Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

Comments

• Options
    shep5shep5 Member Posts: 2
    I was given a spare owner's manual by my niece. Based on the specs for the hybrid battery and the electric motor, the hybrid battery would be fully discharged after 3.25 minutes at full throttle. (theoretical calculation) However there were no specs for the max ouyput of the generator or the gas engine RPM at max output. Would be interested in these values if anyone hass them-still waiting for my Prius. (Jan-mid Feb)
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The specs for the 2002 will not be out until sometime next summer. I know what the folks at TMS have said about the nav system but I think they are wrong. The buttons are already there for the system and it would be very un-Toyota like to build a car with buttons that can't be used.

My guess is that the nav system will be able to be retrofitted in the 2001 cars. Again, this is only speculation and should be taken as such. I think the people who take your calls at Toyota may not be asking the Japanese the question in the right manner to get the correct response.
  • Options
    fnguyenfnguyen Member Posts: 5
    My dealer let me place an order for a Prius with $100 deposite, refundable! Arrives in Jan-2001. They let me drove one for half a day.

He said Blue colors are not available now.
  • Options
    jludwi2jludwi2 Member Posts: 1
    Only getting 45 or so MPG with the first 1/8th of a tank, but that will probably get better.

Only problem was the dealer put the center little hubcap on badly, so that it rattled. They fixed it this afternoon.

Car behaves wonderfully. Wish it had a fuel cell instead of gas motor!
  • Options
    sharkesqsharkesq Member Posts: 3
    I'm on the fence regarding waiting for the '02 models to come out. Based on a number of rumors, I'll assume that by the end of November I could cancel my current order and order an 02 model in blue, with gps, cruise and a 6 disc changer, to be delivered circa May of 01. I'm willing to wait for all that unless the cost of the 02 is expected to increase more than the cost of retrofitting the gps and the cd changer. Does anyone have even a decent rumor to pass along regarding expected prices for the 02 models? Thanks, Patrick
  • Options
    Who told you the '02 would be out in May and able to order in November? I'm not saying it can't be true but that is the first I have heard about that. You're asking for price details for a car that my information indicates will not be out for another 10 months. I don't even know the pricing for the Sequoia that will be out in November.
  • Options
    I believe I saw this on the alt.autos.toyotas newsgroup, one or two weeks ago, and it might have been from Rick Jones, who I think is a toyota technician of some sort. But this is just one guy, so I posted this here hoping that you would answer. If you don't know then I figure it's not common knowledge among folks who sell these cars for a living. Thanks for your help. My order was confirmed on sept 1, so I'm hoping that by the time I have to take delivery I'll have a better idea of what will be available on the '02 models, what the cost will be and how long I would have to wait. If I find out anything more substantial than a rumor, I will post it here. Patrick
  • Options
    I double checked the alt.autos.toyota post I thought discussed '02s, but it really said this:
    [Hi Steve,
    [Here in California, we've been told the cruise [control and the GPS will be
    [available to order in about 2 months. Of course [the delivery would be in
    [April or May. Any Prius ordered now will NOT be [able to retrofit a cruise
    [control.
    [Wes Chormicle
    [Internet Sales Manager
    [Sierra Toyota
    [Lancaster, CA
    ["carsales" <<A HREF="http://carsales@sierratoyota.com">carsales@sierratoyota.com>
    This was from a 9/12/00 messasge.
    I'm thinking now that maybe he's talking about options available then for the '01.

Sorry for the slight inaccuracy, folks, but I still would like to know the anticipated price.
  • Options
    wmelchiorwmelchior Member Posts: 2
    Someone on the egroups list says he has installed cruise control on his US Prius, using all Toyota parts with the wiring that's already present. Start at http://www.egroups.com/messages/toyota-prius/1832
    and follow the thread for details. He's also posted some pictures. The downside is the cost, since he had to buy a whole new steering wheel. He says his dealer is interested in doing the modification for customers; it sounds like any dealer could do it.
  • Options
    kamuskamus Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Cliffy for all your informative posts.
    My question is how much trade in value from my 01 prius can I expect if I decide to go for an '02 later? Thanks, Dave Kane (Silver Spring)

(I posted this before but it semed to vanish-apologies if it shows up twice)
  • Options
    kamuskamus Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Cliffy for all your informative posts.
    My question is how much trade in value from my 01 prius can I expect if I decide to go for an '02 later? Thanks, Dave Kane (Silver Spring)

(I posted this before but it semed to vanish-apologies if it shows up twice)
  • Options
    fnguyenfnguyen Member Posts: 5
    When you modify a car that is under mfgr's warranty, the mfgr reserves the right to discontinue your vehicle's warranty!

