Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• pesho75pesho75 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a new 2001 Galant ES V6, with 10 miles on it. However, I noticed immediately 2 problems: 1) It was giving me and average of 10 miles/gallon when it was riding well; 2) Sometimes milage was really good 48 miles/gallon, but then it would feel like a Geo Metro, not a V6 Galant - outrageously low power. It changed power and consumption erratically, on and off. In 5 days I brought it back to the dealer (it had already 300 miles at that point) and they seemingly fixed it. They did not charge me anything and did not acknowledge there was a problem, just said everything is fine. I made 130 miles since then and power is adequate but mileage is still low - 17 miles/gallon average (normal is 20/27 city/highway) and I've driven it 40-60 city/highway. Is that because engine is still brand new? If I asked the dealer to reduce fuel consumption, would that decrease power? Please provide any insights as to what the problem might be, and more importantly, what could be done about it. Thanks, I appreciate it.
  • joathletejoathlete Member Posts: 25
    is 150 on the tachometer good use for a full tank
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    How are you driving the car? Do you have a lead foot? If you floor it etc-it'll affect your fuel economy negatively. I have a 99 GTZ 17-20mpg is about what I get considering I have a lead foot. If you're getting 10mpg while taking it easy then there's a problem. Also just curious-how are you calculating you mpg?
  • ericinlaericinla Member Posts: 1
    I've notice on my new Gallant that the Radio/CD player gets hot on the front panel on the right hand side, specifically the display when I have it on more than an hour or so. Also, if I have a CD inserted into it, that gets very hot itself. The dealer checked it out and said it was normal in comparison to another Gallant they used. Has anybody else had this problem? Besides that I've had the car for 2 weeks and I love it... Especially for the 1.9% they offered for 5 years. I couldn't turn it down.
    The heat you feel on the cd & radio is normal. All electronic equipment will produce some heat from being used.
  • badbrett79badbrett79 Member Posts: 29
    its a 98 DE?? with a power moonroof but no other options at all in fact not even cruise control, but its a 5sp wih 40k? are the clutches and manual trann's good in these,its sharp looking but i want it to last a long time 180k +without major probs, also i can buy an adtional 50k warranty online for bout $950, is it worth it? my mom had a 90 galant that burned about a gallon of oil a week i hope they fixed that for the 98 any advice ,,?? i am 21 and think this car is cooler lookin than the acoord or altima,
  • marc24krtmarc24krt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Galant ES fully loaded with aftermarket leather, sunroof, alloy rims and spoiler. I love the car, had one minor problem, with a loose hose that was leaking antifreeze which was fixed, seemed to be from a recall. Mitsubishi is not doing a great job of letting us know about recalls at all. However, I would recommend this car to anyone. I have 2 minor complaints, anyone have any suggestions:
    1) Every time I get out of my car, and touch the door to close it, I get a electric shock.
    2)The interior lighting in the car is awful, only lights in front, no middle dome lights. At night it is impossible to see if you need to read something or look for something in the backseat.

Other than that, car is awesome. Only put 8k on it so far in a year though.
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    On my 2000 4 cyl, I'm getting 24 mpg , on 50% freeway ... I've calculated that like 5 times and always get around the same number.
    About getting shocked when getting out of your car, try holding on to the metal, put your feet on the ground, then close the door.
  • blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    Just picked up the April Consumer Reports Special Car Issue. The Galant got the Consumer Reports "Recommended Model" designation. They listed the Galant as a "Very good performer" in regards to safety, and reliability was improving, still not on par w/ Honda & Toyota but getting better! Also, in Aprils' Motor Trend they have the long term update on their '99 GTZ, it came back with enthusiastic remarks, once they post it on their website I'll get the link for this board!
    Our '00 GTZ has 12,500 miles w/ no problems, had a couple warranty items that I mentioned on earlier posts, but this has been a great car, and have no regrets, especially with the 1.9 deal. Sure I'd love to have an Audi A4, but for 10grand less I'm a happy camper! BTW, the service dept. here in Roswell, NM is VERY good, no hassels, and the work has been done right the first time!
  • chinolocochinoloco Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2001 Galant GTZ. Its a cool car with great handling. I paid 21542 since the local dealer was 3000 under MSRP. Out the door, it was around 23500 with tax,title,doc,fee, Registration and all that.
