Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Hi everyone. A friend of mine just bought a '98 Q45. It came without the remote key fob.

Do Infiniti dealers sell the key fobs? Can one be bought elsewhere? Also are there any instructions on how to program a key fob?
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    dealer shoule be able to get them and they should be able to program it in about 1 min. if you have the car with you
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    and they will probably charge about $50 for 1 minute of work, right?
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    You can check www.infinithelp.com under FAQ's. It tells you how to reprogram it yourself. The dealer, if they have any decency should do it for free, I had it done at Motorwerks, in IL for free on my old J30t.

It looks like when you closely inspect the differences between the Q45 and the Nissan Cima, some of the fine detail have been left out of the Q45. I'm surprised to see that while Lexus pay attention to every little detail in bringing out the LS430 to the US, Infiniti will skimp on the details.

Don't they already have a handful in trying to compete with Lexus?

Why would they skimp on the detail..such as cheaper assist grips, no rear center head rest/power headrests, less chrome, etc..etc. 340HP but slower 0-60 times. No wonder the LS430 is kicking the Q45's butt.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great car. I'll probably get one used in 3 years...but man...they keep missing the mark by a little bit. I think they need me to work for them.

I'll straighten them out. :-)
  • richmondmrichmondm Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 Q and couldn't be happier. I bought mine a year ago with 43K miles. I have since put 42K miles this last year with no mechanical issues at all. This was the last year the Q was a luxury SPORT sedan before they softened it up. The acceleration is excellent and there hasn't been a passenger who has ridden in it that has not commented it was one of the best riding cars they ever rode in. The only major flaw are the cupholders located IN the center console. The cost of the 96's and the reliability + luxuries make it a great buy!
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    As the owner of a 2002Q with about 17,000 miles I would like to offer my observations: The car has been trouble free and close to flawless. It is a very pleasing car. The only problem is the small body gasket at the edge of the headlight has come loose a couple of times. Other that that issue, I have had six months of total pleasure from this car. The car performs well, the stereo rocks, and the comfort is excellent. It is a very nice car. Really nice. It has a lot of content for the price.

This is my fifth Q45. I have been coming back to Infinti because the cars work well, the deals are good, and the service has been great. My early Q's were great handling cars. I had two, '91 and '94, with the Hicas steering. My 95 was a bit mellower but still a great car. The second version of the Q45....'97 to '01 was a bit watered down, but they were not the dogs that some make them out to be.

There are lots of negative comments here about the '97 to '99 Q's. I had a 99t version and it was a reaaly nice car...Not the most exciting car, nor the fastest car, but it was a really solid car which was reasonably responsive, drove well, and gave me 46000 trouble free comfortable miles. People talk about this past generation Q45 like it was a bad car, but for the prices that they were selling them (I paid about $40k) it was a very nice car. Finding a nice used one at a low price would be good choice.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Does anyone know if the current Q45 uses a window grid antenna? If so, how does it compare to the old power rod antennas?

I currently have a window grid antenna and its nowhere near as powerful as the old power rod antenna in my last auto.

One of my requirements in my next auto is a power rod antenna. I had my old auto for 7+ years and the power rod motor never broke down (cleaned it a lot).

thanks,
    rasio reception with the window antenna seems to be just as good as the previous model which had the rod antenna. I had a customer with a '01 who traded into an '02. We took it out and tested the radio specificallt because this was one of his concerns.(He listens to several relativly distant radio staions.)
  • johntommybobjohntommybob Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a '98, Q45 (non-touring) at a local Infinity dealer. The car shows 53k miles, looks top notch and drives and rides really great. He is asking $24,700, dealer certified. Edmonds says $22,500. I believe the dealer bought this car at auction somewhere. The car's service record book shows nothing. The salesman says they don't record service in the book any more as it's all on computers now. I love the car, but I don't trust just anyone, especially not car salesmen. So, what do you think guys?
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Try Carfax.com, for $20.00 you can get detailed information on any car. You will need the VIN# but if the car is "certified" then that may increase the price around $1200.00 more than a non certified car. Run the vin with a different Infiniti dealer see what they come up with. Most time you can get this over the phone, although there are so many Q's available I would not get emotional with this or any car. Good luck!
  • petera1petera1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a mint 98 Q with 28K miles on it for $23.9K at CarMax. Infiniti dealers tend to overcharge (same here in Orlando). If you have a CarMax near you it may be worth checking out.
  • pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    Try posting that question in Real-World Trade-In Values thread in Smart Shoppers section. Terry and Bill have been helping folks with that type of questions.
    Is the car Premier Certified through Infiniti. If it is all services must be up to date, The car must be a clean title( no salvage, no theft recovory, no flood, etc.) Warrenty extended to 5/72,000 bumper to bumper, 7/100,00 powertrain. Brakes and tires must be more than 50%. So no worries.
  • matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    I came across an ad from Infiniti of Nashville that says 2002Q45 starting from $46,900. This is just above invoice, does anyone know if there is any dealer incentive on the 2002Q?
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. What has been the best lease deals that you have seen. So far, I have seen $3,709 down 12K a year, 48 months $599. Anyone see better?
  • markhamptonmarkhampton Member Posts: 74
    It looks like Infiniti is subsididizing its lease deals through the end of February. On their web site, they show:

