Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    As a couple of other posters have indicated, there are a number of things that could cause the symptom you are experiencing. At 112,000 miles, you should have had the transmission serviced with a new filter and a complete flush of the transmission fluid several times at least.

Also as mentioned, the use of Dexron/Mercon ATF will inevitably cause you a problem, either minor or major.

The "limp in mode" describes a transmission default mode in case of certain failures. Basically the transmission will start and stay in second gear with the transmission shift lever in the "DRIVE" position.

There are a number of reasons why the transmission will go into the limp mode. Low or high hydraulic pressures are the primary reason. Low hydraulic pressure could be caused by a clogged transmission filter or a failing transmission pump.

Based on the description of your symptoms the transmission is slipping and it could be something as simple as an exceptionally dirty transmission filter. The problem with this is that usually by the time a clogged filter shows up as a problem the transmission has already experienced damage from previous poor fluid flow because of it.

If there's anytime that you needed a real, real honest service repair place, it's now. Many transmission shops will seize upon the opportunity to sell you a complete rebuild when it may not be necessary.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    My van was acting strange, the motor was racing but the van would not respond and the tach was flickering around. I took it in to the dealership. (they had just serviced the van and done a transmission flush for the extended warrenty) Gas consumption went way down, I was using a tank every 374 KM.My usual was 650-700 km.
    We also were feeling a shudder on stopping and deceleration.
    They replaced valve body and pan. ( this is what the invoice says)
    I asked why after just having the transmission flushed but no one could tell me.They also said the transmission had gone into limp mode.
    We bought the van(2002 Caravan) in May 2003 with 34,000 km and it has been a big problem all along.
    If they replaced the valve body I would be strongly suspicious that it was because of a solenoid failure or it had become clogged. Since your's is a 2002, I'd be more likely to believe it was residue from the flushing that clogged it. The valve body is basically a cast metal assembly that contains many small passages and valves. If a transmission becomes extremely dirty and then flushed, this is a thing that could result.

Dusty
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    purpose of the transmission filter if it doesn't filter out the particles in the fluid? I think that this transmission flushing thing is something that the dealers like to do to increase profits.

I've seen the inside of a transmission ,it has a lot of small passages and check balls that could cause problems if they get clogged up. Maybe, we should just change the fluid and filter and forget the flush.

We might be creating more problems by doing "over" maintenance on our transmission. Remember, if you change the filter and fluid, you have to make sure to keep everything clean. If you get some old gasket material or lint from a shop rag in the transmission pan, you can mess up a transmission.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it!
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Here's a variation on maintenance I like for my wife's '95 Caravan, 4 speed - every 30,000 I have the fluid and filter changed (no flush) and once a year I siphon 3.7 qt from the pan and replace with new. The unit is doing well at 102K. I also keep it out of overdrive in city driving which substantially reduces the number of shifts per trip. I also added an auxiliary cooler which I think became a factory installed item in '99. Roy
  • badtrannybadtranny Member Posts: 33
    Since Day one, Late 2000, my DGC has had a clunking/chugging problem in Reverse, only. When I took for service the dealer, of course, would say "unable to confirm the problem" on the work order. Then just before the warranty ran out this year I took it to another dealer who had a tech who understood transmissions. He said there was a problem and the dealer "rebuilt???" the tranny.

But,,, less then a 1000 miles later, I now have some severe shifting issues, and the check engine light comes on. Also, since the car has 37000 miles on it, the dealer who rebuilt the tranny said I need a new one and I have to pay....

Anybody know what the procedure is to get Chrysler to make good on one of these transmissions that has been problematic since under warranty?
  • badtrannybadtranny Member Posts: 33
    The fuel gauge also has been a major pain/point of concern. It says I the tank is empty, when it was just filled. It has been back numerous times and still is not completely fixed. Now it only says I am empty with around a 1/4 of a tank. :-((

