Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• lgary1978lgary1978 Member Posts: 1
    You need to get the serial numebr off the radio which means removing it then call the mitsubishi dealership in burbank california they will give you the radio code u need
  • adityaaditya Member Posts: 8
    ok lgary. thanks for the update.
  • buzzabuzza Member Posts: 2
    Hello! I have been reading old messages here- you guys are very knowledgeable! I'm hoping someone can help me. I am thinking about selling my 2001 Galant GTZ, but am finding a wide variance in the values through various sources. Anyone care to take a guess?

2001 Galant GTZ
    Dover White Pearl/Gray leather interior
    52,400 miles
    with 4 brand new tires - B F Goodrich Traction TA

Options added:
    6 disc in-dash CD player
    Wind deflector for sunroof
    Wheel locks
    Pinstripe

This car is in great condition and has been well maintained (although I'm not sure I can locate ALL the records). It runs great and I've had no problems with it.

Thanks for any input,

Buzz A
  • stuckeystuckey Member Posts: 12
    maybe $6,500 to $7,000 on a trade.
  • usaysousayso Member Posts: 25
    Hi b........,

Kelly Blue Book has a trade-in value of $9,390 if it were here in Oregon.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.OR;339320;OR029&97520;+t&39;Mitsubishi;2001%20Ga- - - lant&5;MI;E9&&&

NADA likes you even more with a value of $10,150!

http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/viewresults.aspx?LI=1-11-1-2031-0-0-0&Lnk=1&wSec=11&wPr=1&wPg- - - =2032

So think between $9,500 and $10,000.....
    BUT because the 2005's are being blown out now you may get an even lower number depending on how your local dealers feel about whether they need to send your car to auction. If I were you I'd check for similar sales in the newspaper (large city) of sedans like yours other GTZ's or LS's or Camry's and Accord's and price yours accordingly for a quick sale rather lose folks interest because your price is too dear. Also shop your car at the local Mitsu dealer for his cash price on the car, no trade in. I got Kelly BB pricing for my '00 Eclipse here at my Mitsu dealer in January. Good Luck and...

Happy Motoring!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi buzza - you can also stop by our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and ask our very helpful dealer friend Terry - rroyce10 - for his opinion. You'll need to provide all the information that is itemized above the post box in your message.

Let us know how it goes!
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "Kelly Blue Book has a trade-in value of $9,390 if it were here in Oregon."

Here is Southern California most dealers will start negotiations $2,000.00 back of book. You will never get Kelly Blue Book for most cars. Some don't even use that one for the guide, some use the NADA black book.

Let's not forget, that you run a REAL POSSIBILITY of Mitsubishi not even being around in the next five to ten years.....
    Hi Guys!
    I bought my 2000 Galant car from a private seller about 3 weeks and, and I was not really sure when the oil was last changed.

My Service Engine Soon indicator light turned on last night.

I went to checked the oil levels today. Found two dipsticks. First one on the right side, and this stick is not straight, it has kinks to indicate low & high levels and is placed closer to the front of the car - which I think is the TRANSMISSION OIL. This one was good and between max and min.

Second dipstick higher placed than the previous one, is closer to the back, and is flat and straight (but it flexes) & it says ENGINE on the dipstick. In think this one is for the ENGINE OIL. This one was much below LOW level and was thick and black and muddy. Obviously, the engine oil needs to be flushed & changed. Will do so first thing tomorrow.

Some questions :-
    1. Did I get the two dipsticks right, the one in the front for Transmission Oil and the one at the back for Engine oil?

2. Will changing the oil solve the problem and make the "Service Engine Soon" light switch off?

3. Would the Service Engine Soon light indicate some other/bigger problem?

4. This is my first car & I don't really know which is the best place to go to for an oil change and the costs. Jiffy Lube / CarMax / Dealerships / Garages ? Any suggestions?
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Take it to a dealership. The SES light can indicate other problems so I would recommend a complete diagnostic check. From the description of your engine oil the previous owners maintainance habits may not have been exactly stellar.
    Hi
    I went and got an oil chage with a 15 point inspection done from Wallmart. And the lights gone now. Phew!

Hey - I was wondering if I can get a soft/electronic copy of the owner's manual from where. Any clue anybody?