    I love all the options and I haven't had any problems with it. Of course, after driving it off the lot, I put synthetic oil in (Castrol Syntec). I used this stuff for years and I have never had engine problems with Syntec in the engine. As for the person with Low mileage, are you stuck in traffic? If you are, your mileage is going to be low no matter what. I know I am getting about 21 mpg and I do occasionally sit in traffic.
  • galantowner1galantowner1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info regarding recalls. I'm going to ask this question again, does anybody else notice that when the galant is coming down to 30 miles and hour or less there seems to be a hesitation or stutter? Almost like the transmission needs a break? Thanks
  • galantdriver2galantdriver2 Member Posts: 11
    I have the same problem - it's the transmission. I took it to dealer and they said that's where the shift point is, and adjusted my throttle position indicator and adjusted my base idle. needless to say, it didn't exactly eliminate the problem, but now when I go uphill, it doesn't shift till I am doing 40 mph as opposed to 30mph (this I prefer). Speaking of shaking, does anyone notice their v6 engines rough idling when in P, or especially in N with no engine load? ie A/C is off? Is this unique to my v6 or is this common? (place right knee against center console to feel roughness). Thanks for info. Personally, I think I have bad sparks (I hope).
    Just recently noticed that our V6 idles a bit rough as well. Not noticeable on the tach, so it's just a minor thing but I didn't notice it while sitting in the car. I had the car running and was outside cleaning the mirror and had my arm on the open door frame, that's when I noticed the uneven idle, and yes it was in Park & no-load as well. But I still don't notice it when I'm in the drivers seat so it may have been this way all along. BTW, our GTZ has 12600 miles.
    Thanks blf2 for feedback, if anyone else notices this it would be great. I can feel it in the drivers' seat - car started developing this after 300 miles on odometer, now it has 6500 miles on it. wonder if it's the engine stabilizers or if it's the engine mounts. heard that engine mounts on these cars were a problem spot. speaking of which, when I had a 2000 4 cyl ES, there would be this occassional clunking sound when the A/C kicked in first thing in the morning. This happened several times. I purchased a 2001 es v6, and it did this clunking sound once. Took it into dealership for rough idling and heard that they had to reset engine mounts under load. explation was that sometimes during shipment the mounts get shifted. Is this true? if it get's shifted during shipment when not being driven, then what happens during the abuse we call driving?! overall, when the engine is under load, and also above 2500 rpms when there is no load, the engine smooths out. nice car, but quirky.
  • drobinson19drobinson19 Member Posts: 11
    I have an 01 LS with 985 miles on it. I have also noticed mine idling rough upon starting, only in the mornings. This started with about 750 miles on the odometer The rough idle goes away after the car warms up some and is fine the rest of the day. I have also noticed my car stuttering some when I am slowing down. the stuttering happens below 20 mph and does not happen all the time. Not a big problem as far as I am concerned unless it gets worse. Great car,very pleased.
  • spongebobspongebob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Galant, 4 cyl, ES, which I have owned since Aug. 2000, and have 6,800 miles. About 6 weeks ago, the odometer went blank, and the speedometer and tach quit working. When I restarted the car, they all worked again. A day later, the same happened. The dealer replaced the control panel for the odo, etc., and all worked fine for 6 weeks, when it started happening again.

Any one have this problem? If so, what was the fix? It's intermittent, so it looks like it might be tough for the dealer to fix.
  • mlodinoffmlodinoff Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Galant V6 es and have not had good luck with keeping the hubcaps on. so far, I've lost one and retrieved two that have fallen off and rolled to the side of the road. I realize that potholes are dangerous for cars but I've always driven with potholes and never have had this problem with other cars. Anyone else frustrated with this?
    The stuttering could be the tranny, as mine does that occasionally around 30mph - it's a shift point apparently (post 612). I first tested the vehicle out of gear - absolutely no stuttering. Then i test drove the vehicle around 30mph and accelerating, then let go, and it stuttered. I figured it was the tranny, and dealer confirmed it.
    As far as the odo getting blank, etc., I wouldn't be surprised about the electrical, since apparently the galant has problems with transmissions, electrical, and brakes - these are all the galant's weak points. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a recall or TSB associated with this.
