Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    The 2002 Q45 has standard seat mounted side impact and standard side curtain airbags, along with sensors in the passanger seat. Both front seats offer full power lumbar support with two position memory for the driver seat, steering wheel, and mirrors.

Oh and next week the dealership I work for flies me down to Texas moter speedway to do hot laps in the Q45 along with side by side comparisons to the Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, and Jag.
  • bigbrother1bigbrother1 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchases a 1994 Q45. With all of the discussion on reliability I would like to know if anyone knows where I can purchase a shop manual for the car.

Thanks
    Greg

Are they really as troublesome as this town hall makes them out to be?
  • warnerfwarnerf Member Posts: 19
    My local dealership had a new demo Q they were letting people test drive. I had to wait around 10 minutes until the guy before me got done. Here are my initial impressions:

Exterior

Bottom Line: This is not a pretty car. The pictures on the Infiniti website are, in my opinion, artist enhancements. The actual car has a shorter, more lopped off front end as well as the same for the back end. The website pictures make the car look lower and more sleek than it actually is. I think most people will have a hard time getting past the car's looks and this will undoubtedly hurt sales.

Interior

Again, it looks cool on the website but when you actually sit in the car, the dash/console design appear to intrude into the driver area, rendering it not as classy as the previous design. This might just be a perception on my part but the interior felt strikingly similar to the Lexus GS300. The leather, however, was top grade.

The Ride

No surprise here that the car had plenty of power and the ride was extremely smooth and quiet. I pressed it hard through several 90 degree left and right turns and while there was noticeable body roll, the tires did not break. This was the standard model equipped with Bridgestone Turanzas. It was definitiely more fun to drive than the Lexus LS430. I'd like to see how the performance package handles.
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    I think that when designing the new Q, Infiniti looked to the original Q, and not the current one. The front end on the new Q looks like an updated version of the original, and same goes with the back. I thought the original Q was a nice looking car. The new one is another story. It is more daring than the LS, but it looks disjointed in design. I think the lights are a neat innovation, but I think they should've taken a page from the current Q's design and gone for understated. Oh well, we'll see what the critics say~ A.R.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I saw the Q45 at the San Diego Auto Show but since it was on an elevated revolving display you could not look inside. I thought the front grill looked like any generic Japanese econobox and my opinion was shared by other observers. The revolving display was best viewed from the BMW display where they had a Z8 on display. Although I'm in the market for a luxo cruiser I don't think I could get past the looks to enjoy the perfomance.
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    It's too bad Infiniti couldn't nail it in the styling dept., because it sounds like it is going to be one hell of a performer. Aren't they quoting 0-60 times of 6.5 seconds? And the interior seems to be on par with the best in the class. And it sounds like the handling will be pretty good- beating out Lexus for sure and probably on par with the S-Class. It's too bad~ A.R.
    The original Q had no grill at all just a belt buckle in the center of the hood. The new Q has a mouth that could swallow an LS430 whole and the performance to match. Besides I think the ugliness prize in this catagory has already been awarded to the LS430 which resembles the deformed child of an s-class Merc crossed with a Toyota Avalon.

If nothing else Infiniti drew some of its styling from the S-class and some from its own imagination. The car looks even better in person than on the web site. Although I must admit. People who loved the look of the '97-'01 Q's may not like this one. The idea of this car is the same as the original Q. Which is to present something interesting in a class dominated by conservative design.
  • raprorapro Member Posts: 30
    I am thinking about buying a 94 Q45, but I am little worried about maintenance costs. I've seen your posts saying that on average the cost of maintenance is $ 3000-4000 a year. Can you break down the number, what is maintenance (like oil change) out of that and what is repair? Is this a dealer maintenance figure? Even taking into account that one would have to replace two major parts a year (fuel pump, shocks) plus regular maintenance I can't see it reaching 3G's using my local mechanic to do the work rather than the dealer. I am not so much questioning your numbers as trying to understand what they include, thanks.
  • matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    Rapro
    Don't listen to the post about the high maintenance costs...Yes, repairs can be high if something major like a trans or shocks need replacing, but if you use an independent garage it will be a lot less then the dealership.

