Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• we replaced our 2005 es330 with a 2008 s80 t6 and the volvo is much better than the lexus in every way. and considering the cheaper lease deals compared to the new es350, the volvo is a steal. the lexus drives like a camry while the volvo drives like a luxury car - smoother and quieter.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Actually, the Michelins are great tires.
    However, because of their treadwear rating, they tend to wear out in 30,000 miles or so.
    They are quiet and provide great ride and handling.

If you want something that lasts longer, try Falkens or Nitto's.
    They are noisier however.
    Both are great cars.
    There weren't any changes between 05 and 06.
  • Does anyone know how to replace lenses?
  • I have used Pirellis for years as replacement tires and have been very happy with them. They are quiet and last longer, handle well.....
  • Thanks for the responses. Decided on Goodyear Eagles as the best replacement for my purposes. $180.00 each at a local tire shop, but warranted for 70,000 mi. Discovered a bent rim in the process, another $200.00 for a remanufactured rim, thanks to our deplorable roads in New York State. :sick:
  • itawesitawes Posts: 13
    Don't get the 2005. I have the T6 and the turning radius is terrible. Has something to do with how the engine is mounted. You have to back up at least once to get into a normal parking stall at the mall.
    06 S80 turning radius is no different.
    Have to go w/ the new 07 body if you want a much better turning radius.
  • My S80 T6 just turned 90000 miles. I bought the car 3 years ago and have put 30K on it. Its a great ride, but I have had some issues. I had to replace the brake booster at about 75K.

I am going to do the oil change and plugs. Should I do anything else special?

Thanks
    Walt
    Check the timing belt
  • tulsahogtulsahog Posts: 64
    On 2003 S 80, the black vinyl trim is starting to crack and peel at the edge of the drivers side door frame. At first, I thought someone had tried to insert a coathanger to steal the car, but closer inspection looks like it is peeling. Car has 32k miles and always garaged.

Anyone else had this experience? Fix, rather than complete replacement?
  • My 99 S80 T6 has the same issue. I thought the same thing that you did. My car is out side all the time.
    Doors can be re-taped.
    It's not expensive.
  • usedcar4usedcar4 Posts: 1
    1999 Volvo S80 Turbo

Suddenly over the past 3 months, Message of Add Coolant comes on. It seems to run ok. You can smell the raditor when this happens. I add coolant and the light goes off. Coolant is never on the ground??

Does anyone else know what is going on.
    Check the coolant bottle for cracks.
    Or it could be the radiator has a small leak.
  • I have a 99 S80 T6 and I had the same issue. I had the
    over flow bottle replaced...and then the thermostat..
    Still have a small issue....but it still goes....and its paid for!!
  • I had a 2006 Volvo S40 and I am looking for an upgrade luxury sedan. I am looking th new Volvo S80 or a BMW series 5. I know this is a Volvo discussion room but I will trust in your honestly opinions..... Any BMW driver that moved to a Volvo lately ????
  • I am seriously considering a 2008 Volvo S80 3.2 purchase in the next month or so. I thought I read in one of these forums that S80s no longer come with a spare tire? Also, after reading about some of the mechanical issues with slightly older S80s, I wonder what the reliability of a 2008 S80 would be. Would love to hear from folks with current experience and even "Volvomax" for his opinion as well.
    One of the options I am considering is the Sports package. Does this really make a great difference in handling or riding comfort?
    Even me!
    Wow.
    2008 S80 DOES come w/ a spare.
  • Does anyone know how to turn off the service reminder on the 2007 S80? That is, except by going to the Volvo dealer for service.

Thanks for your help! doctor dick.
  • jpfivejpfive Posts: 37
    -Ignition position I
    -Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
    -Ignition position II within 2 seconds.
    -Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset.
    -Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
    -If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds. If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.
  • iknow1iknow1 Posts: 7
    Hi all, i enjoy my 2000 S80,2.9. it has 156k miles. no major problems. but for now. my check engine light is on and the message engine service required. It rides rough and the engine hesitates when i step on the gas. it is as if the engine is grasping for air. What do i need to do to get rid of this problem. i would like to service it myself. thanks.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,540
    there is absolutely no way anybody can tell you what is wrong without at least reading the codes that are making your lights come on. If I were you, I'd be visiting the dealer or a dedicated volvo mechanic ASAP.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

I don't think that works for the new S80.
  • Thanks, JPFive. Tried your suggestion, but since I have the "keyless" system I can't get it to work.

Get a "162" in the cluster where messages appear, but the same reminder persists when I restart.

Appreciate any other help you can give me! Thanks, doctor dick.
  • kvw1kvw1 Posts: 1
    Hi, Can anyone tell me how to reset the average mpg . Please Help.
    Thanks.
  • volvowalt13volvowalt13 Posts: 12
    I have a 99 S80 T6 that this error message comes up.
    How can I turn it off....just reset it.
    HELP!
    Why do you want to reset it?
    Get the car fixed fer cryin out loud.

Actually, you can't reset it.
    Has to be done via a VADIS or VIDA hookup.
    Might be able to read the code w/ an OBD reader.
  • itawesitawes Posts: 13
    I have a 2005 S80 and recently looked at the BMW 5 series as a second car. The Volvo gives you more value for your money. THe ride and handling on my T6 is smoother and not as firm as the BMW and prefer the Volvo. Also looked at the Jaguar XJ8 and that is a fantastic riding car. Wish I could afford it.
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Posts: 32
    I am in the market for a pre-owned and would really like to go with a Volvo. Thinking S80 AWD 2.5 04, 05 or 06. Also thinking S60 same years. Opinions?
    Is premium gas a must for all?
    Also, I understand the T6 is not as reliable as the 2.5?