Who knows what the fix may be??? I have had the sender replaced once.
  • danieldkkdanieldkk Member Posts: 9
    Regarding #2010 Steering noise,
    Thanks wijoco. I took it to a different Dodge dealer (West Covina Dodge). They replaced the idler pulley and solved the noise problem.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Check the work order for the transmission rebuild. Often dealers will warrant their work for a certain period and mileage. Because the tranny they rebuilt is acting up again after just 1000 miles, you may have a good case.
  • tollelegetollelege Member Posts: 10
    My 97 Voyager 3.0L is giving a PO134 error code. The official shop manual describes this as:
    "Right Rear (or just) Upstream O2S Stays at Center" with the explanation "Neither rich or lean condition detected from the oxygen sensor". I assume that this means one of the two oxygen sensors is malfunctioning. Which one is it? The manual references a Downstream Heated Sensor and an Upstream Heated Sensor. The later is pictured as installed on the exhaust manifold. I can find no description or service procedure for a Downstream Sensor. Is there only one?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    My ODB code lists the following for P0134:

"P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"

Your service manual may be correct however, especially if it is a Chrysler factory shop manual.

The "downstream" O2 sensor will be found by following the exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifolds, down towards the muffler/catalytic converter. You will see a wire going to it just like any other O2 sensor.

The P0134 simply means that the sensor output voltage isn't varying at all. Because of the age of your vehicle, this code might mean a poor electrical connection somewhere in the O2 sensor circuit back to the computer.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • tollelegetollelege Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, Dusty. So would you interpret the message in my Chrysler factory shop manual (right rear upstream) to suggest that the problem (malfunction or poor connection) is with the upstream or downstream sensor. I would assume it is the upstream one but the phrase "right rear" would seem to indicate it is the downstream one. I think the manual could have been a little more helpful.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Different manufacturers use different terminology, if the shop manual said "upstream" then that's the one closest to the engine. Check for wiring that may have contacted the exhaust and burned, and remove and clean the connection to the O2 sensor before replacing it.
    Tollelege,

Actually WIJOCO
    is probably correct. I think that both definitions are pointing to the same thing. "Right rear" could be the Chrysler shop manual's way of saying "bank 1." Bank 1 would be, I think, at the rear of your engine compartment on a Chrysler mini-van. In either case it sounds like it would be the O2 sensor nearest the cylinder head.

I also agree with wijoco on the likely cause. I have seen very, very few O2 sensors go completely dead or steady-state. The one's that Chrysler has used in the past usually fail by going "lazy," meaning they don't react in a linear fashion to the rise in temperature. It usually is an open connection between the sensor and the computer, or a shorted wire (like wijoco said, to the exhaust manifold).

Chrysler use to pack their computer connectors with grease and I don't ever recall seeing a poor connection there, but if there is more than one connector between the sensor and computer, those would be a much more likely cause. The first one I'd check would be the connector at the sensor itself. That one is more prone to being degraded by corrosion from the environment.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks for the comments. The tech kept asking how is your transmission??? Got us nervous. With the front end problems, the tranny and a guy asking me if I was sure I had enough oil in the motor( said he heard it knocking)We traded it in on Sat. We had taken it in Fri. about the clunk from the front end and they allowed my Husband to watch what they were doing. They found both axles were loose and tightened them up then the whole front end squeaked !!! He noticed what looked like hammer marks on the front frame. He mentioned this and was told that is how it was made ?? With fresh hammer marks?It's a 2002 with 50,000km. We had been having trouble in May with the steering and had it aligned 4 times. Just had sway bars, stableizer bars and a bunch of front end parts replaced in Oct. What does this tell you?
  • frankiecrabsfrankiecrabs Member Posts: 2
    Hello, all.

My question is this: How do you remove the plastic cover over the spare tire release nut? I tried to pry it up, and unscrew it, but neither way seemed to work. The owners manual just said to remove the cover, but didn't detail how to do this, and I don't want to damage it.

Thanks,
    Frank
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    If you owned a Chrysler minivan before 1995, a midwestern newspaper reporter wants to talk with you. Please send your daytime contact information to bclanton@detnews.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, December 5, 2003.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• aanessaaness Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 1998 Grand Voyager last January. At 67k miles, the transmission failed in dramatic fashion - the differential scattered and physically prevented the flywheel from turning. There were holes in the case, so I couldn't recover the core charge on the Mopar rebuilt transmission.