All I am saying is that people should understand the risk(s) before they embark on a "journey" that could be pleasant or disappointing.
  • Options
    judithsjudiths Member Posts: 17
    I am trying to decide between the Toyota Prius and more conventional (and possibly safer) vehicles for about the same price. I teach college classes in which I discuss climate changes in earth's past, and the potential for global warming. Buying a Prius would be putting my money where my mouth is.
    I currently drive a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Ford LTD, both elderly. I am planning on replacing the Ford as my vehicle for in-town driving and trips. The Land Cruiser will remain a field trip vehicle for work. I have been looking at Prius (& a wide variety of other sedans). Prius is impressive but provides me with one serious problem. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it. To explain:
    I first tried Echo in lieu of Prius, which was unavailable for a test drive on my first visit. Leg room was fine in it, and the vehicles are listed as having the same leg room. When I tried Prius, I discovered that its parking brake sits right above the left leg, sharply limiting the room to stretch that leg. I have a crippled left leg that needs to be stretched often, but the Toyota Dealership salesman I rode who whose leg is not damaged also found himself bumping that brake pedal with his shin. He considered the problem and ended up taking me and the Prius to a licensed handicap vehicle modification business, where we discussed possibilities of getting the brake repositioned (costs of cutting the shaft and putting in a hand or foot operated lever more out of the way (it's well to the left on an LTD) would run in the hundreds and costs of removing the brake and replacing it with the hand-operated button paraplegics use would be $2000). Even if my leg didn&#146;t get uncomfortable if I can&#146;t stretch it out and back often, getting my knee between the steering wheel and the side of the car when I need to set the Prius brake is also a nuisance. Circulation in that leg is poor, so even a tiny wound would be big trouble, so I am also afraid of the sharp pedal hitting may leg in a crash, or just hitting it when I move the leg. The dealership assures me that if the modification is done at the professional outfit they suggest, it will be DOT approved and will not affect warranties except on the parking brake. Is there any better solution?
    IIHS rates Toyota Avalon and Volkswagen New Beetle (which is about the size and weight as a Prius) as best picks. When will they crash a Prius? The Japanese tests rate Prius "B" for head injury. I wonder if their "B" is equivalent to a US four or one star or what? The side view of a crashed Prius looks as if parts of the dashboard are detached, probably from hitting the dummies' legs, and the feet on the dummies look sharply bent upwards. Deformation of the car floor is mentioned. I wonder if the cars sold in the US will have some features which might improve their performance in maintaining shape of the passenger compartment? I don't want to be smashed anywhere, but a hard blow which didn't break bones would still be a disaster on my crippled leg.
    Also, will the Prius get side airbags sometime? I didn't like the view of the dummy's head exploding the window in the Japanese side crash test.
    I have also looked at the Pontiac Aztek. Its North Star system is attractive. Supposedly, if an airbag deploys, the system asks if the driver is OK, and sends help if it doesn't get on answer. Also, it can locate the car if stolen or carjacked. Will the Prius navagation system have these features? If it is mainly for location on a map, it doesn't seem a big deal to me. I can read regular maps and stay pretty well up on where I am.
    After all these negative questions, I still need to say that I love how the Prius drives. It is really comfortable (other than that parking brake), easy to get in and out of (I am short and fat), and fun to drive. I got around 48-50 mpg in town test driving. I have test driven lots of sedans ranging from Hyundai to Volvo to Cadillac, plus a Honda van, and my favorite to drive is the Prius. Honda Insight is like getting out of a too-low sofa. I read somewhere that Toyota expects most Prius buyers to be men, but I suspect women will also like it. Perhaps some warm colors like red or gold should be among future options.
    I would appreciate any and all advice on the parking brake problem and any insight on Prius safety, for example, is it really significantly less safe than a New Beetle?
  • Options
    I have been very busy lately so I apologize for not answering sooner. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to answer your question. Demand is high on this car and the waiting list is 4 months long right now. Normally, that would mean very high resale. This car is different though. The buyers are different and anybody looking for one of these will be going to a dealership and not in the local newspaper.