http://www.infiniti.com/acquire/NationalOffersDetail/0,1230,22437,00.html

MSRP $51,045 (with no discount)
    39 months
    12k miles/year
    $2,107 Cap reduction (plus $1,l00 in fees/deposit and first months payment, for a total of $3,956)
    $699/month

Using those figures, the 39 month residual on this car is 57% and the money factor is .00245 (~5.9%). Not too shabby really.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    markhampton:

You appear to be a finance guru. Could you please shed some light on how the money factor is computed and secondly how it is converted to an annual interest rate? Also, is the capitalized cost the same as the MSRP?

The lease/buy financial metrics is something I have been trying to understand for years. i.e. from a strictly financial viewpoint, how can I compute the true cost of leasing versus owning and can I do these calculations with a TI BA-35 financial calculator?

Your direct response or reference material would be appreciated.
  • dbrulanddbruland Member Posts: 21
    To your point of possible incentives on 2002 Q45's, International Infiniti in Milwaukee is advertising ALL new Infinitis at "invoice or below" through end of February. I know the G20's can be had below invoice, but the invoice pricing sounds very attractive on the other models.
    Why not try a third party? Go to any search engine and look for "auto leasing" add Infiniti or luxury cars. They be able to get you a better deal. For example the $699.00 may stay the same but you may end up with 15k miles per year vs 12k. Good luck!
  • markhamptonmarkhampton Member Posts: 74
    Fortunately Infiniti put enough information on their web site for me to figure out the residual and the money factor. I use a spreadsheet to do this, which I can sent to you if you like. You can change any of the variables (money factor, cap reduction, number of months, residual) and it will calculate the payment.

The residual I used is based on figures listed in Infiniti's web site. (lease-end purchase price divided by MSRP, or $29,095 / $51,045 = 57%) Residuals are based on the MSRP, not the negotiated price of the car. Last year when the car had just come out, I looked into a lease and found that the residual was 51% - 53% depending on mileage. Not good at all! Based on the current residual, it appears they are subsidizing the lease to move some cars.

There are better money factors out there. Cadillac, for example, has theirs set at .00145 right now (in addition to the $2002 incentive and lots of negotiating room) and BMW is at .00205 for some models. Generally, the approximate interest rate is calculated by multiplying the money factor by 24. As I understand it, this figure does not translate exactly to an interest rate, but it's useful for comparison purposes.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Thanks markhampton for offering to share your spreadsheet template and to explaining how to convert the money factor to an approximate APR.

You may email the attachment to JoyRydar@aol.com.

Thanks again
    Phillip
  • ejones31ejones31 Member Posts: 12
    I want to trade a 2000 Mazda 626 in for a 1998 Q45 with 42K on it. It's at a Atlanta area Dodge dealer for $19995.00. Would anybody do that. I want a nice big car but can not afford a new car. Hate the Mazda to small.
  • petera1petera1 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a great price to me (having purchased a 98 with 28K miles 3 weeks ago for $24K). I've never driven a 626, but I would only have to assume that the Q will be much more car than you are used to. Just make sure it hasn't been in any accidents or the like. Good luck on your decision.
  • thy_gallantthy_gallant Member Posts: 14
    I did the same thing. Sold my 1997 Mazda 626 and bought a 1995 Q45 for $8500 in ebay. Enjoying the car, check out ebay they have some great deals.
  • justinfriesjustinfries Member Posts: 2
    I would love to take you up on offer of emailing me the spreadsheet you prepared regarding leasing and solving for variables. Please email to me at jfries@gafinsurance.com
    Many thanks
  • rms_600rms_600 Member Posts: 14
    Kevin6842, I unlock all my doors whenever
    I'm about to enter a freeway. That's the law
    in Germany afaik. Beats being extracted from
    the car by "Jaws of Life" if all your doors
    are sealed shut!
  • scottw57scottw57 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a new 2002 Q45. Just eliminated the Lexus LS430, & BMW 7. Want to save some money and still get a brand new car! I'm looking at the model for $51,845 MSRP. The salesperson already is down to $47,845(on the phone). The invoice is $46,890. I'm trying to get the best deal possible. Any advice or stories out there on what is the lowest I can get these guys to? Thanks!!
  • funguy1funguy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi scottw57,
    Where are you located?
    If you're in S. CA, I may be able to help.
  • dbrulanddbruland Member Posts: 21
    Scott,

My local dealer, International Infiniti of Milwaukee continues to advertise "all 2002 Infinitis on sale at invoice or below". I have to think you should be able to buy your Q in Atlanta for no more than invoice. If you are serious, make a serious offer. Good luck.
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    Mike,

Would the Infiniti dealer charge me anything to look up the service history of a Q I'm looking to purchase?

Jp
  • kappaman1kappaman1 Member Posts: 18
    Does anybody know of any changes, small or large in Q45, i.e. HP, lights etc.
  • tgransingertgransinger Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone! Really enjoy everybody's comments on the new Q. I currently own a '92 LS 400. The car does not handle well in snow (even with traction control). Has anyone driven the Q in the snow, and how did the car respond? Looking foreward to your feedback! Tom
    No significant chnges are planned for the current Q Infiniti is too busy with other projects right now. They have the FX45 the G35 and G35 coupe, and the new small body V8 to worry about
  • cirderf13cirderf13 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Infiniti is offering any special deal on Q45 leases right now? On Cars.com the "deals" section said that offers ended 1/31/02. I was at a dealer in Chicago and I asked him that question and he said they were. I am not sure if he was giving me a line or what. Would appreciate any information. Thanks.
  • white98cl30white98cl30 Member Posts: 4
    I heard that Nissan was going to give Infiniti one more try and if sales didn't improve, they would phase the brand out after the current run of models. I love the new commercials almost as much as the new cars! Do they still sell G20 and I35 or not? Love the Gloria/Cedric/M45! I want to know if a first-generation Q would make a good car for a teen? They are quite cheap, and the only thing I would worry about would be the breakdown of parts or the insurance costs. Could someone help me out on these issues? Thanks!
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    The first-generation Q45 was interesting. For a teen? I would have loved one of those in high school. Parts? Few first-gens sold... insurance? dunno.

The Q45 has been a sad story as far as flagships go, but we could also talk about the Acura RL in the same tone.
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    With the success of G35 Infiniti is taking off after hitting rock botom period. The upcoming FX45 is promising and in 2 yr or so there's a chance (at least I hope they do) the M45 will be redesigned to look much more attractive than now.

With success of G35, Infiniti gets a big boost on its image and that can help other models sales will improve especially the slow selling Q45.
  • charlestonguycharlestonguy Member Posts: 9
    Well, my car has about had it and I am in the market for a new car. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, but I would like something nice. My main concern is reliability, but its also important to be comfortable as I do a fair amount of traveling. I have narrowed my choices down somewhat. I know some people in the car business and they have found me several possibilities. One is a 96 Q45 with 80k miles. In good shape, they did about a thousand dollars with of work on it and said its in great shape now. It was a local trade in, carfax looked like a one owner car. I could get it for about 8500. Another choice at about that price is a 94 BMW 318 convertible with 65k miles.. Nice car, and I like it being a 5 speed, but its the 4 cylinder, not a v8. But its about the same price as the Q. They also have a 96 328 in the same range with 80 k miles. If I wanted to go a few grand less, they have a nice 95 525, but its got a ton of miles on it. Its over 170k. But I could get it for almost half of the Q - 4500. Plus, I do know a BMW tech who could work on any of the BMW's for not too bad. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Go for the Q, get one of those BMW's or wait till a Lexus comes available?
  • doctordave1999doctordave1999 Member Posts: 14
    I'm new to this board, coming from the J30 board--recently replaced my 1994 J30 with a Q45--needed a larger car for the family. My wife has a 1998 I30 and so does her father, so we are an Infiniti family.

I recently purchased a 1994 Infiniti Q45 with Bose sound system. It has an AM/FM/cassette deck, buttons for CD, but no CD player. I thought I would just install a trunk mounted 6-disk CD changer (there's a slot for this and a wiring harness), but it is proving very difficult to find one that is compatible.

What are my options here? Bose doesn't want to sell me one directly, and the Infniniti dealership wants an exorbitant price. All of the local stereo shops say they can't help, that nothing is compatible, please go see your car dealership. I've done some research, and it's either Clarion or Alpine that manufacture for Bose under their agreement with Infiniti.

I just want to be able to play a CD in the car. I don't care whether it's a 6 disk changer, or whether it's one CD. I'm considering selling my AM/FM/cassette unit and trading for a Bose AM/FM/CD unit, but I fear that will be as expensive as getting a CD changer & installation.

Any suggestions? I wanted to avoid an FM modulated system or a cassette adapter, wanted to use the buttons on the radio unit to control the CD. Surely there are others who have overcome this problem that can recommend a fix. My e-mail is dnull2@csc.com

Thanks!!

doctordave1999
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I'd like to know if its offset and bolt pattern are the same as my 96 Maxima. I contacted both local Infiniti dealership and Infiniti corporate site with basically no information. If someone could provide that info I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks
  • bscbluebscblue Member Posts: 103
    Dave, the changer problem is easily (almost) solved. The changer in the early Qs were all Sony. Later, they switched to Clarion units and Alpine units. The ony uo need is Sony. I found a couple of sites that have it for just under $300 bucks. But I wonder if it can't be had for less than that.
  • doctordave1999doctordave1999 Member Posts: 14
    Bscblue, that's great news, thanks for the tip. But how do I know what year Infiniti changed from Sony to Alpine or Clarion--my Q45 is a 1994 model.

If you know where I can find a Sony CD changer that will work? eBay maybe? If you know of a source or web site to search, i'd appreciate the help.

Dave
  • bscbluebscblue Member Posts: 103
    No prob! The changer in all the 1994 Q45s is a Sony unit. I must admit I'm rather amazed your Q didn't have a changer or disc player unit at all. Funny.

Dave, try Ebay. I found several that would work for your Q. Try this item number: 1349263343. They have several kind that Infinitiparts.net sells OEM parts at discount prices. BUT . . . Infinitihelp.com sells them for even less than that. Compare the two and you'll see! The price differences are glaring.
  • koolkenkoolken Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Q45 I am trying to track down a owners manual. Any help
    I feel bad about not giving the new Q a fair review. I know sales have been sluggish but something hit me today that made me really want to buy a Q. I saw a black on black 02 Q45 driving next to me, my o my was this thing beautiful. I never really saw this car in action rolling down the road. Everyone was looking at it as if it were only out on the market a few days.

I have to reevaluate everything when I replace my 00 Maxima. If I were Infiniti I would reintroduce this car and take it to the streets.

A few suggestions to Infiniti if your listening.

"Taking it to the streets"

Offer extended test drives to seekers and admirers.

Showcase the car at public places such as malls, golf courses, concert halls, Doctors CE training's Lawyers seminars, business owners meetings at the local chamber of commerce, coffee shops, charity functions or anywhere were people can view the car and ask questions.

More things can be done to promote this car than offer deep discounts or dealer cash initiatives. You know your target market so go out and meet them in the streets. Heck assemble an outside sales team to go out into the community were your customers work and live and promote this car. Stop waiting to customers to come into the show rooms I would be tickled if BMW, Lexus or MB came to where I live or hang out. I could easily be talked into to buying a car if someone gave me a one on one tour of there product line.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I was in Florida in December and the mall there had a Q45.

Once you get into $50,000+ cars image plays a role whether you like it or not. And that's where the Q45 gets hurt no matter how good the car because Infiniti just does not have the image of Lexus, Mercedes and BMW. Maybe some day they will, but they don't now.

The discounting may have boosted sales a bit, but it has killed this car for the forseeable future.
    One of the current car magazines has an article titled "Sales-challenged cars." The Q45 is in the article. Here's part of what they say:

"The weak launch begat a decade of fire-sale prices and subsidized leases on Q45s, and now consumers aren't willing to pay the $55,000 sticker price. For that kind of dough, they can buy the industry benchmark Lexus LS 430. For a little more, they can buy into the prestige of the three-pointed star. 'No thanks,' say many potential customers."
    If you read the rest of the article it goes on to say that Infiniti is on the right track by doing away with the dealer incentives and discounts that destroyed the residual value of the old Q. The Q is also once again a better car than the Lexus. The have never been any dealer incentives on the current Q. Infiniti is on the right track with this car. As Ghosn said there is no problem that can not be solved by good product. Now that Infiniti has solved that problem time and good marketing will do the rest.

Honestly to get a Lexus that is close to the Q45 you have to pay closer to $65,000 and the little more they refer to for a benze $15,000- $20,000
    Saw another old-school Q the other day.
    Old-school Q45: BMW-fighter.
    New-school Q45: Lexus wannabe.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Does anyone know if the heated seats cover the seat back and bottom or just the bottom? Applies to front and back seats?

thanks,
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    "Saw another old-school Q the other day.
    Old-school Q45: BMW-fighter.
    New-school Q45: Lexus wannabe."

What does that mean?
    Old-school Q45 is definitely a 7-Series-type machine whereas the new Q45 wants to be a GS or LS Lexus.
This discussion has been closed.