Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

Comments

• adoslickadoslick Member Posts: 8
    Good research in msg 496. Apparently that Senate (and companion House) bill have not yet been reintroduced into the current Congress. Would bet it would not be made retroactive even if finally passed.

The clean-fuel credit IS something I will take a look at. Considering the cost of components, would seem to be a cinch to claim that the electric motor/hybrid system (including computer and excluding the gasoline engine) contributed at least $2000 towards the cost.

I would still think one could quibble about the electric car credit and "primarily." But the other credit looks cleaner.
  • danno_98011danno_98011 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for posting the tax credit info. I'm fairly certain I'm going to purchase a Prius regardless but I do think that since the tax rule says the "primary" power source must be electric, the Prius doesn't qualify for this one. The reason is simply that ALL of the power (mechanical, electrical, whatever) for Prius originates from the gasoline you put into it's tank. You never plug it in to an electric outlet to put energy into it. Someone might say, well the brakes charge the batteries and so that's not gasoline power. But, of course, it is - the brakes are just sending the kinetic energy that came from the gas engine in the first place to the batteries instead of wasting it as heat in the brakes. Well, just about everything I've seen so far about this car sounds very good. I'm sure there'll be some hickups and we'll hear plenty from the skeptics as we always do with new things. The only thing that's holding me up on buying one is that I haven't had time to review all the other hybrids out there yet. Hope we get to hear more good news on coming energy/tax credits.
  • rlauristonrlauriston Member Posts: 3
    We've had our Prius for a week now. The good news is that on my wife's commute she's averaging 48 mpg one way and 55 the other. The bad news is that we're getting only around 30mpg for short trips around town (no heat, no A/C, no fan, shift not in "B"). I'm going to talk with the dealer about that.

Our dealer (Toyota of Berkeley, CA) said they haven't seen any 6-disc changers and that they couldn't swap the 1-disc the factory substituted for a 6-disc.
  • paul34bpaul34b Member Posts: 33
    I have had my Pries since Jan 24 now. I still love it. Especially in this cold weather in Maine. Starts well and heats up better than my 88'Chevy Nova I traded in. Unfortunately gas mileage has been under 30mpg. I am only taking short trips, commuting to work less than 3 miles away but still. I am told it might have to do with the break-in period. After a few hundred miles or few thousand gas mileage will go up. I hope so. Of course I have the heater going which I understand takes up some gas. Oh well. I'll hang on to it for at least four months seeing it took over that amount of time for delivery.
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    Any experiences or recommendations for color and degree of tint for a white Prius?
    Thanks,
    Don Gillespie
    Nashville, TN
  • rrcarterrrcarter Member Posts: 3
    I received my Prius about 2 weeks ago. What a fantastic car! I got mine from the Toyota dealership in Dubbin CA.

And... It's got extra stuff!

It has a 6 disk in dash ad changer. (How do they get 6 disks inside the dash mounted player?) It is controlled from the center control monitor.

It has a two toned leather interior. The leather was offered to me from the dealership, and installed at a site in wayward. I got to pick the patterns and colors at the installation site. They had a formatted printout sheet for the Prius (they have apparently customized a few Priuses), and a ring of leather swatches. The dealership had my car delivered to the customize. They called me and I took the swatches and the printout sheet to my car and filled in the printout sheet with the colors and patterns I choose. I wasn't entirely confident that the two color layout pattern I picked would look great. But two days later when I picked up the car from the dealership, it looked fantastic!

They also installed a moonroof! (Same shop that did the leather.) I gotta say, this car looks real real goooood with two tone leather and a moon roof!

My dealer told me he had an offer of $30,000 cash from an excited buyer who wanted to take my car immediately.

I'm waiting for the GPS systems to become available. According to my dealer, they may be available as an ad don sometime in July.

By the way, I drove my car from South wayward to Dais CA last weekend (approx 90 miles). I was at 49.2mpg when arriving at Dais. And while driving around town I got up to 49.6mpg. I had filled up the car before making the trip. The fuel indicator was still on full when I arrived at Dais! My father (riding with me) and I were both amazed!

