Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There is nothing you need to do to get the maintenance covered. If you look in your maintenance book, you will notice that everything listed in the blue boxes have an asterisk next to it. Look at the bottom of the page and you will see that those items are covered under the new car warranty. Its a pretty complete coverage program.

I have no idea about the tax credit issue.
  • jdarcyjdarcy Member Posts: 8
    It seems to me most Prius owners are making a political statement than a practical one because of the 7000-10000 price difference over an Echo. Isn't the Echo more economical in hwy. driving?
    Lets hope the government doesn't distort the market with tax credits. Whenever something is subsidized either directly or indirectly, the result is price increases equal to or in excess of the subsidy. The consumer loses by having higher sales/licensing taxes imposed and even worse if their tax situation diminishes the value of the tax credit.
    A recent example of this is the Hope scholarship credit and other deductions worth about $2,500. Double digit tuition increases quickly followed, consuming any value of the credit and leaving those that don't benefit further behind.
    I would like to own a Prius or even better a fuel cell vehicle in the future. However the value equation must be right. I currently drive a 2001 Camry 5sp. avg. 33.5MPG 60% hwy miles.
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    I have one of each. Prius is very refined and QUIET. Seems to have more interior room and a lot more features. The echo will NOT get 57-59 mpg [both city and hiway driving] the prius gets in temps above 50F.Echo is a pretty good car though for $10000 [base model}.Powerful and simple to drive. Retrofits well to a SCS cruise control.Each car has a place and are really different cars- depends on you!
    Don Gillespie
    Nashville TN
  • teddy11teddy11 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Cliffy1, for comments to #513
    I noticed that a few owners are confused as to the torque characteristics of the Prius. If this vehicle lived up to the combined engine and motor torque ideal numbers, this car would take off like a bat out of hell. Since it does not, there must be other limiting factors. An example will describe what takes place in a battery under varying load conditions.
    Take a flashlight battery and place a 10 ohm resistor (load) across its terminals. Since 10 ohms do not present much of a load to 1.5 volts, the terminal voltage will remain near constant. Lower that resistor to three ohms, (increased load) and the terminal voltage will read about 1 volt. The other .5 volts is lost to the battery's own internal resistance. The same thing happens to the car battery under "heavy load" conditions. (high acceleration, hills etc.) Industry would resolve this problem by providing extra voltage (in our case, more batteries) to be called upon only during heavy loading. The voltage would then be considered "regulated", but at a greater expense and complexity. The higher available torque would satisfy the cowboy instinct in us, but would not serve our practical economic interests. I do believe that Toyota has settled on a good compromise between power and economy.

I took possession of my Prius on 1-30-01 and love it just the way it is.
  • freewayguy1freewayguy1 Member Posts: 7
    On the 111th day of my Pruis order, we received the fabled Prius calculator by UPS. On the 120th day, we received a phone call from the regional office telling us that our silver Prius had just arrived in Portland, Oregon. The options will be installed at the port before shipment. Toyota said that the dealer should receive the car here in the Midwest in about three weeks. I guess it's time to get out the checkbook.
  • rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    Does anyone know what the average waiting period is these days between ordering and taking delivery?
    Also, when going through the Prius website to get "authorization", is a potential buyer "locked in" to a particular dealer for ordering? (The reason I ask is that I am not particularly thrilled with the nearest Toyota dealer that is handling the Prius.)
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Current wait time is 5 months from order to delivery. And yes, you are locked into the dealership you select. I would suggest trying a few other dealers. When you find one you like and trust, you can place the order right there in the showroom on their PC. I've done this on many occasions and confirm the order while the customer looks on. This way they know it was done correctly.
  • rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    Thanks Cliff!
  • jshierjshier Member Posts: 1
    I am a three week Priius owner from Green Bay, WI. 66 y.. nurse. I am fascinated by the variety of reasons people have given for be aiding tour chase a Pries. I suspect that for any of us, our motivations are numerous and compels. For me it has been aqcombination of environmental consciousness, fascination with the new and unique, desire to be in the forefront (I drove VW Beetles from 1953 to 1989) and just plain liking to show off.