- Adi
    Hi Guys!
    (yeah it's me again!)
    This time, my Radiator Fan is out. Guess it will need to be replaced. Dealer's quoting $350+ for a new fan. Not available in regular spare parts shops!
    Anyone has any advice?
  • someguysomeguy Member Posts: 3
    I bet the Walmart mechanic bumped something under the hood. Check the fan wires.
  • mjwolffmjwolff Member Posts: 1
    I recently took my 2001 galant into the shop due to a ticking noise that has been going on for a while now. Assuming maybe I just needed some different oil or something.. they told me that the lifters may need to be adjusted.. that is IF they are adjustable lifters. So the question is "does anyone know if the lifters in the 4 cylinder 2001 mitsubishi galant are adjustable?" If not, I spend an arm and a leg on new lifters.
  • ashwinirashwinir Member Posts: 12
    Hi Mike

I get a rattle from my dashboard too...at times on the freeway. Seems like it's coming from the corners. I've never looked for the reason though, you have done a lot more research into it.

Other than that, anyone find the transmission "hard" on the Galant 2004? I have a 2004 LS and the transmission is hard to shift. Plus, when lifting foot off the break, there's a creak/groaning type of sound..like a big weight being lifted.

Anyone get this?

Thanks.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Your engine has hydraulic lifters that automatically adjust. Try using a thicker weight of oil and make sure you are changing the oil every 3k. This should help lessen or stop the noise. You might also want to consider adding some Lucas oil stabilizer. This product has worked wonders on tired noisy engines. A noisy lifter is not going to trash your engine though so I would think twice before spending a bunch of money to stop an annoying sound.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Also, a good synthetic oil will quiet those lifters down a bit as well. :)
    Hi Guys

Some time ago, the SES [Service Engine Soon] Light turned on, on my 2000 Galant. I then took my car to Walmart for a Oil Change and a 15 point evaluation. They changed they oil and reported everything as fine. The SES light also went off. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Then last week, my car was in the garage, to replace a radiator fan that had gone kaput. That was fixed.

Now theres something else on my plate - the SES light turned on again! Any advice on what should be done now?
    Hi Ashwinir,

I have a 2004 Galant LS and I have none of the symptoms you describe.... The brakes do pulse easily though when braking and they will groan if pressed hard but don't groan on lift off. The tranny is easy to shift as I live in the mountains I shift manually to hold gears going up and use neutral on the way down, works great... I love the V6, wish it had the new 5 speed auto tranny that the '05 LS's get. But they don't have the Free maintanence program I have so I'll just be happy with the old technology....

Have you seen the reviews on the '06 Eclipse GT? They love the car BUT Car&Driver reported mileage on the new MIVEC V6 as barely 16 miles to the gallon!!!! I get 23 in town and am glad I don't have that variable valve technology if that is the result...

Interesting my LS weighs exactly the same as the '06 Eclipse GT, yet with the extra 32 horsepower of the MIVEC heads and manual tranny it get's to 60 in almost a second faster.... Guess that's why it consumes fuel the FUN factor is so much higher with the manual tranny and a foot planted to the floor....

Happy Motoring!
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    The most common reason for a check engine-type light coming on is a loose gas cap. Once you make sure it's tightened enough, it may take a couple of days for the light to go out. It's also possible the gas cap is no longer making the correct seal and needs replacing. Failing that, I'd take it to a shop that can read the computer diagnostic codes.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Hi fushugi
    thanks for ur advice. will go and check the gas cap rite away! maybe that could also explain why my gas level has gone down faster than i had expected this week.
  • pmcrockpmcrock Member Posts: 1
    We had a 1999 and now have a 2002 Galant (both V6) and they have had the same responsive, quiet engine and nice but not too cushy ride, and we were thinking of moving to a 2005, since it has more interior room, but when we test drove it, the larger V6 didn't seem as responsive and the ride was harsher, even though it didn't seem to handle any better. A salesman said that was the first he'd heard comments like that. I haven't reviewed all the comments in this forum, so maybe this has come up before, but does anyone have the same opinion of the 2005 model (which I believe is the same as the 2004)?
    The two cars do provide very different rides. I have the 2004 V6 (came from a 2000 Galant 4C) and I'm amazed in the difference - I find the 2004 much more fun to drive and find excuses to drive it more than I should. The 2004 has a sportier and beefier suspension, resulting in a more stiffer/tighter ride than the 2000. The result though really improves the handling of the car. In tough driving situations I feel much more confident in the 2004 than I ever felt in the 2000 - no sway, no dip, no slide, corners great.

