Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• evadzdrofevadzdrof Member Posts: 1
    delco tried to come up with a test for warranty. they found over 200 problems that would keep a 12 storage battery from working correctly. capcity in a battery is lost with age, up to 1/2 at four years. leave your lights on for 10 minutes, the car starts fine, put a five year old battery in a car and in 10 minutes with the lights on the car won't start. the battery will only start the car so many times, then it is dead. there is no one answer to when a battery should be replaced!!!!! five years is a reasonable life. if a door, trunk, is left open partially, will kill a old battery very quickly, a good quality newer battery will start her car. she would have a very very hard time jump starting a car.
  • tc99mtc99m Member Posts: 11
    I have two 2007 S80 V8 (keyless drive). The one my wife drives is working fine but the one I dirve has been towed to the dealership 3 times already. I guess my luck is 50/50 :blush:

The 3 times were:
    1. Could not start the car due to computer crashed - dealership reset computer and updated the computer software.
    2. "Oil level low, Fill engine oil" warning - dealership replace faulty oil sensor.
    3. Same warning happened about a year later - dealership replaced senor and harness for the wiring.

I received a letter from Volvo last year to extend the warranty on the car's computer/software to 10 years free of charge.

Beside the computer/software problem, both my wife and I are happy with both cars. I believe there are lots of computers and electrical components running the car, so one of them can die... (kind of remind me when the memory died on my computer).

Since cars are designed by humans, there are going be flaws. It doesn't matter if you own a Swedish, US, German, or Japanese car (like the Toyota/Honda recalls). We bought Volvo because of its safety, otherwise I may just get a Geo Metro ;)

My suggestion is to get an extended warranty, if one can afford it. :shades:
  • adr1725adr1725 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    Does anyone know what is the correct fuel pressure on a 2002 S80?

Thanks. :sick:
  • epfriscoepfrisco Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the S80 will get a redesign, presumably along the lines of the S60?

TIA, ep
  • vic567vic567 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 volvo s80 with 187,000 miles on it. On the way home from a trip the check engine light and an emissions error showed on the screen. Since I was on a dark strech of highway and it was an emissions error I kept going to the next exit where the car died and would not restart. I had the car towed to the dealer in my hometown where I waited for 3 days for them to check the car. They have told me the something to do with the timing caused a cylinder to hit a piston and I have big problems. Why was the error that showed an emissions error and not timing? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the dealer or if this problem is even possible, since they won't even give me a complete report and they have been "checking the car out" for the past 5 hours.
  • volvohater1volvohater1 Member Posts: 2
    I need a replacement battery for a Volvo S80 2.9 T6. We haven't been driving the piece of garbage because the suspension has eaten itself several times at an average cost of $1500 each time. Then there's the driver's side window which bound up and destroyed itself twice. The part alone cost $378 dollars not to mention the labor.

So, since we've not been driving the car the battery completely died. I borrowed a friends battery charger, but the battery is truly dead.

Just got back from Walmart. They don' t have one. I've looked on the net and am not really finding anything.

Does anyone know if there is a non-Volvo battery that fits this car? I want to spend the least amount possible. I need only to get the thing started so that I can get it somewhere to sell it as junk (yes, it's in that bad a shape)..

Thanks in advance.
  • woodinvawoodinva Member Posts: 19
    The only battery you can get for that car comes from a Lincoln dealer or a Volvo dealer, the Lincoln Battery cost $290. :cry: Not sure what the Volvo one costs..(the Lincoln LS was based on the Volvo S80 platform & has its battery in the trunk also with a special vent hose which MUST be installed.
  • c650c650 Member Posts: 8
    Any thoughts on why/how the EPA HWY mpg estimate jumped from 25 to 27 for the 2010 model year? Looking to put up to 40,000 miles a year on the car, it would make a difference in my purchase decision.
  • volvohater1volvohater1 Member Posts: 2
    I have good news for anyone looking for a reasonably priced battery for an S80.