I'm certain this is one of the best investments I've made. I have a cousin and a friend who have both gone to order Priuses for themselves.

Oh, my out-the-door cost with all the extras was $26,015.
    "wayward to Davis" should read as "Hayward to Davis".

Be careful when using the spell checker. It apparently makes changes without you telling it to.
  • kendewskendews Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the tax credit info posted so far. I'm afraid I have to agree with the consensus that the Prius is not eligible for a tax credit on form 8834 - based largely on the paragraph they added for year 2000. I do think that the clean fuel vehicle deduction might apply, but even if one could take the full $2000, its a deduction not a credit so you don't get to pocket the full $2000. In an act of desperation, I tried to get a definitive answer out of the IRS. No luck via phone, so I've written for a "private ruling" from the IRS legal department in Washington. What do you think my chances are there? Two things bother me: Having paid a bit extra for a cleaner vehicle it seems reasonable to be entitled to a tax credit - not specifically excluded from one and, I already had that $2000 spent! OK, now I feel better. And of course I do love the car...
    ". Unfortunately gas mileage has been under 30mpg. ... I am told it might have to do with the break-in period."

Our dealer offered that explanation but I don't buy it. I heard from another Prius owner who lives nearby and he's been getting ~50mpg for in-town trips since day one. So we're taking it into the shop on Monday.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    A couple of days ago, a post of mine was deleted because the "powers that be" thought it crossed the line of soliciting business. I was going to point out that used Prius' can be found. We had one here and available for delivery. Our used car manager paid a lot of money for this car and it actually sold a bit over the original MSRP, but the customer was able to drive it off the lot the same day she decided she wanted it.

For those of you in the market, it can pay to look around for deals like this. You may pay a few dollars more, but you will not have to wait the 5 months.

Man, these are nice cars.
    "It's got extra stuff! It has a 6 disk in dash ad changer."

rrcarter, by "extra stuff" do you mean you didn't order a 6-disk changer but it was delivered with one?

Because we ordered one, didn't get it, and our dealer claimed they hadn't seen any.

You live in Dublin, not "Dubbin," right?
  • teddy11teddy11 Member Posts: 4
    After five months of impatient waiting, I finally took possession of my Prius. It is now two weeks young, and I marvel at the successful marriage between the engine and motor. This little gem has for the most part addressed my most important criteria considerations. (entry-exit, comfort, ride, diagnostics, noise suppression, etc.) It may not be a ball of fire from a standing start, but it is totally adequate. The added torque from the electric motor easily duplicates the normal acceleration rate of most sensible drivers. (I timed 0-60mph in 13 seconds) I find that I can easily do without the extra goodies of previous cars (moonroof, which I seldom used; Leather seating, which needed heating in winter; power to spare, which I paid for with 93 octane, etc.) However, if I were asked which feature I miss most, it would be the remote control to open the trunk. OK, so I'm spoiled, but when the hands are filled with groceries, well, you know. I would also like the antenna embedded in the window. Mileage is in the low forties,but the car is still in its infancy and not broken in. Startup is immediate, even in below freezing temperatures. HELL, I AM IMPRESSED.

I read about buyers who experienced less than pleasant experiences with their dealer. I dealt with Dayton Toyota of South Brunswick, NJ. Joe, my sales representative, was knowledgeable of the Prius. All personnel that I dealt with over the five month waiting period were considerate and helpful. No one was pushy or neglectful. They accepted a one hundred dollar down payment that was totally refundable. As per initial negotiations, side molding and molded mudguards will be installed at no extra charge. My purchase was a pleasant experience.

Question of the day. On prehybrid cars, cranking noise can be heard as the starter turns over the engine. On this car...turn the key...silence, and the engine is running. How do they do it? Anyone???
    You don't hear the cranking because of what is cranking the engine. On a normal car, you have a starter which is about the size of a man's fist. On the Prius, the generator is used to crank the engine and the generator is about 5 times the size of a normal starter. Since it is so big and powerful, it requires very little effort to start the gas engine.
    I've seen quite a few messages from buyers who have been told by their dealer that they can't get extras on the Prius. I wrote my first message to show that extras can be ordered on the Prius.

