Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I'd look at an S60 instead. Just as safe as an S80, but smaller and easier to manuever.
    You should be able to find some 01 S60's in the $15,000 range.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I concur with other posts. The S80 is not a car for a 16 years old, unless you will pass your own old one to her.
    If you want Volvo safety - start her with 740, you can get a decent one, that will last for 3-4 years at 3-4K.
    I/ve got one used 4 years ago for my older one, and now it was passed on the younger one. Still runs like a tank.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money on a car for a 16-year-old. But for $15,000, you can get a more realiable and nearly-new ('03 or '04 Certified Used) Accord.

If you're still wanting a Volvo, look at used '99-'01 S70 sedans for half that price.

The S80 isn't for kids. (And I have both).
  • fred28fred28 Member Posts: 1
    I am the new owner of 2000 S80. Just yesterday my rear door locks are not operating at with the remote control or the front door control. I am wondering if anyone else had has this problem or if anyone has a possible solution. Thanks.
  • davidjkcdavidjkc Member Posts: 1
    I was a little tepid coming into ownership of our S80 - I had owned other "high-quality" vehicles, and sort of set the litmus test with a Saab which turned nearly 300,000 miles with very few significant issues (one blown turbo, which although it fell outside the warranty was mostly covered as "good faith" by the dealership - one blown on-board computer which was not covered... and was not pleasant to replace).

At any rate - to vouch for the handling and stability...

The Volvo's ride and presence are largely extensions of the vehicle's heft and it's suspension engineering. Ours is nearly two tons curb weight, but is a joy on "the twisties" (as my kids call the backroads and the mountain passes). The intelligent transmission, the suspension, and the steering feel much more like a 5-series BMW or maybe a very solid Acura than anything I would have imagined. We did opt for a shorter, stiffer profile tire, although not the run-flat, so I can't speak to that.

My folks have had several of the Audi AWD's (all the way back to the 4000/5000 Quattro series), and this vehicle is both quieter than their current A6 and returns better mileage for the same function - and arguably better "feel".

If I had to do over, I might opt for an S-60, but we really wanted the larger car. It's on-road performance really belies its size and weight - the thing is surefooted and more than agile. We're at just under 85,000 and have had one transmission issue (covered under warranty, although we were at 55K) and only yesterday lost a headlamp assembly to a rock thrown up in a construction zone (everything earlier posters said was spot-on - the assembly was $350 and another two and a half hours' labor to put it in). The maintainence schedule is NOT to be taken lightly, but in my own opinion IS largely worth it.

I didn't expect to do so, but I love the car.
  • jolly_amyjolly_amy Member Posts: 1
    I am losing my mind (topic for another forum) and losing my car keys - just lost the key w/remote for my 04 volvo V70 - help - is the dealer the only option? Plz advise. Amy
    In a word, yes only the dealer can replace your key/remote.
  • putput Member Posts: 1
    I don't know much about cars. So I'm asking this.

Is it so incredibly impossible for a STOCK 2000 s80 to run a 14.4 in the quarter mile? Cause my mom's did when I took it to the track..
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    ummmm.... hmmmmmm..... uhhhh.... T6?

Car and Driver got their 2002 Anniversary Edition T6 through the 1/4 mile in 14.6 .... so, no, its not incredibly impossible.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• campscamps Member Posts: 12
    I have to depress my 2.9 accelerator almost to the floor in order to get the car to move forward. Once it moves it develops although slowly but it does not change up or down. It is as if it is in 4th gear all the time. Also there is a message on the instrument panel which says "break failure" SERVICE URGENT. There is also a warning SRS that keeps on all the time. I am not sure if these messages have anything to do with the car not changing up or down or appearing to be in 4th gear all the time. A diagostic check did not highlight the cause of the problem.

Can anyone please help me. Thanks.

Camps
    sorry that i can't help with your specific problem, but, yes, its possible (probable) that everything is connected. The ECU has probably put the car is "limp" mode (decreases the power drastically to keep you from harming yourself or the car until the problem causing the service lights is fixed).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks for your response. However, I have been doing some research and it seems like the car might be in Winter mode. Somehow the Winter mode would not disengage....any thoughts on how you can disengage the Winter mode....I don't see a light on the instrument panel when I try to engage the W button which tells me that the W is not responding. Any thoughts on how I can disengage the W?

Camps
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    I've got a 03 s80, only way i know how to disengage the winter mode is by pushing the 'w' button on the console, by the tranny selector.
    Winter mode still uses more than one gear, however. So if you're tranny is not shifting at all, then I still say its in limp mode. Not being able to change the tranny setting is just another restriction of limp mode.

