Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I have done the scheduled maintenance on my Galant. The cost of that is going to be similar to any other car, give or take a little. Things to reduce the maintenance: Engines with a timing chain v. timing belt, ones that state a longer interval between oil changes, etc.

Then there are other items that aren't scheduled but are considered maintenance and not repairs: Tires, brakes, battery, etc. Buy longer-life tires (usually lower speed rated which is fine unless you drive 100+), ceramic or semi-metallic brake pads, long life battery. Use a K&N air filter for cost savings not supposed performance benefits (1 filter for the life of the car).

In terms of repairs, on my '99 LS V6 I've only done a couple and over 9.5 years and 143K miles they totaled well under $1000.

If you drive way, way more than the average 12K miles a year your maintenance could add up but even then I don't see how it would approach averaging $100 a month.

Heck, even if I blew both the engine & trans today and had to replace them I'd still be averaging under that.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Something in either the bulbs or the wiring is causing them to draw too much power & over heat. The sealed design on modern headlights traps the heat, which can cause the housing to melt.

Replace the bulbs. That's the cheapest diagnostic. Preferably with a different brand.
    Trust but verify. The mileage computer should be accurate and it probably is, but for two or three tanks, try comparing it's reading to the old fashioned method: odometer miles driven divided by gallons added at full fill-up. She my find the trip computer is consistently off by 0.5-1.5MPG. This is not uncommon.
  • the_guythe_guy Member Posts: 17
    I have a '00 Mits Galant 112K. I bought it used at 76K. How could I tell if it has had a timing belt changed? If I were to get it changed, how much should it cost? Thanks.
    I don't think there's any real way to tell if it has been changed or not. Either way, it will be due at 120K so replace it then or earlier if you are worried about it.

Also, water pumps (in general, not Mitsu specifically) frequently only last around 140K miles or so. The labor to replace it is roughly the same as that to do the timing belt. You might consider replacing the water pump & timing belt together as there's no real extra labor (labor cost) involved.

As to the cost, it will vary. Call you local dealer but also call other reputable shops. Timing belts aren't anything super-special that requires dealer server. Meineke and others can replace them. It will be a few hundred dollars, though, as it takes a few hours.
  • fixmymitsufixmymitsu Member Posts: 1
    I just made this repair to my mitsu. It was pretty simple if you have the patience and mechanical ability. I posted the steps to repair it with pictures here: http://fixmymitsu.wordpress.com. Definitely disconnect the battery when working around the airbag.
  • mykim14mykim14 Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if you found out an asnwer to your problem? I have a 02 with the same issue, including the rattling noise when i would start the car, thanks
  • petswanpetswan Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 2003 Galant with the same problem. Reading back it seems that it could be the valve and I am wondering how I can fix this myself if someone knows how as I can't afford a mechanic right now. I also had the rattling noises at times but it no longer does that. I am tired of freezing and it's going to get very cold this winter.

Thanks for any ideas and help!
  • timrogers888timrogers888 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a new Galant 2008 GCC spec in Dubai. When I drive over 120K the car beeps continualy and does not stop untill I slow down. Some other cars just beep a few times then stop.

Can anybody help me turn this off or only have it beep a few times.

Please help ?

Tim
  • shreeka29shreeka29 Member Posts: 3
    after replacing my battery in my keyless remote it's not working.i called the dealer and they quoted me 50.00 to reprogram my remote.i can't see my self paying 50.00 for someone to push a couple of buttons.please can someone help me. my galant is a 2000 model,es. :cry:
  • pj1952pj1952 Member Posts: 4
    make sure the battery is installed correctly.
  • zhongzhouzhongzhou Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am a brand-new-car-user. I got a used car (1999 GTZ) but the audio system doesnot work. The dealer says I need to replace the battery. I want to know whether it is connected to the audio system? Thanks.
    Sorry for bothering you with a stupid question.

