Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ohvanohvan Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2003 T&C EX with 19,000 miles. Just recently started to experience the hard downshift. It usually occurs when coming to a stop after travelling at about 25+mph. Judging from some of the posts in the "Chrysler transmission problem" discussion area it may be an "unsolvable" problem. We also have a two to four second delay when shifting into reverse from a cold start. This has been the case since the van was new. Any thoughts on possible solutions would be appreciated. Otherwise, anyone want to buy a 2003 T&C EX w/ leather, 19,000 miles for fair price? I don't have time for multiple trips to a dealership only to hear the" we can't duplicate the condition
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    I have a 1996 Caravan with the 3.3 liter engine. I have an intermittent stalling problem. The vehicle has stalled 3 times since April, once on an interstate. Anyone experience this. I've had the vehicle checked out by a Chrysler dealership and they are stumped.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Those symptoms are similar to the ones I had with My Intrepid. Ask that dealer to check the input and output sensors in the transmission. If they won't seek another dealer.
  • ohvanohvan Member Posts: 26
    Thnaks for the tip. I'm taking it into the shop in about a week. I'll request that they look at the i/o sensors.
  • kingstoniankingstonian Member Posts: 3
    Hello:

Regarding your message #744 from 08/01, did you ever find/fix the problem? I have a 99 GC with basically the same electrical instrument panel problem. It usually happens after 1hr of constant driving. First the P-R-N-D-L indicators all light together. Then the Odometer blinks and goes off. Then the fuel gauge and the hot/cold gauge start moving like wipers, and then die. Finally the tach and speedo move in unison like wipers until they die. Sometimes hitting a pot hole will bring them back to life .. but not often. Stopping and restarting does no good. Only letting the van sit overnight "cures" it.

Problem began at 18K miles. The dealer took the dash apart and replaced everything but the proverbial kitchen sink. Didn't help. When I went back they "threw up their hands". Went to a pvt garage and they took the dash apart and inspected/tightened grounds, etc. Fix lasted for two years. Then it started again. Back to the garage. Same fix ... lasted one year. Then back to the garage ... fix lasted one day.

I really like driving this van, but I'm getting discouraged. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Did you check the fuses?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Unfortunately, there are a number of things that could cause this. My first suspect would be a bad connection on one of the bus circuits on the back of the instrument cluster printed circuit board. A poor ground could cause this, of course, but there are a number of characteristics of your symptom set that indicate the cluster is going into self-test.

Have you tried checking and reseating the electrical connectors at the Power Control Module (PCM)?

Regards,
    Dusty
    Hello:

Thank you for your reply. I will ask my mechanic if he has indeed checked the connectors.

I appreciate your help.
  • billmbillm Member Posts: 3
    Limp in on 99 Voyager
    Unfortunately, either the input or the output speed sensor on the transaxle is failing, and the replacement parts are not as reliable as the originals. Since the failure is intermittant, the power module will not record a trouble code;
    only a dealership with a Chrysler DRBII or better can read the fault history in the tranmission controll module to verify which speed sensor is getting goofy. But the sensors are @ $20.00 each & it's probably worth it to just swap two new ones in( they just screw in, but you may loose some fluid if you try this at home, etc.....)
    Almost definitely a ground issue. when all logic fails, improvise.....find the main ground on the
    printed circuit board and make a new ground wire.

Attach it to any bolt on the firewall or better yet link it to the ground wire on the back of the radio if the radio has always worked ok.

good luck.
    Since the input sensors are completely different, the problem has to be in the dash; either power or ground. I didn't see your original
    message so I'm not sure which car or van you have,,,,some have a seperate module on the printed circuit board which only controls the tach and speedometer. It could simply be failing or loose.....a bad ground or power source would affect all gauges and or lights at the same time,,,,,,,,,,bill m

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Who was that masked mechanic?

Welcome to Town Hall Bill! It's nice to have an experienced parts/service manager participating.

Steve, Host
    Hello:

Thank you for your reply. My original message is #2313.

The tach and speedo do not go on/off together. There is always a progression. The shift indicator glows ... then the odometer goes black (even though it still records mileage). Then the temp and fuel gauges fail at the same time. Then the speedo fails. Finally the tach fails.

The sequence of events never varies. Hitting a bump sometimes restores the panel ... but not all the time. Restarting never helps.