    Anyway it's a nice car, but 9.1 from 0-60 for a v6?!?
  • boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    Now that spring is coming I just got a 2001 Suzuki SV650 motorcycle and its going to rock after the break in peroid. No rev past 5000 rmps are needed now by the thing can do 0 to 60 in 3.5 secs or so. I would get a crotch rocket but who needs to see the chiro man after a short ride right? And cruiser make me feel like the Fonz so I just got a standard bike. Go to Suzuki.com and check out the SV650, its light, high torque, cheap. Suzuki is the bomb.
  • cocokurecocokure Member Posts: 3
    I currently have a '00 ES w/premium package that I bought back in Nov. 99. I am very happy with the vehicle, although I did have a problem the transmission fluid leaking. The hose was repaired, and I haven't had any additional problems with it. Also, there was a recall concerning the turn signal mechnism. I noticed this when my cruise control light kept coming on by itself. I have also experienced the electric shock when exiting the vehicle, along with the dim interior lighting. I love the power of the 4-cyl engine; this discouraged me from wasting my money on the V6. The only issue that I have is with the resale value of this car. I plan on trading it in a few years (I just like having new cars), but I'm worried that I'll be in this negative equity forever. I've been seeing the NADA trade-in value as close to $15000, seeing that I paid $19K for it not even 2 years ago. I don't know if I should wait it out, or just trade it in before the value gets too low.
    this will just make you feel insulted you ever saw a Galant. I need a station wagon and was going to trade mine in for a Focus wagon but hell they or the whole Seattle area market wont give you more than 11,000 trade in for a 00 ES with 10k on it!! NADA is a bigger joke than Alan Greenspan. 15k hell, I would do that in a new york minute. I feel the Galant is yours till the engine falls out now that Mitsubishi has no respect at all. Its just sad because its the best 4cyl I have ever meet.
  • jfb7jfb7 Member Posts: 11
    I am a mostly very happy owner of a '01 AS V6. I love the styling and the richness of its black and tan color combination. I don't have any major complaints about the car other than the obvious decontenting they've done in certain areas. Given that the AS is the luxury Gallant - and definitely not cheap in price- I have to say that I am disappointed about the lack of certain features:
    - The lumbar support is manual and, at that, lacking in support options.
    - I can't understand for the life of me why there is no lighting in the rear passenger compartment - I have NEVER had a car - not even one of my $100.00 clclinkersrom days gone by- with such poor lighting. And why aren't there lights in the doors themselves ? El ChCheap( Makes me almost wish I had test drove it at night!)
    - Why can't I open the trunk with my key fob? I was always able to do this with my other cars with this feature!
    - Why does the engine sound so cheesy at idle? The car doesn't vibrate or anything, as I've read in some of the postpostingjust expected it to be more hushed. Is this the way all GalaGallants sound, or do you think the car needs an adjustment?

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy driving my car, average about 24mpg during mostly highway driving and I find the car to be well styled and a wonderfully luxurious ride.

My last car was a Mercury Mystique LS with ASl the toys ( except traction) and , although they were nearly identical in price, the Galant fGallantke I had stepped up a notch or two in class. Imagine my surprise when I began to discover that features I had taken for granted in a car at this price were not found on the Galant! All in all, the Galant is hard to beat for the price for luxury, performance and styling that is refreshingly non-generic. ( I was tempted to check out the Diamante, but it has gotten pretty bad reviews). Whenever I park it, I always look back once or twice to check it out. All in all, a real pleasure to own and drive!!
  • y21azy21az Member Posts: 3
    i recently purchased a 97 GAlant ES- has 37,000 miles- has leather interior and a sun roof.
    I ve had the car for 3 weeks and it drives very smooth. The breaks make a squeeking noise but only sometime and they are new brakes. I dont know much about cars but i am trying to learn because i hope to keep this car for a while.
    I noticed that the driver seat has a small crack on the leather and my friend told me that it will get bigger soon. if i wanted to replace that would i have to change the whole seat cover or can a piece be replaced? Also does anyone esle have a radio problem? My radio will not receive the local stations right away. Takes a few minutes but i dont know why.
    thanks for any help!
    take care
  • omoomo Member Posts: 3
    Serramonte Mitsubishi, Daly City CA: Charges $200.00 for [1] key duplicate (keys with microchip for immobilizer).
