Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    Sorry About the response time. Yes it was an '04 Galant ES. Dodge offered us 13,500 for a trade, we took a 2005 Dodge GraNd Caravan :( which I am none to impressed, not just beacuase it's a minivan, But It lacks an overall quality feel. but yes we got an awesome price on it , and really it is a nice van, I wonder what mitsubishi is doing W/out a Minivan? anyways...when we replace our other car, we will get a Eclipse 4cyl 5sp or a Gal V6. GTS.......
  • jaclazjaclaz Member Posts: 37
    Thanks Sean for responding to my questions concerning your trading the ES for a Grand Caravan. Hope it's trouble free and econmical to run for you. A friend had one that he ran into the ground with just under 200,000 miles on it's Mitsubishi V6 engine. The tranny failed. I think Chrysler has that problem fixed. You got a very good trade-in offer. And don't forget to consider the Galant LS next time out, they've added standard alloys and power seats since the '04 LS, unfortunately also added another $1,000 to the sticker. Hopefully it will be in new skin with a new instrument panel.

Lots of good competition coming to market with Ford's Fusion/Mercury Milan, all-new Camry next year, Hyundai's Sonata V6, speaking of which the XG 350 flagship is a very good deal right now as is sister company KIA's Amanti... So many good choices....

Happy Motoring!
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    Saw some pictures Just of the front, this is what Galant should have looked like for 2004, Much smoother, nothing odd , a smooth hood, w/out the grill seperation...if you go to Autoblog.com there is quite a bit of recent positive news on Mitsubishi..they have some awesome EVO concepts, and seems the next Lancer and Outlander will be major improvements..due for 2007, Hang in there Mitsubishi :)
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Few weeks ago I posted about Mitsu leaving my market, well....the new Saab dealer was supposedly deciding between Acura and Infiniti and wound up with Mitsubishi. Interesting...
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    ."the new Saab dealer was supposedly deciding between Acura and Infiniti and wound up with Mitsubishi. Interesting..."

Both of those other two lines sell many more units than Mitsubishi. They (Mitsubishi) must of made it VERY EASY for him to carry their cars. I wouldn't count on it lasting two long....
  • blnewtblnewt Member Posts: 27
    We owned a jet black '2000 GTZ and it looked awesome, a lot of positive comments from strangers and if you squinted your eyes just right it had a BMW 5 series look to it. They had a great look w/ a classy grill and just went backwards a few years w/ that nutty center divider. We liked the car enough (except for the road & wind noise and the cramped back seats). Just wondering why Mitsu "fixed" what definately wasn't broken?
  • biolkobiolko Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am planning to buy a used 00-01 Galant ES. I have looked at two different cars and in both cases, when I turned on the A/C, there is a loud noise underneath the hood, coupled with a slight vibration. Does anyone encounter this, or it's just the condition of both cars were bad? Any comment is appreciated
  • gainesnicgainesnic Member Posts: 3
    Can i reprogram my keyless entry myself or does Mitsubishi have to do it? And where is the sensor located for it?
  • artie159artie159 Member Posts: 5
    I just rolled 5000 miles on my 05 galant LS and so far so good. Millage has been 24.5 mpg keeping the car at 65mph. When I push it to 75-80 mph the millage goes to 19-20mpg. Those numbers are mainly hwy driving. Driving this car is a real pleasure and after a long trip the seats are very comfortable. The back seat has plenty of room for 2 adults and you don't feel closed in riding back there.
    All I have done so far is change the oil. The local dealer ( Island Mitsubishi in Lindenhurst N.Y. ) has got to be the most " I don't care " dealer I have ever delt with. If I had know how much fun it was going to be dealing with these people I would have bought my car somewhere else.
    I am extremely happy with the Galant, my wife enjoys driving it and my son is itching to get behind the wheel when he gets his license.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    That clunk is most likely the compressor kicking in. My 99 has a noticeable, but not obtrusive, noise when the compressor cycles on. After 110K miles, it's never been a problem.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Usually you can do this yourself but you need to know how. If you can't find directions online, you may have to purcahse the service manual to get the procedure.

