Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    My 99 Galant LS V6, now 6 years old and with 97K miles, has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Still not perfect, but in terms of 'gotcha' maintenance, I've only had one thing that I can think of off-hand. It was a gasket repair that ran on the order of $500. I posted about it in this thread some time within the past year.

I bought a 5 year/100K extended warranty for my Galant and never used it.

Of course YMMV, but I probably wouldn't bother. Take the $ the warranty would cost and stuff it in a savings account, CD, or invest it. Use that to cover any repairs that come up. Anything shy of an engine overhaul or tranny would probably be covered by the $ you set aside. Or set aside an extra $50/paycheck or something and use that for maintenance. If you never use it, you'll build up a nice downpayment for your next car.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The most reliable car you've owned required a $500 repair? And did it occur in the last year? Because it would have been covered under the 100K warranty, yes?

~alpha
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    13K wins the prize, thats an awesome deal, Where are you located that there are any "new" 2004 Galants on the lot? I know our local lot was done wit 04's monts ago...anyway..13,000 is a steal, yo couldn't even do that goodwitha hyndai, and Mitsu will pobably prove t be a better car. I have a 2004 ES thats nearing 23K miles w/ Zero problems..I gave our neighbor a ride to enterprise car rental, and was asking them If they hAD ANY 04 + galants and he said "Mitsubishi is'nt willing to accomidate them anymore" I guess fleet sales weren't really doing Mitsu much good...although they had a couple of hi mileage '03 Galants selling for 10K.

PKP:You can't even get a Base model DX Accord or camry for that,,let alone a homely looking Civic, and the Galant is a Hell alot better lookking IMHO..Buy it or i will :)
    I think he was stating that a $500 repair was made, not that they actually had to pay it.

I agree, extended warranties with the exeption of a Manufac warranty extender are of No financial security..I had one on a Ford, so therefore I thought wow, I will get my Moneys worth" Not, I had to threaten them with a Lawyer to get them to pay for a radiator my first and only claim, and they already had $900 of my money..a couple of major warrant companies just folded also..If you feal you must have one, get it from manufacture..stay away from Heritage TPA retention company, they will take your money and run..Sean
  • pkp413pkp413 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you all for your feedback.

I bought a new 2004 Galant ES for $13,200 base +Tax/Title ($14,300 out the door). My dealer still has one more ES and two or three LS models on the lot. I would have paid even less if I owned another Mits already ($1500 Loyalty Rebate). Actually, there was a 1992 Mits Eclipse listed locally for $800 that I considered buying, but MN takes too long to get title in my name (which is what the loyalty rebate requires). The invoice price according to carsdirect is $18,600. I am sure they are quality cars. There was an article in Business Week few weeks ago about the financial state of Mitsu. I hope it survies long enough, at least through the 3 year free maintenance period. The article also stated that Galant performed better than both Accord and Camry in acceleration and braking. I am pleased with the purchase since local classified ads want $12995 for used 2004 Galants with anywhere between 8K and 24K miles. I think Galant is a great value compared to its competitors in reliable family sedans category.
    Yes, quite impressively, Mitsubishi chose the GTS V6 (its most sporting and lowest volume model) to compare against the Accord EX V6 and Camry XLE V6. In actuality, Mitsu should have leveled the field by using the sport edition Camry (SE), but perhaps they didnt want to, given that car's similar hp and torque.

Aside from that you, got a great deal! Congratulations!

~alpha
    PKP; you did very well on your Mitsu purchase, thats an awesome price by at least 4Grand or so. Mitsus financial status isn't the greatest, but they just got another 3billion from there sister Mitsubishi company's, If you really search, you will find that it is really starting to level out. Mitsubishi cars/suv have generally been well received by the Media. Today I probably saw a dozen or so 04+05 Galants, most were ES with the Alloys and Sunroof, and a couple GTS's, seems every day I see about 2 more, They really are nice cars, and should prove to be very durable. My 04 with over 20K miles still handles/drives/brakes like it did at 1K miles. brake problems seem no longer in this Generation Galant. (you do have 4whl disk on your galant also, which may help. Welcome to Mitsubishi and enjoy your new ride ....Sean
  • fellyfelly Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for your opinions. This is what I'm afraid off, pay $1,500 and not use it. But on the other hand, is that piece of mind knowing that if anything happens, the bill will be covered (minus the $50 deductable). I checked Continental Warranty and Direct warranty. Any experience with either one?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    5 year/100K warranty. The 5 years had elapsed. Yes, it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Not that I buy a new car every year or two, but it has been more reliable than:

85 Sentra: Went through clutches anout every 50-55K, including stranding me 800 miles from home. Was rusting a lot. Fuel system issues. Other misc problems.