Best,
    Zach
    I have a '99 LS and I think they both used the same Infinity audio system (7 speakers, 210W). If so, it's an anti-theft system so if power is removed (disconnected battery, stolen, etc.) the radio locks up & can only be unlocked by entering a 4 digit code. The code is user-set, not factory, so you should ask the prior owner for it. Or change it to something of your own choosing if you can successfully power up the unit.

Frankly, while I like the stereo, it's not current on features (no MP3 capability, etc.) so I'd suggest that if the dealer is going to charge a lot to repair the unit you may want to consider just replacing it with an aftermarket stereo. They aren't very expensive nowadays.
  • rika08rika08 Member Posts: 1
    If this is the factory installed radio, you can call Mitsubishi and they will give you the code and tell you how to program it in. All you need is your VIN number when you call.
  • DeuceHarrisDeuceHarris Member Posts: 2
    Do you think Putting these speakers (MR318619) Replacing the stock Speakers in a Malibu LS would be better?
  • DeuceHarrisDeuceHarris Member Posts: 2
    dtpd1988@yahoo.com If anyone can help me out in regards to my question
  • zhongzhouzhongzhou Member Posts: 2
    Really appreciate!
  • wolfie1254wolfie1254 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned several Japanese cars over the years - Mazda, Subaru, and Honda (currently own 1999 Honda Accord). I am in the process of shopping for a late model used car and there is a dealer in PA that has 4 2008 Galants with low mileage and even one 2009 Galant. I don't know much about the Mitsubishi Galant as far as how it rides or more important long term reliability. Consumer Reports and other car reviews give it an average grade compared to other cars in its class. I am planning a trip to this dealer tomorrow to check out one of the 2008 Galants and I plan on taking it for a test drive. Can someone give me any information about the Galant that might convince me that this car would be a good buy?
  • zelskidzelskid Member Posts: 9
    My daughter bought a 2007 Galant Ralliart about 9 months ago, with11k mi. She loves it and it has been trouble free. It has that burnt orange paint and gets a lot of attention. The oem gps needs an update which costs $400, so as the map gets obsolete, she may buy a cheap gps to keep as a supplement.
  • zero_theoryzero_theory Member Posts: 2
    Okay look its hard to find parts for my 21 Year Old Galant E (&/Or Sigma) Its easyer to find part under the sigma name then galant, okay she has a 3.0 V6 Fuel Injected sohc :sick: :confuse: :confuse: And I need Atleast A few pic's of the back and under side underneth the heat plate thats over the manafold, &/or A PDF File of the motor i have ( Engine displacement 6G72 ) If Any Of Y'al Mits-Head Can Help Me I Would Be Very Greatful???!!!!

P.S.
    I Am The Only Person She
    Will Let Do Any Kind Of
    Work On HER, Have Had
    Problems After Other Persons
    Have!!!!!!
    I feel vibration when I start the engine. The car is 120K, 2000 2.4L. Its like the steering wheel, dash and passenger seat vibrate about 0.5 inches. Any ideas?
    I'm by no means a mechanic but I'd start with the motor mounts.

Does the vibration smooth out or at least diminish when you drive v. being at idle?

(I'm at 146K on my '99 LS V6)
    Yes the vibration reduces when driving. I got the wheels balanced yesterday.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    I think fushigi is right. Each engine mount is surrounded by a bushing that absorbs the engine vibration. Eventually, those bushings deteriorate and the vibrations appear. It's a common occurance for inline 4 cylinders with more than 100k on the odometer. The cost of replacing them usually isn't worth having it done. I've been down this road before as well. But, it won't hurt to ask a mechanic.
    Mike - any idea how much it might cost to get them replaced?
    I have no idea of the cost. I just know that labor is the killer. Try searching this site for an answer mitsubishi-forums.com
    Good luck. Sorry for the delayed response.