If you're on good terms with your dealer (sales or service; service is best), ask them to do it as a favor. Maybe combine it with buying something like an oil change.
    "I just rolled 5000 miles on my 05 galant LS and so far so good. Millage has been 24.5 mpg keeping the car at 65mph. When I push it to 75-80 mph the millage goes to 19-20mpg."

At least you realize that speed equals less economy. It is really, really funny to see guys post on the SUV sites "under problems forum" that their gas mpg was lousy on a recent trip so "something must be wrong". I usually state that high speeds equals less miles and ask them how fast they were going on their recent trip. I usually get no-reply, which is a reply unto itself!
  • emageremager Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Galant is stalling. Neither dealership or other mechanics cannot diagnose a problem even when the car stalls in front of them. They checked the connectors, drove it around the neighborhood, run it on a dyno for 40 hours, checked for water in gas tank - nothing... The car keeps stalling. Anybody has an opinion about this; any experience with this kind of problem? Thanks. :cry::cry:
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    Had that problem when we overfilled the gas tank, the sensor got wet and it caused a stall. Other than that I wouldn't know :(
    Are there any codes in the onboard computer? How are the belts/filters/alternator/battery/etc. performing?

Under what conditions does it stall? When cold or warmed up? After driving for awhile or right away? In gear, Park, or both?

Sorry for the many questions, but the answers might help us help you. Good luck!
  • emageremager Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your reply. The car was running like a dream until we took it to a dealership for a 30K service. It started stalling right after that. May be just a coincidence - rainy weather, etc. It first stalled in the middle of the road, RPMs went very low, every single warning light on dashboard lit and the car just stopped. Dealership checked for everything they could think of checking - codes, sensors, electrical connections, etc. - they could not figure it out. They gave the car back to us saying it was OK. We made is home but stalled the next day. Since we were mad at the dealership we took the car to a Precision Tune shop next door - same story. They worked on a diagnosing the problem for 2 days but at the end we are at the square one. Should I just get rid of the car?
  • spdyjim1spdyjim1 Member Posts: 3
    anyone get a good deal on factory ex. warranties
    My thoughts, although I'm no mechanic so take them for what they're worth. Something major in the electrical system would be my first choice, but that would tend to produce an error code or at least not be too difficult to reproduce. Second guess would be bad gas/clogged fuel filter. Perhaps some water got in the tank. The case for this would be made stronger if when it stalls the electrical system is still OK--no problems cranking the engine and/or the radio/lights/etc. work fine.
  • dave89dave89 Member Posts: 2
    Think I have a bad head gasket on my 96 SOHC galant. Does anybody know if you have to remove the engine to take the timing belt off.
  • gainesnicgainesnic Member Posts: 3
    To purchase the manual online is very expensive and our dealer here wants like $160.00 to do it. We had the actual transmitter tested and fitted for a new battery, and the guy tried to reprogram it and said normally the sensor is in the drivers side door. He tried to reprogram it and it didnt work. I have some collision damage and was hoping the sensor wasnt where my damage is... But thanks for the help.
  • rkondarkonda Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS one month ago at 7700 miles. For the last 200 miles it has given only 13mpg. In that only 17miles were on the highway. I mostly use it for shopping and such short trips and occasionally longer trips. On average the speed would perhaps be around 40mph. Is there something wrong with it? Shouldn't it do better? Could the a/c costs have some affect on the mpg?
  • jaclazjaclaz Member Posts: 37
    I have to admit if one drives the V6 40 mph or under the mileage suffers in stop and go driving. If you live in winter cold then the fact of warming up the car before driving also reduces the MPG. BUT the lowest mileage my 2004 LS produced was 18 mpg, stop and go, under 40 mph, long traffic lights. My exuberance for my now 1 year old 2004 LS is still high BUT I do understand your pain.

Are you using premium fuel?

I mix every other 1/2 tank, one premium, one regular, never use the mid-grade as it lowers the octane below appropriate levels for the motor. This will provide negligable savings in the order of $2+ per 1/2 tank fill-up. And at the same time provide optimum fuel economy...

Check your air cleaner. If the car was driven on dirt roads it would be constricted to the max....