88 Topaz: $1700 in various repairs in 1 summer. Worst vehicle in terms of maintenance $/month. Also, there was a recall for AT-equipped cars where the engine would just start revving really fast to the point of riding the brakes just to stay DOWN to highway speeds, but mine was a MT and Merc didn't issue the recall for MT-equipped cars. Totally untrustworthy.

88 Camry: Trans blew @ 62K, $2200 repair.

93 Mazda MX3: Trans blew at 37K and again at 76K. Mazda wouldn't cover a loaner car when there were delays getting the parts to the dealer. Wouldn't start when it was very cold out. Various other minor issues.

99 Galant: That $500 repair occurred with over 80K on the odometer and has really been about the only non-wear repair it's needed.

There are no other issues with the car. EPA rated at 19/27, with mostly city driving I still average 24-25MPG in summer and 21-22 on that crap they call winter blend gas. It's survived the hot Chicago summers and the cold Chicago winters just fine. I keep looking at the new cars & small SUVs out there, and I visit these forums to stay informed, but I can't justify getting rid of a car that just works.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • ralphiedralphied Member Posts: 1
    I am trying desperately to find out what the technincal specifications of my infinity speakers are in a 2005 Galant GTS. I can not seem to find it anywhere online. Does anyone know how to obtain this information?(Wattage, OHM, etc) It is also not in the manual. This is the 270 watt Infinity 8 speaker system that came standard. The only thing I noticed on the 6x9's in the back are the model MR318619. Tried to research on infinitys site and they have nothing.
  • cneducnedu Member Posts: 4
    I'd just test-drive a new Galant ES 2004 and the 4-cylinder engine was really noisy when accelerating. Is this how it is supposed to be - or the car tested has a problem?

Should I go to another dealer ?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'm curious what cars you are comparing the noise too? This engine isn't as quiet as V6s or the Camry's four banger, but its on par with the Accord/Altima/6. I have the same engine in my 04 Lancer and I find it to be a smooth reasonably quiet engine. It definitely not loud or annoying.
    I beleive what you are hearing/feeling is not the actual engine itself, but it is not as well muffled thru the variuos motor mounts and insulation, I drive a 2004 Galant 4cyl, and notice a huge difference when it is warm out, the engine is almost undetectible, warm = expansion of rubber mounts = less room to move. ,Like ing said, its hardly annoying, in fact i think it is the perfect noise/feel for a 4cyl,just a slight growl, My fords engine V6 was quiet, but didnt do much good when it sat at Ford dealer for blown gaskets and overheating,

I find my brothers V6 powered new grand prix,less refined than my 4Cyl Galant, sloppy interior, cheap switchgear, you know, typical GM's excuse for quality. I was happy to hop back into my 4banger Mits.heck, it even handles better than his new Grand P, imho. I'm growing more attached to my Galant the more "me to" cars I see. Mitsubishi Motors is under-appriciated by media and public, I think they offer us something a little different, than the typical, Accord/camry/Altima boring trio, while maintaining quality and durability, I'm over 21K miles on My Mits, tight as a drum..Looking at adding the Raider Pickup when Mitsu final releases it... What other company has a Lancer? subaru? NO. Im as American as the next guy, but why does everybody want the same car that sells in mass quantity? not me. It amazes me how successfull Gen. motors is, when there build quality is still lagging. some awesome powertrains, but when everything falls apart around it, and There styling is another subject, incentives,incentives,incentives, my brother got his new GP for 5,000 under MSRP, AT the beginig of the year on top of that, he loves Pontiacs, But addmitted to me he would Own a galant in its GTS form, 3.8L in a galant. MITSU rules, they just need a Long intense, ball busting lesson on Marketing there great products...IMHO
    Actually, I think cnedu was right on. From my first drive of the MIVEC Galant in December '03, one of the main reservations I posted on this very thread was that the 4 was VERY noisy when accelerating, compared to its competitors- even the Altima.

sean3- I think the reason that Mitsu is finding itself in its currently unfavorable position in the US is that it offers NOTHING different, except for the awesome Evo. Why should a consumer buy a Galant over any of the more critically acclaimed sedans? This mainstream vehicle has work cut out for it- a new Camry is about 12 months away, the much improved and redesigned Sonata will debut in the Spring, there's a new Ford Fusion, etc. Our rental Lancer was a good car, but in 2005, I'd say all cars are at least good cars. Perhaps the new Eclipse will shake things up, but there wasnt that much interest at the Philly auto show.