As a trade in, you may actually do better than selling it on your own due to this. We do get people all the time who are on the border but are turned off by the long delivery time but I don't know how those people would feel about buying a used one immediately.

The truth is, I just don't know.
  • Options
    chanuschakchanuschak Member Posts: 4
    Hi Judiths,
    I have an Electric Green '01 Prius that I'm thrilled with. I'd be even more thrilled if I could have gotten cruise and GPS. I haven't seen any solid info yet about options for '02 Prius.

Regarding accessibility--in Japan, Toyota sells a special "Welcab" version of Prius which apparently has some accessibility features. Unfortunately I can't read the Japanese web sight, perhaps a dealer in your area could connect you with someone at Toyota who could provide more info. The Japanese web site is http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Prius/menu/frame/welcab.html

It's not clear from the website if the Prius Welcab version is meant for passengers or if the driver's side also has accessible features. From what I saw from looking around the Japanese web site, Toyota sells other "Welcab" models also.

You could also try posting on two other prius sites if you haven't already:
    http://www.egroups.com/group/toyota-prius
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/toyotaprius

For fun, I made my own web site www.priusenvy.com.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything out from Toyota about the interesting "Welcab" versions!
  • Options
    wmhpowellwmhpowell Member Posts: 15
    http://worldlingo.com/en/free_translations.html
    Works - sometimes, but not well... a dictionary translation - and a bad one at that. Oh - it's S l o w too!
    Looks like the driver's seat swivels out (didn't a Chrysler or T-Bird do that a LONG time ago??) and that there is a motorized "crane" in the trunk. Don't see any mention of passenger access enhancements.
    Bill Powell
  • Options
    rwt1rwt1 Member Posts: 1
    I also share judiths' concerns about the Prius' collision worthiness. Looking at the Japanese Web site, the Prius does not rate as well as the Corolla (which in turn does not rate all that well in the US). So I would also be interested to know if there are structural modifications for the US market that might improve the results. This was kind of a show-stopper for me; I have a family and with so many small cars with really excellent safety ratings now, it would be hard to justify the risk for a few MPG.

Which is too bad; I borrowed a Prius for a day test drive from Cliffy's dealership. It is not a fast car, but it is fun and pretty comfortable. Except for the safety concerns, it is certainly a suitable car for the US.
  • Options
    jay1000oaksjay1000oaks Member Posts: 2
    I have heard people talk about a 600 mile break-in period requiring under 60 MPH driving. What gives? I don't remember any other cars having that limitation?

Also, has anyone actually gotten an energy tax deduction or credit for the Prius even though it isn't all electric?
  • Options
    priussurferpriussurfer Member Posts: 1
    jay1000oaks -

Other cars are not Hybrids (except Honda's Insight). The "break-in" is to settle the components in the drive train, including the two generator/motors.

Pennsylvania offers a 30% GRANT program for the incremental cost of the hybrid technology on any hybrid vehicle.

Peter Morrison
  • Options
    All Toyota's have a section in the owners manual about break in periods. for the 1st 1000 miles, you are supposed to keep a car under 55 MPH and vary your RPMs. Also, for the first 200 miles you are to go easy on the brakes.