You might want to take it for another test drive, Mike
    A problem or leak in the exhaust system will also trigger the SES light. I use to own a 2000 Galant and a hole developed in what I think is called the "flex" pipe - connects the engine to the exhaust system. After the repair - $100 - the light went away.

Good Luck, Mike
    Hi usayaso,

I don't know then what to say. I guess I'll take it into the dealer to have checked out.

See, I park on a driveway that's upward inclined. I put the gear in Reverse (and the transmission is STIFF!), let down the handbrake and it kind of groans.

And the other thing: when putting the car into drive, when you depress the brakes to put the transmission into drive, there's a "groaning" kind of noise that comes from there.

I guess I got a "groaner" ! ;-)

But other than that, love the car. It could have been slightly lighter and it would handle even better. Sometimes, it does feel heavy.

But the music system in my LS is fantastic, I don't know why people don't buy more of the Galants.
    I'm concerned when you say you shift the tranny to neutral when going down hills. Do you really do this? First of all, this puts a lot of stress on the brakes because the tranny isn't being used to help slow down the car. You should downshift the car just like you do when going up hills. It's also not a good idea because shifting from neutral to drive while moving can damage the tranny over time. By the way, the 05 Galant V6 still uses a 4 speed auto so dont worry, you still have current tech :)

Be glad you don't have the MIVEC. From my experience with the 2.4 MIVEC in the Lancer Sportback, its mileage sucks compared to the old 2.4. My city mileage dipped as low as 19 mpg but normally averages between 21-22 mpg. The best mileage on the highway so far is 25 mpg. Sounds like your much more powerful V6 does better. My car isn't an oddball either. All Lancer 2.4 owners report low mileage and I've also heard about it in the Galant as well. They are peppy engines, but it eats the gas in exchange for the power.
    Are you setting the handbrake before or after releasing the brakes? You should do it before releasing the brakes. Also, make sure you are putting the handbrake up as far as it will go. Doing both of these actions will normally lessen the weight transfer to the rear and decrease the stiffness going into reverse. Sometimes though, there is no stopping it from occuring. It is normal to feel this stiffness, because the tranny is under pressure from the weight of the car pulling down the incline.
    I agree with "Ing.."
    It sounds like too much weight on the tranny when placed into Park. Set emergency/hand brake first then select Park.... When leaving first put foot on brake, select drive, release hand brake, then foot rises slowly shifting weight to the tranny.....

Try different approaches, see what works best.

As far as coasting down the mountains I was told by the Service manager it would not affect the Transmission.... And I will check to see if my mileage suffers from leaving it in gear.... This is the first automatic I've owned in 30 years. I'm very use to coasting to conserve fuel. I coast about 10 miles..... Lonnnnng downhills, they eat the fuel going up so this is how I compensate. Brakes heat up but I've never had a problem with them or frequent servicing.... Then again this is the heaviest car I've ever owned... You're right I wish it was lighter for even better handling... I'm surrounded by peaks of 5,500 - 7,500 feet..

Do you guys with the new V6 use Premium?
    It's $2.66 a gallon here!

Happy Motoring!
  • noleasegalantnoleasegalant Member Posts: 37
    Well, well, well...greetings all! Happy New Year (I know it's July!!) but hey it's been a while,,,,, OK!!! I still say Mitsu should have NEVER stopped production on the Montero Sport. They had a SUV that appealed to people my age (25-35), that was reasonably priced (I know people who got XLS' well equipped for $27,000) and didn't not cost over $45 to put a FULL TANK OF GAS in it. Now call me crazy, stupid (but be nice about it) but isn't this what people look for when they buy cars--and for that matter SUV's! They needed to follow FORDS' blueprint on how to sell mid-size SUV's; then maybe they would not be in this hole!
    Hi

I might be doing after releasing the brakes. I'll try the way you said and see how that does it.

But what about when you stop at the red signal and it turns green and you release the brake and it makes a noise like a heavy spring groaning? You guys don't get that?

I don't want to take something stupid to the dealer and get laughed away. ;)
    It's not a problem coasting with the tranny in neutral. It is a problem to put the car in drive while the car is already in motion. Think about it, if you are coasting at 40 mph and stick it in drive, you are asking the tranny to go directly from neutral to 3rd gear. It's not good for it. It won't damage it right away but if you do it a lot, over time, certain parts in the tranny will wear out a lot faster. So if you want to coast, try to come to a stop at the bottom of the mountain before putting it in drive.