Mike
  • leftofcenter2leftofcenter2 Member Posts: 9
    Does any one know if there is a difference between the 2 models? I am trading in my 2005 GTS lease (love the car) and am purchasing the 09 SE V6 with sun/sound package. I'm not sure if there is a difference as they are no longer making the GTS version.
    You're correct. There's no difference as the SEV6 replaces the GTS.
  • zero_theoryzero_theory Member Posts: 2
    There are both different, they are both different years, and most likely others as well !!! :shades:
    I've compared the two here...seems like there are little differences - the engine is the same but no blue panel lights or the lovely taillights. It is basically the same interior. How i will miss my lovely gray color and my GTS tail lights. I hate that change but i am gaining the sat radio and the ipod adapter already installed. Lord, how i love that GTS... How can i feel sad about getting a new car?? LOl :confuse:
    I just picked up my 09 galant it came with an ipod adapter installed. How in the heck do i work it? :confuse:
  • ryha32ryha32 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Galant and whenever my car is in park the hot cold needle goes from in between to hot while the fan blows. Any suggestions?
    Bad temp sensor
  • ipoole1ipoole1 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone own a 2004 Galant ES that can tell me how this car runs
  • near_2waternear_2water Member Posts: 5
    My car stalled on me two weeks ago and will not start, so I changed the fuel pump because I couldn't hear the pump pressurizing the system when I turned the ignition to the on position. I still don't hear the pump pressurizing even with the new fuel pump in it but when I crank the engine the pump does push fuel to the engine. I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem with my fuel pressure regulator valve being stuck open and not maintaining enough pressure in the system to allow the injectors to operate properly. Does anybody have any idea's what it could be or have you had the same problem and got it fixed?
  • near_2waternear_2water Member Posts: 5
    Yeah I did figure out what the rattling noise was, underneath the dashboard on the passenger side of the middle console there are a supply and return line running to the heater core that provides the radiant heat for your heater. The supply line is controlled by a control valve which is operated by a little electric motor, when that motor burns out with the control valve closed there is no hot radiator fluid passing through the heater core to heat up the air. And usually the rattling noise in the dash is the motor giving out. I took out the motor and opened the valve and had a hot car all winter but the motor is very expensive to replace, hope it helps and sorry it's taken so long to respond.
  • bschickbschick Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 Galant ES with 33k miles and have a few questions. The transmission fluid looks light brown more than pink or red and does not seem to have that strong transmission fluid smell. Is this normal? I only received one key with the car. How much should I pay for a new one? Finally, there seems to be a lot of wind noise above 60. You can actually feel air coming through above the passenger side speaker on the dash.

Thanks for whatever you can tell me.
  • jsabia85jsabia85 Member Posts: 2
    I am having an electrical issue with my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant. A few weeks ago the fuse for my radio blew. This particular fuse controls my radio, overhead light, door locks and also hold the Odometers trip information. The door locks only work when they car is on. But unfortunately when I replace the fuse, it keeps blowing. 2 weeks ago, I completely disconnected almost everything I can think of one by one. As soon as I disconnected something I would pop a fuse in to see if it would blow or not.

I disconnected my radio, overhead lights, tail lights, door harnesses, amplifier and also my alarm. I popped a fuse in and it continued to blow. I decides to completely disconnect the battery and the ECU for about 5 minutes and then I put a fuse in and it DID NOT blow. SO i started connecting everything back 1 by 1 and it didnt blow. SO finally everything was good until today, the fuse blew again and continues to blow.

This time when I got home, I disconnected the battery, ecu and plugged in another fuse, reconnected everything and it still blew. Then I disconnected the door harnesses and put in another fuse and it didnt blow. Connected the passenger side, didnt blow, then i connected the drivers side and that when it blew. But i tested again by disconnecting the drivers side harness, put another fuse in and it blew. SO i have no clue where the short is coming from.