It is the opinion of my service department that this is a waste and is only there to keep the lawyers happy. The Prius break in is really no different than any other car.
  • Options
    energybentenergybent Member Posts: 1
    Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Now driving an '84 Nissan 300ZX, and the Prius has as much get-up-and-go. Very smooth and extremely quiet. Could not even feel the changeover between electric and gas. Had more than enough power for steep hill and busy freeway entrance. Did not expect such good pick-up based on the specs. Question:
    Does anyone know what the insurance companies (AAA) are charging for covering this vehicle? Also, was told by dealer that $2500. tax credit forthcoming here in Calif. Also told that leather not available if side airbags installed by factory. If no airbags, leather available as dealer installed for $1100. extra. Dealer pushing leasing.All service free for 36mo lease period. But will sell as well as lease. Price is $20,800 MSRP in Culver City, CA. including single CD disc player. No mention of floor mats, cruise, or navigation system. DO YOU THINK THIS CAR WILL HAVE DECENT RE-SALE BEING SO NEW IN 3-10 YEARS? My "Z" is 17 years old and has a Kelly Blue Book of $2,150 (low) and $3,815 (High). Should I wait for Prius II to be sure all bugs removed, or go ahead? $1,000 non-refundable deposit required.

Dealer is marking up vehicle $1,000 due to short supply. Another dealer wants $3,000 markup over MSRP. I want to do something for the environment, but would like to keep this car until viable fuel cell available. Best estimate: 3-5 years. Please give me your comments. Thanks. E-mail me at edharker01@yahoo.com.
  • Options
    ibosketibosket Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered my Prius, to be delivered in around Jan-Feb '01. I searched for some info on Energy Tax issues, and came up with the following text from THE NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR SCIENCE AND THE ENVIRONMENT:

"Tax Credit for Fuel Efficient Hybrid Vehicles. A new tax credit would be available for the purchase of cars and light trucks (including minivans, sport utility vehicles, and pickups) that run alternately on a consumable fuel, such as gasoline, and a rechargeable energy storage system (such as an electric battery). These "hybrid" fuel vehicles, which are more economical -- fuel efficient -- than comparable vehicles in their class, would qualify for an income tax credit from $750 to $3,000 per vehicle, depending on two factors: 1) the proportion of the vehicle's power generated by the energy storage system (the higher the proportion, the greater the tax credit); and 2) whether the vehicle has a regenerative braking system (in which case the credit is greater depending upon how much energy is supplied by such a system). A qualifying hybrid vehicle would be a vehicle powered by onboard fuel, which uses regenerative braking and an energy storage system that will recover at least 60% of the energy in a typical 70-0 braking event. Such a qualifying vehicle would have to satisfy all emission requirements applicable to gasoline-powered automobiles. This credit would be available for vehicles purchased between January 1, 2003, and December 31, 2006."

So from this it appears that we are still several years away from a tax credit. Are individual states dealing with their own credits? How can I find out more about it?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ewmetzerewmetzer Member Posts: 3
    For more information, I suggest you visit two other discussion groups:

www.egroups.com/group/toyota-prius
    and
    clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/toyotaprius

Each group has links and files relating to tax credit and tax deduction issues. I plan to buy my Prius on 11/7/00, and hope it will qualify me for $2K off my income taxes due 4/01. One IRS person emailed favorable comments about a Prius qualifying for this "electric vehicle credit" because the major electric motor is directly connected to the wheels and is required to initiate movement in both forward and reverse. This credit, if applicable, will still be available in 2001 but may be phased out over several years later--unless whoever is the new Prez changes the rules!

NO-ONE IN THE U.S. HAS YET GOTTEN A TAX CREDIT ON THE PRIUS BECAUSE NO PRIUS OWNERS HAVE FILED THEIR Y2000 RETURNS YET!

Enjoy your Prius!
    --Eric in Enfield Maine, with 22 days to wait
  • Options
    ibosketibosket Member Posts: 2
    Eric,

Thanks for the info. I e-mailed the NCSE but have yet to receive a response. When I do I'll post it. Enjoy your Prius also -- it's hard to get too excited over it when it's months away!

Have a good day!