It is an '04 so it should have the same FREE maintanence program mine has. Your next free maintance should be 15,000 miles. Which means the dealer would pay for a new cleaner if that were the culprit. Also they could check the fuel system for leaks....

Running the air conditioning should not make that large a dent into your mileage. To see if there's a difference turn it off and see if there's a change in your mileage.

When you find the solution please check back here with the results...

Thanks for posting...

Happy Motoring!
  • mitsomitso Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks! 06 Galant is leaking water into the rear passenger side floor, have taken it in twice they can not find the problem. After I mentioned the Lemon Law the third time they sent the Shop Foreman out to my house, he took it in did all the tests, still can not find where the leak is coming from. The service engine light also keeps coming on, they are waiting for Mitsubishi to come up with the correct program, forgot what code it was. Any such problems out there? Thanks
  • bulentbasbulentbas Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I just bought 2002 Galant around 48K miles on it. My other car ( 2002 Dodge Neon ) usually takes 3-4 min to worming up engine in the cold morning. But Galant only needs 1 min, is it usual for Galant or something wrong with engine?

Thanks
  • curtskimcurtskim Member Posts: 1
    Enjoy my galant except for a troubling problem with the anti-theft radio. After changing the battery..learned about the code that needs to be entered...now I changed the alternator and guess what? Can't get the radio to come back even after entering the correct code. Can't get the word "code" to come up as instructed by manual. Has anyone suffered this problem and can you help?? Much appreciated. (I did read to leave ignition on ACC for 2-4 to reset..but it didn't work)
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Warming up the engine, or the car all together? Yes, it's very quick, I've heard that this engine runs pretty hot. On my car the T needle moves up within a couple of blocks. And at this point u can blast the heater - the air coming out is pretty warm. If u just let the car warm up in the parking lot, it takes a bit longer of course.
    Don't worry, as long as the T needle is within the limits, enjoy the car!
  • dowappydowappy Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 Galant ES, with 43,000 miles on it (drove them all myself). Recently, the heater stopped blowing warm air - nothing but cold air. One repair shop charged me $425, changed a bunch of hoses and the thermostat and informed me that the heater core is the actual problem and will cost an addition $740. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, because I've driven over 90,000 on the Acura (maintenance is current on both cars) and haven't had a problem?
    Dear dowappy,

This is a classic case of your mechanic not knowing what he is doing. There are ways to test the system before they start a repair. Unless the hoses are broken or clogged, it has very little to do with the heater blowing hot air. I would buy the part myself, and have this guy put it in at no-charge. However, I don't know if I would trust him any further.

Also, no disrespect intended here, but a Galant isn't even close to an Acura. Good luck and let us know what happens!
  • psychrnpsychrn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Mitsibishi Galant; The battery was changed in my car recently and when they changed it, it knocked the radio off. I have the code # for it but when I turn the radio on, it says "OFF". I hav tried every button on the panel and nothing is making it say "CODE" for me to put in my code number. How do I get the radio to allow me to put my code number in? I would appreciate any help someone could give me. The car did not come with an owner's manual to help me solve this problem. Thanks. :confuse:
    Here's what the manual says, I hope this helps.
    1. Return the power supply to the normal condition.
    2. Place the ignition key in the "ACC" position
    3. Pres the VOL button and "CODE" will be shown on the display.
    4. Press the NO.1 through NO.4 memory select buttons to set the 4-digit code indicated on the card. Every time each digit key is pressed the figure will change as follows:
    0 - 1 - 2...9 - 0
    5. Press the CD button and a beep will be heard. The audio is now in operating mode.
    6. If the security codes do not match a "1Err" message is shown on the display. In a few seconds it will change to "CODE". Repeat steps 4 and 5.

Now here is the part you might not like...

