Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• kevin6842kevin6842 Member Posts: 5
    Hmmm. I sure don't live in Arizona but we have had a couple of 104 degree days already and the air conditioning performed flawlessly on those days even when the car was parked out in the hot sun. I guess this summer will tell.
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I got got back from a long weekend in the desert (La Quinta) It was well over 100 degrees. The A.C. on my 2002 Q worked just fine. No complaints here.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    To kevin6842 and DonFenn,

Hopefully the air on your Q's will continue to be to your satisfaction, even though it didn't measure up to mine. Happy motoring!
  • elgritonelgriton Member Posts: 67
    My parents relayed the same situation with the lack of cold air coming from the new Q as they went for several test drives at dealerships in Tampa. Their salesman told them that it may have been b/c it's a brand new car sitting on the lot for awhile. Plausible? Hardly. Anyhow, just wanted to pass along that little bit of info. for perspective buyers. BTW, carnaught...congrats on your LS 430 purchase.
    While my A/C works fine,I have noticed that the factory window tint is quite light on the new Q. Seemingly it is less tinted and protected than the tint on my previous cars. This creates a really hot greenhouse effect when my car has been sitting in the sun. It cools down after the I get the air conditoning up and running, but it can be a hot potato for the first ten minutes after a good baking. Meanwhile, I am getting my windows tinted.
  • alexalee1alexalee1 Member Posts: 35
    For those of you with the new Q, how is the new Q "most powerful headlights in the world" fare in the real world?

Is it enough when you want to sprint "0-60 in 5.9 seconds" at night?

How is it compared to let's say the Mercedes-Benz S-Class?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I just went on a test drive of the new Q45 with a buddy who's looking to replace his E420. We also test drove a 540iA, 540i 6-speed and 530i 5-speed.

Just my opinion, but anyone concerned about "performance" as evidenced by previous posts on 0-60 times should seriously consider the BMW 5-series. The "lowly" 530i 5-speed (which I am considering) seemed almost as quick and, equiped with the sport package, had much tighter handling. The 540iA and 6-speed were clearly in a performance league above the Q and LS.

I'm a big Nissan/Infinity fan, but I don't think the Q45 will ever unseat BMW on the "performace" front. My buddy and I both concluded: if regularly hauling 5 adults is required and luxury touches and gizmos are important, the Q wins. If hauling 4 or fewer adults will suffice, and performance and driving enjoyment are very important, the 5-series seems the better choice.

P.S. The experience also reinforced my previous feelings: manu-matics, steptronics, and all the other "compromises" notwithstanding, there still is no substitution to rowing your own.
    The 5 series BMW's are great cars. My buddy's new M5 is one of the greatest driver's cars that I have ever driven. The 5 series vehicles are not really aimed at the same audience as the Q45, but since the price levels are similar, people may consider them at the same time. The character of the 5 series is far different than the Q45. The Q is a luxury car with high performance abilities. Its features and drive qualities are better compared to the 7 series BMW. The 5 series is really more of a sport sedan....a very good sport sedan!
  • orman1orman1 Member Posts: 7
    There is nothing like your own, and it sucks that more and more cars are diminishing their 5 and 6 speeds. Not many have them, so the selection is difficult. Personally, I'd like to see a 6 in the 430 or the q. Sounds weird, but that's my opinion. They did it in the old sc300's (only a few every 1000 or so) but they left the option open. It is my opinion, but if they only left the options open for those few.... drivers that really want to control their own I think those performance drivers would benefit. But it will increase their production costs, of course. The M5 is in a class not like the ls or the q, and a vehicle I'd like to take out for a drive sometime. Seems like an awesome machine---5.0 400 hp and a 6 sp.
  • orman1orman1 Member Posts: 7
    As others have asked, how are the q lights at night? Do they create a beam that is the "most powerful in the world?" How is the gas mileage too?
    Headlights: The headlights are certainly powerful, but since I have not been out of an urban area at night I cannot really tell how bright. I do know that they throw a really bright, broad, white beam of light.