Curt in Sylvania, OH
  • Options
    It's great to hear that side airbags can be added. Their lack has been a concern for me. I would like to have side airbags and side curtain airbags to protect the rear passengers in this small car.Aztek and Passat have them.
    I received a response to my inquiry on Prius safety to NHTSA.The Japanese crash tests would probably translate to a 3 rating for HIC and chest for the driver and 4 for the passenger. They are testing the Prius in NCAP 2001.
    I certainly hate to see Prius offered with leather seats. Its big plus is that it is a 'green car", symbol of inconspicuous consumption. The meat industry is a major pollutor and a source of habitat destruction. 90% of the soybeans in the US are fed to anumals and the percentages of other grains are also startlingly high. If people cut down on use of meat and meat-related products like leather, more people could be fed on less land, costs of health care would decrease, people and animals would suffer less, and less marginal land would have to be farmed.
  • Options
    quest12quest12 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you read that Prius had leather seats... in the brochure there is only a gray fabric option?
  • Options
    ybronybron Member Posts: 2
    > Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Now driving
    > an '84 Nissan 300ZX, and the Prius has as much
    > get-up-and-go. Very smooth and extremely
    > quiet.
    > Could not even feel the changeover between
    > electric and gas. Had more than enough power
    > for steep hill and busy freeway entrance. Did
    > not expect such good pick-up based on the
    > specs. Question: Does anyone know what the
    > insurance companies (AAA) are charging for
    > covering this vehicle?

Mine, through AAA w/o any multi-vehicle or multi-insurance (other policies w/ AAA) discounts is ~1100, minus their year-end refund of 10%.
    Note that I live smack dab in the middle of the Bay Area though ...

> Also, was told by dealer that $2500. tax credit
    > forthcoming here in Calif. Also told that
    > leather not available if side airbags installed
    > by factory. If no airbags, leather available
    > as dealer installed for $1100. extra. Dealer
    > pushing

From what little I've read, I don't think side airbags and cruise are available on the 2001 MY, and I've *never* heard of leather before. As far as the credit goes, I imagine that's all up to you when filing taxes.

> leasing.All service free for 36mo lease period.
    > But will sell as well as lease. Price is
    > $20,800 MSRP in Culver City, CA. including
    > single CD disc player. No mention of floor
    > mats, cruise, or navigation system.

Mats should be in for that price. I think that's what they charged me (I got a phone call from the dealer when it arrived in port asking if I wanted mats and CD installed). No cruise or nav (yet).
    The service is actually worded as "the first
    5 services", which at 7500 miles apart, gives you about 15k miles a year for 3 years in a row. Note that you will then have to pay up for the 3-year mark service ...

> DO YOU THINK THIS CAR WILL HAVE
    > DECENT RE-SALE BEING SO NEW IN 3-10 YEARS?
    > My "Z" is 17 years old and has a Kelly Blue
    > Book of $2,150 (low) and $3,815 (High). Should
    > I wait for Prius II to be sure all bugs
    > removed, or go ahead?
    > $1,000 non-refundable deposit required.

Not sure about resale w/ the fast pace of technology. but unless production and development of new hybrids really takes off soon, I can see that people might still be eager to join the hybrid crowd in 3 years when they are more common.
    I also think that a majority of the flaws have probably been worked out over the last two production years in Japan, leaving just the usual typical new car quirks.

> Dealer is marking up vehicle $1,000 due to
    > short supply. Another dealer wants $3,000
    > markup over MSRP. I want to do something for
    > the environment, but would like to keep this
    > car until viable fuel cell available. Best
    > estimate: 3-5 years. Please give me your
    > comments. Thanks. E-mail me at
    > edharker01@yahoo.com.

According to cliffy1, and my own experiences, I don't think that the dealers are allowed to either discount or mark up the Prius. Try other dealers around, if possible, but be aware of long ordering
    delays. Maybe they had a customer back out of ordering theirs and are now charging a high markup for a car that is available immediately?

-/\/
  • Options
    I have never said dealers can change prices. In fact we are free to sell the car for whatever we want. A dealership would be stupid to mark this car up however. To us, this is a free deal. We don't have to advertize for it, we don't have to stock anything. When we take an order one one, we are assured of actually getting the car. This is totally unlike the MR2 which has a waiting list a mile long at dealers who don't mark them up.