~alpha
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    What do you mean by noisy? A vibration, a whine, etc...? My Outlander was a little noisy when accelerating (sounded like it was coming from the exhaust system). I found a TSB for it, took it to the dealer, and the noise is now gone.
    I cannot say if it was a vibration or something else - even with closed windows, thow the sound was attenuated, was still strong. Only when accelerating. It was not a slight growl. And on the highway ramp, on strong acceleration the engine was really roaring. It is true - it has lots of torque and power. At highway speed is was ok. Anyhow - it was louder than Camry, Accord or Altima.

And since it is the last car on the lot I was wondering if the noise is normal or that specific car has a problem.

Thanks for postings guys !
    I've been in an 05 Altima and my mom owns an 05 Acura TSX. The Altima's four banger was quite loud when pushed hard and was still easily audible when accelerating normally. My Lancer with the 2.4 Galant engine is a bit quieter under full throttle and about the same under regular acceleration. My mom's TSX is quieter although you still hear the typical four cylinder sound effects (it has a more powerful version of the Accord's engine).

Maybe what you are hearing is the typical Mitsubishi buzz. Their 4 cylinder engines sort of have a buzzy tone and the exhaust is a little throatier. I suppose some people could be more sensitive to the noise then others. I personally find them perfectly acceptable in the noise department. They aren't the quietest engines but they are by no means loud and annoying. The Outlander is a bit quieter then my Lancer so I can't imagine the Galant being worse then both of them. I would try another Galant just to be sure that one didn't have an exhaust leak or something. And I surely hope you are doing the same full throttle acceleration onto the highway with the comparing cars.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    I own a GTS, and I've never driven the Mitsu 4 CYL. But can it possibly be that the noise from the engine is due to maybe the 2.4 not being powerful enough to move the heavy Galant and with only a 4 speed. And the car is kinda struggling a bit. I don't know?
    I think that is it, the Galant is no lightweight in its class, so revs higher at dead stop, I still say it is not he engine, it is how its mounted/insulation.

my '04 I guess could be better insulated, but as I said the Galant seems at home on the interstate 70mph w/cruise set. I would guess it had no bearing on Galant's longevity. But Galant has a very solid design, much less than my brothers GP, I drove it for about 400miles and found, although its a larger car, it did not feal as solid in suspension and body flexing.

Cednu, Most cars especially 4cyl will sound ruff in cold weather, untill completly warmed up, and has shifted through its gears. I know my Galant quiets down when warmed, even here in cold winter chicago. I would say the Galant has a good cooling sytem, as mine takes forever to climb the temp guage, Mitsu did overlook a couple things-folding seat-5speed auto,5sp manual, but think they made up for it in a solid, good lookin (even sporty) sedan, since we need to keep a sedan around I am thinkng about trading for a Loaded LS Galant, but I am very happy with my ES, unless I can get a good trade w/loyalty rebate...I do like the fact they added more airbags. crazy a#$ drivers.. The Galant has been around longer than you think, though not in the US, I had experience with a 1990 US galant nearing 200,000 abused miles..
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The engine in the 04 Galant 4 cylinder I had as a rental was much louder/buzzier than the 4 cylinder in my Civic and the 4 cylinder in my Accord.
  • pkp413pkp413 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had good experience with a mp3/wma player (perferably with aux-in) with 2004 Galant ES or other Mitsubishi models with similar standard audio package?