PS: Van is a 99 GCaravan with 3.3L engine.
  • gino45gino45 Member Posts: 52
    I had the sway bar links replaced on my 2001 caravan on July 3/03. On April 24/04 I noticed a noise when turning my steering wheel. I decided to have a dealer look at this upon my next scheduled maintenance date. I took the van in for servicing on July 23rd and was told that the sway links had to be replaced. I was charged $50 for diagnostic time and 1.5hrs for time spent fixing the problem. Chrysler offers a 1 year warranty on their parts but will not cover my repair since it was completed 20 days after the warranty expired. My beef is that the part started going bad in April- well before the 1 year deadline. Chrysler states that I had to have the part repaired within 1year for the warranty to apply. The part only lasted 15,000 KM! Do I have any recourse? Has anyone had similar problems with their sway bar links? I believe that the part that was used for the original repair was defective to start off with since it only lasted 15K KM. Is it standard procedure for someone to be charged with a diagnostic fee for this sort of repair? The original repair took 1.2hrs and the latest one took 45min, but I was billed for 1.5hrs. The mechanic said that an apprentice had helped him which is why he only took 45min to complete the repair. I believe that I was overcharged. Should I complain and ask for a partial refund?
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    If you didn't take the vehicle in for service of the defective part while within warranty, then you have no recourse. Yes, you do have to pay a diagnostic fee. No, 1.5 hours labor is not unreasonable. The dealer acted well within the rules of Chrysler's warranty.

If the sway bar links continue to fail, then you may have another problem in the front end that is causing the failure. I'm not that familiar with Chrsyler front ends, maybe DustyK can offer some suggestions.
    Gino,

I have to agree with WIJOCO as to labor, cost and warranty status. It sounds like you may have gotten back to the dealer a little too late.

My company has about 3300 Dodge Caravans and I'm not familiar with sway-bar links being a common failure on them. I'm sure we've had some not go the distance.

By the way, my wife's Avalon just loves sway bar links. And they're $109 a piece, too. Three sets since the car was new in '99, and only Toyota makes them!

Bests,
    Dusty
  • jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    I tried to replace the spark plugs on the on the firewall side of the 3.3L V-6 engine on my 98 Ply - Gr Voyager SE this weekend. I got the van on a set of ramps. I was able to access the rear 2 plugs on that bank but the first one toward the front of the engine gave me a big problem ..... the exhaust manifole and engine pie were obstructing. I was able to remove the spark plug wire boot and get a socket onto the spark plug but, ..... I was unable to get a handle on the socket. The firewall was a problem because of the angle of the socket/spark plug. Any additional tips, please.

2250 of 2325 Spark Plug Replacement on `98 Gr. Voyager 3.3L/ by jft26 May 13, 2004 (1:14 pm)

Bookmark | Reply
    I currently have 104K miles on my minivan. I would like to replace the Platinum Spark Plugs. Is there a trick to getting at the spark plugs on the side of the engine hugging the firewall? Thanks
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    .... remove the serpentine belt and then tilt the alternator all the way back. Then the plug is easily accessible from the top.

Please let me know how everything goes.

Tip: When putting everything back, check the automatic tensioner as well and replace if necessary.
    Thanks. How many bolts are on the alternator? Is the tilt toward the firewall? Will the alternator bracket be in the way?
    ..bolts holding the alternator. You will need to loosen the lower one, and take out the upper one. The alternator will then tilt towards the firewall (note that the serpentine belt is assumed to be off already). The bracket does not get in the way, but can be removed easily if you want.

Good Luck.
    Thank you. I hope to be able to try it this weekend ...... weather and time permitting. :o)
  • ken1967ken1967 Member Posts: 6
    When the tank gets to almost half, the low fuel light and chime goes on, has anyone experienced this and any solutions would be appreciative.
    Your instructions worked! I was able to get the #1 plug. Thank you once again. :o)'
  • gophermgopherm Member Posts: 4
    We own a 2000 Dogde GC Sport. Now have over 67,000 miles and has been a pleasure to drive. As with almost any vehicle there have been a few minor problems, but the pleasure and comfort of the ride offset those problems. Every other vehicle I have owned has had similar or worse problems. We have had no electrical or transmission problems and usually get between 24-26 MPG on the highway. Sometimes I wish there was a little more top end in the passing gear since we live in a rural area and have to navigate Amish country and pass trucks and other farm vehicles on the winding two lane country roads.

I have read other bulletin boards on other vans and it seems that Toyota and Honda have similar track records to the vans produced by DC...and Ford seems by far the worst to own. They seem to have a high failure rate of transmissions and steering systems as well as the electrical systems associated with the auto door locks. I know several people that own Ford vans and other vehicles whose doors lock themselves or continue to cycle until the battery is dead.