If your dealership is trying to sell this car over MSRP, find another one. Start calling or e-mailing as many stores as you can. Widen your search of dealers to the extreme of how far you are willing to drive when the car comes in. Find somebody who is honest and you have confidence will place the order properly.
  • Options
    It has been brought to my attention that I never corrected a post I wrote a few months ago. I had made the statement that MD and VA made the Prius exempt from the title tax. This is not true of VA but is of MD. Sorry for not correcting this sooner.
  • Options
    teach8teach8 Member Posts: 1
    I got a call that my new Prius was here. Finally after 3 months it arrived. I went to pick it up and now the dealer wants to "rook" me on my trade-in. Question - can the dealer threaten to sell my new Prius to anyone who comes through the door if I do not pick it up within 2 days? That is what they are telling me. My trade is a 97 Grand Caravan, fully loaded with 81K miles. I went in as a single woman and think they are trying to take advantage - they picked the wrong person! I thought I understood from this website that the cars were specifically ordered. If it wasn't delivered to the person who ordered it, don't they have to send it back to Toyota for the next person on the list? Dealer says they can sell it off the lot at a higher price. What gives?
  • Options
    chanuschakchanuschak Member Posts: 4
    I experienced the same song-and-dance when I wanted to trade my 96 Taurus for my new Prius. Their starting offer was $1000 for my Taurus, which was ridiculous. I told them I would keep my trade in and sell it myself. Then they countered with $300 less than the Kelly blue book value, which was fair. I guess the dealers will try and make some profit on trades since they apparently are not getting much on the sale of the new Prius.

Check your trade in value at www.kellybluebook.com and see what the dealer says. Be warned, though, that the Blue book value will be several thousand less than you could get if you sold it yourself. In Minnesota, it's a big hassle to sell privately, so I swallowed the loss to avoid the hassle and inconvenience. I didn't have extra parking available for two cars, even temporarily, so that was the clincher for me.
  • Options
    Trade ins are the only down side to this ordering process. First, a dealer can't predict what the trade value will be in three months so handling it up front generally will not work.

My suggestion is to wait until you get the e-mail that your car is 1 to 2 weeks out (you will get this) and take the trade in then. Be prepared to leave the trade out of the deal. If you don't want to or are unwilling to sell the trade on your own, you must be prepared to settle for less than you expect. The other option is to sell the car to a place like CarMax who buys cars without trading them. They generally pay higher than most dealers (at least in my area) but less than you could get on your own.

It should come as a shock to nobody that dealers want to make more money. At MSRP, our "gross profit" is pretty low on the Prius and holding back a few hundred on a trade is one method we have for picking up a few bucks.

Now, having said that, let me also state that you still need to be careful about who you are dealing with. There are far too many dealerships that will try to pressure you and lie about things. You can be prepared for this by having alternative ways to dispose of your trade.

One last word here about trades. Be realistic going in. Kelly and Edmunds are good guides but they are just that, guides. They do not tell you the value of your car. They tell you what they think the value of your car is but the true value is what somebody else is willing to pay for it and this often is different than these services estimate. This is particularly true of high mileage cars and domestic minivans.
  • Options
    bmwong2bmwong2 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering the Prius. I drove it and was impressed, but I am concerned that there is no safety data. Did the training talk about safety or the crumple zones or side re-inforcements??
  • Options
    bmwong2bmwong2 Member Posts: 2
    I am seriously considering the Prius, what is a reasonable price, according to Edmund's $19,995 is the best you can do. To those who purchased one, is this the best price? Also what is the atitude of the dealerships, are they willing to deal or is it like any other car??

Thanks
  • Options
    The price of $19995 plus the destination fee of $455 is as good as you are likely to find. There is nothing preventing us from marking it up or down but I know of no dealerships who are doing anything but the sticker price.