NOTE:
    1. If a mistake is made during input, the anti-theft system will allow up to three attempts to enter the correct code.
    2. The second error is displayed as "2Err". When the third error is made, "3Err" is displayed and then the display changes to "OFF". If this should occur, the unit will not operate. Contact an authorized Mitsubishi dealer for assistance.
    I hope you just did not push the right key sequence, or have the ignition key in ACC, that's why the OFF message, and you'll be able to do it now. Otherwise, good luck.
    If it is any help here's also the toll free for Mitsi USA:1-888-648-7820.
    We just had another rain storm, water still leaking into the rear passenger side floor. Fourth time to the shop, getting very old. Less than 2,000 miles. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    Has anyone sat in the seat where the water appears, while someone else douses the car with a hose? That's how I found a trunk leak many years ago. You could also try making a few quarts of colored water, use food coloring, dump some in front, some by the B pillar, some by C pillar/trunk. See what color shows up in the car. Have they taken the door apart by where the water appears? That might help.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Those are great suggestions!
    Thanks for the reply. All of the above has been tried, including pressure testing. Does not leak from a hose, only in a rain storm. They have even sent the Shop Foreman out to my house, so I no longer have to take the car in myself. This time around they replaced the inner skin, molding and re-caulked. Another storm coming in tomorrow, if it still leaks I'll be seeking a buy back. Thanks again.
  • kim1962kim1962 Member Posts: 1
    hi i bought a used 98 mitsubishi galant the stereo needs a code to work. it didn't come with a manual. please help. thanks kim
    Please take a look at my post #2150. Although I don't believe it would be useful, since it's for a 2001 Galant. I think the model changed in 1999. But at least you'll see the tool-free for Mitsubishi, maybe they can help for a reasonable price. I hope that u have the code though, otherwise I've heard it's not cheap to go to the dealer for this issue.
    Good Luck!
  • joenic51joenic51 Member Posts: 2
    Hey.. i jus bought new xenon headlight bulbs for my 2000 Galant LS... i bought the correct wattage and all of that.. but the owners manual doesn't give a clear method of installing headlights.. the pictures actually dont make sense either.. i was wondering if anyone dealt with installing a new bulb before and could provide some useful information, because i can't seem to get the connector off and i don't want to apply to much force if im doing it the wrong way.. thanks
    A-a-a, I ran into that recently. The connector was VERY difficult to remove indeed. I had to kinda do it in reverse (in a way), as far as I remember. I think I had to reach behind the cover and unfasten the wire-looking thingy and take out the whole thing, and then it was possible to unplug the connector. I have the Repair Manual for the '01 Galant, which has pictures. But I can understand why you think u might be doing something wrong. I'd be happy to post the instructions from the manual , can't do it till Wednesday though. or you could request it at your local library and copy the pages... or just buy it -mine was a gift, but I don't think it's very expensive.
    Let me know and good luck.
  • joenic51joenic51 Member Posts: 2
    it would be very helpful because im gettin very aggravated trying to do this.. thanks a lot
    Sorry, I have trouble scanning the page from the book. Shoot me an e-mail with a fax # and I'll fax it over.
  • shadow83blkshadow83blk Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2002 Galant ES (V6). I have never owned a ront wheel drive before and have been driving a 92 Jeep Cherokee for 8 years so this is a big change.

I notice that I have a very slight shimmy feeling as I accelerate off of the line. If I hit it harder it goes away and real slow take-off it is not there. It is a VERY slight feel (the steering wheel does not shake). Just wonder if this is just normal and unique to FWD vehicles?

Also it has 62K miles so I will be doing a timing belt and water pump chnge in the next 10k miles. Anyone know it these are notorious for throwing a timing belt?
  • scottindfwscottindfw Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new Galant ES at the very end of January, and I'm still loving this car. It's fun to drive and I think it looks sharp with its steel blue paint job. Gas mileage seems to be around 23 mpg with the 4 cylinder, but since it's fun to push this engine a bit, gas mileage isn't as good as it could be.

In the past, I've heard that Mitsubishi cars were reliable and held up well over time. Are the newer Galants following this same trend in reliability? I still see quite a few of the previous generation Galants on the road.
  • dave89dave89 Member Posts: 2
    In the process of taking off the head to my 96 galant when I discovered that the head bolts require a special tool. Is there any place to get the tool other than the dealer, and what is the name of the tool.
  • desertchildazdesertchildaz Member Posts: 11
    Note: I'm a new member, not the original poster. 2001 Mitsu Galant.

