Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For those of you interested, and who take CR for what its worth- a full test of the Galant ES 4 cylinder will appear in the May issue. In the April Auto Issue, there is a short writeup, and the car's overall score appears as well. Compared to the rest of the herd of midsizers, the Galant performed only midpack, trailing the overall scores of other 4 cylinder models like the Passat, Accord, Camry, Altima, 6, Malibu. Logically, it also achieved a lower score than the V6 models of those vehicles as well.

The Galant did however, outscore the Duratec V6 Taurus/Sable, Hyundai XG, Kia Optima, Sebring/Stratus V6 and 4, Grand Prix, V6 powered Suzuki Verona, among others.

The critical acclaim of this car is pretty consistent- its a good but undistinguished entry, which I felt as well (I posted regarding my test drive in early Dec.)

~alpha
  • rtolentino2rtolentino2 Member Posts: 50
    Hey Alpha01, based on your comment reg.the full test result of the 4 cyl. 04'Galant, I definitely agree w/ you BUT as to V6 engines - GTS, better read the Auto Review 2004 models & other auto magazines, results are better as compared to previous models. As to Motor Trend Feb. issue, the GTS Galant beats Toyota Camry & Chevy Malibu as no. 2 behind the Accord in this mid-size sedan category. Small details like: small trunk opening & load, no fold down rear seats, no side curtain air bags, no glove compartment lights, no access to navigation system, poor rear visibility - these are all "stupid" small details consumers are looking for. Better see the test results for the V6 engines - Honda is not far away from the GTS Galant but it's no. 1 as to torque is concern.

I'll agree to portknoxxa when he bought his new '04 GTS Galant - you should always consider the power of your engine & torque, as "well" mentioned before here in our site, plus the warranty you can get (10 yrs.-100K)plus safety controls, the style & reasonable price of the car. As to mid-size sedans, GTS Galant is still one of the best - you should first try to test drive a new one before making such negative comments on this car!!! as I have mentioned before, FEEL THE DIFFERENCE & WAKE UP & DRIVE first a new Mitsu Galant- (GTS in particular)& VVRRROOOMMMM!!!!!!
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    Hey guys there is light at the end of the tunnel. There is light in the glove compartment, the other small details mentioned by RTO are small details easily corrected. As far as poor rear visibility, that is directly related to the individual driving the car, seat position, driver's size, etc. That's were car reviews are 100% objective. I have no problems. A fold down rear bench would be nice but it's not mandatory for me. Navigation is a cool toy but if i wanted one i would have gone with the other competitors. I'll agree with alpha01 that the Galant might not be up there with the accord or camry, But that's only in residual/resale value. Honda and Toyota have earned it for over 20+ years, but other than that the Galant has to be really close to those cars, and certainly is better than a Mazda 6 or Altima, and is certainly way ahead of a sonata which i traded in for the GTS, verona, malibu, XG, taurus and the others mentioned are no where near the 2004 galant especially in V6 form. Again when one can "fall in love" with a car and purchase that car based purely on test drives and 1st hand experience without seeing commercials, or "expert reviews", than the car speaks for it self. Another question guys on the Mitsu website Feb 2004. sales where up from Jan. 2004 Sales For the Galant. I was just wondering is that for all Galants or just 2004 Galants. Are they including 2003's in those numbers.
  • houstonsellerhoustonseller Member Posts: 3
    in overall engine performance. The Honda has 10 more horsepower but needs an extra 1000 rpm to produce it. The more telling factor is torque. The GTS has 250 ft-lbs at only 4000 rpm where the Accord needs 5000 rpm to produce only 212 ft-lbs. Since it's torque that gets the car moving the advantage in both output and lower rpm is very significant for the Galant.

The best the Camry can offer is 225hp@5600 and 240ft-lbs@3600. The more mainstream V6 Camry is going to be 210@5800 and 220@4400.

The Galant certainly needs issues such as folding rear seat addressed. It's a great car and I'm honestly more enthused to sell it than I was the Honda's. Mitsubishi has made major advances. They just need the world to catch on and the residuals and ratings to catch up to where the cars actually are.
    The Galant is not a great car, its a good car, and a solid choice for those who desire something that is not another Camry, Accord, or Altima.

I've driven it, I'm not an armchair critic. Problems such as lack of side curtains, marginal fuel economy, and poor resale value are more troubling than the admittedly blantant oversight of a non-folding rear seat.