Thanks.
    IHHO, I'll take a little engine buzz over the dated civic, or the Uninspired frumpy Accord anyday, (save for accord coupe)

Accord sedan looks like It got rear ended at the factory, and the slab sided look didn't do anything for me, otherwise a fine vehicle. they have cheapened the Civic every year since 2000, Civics used to seem popular, I hardly see any new models around, Accord redesigns always looked good, but this Gen. they messed up (exterior) Seems Honda lost there inspiration for style? Later Sean
    I posted late last night about my accident, but i guess i say one word that was between G and Pg 13, anyway this "lady" decided no to yield on her left turn, and galant got a good smack, hood fender griile bumper, "she" had no valid insurance, all i know is thank god my family was not hurt, and glad I have uninsured motors protection. Icy road, i had zero reaction time, her car (2000 grand am) was about twic as damaged as my car, she had a bad attitude towards me and the officer, she actually had the nerve to tell me that "it was none of my business "

Ya, you slam into my car and its none of my business? you "lady" well the "lady" was cited for "failure to yield to right of way vehicle" road conditions were noted also, My Galants airbags did NOT deploy, though I don't see them as doing anything, my collar bone has been sore since late last nite, fro the seat belt, I remeber the seatbelt locking up quickly, But No airbags? "lady" tried to tell officer my lights werent on, he turned my car to On position and voila the light come on even if you turn them off, which of course they were on, i;ve driven nearly 9 years, and have a very good record for my age, officer was not ammused with her lying, I went out early to look at Galant and It was pretty nasty looking, the headlamp-bumper-grille-fender were compacted back the headlight is pushed back and down, hood is under tension,

My agent is supposed to call me sometime today, They stated my Uninsured motorist was in force, a relief, was late will this months premium, I did refuse an ambulance,anybody else was with me, i would have, My galant will never be the same, but I know the damage is up in the thousands, if it was on other drivers ins, id have a hay day, but it will be on mine, if they ever collect from her they will return my premium (ya that'll happen)they said they will send me a rental today, galants smacked up, but the little beast still start and drives fine, her car would not even start back up...good :), I'm glad her car is worse off than mine, She SHOULD not have been drving without it. It's people like her that Inflate Ins rates directly, Illinois may be midwest, but we still have to have at least 100Kliability,

If I had more than a sore colar bone I think i would be seeking an attorney, but shes got nothin I want, besides a wrecked Pimped Out wanna be Grand-Am, and no insurance....Any ideas on getting fixed? Thanks Sean..
    Actually - I found the problem with the buzz - the engine is Mivec and if it not warmed enough it simply not switching to high-speed mode. Therefore the noise/roaring/buzz.

Thanks all !
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I checked out the Galant at the Philly auto show on Friday. My only real complaint was the fake aluminum all over the dash. I don't like the stuff to begin with, and there was way too much of it. It made the interior look cheap, when in reality the parts quality was not bad. Overall I thought the car was a good entry for its segment, and I can't fathom why the Hyundai Sonata is outselling it. The Sonata has a nice exterior, but the base model interior is very plain and stark. Not junky, but not much of anything really.

I'm really baffled by the current state of Mitsu. Other than the current Eclipse, which had a very cheap interior, I couldn't find much to complain about on the Mitsus I saw at the show, given their price points and competitors. The people at MMSA must be looking at each other saying, "Where did we go right?"

-Andrew L
    The Sonata is a 6 year-old about to be replaced vehicle. It also sells at a stronger price/value point than the Mitsubishi, and the majority of Sonatas are the 2.7L V6, as compared to the less strong, noiser, though more fuel efficient Mitsu MIVEC. For a lot of consumers, the controlled ride, good power, high feature content... speak very loudly as compared to the Mitsu's portfolio of non-distinction.

~alpha
    So was the Galant's engine quieter and more to your liking after it was warmed up fully?
    Oh yes, absolutely. Actually I end up buying it - and I have no regrets about it.
    Well, congrats on your new car! Glad you gave it another chance and you should enjoy many troublefree years of service. I knew the MIVEC engine couldn't be as loud as was being described. But since you mentioned the temperature thing, I have noticed my Lancer's MIVEC engine is noticeably louder on acceleration until the temp gauge hits the center mark.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    Kinda a funny mentioning the Sonata. I actually traded in my '02 Sonata GLS for the Galant GTS. The Sonata was a great car inside and out, EXCEPT for the sport part. There was none. The car had no sportiness to it. I drove a 3.5 Altima in the summer of 2003 for the 1st time and was very impressed. But I don't like Altimas. So I waited and then I saw the Galant specifically the GTS. And as they say it was a wrap. Just for the record I was happy with the sonata and if you do not care about HP, torque, sport tuned suspensions, 17" wheels, the current Sonata is a great car. The new Sonata looks to be even better.
  • ksuenksuen Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to get a 2003 Galant. Can anyone tell me if it is reliable? I am currently driving a Honda Del Sol with over 200K miles. It is still running OK but it is time to get something newer. I don't want to spend too much and the 2003 Galant is within my budget. Please email me @ dumpster71@yahoo.com. I appreciate any advise.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I own one. If your getting the 4cyl. or 6 cyl. they are both very reliable. If your getting an '03-I assume that there is so sort of factory warranty still left. No matter how good the car-it's always buyer beware!
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The 03 Galant is a great car. I have a top of the line LS V6 w/ every option. The V6 is plenty powerful and it handles pretty well for a fwd car.