By 80k, the A/C lost its refrigerant. There was a hissing sound from the vents when we would turn it on as the charge was leaking, and after a little while, it stopped making the noise and failed to cool at all. There is zero pressure in the system right now; I'll get it fixed in the spring if I'm unfortunate enough to still own it.

Last night (at 81k miles) the brake warning light flickered twice. Haven't looked into that one yet; don't really want to.

This is the newest vehicle I've ever owned (by 8 years and 60k miles). My other car is an '87 BMW 528e that I purchased with 149k and is going to turn over 195k tomorrow. The ownership cost between the two doesn't even begin to compare - it has cost me almost as much just to repair the Plymouth as it has to purchase AND maintain the BMW. I've had the Plymouth less than a year and the BMW almost three. It's even more painful when I consider that the BMW beats the Plymouth by 50% on fuel economy.

I'm getting ready to unload the Plymouth. Where is the incentive to "Buy American"?!? I'm most likely to look at "Japanese" SUVs - I still won't get good mileage, but the reliability should be on par with my BMW.
    Could be something as simple as low brake fluid level.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Lets see if I have this right. You bought a USED 98 Voyager in 2002 with more than 50,000 miles on it. and without any warning, or noises, or checking the trans for burnt fluid, it blew up at 67,000 miles. Did you bother to have it checked out by a mechanic BEFORE you bought it? Was it from a private party or used car lot or a reputable dealer? It seems to me this information is relevant, before you post of Atrocious reliability! Some drivers just do not take care of their cars/vans!
    On one hand, one should be reluctant to blame the victim, of which there were many in the '89-'02 interval hence several Caravan & GC years on the CR "avoid" list for example which I believe is not owner behavior related. On the other hand, those that follow the Edmunds discussions would know this van needed transmission service at least twice, when purchased and 15000 miles later (not to mention needing at least two service cycles at 15 & 30K). At the same time, reliable contributors have recounted such failures in spite of documented service from day one. Roy
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Hopefully DC will straighten out the Chrysler products. Why anyone would buy a second DC minivan is beyond me.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Does anyone know how to get to the front blower fan to replace it? Our van blower makes a noise in cold weather (never in warm weather) . I think the bearing is going bad.

Our 97 GC LE with 129K has been a great van. No transmssion or electrical problems. Although it has not been as reliable as our old 89 Mazda MPV, but it has been OK. Never left us stranded. There is no rust or any type of leaks. Great van on long trips. It gets 23-24 miles on the highway.

I would like to fix the fan before selling it. The kids are grown and my wife does not need all that room anymore. She is done driving mini vans after 14 years.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe, My Haynes '84-'95 manual says 1. disconnect the neg battery cable then 2. work under the passengers dash to disconnect the electrical connector and 3. remove 5 attachment screws and lower the motor and fan. If yours doesn't look that easy, you might want a manual for your van. Roy
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I think you should sell it in the summer!
    I know you were joking.......but if the van that so many people (rightfully in their experience) complaint about, has an occasionally-noisy $35 blower, I much rather replace it than try to hide the issue.

Royallen,, thank you for your reply, I will check and report back.

Joe
    I was joking. An inexpensive fix if it is relatively easy to do yourself is a no brainer. Go ahead and fix it.

My wife is on year 19 of minivan driving and I doubt if she will ever drive anything else. Our kids are almost out of the coup as well, but that room sure comes in handy occasionally, and she likes to be sitting up high in a minivan rather than a car, so a minivan will be in our future for many years to come.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    When I want to sit high I get on an airplane. Minivans take the fun out of driving. Just my opinion.
    Well, minivans aren't meant to be the ultimate driving machine. People and cargo haulers are a bit at odds with "fun to drive" vehicles.