But if I were a salesman, I'd be excited about selling a product that actually sold, not one that struggles along at a pace of <5000/month, and has received far from critical acclaim. The Road Test by Motor Trend is the only overwhelmingly positive one I have read. Edmunds.com, Car and Driver, James Healy of USA Today, and Consumer Reports articles can be referenced to back my claims.

With respect to the output debate, the Galant 4s and V6 trail the Accord and Camry 4s and V6s from 1-4 MPG, depending on the comparison, something to consider. Interesting that the Camry SE V6 (and rumor has it... all Camrys as of 05) produces but 5 hp and 10 lb. ft. less than the Galant V6, which has a HALF LITER advantage in size. The 2.4L MIVEC is also nowhere near as smooth or quiet as competing 4s, Toyota's imparticularly (Honda is quiet but just a touch rough at idle.)

~alpha
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    It looks like there's a new $1000 rebate this month. Those football players at Carmax have three GTSs (still the same ones from two months ago) for $23,508 and a few more more loaded LSs for $22,518 - now, that's much better but still not good enough to spark overwhelming interest...
  • aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    These are purely subjective, based on my priorities and tastes:

Strengths:

- Good exterior looks, except for the grill
    - Good interior
    - Plenty of torque
    - Good ride
    - Great warranty

Relatively insignificant shotcomings:

- no fold down rear seats
    - no side curtain air bags
    - no access to navigation

Significant shortcomings:

- small trunk opening & load
    - poor rear visibility
    - poor resale value
    - less fuel efficient engine
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0408.htm

The new Galant did well in the offset impact. The structure held up very well. Only one possible leg injury kept it from reaching "best pick" status. Good job Mitsu!
    I was also impressed the way Mitsubishi Galant rated on this crash impact test shown lately on TV - it only shows they did a lot of improvement on their base structure - "as in solid" structure!!!! You should see their latest TV ad to be shown soon!!! "WAKE UP & DRIVE AND FEEL THE DIFFERENCE"!!!!!! VVVRRROOOMMMMM-
    You're very passionate about this good but not great vehicle. I find it puzzling, though laudable, and a breath of fresh air here in the TownHall.

~alpha
  • noleasegalantnoleasegalant Member Posts: 37
    OK people..everyone can't be happy with the new Galants. I mean honestly, give it to me head on. What isn't there to like? I understand that sales so far are in the tank, and Mitsus president was fired and replaced. So everything can't be peaches and cream in Mutsu land?!?!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I saw one up close the other day and it did look very impressive except for those g-d awful wheel covers, what were they thinking! It really detracts from the nice lines of the car.
    I saw a darkish gray one with a redish pin stripe and it looked quite nice. Looked in at the interior and the dash looked very retro and cool, much better than the bland Camry dash but not as cool as the Accords.
    Showed my wife the Accord, as I'm planting the seed in her mind, as I hope this will be her next car in 2006. She sees cars as appliances to get one from point A to B, whereas cars are my passion. I figure if I start early enough, she will learn to like the Accord and we'll have it in the garage!

The Sandman :-)
    Hey Sandman, the one you saw is the cheapest model of an '04 Galant DE. What do you expect for a cheap model?? BUT..... if you look at their options, you could replace them by a 16" or 17" alloy wheels depending on what package you want!!! An LS or GTS models are the most ideal one in terms of style, handling, safety & performance!!!!! I don't agree that Accord's interior is better than the GTS or LS Galant models, except for the "navigation" options wherein Galant don't have yet BUT ---- you should look at their GTS leather interiors w/ a 270 watt Infinity Stereo surround (rated as 1st in this midsize category).

As to "noleasegalant"'s comment, I respect your critics on Mitsu Galants BUT, it's still rated as one of the best 10 cars in this category (Midsize) - No. 06 BUT still doing their best to improve & add some features maybe on their next line of production........As to torque & engine, I personally 100% agree w/ Houstonseller's - GTS beats the rest topic (see previous messages) - you still need to test drive the "real" thing here before critizing the Mitsu Galant ---- "Wake Up baby and Feel the DIFFERENCE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMM!!
    If you are an owner of 2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS, not only is everything peaches and cream, but it's a beautiful world. I'm up to 5000 miles and the car is absolutely fantastic. No problems to report at all, just got the oil changed yesterday. I ordered colored mud guards to match the car (sterling silver), i put in xenon blue low beams-who needs an HID system, added super white turn signals to the back and just wait until I throw some 18" ROH rimz on it. Have not tinted the windows because the cool blue lighting on the dash is well, cool and I like when people in other cars are looking into my car. I have not seen another GTS on the road and I feel very special. I've seen DE's and ES's and few LS's. The car is a pure head turner, cars slowing down to see it, cars speeding up to see it. Like I said before I purchased the GTS for two reasons: styling int/ext and that 3.8L engine. As a GTS owner why do I care if the pres. was fired and sales are slow.
  • ashandgalant04ashandgalant04 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I am new to this site....
    I purchased a DOVE PEARL GTS about 2 weeks ago for $23,900 It is my first new car... I tell you, I am so happy with this car...