You can get a two year battery at O'Reilly Automotive made by Interstate (the company that makes the battery Volvo and Lincoln sell) for $98 plus tax.

Since all I wanted to do was get the car running so that I could get rid of it that was perfect.

Thanks for your reply though. I wouldn't have know about this, but a friend of mine is a former Volvo mechanic and still works on them. He always knows how to get around Volvo's insane prices where possible.
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    Just curious if anyone with a V 8 has had any problems with the engine and what peoples experience has been re: extended warranties.

I am at 40K miles and 3 years on warranty and am thinking about the future. Since I really love the car and would like to keep it for a good bit I am peering ahead to see if I should consider other options.

Any advice from out there in the ether??
  • 2s80t62s80t6 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased 2- 2000 t6's. one with 85,000 & the other with 160.000 miles. Both had very detailed service records. I'm currently "shaking" down any issues needing attention.

The number one problem I'm facing is loss of coolant in both cars under the same driving tests. I have checked the oil dip sticks and can't detect any coolant in the oil (which is fresh).

I am going to do the timing, and accessory belts/pulley's, water pump, thermostat & gasket on both cars just to be safe.

What else should I check to stop these coolant problems?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....
    :confuse:
  • puzzled13puzzled13 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would be smart when I bought an extended warranty from Warranty Gold for my 2001 Volvo S80. I bought the car used and I didn't want to chance a large repair bill. I love my car and I haven't needed to use the extended warranty until very recently. Well, I apparently waited too long between a slightly early oil change and a slightly delayed oil change (9000 miles) that enabled the warranty to be denied for an electrical part replacement to be paid. I had a failed alarm siren that caused my flashers to engage after I locked the car.
    The service department told me that this was the first time that they had needed to send in my service records for any of the 180 extended warranty programs that they work with here in Seattle. And they were as astonished as I was that an electrical part was not covered because of an oil change. I spent $2200 but the $347 was disallowed.
    I hope all of you are more careful.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    It sounds from your experience that the extended warranty is a real rip-off.

Anyone concerned that Volvo is now a Red Chinese company?

What is that going to do for quality moving forward? I think that just about everything I ever bought that was made in Red China has been the absolute worst junk I have ever experienced from electronics to shoes to dog food and everything in between! Absolute trash!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Do people really still say Red China?

China is a country that can manufacture to whatever specification you want. If you want cheap, they will build cheap. If you want quality, they will build quality.

As for Volvo, I see this as an opportunity for Volvo to get the financing they need to stay competitive. I doubt we'll see Volvo's become cheapened as they have a certain stature to maintain. The plan is for Volvos for consumption outside of China to made in Sweden and Belgium as they are today. Volvos for the Chinese market will be made in China as it has become the world's largest auto market.

You will see Chinese made components in Volvos - just like in every brand sold in the United States. That's just a fact of the marketplace.
  • unhappy99unhappy99 Member Posts: 17
    edited September 2010
    Hello,

My rear brake lights stopped working yesterday; I replaced the 2 (1156) bulbs but same problem. I checked the other bulbs but they seem ok; I cannot drive until I get this problem fixed. Is there a fuse/sensor that controls rear brakes?
    Many thanks for any help.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Yes, there are those of us who do not have short memories that still realize, despite its so-called "free economic zones," that China is indeed still Red.

As for quality, I have yet to see ANY product from there that was not grossly inferior to non-Chinese counterparts, whether it is electronics, clothing, pet food, window fasteners, children's toys, and on and on. Not only are their goods inferior but many of them are downright dangerous, i.e. toxic - pet food, toys, etc. I see no reason why their cars should not also be inferior and defective.

Volvo is running a BIG risk in coming under the umbrella of the "People's Republic." I know I would not touch a Volvo with a ten foot pole.

The fact that there are Chinese components in all or nearly all new cars may be the reason that Subaru Outbacks have steering issues, BMW 5 series cars are pulling to the right, Hyundai Santa Fes have defective transmissions, etc. The more Red Chinese made parts in the car, the more likely there will be mechanical problems.