I just had my battery changed and I am having a similar problem. I bought my car as a one-year old model with 20K miles, from a Mitsu dealership, and it came with an owner's manual. The anti-theft card, with code, was taped in the user's manual. I followed the manual instructions and I'm entering the code that was provided with the manual, but when I press "CD", it beeps. I'm up to "err 2" now. (By the way, my manual didn't even offer the correct instructions. It didn't say anything about pressing "CD". Instead it said to press "3" as the memory code at the end. I only figured out to use "CD" because I was getting frustrated and started pressing everything and when I pressed "CD", I got "err 1".) I called the dealership and they want $75 to get my stereo working! Now I just looked at the manual and it is for a '00 Mitsu Galant (not my model - an '01)! I was sold the car with an old manual and, I presume, security code of someone else's car. It is the weekend and the salesman is out so I'm without tunes, but I think that I may be able to get them to waive the $75 since they provided me with a manual and security code that didn't go with my car.

Here's my question: Can the system and code be "reset" if someone doesn't have the code? Shouldn't the dealership be able to reset it and give me my tunes back?

~ Kelly
    Hi, Kelly,
    Tough without tunes, I'd be very upset, especially if that's due to a silly overlooking on behalf of the dealer. At least we hope that's the case; not that they did not have the manual, and more important, the code and gave u one just to send u merrily on your way. From what I know they HAVE to give you the code, that way selling you a car that has a fully operational audio equipment. When you get the code I believe you have one more shot at entering the correct numbers (you mentioned you stopped after the second error message). But if it doesn't work it's the dealer's fault that the audio locked you out so they shouldn't even mention the $75.00. Be firm, and good luck. Let us know how it turned out.
    Chris
  • twithers1twithers1 Member Posts: 3
    It is not necessary to remove engine to replace a head gasket. You can log on to research database at any library and there is a step by step procedure for doing this. Do not try to shortcut!!!!!
    Go to any public library and log on to research databases and you will find wiring diagrams at no cost.
    When driving down road and the slightest off paralell bump is hit it causes severe yawing from side to side. You have to slow down considerably for this to stop. The struts are good. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any suggestions?
  • galantfanaticgalantfanatic Member Posts: 10
    I'm also a new Galant Owner. I bought an '06 ES brand new at the end of March. I love it so far!

According to the data I saw in Consumer Report's Used Car section , the '04s are holding up well. No data on '05s and the '06s have an above average reliability prediction. From that data ('04 and below), it would seem the one area Mitsu could really improve on would be brakes.

My ES is a thrill to drive, and I've few complaints or issues, all minor. I'm getting 19MPG city, sometimes close to twenty. Could be my driving though. I had to get the dealership to fix the glove box, left side did not close flush. It's much better now.

When I did an emergency stop on the freeway, it reacted well and stopped straight and quick, though I thought it wanted to pull the rear slight left (driver's side), it did not. Good to have those excellent safety ratings just in case, but it did avoid well.

I had no idea about Mitsu's financial woes. I hope it gets worked out. If not, who would handle the awesome warranty?

I did drive an Accord, Camry (06) and even a Civic when deciding on a new car. Each had their pros and cons. I'm not an expert or even real knowledgable, but the Galant did not seem two notches below those competitors. Most people must not agree, because I just don't see many Galants on the road.

Sorry if this is more of a review than a post. I've no issues to report yet, knock on faux titanium trim!
  • scottindfwscottindfw Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad you're liking your new Galant too! Like you, my complaints are very few and minor. I took some co-workers (including my boss and our VP) out to lunch a few weeks ago and they were quite impressed with the way the car looked, the way it drove and the roominess of the back seat.

As for reliability, I recently had dinner with some former co-workers and asked them about Mitsubishis and one of them told me that she's never had any problems with her Mitsubishi. She has a 3000 GT and it has about 150K miles on it, and she plans on driving it until it falls apart.

I've had to make some quick stops, but I haven't had to slam on the brakes or anything like that. Glad to hear that your situation had a nice ending.

Thanks for responding and sharing your experiences!