Mileage: It is about what I expected....It seems to be in line with the 17/25 EPA raatings. I am on and off the freeway, but I have been stuck in a great deal of stop-and-go traffic, so my average gas mileage is not very impressive. When I have checked it, the car's computer has told me that my mpg average is between 15.8 and 18.1 mpg. I am sure that on an open-highway basis it is in the low to mid 20 mpg range. It is about the same as my '99 Q45 with the smaller engine. I am satisfied, and I never expected a big V-8 to do much better than this.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,505
    Headlight capability is much like performance capability.

It's not as if the people who buy these cars actually have any use for most of their capabilities. Anyone seen an empty curvy road lately? How many of you drive from Hinton, Alberta to Kamloops, B.C. at 3 in the morning? Those who don't get huffy at these two question probably have some actual use for the capability of "performance" vehicles. All others . . .

Yes, I know where empty roads are, and have done many round trips between Edmonton & Vancouver, so treasure high-powered headlights. I'd dearly love to hear the war stories from the other Q45 buyers who actually use a few of the features of their (desired) car.

Folks who argue performance features that they'll never use tend to jack me up. . .but that's just me. Remember "driving lights?"
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • twinspoppoptwinspoppop Member Posts: 1
    I've made a few offers on the 2002 Q45 in Florida
    NJ and NY, all dealers maintained the same price.
    The word is out, Nissan has the price set; nation
    wide. Isn't that illegal?
  • rjelkhatibrjelkhatib Member Posts: 4
    twinspoppop,

Nissan setting the price of its Q at all its locations would not constitute price-fixing. Generically, it is illegal for a company to meet with a another company in order to fix the price of an item (one hypothetical example would be Jewel and Dominicks management secretly getting together in order to set the price of a gallon of milk at $2.99).

Nissan is just setting the price for the Q, similar to an oil change shop charging $19.95 for an oil change at all of its nation-wide locations.

on another note, have you been happy with the infinite vehicles you have owned? I am looking to buy a '98 Q this summer - any insight?
    I was told that Infiniti wants the dealers to try and hold window price during the first few months of introduction. One dealer said that Infiniti is monitoring new Q45 sale prices, and that dealers who discount significantly may have their allocations reduced. I do not know if this is valid...It may have just been an excuse. Nontheless I do know that some dealers in California are dealing.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    We don't need to Fix the price. Right now we are selling every Q they give us. So why would we discount? There is no fix. If you want the car buy it, even at full sticker it is still thousands less than anything even remotely comparable.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    i hope that the Q will hold its price due to demand and even draw waiting lists (wishful thinking). this will in turn keep their resale value up which is good for the brand.

unfortunately, even the Maxima was selling for sticker when it first came out...now it below invoice...
    I am glad to hear that they are selling every one in your area. As an owner of a 2002 Q I am one of the car's biggest fans. As an owner,I would love the cars to hold their value! However, I do not get the impression that they are they are in such short supply here in Los Angeles. One dealer advertised that they have 22 new Q45's in stock in last Sunday's paper...
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The sales numbers say this car is not an immediate hit. Look at the Q45 sales vs. its main competitors for April and May...

April 2001:
    Lexus LS 430 -- 2744
    MB S-Class -- 2074
    BMW 7-Series -- 1528
    Q45 -- 565

May 2001:
    Lexus LS 430 -- 2807
    MB S-Class -- 2245
    BMW 7-Series -- 1494
    Q45 -- 686
  • matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    Sales of the New Q are a little disappointing, but that's good for me! I give Infiniti a couple more months before they start to discounting the car with their usual $5000 dealer incentive like they have in the past! Then add that to the Dealer discount and I will be able to purchase the New Q myself for AROUND $41,000. I have owned 2 Q45's and absolutely love the car.
    Plus you have to admit the interior is gorgeous!
  • maneesh1maneesh1 Member Posts: 39
    I'm interested in trading in my 2001 i30t for the new Q. My i30 has only 6k miles on it.