You might get lucky but don't hold your breath. The more important thing to shop for on this car is the quality of the dealership, not the price. Find a store that offers to let you use their computers to place the order and will let you watch them confirm the order. Find a store with salesmen who can answer detailed questions about the car. Find a store that will let you talk to the master technician who works on them. Most of all, find a salesman who deserves and earns your money. You will be much happier with the car by doing this kind of research. I think some of the experiences posted here will bear the value of this out.
  • Options
    A post in the Prius group on Yahoo mentioned that side air bags and leather would soon be available.Whether they are correct or not, I don't know. The Prius I test drove had the gray cloth, and the brochure mentions it. I commented on both issues, to see what others know (and just in case Toyota decision makers are watching these sites). The airbags seem a reasonable addition, but the leather seems contrary to the "green" outlook used in designeing Prius. Folks who want leather seats and a dash trimmed with exotic wood, should check out Audi.
  • Options
    Check out http://www.greenercars.com/online.html
    For a small fee, you can compare online any cars that interest you in "green" ratings.Prius ranks highest.
  • Options
    paul456hpaul456h Member Posts: 8
    I took delivery of my Prius about 3 weeks ago and am averaging about 47 miles per gallon in city driving. I am not getting the rated 52 miles per gallons, which is a bit disappointing. I am driving on flat roads, and have been careful not to start or stop abruptly. Would other Prius owners please post their fuel consumption? Thanks.
  • Options
    gdoyle1gdoyle1 Member Posts: 2
    I, too, am getting 47.x mgp. I hover around
    47.5 mpg. I have not yet had the car out
    on the highway. I average about 35 mph during
    my 10-mile trip to work each day.

Still, I have driven the car every day for more
    than a month now, have logged more than 600 miles
    on the car, and have had to put gas in the car
    just once. Quite a change from when I was
    driving my Caravan to work.

- G. Doyle
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    For those of you that have Priuses, I was wondering: do you feel and hear the gas engine starting and stopping constantly while driving?
  • Options
    mrgreenjeansmrgreenjeans Member Posts: 28
    Hi! I am a first time user of this web site, but oh so thankful I found it! I signed a lease agreement on August 22, 2000 and was told that my car would arrive in November,2000. My question is this: How will I be notified of the arrival of my car? I have heard different things such as getting an e-mail from Toyota regarding arrival time. I also heard that I would receive a letter and owner's manual in the mail approximately two weeks prior to the car's arrival. Others have told me that the dealer I am leasing it from will simple notify me that, "It's here!" Is there any protocol for notification? I would love to hear from people who have had received their car or are about to. It's been a long, long, long wait for this car, but I'm hopeful it will be well worth it. Thank you to any and all for your help! Keep it GREEN! :)
  • Options
    I got another thought to throw out there. I was wondering how well the car would perform during a harsh winter. I live in New England (Hartford,Connecticut) to be exact and our winters can sometimes be quite harsh. Does anybody know how well the Prius operates during frigid cold temperatures? How well does it handle the ice and snow? I will hopefully get my car this month (November) and winter's onset is about to begin. I fret about getting this car at this time of year especially when I know so very little about how well it will handle a potentially "old fashion winter". Again, thank you to any and all for your help. Keep it GREEN! :)
  • Options
    About 8 weeks after I placed my order, I received the owner's manual. Then, about 3 more weeks later I got a phone message from the Toyota office in San Francisco that the Prius I ordered has arrived in Long Beach CA and that I was should call back to confirm that I still want the car, which I did. They said the car will be at the dealer in 2 weeks. Coincidentally, that same afternoon, I got a call from the dealer who said that the customer ahead of me had backed out and he has a Prius on the lot that I can purchase, which I did that evening. During the next few days, I got additional emails that the car that I ordered is on its way, but I called them back that I already purchased a Prius. Then after another week, I got a gift (a small, calculator size device for storing phone numbers, etc.) in the mail with a note that says something like we are working as fast as possible to get you your car. I guess the communication is not perfect between different Toyota parties. Therefore, I guess you might hear from different parties from Toyota when your car arrives in the US. Don't worry if the messages are confusing. I'll be worth the wait.
  • Options
    While driving, I can't tell from the engine noise whether the gasoline engine is on or off. When stopped at a red light, sometimes both the gasoline and electric engines turn off and there is no engine noise. The first few times this happened, I thought the car had stalled. But when I stepped on the accelerator, the car goes again.
  • Options
    I am about to settle on a Prius, and have a few questions which some of you can possibly help me with.
    A local dealer says he can get a new one in the color I want in two weeks. Is he crazy? I read on the net about all the people that have waited months and months and still don't expect theirs for weeks yet He says that the boat is in and our area is allotted plenty.
    Trac cars are coming available now. They are broken in, and probably offer protection from the total lemon that happens now and then with any brand-new car. On the other hand, this is a car that seems to respond a lot to driving style, and I am a bit inclined to break in mine myself. Yes, I'm a bit possessive-feeling, which is part of why I am settling on this vehicle. I am over fifty, have never bought a new car (always used, always field vehicles), and figure I might as well suit myself and get something to have fun with. Even though the idiot positioning of the parking brake causes me to bump my bad leg on it, I may go ahead. If wrapping my leg in a woolly comforter and duct-taping foam rubber on the brake doesn't work well enough, I'll get a local handicapped mod. business to cut the brake and move it.
    The other contender for my money right now is a Volkswagen Passat, highly recommended by friends, chock full of airbags and clearly safer, especially for those friends in the back, as the Prius has no side airbags. It just isn't as fun to drive, at least for me. Anyone want to give me some Passat vs Prius comments? Passat is supposed to be Consumer Reports' car of the year, but I don't think they add in "green" ranking when they figure these awards.
    Anyone want to comment on the trac car vs. new issue on a Prius? Our local dealers have tended to take their trac car as a run-around, and I figure they are rougher drivers than I am and may not have paid any attention to the break-in info.
    Where can I get removable seat covers for a Prius? I would like to put washable covers on. I look at the seats in my 1982 Land Cruiser, which reflect some hard field work days as well as lots of regular use. Sweat. Duct-taped torn spots. Possibly I can keep the little car looking spiffy a while, although the only seat covers likely to get dirty faster than the fuzzy grey ones it comes with would be fuzzy white ones.
    Has anyone had experience in plugging a phone in the Prius? Does it stay charged well enough to keep the phone working? I read that there is no charging when the car isn't running. I keep the phone in there for emergencies, and don't want to find it dead, if I have to call the special Prius help number.
  • Options
    From my Prius driving experience, and from reading the posts on clubs.yahoo.com, it appears that the Prius hybrid system takes about 5 minutes to warm up. During the frist 5 minutes of city driving, the fuel consumption is about 25 to 35 miles per gallon. Therefore, for driving many short trips from cold starts, the fuel consumption will not be anywhere near the advertised mpg. Nonetheless, the overall mpg is still much better than most cars on the road.
  • Options
    Any dealer stupid enough to sell their TRAC car should be shot. How in the world do they expect to sell this car if they don't have one to test drive? If they will sell it substantially less than a new one, go for it. Otherwise sign up and wait for the e-mail notification to let you know you are has arrived.