PROS:
    fine detailed lines.
    great stereo/cd player.
    steering wheel radio controls.
    white dash cluster
    huge trunk...
    roomy interior
    excellent pick-up and braking...
    I can go on and on.....

CONS: not that many but....here they are.
    Needs the fold down seats-preferred.
    Gas tank cover is manually opened..
    doors are not leather ....
    shift knob could be desinged better....
    radio intergrated with heating control panels....
    incase you wanted to replace the radio you can't...

I love this car... hope to have it for over 10 yrs.... =)

anybody have pictures of their GTS?
    I am willing to share..
    please email me at ashgajjar@hotmail.com
    I wanted the titanium color but I fell in love with the dove pearl...

car is well worth the money..
    How my message helps..

thanks,
    ASH
    OK so everything is great according to you guys. But I live in the NYC area and honestly, and I mean honestly, I can count on one hand the number of '04 Galants I've seen. As to my response to rtolentino2--the good ratings so far HAVE NOT meant lots of sales. Look at the number of midside sedans in the same class and tell me where the Galant ranks in sales...trust me, it ain't good.
    I sat in a silver GTS this weekend and was quite impressed with the leather. It was very soft and supple and looked rich. The seats were perfectly comfortable too. It made me jealous because the leather on my more expensive Diamante is much harder and feels more like vinyl. Mitsu has finally offered a high quality leather. I must agree with ashandgalant04 with regard to the door panels though. The vinyl they use there looks cheap. They need to add a gathered leather look to the panels like they do on the Diamante.
    I also notice that the majority of the Galants mentioned are GTS' which is the top trim. What happened to the ES and LS????? I'll tell you what happened--they are garbage! No one has them (or almost no one). The fact that you have to get the top trim in this class to get any satisfaction should tell folks what to expect. I see and know lots of Toyota Camry LE and SE owners. They don't need to buy the XLS, the top trim in that class(I know a lot of '01 and '00 happy Camry owners--I'll give Mitsu a break by NOT speaking about Honda). I also wouldn't pay $23,000 for ANY Mitsu..not even if Jesus built it--and Mary was the saleswoman!!!!
    Didn't Jesus build the Pope Mobile, 0-60 in 20secs.?? The reason why we talk about the GTS is because it's a great performing car in an age where almost everyone is looking for that car that they can call "fast and furious" In there own mind. All the automakers are focusing on performance even in the family car segment. The ES and LS Galants do not come with a sport tuned suspension, clear tail lenses, and those 17" tires. When I placed an order for a GTS back on Dec. 23 it was only about $1000-1500 more than a LS with diamond pkg and all the other goodies. So why not upgrade. The only reason why I chose the GTS over the LS is because of the look of the GTS. Even with Honda I would not have purchased anything other than a V6 EX top of the line, same with Altima I Would have purchased a 3.5SE. Those cars did not appeal to me at all even if 400,000 are sold, that means nothin' to me. Most Camry's I see on the road are LE's and probably 4cyl. The SE does not differentiate itself that much from a LE or XLE. The SE being the sporty one and the XLE being the luxury one, they both look pretty much the same. The GTS differentiates itself from it's siblings in a major way on the exterior. Honda DX, LX, EX all look the same pretty much. I'm still trying to figure out why sales of these cars are so important to some. I do not care if they discontinue the GTS tomorrow, I am happy guy driving a wonderfully built car and a car that can perform with any in it's class and maybe even out perform them and keep in mind it is the heaviest of the bunch. I guess that 250 tourqe and sport suspension makes a difference. Things like leather on the door, folding rear seat, and how many are on the road do not concern me one bit. Not every car was meant to sell 400k units per year and I'm fine with that.
  • n6547tn6547t Member Posts: 7
    I have had 3 D's 1993, 1997, and 2000. We just turned in the 2000 for an 04 GTS. The build quality on the GTS is much better than on any of the D's. I have a gut feeling that there is a lot of difference between the GTS and other Galants in terms of looks and performance - have not driven other models of the Galant. I also bought a Toyota LE for my mother the day after we took delivery of the GTS. I feel that it is a fine car but has absolutely no personalty. It dose everything well but is dull. I would agree that there is no reason to spend the money for the XLS. When I see Camrys on the road I can not tell one model from another. At least the GTS stands out from all the other Asian cars.