    But Veracom Mitsubishi of San Mateo CA charge only $100.00
    To obtain a new code for stereo, the dealer needs
    the stereos' serial number. They have to pull the stereo out to look at the number.
    Serramonte Mitsu charges $95.00 for the service (to pull out the stereo).
    Veracom Mitsu only $48.00
    If you can do it yourself, good for you. Save you money but if you messed up, voids warranty.
    By the way, getting a new code is free just the service fee for pulling out the stereo they ask for a fee.
    Just in case you want to sell your car:
    '99 Galant ES I4 AT : $11500.00 @11100K miles from private seller.
    '00 Galant ES I4 AT: $12500.00 @ 21000K miles from local dealer.
    '00 Galant ES I4 AT: $12400.00 @ 10100K miles from another local dealer.
    All $ are + fees, tax etc...
    My '00 Galant I4 AT @ 15000K miles, no major problems so far.
    Overall love the car. Excellent I4 performance.
    Plans to keep car for a long time. Resale value is poor anyway.
  • marcin97marcin97 Member Posts: 7
    o., at first I thought you've made a typo - Mitsu AS. but no, you did it twice, AS???? do you even know what model you have?
  • townridertownrider Member Posts: 3
    After 24 months on my 1999 Gallant ES I would never recommend a Mitsubishi to any friend.
    The shakes and rattles are reminiscent of
    GMs. After 24,100 miles and having been recalled
    3 times, seen the service department at least 5 times, Mitsubishi's looking more like a GM or Chrysler in terms of quality and service.
    I'm going Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Lexus.
    I have a 2000 ES , still cant get over the fact that my 90 Camry feels more spacious. Wind swept looks of cars are modern but the old style boxy style is way more comfortable. The interior room is so compromised by the raked windshield, it is driving me nuts at times. Saving grace is the terrific engine feel and lightweight response of the car.
    I assume that when you say shaky galant, that you mean the steering wheel vibrates around 70+mph? I purchased this time last year, a 4 cyl 2000 ES, and as soon as I took it on the highway, it started shaking. Took it to 2 different dealers, pep boys, etc. to check it out, and they told me nothing was wrong. Even had the tires balanced twice. Traded the car in for a 6cyl 2001 ES, and this car is smooth at all speeds - it's just that rough idle. I guess it's the luck of the draw if you get a smooth or a shaky galant. (Some was mentioning that it good be the torque converter in OD that might be doing this, they suggested leaving car in 3rd gear to see if it still does this at 70+mph).
    Well, some of you might call me nuts but I just traded my Galant for a 2001 Focus ZX3 Hatchback for MORE interior room!!! The Focus felt spacious, had an airy feel and has more than enough headroom for me and even the 6 foot salesperson next to me. A while back my friend got in my Galant and his overall impression was someone left out the room. I had buyer's remorse after a year in the car and also had trouble parking that thing since I couldnt tell where the rear ended due to the high truck. Parking should be no trouble with the tiny hatchback. Just have to stay clear of tailgating trucks. Will miss my 2.4 engine like hell but folks I cant tell you enough times how much the room of the Galant sucks. Good luck to all you remaining owners.
    Yes, the steering wheel would shake at 25-45 mph. I went to several tire and brake shops and they told me everything looked good. But when I finally brought it in to the Mitsubishi dealer, they said it needed a brake job and "adjustments".
    My take, IT WAS ANOTHER "HIDDEN DEFECT" that Mitsubishi's covering up. They've been sued and investigated for this numerous times and will probably continue to do this. Pure Mitsubishi garbage.
  • marcin97marcin97 Member Posts: 7
    http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissan/altima/ Speaks for itself. I love my car, the looks and fast engine, but the quality just sucks. Our 1999 Altima has no problems with defective parts. It's slower and not as great looking as Galant, but quality of the workmanship is great. Also the service from Mitsu dealer, at least in my area, just sucks. Local Nissan will wash our car every time, will give you free shuttles all over town, makes you feel like you have a Lexus. After all my minor problems with Galant, I see that service is what counts. If Mitsu would be just as nice as Nissan, I would stick with Galant. If the new Altima is just as good on the inside as on the outside (I know the engine is great!) I have to say 'c ya' to my Galant.