I am on my 2nd Q45 and besides the routine oil changes at $39.00 a pop at the dealership, and the 60,000 mile service check...it still dosen't add up to $4,000. This is why I bought the a foreign car. Repairs are less frequent and cost less then a Mercedes or BMW.
    I am even considering selling me 94Q and purchase my third Q45 (2001 because of the great dealer incentive they are currently offering.

Hope this helps,
    Matt
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I was at the dealer last week when the first new Q arrived. I saw it up close and sat inside. I wanted to love it, but my reactions are mixed. The exterior is simply not very exciting. From some angles it looks better than others. The rear end looks clean, but the grill looks too large. I had this same impression when I saw it at the Auto Show earlier in the year. The interior is nice, and spacious. The high bulging dash profile is unique, and seems functional. The navigation system is prominent in the middle of the dash, and I wonder what the base car without navigation will look like. This car had the Sport option package. The grey smoked wood, which is part of the "sport package", is not very attractive to my eye. I am hoping that they eventually make the other wood trims available with the sport package. I was happy that they tried to hold the price. This car, with navigation and sport package, was stickered at just over $55,000. Unfortunately, I expect that the car will struggle in sales because of it's looks. Even with the high performance, it will be hard for Infiniti to lure new buyers, such as former BMW or C class Mercedes owners over to the Q45. I hate to say this, but the Q45 will probably remain a low volume car in the luxury class, even though it may outperform most of the competition this time. I think that only previous Infiniti fans, like myself will consider the new car. I hate to be negative, but I think I will wait for the dealer incentives before I get mine.
    I asked one of my local dealers when he thought the incentives would start on the new Q and his response was "When the new model comes out". Yeah, sure. My guess is that all the suckers who pay sticker for this car should be flushed out within 4-5 months and then it will be discount heaven. Wait long enough and you just might get some free golf clubs or a Hawaiian vacation. This is no joke. In mid '99 they were giving a $2500 set of Callaways with every new Q purchase.
  • alexalee1alexalee1 Member Posts: 35
    Impression:

1. Throttle response is not as responsive as '98 Lexus LS 400. The 2001 I30 rental car I drove felt more responsive. I had expected it to snap off line. But, I think I can live with this 'problem' (better for smoothness).

2. Door slam with typical Nissan car door sound. I expected it to sound more like Mercedes or Audi or even Volkswagen's doors when shut. The doors feels light too.

3. Love the rear styling. Very Audi A6 like. Car looks smaller than the size suggests. Hate the front.

4. love the rear view camera when reversing. Love the interior. I think it's designed more for 4 people than 5 people.

Verdict so far: Will wait 2 year for it to be face lifted the front style, or buy the 2002 model used then if the used price drops significantly.

I will evaluate more when I have a chance to test drive it longer.
  • jimk17jimk17 Member Posts: 1
    Just sold my 91 ls400 and I am impressed with the value or the 97 Q45. Dealer in mid west has 6 off lease @ 30,000 miles listed at $25,000.00.
    With drop in 2000/2001 to $40K, what is a realistic price to pay for a 97 with approx. 30K. Thanks in advance. Any comments about buying this car on-line would also be appreciated.
    The new Q is stunning in black. Looks even better in reality then it did when I first saw the pictures. You may have to hold your breath for a while waiting for big discouts on the new Q. With neither the new I30 or the new QX4 has Infiniti offered the old $3000 rebates so I don't expect them too on the new car either.