While greatmilage is a significant reason for owning Prius, I think the long-range value of this technology will be in its lack of environmental impace re: milae and particularly, low emissions.

Note for comment: I cannot understand why we in the U.S. have a problem getting cruise control when it is apparently stadeard on cars delivered to canade. I am one of many (I hope) lobbying Toyota to provide dealers with instructions and permission r/t installing cruise controll

Looking forward to participation in the group.

John
    Glad to have you in the group. I am a real fan of these cars and look forward to your input.
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Let's just say I work for a domestic auto manufacturer. Let's also say I work in R&D on a hybrid electric vehicle project.

Guess what we bought from the toyota dealer the other day. ding- a Prius Battery Pack!!!

I must say that we were all quite impressed with the packaging and compactness of the unit. Panasonic NiMh...mmm mmm good. We have them in test as we speak.
    Very interesting. You bought one from a local dealer? I would think an automotive manufacturer would have a bit better access than that. Oh, unless you were looking to copy the technology I guess :) I look forward to hearing what you find.
  • swaltzswaltz Member Posts: 1
    I had decided not to consider the Prius because of the 5 month wait, but was at another car lot nearby and saw the TRAC vehicle by itself on the lot. The rest of the inventory was at the fairgrounds for a tent sale. The cashier called the dealer and they let me drive the car out to talk to the sales manager. He let me take a detour on I10 to check it out at higher speeds. The acceleration above 70 was a little slow, but not a problem. In 30 mph zones, it was hard to stay under 45. Two things surprised me based on what others report. Some of the roads are not in the best condition and I felt all of the unevenness even after slowing to legal speeds. I drive a 90 Acura Integra and it rides smoother over the same roads. The temperature was in the 80s, so the AC was on (not max) with the fan set to auto. On the return trip, mostly I10, there was a noticeable but not totally unpleasant odor to the cool air from the vents.

The Prius is intriguing, but safety is a concern for me. In addition to the Japanese crash tests, side air bags are a consideration. The Prius web site doesn't show them as either standard or optional, but April 2001 Consumer Reports shows Standard/Front. I don't think the TRAC vehicle had them.

The TRAM vehicle was dark green and the salesman said they were selling it for MSRP. It's at Team Toyota (Tallahassee Florida).
  • mrgreenjeansmrgreenjeans Member Posts: 28
    Hello fellow Prius People. I understand that cruise control will be available for the 2002 cars. I also understand that it will be equipped with GPS. I do not know if that will be standard or optional equipment. I was told that Toyota is hesitant to put cruise control in American cars and is only testing it out in Canada to see how well it does. Their fear, as I understand it, is that cruise control will take away from its fuel economy. This car was designed in a very specific way. I fear that if we "WANT WHAT WE WANT", then we're going to end up with gas-only engines. I am certainly willing to sacrafice cruise control, a sunroof, etc..for a car that makes sense. The more I drive my Prius, the more I marvel at its technologic advances. It senses small things that my other car could never sense. As for the person who is concerned with "feeling every bump", nobody knows that better than us cold climate people. We have more potholes on our freeways than the moon has craters. Yes, you do feel them! But, again, it's a sacrafice one puts up with for having the low rolling resistance tires. These are designed to help achieve the Prius' gas mileage. A small change in the tires you use will result in significant changes in your gas mileage. I guess what I'm saying is let's give this car a chance before we decide we want to change everything around. Like us, it's perfect by design. :) KEEP IT GREEN! :)
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I had a ride in a friends Prius today. Quite a nice car. It didn't have the zoom zoom of my Protege es, but the 48 mpg she reports in city driving is quite impressive. If I needed to buy a sedan today, my conscience would make any other choice difficult [but I sure would miss shifting.]
  • pweeks1pweeks1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I'm onboard as a future Prius purchaser. My partner and I put our deposit down two days ago, estimated delivery July/August. I'm hoping it's in time for a road trip to Arizona in July, but whatever. I'm feeling really good about the car. Not perfect, but practical. Good enough.

I thought the person's idea awhile back about electrical outlets for a hybrid SUV was a good one, voltage wise, that's what transformers are for, you can have any output you want.