On the other hand, you wouldn't want to take your wife, kids and suitcases on vacation in a corvette. That would really take the fun out of driving.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Today while I was driving, I hit a patch of snow and ice while trying to stop. I noticed that the brakes started making this pulsing hammering sound that I could feel in the brake pedal. The van did come to a stop with minimal slipping. I drove some more and tried braking again on wet ground. The braking was smooth and normal. But again on snow and ice the same pulsing hammering sound. Is this normal and what is causing the noise and vibration? Thanks in advance.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...that sounds like the normal working of your anti-lock braking system.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    Gosh, ABS has been pretty common for about 10 years. There is a book in your glove compartment; probably says "Dodge" on the cover. Read it -- it is full of useful information, including a section on "brakes".
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    For your info. I did read my owners manual from front to back. My last car didn't have ABS, 86 Lincoln Town Car. My wife's 98 Pontiac Sunfire has ABS and it feels nothing like what I felt in the van. You should really watch what you say to people and stop assuming. I came here for answers not smart remarks.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Get to know your brakes. Find a nice flat spot, in a parking lot, that is slippery. Hammer the brakes and leave them on, don't let up. If you hear a pulsating sound and feel the brake pedal virbate then you likely have ABS. ABS allows you to maintain steering control in a panic stop. Do this again and again until you are comfortable with the feel.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    My T&C manual contains a full description of the van's ABS system and a useful primer on how the brakes feel when the ABS system kicks in. It is very important to learn how ABS brakes work because if you do not use them correctly the vehicle is more dangerous than one that is not equipped with ABS. This has been proven out by the IIHS. It is frightening how little many people know about the vehicles they drive, and that puts those sharing the roads with them at risk.

If people actually read their owner's manuals (which are written at a 5th-grade level) there would be only half as many posts on boards like these.
  • ssachnoffssachnoff Member Posts: 33
    The dashboard lights (as well as the lights for the heating/air conditioning panel in the center console) have failed on our 1994 Plymouth Voyager. The warning lights still come on when the key is turned in the ignition, as does the "low fuel" light, so it's not as much of a safety issue as it might have been.

Our local Amoco station has worked on this van constantly (that's another sad story) and has checked the fuses and the electrical connections and has been unable to fix the problem other than to suggest taking it to a dealer.

I am not about to sink any more money into this turkey and prefer to drive at night with a small flashlight aimed at the dashboard to keep from speeding if nobody can come up with a better idea!
    My best advice would be to get a wiring diagram for your exact model. Familiarize yourself with the electrical paths, then you can begin tracing wires. It's always possible that all the bulbs burned out, but I wouldn't start tearing apart the dash without a diagram. A Haynes manual should have one, if not, try calling your friendly local Dodge dealer and see if you can photocopy the pages you need from a shop manual. I'm thinking the boys at the Amoco aren't electrical experts.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    I have found that the steering wheel speed controls and dash-mounted controls for power mirrors and parking/headlights are not illuminated, so they cannot be seen at night. There is a lighted indicator to show when fog lights are on. My vehicle is a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.

Is this lack of illumination a design "feature" or does my vehicle have an electrical defect? I will be seeing the dealer's service department in a couple of days.
    An ABS equipped vehicle should have an ABS warning light on the dash which lights with the key "ON" and the engine not running.
    Dash lights not coming on could be a dash light control switch moved to the "OFF" position. This switch could also malfunction leaving the lights off. A repair option other than a dealer would be an auto electric specialty shop. Roy
    When ABS is in action in Dodge(I have seen it in our van and my old Stratus), it makes the usual ABS noise and brake pedal pulsates differently from our other cars; 95 Cutlass Supreme, 99 GA, 96 Camry, 01 RX300, or 97 Camaro. I feel GM and Toyota cars have less ABS noise/pulsation than Chrysler products. Not that there is anything wrong with them, just different.
  • sxt4mesxt4me Member Posts: 7
    Anybody experiencing a humming noise coming from the transmission on your new 04 Grand Caravan? The noise happens when coasting to a stop between 0 and 25 MPH. I have less than 150 miles and just purchased a couple of days ago.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    It is likely the normal operation of the solenoids that control the fluid flow in the transaxle. If you listen while walking on the street, most DaimlerChrysler 4-speed transaxles make the same bzzzz-tic sound as the solenoids open and close the valves.
  • djbrookdjbrook Member Posts: 4
    My wife's van is a 1999 Grand Caravan ES AWD. My understanding of the AWD system is that the car is normally 100% FWD. When the front tires slip, torque is transferred to the rear. My question is what happens when you are backing up? Does the AWD work in reverse gear or is reverse strictly front wheel drive? Our driveway is up hill from our garage. When trying to back out of the garage and go up the driveway in snow or icy conditions, the front wheels spin and the van goes nowhere. Is my AWD system functioning properly or not?

