Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• djohnstdjohnst Member Posts: 1
    This description of the work. WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks very much I saved a bundle.
  • dgarasciadgarascia Member Posts: 2
    Bought out my lease as this has been the most trouble free car I have ever owned. Passed on the $4000 VIP plan.

Should I start using synthetic oil? Can this damage the motor in any way since I have not used it prior?

Should I have the transmission flushed at the dealer? They say NO.

I do all the reccomended service at the delae so the car has been pampered...so to speak.

The dealer claims this motor is the best Volvo ever made. Really? :)
  • r_vargasr_vargas Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I have an 08-S80 which has what appears to be a light under every interior door handle. The dealer is not able to tell me what they are for - can someone please shed some light.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Since you haven't been using synthetic,starting now is probably a waste of money.

Tranny flushes depend on the severity of the operating conditions.
    Your dealer would know best.

The 5 cyl engine has been in service since 1992 and is an excellent motor.
    Hi - I have an 08-S80 which has what appears to be a light under every interior door handle. The dealer is not able to tell me what they are for - can someone please shed some light.

Don't know exactly what you are talking about.
    I have an 07 S80 and it doesn't have any door handle lights.
    I will look at one of our 08's.
  • volvohollvolvoholl Member Posts: 1
    Hi have a 2000 Volvo S80 with about 67,000 mi on. I live in Wisconsin and it was about 17 degrees outside, so it was a cold one. When I turned my car on the defrost made a loud vibrating noise when on high. I could feel the vibrations when I held onto the steering wheel as well. When the heat is on, it does the same thing. This happens when the heat or defrost is turned up more than half way.

Any clue to what this loud vibrating noise is when I turn my heat/defrost on?

Thanks Much!
  • wasabi911wasabi911 Member Posts: 53
    We just leased a 2008 S80 and I was wondering about the same thing. Many luxury cars have lights that light up the interior door handles. In our S80, I also see what look like interior handle lights, but they don't light up. I couldn't find anything on the web about it either.

The interior of this car is much too dark at night for my taste. Compared to other cars, the ceiling LED ambiente lights in the S80 are useless. Is it possible to make them bighter?
    I've never had any problems finding my door handles at night.

I also don't have any complaints about the interior illumination.
    Sometimes, I turn down the instrument lights.

FAIK, there isn't any way to change the ambient light level.
    I visited my Volvo dealer this weekend and the service department told me that those lights under the door handles don't light up - they don't know why they are there. However, one sales person told me that with a software upgrade the volvo sign on the door frame will light up maybe that is part of that system.
  • twindy1twindy1 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 S80 and have a "pop" when my cars makes some turns. Two dealers say this is the wheel stops and is normal on hard turns. However, I will hear the pop at times when making a normal turn, not a hard turn. Dealer can not find anything wrong, but this just doesn't seem right to me. It is very annoying. Of course, like all sounds, it doesn't do it for the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I've had both - Buy the Audi.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    that post was nearly 7 years ago. I'd wager the buyer made a decision by now. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• brad26brad26 Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same issue. the dealer in Salt Lake City had solved it once before and solved it on my car. Pop occurs when turning over a gutter or other depression and getting the wheels at different heights.
  • brad26brad26 Member Posts: 2
    I learned to my dismay after having a flat tire that the 2007 S 80 does not have a spare tire of any type. I consider this a serious oversight and potentially hazardous on a car that promotes safety features. The dealer didn't mention it and I haven't read much about this issue. Other Volvos do have a spare tire. Roadside assistance can't help without the spare and their only option is to tow the car to an authorized Volvo dealer, but there is only 1 in Utah. This could lead to a tow of hundreds of miles and some danger being stranded somewhere. The jack and tools are in the car. I advise all to buy the spare tire as the inflator kit is confusing and may not solve the particular problem and a tow could be inconvenient and time consuming (esp. if weekend and dealer is closed).
    Only the V8 came without a spare.
    For 2008 all S80's have a spare.
  • familyshopperfamilyshopper Member Posts: 3
    Looking at buying 04 S80 with 90,000 miles. Previous 1 owner car. Dealer asking $11950. Love the safety, but worried about miles. Any thoughts?? :)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    that's a heck of a lot of car for a teen!

which engine?

in any case, you might shop around for an S60 instead.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• johntcallahajohntcallaha Member Posts: 10
    Got my blades at Sam's Club. Check catalog hanging near wipers. Driver's side is one inch longer that passenger side. They :) work fine.
    Seeking advice for best replacement tires.
    Define "best"
    Best performance?
    Best price?
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    Thanks, John.

I found refills at Autozone. They are Anco N22R and N24R. $6 for a pkg of 2 of each length. Found an easy way to remove the old refills-use a sharp knife to cut back about 1/2" to where the clip fits in a recess in the blade. I did have to slightly spread the clips on one wiper blade, but not on the other one.

Did Sam's have refills or the blade assembly? On my S80, the drivers side blade is 24" and pass side is 22"
    My wife reported that immediately after filling the gas tank, the car would not start. No sound, nothing when key was turned. A message
    "starting failed, please try again" came up. She tried a second time and nothing. On the third try, it started normally.

I just started the car at home and it started normally. Checked for any stored error codes or messages and it said "0 messages".

It is a 2003 S80 with 30,000 miles and has been trouble free.

Has anyone experienced this or know what would cause it?