Does anybody have any ideas on where the problem can be?
  • kreemyekreemye Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2001 ....my a/c's condensor leak valve was clogged with leaves.
  • sellersad09sellersad09 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I am in need of help. I am sad to have to say goodbye to my 2008 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart (fully loaded-nav and all), however I have been diagnosed with an illness and am unable to keep the car due to being out of work. I loved owning this car every minute and love driving it more than any other car I have ever driven, not to mention it's fun to watch heads turn when it is spiffy and shining. I bought the car in Oct 2007 and it has the low low mileage of 18,800. I am simply looking to sell my car for what is left on the loan ($18,900). I have babied my car and hope the person who buys it enjoys and loves it as much as I have. I don't know if anyone can offer me some advice on the best way to do this, but thought I would ask my fellow Mitsu lovers for their help first. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Broken Hearted in NY">
  • j1999mitsj1999mits Member Posts: 2
    Have you figured out what is making the weird smell in your galant vents? Mine is doing it too and it is now so bad that I cough and it burns my eyes.
  • pab3pab3 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have an 01 that is doing the same thing. I took it to the shop and they said a Mitsubishi dealer would have to scan the computer to see what it was. I really dont want to pay the dealer to do that.
  • smartasciismartascii Member Posts: 3
    I can't guarantee it's the same issue, as mine happened on my mirage. First, does it also do it when you leave it in drive, but aren't moving? That was the case with mine, and it turned out to be the condenser fan. There are two fans up there, one for the radiator, and one for the A/C condenser, and while the radiator fan was blowing away, the condenser fan had burned itself out (and taken the fuse with it). The air moving over the radiator at speed would keep the temperature normal, but after sitting still for a while, it would climb (and pretty quickly). Hope this helps.
  • youatemyriceyouatemyrice Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the two oxygen sensors that sit before the catalytic converter. After installing them, when I turn the car on, it stalls, both of the o2 sensors I just replaced, are smoking, the exhaust is spewing out white smoke and when I let the car idle, it nearly stalls, then idles normally for a second or two, then nearly stalls and when I push on the gas, it revs up fine but it spews out smoke from the exhaust and when I push down lightly on the gas to bring it up to about 2500-3000 rpms, it shakes a little bit as if it is struggling to rev up. It did not act this way prior to installing the two new o2 sensors and I am at a loss as to why both sensors smoke and why the exhaust is spewing out white smoke. If anyone has had this problem, or knows why this may be, please let me know. I can't afford to be without a car, let alone pay a mechanic alot of money to fix something that may be simple and easy to fix. Thanks all!
  • jbgalantjbgalant Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Galant SE. The air is not cooling. After running the AC on circulation, the AC light on the display and the AC button begins flashing. Would anyone know if this is probably AC coolant/freon leak or maybe something worse? Also, if freon leak, would you advise to pick up a bottle of 134 at the store and recharge myself instead of taking to the shop?
  • furqanbuttfurqanbutt Member Posts: 2
    hi there. you think Mitsubishi gallant is good car its good opinion because i have also good experience of this company although Honda and Toyota used cars are best cars but gallant is also good car. i have some pics of used Japanese Mitsubishi vehicle lets check it. and it is also a good site for online Japanese used Mitsubishi vehicles for import and export.
    http://www.mawarinternational.com/stock/detailed_stock_report.php?flag=1&lang=En- glish&id=450
  • dblnomaddblnomad Member Posts: 3
    Hi to all, first post, I have a problem I hope someone can help with. My daughter has a 2002 Galant 2.4L 4 cyl auto. 111,000 miles. all of the sudden the other day, while at a traffic light, it started running rough, the check engine light came on and it started pinging (detonation)very badly on acceleration to the point where it is barely driveable. We have it down to the local mechanic and he is telling us the motor is junk. says cyl1 and 2 have 170lbs of compressiion and 3 and 4 have only 80 and this is the problem. suggests new motor for $2500. The motor idles ok , doesnot skip, doesnot smoke, tailpipe is clean,the pinging gets worse as the motor heats up and has been trouble free until now. It acts just like the timing is advanced all the way. I feel it is in the ignition somewhere. any advice or suggestions are welcome
    thanks
    Did you have the timing belt replaced?
  • dblnomaddblnomad Member Posts: 3
    yes at 55K miles,, although it now has 111K. Having it towed to a dealer on Monday. We will see what they say. I will post their findings.
    probably a vacuum problem in the engine