  • drobinson19drobinson19 Member Posts: 11
    Customer service is great out here. Every time I take my 200l LS Galant in to have an accessory installed or a minor problem looked at I get a nice wash, and vacuum. They also give you a car for the day of your liking. IE. Galant or Montero Sport. Nicest dealership I have ever dealt with. 2200 miles and only 1 annoying problem, A small rattle on the driver side that was fixed. Great car.
    My 2000 ES with 11,600 K has been in the paper since Friday and as I write it is Wed morning and all I have gotten is one call on it. I am asking 12,900 and have given up and traded the thing in for a amout lower than the Dow Jones average. If you in the market for a Galant, take my advice and only buy if you will hang on till the 150,000 mile tune up. If an accord with that low mile or camry for that price was asked it might have sold most likely in 2 days or so. I live in Seattle. Worse resale value out of all the Japenese brands. But, it drives like a charm but designed interior flaws take it all away for me.
  • drtlmfandrtlmfan Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my wife's black 2001 Galant GTZ last Saturday. One thing that bugs me though is that the fog lights won't operate when the high beams are on, or they go off when the high beams are activated. This was one of those so called "smart" design features. Does any one know how to deactivate this design feature? I know on my '93 GMC Sierra, both sets of head lamps don't illuminate when set on high beam, but I noticed in a "TRUCKN" magazine that there is an after market part you can install that will force all head lamps to operate in the high beam position. For the fog light problem, it might just be as simple as unplugging a single wire, but I'm not sure. Any other owners noticed this? Any comments welcome.
  • cbnearlacbnearla Member Posts: 28
    /Rant mode on/
    Well, yeah, the fog lights are designed to be used in FOG, a weather condition where most people would not use high beams, since the light would be reflected back in your eyes. Unfortunately, IMO, too many people seem to think that fog lights are an auxiliary lighting system for ALL weather conditions.
    /Rant mode off/
    There is a Galant owners club on Yahoo, where I've seen messages regarding how to make the fog lights work in other than designed conditions. Go to Yahoo.com, select "clubs" then search for "galant", choose Big Rich's Y2K Galant club, and look through the messages there.
    Sorry to hear about you leaving the Galant "family", I enjoyed your posts over the last few months. I'm afraid your resale value nightmare may have only just begun! A Ford Focus will depreciate at an even faster rate than the Galant. The Focus has had a good share of positive press and that alone will help it along, but it's still considered a domestic economy car, and those have traditionally had very extreme resale value decline. I hope that's not the case for you, good luck w/ your new ride, and if you like it, just drive it 'til the wheels fall off, after all, who cares about resale value if YOU get your moneys' worth out of it, IMO! I plan on keeping our GTZ until it's paid off, I've only had one car (out of about 15)that I've kept for the whole term, and I really enjoy this car, as long as it holds up, I'd like to keep it, it's got a great ride, smooth motor and styling that looks much more $$$ than what we paid! Again good luck B14, and let us know how it's going!
  • peterslawpeterslaw Member Posts: 9
    I recently discovered that the bolts that hold the crome "Galant" plate on the trunk of my 2000 Galant ES are rusting. Unfortunately, the rust has ate into my paint. Does anyone else have this problem? I live in Michigan where they use salt on the roads during the winter and surely expect the dealership to blame this problem on the salt, but this seems to be a design defect. I haven't noticed any rust anywhere else.
    Also, I noticed that my front bumper is a little "loose", which explained the noise we kept hearing from the front of the car. My boyfriend tried to tighten the bolts that keep it attached to the car, but they do not seem to want to tighten. Has anybody else noticed this problem?
  • peterslawpeterslaw Member Posts: 9
    When I was having numerous problems with my car a few months ago, I talked to the dealer about trading my car in for a Toyota Camry. At just under 10,000 miles on my 2000 Galant ES, I was offered a measly $11,000 for trade-in. Keep in mind I had just bought the car less than 6 months before for $18,000 (including tax and title). That only added to my frustration with the problems I was having with my Galant at the time. Adding more frustration are ads that I have seen in the paper advertising used 2000 Galants. One dealer was selling a 2000 Galant ES for $11,500. I have no idea what the mileage was on the car, but talk about depreciation. Also, the local Mitsubishi dealership sells used 2000 Galants ES for about $13,000. I knew I should have bought a Honda, Toyota, VW, or Nissan. At least the car looks great!