• ericbroericbro Member Posts: 9
    Saturday my husband went out to start his S80 and got the following messages: Brake Failure--stop safely soon, Check engine light, ABS light and traction control light. This lights all came on when car was started despite no problem previous day.

We got the car towed as we didn't want to take a chance with brakes. Our local mechanic (not a Volvo dealer) ran the diagnostic on the check engine light, and the error was something to the effect of the ABS not signaling the speed the car was going. He cleared the error, and now none of the lights are on.

He said we may have to take it to a dealer to get a full diagnostic, but as of now he's baffled because the lights are not coming back on, the brakes work, and he can not imagine what caused them to come on in the first place. By the way, he's someone we have used for years and totally trust.

Any ideas on what this might be? And by the way, I hope this is the right place to ask the question.

Sue
    Ok, what you say makes sense. Assuming that it is in limp mode, I imagine that to have those messages erased would bring it back out of limp mode. We are therefore back to the original question, how do we clear those messages if the diagnostic tool is not picking up the fault? Is there any way that I can by pass those messages so that the car can come out of limp mode?

Camps
    What are you using to read the codes? Not all readers can pick up all of the codes in a Volvo. For instance, I know I can't read brake codes or climate control codes with my reader in my volvo. AND, this would make sense in your case also since, if you read the message above your last one, you'll see someone who seems to have had a similar problem as you and it turned out to be an ABS code (is your ABS light on, by the way? I didn't see that in your first post.)

In any case, I would take it to someone who can reliably read all of the codes (if you haven't done so). And that would mean either a volvo dealer or experienced independent volvo mechanic.

My ABS light is not on. Actually I took the car to an independent volvo mechnic and I believe that his equipment may not be up to date now that I am reading what you are saying. I wanted to avoid the dealer because of horror prices I have heard for fixes. I guess my back is to the wall and I have no choice now but to do so. Thanks vey much for your advice. I will see how it goes.
    good luck. let us know how you make out.

• ccalaraccalara Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am having the exact problem that you describe. I have been trying to fix this annoying problem since last year (Oct,04). I have the dealer fix it and the knocking noise keeps showing up. Did you ever resolved your problem? What did the dealer fix.

Thanks, Ccalara
  • dbert04dbert04 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! My older brother owns an S80 t6 and he is going away to Europe for the fall, so I get to drive his car until then! Without sounding too silly, I was wondering how you use Geartronic? My guy friend mentioned it to to me that this car had tiptronic, and I looked in the manual for help but it is kinda vague. Basically I'm wondering when your supposed to shift gears up and down - like at the right time and what not (I sort of get the general idea, but I don't want to do anything dumb to mess up the transmission) so if anyone could help explain I would greatly apreciate it. Thanks!
  • westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone have a problem with their power steering shutting down while driving? The dealer has had my car for over a week and cannot find the problem. They cannot duplicate the problem on test drives and therefore said they don't know how to fix it. The power steering will come off and on while driving. Parking with it off is like trying to park a truck with no power steering.
    If you are worried about it, then just leave it in Drive and don't touch the shifter at all. Its not mandatory to manually change the gears ... just an option if you so choose.

• hcorrea228hcorrea228 Member Posts: 11
    Purchasing a refurbed HU-801radio / cd changer to upgrade existing factory installed HU-611. Other than installing one additional speaker for the center channel signal, are there other additional items I would need to get this stereo to function properly?
    Well, the factory surround speakers are different. Also, you will need software to make the radio work.
  • tjhentjhen Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Volvo S80 has 230K kilometers. At times, after driving a long distance and in warm weather the car will suddenly not accelerate as if there is a fuel problem. When this occurs it can completely stall. The "emmission service required" indicator stays on. At all times, I cannot push the pedal to the floor and get the car to accelerate. It requires a slow and easy acceleration. The Volvo serivce manager is baffled especially after replacing the pedal sensor which did not help at all. Thanks.
    Thanks for the response...Regarding the center channel speaker...My current set-up (HU-611)does not include a center speaker under the dashboard grill cover. I have not been able to remove that grill cover, and had a couple of questions:

#1 Is there a speaker housing and wiring/connection for in place under that grill that I can use when I upgrade to the HU-810, or would I need to purchase those as well.

#2 What size speaker fits into that opening.
    Probably have to buy the wiring as well.
    I think you have to pull the dash to get to the center speaker position.
    BTW, how do you plan to handle the software?
    Thanks for the reply...