Thanks,
    Hi,
    Glad to hear of the refills at Autozone. At Sam's they only had the complete wiper. On the lengths I was quoting from memory so I'm sure you are correct. I saved my old wiper blades because they have the wing that helps hold the blade against the glass surface. Thanks for the info. :)
    John,
    I gave the wrong part numbers for the wiper refills. They should be W22R and W24R. First, I tried the N refills and they were too loose.

The other stores showed the N series would fit. They will go in but are very loose.
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    I'm thinking about leasing an 08 FWD S80 w/climate pkg. I was offered a teriffic deal but have one concern. I'm coming out of a Lexus ES330. Will I be really disappointed with the ride and comfort? I (and my back) do enjoy a comfortable and quiet ride. The new ES350 which has a lower MSRP is much higher to lease. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    If you are looking for a cquiet comfortable ride with the best seats for comfort, no you won't be sorry. I am on my second S80 (2000 and 2007) and bought my last one again due to the comfort. My firends comment on how comfortable the seats are and how quiet the car is. In the 200, I drove on one trip over 600 miles and 10 hours behind the wheel in one day. When I arrived, my back didn't hurt at all. I was the only driver, so no one to help. :)
  • hagop50hagop50 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me what white pearl metallic looks like. We are going to buy either a 2005 or 2006 2.5T. My wife does not want white, but am not sure if the pearl looks different. We have not seen the color and the pictures on the net look like white.
    Would really appreciate your thoughts.
    Also, is there any reason to buy a 2005 versus a 2006 from a reliabilty stand-point.
    I am pretty sure that Pearl wan't available on the 2.5T.

I think it was last available in the 04 T6.
  • hagop50hagop50 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you volvomax.

Any thoughts on 2005 versus 2006? I know it is the same car but some years do better than others.
    I guess I should have said "recommended" based on forum readers experience. Both price and performance are a consideration. Originals were Michelin and according to reviews at Tire Rack they are least desirable.
    Thanks
  • wasabi911wasabi911 Member Posts: 53
    we replaced our 2005 es330 with a 2008 s80 t6 and the volvo is much better than the lexus in every way. and considering the cheaper lease deals compared to the new es350, the volvo is a steal. the lexus drives like a camry while the volvo drives like a luxury car - smoother and quieter.
    Actually, the Michelins are great tires.
    However, because of their treadwear rating, they tend to wear out in 30,000 miles or so.
    They are quiet and provide great ride and handling.

If you want something that lasts longer, try Falkens or Nitto's.
    They are noisier however.
    Both are great cars.
    There weren't any changes between 05 and 06.
  • smw104smw104 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to replace lenses?
    I have used Pirellis for years as replacement tires and have been very happy with them. They are quiet and last longer, handle well.....
    Thanks for the responses. Decided on Goodyear Eagles as the best replacement for my purposes. $180.00 each at a local tire shop, but warranted for 70,000 mi. Discovered a bent rim in the process, another $200.00 for a remanufactured rim, thanks to our deplorable roads in New York State. :sick:
  • itawesitawes Member Posts: 13
    Don't get the 2005. I have the T6 and the turning radius is terrible. Has something to do with how the engine is mounted. You have to back up at least once to get into a normal parking stall at the mall.
    06 S80 turning radius is no different.
    Have to go w/ the new 07 body if you want a much better turning radius.
  • volvowalt13volvowalt13 Member Posts: 12
    My S80 T6 just turned 90000 miles. I bought the car 3 years ago and have put 30K on it. Its a great ride, but I have had some issues. I had to replace the brake booster at about 75K.

I am going to do the oil change and plugs. Should I do anything else special?

Thanks
    Walt
    Check the timing belt
    On 2003 S 80, the black vinyl trim is starting to crack and peel at the edge of the drivers side door frame. At first, I thought someone had tried to insert a coathanger to steal the car, but closer inspection looks like it is peeling. Car has 32k miles and always garaged.

Anyone else had this experience? Fix, rather than complete replacement?
    My 99 S80 T6 has the same issue. I thought the same thing that you did. My car is out side all the time.
    Doors can be re-taped.
    It's not expensive.
  • usedcar4usedcar4 Member Posts: 1
    1999 Volvo S80 Turbo

Suddenly over the past 3 months, Message of Add Coolant comes on. It seems to run ok. You can smell the raditor when this happens. I add coolant and the light goes off. Coolant is never on the ground??

Does anyone else know what is going on.
    Check the coolant bottle for cracks.
    Or it could be the radiator has a small leak.
    I have a 99 S80 T6 and I had the same issue. I had the
    over flow bottle replaced...and then the thermostat..
    Still have a small issue....but it still goes....and its paid for!!
  • warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    I had a 2006 Volvo S40 and I am looking for an upgrade luxury sedan. I am looking th new Volvo S80 or a BMW series 5. I know this is a Volvo discussion room but I will trust in your honestly opinions..... Any BMW driver that moved to a Volvo lately ????
  • airplane_guyairplane_guy Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering a 2008 Volvo S80 3.2 purchase in the next month or so. I thought I read in one of these forums that S80s no longer come with a spare tire? Also, after reading about some of the mechanical issues with slightly older S80s, I wonder what the reliability of a 2008 S80 would be. Would love to hear from folks with current experience and even "Volvomax" for his opinion as well.
    One of the options I am considering is the Sports package. Does this really make a great difference in handling or riding comfort?
    Even me!
    Wow.
    2008 S80 DOES come w/ a spare.
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know how to turn off the service reminder on the 2007 S80? That is, except by going to the Volvo dealer for service.

Thanks for your help! doctor dick.