As for the brakes, be forewarned. Mitsu rotors are known for warping. I took my previous 93 Diamante to the mountains once. The brakes were fine before the trip. On the way home, they were vibrating badly. It seems they have been beefing up the rotors recently, but I still would suggest against coasting if you want to avoid warpage and shorter pad life. Using the engine to brake the car actually uses very little gas. The rpms may be up, but your foot isn't on the accelerator asking for more gas, so the engine uses the same amount of fuel as it does at idle.
    Thanks.

On a somewhat related topic: how is Mitsu doing?

As a happy 2004 Galant owner, my only concern is what if Mitsu is abandoned by it's dealership network? A nightmare Daewoo kind of scenario.

I personally think that isn't going to happen but their sales aren't picking up, are they? When i did the dollar for feature comparision against the Altima-Camry-Accord-Mazda 6, the LS could definitely hold it's ground. Sure, the interior finish isn't as great and neither is the styling (imo) but it's a solid, good car. So why aren't people buying? I rarely see a fellow Galant owner on the roads.
    Ing,

I've started following your advice: I now put on the handbreak before putting it in park. Since i park on a upward driveway, the car weight shifts backward..there is a definite movement of weight to the rear.
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    Hi everybody just got back from an extended trip from LA back home to Chicago, we took the Galant, It has nearly 30K miles already.(there goes resale even lower) I think we got ok gas mileage going 80mph thru the plain states..in the 4cyl.overall we drove 5,000 miles in one month. Overall Galant did well, although I did notice the front tires are almost gone? they are original Yokohoma's..Galant's seem much more popular in Cali. I must have seen a million 2003's and a fair number of 04's-'05's..
    When we got back I finally looked at the owners manual, and noticed that it mentioned something about Valve ajustment's and timing belts, I thought that stuff was either in the 80K mile range, or nover, but on Galant it seems early 30K, timing belt seems early.
    Somebody mentioned the gas mileage of the MMIVEC motor, I thought the whole point of it was to achieve better MPG with similar Horse power? as compared to the non-mivec, I know it's noisier than the 2003 Galant's 4cyl..so what was Mitsu's thinking?
    I also had heard that there may be potential problem with the Tensioners and/or oil pump on the Mivec motors causing excess clatter and noise, mine has always had funny little noises from the motor.....anybody know anything about any tech bulletins on this? this may sound funny, but my sons booster seat would not come unbuckled for anything, I finally got it unbuckled and the belt assembly had a burnt smell, and some funny residue along the plastic molding...it works fine now? I use the middle one now, Is it possible something got stuck in there causing friction? Weird...
    Finally anybody know how MMNA is doing? these employee pricing deals are very tempting,,.Jeep in particular..or GMC Canyon Crew Cab...I'm scared to hear an offer on my Galant's trade especially nearing 30,000K///Any ideas, ? Sean
    About trading in your Galant, try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed in red above the post box.
  • dmeatsdmeats Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone with a 2005 Galant GTS 3.8L had any issues with their Service Engine, TCS and "Slippery When Wet" idiot lights suddenly light up while driving and also lose engine power? It's happened to me 3 times and only 3200 miles. It has something to do with the "fly by wire" electronic choke system but the dealer is not repairing it.
    Hi dmeats,

I have the '04 LS with V6 and I have 5000 miles on it and no problems so far...

I must admit that it doesn't perform with Unleaded gas ($2.49)...

I was mixing Premium ($2.70 a gallon) every other tank and am going back to that strategy.....

What results are the rest of you new V6 users having?

Happy Motoring!
  • artie159artie159 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if Mitsibishi will be offering the " Family pricing " that Ford, GM and Chrysler are offering?
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    1. Have not had any problems with my '04 GTS losing power or any warning lights coming on. What exactly is a "fly by wire" electronic choke system?