I think it would be cool if the Prius came with a rechargeable flashlight that stayed in the car and charged. You know, with the Prius label - seems in keeping with the car and fun and practical.

I'd like to see a commercial with a roadway full of Priuses waiting at a stoplight. All you can hear is the birds because there's no motor noise. The sky is blue 'cause there's no exhaust while they sit there.

Anyway, this whole Town Hall was helpful in the purchase decision. I didn't see anything here that scared me off, and reading other people's experience of things I was curious about soothed me. So thanks.

Is it true that the owner's manual arrives a couple of weeks before the car? That would be cool. What is the "N" position for? When would a normal user ever use it? I was thinking maybe if the car had to be towed?

Paul
  • paul34bpaul34b Member Posts: 33
    Just wondering if any Prius owners hear a very high pitch sound coming from, I think, the motor during acceleration and braking. One has to pay attention as it is in the background. At least in my car. Everyone I have given a ride to does not hear it but now that I hear it, it is annoying. Maybe it is just part of the system. If anyone knows what I am talking about please respond. Thanks
    Probably the electric motor.
  • cgangelcgangel Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Prius a couple of weeks ago (a TRAC vehicle).

I can't believe I did it, but I backed into an electrical box! I was going 6 mph. The very corner of the passenger side of the rear bumper was dented in and part of the tail light was broken. I didn't think the damage was too bad. I checked the lamps and they were complete, but right rear turn signal didn't work.

The next day I went to start the car and all the engine lights were on and the monitor showed the (c) picture of the car. The dealership says I need to get the damage taken care of before they can check out the system. I was not planning on getting the insurance company involved, but now it seems I have no choice. I will have to have it towed just to get estimates.

I am wondering how such a small impact could mess up the hybrid system. Any ideas?
    Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm not sure why the dealership would need the body repaired before examining the hybrid system. I wish I could be of more help on this one.

I will tell you that you should get your insurance company involved now though. Parts for this car are extremely expensive and some day, you're going to have to fix it. You might as well get it over with now while you can still file a claim.
  • cgangelcgangel Member Posts: 2
    I did contact my insurance company Friday. They will get back to me on Monday.

In the meantime, do you know where I can get a second opinion on whether to have the hybrid system checked first or have the body work done first? I don't want the body shop messing up the hybrid system accidentally.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome of this ordeal.
    Were I you, I'd take the car to your dealership and let them coordinate with their preferred body shop. We often get cars that have been in accidents (not a Prius yet). We check them in through our service department and do whatever we need to do first, then send it down the road to a shop that does all our work. This ensures that you get genuine Toyota equipment and the work will be done in the correct order for your situation.
  • masshockeymasshockey Member Posts: 11
    I am considering buying a Prius for daughter in college (an environmental studies major). She is excited by the prospects of driving this car and many of my questions have been answered in this forum. The car would be in Vermont and not driven frequently during the school year. Would this be a problem? If she drove it once a week would that be sufficient? Does anyone have any info on how you might get in line for the 2002? At this point we won't get a car until August and I might wait for the 2002 with the prospects of cruise control.
    I think the Prius is really meant to be driven more than once a week on a long-term basis.The Prius certainly runs in cold climates but doesn't get its best mpg there. Cruise control retrofit kits for the 2001 model will arrive in May.I believe also 2001 orders will be finished with April production but no word when 2002 gear up in production actually starts. See the yahoo.com prius groups for more details.
    The manual has tips for cars that will be stored for 3 or more weeks at a time. I'm sure it would be fine being driven once a week.

As to the 2002, I was told by my distribution office that orders will be taken in "about 2 months". This is the answer I got last week, so look for something in mid to late May. I'll post here if I hear more on that.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    I pop in here from time to time, and monitor the yahoo newsgroups Prius list as well. Have some very happy clients here!

I knwo the whereabouts of an aqua ice Prius in Southern Calif near the water, with CD and mats. I can't post here with any other info due to the terms of service, I think they'd have to shoot me or something but if anyone is out there who doesn't want to have to wait 3-4 months for their Prius, email me and I can tell you where to find the car.