I wish that some of the Dodge service technicians and managers were a little brighter, but on the whole, my experience with this vehicle has been one of excellence considering the ride comfort, dependability and overall handling. Two other people where I work (ironacilly) own nearly identical 2000 white GC Sport vans. Mine is the low milage vehicle of the lot. They each have over 100K on theirs and report no problems and similar admiration of the vehicles.
  • bull1bull1 Member Posts: 1
    i now have 29500 miles on my 2003 dodge grand caravan and have had the following problems.1. after about 5000 miles i reported to the local dealer that my vehicle was using oil at about 1qt. for 2500 miles. ans.that's normal???? my next problem was rear electric hatch solenoid had to be replaced. erractic and then didn't operate. my next problem was the transmission. the dealer replaced a pump in the transmission and electronic module. transmission would downshift with a bang. next problem was compressor for ac was very noisy when engaged. this was replaced. by the way, the local dealer in lakeland service department said there was nothing wrong with compressor noixe was normal. had to get it repaired while on vacation in n.c. local dservice dept. also said that oil consumption was normal. i have had 4 new chrysler vehicles in the last 8 years and never,never did any of them use oil between changes. i change my oil faithfully every 3000 miles. thanks for listening
    Bull, the "bang-shift" problem has been addressed by a PCM computer flash. Tell your dealer to read his service bulletins.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • joecastellijoecastelli Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Grand Caravan, with about 40,000 miles on it. When is it time for a Tune Up, I am told the plugs on this car are 'Double Platnum'

Also has anyone noticed that the Engine / Trany make a noise like an electric motor after about an hour of driving?

I had the dealer check it once and they said it was a normal sound.

Thanks
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Platinum plugs are good for 100,000 miles. Our 96 is still going strong at 78,000 miles and the original plugs with no loss of performance. I used to doubt they could go that long myself, but I am a believer. The plugs are hard to get at so appear to be not an easy do it yourself task, and likely will be expensive to replace due to accessibility problems with the back three plugs, so it is good it doesn't have to be done till 100k.

I cannot comment on your other "electric motor" sound.
  • ken1967ken1967 Member Posts: 6
    When the fuel guage reaches half, the low fuel indicator comes on. Has anyone had a similar problem?
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Anybody know how to remove black scuff marks and scratches off the rear bumper? What kind of chemical can be used that won't damage the clear coat or paint?

Thanks
  • bigjakedogbigjakedog Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with 50,000 miles on it and have had many problems from the gitgo. The electrical system never worked well. Unless you slam the drivers side back door numerous times the "Door Ajar" sign stays on and beeps while you're driving. Sometimes it will go on and beep even after you've been driving for an hour. The transmission went on the car. We also had to replace a "solonoid" twice in the last 6 months. Overall, I've not been very impressed with the car. I also own a 1996 Chevy Cavalier with 110,000 miles and have had it in the shop less times than with our caravan.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The sliding door problem is an easy fix. It's a simple adjustment of the striker bolt. Have you ever taken it to the dealer to fix?
  • kkovakkkovak Member Posts: 16
    My 99 Gr. Caravan has started to act up. My wife was driving the van for about 8 minutes on local roads when she slowed to make a left turn. The engine died. When she went to restart she got dash lights, radio, etc. but nothing out of the engine. No noise, clicking, anything. When I got there ~10 minutes later the van was on the side of the road and I got the same; lights, dash lights, radio but nothing out of the engine. Tried several times in the hour waiting for AAA and got the same each time. AAA put a jump on the battery and it started. Drove to the local mechanic I use and on the way for one moment, the engine felt like it wanted to stall and simultaneously the speedometer and tech revved way up but the engine did not. THen it was fine. AA and mechanic thought it was battery short. CHanged battery and still happened. THen mechanic thought it was ignition switch which he changed (put 1st battery back) and seemed OK. I picked up the van and drove for ~ 10 minutes. Parked at wor for ~ 2 hours then left. After driving about 2 minutes it died as I approached intersection to make a left turn. It restarted and died twice within 30 seconds. While waiting for AAA, 10 min., I got it started and made the turn the speedometer/tach thing happened again and then fine. Drove it back to mechanic. He said he can't find anything wrong but cannot access the engine computer. He can get into the body computer fine but not the engine one. It's at the dealer now. ANyone ahve any ideas?
    Try a Discussion Search in here for stall - there's some posts that may help, like this one:

dustyk Oct 11, 2003 9:31pm

Steve, Host
  • bradharmerbradharmer Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a 2000 Grand Caravan SE. It has 15 inch rims like the following:

http://www.wheels-and-rims.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/car-wheel.html?p_- prodid=11516&sid=8LpJDk0-y7txCLQ-00104543616.98

I want to put on the 17 inch rims that come on the 2000 ES, like the following:

http://www.wheels-and-rims.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/car-wheel.html?p_- prodid=11520&sid=8LpJDk0-y7txCLQ-00104543616.98

Will I run into any problems? Does the ES have a more sporty suspension to handle 17 inch rims or does it matter?

Thanks!

