Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• dbenjamindbenjamin Posts: 1
    I got the same problem on a 1999, did you get an answer yet?
  • Are you asking about the IPOD connection? If so, no I have not heard anything yet.
  • I just had my "service engine soon" light pop on in my 2000 Mitsubishi Glant. I have already gone ahead and replaced the catalytic converter and both oxygen sensors. The light has popped on again, with the same P0420 code as before. Any ideas? Someone mentioned a possible electrical issue with the computer.
  • I'm having the same issue with my '01 grand prix. Did you find a resolution yet for this problem?
  • jojo45jojo45 Posts: 3
    I have an 04 Galant 4 cyl. Grey...the paint is crap...faded all over the place..roof ...door handles..side panels...the car manufacturer needs to step up to the plate and repaint. :mad: While driving...the interior of the car gets warm.. why?? Not just on a hot day :sick: ...then........why is there no Haynes repair manual available for Mitsubishi's from 04 to current.???? I would like to be included on a class action suite for paint and the engine heat blowing into the interior of the car.

How can this be done. :confuse:
  • Greetings, everyone. I have a 2006 Galant ES that is getting close to the 60K mark. So far, it has been a wonderful car. It's our only car and I use it for a long work commute. I haven't had a single issue with it and it still looks and drives great. By the time I pay off the car, I'll be well over the 120K mark. How is long-term reliability for the Mitsubishi Galant? Should I reasonably be able to keep it for very long past the pay off date, provided that maintenance is kept up on it and nothing calamitous happens, such as a major car wreck?

Thanks! :)
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,234
    Wow, you drive a lot. The amount of driving I do has slowed a lot in recent months as I can now work from home the bulk of the week. So I'm not putting miles on my '99 LS V6 as fast as I used to. That said, right now it has just over 143K and has only had a couple of repairs (totaling nicely under $1000) that wouldn't be considered maintenance.

Speaking of maintenance, I do maintain my vehicles. It has had the timing belt replaced twice (60K, 120K), trans fluid replaced every 30K, and so on. I believe in general that if you take care of a car it will take care of you. At 120K I did preemptively replace the water pump when I did the timing belt as water pumps tend to last 120-150K miles and there's no real extra labor involved since they had it opened up for the timing belt. Recently I changed to synthetic oil so I can go longer between changes.

My Galant, which is the generation prior to your, has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
  • Wow, my experience with the Galant is very similar to yours. Mine is a 2001 ES with 140K. Apparently good maintenance will make it run for a very long time. I changed the timing belt at 60K and 120K, with the water pump as preventive maintenance with the 120K timing belt. I haven't switched to synthetic oil though. So far I've never had to add oil between changes. Total repairs so far - 1,800, although about 600 is due to a local repair shop's incompetence.
    I've been thinking of replacing it, just because of its age, but it runs so well, I'm probably going to keep it for another year.
  • Thank you for sharing your experiences. It's good to know that I can reasonably expect good service from the Galant as long as I keep up the maintenance on it. I'll have the timing belt replaced within the next month or so. Gas mileage is pretty good with it too -- around 25 mpg in a mix of city and highway driving.

I wish I worked closer to home, but it's a good job and the commute really isn't that bad compared to what other people here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have.

Thanks again! :)
  • My daughter gets 15-18 city and 23-26 highway on a 2007Galant Ralliart 258hp v-6
    27.3 on my last tank. '99 LS V6, 143K miles. Consisted of about 220 highway miles at speeds from 55-80 (differing conditions) plus another 100 or so city (suburban, not true stop-n-go) miles.
  • That is really great mileage especially on a ten year old car.
    Seems like you got maybe 25 city/ 30 highway
    30 highway is the highest I've ever achieved and that only once. 28 is common enough. I think what is mostly underrated is the city mileage. Original EPA was 19, revised is 17. I've never gotten under 19 for a tank and a pure city tank will generally return around 23.