As a case in point, I just had the brake shoes and rotors changed on my Subaru Outback. I was told the brake rotors were all now being made in Red China and they were JUNK. They could be expected to last far shorter lives than rotors made five or ten years ago which were of far better metallurgy than the junky Chinese rotors. The service technician actually used the work "junk" when referring to them. He said they were so bad they could not even be machined once and had to be replaced with new units when they warped, which could be expected to be experienced much sooner than with older, quality rotors.

So, yes, there is plenty of evidence that Red Chinese car parts are inferior and I dare say consequently that the more of these parts a car has nowadays the more likely it is to give its owners mechanical problems before very long.
    Well then I say blame Subaur for specifying and accepting those inferior parts.

As I said, a company can specify the level of quality that is built into their product. My company sells lots of Chinese as well as Korean, India, Mexican, European and American made products.

Some of it is junk and some of it is excellent (no matter the country source) . It all depends on what the brand has specified and what the consumer demanded. Unfortuntantely, it's the latter that typically drives quality down. We as consumer want products as cheap as possible and we are willing to accept whatever junk is handed to us. Blame it on Wal-Mart and Home Depot.
  • youngdude27youngdude27 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where to find a cheap radiator online for my 1999 Volvo S80 with Turbo? My radiator tank has been leaking for two months and I tried so many things to patch it but it's just getting worse. I didn't want to spend the money to replace it since I'm selling the car but I guess I have to. All I need is a simple radiator that will work, I don't care if it's used or new.

Thanks
  • drcosdrcos Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Volvo S80. Recently the directionals stop displaying on the dash. At first it corrected itself in 5 minutes or so, now it takes longer or works at startup and then stops. Volvo tried to fix this, and took the dash off and tightened things. It worked for a day. They tell me that I will need to replace a $1000 computer module. It must be easier?
  • drcosdrcos Member Posts: 2
  • jerome46jerome46 Member Posts: 10
    CHECK THE FUSE BOX... sounds like you have a blown fuse.... anyway im trying to find a history report for my s80 volvo 2000 is there a way you can help me out
    my vin#yv1ts90d3y11233550
    go IPDUSA VOLVO PART they sell all type oem volvo parts , recomende PBR dustless pads and ATE rotors their price is very affordable bettter than dealer parts..
    my vin number is YV1TS90D3Y1123550....thank you
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    That isn't a service we provide here. If you're asking about the CarFax report, well... they charge a fee for that service - if someone has an account, it's not meant to be used for others.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

try Kragen or AUTOzone or IPDUSAVOLVO.COM ,SEARS AUTOMOTIVE
    interstate batteries are good ....they will check your battery if its still good to be recharge...to recharge it it wont cost arm and leg....
    ok ..is there any public record or title research ,or history records i can use...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Not to find the accident or repair history of your specific vehicle, no. However, if you have a good relationship with your dealership, you might ask them. Did you recently purchase your vehicle?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hello,

I would like to replace my front brakes completely and I want to purchase it online.
    I see they have 2 sizes for rotors- 11" and 12". Could any one work for my car (S80-t6)? Also, I am thinking of getting the Brembo brand. Are they good? Many thanks.
    I did check the Fuse box and found a blown fuse. Thanks.
    With regards to vehicle records, only if the car was serviced by Volvo then you may know. How many owners before you? The less the owners the more accurate your records may be.
    I noticed my gas mileage is getting poorer by the day.
    For example, half tank gave me only 250 km before the gas light came on.
    Anyone know how I may improve the mileage. I just replaced my spark plugs and I am very soft on the pedal. Thanks.
    CHECK TIRE PRESSURE , MAKE SURE EVERYTHING THE SAME , and also check the air filter ....when you drive all windows are all up ..wind drag will give you poor gas mileage ...
    check with NAPA auto parts they do sell rebuilt radiator , it goods new....
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    After turning off an '03 S80, there was a constant buzzing sound which seemed to be coming from the area under the air filter. After maybe 8-10 minutes it stopped. This same buzzing happened a couple of years ago, one time, but stopped in less than 5 minutes.