2. I've only put 91/93 in my car. I will not use anything less. Here on Long Island, NY I'm paying about $2.79/gallon.

3. This is not related to our topics, but I finally put a set of rims on the car. Took me a while to find a set that i liked. I went with a 17" aluminum 5 spoke TSW hyper black with almost a 1.5 inch lip. I decided to keep the 17" eagle rs-a tires that came with the car. With the tinted windows, silver car and hyper black rims it gives the car a nice look.
    Hi port....,

The Galants have cool-air induction on the V6's, nothing to do with anything really BUT then the brochure reads.. And by utilizing drive-by-wire throttle control (Electronic linkage to the Fuel injection, probably little motors acting like the linkage in most cars.... instead of the pedal mechanically linked to the fuel injection system), the Galant is able to provide instantaneous acceleration, blah, blah, blah....... So maybe,...... maybe the choke is also affected by this electronic throttle control. Guesses on my part...

I need to buy some alloy wheels for my car too... They have the ugliest wheel covers on steel wheels. They'll make great wheels for snow tires...

By the way how's your tires holding up? I can already see some wear in mine. But then again I expected that with all the power put to ground....

Happy Motoring!
  • quest5quest5 Member Posts: 1
    Hey
    The same thing happen to me I was in the highway when the TCL & Service Engine light came on, them I loss engine power. The car only had 800 miles the dealer had to replace the engine circuit board, they told me it was a factory defected piece. It took them about a week to replace they had to order the piece from Mitsubishi because every car has their own chip. After they made the repairs car is back to normal. Question for you have you been able to find all of the 8 speakers on the car?
  • leftofcenter2leftofcenter2 Member Posts: 9
    Still looking for the 8 speakers....haven't found a yes or no or here they are answer from any Mitsu dealer or rep!! I love my car but where are they!?!?!? :cry:
    The car has been trouble free, except for the cool blue ring of light around the fuel gauge. It does not light up, but everything else does. The tires are holding up well and I still have a bit left on the brakes and I'm up to about 33,000 miles and I've had the car for 19 months. I drive my GTS very hard, I can't help it! I'm going to use my old GTS rims in the winter as well. In a previous post of yours you said that you had a LS, I thought they came standard with alloys, or do you have to get a pkg. And the 8 speakers no one can find, When we began to talk about the 8 speakers I called MITSU and and the rep told me to contact the dealer. Even Edmunds said that there were 8 speakers in their full test. Maybe Edmunds and our host can help us out.
    How many speakers can you find? It is possible that two enclosures house two speakers each, meaning that you would see six enclosures housing a total of eight speakers.

You can use the Help link at the top of the page and go to the "Contact Us" tab to ask the editors directly - maybe they know for sure. If you go that route, be sure to let us know what you find out.
    Thanx alot Pat I contacted the "help desk" here at Edmunds. I only count 6 speaker enclosures and none in the rear doors. Even though there may be two enclosures that house two speakers, Edmund's in their review of the car said there were one speaker in each of the four doors. Very interesting? P.S. check me out at link title
  • superg1superg1 Member Posts: 4
    The "check engine" light is on in my 2000 galant. I had a code scan done and it came back that the car is not getting fire to the number 4 cylinder. I changed both coil packs the spark plug wires and plugs. The problem was gone for about a week, but now the light is on and the car is hesitating again. I check the new plugs and they're all clean. What gives?
  • mitsu01galaesmitsu01galaes Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody,

I just bought a repo 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 (clean title and history) with 93,500K. Besides the normal wear and tear for a car driven so extensively, I have the SRS lights on and I need the anti theft code for the radio and CD.
    I was wondering if both problems occured when the battery surged. Did anybody else have the same problem? I would appreciate any answer that would illuminate me, since I'm new at Mitsubishi (my previous car was a Mazda 626).
    Thanks,
    MCA
  • mitsu01galaesmitsu01galaes Member Posts: 2
    Went to the MITSU dealer paid 88$ for the anti-theft code and SRS diagnosis...radio/CD works now, as for the SRS it turned out that the side airbags need to be replaced...I think that the light is going to stay like that for a long while.

MCA
  • artie159artie159 Member Posts: 5
    I picked up my 05 LS 2 weeks ago and I am extremely happy with the car. The performance, handling and styling is exactly what I wanted.
    Well Done!

We'll be curious to learn how your car continues to perform so stick around and check back let us know what's happening..

I just bought a trunk mounted bike rack for my '04 LS....

Need to get some alloys... Maybe a subwoofer for the stereo...

Wish the dash material was smooth so easier to clean and shine.....

I really enjoy the V6 and the mpg's are staying at 23+...

Gas is getting outrageous here, $2.89 - $2.99 a gallon for premium!

Wish we had E85 out west, 104 octane at regular price....

Happy Motoring!