Di
    dianne@dianne.net
    Here in CA, the orders for 2002 will be acceptable in May, and the new "extras" that will be available to the best of my knowledge are side airbags, cruise, and the 6-disc in dash change (ala Corolla). No new colors confirmed but we all are awaiting the new blues anyway.

Di
    I just discovered something odd with these Prius sales. Here in the Central Atlantic Region, if a customer backs out of a Prius order, the car must be returned to Toyota. We can't sell the car to anybody but the person who ordered it.

It turn out that this is not a nationwide policy. In Southern CA, if the customer backs out after the car reaches the dealership, they can sell it to anybody. If I sold cars there, I'd push through a bunch of dummy orders to get some of these on my lot.

The moral to this story is, if you live in Southern California, you may be able to trip across one without waiting. In fact, I think Dianne at Carson Toyota has one right now.
    Just a tip to check out e-groups on the Prius as there are several ways to put cruise on the Prius including a dealer kit in May or do it yourself is not hard [all Toyota parts], or an electronic link type. Makes the vehicle MUCH nicer for distance driving and is almost as good as careful control of speed with your foot.
    Don
    No, I don't have one available. Might I add a little "something" to your findings? We really cannot just "sell to anybody". We are obligated (and morally obligated too) to call the next folks waiting on our lists and offer the car to everyone. And, true to form, folks want their cars "right now" then they make the decision to order one in the first place, so a car that's defaulted to the dealership is often spoken for anyway.

Dianne
  • garrett1967garrett1967 Member Posts: 1
    I have read many user reviews and and driving tests and am impressed by what I have read so far.
    I am possibly moving with my girlfriend and my commute to work would be about 80 miles each way.
    How does this car handle at 75mph, if it will go that fast and how is it in snow, 0 degree days, etc.

Thanks to all that reply.
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    wonderful. My friend has one, and I've ridden with him to work several times. The car is uncannily quiet, handles decent, gets 52 mpg for him, and should be a breeze in the snow.
  • mrgreenjeansmrgreenjeans Member Posts: 28
    Hi Prius People! As to inquiry about how the Prius handles winter conditions, I have some information for you. I live in New England; Connecticut to be exact. We have had one heck of a winter and without hesitation, I can endorse this car as capable of handling the most wild of weather phenomena. When the going got tough, this car got tougher. True to form, it is front wheel drive and can handle most snowy weather conditions. Icy conditions, on the other hand, is best left to Mother Nature. The power is there to move through snow with ease. On several occasions this past winter, I was able to drive through 20 or more inches of snow without slipping once. This surprised me. Like yourself, I was very anxious about this car's ability to handle uncertain road conditions. Now I am not. As for driving 75 mph, this car can easily do that as well. P.S. I am happy to report that I am getting about 45 miles/gallon. You see, as the air warms this car gets increasingly better mileage. If you're in a cold climate you can expect a sharp decrease in mileage. I averaged about 35-38 miles/gallon over this winter. Still, that isn't bad. That's better than most conventional cars, and I was happy with that. I think, however, since you are going such a great distance to and from work, the engine will be quite warmed, thus allowing for better mileage. I hope I was of some help to you. Take care! KEEP IT GREEN! :)
  • rchowningrchowning Member Posts: 1
    I live in the country but work in the city. I drive just under 100 miles round trip, 5 days a week. Is anyone out there putting those kind of miles on a Prius? If so how is it holding up?
    And are you satisfied with it?

Right now I am driving a 94 Camry with 244000+ miles on it. I was thinking my next move may be toward a Prius.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I saw someone make a statement that they thought GPS might be available for 2002.

Does anyone know if this is a fact for 2002 US models?
    That would make it the lowest priced car in America with a GPS Navigation system.
    Someone posted a question months ago asking how effective the air conditioner was. I didn't see anyone reply. Can it keep you cool in very hot summer tmperatures?