Faster than a banshee. Funny thing is the car is so quiet you don't realize how fast it is. Much stronger low end response than anything in its class. Acceleration is smooth as silk. If you want the sport features without the smoke wood buy the Premium Pkg.
    It seems strange to have to order the premium package to get the standard wood trim.... that will probably put the car up in the $60,000 range. The question is whether the Sport package upgrades are really significant or noticeable from a performance perspective.
  • jochijochi Member Posts: 18
    All of the sport package features are included in the premium package except for the graphite wood (New LS430 also has smoked wood), and depending on the colour you choose, it comes standard with light bird's eye maple or natural coloured maple. From a performance standpoint, the adjustable suspension can tailor to your driving needs, and from what I've read, the lower profile 18" tires will not impede ride quality. Moreover, the Q will top out under $59000, with features equal to Lexus. It's the luxo. deal of the year. Just a few things on the Q you won't find anywhere else: titanium valves, variable capacity muffler, reclining rear seats, rear view camera, voice activated controls (HVAC and nav.). Even with all the new equipment, the new Q is over 200 lbs lighter than its predecessor, and is lightest in its class, even including the V6 powered 3.5RL!
    Well, I got my own New Q test drive and I was favorably impressed. It is smooth fast and very quiet. The car feels spacious too. I am 6'3" and I felt very comfortable. I could not really throw it around corners on my test drive, but it handled well, and was quite pleasant to drive. The acceleration curve is quite a rush from about 20 m.p.h and higher! I will need to check out the tiptronic type shifting on my next drive. The looks are growing on me, but the front end still is somewhat strange looking. After my test drive I got back into my own '99 Q45t and it was quite obvious how much of am improvement the new car is over the previous incarnation! I want one.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    This week's Autoweek devoted several pages of coverage to the new Q. They had 8 cars to test, and the verdict was very positive. They especially liked the features, the interior, the ride and the handling, although they didn't seem to really push the cars. They approved of Infiniti returning the model to being "A Driver's Car".
    There were plenty of exterior photos. The interior ones were not quite as revealing. I saw the car at the DC auto show in December, and I could swear the tail looks slightly different now vs then. Interestingly, Infiniti told Autoweek that the headlight system was designed to illuminate the frontal area sufficiently so that fog lights were not necessary.
    Autoweek also seemed to be impressed with the price/content equation when comparing it to a few of it's competitors. It'll be interesting to get some objective test results of handling numbers in order to see exactly which cars it measures up to (or outclasses). They were VERY impressed with the high-speed stability of the car.
    The only nit they had with the car was the manumatic transmission shifting (should've tried it Don!). The upshifts were very slow, but the downshifts were fine. Using the transmission in automatic mode was judged fine as well.

Denny
    The manual mode shift is designed more for downshifting than upshifting, but honestly that is when it is most useful. If you want to downshift to pass without flooring the pedal.

Just to clarify my earlier post. Real wood trim is standard issue at 51,045.00 However if you want all the sport pkg. goodies without the smoke wood trim you would have to buy the premium model.
  • force98force98 Member Posts: 81
    My '99 BMW 740iL comes off lease in about 6 months, so I thought I'd check out the 2002 Q45. IMHO, the front end of the car is extremely ugly. I didn't even test drive the car as I can't get beyond the looks of the car. Scratch Infinity from my short list of possible replacements. The new 2002 BMW E65 may not be any better either.
  • jsa_sfcajsa_sfca Member Posts: 3
    force98 Mar 23, 2001 7:01pm

Well, if you think the New Q is ugly (an opinion with which I totally disagree) wait until you see the new 7 series.

John
    I made if off of the waiting list and will be test driving the new Q versus the competitors from Lexus, Jaguar, Mercedes and BMW this coming weekend. Does anybody know what models will be compared? For example, the C class Mercedes would be the 50,000 price range competitor, but the S class may be more of the target. The same holds true for the BMW.....Will it be a 5 series or a 7 series?
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I drove a premium over the weekend. It was very responsive and handled well. I liked the navigation system, rear-view camera, and voice-command for HVAC and stereo. I liked the looks of the car from most angles, although it looks a little "bulbous" from the front. There is less interior room than most of its competitors. Some of the features (cell phone & distance cruise control)are not yet available.