Should I wait to trade it in and cash in on the large discounts. The only pitfall is the depreciatino of i30t at a later time.
    well Infiniti's market base is smaller than the Lexus but now it's getting to be ridiculous. the ratio of LS400 to Q45 sales used to be 2 to 1..and now its 4+ to 1.

It's funny how it's 1990 all over again (1989, whatever). Lexus goes for luxury and Infiniti performance. Same result. If you look at the number of replies posted...the LExus LS is getting alot more interest than the Q.

It's also kind of funny that the LS buyers are mostly looking for the Ultra luxury version of the LS 430. Maybe Infiniti should have used more wood, particularly around the center console area, ventilated seats, a fridge..etc. Who knows? I personally think they should come up with a V12 and a 6-speed automatic transmission along with all the other luxury features and sell it for around $70000. Or else it's a good time to wait a few years and buy a great car that's just not accepted by the public at a great price.
    I love my new Q45, but they do not seem to have any real visibility yet in the luxury car marketplace. The car is great, and has gotten nice reviews but it seemingly has been flying below the average luxury car buyer's radar screen. It surprises me how many people do not seem to know that there is a new 2002 version of the Q45 out there. As a former Q45 owner, I paid attention to the introduction of the new Q, but I am not sure that other luxury car buyers are giving it much attention. Meanwhile, the pool of loyal late model Q45 owners, who are candidates to trade into the new car, is not a very large pool of buyers.......
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    I agree with lsc on adding v-12 engine. Infiniti needs to do something more dramatic that truly outdo Lexus LS. I would think V12 engine, 6 speed optional manual, and AWD will take care of the Q's image problem. None of these are offered by the LS, and Infiniti must beat Lexus in getting them in the market first.
    There are not enough buyers in the luxury sedan class, seeking such a vehicle to ever make it commercially feasible. Most Lexus LS430 drivers are happy with their luxo-cruisers and are not seeking a V-12,AWD, with a 6 speed. The development cost alone would choke any auto maker. Its a nice thought, but it is not going to happen. Dream on.
  • drod2045drod2045 Member Posts: 39
    Infiniti has been developing a sport version of the Q, like BMW's M series, and they plan on giving it at least 400hp. Ive read 430hp. The power comes from the same 4.5 V8 and will either go tothe rear wheels as usual but I have heard AWD. Ive heard that it may get a new tranny such as a 6 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. Im not sure on the tranny though. Hopefully Infiniti wil get some b@lls an go with the 6 speed manual. but I asure you that there will be a sport version of the Q touting at least 400hp. It should be out late 2002 as a 2003 model. The upcomg G35 (new skyline in Japan) will be out spring of 2002 so all you baby boomers, Infiniti is coming back. :)
  • lakers_shaqlakers_shaq Member Posts: 11
    What would be a good lease payment for the Q with full option? What was ur lease deal?

I saw a dealer selling the Q at $1900 off MSRP recently. What was your discount?

I saw the new Q on the road today and wasn't too impressed with it's Ford Taurus shape, but that 340hp V8 is very appealing. I would definately choose it over the Lexus LS430, considering everyone seems to have one already.
    The Q has a long way to go to build up the kind of reputation it had prior to the '97 model year. If you compare current Q sales to last years model, month to month it is doing very well indeed. I believe however that it will take quite some time for Infiniti to build enough recognition in the market to reach it's full potential.

Of course it is not selling like the LS and others but it is working against the handicap of 10 years of bad advertising and 4 years of a mediocre product.