My dealer in Dublin (not Dubbin -- I accidently used the spell checker when writing the message and it automatically changed the spelling of every word it didn't recognize. It even respelled Prius as Pries (???). Some of the respellings I caught before submitting the message. Others got away.) Anyway, my dealer in Dublin offered the options of leather, moonroof and 6 disk changer to me. I had no idea you could get leather and moonroof on this car. All of these options were installed after the car was received from Japan.
    I am very pleased with the results. I have the comforts I like in a vehicle, and I get the excellent fuel economy, and do my part to help keep this air we have to breathe clean.
    I've had my Prius for just over 3 weeks now. I still have that glowing sort of "pride of ownership" feeling whenever I get in and drive.
    (I would like heated leather seats, but I'm just as happy without 'em.)

RE GAS MILEAGE -- I have noticed that the mileage I get in the first 5 minutes of driving usually averages around 27 to 30 mpg. The subsequent 5 minute intervals go up substantually. I'm averaging around 45 mpg combined city and highway.

I'm thinking this has something to do with the drive system reaching an optimal operating tempurature before being able to run at peak efficiency.
  • adoslickadoslick Member Posts: 8
    Lots of luck (to msg. 505) on getting a timely IRS private ruling on whether the Prius qualifies for the electric vehicle tax credit. Hopefully your request argues the case in the process of making the request rather than simply asking for a ruling. The tax credit would sure be a lot sweeter than just clean fuel deduction.

Back to "primarily" ... I think it clear that the IRS meant to exclude the Prius and Insight. That doesn't mean that their intent is consistent with the law, or that they understand the Prius.

Even though the gasoline motor is probably the major recharge source for the battery, that doesn't cut mustard. The publication (534?) notes that there can be a variety of sources that provide the (re)charge. Plugging a car into an electric socket? Most U.S. electric power is produced by fossil fuels.

So does "primarily" mean the primary source of power? I still believe that a close look at the meaning of "primary"/"primarily" leaves the matter at the least as a debatable issue, with a good argument to considering that the electric motor is the primary motor/source of power.
  • falvettefalvette Member Posts: 4
    I have read some post that talk about having cruise control. My dealer says no way it is a Toyota product. He thinks it is an after market add on. Does anyone know if there is or is not cruise available in the States for the Prius from Toyota? I just picked mine up today and drove it from Hickory, NC to Greensboro, NC. I checked the mileage real closely on the way back and got 58mpg and it was all interstate driving. I think I'm going to really like this car.
  • bbrazybbrazy Member Posts: 5
    Hmm, I think it may just be worth a drive to Dublin. Part of what's been stopping me from ordering a Prius is that I really want that moonroof. The true test is whether the trunk also will hold a stroller.

I love the service at our local dealer (Alameda) but hate the sales division. Sure, it's "buyer beware," but we still have a sour taste from the used car my husband bought there.
    There are postings in http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/toyotaprius

about aftermarket cruise control. Apparently if you're good mechanically, you can install it yourself.
    I'll be picking up my aqua Prius next weekend, thanks to the internet manager Rickey Hirose at Dublin Toyota and rrcarter on this board for mentioning Rickey. The dealership was selling its old TRAK models. So technically, I bought a used car (2,741 miles) but it will be new to me.

I am very, very happy with this sale. The car is getting a 6-disk CD changer installed at the dealership, and then will go out for aftermarket moonroof installation, and then California emissions for a smog-exempt ruling. Moonroof w/gizmos was $1300; I think that's about the same as Camry options and if not, well, I'm still happy with the deal and a can-do dealer.

btw following Cliffy's advice to try email, I emailed other East Bay dealers. I got this reply today from Toyota of Berkeley: "While we
    aren't selling our trak vehicle, one did just become available due to a
    cancellation. It will be arriving within the week."