Back: Audi A6
    Side: Lincoln Continental
    Front: J30 on steroids
    The Q will be compared to an LS430, a 540i, a E430, and a Jag XJ8. Equipment wise the Q competes more fairly with the S class and 7 series but price wise the germans are not even close. The stability control test is the most fun part of the day. So get in line early. The car looks even better in reality than in pictures.
    I must beg to differ; the new Q at 106.9 cu. ft. of interior room offers more room inside than all of its major competitors. The MB S class comes in at 105, the E clas at 95, The BMW 7 series 100.3, the 5 series 93, and the LS 430 Lexus closest at 105.3. The only on that might be bigger is the long wheelbase bimmer, but long wheel base cars never handle as well as their short wheel base compatriots.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    The trunk space is smaller than on the S class Mercedes approx 13 cubic feet vs. approx 16 cubic feet. The Q 45 I saw this weekend had the maple (light color) wood which I didn't like. Also the front IS ugly. However the rest of the car looked good and the performance should be great. At approx.$58000 fully optioned it seems like a great value. I look forward to a test drive to confirm my impression.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    The Q45 e-mails's info I received today from Infinity lists the interior capacity as 102.1 cubic feet (not 106.9) which is smaller than the LS 430. Even comparing the interior dimensions will confirm this. The trunk is also smaller.

I saw the Q45 in the showroom today and I think it's a good looking car from all view points. Many great features and a real bargan.
    feverhart: You are correct. I was using the first manual I got on the Q which listed the interior roo incorrectly. The Q is a touch smaller than the lexus. 1 inch front headroom, .1 inch rear head room, .1 inch front shoulder,1 inch rear shoulder, .8 inch front hip, and.3 inch rear leg to be exact. It has more rear hip room and the same front leg room. Sorry about that. Still it is a beautiful car wait untill you drive it.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    View the online article at http://www.autoweek.com
    I also made it off the waiting list and will be test driving the new Q at the California Speedway this Sunday. I'm sure it will be compared to the 7 series, S Class, XJ8, and LS430 not so much on a price basis but on content and car class. This thing sounds like it will be a blast.
  • alexalee1alexalee1 Member Posts: 35
    I think I am starting to like the way the new Q45 look.

From one last picture of the AutoWeek magazine article, the black car, if viewed straight from the front looks like the Peugeot 504.

So, I guess when the designer mentioned that it's not American nor Japanese nor European, he must refer to France (European also, but, not in a Germanic way).

I received the old 2001 Q45 from Infiniti yesterday, even though I filled up the request after the site was updated with 2002 model already.

I think in this area (e-commerce), Lexus handled it better.
  • jochijochi Member Posts: 18
    Regarding the interior volume, 106.9 refers to the car without sunroof and 102.1 is for the car with sunroof.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Hmmm, sounds strange. The sun roof takes up 4.8 cubic feet of volume?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I had been looking at used ES300's until I noticed that Q45s seem to go for about the same price as a similar-year ES300.
    I actually prefer the sleek "Jaguar" looks of the 96's better than the uptight "Bentley" looks of the 97s and newer models, but do the newer models drive much better or are they more reliable.
    In a way, I like the ES300 because it looks good, is easier to handle and park and gets better mileage. I can imagine horrific MPG on the Q45s.
    I don't like the old-style I30s at all, so that's not an option.
  • bettyb1bettyb1 Member Posts: 2
    I need good advice. When I purchased a certified used Q45 in December, (mileage 36,500 at time of purchase), I also bought the extended bumper-to-bumper 3 year warranty for $800. I thought this meant I would only pay for oil changes and tune ups for the next three years.
    I took the car in to the dealer for an oil change today and learned that when the odometer reaches 45,000 miles, the car will be due for a check up @ $369 ! At 60,000 miles, the checkup will cost $849 ! Is there a more economical alternative to maintaining my Q45 without defaulting on the bumper-to-bumper warranty agreement? What are my options? Thanks to one and all who respond.
    Betty
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Betty,
    Extended warranties do not *usually* cover scheduled maintenance, although they may. Like original warranties they cover broken components. To cover the maintenance you describe you would need a "service contract".
    What you need to determine is if your extended warranty has specific language that requires you to have the 15k interval services done in order to keep the warranty valid. If so, then you should have them done. But there are plenty of shops that can perform the service for much smaller prices than you were quoted at the dealer. The warranty should NOT require you to have the work done at an Infiniti dealer, but make sure.
    With my Q I ignored the 15k mile intervals and had the 30k and 60k services done (with oil changes and a few other services done outside the dealer in between those intervals) The car should not need the 45k service, IMO. The 60k service includes a tuneup, but again, you should shop around (make sure the shop is experienced with Q45s) to see what you can do. The major services (every 30k miles) do important things such as changing brake, transmission, and cooling fluids. Hope this helps some.