Your local dealer is also wrong about delivery times. Your salesman obviously has never taken an order for a Prius yet. See if he'll put that in writing. It would be good for a laugh when he discovers the dealer has nothing to do with getting the cars.
  • Options
    There are three local dealers around here. Two are willing to sell trac cars, knocking off $500-$800 for between 1000 and 2000 miles. I'll bet the third would, too, but I haven't asked as I prefer the color on the others.
    For the difference, I'd rather have a new one, if I believed the "two weeks" promise, which was reiterated to me today. "Order by the 16th and have it in two weeks", they say. The dealership which has my top choice color trac car has sold one Prius, so ordering shouldn't be all new to them, but two weeks still seems fishy, as you say.
  • Options
    bfroelichbfroelich Member Posts: 4
    In my Prius, stopping and starting the gas engine is hardly noticeable. The transmission design requires no clutch or starter, so there is no jerky feeling or starter noise when the engine cuts in or out. If there is any amount of noise from wind, pavement, etc., the only way I can tell if the engine is running is to look at the display screen. You have to test drive this car to see for yourself how smoothly the hybrid system works.

Bob F
  • Options
    I ordered my 2001 Prius on August 22, 2000. I have heard NOTHING from neither the dealership nor Toyota. I was told when I ordered it, that the car should arrive this month (November). Each time I speak with the customer representative at the dealership about its whereabouts, she says they have not heard about any incoming Prius'. Sometimes I just can't help think that they forgot to place my order. Has anybody had any similar experiences. Your help is valuable, as I will report the results of this inquiry to my dealership. Thank you! Keep it GREEN! :)
This discussion has been closed.