So if anyone wants a Prius this week, call Berkeley.
  • dwbrowndwbrown Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Prius for a week and I can't figure out the fuel consumption meter. At the end of the first five minutes, it shows the average miles per gallon for that five minutes, right? But then after the second five minutes, the height of the bar for the first five minutes has changed. Why? And what do the little yellow icons mean?
  • joelinyjoeliny Member Posts: 3
    As each 5 minutes pass the bar moves over one column to the left. So the first five minutes is now in the second column. The column closest to the instant mpg is the always the last five minutes. Yellow icon is amount of recovered energy when coasting.
    Joe G.
    It has been a month since I've been driving my Prius. I'm in Maine and I admit the weather has been cold. My average mpg have only been around the 30-35mpg mark so far. Not very good in my estimation. Is it because it still needs time to be broken in and the weather needs to climb? Does anyone have any input? I'm hoping by spring mpg rating will jump.
    I got an interesting phone call yesterday from a reporter from the WSJ. She had been reading the posts here and is working on an article about Toyota's e-commerce and how that is working with the Prius. It was a fairly long conversation and I don't know quite where I fit into the article. She wasn't specific as to when it will be running either. She said something about an e-commerce insert sometime in April. If any of you subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, keep an eye out and let me know if you see it.

I thought is was neat that somebody is paying attention to what goes on here. She made mention of several of the good and bad posts here. She asked me about buyer frustrations with the process to get the Prius. I told her that the basis of most of the complaints isn't with the on-line process, but rather with dealers who long for the "good old days". I hope I represented your views well with this.
  • bbarhambbarham Member Posts: 1
    I've loved my Camry, which currently has over 226,000 miles and has not given me any problems. I'm interested in the fuel economy and cleaner air with the Prius, but hesitant since I do mostly interstate driving daily. Any concerns about safety? My area of I85 is considdered one of the deadliest areas in the country.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    The power, acceleration, and performance has never been an issue with Prius buyers. We all agree that they are very peppy and at this time, far safer than an older Camry both structurally and safety-wise with lots more safety features than your old car probably has.

Dianne
  • mrgreenjeansmrgreenjeans Member Posts: 28
    I have had my Aqua Prius since December 18th, 2000. Overall, I love the car and give it two thumbs up on its performance. For those of us who reside in colder climates with hilly terrain should take note that you will not see the anticipated 52mpg in city driving until warmer weather arrives. Because of the demands placed on my vehicle, such as heat and driving up and down medium-sized hills, I am averaging between 35-39 mpg. This is also due to the fact that my daily commute is about 7 miles each way. The car performs its best when completely warmed up. In fact, when I do long distance highway driving I can get between 43-46 mph as compared to my daily driving which is a mixture of city and highway driving. I have also noticed that the warmer the temperatures, the better the mileage. I should also add that I have only put in just over 2,000 miles since I had the car. I understand there is a 5,000 mile break-in period before the hybrid system works at its peak. I will monitor this closely. I have also noticed increased power in the cars performance up long-graded hills. In its infancy, this car took all its energy just to make the climb. Now, it does so with more ease. It could also be that I'm not "babying" the car like I did when I first got it, but honestly it does seem to have more power. Mileage aside, I must commend the car for handling snowy and icy road conditions. Our last major snow event featured 22" of snow here in Connecticut. Mine was the ONLY car in my parking lot to be able to plow through it! It was a proud moment. :) I have also gotten many many many compliments on the car's unique appearance. When I mention it is a hybrid car (assuming they know what one is) they are in shock! Since getting this car, I have saved money at the gas pump and generally feel good that I am conserving our resources and improving the quality of our air. After all, this world isn't about what we can reap from it, but how we can live within her boundaries without upsetting her delicate balance. Until next time, KEEP IT GREEN! :)~
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    I'll bet your mpg have more to do w/the temps and not so much the hills. If you play the hils right you can almost always get back the mpg you lost going up them [as in tn where I live].Your commute is long enough to get into the 40's mpg range w/o too much problems. Today in the 70's here and got 58 mpg [same for all my 55mpg plus trips] whereas 30-50 F range right at 40 mpg for me. I agree that the car seems to have more power as you drive it more.
    Cheers,
    Don
  • markregelmarkregel Member Posts: 32
    What about battery replacement cost? Anyone with a laptop computer knows that these batteries don't last very long and are expensive to replace. Also if you compare the EPA milage to similiar sized conventional sub compacts (with better performance), the difference is not all that exciting. Sure it gets good milage compared to your Lincoln Navigator.
    The batteries are covered under the 8 year/100K mile portion of the warranty so this will not be an issue for years. By that time, hopefully, technology will have caught up and they will not cost as much. Currently, a full bank of batteries costs about $4000 but again, due to the warranty, this is not a consumer expense.
  • gt2kgt2k Member Posts: 4
    Ok people, I have a question, I am a strong supporter of hybrid technology and electrical vehicles, I am an EE, but what is the point with this car. First of all, you still ONLY get 40 MPG which is about the same with a Focus or a Metro. You don't gain any power to going to this vehicle, and since it still consumes 12.5 Gallons of gas about every two weeks or so under normal conditions, why buy this car ??? It is an overpriced Focus in my eyes, it's still effecting the environment the same as a focus or metro would, and it still has little power, so why??? That's all I am asking, I live in East PA, so hills here are a prob, I wouldn't drive anything less than 200HP, that's why I am asking.