Denny
  • philw2philw2 Member Posts: 36
    Saw one today. they are awesome. Anyone in Texas looking, send me an email: pwein@hotmail.com. I AM NOT A DEALER, ETC. I can get one for you.
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    Your Infiniti dealer is cheap compared to mine. I spent $400 for the 30K service on my wifes I30 and that did not even include the tire rotation (just bought new tires) or wiper blades (same) that they normally do. They are a rip off too. They charged me to flush the coolant system, but only drained & refilled the radiator. When I complained, the service manager said that was all they could do because they don't have a flush machine. When I asked about the block drain plugs he said "do you know how hard those are to get to". Well the "do it yourself" section of the owners manual calls out removing the block drain plugs when changing the coolant. I even called the Infiniti complaint line & basically they did not care about my satisfaction.
    Basically my $400 paid for an oil change, brake fluid flush, intake system cleaning, radiator drain & refill and the replacement of the air & fuel filters. I don't really feel that I got my moneys worth, especially since I had a cooling system flush and a transmission flush done by another shop afterward.
    I also have a 90 Q45 and the 60K service for it was approx $1000. At least they changed the plugs that time!
    You do not have to do scheduled maintinence at the dealer. You can have the work done anywhere as long as you keep the reciepts to maintain your awarrenty coverage. If the Infiniti dealer is to much go to walmart. No loner car but hey you can't have everything.
  • moon595moon595 Member Posts: 1
    The 2002 Infiniti Q45 is an amazing vehicle. Yes I sell them, but I always have openly stated the vehicle did not compete with the LS400. The 2002 has it all at a price that will make Lexus buyers at least give it a look. If they drive one, they'll buy one. Dead serious, this car handles, accelerates like a dream. It has all the ammeneties, rear view color camera, tire pressure monitor, voice activated radio & climate control, rear reclining seats, rear audio and climate controls, DVD Navigation that is simple to use, real wood finally, 18" tires and wheels, 340 hp 5 speed A/T w/ manual shift mode and 0-60 mph at 5.9 secs. Infiniti has nailed it at $59,045 at the top end Premium Package and $51,045 at the Performance Luxury Model.
    BRACE YOURSELF.....THE Q IS BACK!!!!
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Why is this forum unsearchable?
    I typed Q45 in the search box and it finds nothing. I have to manually scroll through the sedans community to find it.
  • bettyb1bettyb1 Member Posts: 2
    To Denny (sysadb), philw2, tom17 and mvargo1:
    Thank you one and all for your helpful responses to my query.
    Betty (bettyb1)
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Rapro - As an Infiniti owner (not a Q) and a member of the IOC, I can tell you that ignoring Q45man's advice and input is very risky. I've met and spoke to Infiniti folks nationwide and have never found anyone so plugged in to the Q45 as Dennis Evans. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of people who are experts on Corvettes or Mustangs or Porsches, etc but there aren't too many who are experts on the Infiniti Q45. having him around to ask questions of is a massive asset. Don't let others tell you to ignore his advice; it's a mistake.