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Helo

My fuel door on my 99 galant had just fallen off when I was washing my car, the dooris made out of plastice not metal, hmm, does any one know where to get another door other than the dealer?

please let me know

regards
  • cdt123cdt123 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Galant S. I've got 50K on it and I am getting a noise in the front right (as you are sitting in the car). My trusted mechanic is 95% sure its a bearing going in the diff. Anyone had similar probs, is this something that is usual at 50k with this car. Any thoughts would be appretiated, having read this board I realize that I too have the shaky Galant syndrome and perhaps I am looking for a group that knows my pain! :-) THanks. Cam
    Regarding your corosion problem, ALL corosion related problems should be covered under the corosion warranty, I didn't check, but it should be at least 5 years. Luckily, I live in the high desert and rust is the least of my worries! As far as that fuel door falling off, that's DEFINATELY covered under the warranty, assuming it wasn't intentionally vandalized or incorrectly opened. If you have a problem w/ your local dealer than you can always take it to another Mitsu dealer for that service. Good Luck!
    I have a 2000 ES-V6, and am wondering how much the labor cost is for changing the plugs. This is supposed to be done at the 30K mile service, and apparently requires the removal of the intake manifold to get at the rear plugs. If you've had the 30K mile service performed, how much was charged for the entire service, and how much time was charged for the plug change?
    The dealer told me that the V6s have platinum sparks - and they get changed every 60,000. The price he quoted me was $400, when I asked how much it was to change the plugs only. (he must have thought that I was asking for a 60,000 mile service since that's what it costs - $400).
    Hmmm, I've never seen anything in my manual that says I have platinum plugs. Maybe they changed from 2000 to 2001? Does your manual say plug change at 30K or 60K ("normal" maintenance schedule)? Mine says 30K.
    if you look under the hood of the V6 galants, there's a sticker that says the car has plat plugs. The '99-'01 V6 galant all have plat plugs.
  • cocokurecocokure Member Posts: 3
    I'm glad to hear that I am not the only that is fed up with the falling resale value of the '00 Gallant ES, as well as the numerous times I've visited the dealer, for yet another recall. Now I hear that there's been a recall on the transmission fluid/hose compartment of the vehicle. I'm still debating on whether I'll suck up the loss and trade it in for something else. The only reason that I've kept it this long is because I enjoy the ride/feel of the car. Unfortunately, I haven't had any problems with the "shaking." I've had an Accord once before, so I don't want to go there again. I was looking at the VW Passat, but I'm concerned about the 2 year/24,000 mile basic warranty. Isn't that the worst warranty period ever?! If I keep the car for another 4 years and pay it off, I'm afraid the dealer will still laugh at me when I try to trade it in. Any suggestions/recommendations?
    cbnearla, I refer to the severe maintenance section since i do short trips 90% of the time, and it says 30K for non platinum and 60K for platinum and non platinum. The dealer also told me that there were plats in mine: i guess they use plats because it's such a pain in the manifold to get the rear ones out. i'll look under the hood to verify if i do indeed have plats.
  • tallgaltallgal Member Posts: 14
    to cdt123...have you had your car in to check the ball joint in the front suspension? There was a recall just since Jan. 01. I had to have the arms and ball joint replaced in my '94 (all free/recall) and it is no longer making a loud noise! Check with your local dealer for the recall information!
  • tallgaltallgal Member Posts: 14
    I wanted to ask if anyone has information regarding the timing belt and adjuster belts. It is recommended that they are replaced at 60k miles, and I am there w/ my '94 GS. Seems the parts are pretty expensive, and labor... well, you know! 3 hours to replace! Anyway.... seems the Mits. engines do not "recover" if the belt(s) break... the engine "locks up" Now I am scared to drive... until I can afford the $3-400 replacement. Any suggestions, ideas, experiences with these belts breaking right at 61k miles?? I am female... scared I am being "taken"
    I suggest you trade or sell the Galant as
    it only gets worse. Mitsubishi Execs hid Defects for years and got into trouble for it.

I would only suggest a Mitsubishi to my
    ex-wife.