Thanks.
  • sxt4mesxt4me Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Eneth for your reply. Only problem is that the vehicle was not making this noise when we drove off the lot. We went back to the dealer and for the heck of it test drove another new exact model and it did not make the noise. Dealer is checking it out.
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    Hello all!

My buddy hit some pavement with the oil pan on his 96 caravan. Upon inspection, the oil pan is dented but doesn't leak, but it seems that gasket is leaking.

Does anyone have anything to relate to replacing an oil pan gasket?

Do you just put the new one in and tighten the screws, or is there any kind of glue you should use?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
    Most likely the oil pan itself will have to be replaced. If it's dented, then it may never seal up correctly again even with a new gasket. I can only imagine how tough that will be with the engine in the van.
  • zuragirlzuragirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Town and Country Mini Van. For the past year I have been having a problem with the van when I attempt to start the vehicle. When I put the key in the ignition and turn the key the van starts up but once I let go of the key the van cuts off. After trying to start it about three times in this manner then the van won't turn over at all. I notice that this problem occurs only when I use the keypad to lock and unlock the door. When I first started having this problem a friend suggested I let the vehicle sit for about 20 minutes then use the key instead of the keypad to open the door and it worked the vehicle would start right up. Lately though it has gotten worse and when I go to start the car I turn the key let go and it cuts off and won't start after any period of time. I have had to have it tolled three times already. Twice it went to places that were not the dealership. They both said that the Anti-theft system had a short in it. They also said that they couldn't fix the problem and that it would have to go to the dealership. Neither places charged me anything. I took the van to the dealership as suggested and told the people at the dealership what I was told. At the time I got the van to the dealership it was working and since the people at the dealership could not create the problem they said they could not fix it. It made since to me and the next time it broke it was towed to the dealership. I explained what I had been told about the anti-theft system causing the problem and was told right away by the service personnel on the phone that, that was not it. After the vehicle was checked out by a mechanic I was told that my battery was dead and that I needed a new starter. I paid a total of $816.00 for a battery a starter and a few other services not related to the problem that I knew needed to be done. I took the van home and not even 24 hours later the van broke down for the same problem. The van had to sit for a day and a half because of the holidays and the dealership sent a tow truck for it but when I put the key in the ignition the van started so I drove it to the dealership. They kept the van for about 5 days trying to recreate the problem by using the key pad but the problem never occured. There was no charge for them to keep the van and check it out. I picked the van up just yesterday from the dealership at 4:00 p.m and at 9:30 p.m the van broke with the same problem. Again they will have to come tow the van. Hopefully this time they will concentrate on a different area since I have a new battery and a new starter. Has anyone heard of this problem. I like my van and I want to keep it.
  • dalawdalaw Member Posts: 37
    I have a 96 Voyager with the Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 and 70,000 miles. Does anyone know if my timing belt needs to be changed? And does the engine have enough clearance to allow the breaking of the belt? I aaked a dealer and they said its gonna cost 600 dollars.
    www.ourautoshop.com says change every 60K, 3.0L SOHC noninterference but 3.0L DOHC interference which means the piston will hit the valve if the timing belt breaks on the DOHC version. You might get an independent mechanic estimate. If you need ideas for a good independent, check: cartalk.cars.com, "MechanXfiles" on the home page. Roy
    We traded our problematic 2002 Caravan for a 2003Caravan. It has under 3000 km (just over 1000 miles)now. We bought it Dec. 1/03. the other day I noticed red liquid dripping onto the snow. I had it towed in to the nearest dealer and they said it had a ruptured transmission cooling hose and that the connection to the rad was loose. They said it was a good thing I had towed it not driven it in.
    Anyone heard of this in a brand new van? It has been very cold here,but I do warm it up for 10-15 min before I drive it. Just curious.