As to the GTS vs D's build quality. I have found nothing wrong with the GTS (the Toyota speedometer is off by 3 miles per hour at 60mph)
    as delivered. I also find the seats more comfortable than the D's and the heated seats are much better in coverage. The GTS is not as quiet and rides stiffer but handles soooo much better. We live in the Boston area and have property in Vermont which is a 4 hour ride away. We have not had a chance to make this trip yet but I am looking forward to it already. In the D's I was always happy to get their. to me the mark of a really good car is one that you can drive 4 to 6 hours and when you get to your destination you look for a reason to get back in and drive some more.
    Like I've been saying,,,you have to get the top of the line GTS to get ANY satisfaction in this segment...Look at the high incentive packages Mitsu had to put out in '03 just to look respectable. BTW, I think Jesus even has enough sense to drive a Camry now..just like all the other 400000+ suckers. Quality (Camry) talks, BS (Mitsu) walks!!!!
    I'm just curious what kind of quality problems you had with the 97 and 00 Diamante? I own an 03 currently so I'd like to hear what issues you had. So far, I've run into a wind noise problem, clogged washer nozzles, and warped front rotors. The paint quality is also really bad on the pendleton black. Otherwise, the car seems to be fine and I do like it, but I'd like to know if I should look out for any other problems. Also, how much firmer is the Galant GTS's ride compared to the Diamante? I know it will be quite a bit firmer over bumps and around turns but would you consider it supple or does it hit bumps pretty hard? Is it comfortable riding on the highway or a tad too firm? I might look into one in a year or so, thus my curiousity.
  • subarusaleshousubarusaleshou Member Posts: 161
    I've driven all 4 trim levels and you don't "have" to go to any one to get quality. You only have to go to the one that has all the features you want. I would personally be satisfied with any of the 4 levels that someone wanted to give me. If I'm going to spend my money I'm going for the GTS because I want a hot rod. If I didn't want the significant performance emphasis I'd look at the ES with a couple of packages on it.

nolease, you appear to have a definite dislike of Mitsubishi and your posts give the impression of an agenda to denegrate Mitsu. Perhaps that's not the case but that's what I see when I read any of your postings.

My .02
    Just one (1) final comment to all: I agree w/ Portknoxxa & n6547T - it's not a matter of "figures" in no. of sales BUT the performance (as to HP & torque)& to be different as compared to Camry/Honda & Nissan - they really look alike to each other - DULL & could not tell & differentiate an ES,SE to XLE, etc. What matter to me most is : being different from the other mid-size cars - Galant has lots of improvements on their '04 Models particularly the GTS - handling & style in its class!!!! I love the pics. you sent me portknoxxa on my email!!!!

As I have mentioned before on my previous messages: FEEL THE DIFFERENCE / WAKE UP & DRIVE!!!!!!!!!! VVVVVRRRRROOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!
    No, I don't hate Mitsu.. but as a former owner I will state how I feel about the car. I have that right after $20,000+ spent and another $4000-$6,000 on repairs!! Like I've been saying Mitsu can't be the new sedan utopia if sales have been in the tank for the last year or so...
    If I had a choice between a BMW 525i, 530i, 545i, and M5 you better believe that I'm taking the M5. MB E320, E500, or E55, not even close. E55 all the way. There is nothing wrong with the other Galant trims I've seen them all and test drove the LS and an ES. The LS which I liked a lot just did not have the aggressiveness that I wanted in a car, and I was driving a 2002 Sonata GLS at the time so a serious upgrade was in order. I would not call Camry/Accord buyers suckers, they just followed a trend to buy those cars, but not I. The performance of the GTS is all I need. Hey nolease, I bet that a Galant LS will out perform a Camry XLE.
    Let me get this straight..you think a '04 LS Galant will outperform a '04 XLS Camry?!?!. I think those commercials have your brain on lockdown!! Hey you take the LS and I'll take the XLS as in 2000, or 2001. You know what--I have nothing to lose--make it a 1999 XLS!! You might, just might make it if 1)The brakes don't give 2)The altenator does not fail, or 3) Mitsu decided to finally get it right and hire some Toyota people!!!! Anyway, I guess I could use the extra $$$ for another car...
    Maybe you could reiterate for us what made you so sour on Mitsubishi. Like what problems did you have with your Galant and at what mileage? What year is your car? Do you still even own it?