I was finally able to pull speaker grill off the dashboard, looks like there is a mounting frame and a female connector already in place....May be as easy as buying the speaker, attaching it to the frame and just plugging it in.

Having radio installed by a Volvo dealership...This is a replacement for a broken HU-611 that is still under warranty. Dealer says no labor charge they would have to remove old and install new unit anyway. Software upgrade at no additional charge.
  • venturerventurer Member Posts: 3
    Torque Arm Upper/Engine Mounts/Bearing Shock Absorbers Side and Front?

Any one experiencing these kinds of symptoms? This problem keeps coming back. Any suggestions?
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    If they have replaced the fly-by-wire accelerator assembly, how about the fuel filter and/ or the fuel pump? You can get funny symptoms often irregular with these problems.
    Good luck. doctordick.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,241
    Dumb question I'm sure but, why would there be a need for software for a radio? :confuse: What would the software do? Seem all a radio would need is power. It's not like you program it, just turn it on and off.
    Actually, you need to program the car to accept the radio.
    Please clarify. Why would the car "care"? Like why would my home receiver care if a CD player is connected or not? :confuse:
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    ahhh, if it were only that easy. Your home system, doesn't have hal controling it. The volvo is one big computer, and if the computer doesn't know about it, it ain't going to work.

Dave
    What's to control? The speakers are connected to the back of the radio/amp. How could it not work if there's power, and it is turned on? :confuse:
  • westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
    Has anyone purchased a Volvo through the package where you get a free trip to the factory in Sweden. I was considering this option and was wondering whether the price for the car was comparable to just purchasing a Volvo from a local dealer.
    The Volvo is one big computer. Think about adding a component to your home pc. You need software to tell the computer what to do with the component.

The S80 is programmed to accept only certain approved components. Any other parts have to be programmed in order to work. This includes certain replacement parts like radios.
    Am not arguing with what you say, but to me it seems more like pluging in my radar detector or the cell phone car charger. My C70 could care less if either, both, or neither are pluged in. Give it power, turn it on, it works. How, or more important WHY, would the radio be designed that way?? Just don't understand why any radio wouldn't work it you give it power, input the security code if needed, and turn it on. Still very confused. :confuse:
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    In fact, the situation begs a question. There is a bewilderingly wide variety of peripherals that I can just plug into the USB port of my computer, and within seconds the computer has its number and it is good to go (plug and play). It couldn't be that hard to give a car the same capability, so why don't they?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Took vehicle to local Volvo dealership, they claim there is no such thing as an S80 RSE system with the ability to pick up TV reception. Unable to choose "TV" as source on radio. Reviewed S80 Premier owner's manual supplement. They say they've contacted Volvo, and still do not know how to repair. If a Volvo dealer does not know how to repair, wht the $)#* do I do now.
    Your C70 doesn't use the S80 operating system.
    The C70's electrical system was designed long before the current system was adopted.

The current system was adopted in order to streamline wiring and power functions. Also, to give the cars greater flexibility in upgrading components.
    In alot of cases individual components can be re-programmed instead of replaced.
    In the case of the radio, the security code has been deleted, instead the accompanying software acts as a security device. The car won't recognize a radio for which it doesn't have software.
    Volvomax, any idea what I can do about the TV reception in my S80?? (see prev message)
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    Does anyone know when new of the new s80 will come out and also when it is expected in dealerships.. thanks :shades:
  • jenst6jenst6 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I was wondering if there were any seasoned owners of the T-6 that could make tire recommendations for a newbie? I have a 2001 T-6, bought used as a lease return and will need to replace the dealer installed Falken (17") tires soon. I have been doing some research via tirerack.com and am considering the Bridgestone Turanza due to the reputed low road noise, and all season rating. Any suggestions? Or experiences with tires to avoid? Thank you.
    The only thing that I heard was that some of the S80's were shipped w/ the European TV recievers instead of the N American ones.
    Apparently there is a difference. Have the dealer check what kind of reciever you have.
  • bcn2bcn2 Member Posts: 1
    both filters are very simple to change.
  • pcgoldpcgold Member Posts: 1
    Newbie here. Bought an 02 S80 T6 two months ago and have already cracked the passenger side headlight lens. I've searched this forum and others for info on replacing just the glass. Seems like you have to partially take the bumper cover off. :D
    Does anyone know of an easier way?
    Thanx.
    Nope, you've got to take the bumper off.
  • scathascatha Member Posts: 1
    Yes I am, no I don't.
    I am in the middle of a love/hate relationship with my S80.
    So far I have had them replaced under warranty, but wonder if they will come back around after the warranty has expired.