During the first occurrence I talked to a volvo dealer service advisor who said this was likely the brake vacuum booster pump running after shutting off the engine due to a small leak some where and that it was not a serious issue. I did not take the car in. The car has 47,000 mi on it.

Does this sound like the booster pump or something else? If it is the booster pump running on, any idea what is involved in fixing the problem?
  • maggiecs80maggiecs80 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Volvo S80. I was recently given the car by my parents - aka they put the car I've been driving for 5 years into my name so I would have to pay for it.

There are so many problems I don't know where to begin. I know absolutely nothing about cars and need as much advice as possible. I know that if I go to a mechanic I will be taken advantage of, and as a recent college grad, I can't afford to be tricked. Hence I would like to figure out as much as possible before going in. The inspection sticker on my car just expired and I know it wont pass with all the issues.

So here it goes....

-"Brake Failure Stop Safely ASAP" light is on - I had the rear (or maybe the front?) brakes replaced about 6 months ago, but the warning has returned

-"Coolant Low Stop Engine ASAP" light is on, but the engine hasn't moved above the middle line on the gage.

-ABS light is on

-STC light comes on sporadically

-The rear driver's side door locks itself and gets stuck. Extremely inconvenient and dangerous - I am a nanny and I always have kids in the back.

-The engine revs while the car is in drive but I am stopped in traffic - it might also happen when the car is parked, but mostly it is just really loud always - way more than it used to be

-I know I need the timing belt replaced - should have been a while ago, but it's so expensive and other immediate needs kept popping up - ie. i've had the rear door fixed before and the brakes. I am aware of the damage that the belt can cause to the engine, but are there any warning signs that it is about to go? Could any of my other issues be caused by the old timing belt?

I know I sound like a complete idiot, but doing research online has just led me in circles with my head spinning. I figured other S80 members must have experienced some of the same issues. I am looking for any advice you can give. Also, I am located in the Boston area, so if you know of any good, trustworthy mechanics I would love to get their contact info.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Maggie :confuse:
    I have 1 99S80 and I have had some of those issues.
    First you should go to a Volvo dealer only for a diagnostic test.
    It costs about 100 but is well worth it. It will tell you all the problems that keep appearing on the warning panel and recommend what to fix.
    I am in Toronto, but you will need to get a mechanic in your area who knows about these cars.
    There are not many who can fix these cars properly.
    Hope this helps.
    Let me start by saying I'm very sorry to hear about all the problems you're having with your Volvo. I HAD a 99 Volvo S80 and let me just say I feel your pain. In the one year I had the car I replaced the radiator, battery, power steering hoses and o-rings, had to do so much on that car. I eventually gave up on the car and started driving a Ford. I would say just sell the car, once these cars fall apart they fall apart for good. They're not very durable after some point.
    If you do decide you want to try to fix the car I can tell you that the engine rev problem is probably a mass air flow sensor.
    I think the ABS light is always supposed to be on (or at least it is always on in my Ford Expedition)
    The coolant warning just means you need to put more coolant in the resevior (I suggest using any 50 50 pre mixed coolant)
    The brake problem is weird and I don't know much about breaks sorry can't help you on that one
    As far as the timing belt goes thats a tough fix on those cars it takes the mechanics a long time because it is a hard car to work on and there is not very much space around it to change the timing chain but if the belt goes out you will pretty much lose everything until you replace it
    And last but not least the door locking itself may require the door panel to be pulled off .
  • yankman04yankman04 Member Posts: 14
    Regarding my 2009 S80 - at 15,000 miles my front passenger side tire developed a small bubble on the sidewall and I had to replace the tire AT MY EXPENSE - the dealer said that I must have hit a large pothole or bump in the road. Now at 22,000 miles I noticed another small bubble on the driver's side front. This is frustrating especially because I don't drive reckless. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and whether I have any recourse. The tires are: Continental ContiPro Contact - 223/50 R17 98V EXTRA LOAD MS Radial Tubeless.
    This is frustrating especially because I don't drive reckless. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and whether I have any recourse.