I'm just really curious why you feel the need to continually slam the company's cars. I had a poor excuse of a car from Suzuki. I traded it in and never looked back. I don't keep going in the forums and tell other Aerio owners how crappy their cars are. Mitsubishi builds a quality car whether you believe it or not. You can't judge their cars as a whole based on your 1 bad experience. I've owned 3, one with very high mileage and they all proved reliable. Though my current Diamante hasn't been perfect, the issues I have had were minor (other then the rotors). I still would buy another Mitsu product in a heartbeat. Toyota builds nice cars, but they are by no means perfect and the company is often arrogant about problems and slow to admit it and fix it.
    For one thing if you're one of a few owners of the Galant and the company is not making money on it and other models, the dealership network will slowly disappear. I&#146;m not saying that Mitsu is in dire straits but they&#146;re not doing too well either. I know of two dealerships in my area but others are not so fortunate (I also saw two of them close in the past few years). It&#146;s not as bad as Isuzu or Suzuki but it&#146;s getting there.

Some of you might not care because you keep your cars for a couple of years, so the long-term PROVEN reliability, the dealership network and the future of the company are not as important.

For many, including myself who likes to keep his cars for 10+ years, those things are very important and I&#146;d say it shows in the sales figures… The GTS needs to get down to sub-20K to sway people like me into buying it and increase the sales volume significantly.

I will then go to the local Carmax and take one of the Galants off their hands (though they managed to sell two GTS and one DE trim in the past two months - yay!)
    You are kidding right? A GTS below $20k new?? That simply isn't possible. Not even Kia and Hyundai can pull off a car with the GTS's credentials below 20k. Mitsu might as well pack up their bags then give away cars at that price.

As far as proven reliability, Mitsubishi has been selling cars in this country for quite some time, almost as long as Honda and Toyota. Their reliability record was excellent until the mid-90s hit, at which time they slumped a little but have since gone back up. I'm not quite sure how much more proof you need that they are capable of building a reliable car. Their reliability record and uniqueness is what keeps me coming back to them over and over.
  • nybill38nybill38 Member Posts: 12
    I just want to say that myself and my family have owned Galants ever since they were first introduced back in the mid 80s and have never had any problems with them at all....outside of a transmission problem in the 85 but that was caused by a mechanic replacing the axel boot and snipped the hose and all the fluid ran out. I just bought a 1990 Sigma which is a glorified version of the Galant and my parents just got an Endeavor about 2 weeks ago...no problems yet (knock wood) minor issue with the right windsheild wiper...the rubber blade appeared to be cut...could have happened during transport...a $9 repair...no biggie...cheaper then driving it to the dealer for a warranty replacement.
    There is no way any dealer sold a GTS for under 20K...I think you'd be very lucky to find one under 25K unless it was a dealer demo in that case I can see the 20K
    Just so you know I ordered my GTS before any commercials were out, and there were no comparisons out either. I ordered it just after Christmas, great present to myself. All I had at my disposal was a test drive of a GTS, Camry XLE, Altima 3.5, and Accord EX V6. I'm not too familiar with past Galants and their problems or reliability, or resale values, but it seems to me that you are automaticlly condemning the Galant based on the past. This is a totally new car inside and out. I'll gladly compare my GTS(or LS if I had 1) to your Camry and we could do a full evaluation and go title for title fast and furious style.
    I just happend to purchase my GTS from a new dealer that opened up. It used to be a Suzuki dealer. Here in N.Y. specifically on Long Island there are several dealers within 30 miles of my home, and I went to almost all of them when I was looking at the car. I understand your point about the dealer network disappearing because of low sales, but I do not think that will happen to the point of Daewoo. And your also right about how long you own the car. If Mitsu. redesigns the GTS and gives it more power, I'll be lining up to upgrade my 2004. I cannot keep a car for 5+ years. A new GTS for under $20K, I'd rather Mitsubishi discontinue the car than disrespect it. With 5100 miles on mine this truly is a great car.
    Just curious- why did you compare the Galant GTS to the luxury version Camry instead of the SE with its more powerful, torquier, more efficient engine.... and better handling?