The other concern is resale. I don't think may people would want to be the second owner of the Prius when the battery replacement was nearing. That may hurt resale value. (unless gas is $3 per gallon at the time)
    Has anyone priced extended warranties on the Prius? It may help you sell the vehicle even if you never needed to use it yourself.
    Anyone lease one? What type of lease deals are available?
  • sfchewsfchew Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how long the batteries are suppose to last and how much they will cost to replace? I think this will be one of the major cost of ownership in this kind of car.
    The factory batteries have a warranty of 8 years or 100K miles and this warranty is NOT prorated. This is a good thing because at current levels, the whole battery pack costs $4000. This price will come down as more are built.
    To get the best mileage out of your Prius, you must inflate the tires to the proper pressure. Underinflation increases rolling resistance and decreases mileage.

Our Prius was delivered with underinflated tires at 30 PSI in each tire. The proper pressure is 35 PSI in the front tires and 33 PSI in the back tires.

Even with the underinflation, we were able to get 51 mpg on one tank of gasoline. Not bad.
  • georgeh131georgeh131 Member Posts: 3
    Any ideas on the best solution for a bicycle rack on a Prius?
    We've been driving ours for the past week and love it. But the dealer has no recommendation, and prius.com responded "install per manufacturer's recommendation" -- lots of help there!
    Ideally, I'd like to install a hitch receiver, but I know Toyota frowns on anything that resembles towing.

Thanks,

George
  • guzguz Member Posts: 7
    I am new to this board, but not new to Edmunds Town Hall. I am considering the Prius for my daughter. The car sounds great, but I am concerned with the HOT Florida weather. It's my understanding that if the AC is on, the best the Prius will do is 39 MPG. Does anyone have experience with the Prius in Florida or other hot climates?
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    recently rented a prius (second time in 6 months), in winter driving, handled snow well here in snow belt county. ave 45 mpg with heater to keep warm.. rented last week and ave with city only driving 58 mpg, and some airconditioning. will buy a 2002 if I can figure out how to do fold down rear seats.
  • gadgetdocgadgetdoc Member Posts: 1
    I am strongly considering the Prius but I am somewhat concerned about the recent crash test results posted by the national highway transportation safety association giving only three stars for the driver. I was hoping for at least four stars. Does anyone have any comments regarding this?
    Consumer Reports rates the VW Passat very highly for safety. The NHTSB gives the Passat great marks for a compact car.

However, if you look at the Prius crash test results and the Passat crash results, it is clear what makes the difference. The Passat is equipped and tested with side air bags and side head air bags--the Prius is not.

If you look at the forces exerted on the femur, the Passat fares much worse than the Prius does. In the Passat, one of the passenger's femurs takes over 1,000 pounds of force in the impact!

I would venture to guess that if the Prius were equipped with these additional two sets of air bags, its score would surpass that of the Passat. (The driver's head stresses pull down the score for the Prius.)

Side air bags will be available on the 2002 Prius. There is no word about side head air bags. We can only hope that Toyota wises up and makes these additional bags available sooner.
    Passat is much larger than a Prius. Isn't it a mid-size?
    Do you mean Jetta?
  • riz4riz4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I'm new to this town hall and have been enjoying the posted messages. I am considering purchasing a hybrid vehicle but have my sights set on a 2003 Ford Escape. I currently drive a pickup and enjoy the extra space for many of the things I haul. Does anyone have any information on the Escape hybrid? My current lease is up at the end of this month and I can't decide if I should lease a Prius until the Escape is available. I understand that the 2002 Prius will have cruise and side air bags, but what about a fold down rear seat? That would be very helpful. Also, I've been told that there is only one lease program for Prius and it is for 4 yrs. Is this correct?
  • riz4riz4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the web site--I've checked it out previously and was hoping for more info.
  • reticent1reticent1 Member Posts: 70
    Word has it that there is a hybrid minivan on the drawing board for Toyota for 2003-2004. Looks like a cross between the old Previa and the new Sienna. Somewhat shorter, but it's hard to tell from the artist's renditions.

-Ret
  • reticent1reticent1 Member Posts: 70
    Since gas has hit 2 bones a gallon these days, Prius orders on the internet have increased 60% on the west coast. The bulk of the increased ratio orders are in California.

-Ret
This discussion has been closed.