In a word - no. Tire bubbles on the sidewall are from impact. Simply going into a pothole and having the sidewall pinched will cause the bubble. It can happen to anybody or any tire.
    I had to replace all four tires on the one I had. The guy who looked at it from the tire store said it was a pressure bump much like how you were told it was probably from hitting a pot hole. I don't think it has to do with wreckless driving but the quality of the tires. I would say if any more appear, just replace all four of your tires with higher quality tires. I had that bump with Continental tires and replaced them with Dunlop tires and never had another issue with the tires and I drove that car on the Dunlop tires for over 10,000 miles.
  • hook66hook66 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 S80 with the same issue as david3299: The actuator does not lock the fuel door. Did you find out what the problem was? The actuator is ok,
    Regards. hook66
  • hook66hook66 Member Posts: 2
    Fuel door issue. Volvo S80 2001. 100k miles. 2.9L. The motor does not close the door. It does not get 12V during central looking closing, only reacts during opening: 12V to the motor during closing. Both open/close relays RM211/212 seem ok. What type of signal makes the motor/plunger close the door? A reversed 12V signal? The fuel door is mechanically perfect. Confused.
  • curt587curt587 Member Posts: 4
    I tried pressing the button (it wasn't illuminated) and i still could not get the trunk to open with the remote or manually. Any other suggestions? Only opens with the key.
    The solution is simple buy a new car... haha sorry couldn't help that one. Seriously though, check the fuse on the lock. What probably happens you unlock it and try to unclock it but like any door if the lock never unlocks it wont open unless you have the key that is manually unlocking it.
  • woo3woo3 Member Posts: 1
    hey having similiar problems with my 99 volvo also, my temperature gauge always doesnt work properly.It seems to only operate when the car about to run hot. Leak antifreeze i notice it comes from the cooliant container above. Are these similarties thank you.
  • fanciegurlfanciegurl Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT AND TELL ME WHY I HAD HEAT YESTERDAY, AND NOW TODAY NO HEAT/AC AND NO LIGHTS ON THE CLIMATE CONTROL PANEL!? ALSO NO LED ON THE PARKING GEARS. IT SEEMS LIKE IT DOESNT HAVE ANY POWER TO IT, BUT THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER WORKS.........WTF IT'S COLD OUT! I CANT EVEN DEFROST MY WINDOWS! IS OR HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE???!! ALL FUSES WORK, THE POWER MODULE WORKS AS WELL........UUUHHHHHHH!
  • lm1020lm1020 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem did you figure out what make it do this? If so please email me back !
  • pjsulivn1pjsulivn1 Member Posts: 7
    This has happened to me a number of times on various cars. It was always a problem with the battery. Have your electrical system checked.
  • samantha91samantha91 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 2002 Volvo S80 2.9 for my daughter. I need her to have a reliable and safe vehicle. I know Volvo's have the safety issue covered. I have been told that from 98-04 the S80 had serious issues. Can someone speak to that? My daughter loves the car so I have to be the voice of reason if it is going to be a money pit.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I can't give you any info regarding that Volvo model but may I suggest that you look at something newer and perhaps Japanese for you daughter.

Volvo does have a reputation for safety but the other brands have caught up. What Volvo does have a reputation for is expensive repairs and so-so reliability.
  • madhurao1madhurao1 Member Posts: 10
    I don't think the volvo is any worse for repair than comparable  cars.  Replacement parts can cost a lot.  Also the GM 4 speed transmission is an issue and a common need for repair after 75000 miles - my opinion.  This is the cutoff for aftermarket insurance. Still given the distractions of drivers today with email and gps the safety of the volvo trumps other cars.  A transmission is replaceable loved ones aren't.   Maybe you can buy a good aftermarket insurance product- check costco for this.