Thanks
    Emissions and comfort. First, the mileage will probably improve considerably in warmer months, but beyond that this is the only vehicle rated as an SULEV. It gets 75% fewer emissions than a ULEV which is what the Honda Insight and the Toyota Sequoia are rated at. The other thing is comfort. The Prius is an extremely comfortable vehicle compared to other cars in its size class.
  • danny28danny28 Member Posts: 158
    Try comparing the Prius to an Echo. The mileage seems about the same (35 city, 45 highway), but the Echo is faster, roomier, and $10K cheaper.

Even with lower emissions, this is only an issue in large cities with smog problems, right ? The greenhouse gas emissions (mainly CO2) would be about the same, no ?
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Echo's engine is very fuel efficient. It's one of the most fuel efficent car on the road. In this case, the Prius only has 6-7 mpg advantage, which may or may not justify the $7-8K premium for the Prius. The main difference here would be interm of high tech gee-wiz gadgets, emission and extra features.

A better comparison would be with the typical compact car such as the Ford Focus. According to EPA, the LX which with the comparable 110 hp engine, gets 25 mpg City/ 33 mpg Highway. With 50/50 driving, that's an average of 28 mpg.

Prius, with the same power (gas + electric) gets 52 mpg city/45 mpg. With 50/50 driving, that's 48.5 mpg.

Now, what that means is that the Prius is about 73% more fuel efficient. That I think, for many, would justifies the higher cost of the Prius. And further more, the Prius comes with many of the equipements standard, and are of higher material quality.

In the end, the Prius isn't going to be as cheap as the normal cars. As with any new technology, it tend to cost more when new. Even at $20K, Toyota is losing money producing it, so it's not like Toyota can cut the price much lower. If you think on that note, Prius is a bigger bargin than any other car on the market. :)
    Buying a Prius was a decision I made not only because of the incredible ride, technological advances and smart looks, but primarily because it's a step in the right direction. Hybrid systems are only a stepping stone to new, more environmentally friendly cars. In the meantime, this type of car serves as a Hallmark; a turning point so to speak, in the direction the automotive industry is heading. If nobody took an interest in this type of technology, we would never be able to develop even better automobiles. Better, of course, being defined by the society to which it is born. A hybrid system is "better" than the conventional system now used. Is it risky? Of course! But Toyota has taken much of the "risk" out of the car by offering a great warranty plan. I drive my car with pride. It's the kind of car one just feels "comfy" in. It fits! Like all new "ideas", "technologies" etc... the idea of change strikes fear and suspicion. Yet, some are intrigued and have looked beyond the 'here and now' to realize this is the car of the future. A future, I might add, that will help us live on a greener, healthier planet. Look further than the 'here and now'! KEEP IT GREEN! :)
    Well said. I tried to comunicate the same thing but you did it much better.
  • esoykeesoyke Member Posts: 1
    For those of you with a Prius
    Question 1- Were you able to get the $2000 tax credit for purchasing a clean fuel vehicle?