I don't see that $400 for the 30K service is out of line. If the shop charged $60/hour for labor you got prolly $225 in labor charges. For parts and supplies for all that work prolly cost close to $125. With tax that's close to $400. Who's gonna do it cheaper yet with the same expertise? The 30K service on my QX4 was $350 and I got all the same services. If you're leasing the vehicle it may not pay to have all that work done, but if you're keeping it $400 is cheap in the long run.
  • kappaman1kappaman1 Member Posts: 18
    saw the new Q this weekend. Beautiful car! can't wait to test drive. Now if marketing will only step up to the plate.
  • raprorapro Member Posts: 30
    You misunderstand my point. There is no question in my mind that Dennis is extremely knowledgable about Q45's. I enjoy his comments and learn a lot from them here and at Infiniti's owners club at Yahoo. In fact that's why I asked him to brake down his estimated maintenance figure just so I could see where the money would go. I have a very good and cheap mechanic (sounds like an oxymoron, but this one is not) and I basically wanted to know how much of his figure was labour so I could calculate my labor costs which are about half of [(Chilton time for job) X $60/hour]. To be honest I felt that Dennis was overestimating the real cost a little though I understand why. A lot of people buy this car because of its initial low cost. He is just warning people that though the initial price maybe low the maintenance cost are relatively high and may go as high as $ 3000 a year or more. I think Dennis is an invaluable asset to Q owners who frequent this site as well as the Yahoo site.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    10-4. Thanks for the perspective. Best o' luck with your Q.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yes, the search feature here is, ah, quirky at best. Some suggestions: Search for "Infiniti Q45" rather than just "Q45" - that listed it for me. Also, you could "subscribe" to this discussion and then use the "Read Subscriptions" button to easily find it if it has new posts. If you need more information about these features, see the "Town Hall Help" link on the left sidebar.

Also, if you are at the main discussion list for Sedans, you can use your browser's own Search feature (usually under Edit on the title bar of the browser) to find within the page "Q45" or whatever you are looking for. If you use this method, just be aware that there is a second (and occasionally a third) page to the board - you would use the "More" button at the bottom of the page to get to the succeeding pages. (And I have found that with Netscape, it is necessary to "select" some text at the top of each page before using Netscape's "search" feature to make it start searching from the top.)

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    I test drove one yesterday at my local dealer's unveiling event. I presently own a 90 Q45 with a first gear start computer. Well I was not impressed. My Q45 is a world more fun to drive. For some reason the new Q is very slow off the line (from a stop). Night & day slower than my Q in first, even seems slower than my Q in second. I tried the manual shift control to make sure it was starting in first. Well that did not help. But it did uncover another problem. The car will upshift on its own (1->2) at around 5,000 RPM. Well the redline is like 6,500 RPM. In my mind that makes the manual control worthless. Next, in the Premium version the rear seat passengers have air conditioning controls. Well I found out that instead of having a third zone (like the T&C minivan) or varying the passenger temp setting, when the rear seat passengers change their temp setting it changes the setting for the driver!
    After test driving the new Q, I really appreciated driving home in my Q!
  • plts06plts06 Member Posts: 1
    Took the Infiniti 'Test Drive' @ California Speedway yesterday - 135 indicated while riding in the rear seat of the new Q, what a rush!! 125mph indicated into the banked turns at the speedway, watching the lead Q45 wiggle and wobble but never lose grip while feeling the same in ours, incredible. Then a few laps on the road course behind the wheel; power, brakes, VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) all very impressive.
    Infiniti had competitors to drive, closest match was the 540i, but still 65 fewer ponies and much less room and amenities. Be sure to check out the Voice Command option when you visit the dealer, quite interesting.
    To quote a previous post, "The 2002 Infiniti Q45 is an amazing vehicle.
    BRACE YOURSELF..... THE Q IS BACK!!!!"
    As nice as your old Q is it is not even close to the power of the new one. The '94 and earlier do have the hottest engine ever put in the Q....... untill now. IF you keep your foot down the car will remain in first up to redline. The trick with the new Q is with the variable valve timing and variable length intake runners you don't feel a sudden surge of power as the revs build. Most of the torque is available along the full range of the rev band.
This discussion has been closed.