BRAD
  • kkovakkkovak Member Posts: 16
    Turns out this was a dying / dead engine computer module. Covered under Fed. Emmissions Warranty. Cost me nothing (except aggravation).
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    http://www.ptcruizer.com/computer-codes.html. While this says PT Cruiser, it applies to all Chryslers with OBDII. My 2001 Caravan set 2 codes yesterday, one being P0445 which is called a large leak in the evaporative recovery system(probably a problem with the gas cap) and the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 starts(????).
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    A torn diaphram on the evap. purge pump is the most likely cause, don't worry about the the other code (batt. discon.)
    I lucked out because after a couple of days, the codes reset themselves and haven't come back. This is my wife's van and it's possible she didn't get the cap on tight.
    Unless you pick 17" tires with the same diameter as the originals, your speedometer and odometer won't be correct which may also affect shift points. On many cars, this can be corrected for with a different speedometer gear in the transmission but this may not be the case here.
    The most likely cause of a P0445 is the gas cap, either not being tight enough, defective, or loosened or off while the engine was running.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • currtailcurrtail Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading about all of the transmission problems that have been happening with Caravans and it is disturbing since I have a 2000 Grand Caravan with 110,000 miles (I bought it new and, yes, the mileage is accurate!!). The only problem that I have had with my AC is with the fuel injectors. I had two replaced under warranty within the first 18 months. I had a third replaced in August. Have bad fuel injectors been a problem with anyone else or did I just get a "Friday afternoon engine"?
    Currtail,

For the 2000 model year air conditioning condenser, evaporators, and pumps were often troublesome. I don't know what the failure rate was, but 30% is not far off.

Power window regulators and switches were also a problem.

In the above cases later replacement parts were of much better quality, so repeats should be greatly reduced. As far as fuel injectors, I've not seen any that produced a problem.

With respect to automatic transmissions, I think there's more myth to the belief that the problem was as big as some make it out to be. After '98, the "T" series automatics got many revisions and upgrades to address any weaknesses. And many Chrysler transmissions have had problems or failed because of the incorrect ATF being used.

There are many Chrysler mini-vans on the road with mileage like yours that have never had a problem with the transmission. The girl scout leader that just dropped off my daughter a few hours ago has over 160,000 miles on their '99 and have never touched the transmission.

There have been some minor mechanical things as well as computer shift programing changes to address very minor issues in '98-01s (the "bump shift" complaint is one of them). But these are very easy to identify and correct.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • jjtjjjtj Member Posts: 80
    I recently purchased a 2003 GC Sport with the 3.3L engine and 37K miles. I like the van, except it appears to have an annoying hesitation that is noticeable mainly when the engine just kicks into top gear, (~45 mph), and especially with a little bit of load on the engine. It's sort of a lugging and causes a vibration like the engine is missing very slightly. I'm thinking of replacing the fuel filter but I believe it's located on top of the fuel tank? Not sure how involved that job is. Or, if that would even solve the problem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated - Thanks, Jason
  • currtailcurrtail Member Posts: 2
    Dusty,
    Thanks so much for your comments. I have been meticulous with the maintenance on this car because I plan to drive it for a few more years. I've even considered replacing it with another Caravan in a few years (my husband wants me to get a Honda Element). I breed and show CFA registered Manx cats and my Caravan has all of the room that I need for carrying cats, food, litter, etc. I buy my supplies once a month because the closest place to get them is 2 hours away. I can carry 200 pounds of litter, 60 pounds of food, and whatever else I need over some pretty steep mountains without a bit of trouble. We took my husband's PT Cruiser to the last show and I swore I'd never do that again! One of the cats got carsick and I just didn't have enough room to clean her up. What a mess!!
    Roslyn
  • jaskiejaskie Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you. I have owned a 95 Dodge Caravan and needed to replace the Transmission, the 98 Voyager we sold at 60,000 because I needed a 4 wheel drive. I then bought my current one, a 2000 Town and Country. Transmission is fine, but have replaced the motors on both of the front windows and back windows. Also have a troublesome computer issue with the inside temp gauge, only worked in the winter. We currently have 105,000 miles on it, and everything else runs fine. I plan on keeping it until it dies, mainly for the hauling capability. I am not a soccer parent, but still haul kids all over!

Jaskie
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The owner's manual of my 2002 T&C LX has NO recommended transmission service.
          Dusty has written many times that use of the wrong fluid is the cause of transmission failure. Additives to the wrong fluid will NOT change it into a synthetic fluid.
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    I've heard in the news yesterday that DC is doing a recall on 98-00 minivans regarding airbags safety. Does anyone know of the specifics of this recall?
    Sounds like the clockspring issue bit them again:

Faulty air bags prompt Chrysler minivan recall (Houston Chronicle)

Steve, Host