Question 2- I keep hearing that the engine usually must run if you've got the heater blasting (this was also pointed out in an article in March's 'Car And Driver'). Living in Florida this isn't a concern, but I'm wondering if the same is true for the Air conditioning. If you have the A/C going, how much does it affect your mileage? Must the gas engine run when it's on?
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Yes, the gas engine is ON when you run the air conditioner.
  • cc95cc95 Member Posts: 2
    i'm buying a new car and the Prius is at the top of my list (i've wanted a hybrid electric car since i first heard of them years ago!), but my dad keeps asking me three questions: is the car dependable and safe? how often does it have to be serviced? has anyone owned the car long enough to really know? does anyone have friends in japan?
  • cc95cc95 Member Posts: 2
    anyone know of a place/person in new york where/from whom i can get one w/out the 6 month wait?
  • norrisjnorrisj Member Posts: 3
    Any word that Toyota will make a 5-speed version of the Prius? I do not enjoy driving an Automatic (understatement) -- even in the city.
  • chasfoschasfos Member Posts: 3
    http://www.toyotadealer.com/fordham/index.html

search toyota website under prius dealers.
    Don't look for a manual tranny any time soon. One of the reasons the Prius gets the emissions ratings is does is because of the CVT. When a gas engine is running during shift points, you increase emissions. This is why many of the new Toyota products don't come in a manual any more. Our 4.7 liter V8 in the Sequoia and Tundra qualify as a ULEV engine but wouldn't if they were available in a manual.
    I just wanted to let curious Prius people how well my Prius is performing in this wintery winter. As you may know, we here in the Northeast have been hit by yet another major snow event. Where I live in Connecticut, we only had about 12-20 inches of snow, but other parts of New England have had considerably more. Although we've been hit with a lot of snow all winter long, this car handled itself like a pro. At no time did I feel any slipage. It's wheels gripped the snowy roads better than any car I've driven. I will keep you posted as all eyes are on the West Coast as it too may become our next Nor'Easter. THINK GREEN! Spring is on her way!
  • juryjury Member Posts: 4
    Hello All,

I'm looking to sell my gas pig Jeep Wrangler for a smaller more environmentally friendly car. I really love my Jeep but am starting to feel bad about having two gas pigs in the family ( my wife drives a Sequoia ).

I'm considering a Honda Civic 4dr EX over the Prius and here are my reasons. The Honda gets 32/39 miles per gallon with an automatic and a 127 hp gasoline engine. It also comes with CD player and sunroof for about $3000 less dollars than the Prius. The Honda uses a tried and true gasoline engine that I will most likely be able to drive for 200k or more miles.

With all of this going for the Honda, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why I should get the Prius instead? I live in Georgia were the A/C will be used often. I will also have to drive on mountain roads as I am an avid mountain biker.

Thanks for you insight ( no pun intended ).
    The Prius is not for everyone. It is for those who want the cleanest burning vehicle on the road short of a pure electric car. It is for those who want great gas mileage (although don't make this your only factor in the purchase). It is for those who want a cutting edge vehicle.

The Prius not only comes with a long warranty, it comes with your first three years of maintenance paid for by Toyota. It is a very roomy and comfortable car. It has ABS (which I don't think the Civic does).

If the bulk of your driving is in town and stop and go and you place a premium on being environment ally friendly, take a good look at the Prius.