I don't like the styling of the new car and prefer the older body style of the 99-03 generation. I think it's every bit as reliable as a Honda or Toyota. I worked for Mitsu for several years and bought one after I left the company. Depreciation is steep and I was able to pick up a very low mileage 03 that stickers for almost $25,000 new for a hair over 15 grand.

There are a bunch on the base ES 4 bangers out they beacuse of the rental fleets. So you shouldn't have much trouble finding one. They're everywhere. But the higer end LS and GTZ'a are a bit harder to find.
  • richnflrichnfl Member Posts: 1
    I own an 03 Galant ES w/Sun & Sound package. I have enjoyed the car for the most part. Prior to owning the Galant I was a Toyota Camry owner.

My Galant experience has been mixed. I am very upset by the steep depreciation. I am almost $11k upside down. I have 26k miles on the car and it has been in the shop for brakes and sunroof repairs. The Mitsubishi dealer in my area is rude and unprofessional. I like the look of the Galant and the it has the smoothest ride of any vehicle I have ever owned.

I can't say my next car will be a Mitsu however. Since the companies future is uncertain and the dealer experience tends to be poor. I will spend my money elsewhere.
  • jaygejayge Member Posts: 2
    We just sold our 1990 Mitsubish Galant (original owners) with 120,000 miles on it. The inside and outside looked beautiful. Mitsubishi has probably the best finishes of anyone. Also the car was in excellent shape and expenses for the time we owned it were almost nil.

We just bought the new 2005 Galant V6 and love it in every way.

The Galants are really built well and the prices are excellent with extremely good rebates and best Warranty all around.
  • jaygejayge Member Posts: 2
    The Mitsubishi Galants are great cars. We put in over 120,000 miles on ours with little repairs and sold it for a good price because it was in excellent condition in and out. It was so great we bought the new 2005 V6 Galant LS and it does have ABS and front and side air bags and we just love it. Galants have long term reliability and low maintenance costs - go ahead and get yours.
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Could pls someone tell me from their own experience (not from reading magazines) the actual mileage 2004-2005 Galant GTS gets with 3.8L on a gallon of gas? Tomorrow (Monday 7th) I have to give answer to my dealer if I take Galant GTS or not. Deal is too sweet not to take, but if the gas goes toward 3-4 dollars a gallon and the car has poor fuel economy, I'll be rather riding bus... Thanx everyone in advance.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    CR just rated the reliability above average(red check mark)for the whole 99-03 generation of Galant. The only bad mark the last generation Galant got was for the brakes. Everything else CR marked pretty good. It was a great improvement in terms of reliability from the 93-98 Galant I think. CR don't reccomend the 97 Galant for a used car.
    I to had experience with a 1991 Galant with nearly 180K,(learned to drive on it) and last year I bought the 2004 Galant, Though the 2004 is solid in my opinion, the 1991 had a just as good build quality, but I beleive these were actually made in Japan, and the newer generations are cheapened, not in reliability, but in material quality, though the 1991 Galant required maintnance, the engine was not showing any signs of giving up nearing 200K abused miles. IMHO, I am picky about exterior panel finish and gaps, and I have yet to find one on my 2004 Galant, paint seems thick also.I really think Mitsu did a great job on the 2004 redesign, especially the side profile, very aggresive and sporty for a 4door, much better than Accord and Camry...
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Though the 2004 is solid in my opinion, the 1991 had a just as good build quality, but I beleive these were actually made in Japan, and the newer generations are cheapened, not in reliability, but in material quality,"