Don't hold your breath waiting for those big rebates of the new Q's. Ever since the introdution of the new '00 I30 in '99 Infiniti has held the line against offering huge dealer incentives or give away lease deals. (unlike the IS300). Which is a good sign in the long run for maintaining residual value.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,505
    on my recent post which pointed out that high-performance headlights (not to mention the rest of the car) are rarely actually used by the folks who buy cars. The object appears to be to own the feature(s), not to use it (them). The Q was a wonderful car when it first came out (I even liked the weird tv commercials), then it was dumbed down to compete w/ Lexus, and now appears to be headed back to its origins.

From a long-time Nissan fan, having driven a 240Z almost a quarter million miles.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • hbasrahbasra Member Posts: 1
    One can definitely accept that Infinite is trying hard to capture back its lost charm, but we have to admit that Lexus is no lemon either. With the last figures out it would be tough for Infinite dealers to continue asking for MSRP. Last week I went to a infinite dealer and he was ready to sell it for $5000 below MSRP in Colorado.

Lexus on other is a) difficult to get in AL package
    I) very few dealers are selling below MSRP.
    I) Buyers of AS 430 are very happy & Loyal
    I) Will have better residual value than an Infiniti

Lexus is also outselling MB S class in this segment.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    FYI I purchased my redeisgned 2K Maxima in July 99 for 750.00 over invoice, not MSRP.

As for the Q, well Infiniti cant hold the line for much longer. A few months ago a sales person at Infiniti of Lisle here in Chicago turned me off big time. The first thing I was told "were not discounting the car from MSRP"

Well that same sales person called me today asking if I wanted to take advantage of some new inventory specials according to my secretary.

Needless to say I did not return the call.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    i've been to that dealer also..i have a family member who bought a car there..they were quite nice. not when i went though, that's a story for another time but its funny because a salesmen called me a couple of times too after playing hardball. (which i thought was against infiniti's policy).

$750 above sticker in 7/99? wish i'd have known at the time...i was turned off by the $2000 over sticker market adjustments and didn't even sit down to deal at the time.
    The $2000 adjustment over MSRP and the "C" air conditioning turned me off to the car.
    As the owner of a new Q45, I would love the see prices held, but I cannot see where the dealers are going to be able to avoid making deals. Their simple commercial need to move product will win out. I also think that paying over sticker price for any car is rediculous. Because of my long-standing relationship with my dealer I got my car at $900 over invoice---which is the reason I went for it. Otherwise I would have waited.

I want to again comment on air conditioning issue that carnaught mentioned. It has been discussed here before, and I have been quite sensitive since then about it's performance. Well, I was in Palm Springs on a business trip this week in 114 degree heat, and my Q45 was cooled quite well by the A/C. I also asked my friend at the dealer about any a/c complaints and he is not aware of any either.
  • clif3clif3 Member Posts: 10
    I read in US Today that the new Q45 has the most expensive headlights to replace at $1,800. Even if this is for both - much!
  • mbaudibest1mbaudibest1 Member Posts: 25
    WOW!!! but i guess you have to pay if you want the best.
    ...I'm glad there does not seem to be a problem with the A/C with your ownership experience, but I'm still quite puzzeled why there WAS an issue with the air with my test driving three different "Q's" and one I-30. I have no reason or motivation to "imagine" it. I think the "Q" and Infinitis, in general, are great cars. I think we ought to let the issue rest and each individual come to their own conclusions, especially before one buys the car, to insure it measures up to one's expectations.
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    When you think about it $1800 for 14 Xenon Bulbs that cost $150 a piece isn't that bad. You save around $300, plus aren't the Xenons suppose to outlive the car.
  • adobadob Member Posts: 18
    I believe it is only one bulb, focused by 7 lenses on each side (per the folks at the test drive at CA speedway). Per my 1999 Q owners manual, it sounded like they were fragile. The manual says not to use on short trips ??? as frequent on/off would cause premature burnout. Or something to that effect. I use interior flashlights mounted on the dash, for those "short" trips.
    It is one bulb with 7 lenses and a Zenon Headlight should last just about forever because there is no filament, just an arc through an inert gas to keep the electrodes from corroding
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    Well i was misinformed!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, a couple of posts have been removed. Let me remind everyone that your Membership Agreement states that "You agree that, except with Edmunds.com’s prior consent, you will not solicit or promote any products or services, nor self-promote (either in your Postings or in your profiles) for personal gain within Town Hall."

