Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• Hi,

I've been experiencing random electrical issues with my '99 S80-T6. First the dipped/low beams would not come on when I started the engine and then would come on within a few minutes of driving. Then they wouldn't come on at all. I even tried swapping the fuse indicated in the manual with a spare to no avail. Since it was raining at the time, I guessed that I had some sort of short that was exacerbated by the moisture in the air, but the same issue occurred days later when it was dry out.

Other random messages received are "Coolant Level Low" which also disappeared after a few minutes and then would appear intermittently. Most recent was a message indicating the failure of my position lights.

The frustrating thing about all of these errors is that they don't last and the time it would take to get the car to the dealer, they would disappear/correct themselves.

I did have my mechanic look for the issue at my last oil change and they said they didn't find anything. I am also concerned that my wire guides/casing in the engine compartment are rather corroded and crumbling at this point.

Any suggestions on what might be causing these random and intermittent issues?

Thanks.
  • I cannot comment on any but "Coolant level low" message. I have had this message on both my '04 S 80 and my current '07 S80. Apparently, the fluid level sensor is very sensitive, and a slightly low level gives this reading. Adding a bit of coolant remedies this problem.

The others are beyond my experience and knowledge.

Good luck with the rest. I have to add I love my current car.
  • I got rid of my S80 after I discovered that the Volvo myth is exactly that, a myth. I just couldn't afford the costs and the unreliability, plus the scarcity of reputable garages. I bought a Ford that works fine and there is a garage in every hamlet. Goodbye FOREVER Volvo! :sick:
  • I had to have a new battery installed. Now, the odometer reading won't show. Can't find anything in book on how to get it to display. What do we need to do? Thanks for the help!

horseygal
  • 2002 Volvo S80 with 73,000 miles: This exact same thing just happened to me. I was doing around 45MPH and the engine died and the message came up with “”engine performance reduced”
    I pulled over and shut it off… waited a few minutes and tried again and it was like nothing ever happened…. Ran fine.
    I was thinking maybe bad gas or clogged fuel injectors?? I was checking the web to look up this message to try to determine root cause…
    If you find out what caused this, I would sure like to know (or maybe its time for a trade in)
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    2 possibilities, Electronic throttle malfunction of Mass Airflow Sensor malfunction.
    You should have your dealer look at the data.
  • I'm considering getting a 2010 S80 AWD T6. How reliable are Volvos these days?
    The last Volvo I has was a 850R which aside from the low profile tires blowing out every 5,000 miles it was a very reliable car.

I'm coming from a BMW 528i that has had its share of problems. Stranded me on the road once and some smaller tire/electronic problems.
  • harry28harry28 Posts: 29
    I'm at my last month of a 2 year lease 2008 S80. Not a single problem. Ironically I'm looking into leasing a BMW 528i. What year was you BMW that you had the problems with?
  • It's a 2008. 24 month lease and at 6 months old it stranded me on the road when the electronic transmission went out. Something to do with the control board they told me. Also my friend had a 535ix wagon 2007 that the sunroof wouldn't close on 2 different occasions and spent a few days in the shop each time. He now has a Lexus GS but has said the BMW is better driving car.

That said they are running incredible lease deals on the 5 series right now since they are redesigning it for next year. BMW makes the best handling cars in the world. I've own many cars and for a sedan it is an incredible car if you can put up with the quirks.
  • dasa1dasa1 Posts: 3
    I love my 09 S80 T6 AWD, been driving it 13,000 miles, tho lately been having a whirring sound in the transmission going up hills, will have it checked out soon. Other than that, it has been great. Previously, I had 07 BMW 525xi for three years, never had a problem, other than tight steering and bumpy ride that led me to choose the S80 this time. No regrets for the ride quality.
  • I would consider Volvo a reliable car. I have a 2000 S80, 180,000 miles and no major problems to date.
  • The new Volvo warrantee is what could lean you to a new Volvo if the S80 has the coverage.

I just traded in my 2002 S80 for a 2009 C30 T5 and the warrantee covers everything except for gas and tires for 5 years 60,000 miles.
    The one I bought was a loaner and had 4,000 miles but they took off $6000 off the price. This C30 is a fast, great handling little car that is really fun to drive.
    My S80 had some problems in the past but covered with the warrantee… This was my 2nd S80 and for the most part, both very reliable…Gotta love a warrantee!!!
    Also had a 1995 940 Turbo that had 175,000 miles and only replaced the radiator ... Volvo's run forever if you keep the oil changed....
  • I drive a 2008 528 with Sports Package- never an issue, handles like a dream, The 5 series is rock solid but the 528 engine is a little timid from a standing start. On the open road the car just eats up the miles. If you drive a lot- I highly recommend any version of it.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    What to look for/be careful about? I come from a generation of owning Japanese cars - the only American car I owned, gave me no end of trouble. I am attracted to Volvo for ride comfort, ease of entry and exit, space (family of four) and a dash of driving fun. Too much to ask? Why do people buy a Volvo nowadays when all cars are equally safe?
    Thanks all. Also, I would not mind somebody trying to knock some sense into me.
  • I'd sure steer clear of any S 80. My 03 w/ less than 50 k's was nothing but trouble. Stay with the Asian cars! My opinion.
  • I have a 1999 S80 T6 with 105K on it. I was in Northern Michigan when my brake booster went bad. I put a used one on and know I have my brake lite on and my ABS lite on. I have the message on "brake failure"