And I'm not known for being easy on the pedal. I mostly drive with moderate acceleration but I have to periodically live up to my history of growing up within walking distance of the Indy 500. :)
  • the_guythe_guy Posts: 17
    hi silverman, what did you do about the service engine light? is the problem fixed.
  • makigrlmakigrl Posts: 19
    How does the reliability and the amount of effort you have to put in your Galant differ from other cars out there. You have to put a lot of money and stuff into keeping something like bmw running properly. I would read people saying something like $100 a month just to keep it well maintained. You really need to do that to keep it reliable. For some people they probably don't have to time or as much knowledge to keep a car like a BMW without it later needing to be fixed. The one reason a person might get a Galant cause its japanese or because its pretty reliable and isn't expensive to service as something european. I would like to buy a European car sometime but they all seem have some sort of problems that makes them costly to fix. If you don't want to be another person with a Toyota or Honda thats why I would get a Galant.
    The headlight sockets (not the bulbs) keep melting and burning out. Both passenger and driver sides, every 3-6 months. It is 2000 Galant 4 cyl. Does anyone else have this problem, or know the reason? This part is not sold in stores, so have to order with the dealer everytime :(
  • Brittany chose the Ralliart because of the unique orange color, the leather seats, 18in wheels,GPS, and all the electronics (fuel usage, est miles left in tank, etc). With it came the higher performance engine that sucks gas. The car reports her mileage on her trips. Around town, here in South Florida, it's 15-18. On the road she sees 23-26.
  • Headlights draw a lot of amps. High amps and poor connections make heat which makes oxidation, which makes bad connection worse, until meltdown occurs.t
  • Hello folks I have a question maybe some of you can answer. My 03 Galants heater is no long working. The fan works fine but is blowing cold air. I changed the thermostat but i'm not having any luck with the new one. I'm wondering if it could be the heater control valve that went out except I don't know if this model incorporates a heater control valve in it's system. If so where is it and will it make a loud rattling noise underneath the dash if it is going out? Thanks for any clues you may have.
    I get screeching noise (like a fast rotating axle with no lubrication) on cold days. It only happens at startup and low speeds. Any ideas?
    '00 Mits Galant 2.4L, 110K
    I have done the scheduled maintenance on my Galant. The cost of that is going to be similar to any other car, give or take a little. Things to reduce the maintenance: Engines with a timing chain v. timing belt, ones that state a longer interval between oil changes, etc.

Then there are other items that aren't scheduled but are considered maintenance and not repairs: Tires, brakes, battery, etc. Buy longer-life tires (usually lower speed rated which is fine unless you drive 100+), ceramic or semi-metallic brake pads, long life battery. Use a K&N air filter for cost savings not supposed performance benefits (1 filter for the life of the car).

In terms of repairs, on my '99 LS V6 I've only done a couple and over 9.5 years and 143K miles they totaled well under $1000.

If you drive way, way more than the average 12K miles a year your maintenance could add up but even then I don't see how it would approach averaging $100 a month.

Heck, even if I blew both the engine & trans today and had to replace them I'd still be averaging under that.
    Something in either the bulbs or the wiring is causing them to draw too much power & over heat. The sealed design on modern headlights traps the heat, which can cause the housing to melt.

Replace the bulbs. That's the cheapest diagnostic. Preferably with a different brand.
    Trust but verify. The mileage computer should be accurate and it probably is, but for two or three tanks, try comparing it's reading to the old fashioned method: odometer miles driven divided by gallons added at full fill-up. She my find the trip computer is consistently off by 0.5-1.5MPG. This is not uncommon.
    I have a '00 Mits Galant 112K. I bought it used at 76K. How could I tell if it has had a timing belt changed? If I were to get it changed, how much should it cost? Thanks.
    I don't think there's any real way to tell if it has been changed or not. Either way, it will be due at 120K so replace it then or earlier if you are worried about it.

Also, water pumps (in general, not Mitsu specifically) frequently only last around 140K miles or so. The labor to replace it is roughly the same as that to do the timing belt. You might consider replacing the water pump & timing belt together as there's no real extra labor (labor cost) involved.

As to the cost, it will vary. Call you local dealer but also call other reputable shops. Timing belts aren't anything super-special that requires dealer server. Meineke and others can replace them. It will be a few hundred dollars, though, as it takes a few hours.
  • I just made this repair to my mitsu. It was pretty simple if you have the patience and mechanical ability. I posted the steps to repair it with pictures here: http://fixmymitsu.wordpress.com. Definitely disconnect the battery when working around the airbag.
  • Wondering if you found out an asnwer to your problem? I have a 02 with the same issue, including the rattling noise when i would start the car, thanks
  • I also have an 2003 Galant with the same problem. Reading back it seems that it could be the valve and I am wondering how I can fix this myself if someone knows how as I can't afford a mechanic right now. I also had the rattling noises at times but it no longer does that. I am tired of freezing and it's going to get very cold this winter.

Thanks for any ideas and help!
  • Hi I have a new Galant 2008 GCC spec in Dubai. When I drive over 120K the car beeps continualy and does not stop untill I slow down. Some other cars just beep a few times then stop.

Can anybody help me turn this off or only have it beep a few times.

Please help ?

Tim
  • after replacing my battery in my keyless remote it's not working.i called the dealer and they quoted me 50.00 to reprogram my remote.i can't see my self paying 50.00 for someone to push a couple of buttons.please can someone help me. my galant is a 2000 model,es. :cry: