Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• leotaurleotaur Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your help. I have had comments about the suspensionon a different Edmunds web site, the one for Chrysler Town and Country and Grand Caravan 2005 etc.
    I have been informed that the firmer "touring" suspension is really worth it and confirms my own driving impression. I was going to be hard to please prehaps having traded in a BMW X5 as I needed more room to travel with stuff and my dogs.
  • albumteacheralbumteacher Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this problem resolved? I live in Suwanee, have a 2001 T&C LXi and started having the same problem about 3 months ago. Went and got a new battery but couldn't believe that the battery was the problem since I have just now turned over 35K miles. My van was dead last Saturday morning, so we jumped it from my hubby's car. Same as I've read, with clacking noise, cd changer going, wipers going on slowly, etc. Today, I had the liftgate go out on me. Won't open with remote, inside power button OR manually! If you did get this resolved would you PLEASE tell me what happened and which dealership you went to? I bought mine at CarMax.
  • chase1chase1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 T&C with 166892 miles. Lately, my dash cluster nhas been acting up. As I go down the road, the cluster will die completely, sometimes one or two gages will come back, the alaqrm set light comes on, bells ring. My electronic odometer does not register correctly.

I have had it to chrysler twice with no luck. I assume they can only plug into some machine that tells them what is wrong. If it doesn't fit their computer categories, they can't figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated. Battery has been checked, terminals tightened and cleaned.
  • triumphtriumph Member Posts: 1
    The low fuel chime goes off randomly regardless of fuel quantity. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have a 2001 GC and our low fuel chime goes off randomly too at times. What I notice is that if the van is not on leveled ground, we would get an inaccurate reading. (It seems that the fuel float is very sensitive) Sometimes when parked on a side street that's on a slight slant to the curb, the low fuel chime goes off when there is 1/4 of a tank of gas. After driving on a flat surface for about a mile, it would go off. I do believe that the fuel float on our van is very accurate from the test that I have done. Pretty much every time the low fuel light comes on, we have about 5 gal of gas left. Hope this helps.
  • merwinemerwine Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 voyager. Heat problems. Local mechanic replaced the thermostat, flushed the heater, core blend door is operating fine...no help...no heat. I bit the bullet and paid crysler $60.00 for them to tell me a need a new temperature contol at the tune of $400.00 and $30.00 to install it (ez job). What the heck is a temperature control and if it is so easy to install, why can't I do it my self? But I don't know what the part is AND can I find one at the local salvage yard? THANKS
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    Hey guys,

New to this board, but old to the Toyota board. My lady friend has a 96 Voyager with the following problems: horn inop, cruise control inop, backup lights inop, and "AIRBAG" light in the warning cluster "on". This all happened at once, which lead me to believe that it might be a fuse. I have personally checked every fuse in the cabin and under the hood with an ohmmeter, and they are all good. I suspect a bad ground that services all these components. Anybody got any help for me? Thanks in advance.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
  • real123real123 Member Posts: 20
    My '98 Gr. Voyag has 88k. The car has been squeling loudly. Today, the mechanic told me I need new fr. pads, hoses, rotors and calipers. About six months ago (6-8k miles) I replaced the calipers and pads. Six months before that (6-8 k) replaced the rotors and pads. And so on.

I do live on a hill, and do a lot of city driving, but others that live around me don't have the same problem.

It seems that there is a more basic problem here causing the heavy wear.

I have used different mechanics in hopes someone will figure this out, to no avail. The expense is too great to keep this car. Any ideas are appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking in Got a Quick, Technical Question? about that temp control.

Steve, Host
  • rdarwinrdarwin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan, 3.3L short wheel version and only have 1500 miles on it. Sometimes when I turned the headlight switch ON at night, the headlight wouldn’t come ON. Only the day time running light is turned ON. The only way to correct this problem is to cycle the headlight switch from ON to OFF, and then back to ON again. It happened 7 times this week, but it doesn’t happen all the time. My van is not equipped with automatic headlight control. The Chrysler dealer couldn’t correct the problem since the problem couldn’t be duplicated at the dealership. I am just wondering if anyone has similar problem or someone can give me a hint of what might have cause the problem.

Thanks.. Rdarwin
  • ken15ken15 Member Posts: 7
    I had the same problem on my dakota pickup, with sputtering, losing power acted like fuel problem. My mechanic said replace the computer, I didn't believe them, I work as a Electronic technician and found that by removing my battery terminals and resetting the entire computer system, and then cleaning both battery terminals and hookups, that my truck would run find for months. When it started acting up I would clean the battery and wire terminals again..surprize it works, try it I believe the computer needs a very clean current/voltage source.
  • chase1chase1 Member Posts: 2
    Body Control Module changed, paid $500 for the work, waited for a week, problem not fixed. Car went back and I haven't heard from them. Any help out there?

Couldn't tell if that clockspring assembly message was for my benefit or not, will ask my service rep, probably cost me another $500 to find out.
  • jckabjckab Member Posts: 2
    It has 48,000 miles. It started with a ticking noise in the engine that gets faster and louder when I accelerate. The whole engine just sounds like a tin can. I also can't find the owners manual and there is a light that is orange that flips on for a day or 2 and goes off. It kind of looks like an engine and is orange. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks in advance.
  • gino45gino45 Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2001 Caravan with the following problem:

The wipers do not return to their original position when turning off the wiper switch. They tend to stop in their tracks as soon as the switch is turned off. On other occasions, the wipers will swipe 3 to 4 times before finally stopping. Is this a mechanical or electrical problem?
  • jckabjckab Member Posts: 2
    I had something similar happen like that with my 98 Grand Prix GT...It was the wiper motor.
  • atk220atk220 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Plymouth Voyageur doing the same thing & the dealer service dept cannot figure out what is wrong with it. Did you discover what this was?
  • mbehrmanmbehrman Member Posts: 3
    96 Plymouth voyager, front wiper only works when pumping windshield fluid, otherwise will not work, replaced the multi-function switch, still does not work
  • mbehrmanmbehrman Member Posts: 3
    In Canada, Shell created problems for caravans caused by a fuel additive. Caused a gumming of the float mechanism, gauge would go up and down and dinging each time it drops to low. There is a class action law suit, call Shell they will send a package. I went to the dealer and got a fuel cleaner of some type don't remember exactly what it was called. This cured my problems.
  • thermerthermer Member Posts: 1
    I had this same exact problem with my Dodge Grand Caravan recently. I tried changing the fuse also, then, after some research, the problem was found to be a defective clock spring. This item is in the steering column and was a Dodge recall. It took about 1/2 hour to repair at the dealership. BEWARE! While your airbag light is on, you airbag will NOT WORK!!!!! Good luck.
  • gpol42gpol42 Member Posts: 10
    I have had what you describe with my 97 voyager, and it is a tell tale sign that my battery terminals need to be cleaned with Bakeing Soda and water combination, usually a heavey acid buildup, Battery still has pleanty of juice but as I drive the cables must lose contact, try cleaning the cables with the bakeing soda, My Van has 198000 miles on it and keeps going
  • beebowbeebow Member Posts: 12
    Hello Everyone,

I just found the board today so this is my first post. My 2001 Grand Caravan Sport's spedometer quit working today . It's been raining heavy here in Phoenix which is very unusual. I don't know if driving through the deep water was a factor in the spedo problem, but thought I should mention it. Everything else seems to be working fine, tach, temp gage, etc. Is this a common problem, or has anyone here ran into it before? Is it an electronic spedo? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Beebow
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Yes, it uses an electronic speedometer. It's not an uncommon problem on your vintage Caravan. This is more times than not the result of a faulty Speed Distance Sensor.

Regards,

Dusty
  • beebowbeebow Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Rusty! Is there a way to test the sensor, or is it one of those things you just have to change?

Beebow
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The sensor is really an infared transducer that counts pulses through an encoder wheel. Basically you check for voltage and a dc return path to the component itself. If that is okay, replace the sensor. They're around $30.00.

Are you getting a fault code?

Best regards,

Dusty
  • cheetahcheetah Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 Caravan rear wing power windows no longer open/close. Is there a fuse I should replace (and where is it located) or is this something major? Please advise.
  • wendy673wendy673 Member Posts: 3
    How was this covered under the Fed Emmission Warranty? The reason I'm asking is my 98 Dodge Caravan is having some of the same problems-When checking out the computer it says ok to drive but won't let it go any further inside the computer. It won't start at all, but it turns over and nothing happens.

Please help!

Wendy
  • wendy673wendy673 Member Posts: 3
    My 1998 Dodge Caravan won't start. It will turn over but not start...It was checked out by a friend-he hooked it up to check to see what was wrong-it can back saying it was okay to drive but couldn't go into the engine part. We have eliminated the crankshaft sensor,starter, battery, fuel...everything except the electrial control module (computer) and I don't want to pay for one unless I'm 100% confident that is the problem. Am I missing something else to check? Please advise.....Help me!!! Thank you in advance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking in Got a Quick, Technical Question? too.

Steve, Host
  • kailuagrlkailuagrl Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I had the same problem, first they said it was the intermittent relay switch, 2 days later the service department calls me and tells me that they have to take out my BCM (brain control modual) and send it to the mainland to be re-built because they no longer manufacture my certain year. I asked why send it to the mainland to be re-built can't someone here in Hawaii do it? They said there was only one person who knew how. H-mmm, are you confused yet?, I was. Anyway the BCM also controls the wiper something? Just tell them check your BCM.

Much Mahalo's,

J.S.
  • kailuagrlkailuagrl Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan, the whole entire van's clear coat paint is bubbling and peeling. One year ago I questioned my service department about this problem, they took picture's and said they will let me know, well as you can tell they never called, since then I have been investigating everywhere and everything possible. I wish I could send you the photo's that I recently took of my Caravan, it's unbelievable! Anyway I am going to fight till hell freezes over on this issue, because I have had 2 dead batteris, 2 tensioner belts, 1 serpentine belt, ac problems, hatch leaking, defective pillar "b" panels which they won't replace, defective runner under roof rails, defective everything!!!!!!!!! DODGE SUCKS!!!!!
  • cajobservercajobserver Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Dodge Grand Caravan just had one headlight go out. When I repleaced it, it only came on at 1/2 brightness and I also noticed opposite side fog light was on w/o the foglight switch being on. If I turn on the foglights, the dim headlight goes out! Any ideas?

Cruise control stopped working awhile ago, and is probably related to the clockspring.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Dodge has NO control over where you drive the vehicle and NO control over where it is parked. Your van was probably exposed to the corrosive effects of contaminated ocean water.

Did you buy the van new?

If the GC was only a year or 2 old you may have a valid complaint. Otherwise, it appears that your 7 year old vehicle suffers more from owner abuse than a problem caused by Dodge.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    Two batteries in a seven year old van? Not bad. Most batteries only last three years tops. Not unusual to have to replace the serpentine belt after seven years either. Think it lasted longer than most. Maybe you should get out the owner's manual and check what needs to be replaced or serviced at certain intervals. Sounds like the van hasn't been taken very good care of. Hatch could be just a worn out rubber seal. Being on top and having the sun beating down on it for years, it's also not unusual for it to get hard and crack.
  • cwilkincwilkin Member Posts: 1
    We had the same thing happen with our 91 minivan (250,000 miles) about 2 weeks ago. Try starting it with starter fluid, if it starts but doesn't run, its the fuel pump in the rear off the fuel tank.

It's a pricey fix, new pump and definitely have them change the fuel filter while they are in there. Good luck
  • neatonickneatonick Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

my girlfriend has a 1993 Plymouth Voyager and every time she backs up, the car starts to buck. However, there is no problem going forward. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest any Possible causes of this problem. I was thinking transmission but i'm not really a car buff. any advice is appreciated.

Neatonick
  • nellynelly Member Posts: 1
    I ALSO HAVE A 97 GRAND CARAVAN. I JUST BOUGHT IT. WHEN I DROVE IT HOME(60 MILES) IT HAD THAN 1/2 TANK OF GAS. THE NEXT DAY I FILLED IT UP AND THE GAS DING/LIGHT CAME ON WHEN I HAD 3/4. SO I FILLED IT UP AGAIN AND STILL THE DARN THING SAID I HAD NO GAS.THE NEEDLE KIND OF DROPS A BIT. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I DRIVE FOR MORE THAN 10MIN. I STILL DON'T KNOW WHY. IT'S BEEN 5DAYS.I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S ELECTRICAL. HAVE YOU SOLVED IT????????

NELLY
  • pondrunpondrun Member Posts: 1
    Have you figure out the eratic fuel gauge problem, if so, please post the fix. I'm having the same problem. I've replaced the fuel sending unit and it did not take care of it and the Cluster test showed no failures. Thanks
  • mark_325imark_325i Member Posts: 29
    Why the screaming? You know, alot of people just pass over posts that are all caps. If you have a question write it normally.
  • autumnautumn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Voyager, which did well for about 44,000 miles. Then I had to have the rotors and front brakes replaced. I went 22,000 miles, and needed them again. Then I went only 6000 miles and needed them again. At that point I complained, and they said perhaps the calipers were sticking, and so I paid to have the calipers replaced, as well as the rotors and brakes again. My adult daughter, who had been out of the country while this was going on, returned at that time, and bought the car from me. She became the sole driver, and 2000 miles later, the brake pads needed to be replaced, and the rotors needed to be machined. The dealer paid for this one, and suggested it was our driving habits, but since each of us was the only driver of the car for one of these periods, I can prove that is not so. Today we had to take it back after only 1,300 miles, because it sounds like the rotors are shot again. I think Chrysler has a problem, and we as consumers need to make them aware of it.

Autumn
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Assuming that you have rear drum brakes, make sure they are properly adjusted. I believe that Chrysler rear brakes are supposed to auto adjust when braking hard while reversing. The rear auto adjusters frequently do not work, especially when vehicle ages or has many miles. It is important that the rear brakes do their share of work, even in a front drive car.On front drive car, one can drive with rear drum brakes not working properly and not know it since the front brakes do most of the work. Find a hilly spot and stop on it, put on parking brake and trans in neutral, release regular footbrake and if car rolls, the drum brakes need adjusting.
  • cclundbergcclundberg Member Posts: 5
    Paul, You can use hand glaze. You can get it at any auto parts store
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Thanks cclundberg. What brand is best?
    McGuires...Your best bet is to go to a detail shop..They may help you out too...
    This has been an intermittent problem for a month...had it at dealer three times, First time they said it was a cluster module, then they said it was the ignition switch then the third time they finally said they didn't know what the problem was because they can't recreate it

I'll be driving down the highway and suddenly the stereo and clock, the fan blower, phone charger (lighter) and the windshield wipers will just shut off. Headlights dim . The light on the "power" and "a/c" buttons are still ON, but there is no fan blowing air.

It seems to happen when its been snowing or raining.....Happens whether I'm using any of those accessories or not.

It usually corrects itself every few minutes, sometimes as much as 15-20 minutes. Once I slow down everything eventually kicks back on. Have attempted to drive to dealer while it was not working, but always comes back on before I get there.... :(

Anyway....has anyone else ever experienced this? Was it ever resolved?

It's a real safety concern when the weather is bad and you loose wipers and heat.

It has the dealership baffled..They say they ran every test under the sun. Hopefully someone can give me and the dealership some help!
    P.S. I have a 2003 Dodge Sport Carivan w/ 33,000 miles
  • coutucoutu Member Posts: 1
    1995 dodge caravan brake lights stuck on when headlights are on also left blinker won't operate when head lights are on. They both operate ok when headlights are off.
  • markswalk1markswalk1 Member Posts: 4
    After replacing the alternator and a fairly new battery Jeep still had the same problem of not charging. An auto electric shop diagnosed the pcm as the problem and the price for one is quite expensive. As a fix he suggested we could install an external voltage regulator but he would not provide any help to how I would install it. The voltage regulator is a Transpo 2 plug electronic type. I have read my Hanes book but it was of no help. Any help, suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  • brian wbrian w Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 3.0L Grand Caravan that have noisy lifters. The rattling goes on for several minutes every morning. The van has 194000 miles. Is this something that should be fixed? I can live with the noise if it is not causing other problems. Also, how long should it take to change the timing belt on this van? Thanks for any input.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    Are you sure it has a timing belt and not a timing chain? Usually have to change a belt after 60,000 miles. Lifters might be adjustable. You could go to a place like Pep Boys and look both up in one of their automotive books that they sell. Read it right in the store.