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Everything we do in life is for personal gain. I personally gain from the views expressed in this forum and I promote the cars I like.

My email is public so I offered to assist someone via email with no mention of compensation.

Silly goose!
    Surprising that the new Q is not selling well. Sales for June are as follows:

LS 430 -- 2724
    7-Series -- 2077
    S-Class -- 1829
    Q45 -- 543

Note the 7-Series had a $12,000 rebate during the month which helped boost sales.
    What kind of numbers did Infiniti expect?

I drive a lot and have seen only two thus far.

Infiniti of Lisle (IL) who claims to be the nation's number one sales leader has 4-5 units for sale (which includes the GM's demo).
    The low "Q" sales are not surprising. They're not dealing on them and should be.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Where did you get the data and does Audi even sell 200 A-8's a month? I'm an LS430 owner but finally saw the new Q on the road and thought it looked nicer than in pix and more massive looking (thus impressive) than what I would have thought. Given Infiniti's are also quite reliable and the car is an excellent value I'm surprised that it is selling slowly. I wouldn't think Infiniti would "deal" the car given it seems to be "right priced". BTW - NJ dealers are still heavily discounting the 7 and there still seem to be lots of them on the BMW lots I drive past. Are the sales you posted real consumer sales or sales from BMW to dealers?
  • kappaman1kappaman1 Member Posts: 18
    Clearly the new Q is a car that deserves strong consideration when buying a luxury high end performance car. So I guess if the new Q starts to sell like you alledge the lexus is selling you would consider the car, and not the perception. There is little question that the car can hold its own plus allow you to keep several grand in your pocket. It's just, I think, a matter of marketing keeping pace with the designers and engineers. Often I see infiniti owners and say there goes someone with a sense of style, performance and value!
    All auto manufacturers release their monthly sales numbers via press releases. These can be accessed at prnewswire.com, usually around the 2nd-3rd of each month for the previous month's sales.

Audi A8 sales in June were 182.

I think a lot of Infiniti's woes can be traced to a lack of long-term direction. Look at Infiniti vs. Lexus, since they started within a few months of each other.

1. Infiniti has brought out and then completely discontiuned two models, the M30 and J30 (plus the G20 if you count it was gone for several years). Lexus has never done that. This does not bode well for the brand long-term.

2. Infiniti has yet to develop a unique, ground-breaking car since the first Q45. The new G35 may be such a car, we'll have to see. Meanwhile, Lexus has brought out cars such as the original SC300/400, RX300 and new SC430. Each has helped elevate the status of the brand and been very successful.

3. Infiniti brought out a 4-cylinder car in the G20, a huge mistake in my opinion. The Maxima is nicer. Lexus avoided overlapping the Toyota and Lexus brands.

4. Many of Infiniti's cars are way too similar. The QX4 is just a facelifted Pathfinder, and you can't even tell an I30 from a Maxima. At least the Camry and ES 300 share no common non-mechanical parts, inside or out. (granted the Land Cruiser and LX 470 are similar too, but this is aniche product).

The northern suburbs of Chicago are one of the most exclusive in the entire country in terms of household income. There are three Lexus dealers in this area. The only Infiniti dealer closed several years ago (there is another one further out). The old sales manager at that dealer now sells BMWs, and he told me Infiniti had a total lack of investment in cars and strategic direction. Consumers see past that. It will take some good new cars, and some time, for Infiniti too rebuild their reputation. But I think it can be done.

It is in our best interest as consumers to see all manufacturers build the best possible cars.
This discussion has been closed.