Any thoughts?
  • Volvo, like all manufacturers makes occasional lemons. However, as I have said repeatedly, I have been very pleased with all three S 80's I have owned. My current '07 AWD V8 drives like a jewel. Volvos are not cheap to maintain, but I believe most are happy with them.
  • I just bought four new 225/50 R17 tires for my daughter's 1999 S80 T6 and they are rubbing on the turns. That is the size tire called out by Volvo for that car (even printed inside the gas cap door). What's up? I can't believe it's a shock / strut issue.
  • my s80 has 16 in. tires; I didnt see a requirement for 17in. anywhere.
    What size of tires were on before? You should replace with the exact size.
  • My 2008 S-80 has 225/50/17 tires on 17 in rims. If your tires are rubbing on turns & its a 1999 and you have never replaced those struts, suggest you look into replacing them . Struts nor shocks ;ast forever at 11 years old I 'd say you got your moneys worth out of them!!!
    :blush:

GLTA
  • delco tried to come up with a test for warranty. they found over 200 problems that would keep a 12 storage battery from working correctly. capcity in a battery is lost with age, up to 1/2 at four years. leave your lights on for 10 minutes, the car starts fine, put a five year old battery in a car and in 10 minutes with the lights on the car won't start. the battery will only start the car so many times, then it is dead. there is no one answer to when a battery should be replaced!!!!! five years is a reasonable life. if a door, trunk, is left open partially, will kill a old battery very quickly, a good quality newer battery will start her car. she would have a very very hard time jump starting a car.
  • tc99mtc99m Posts: 11
    I have two 2007 S80 V8 (keyless drive). The one my wife drives is working fine but the one I dirve has been towed to the dealership 3 times already. I guess my luck is 50/50 :blush:

The 3 times were:
    1. Could not start the car due to computer crashed - dealership reset computer and updated the computer software.
    2. "Oil level low, Fill engine oil" warning - dealership replace faulty oil sensor.
    3. Same warning happened about a year later - dealership replaced senor and harness for the wiring.

I received a letter from Volvo last year to extend the warranty on the car's computer/software to 10 years free of charge.

Beside the computer/software problem, both my wife and I are happy with both cars. I believe there are lots of computers and electrical components running the car, so one of them can die... (kind of remind me when the memory died on my computer).

Since cars are designed by humans, there are going be flaws. It doesn't matter if you own a Swedish, US, German, or Japanese car (like the Toyota/Honda recalls). We bought Volvo because of its safety, otherwise I may just get a Geo Metro ;)

My suggestion is to get an extended warranty, if one can afford it. :shades:
  • adr1725adr1725 Posts: 2
    Hi
    Does anyone know what is the correct fuel pressure on a 2002 S80?

Thanks. :sick:
  • epfriscoepfrisco Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the S80 will get a redesign, presumably along the lines of the S60?

TIA, ep
  • vic567vic567 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 volvo s80 with 187,000 miles on it. On the way home from a trip the check engine light and an emissions error showed on the screen. Since I was on a dark strech of highway and it was an emissions error I kept going to the next exit where the car died and would not restart. I had the car towed to the dealer in my hometown where I waited for 3 days for them to check the car. They have told me the something to do with the timing caused a cylinder to hit a piston and I have big problems. Why was the error that showed an emissions error and not timing? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the dealer or if this problem is even possible, since they won't even give me a complete report and they have been "checking the car out" for the past 5 hours.
  • I need a replacement battery for a Volvo S80 2.9 T6. We haven't been driving the piece of garbage because the suspension has eaten itself several times at an average cost of $1500 each time. Then there's the driver's side window which bound up and destroyed itself twice. The part alone cost $378 dollars not to mention the labor.

So, since we've not been driving the car the battery completely died. I borrowed a friends battery charger, but the battery is truly dead.

Just got back from Walmart. They don' t have one. I've looked on the net and am not really finding anything.

Does anyone know if there is a non-Volvo battery that fits this car? I want to spend the least amount possible. I need only to get the thing started so that I can get it somewhere to sell it as junk (yes, it's in that bad a shape)..

Thanks in advance.
  • woodinvawoodinva Posts: 17
    The only battery you can get for that car comes from a Lincoln dealer or a Volvo dealer, the Lincoln Battery cost $290. :cry: Not sure what the Volvo one costs..(the Lincoln LS was based on the Volvo S80 platform & has its battery in the trunk also with a special vent hose which MUST be installed.
  • c650c650 Posts: 8
    Any thoughts on why/how the EPA HWY mpg estimate jumped from 25 to 27 for the 2010 model year? Looking to put up to 40,000 miles a year on the car, it would make a difference in my purchase decision.
  • I have good news for anyone looking for a reasonably priced battery for an S80.

You can get a two year battery at O'Reilly Automotive made by Interstate (the company that makes the battery Volvo and Lincoln sell) for $98 plus tax.

Since all I wanted to do was get the car running so that I could get rid of it that was perfect.

Thanks for your reply though. I wouldn't have know about this, but a friend of mine is a former Volvo mechanic and still works on them. He always knows how to get around Volvo's insane prices where possible.
  • doctordickdoctordick Posts: 36
    Just curious if anyone with a V 8 has had any problems with the engine and what peoples experience has been re: extended warranties.

I am at 40K miles and 3 years on warranty and am thinking about the future. Since I really love the car and would like to keep it for a good bit I am peering ahead to see if I should consider other options.

Any advice from out there in the ether??