Mitsu did the same bizzare thing in their commercials. Whats the justification?

~alpha
    Wow--I must have touched a nerve..I'll say it again, and again, and again. Until Mitsu gets it right, I will continue to come down hard on them. For everyone's info I had an 1999 ES V6. The BMW look attracted me to the car(mistake 1!). I car was in the shop 4X in three months and another 3x within the year. It's not just the '99's that had problems. Look at the following years folks.. AND the biggie for me is the RESALE VALUE. For all you Mitsu lovers out there here's a joke for ya--give your 04's 1 year--no make it a 1 and a half. Then tell me what your $23,000 dream car will be worth!! If you get more than $10,000 for it, the person you sold it to was DEAF, DUMB, and VERY BLIND!!!
    For all you Mitsu lovers..
    '03 Galant GTS w/40000 miles
    VS '03 Camry XLS w/40000 miles --- Which car is worth more?????????????????????????????
    I bet Mistu won't advertise THIS on seewhathappens.com!!!
    however your posts speak differently. I understand you had a previous Galant and had problems. That was/is not the new '04 model. You have nothing but past experience and yet you talk like you are an expert on the new car based on current personal experience.

I'll grant you that the 90's weren't kind to Mitsubishi and vice versa. That has changed in the last few years. I'll also agree that a 2-3 yr old Mitsu isn't the car to sell or trade. That is because the resale value is still fighting it's way back up from the 90's cars that rightfully reduced it. The fine print is that cars aren't meant to be traded every 2-3 yrs anyway.

Your posts make me think of a guy who was married once to a real you know what. He divorces her and marries a much nicer girl but his prior bad experience clouds everything and he can't enjoy his new wife or life due to being so consumed by his prior situation.
    A fully loaded Honda EX V6 sells for 24K without any rebates, a loaded Toyota SE V6 sells for 23.5K (both with leather, traction, 5-auto, curtains, etc.), Mitsu Galant GTS sells for 23K - Guess which one people are overwhelmingly buying... I can guarantee you (I will even bet five bucks!) that the GTS will be at 19,999 or less by the end of this year (and that's before Mitsu's traditional $3K loyalty rebate in the last quarter). There's no other way.
    I can say that in my area the Honda is going to be about $25k before any small rebates they may offer. It's a very good car. The Galant is also a very good car. I'm not a Toyota fan. I'm not going to trash them the way nolease does the Mitsubishis, I just don't personally like them. Mitsu needs to have the reputation catch back up to the current vehicles. Their rep is poor and it was deserved from the late 90's. It is not deserved now. There is a significant difference in the product. Unfortunately people like nolease can't see how good the current wife is because they are fixated on the ex.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    OK, I've got a 99 LS with 86,000 on the clock. Here's what I've experienced so far:

- A couple of minor recalls.
    - Front brakes redone under warranty at 22K.
    - Trim piece caught by a car wash: not Mitsu's fault.
    - Front brake job at 60K; rear at 67K.
    - A set of tires .. I don't recall the mileage but prob. in the 50s.
    - 2 taillight bulbs, 1 headlight bulb.

Still on the original muffler, hoses, etc. Belts replaced at 60K. Wipers replaced every 15K. Trans flushed every 30K.

And the only real non-wear things I've had to pay for are why the car's at the dealer right now:

- A leaking head gasket. Minor enough that leakage wasn't even making it off the engine block (no spot in the garage).
    - A flaky oil pressure sensor (the oil light would flicker on rare occasions).
    - A blown center speaker (more my fault than Mitsu and just 1 of the 7).

The gasket ain't cheap once labor is factored in; the oil sensor is cheap. The speaker .. I considered aftermarket but if the factory one last another 5 years that's plenty for me.

Considering I've done nothing but the recommended maintenance over 5 years of ownership, and that I haven't had a payment for 3 of those 5 years, I'm not complaining and am quite satisfied with my car. The head gasket issue I wasn't expecting, but a single significant repair in 5 years of ownership is trivial. And it's not nearly as significant as, say, the trans blowing out, which happened every 38K on the Mazda that the Mitsu replaced.