I have never sat it in a 91 Galant so I can't talk about interior quality. As far as reliability since you are saying the late 80's/rearly 90's Galant(not sure what model years that particular generation of Galant ran from) was built in Japan in my opinion the plant in Normal, Illinois has done a great job at improving build quality from the 93-98 Galants to 99-03 Galants. As far as interior quality I'll agree the interior quality while not hideous in the US built Galants(93-98 and 99-03)those models should have used better interior materials than they did. The 93-98 Galant interior was actually decent. I think with the 99-03 Galants if you had the leather interior the interior didn't look too bad. With the cloth the interior kinda had a little cheap(not too bad but not great either.)
    Why you feel the need to quote my post is beyond me? Just stating my opinion
    I would say the Illinois plant, which is not far from me, does a good job, and in fact is one of the most advanced in the country, but they are running under capacity, I have heard from a guy that used to work there that Rich Gilligan is dedicated to returning the MMNA factory to full capacity, A 500million dollar plant. I am impressed with the build quality of my '04 Galant, but the interior is nothing special, the seat cloth is generic looking, and some plastic materials look cheap..but zero interior rattles etc..even toyota is having complaint after complaint with Camry's interior rattles..Mitsubishi N.America just had its best sales month since May'04..Good product..lousy advertising/marketing/loan practices..
  • leftofcenter2leftofcenter2 Member Posts: 9
    My 2000 Galant ES is in the shop for timing belt & water pump. I met with the local Mitsu dealership to price out a 2005 GTS. This is the deal they offered $$4,000 for my 2000 (68,000 miles) and finance $18, 341.00. The car has 3,000 miles on it (they say the owner drove it for a few months). This car is SWEET!! Any thoughts or suggestions??
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have seen used '04 ES (previous rentals) for an ASKING price of $14,000.00. It would seen that $18,000.00 might not be far off, but never pay asking price-see what you can get them down from that!
  • quanta2998quanta2998 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Gallant with an In dash CD player. The problem is that the CD player has been giving me errors when I put a CD in there. It loads it up and then just says E 01 and ejects it. Now, I was thinking of removing it and either seeing what the problem is BUT I have no idea how to go about doing this. The dash seems to be interconnected and I don't see any screws or anything that would help me in the removal of the CD player. Can anyone give me some advice either on how to remove it or how to fix my Error problem? Thanks.
  • galant04lsgalant04ls Member Posts: 3
    Should I buy this used 2004 LS Galant????

It is used with 19,500 miles from a rental company from Illinois (buying it from Mitsubishi dealer). With a extended warranty (Remaineder of 6 years 85,000 miles) added as well as alarm and autostart.

Purchase Price 13800 + Transportation 395+ Warranty 1295+ Tax 1355.48 + Processing fee 45+inspection fee 10.
    Total 16,900

I put a deposit down but I am not in a contract yet. What are your opinions
    Purchase price of under 14K sounds very fair, and even more so being an LS, you also get the V6,sportronic tranny, ABS+EBD,traction control, and a few small add-ons.suprising a rental company had the LS and not the DE or ES. I see more and more Galant's everyday. I think the resesigned Galant has a Perfect mix for a sedan, sporty with good lines, a solid edgy Look...Go for it :)
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Can't you get a 4 cyl LS as well? That car may not be a V6 that you were talking about.
  • galant04lsgalant04ls Member Posts: 3
    I am not sure, this one is a 6 cyl though...........
  • mustangpoppymustangpoppy Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4 4cyl. died while driving down highway. No fire out of coils. Code tested P0335. Repalced crankshaft position sensor, timing belt,and balance shaft belt, blade plate that goes with the crankshaft position sensor. Still no fire out of coils. Retested no codes. It is getting proper voltage to the crankshaft sensor. Have checked all wiring to sensors and power control module and can find no damage. Can find no fuses or relays blown.
    Mustangpoppy
  • skwillbskwillb Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 GTZ and it has just under 200,000 miles on it. It has not been babied at all - it's been "rode hard and put away wet" most of the time but all the regular "maintenance" has been done including timing belts, tranny service, etc and especially oil changes every 3k miles. I can count on 10 fingers the number of non-regular maintenance repairs to this car. It has been the best car we've ever had and we've had Toyotas, Nissans, GM, Ford and Chrysler products. This is also my second Galant - the first was a 94 and it finally needed a valve job at 175 and my son decided to trade it - he got a 2000 ES. My husband also has a 2000 Montero Sport - it's just under 140000 miles on it. Solid vehicles - they do what we ask of them without complaining - I am a very satisfied Mits customer and will probably remain one if at all possible.