I will also mention one thing about your Sequoia. While it is a gas hog, the emissions rating is extremely good. It is rated as a ULEV engine. This is the same level as the Honda Insight. The Prius is an SULEV which produces 75% less harmful emissions.
    I'm not a Toyota sales person nor do I earn commission on any Prius sales, yet I am constantly advocating in favor of purchasing/leasing this car over the conventional gasoline engine for one VERY IMPORTANT reason: our future. The choices you make today will effect generations to come. I do not believe that the Prius is the "end all" in automotive technology, but I do believe that if we do not put faith in this eviromiracle-of-a-vehicle, we will limit the number of possibilities in the future. Think of this car as a prototype of cars yet to be. Toyota believes in the future so much, that they have put millions of dollars on the line to voice the direction they are headed. Through our capitalistic "world economy", I am sure this will spark other car makers to produce equally evirofriendly cars. BUT ONLY IF WE SHOW INTEREST. As one technology builds upon another, we will one day be able to produce a vehicle that profits both the environment and the company who creates it. It is not out of the question and the Prius will surely lead the way. No, you don't buy the Prius for "power", for the Prius possesses power unmatched by any of today's vehicles. Its power is not in it's horsepower, but rather its wisdom. I hope you choose your next vehicle with the future in mind. Keep it Green! :)
    Ok, I picked up my Prius on Jan 24. Two weeks ago the buzzer sounded for my brakes and I had to have my new vehicle brought to the dealership. They have had it since as I am told the hydraulic brake booster needed to be replace. Since it needed to be ordered (from California) it would take a while to get to Maine. So far the dealer has had my car in the shop 1/2 the lenght of time I have owned it. Does anyone know of any problems regarding brakes? I hope this is not something of things to come or I will be very upset. Maybe I should have listen to my mother and bought a VW.
  • casinoopcasinoop Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone-
    This is a CAUTION regarding the kind of oil you use at your regularly scheduled maintance procedures. We recently took our Prius for it's 7500 mile service to a large local Toyota Dealer who claimed to be very familiar with servicing them. I wanted to make sure they would use 5W30 oil as the manual specifies (for GOOD REASON) and was told "we always use 10W30 -- it's plenty good enough". Now, I have had mucho experience with the difference in mileage between 5W30 and 10W30 oil in several cars, and insisted upon 5W30. They reluctantly (and condencendingly) agreed, and the car has produced the same excellent mileage (44-52 mpg overall) as before. The lesson is: If you don't want a sudden and significant (and mysterious) degradation in gas mileage in your Prius, INSIST ON THE DEALER USING 5W30 MOTOR OIL AT SERVICING.

Grant Calkins, Camarillo, CA
    CasinoOp@worldnet.att.net
  • praaggspraaggs Member Posts: 1
    Comments on a few of the posts I read:

5-speed: The Prius's CVT(continuously variable transmission) is better than an automatic and a manual transmission. We have beaten both types of vehicles with comparable engine power off of the line many times, simply because the engine NEVER REALLY SHIFTS! So you don't lose the power in shifting.

This car is NOT for people who want a Sports Car.

This car IS for people who want practicality, FUN, and a chance to change the automotive industry forever. This car is for people who want to feel good about driving a car and save money on gas doing it.

This car promotes driving according to gas mileage, not speed. You find yourself accelerating slowly and decelerating slowly, not wanting to race all the way to a light, only to have to "slam on it" and stop just to have to start up again. This ends up making you drive safer and give you the time to NOTICE THE WORLD as you drive by it.

This car makes you wonder why regen braking hasn't been used before, and gives you a whole new perspective on driving.

You find a new joy in sneaking up on people in parking lots because they can't hear you coming. The looks and stares you get, make you get noticed even more. Here in IOWA, we are one of 2 Prius owners in our city that we know of. It has handled the winter well, averaging over 30 mpg since November, with all of the cold(below freezing), snow and warming up we needed to do and all of the highway driving. When the outside temp gets up to 40F, the fuel efficiency improves to 45mpg easily.

Heater& AC: Yes, if you continuously run Heat and AC on High, the engine will stay on. You will notice this at intersections when the engine shuts off. If you turn on the heat/ac the engine will turn on, this helps you realize that you don't really need it on High all of the time.

If you like your fan on HIGH a lot, the Prius is not for you.

The PRIUS IS JUST PLAIN FUN!
  • eadebrouxeadebroux Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my Prius, and so far love it. Cliffy1 mentioned the Prius comes with your first three years of maintenance paid for by Toyota. This was never mentioned when I purchased
    the car. Is this regional or is it for everyone? I was also told that Toyota would send me a
    certificate that can be used for the $2000 tax credit. Does anyone know more about this?
    Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.