Now, regarding the 04s, I wouldn't buy one because, unlike another poster, I require a trunk pass-through. That single, relatively minor feature is a deal-killer for me. I also prefer the classier looks of the 99-03 years vs. the sportier appearnace of the 04s. And as a personal preference, every new car I buy has to get better mileage than what it replaces, so my next car has to beat the 19/27 my Galant was speced with. BTW, in mixed driving I still average 23-25MPG and averaged 26.5 on a recent 400 mile trip, which included a moderate bit of stop-n-go traffic.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    is no target demographic or no selling point. Look at their Japanese Competitors and their selling points...

Mazda...young and fun.
    Honda...known for nice interiors, good resale value, and reliability.
    Toyota...they are bland cars but Toyota fans swear by Toyota.
    Nissan...quirky and sporty.
    Mitsu...where is the target demographic at?

Chrysler hurt Mitsu with the Eclipse. The Dodge Neon engine put in 95-99 Eclipse's ruined Mitsu's reputation like the Ford Tranny put in 94-97 Mazda 626's ruined Mazda's reputation. I think Mazda has gotten their reputation back. I don't think Mitsu has recovered from their mid 90's blunder's yet.

I think the thing that are killing Mitsu's resale value is yeah the mid 90's reliability problems with the Galant and Eclipse but also very low demand of for Mitsu's now. Also factory rebates kill resale value as well.

Also I have seen NoseGalant's post: The main problem with 99-03 Galant's was the brakes.
    There is good and bad with all cars and trucks, i've had Galants and Mirages ever since 1985 and never ever had a workmanship or mechanical problem that wasnt' cause by someone else on any of those cars. I've also had to Mercury's both were junk...and 2 Subaru's both very reliable cars although not very stylish. I just bought a 1990 Sigma and if I can find one i'd love an 85 Galant again....
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    When the delaer started on the work, they discovered it was the valve cover gasket & not the head gasket. The leakage was running around and made it look like the head gasket. So the repair was quite a bit less expensive.

Oil pressure switch: replaced.

New center speaker: ordered; should come in next week.

It practically runs like it's brand new.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I'm just pitting the top of the line against the top of the line, but I'll gladly put my GTS against a Camry SE P.S. Resale value does not hurt the performance and handling of a car!
    What is everyone Dr. Phil all of a sudden?? A person can't disagree with someone without having an agenda?? Point blank --I tried the Mitsu, didn't like it--case closed, and will continue to drive something OTHER than a Mitsu. I'm pretty sure some people hated Scooby Doo 2 when it came out--it does not mean they have an agenda...BTW, I my wife and I will be celebrating our fifth wedding aniversary in September!!!
    I was initially surprised you were mentioning a head gasket problem because that is an extremely rare failure on Mitsubishi engines, especially their V6. I was about to ask if you meant to say valve cover gasket, but you beat me to it. Glad to hear that was the problem.
    At least you got the discussion going - it was extremely dead here for a while. It's also too early to make any comments about NEW Galant's quality and its depreciation - we can only speculate and it causes lots of friction :-)

I'd say the general public cares for the new Galant as much as they did for the old one (almost nill) and it shows 'cause the price was jacked up so much.

Yes, there's some new technology here, the V6 engine is outdated though should be extremely dependable but people don't care 'cause it's a Mitsu and a Galant on top of that - that's the legacy that was created and it will take years to change it if ever.

I agree that the demographic targeting is non-existent. Racer boys, overall, buy more exciting and better performing cars and family people don't care about dodging trash on the highway. So much money spent on nothing - truly sad :-(

$19,999 here we come...
    Thats alright, I've already read Edmunds.com comparison test which included the sporting versions of the Camry (SE V6) and Galant (GTS). Thanks for the offer, though. Happily, the Camry (SE V6) will be getting 17 inch rubber standard for 2005. Does Mitsu have any plans to introduce side curtains on this vehicle? Stability control would also be a nice addition. I find the newly enhance powertrain warranty very attractive.

~alpha
    and best wishes for getting to 50. The point I was trying to make is that your negative opinion is based on the past not the current Galant. It seems that all your negativity is based on that past reference and datapoint. You are entitled and welcome to your opinion. I only was attempting to point out that you are making apples to oranges comparisons and statements, thus the former/current wife analogy. It also makes me think of someone refusing to go to a restaurant that has been completely remodeled and has an entire new team of chefs, waitstaff and management because during the 1996-1999 period it wasn't a good place to eat.