Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• paltingpalting Member Posts: 26
    It's either a lemon car, or a lemon dealership service. I know the S80 has taken it's lumps on reliability, but hardstarting/not starting was never one of them. Maybe you should try another service dept. or dealer.
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    The problem you describe with your S80 is the same symptom I had with my 1999 S70. As I have posted on these froums before, my Volvo left me stranded at least three times, and required towing to the dealership. You might still see this syndrome described on Brickboard.com as the "lawnmower syndrome". As described, it can be caused by running the car for a very short period of time, like pulling the car out of the garage to get your lawnmower out; it is related to engine design. I was never sure if this was just Volvo urban legend, or pure BS. After the third time stranded I traded Volvo, but in subsequent discussions with Volvo owners and mechanics, it is symptomatic of ignition, compression, and/or fuel system/injector problems (given that the battery is new and electrical and computer systems are intact). It is difficult to trace and fix the problem, and left me with a bad feeling every time I approached the car. I suggest that you find another Volvo Dealer, or independent Volvo Technician, to troubleshoot (a second opinion). I'm not suggesting that your dealer is dishonest, but any one of the problems I listed is expensive, and time consuming, to fix. Aso, I have seen in this forum a problem described related to a low hanging vent pipe? (something easily damaged on prior year S80s when bottoming out or hitting a curb). Not sure if this is related.
  • griffman12griffman12 Member Posts: 18
    Hey, scottc3. Since you do your own maintenance where is the orifice in the PVC system?? Were you able to find a manual for your 2000 S80T6??

Tires:I have the 17'' Mich's on my 2000 S80T6. Changed two tires at 45,000 mile. Mainly because one was run flat and ruined. The new ones are on the front the originals on the back at 58,000 miles. they are a little over 3/32 and I will probility replace them in August. Who is telling who that 35,000 miles is normal!!
  • oper8rnoper8rn Member Posts: 5
    Mooer's Volvo in Richmond, Virginia put a new transmission in my 1999 S80 after several trips to their repair shop; my 5th light bulb went out in less than a year...I paid $60 for new wiring for my headlights...they say that it is not a recall, but numerous people have had this problem and it was suggested that it would help the problem. I am dumping this car before my warranty runs out...I can't afford the repair bills when the warranty runs out.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    One major daily newspaper is looking for folks who drive 2002 or 2003 yellow or orange cars, and another major daily newspaper is looking for folks who successfully or unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate the purchase prices of their vehicles at the end of their lease terms. If you care to share your stories on either or both of these topics, please send an e-mail containing a short summary of your experience and your contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, May 14.

Thanks much,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I moved to DFW area a little more than two years ago. Yeap, have experienced most of the volvo dealers here. Okay, Volvo Richardson and Autobahn (Fort Worth), my god, the service departments are the worst SH_T in the world.

What happened? (you must be wondering) Took my 960 to Volvo Richardson for oil change. The service dude told me that I need to replace the under body guard and air guide. I asked why. He said they both were broken and can't be put back to the car. Well, they were lying. I told them to leave the broken parts back in my trunk, and I put the parts back to the car myself at home. Took my car in for oil change in Houston later (volvo dealer). I asked if it's necessary to replace the under body guard. They service manager told me it's fine. No need to waste money.

Okay, again, took my car back to the dealer for oil change. This time is in Volvo Autobahn in Fort Worth. Their mechanics were either high on drugs or just shi_ty stupid. I asked for full synthetic oil change. Nope, didn't happened. I heard their conversation behind the door. The mechanic said "man, I didn't know he wanted synthentic oil. hell, he wouldn't know..." The bill was charging me the price for full synthetic. I spoke to the service manager. He sweared on his mother's life to me that I got the full synthetic oil. yeah, my aXX.

Anyhow, so far my best experience is with Volvo Dallas. They do take care of customers. Their service managers do listen and find solutions to the problems. Also, you don't have to wait for long appointments for a loaner car.

In conclusion, DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR TO VOLVO RICHARDSON AND AUTOBAHN FOR SERVICE!!!
  • peeetepeeete Member Posts: 136
    In the NJ area one of the dealers (Kundert)does a big business in selling Certified S80's and V70's that were used by Boston Coach - an executive limo service owned by Fidelity Investments. They are a legit outfit - and they even disclose on their website about meticulous maintenance and daily car cleanings. They sell 2001's with about 20K miles in the high $20's. Since *supposedly* the newer S80's are better, am I looking for trouble by buyinfg one? Has anyone had experiences with this deal? thanks
  • toddartoddar Member Posts: 10
    I have a '00 S80 T-6. I have gotten 37K from the Michelin Pilot 225/50/17's but would like something with a little better ride and possibly wear. As you may know, there are not a lot of tires in the 225/50/17 size. Three questions:

1. What do you think of the using the alternate size 235/45/17's because there is a better selection from which to choose and more competitive pricing (I know Volvo is strict about the options)?

2. Which is a better option (looking at drive quality only and excluding pricing considerations), the 225/55/16's or the 235/45/17's?

3. Considering my preferences and the answers to 1 & 2, what tires would you recommend?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Those original tires are beginning to look at little war torn and the car is getting inspected in a month (AKA I need to do something fast).

THANKS!!!!!
  • squadronleadersquadronleader Member Posts: 11
    I too am thinking of purchasing one of these. Dose anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • cluj233cluj233 Member Posts: 1
    Star
    Volvo of Houston out I-10
    Momentum

Which is best?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    I used to Work at Montclair Volvo (Check their pricing BTW.... they're usually the cheap deal in North Jersey... especially if they've had it for 45+ days..) and I used to buy a LOT of Ex Boston Coach cars.

We always had very good luck with them. They all come from Closed, Volvo-Dealer-Only auctions and they're pre-checked for accident/structural damage..etc. We probably moved close to 20 a month.. I mean, $23K for a year old S70GLT? They were EASY to sell and a great Value for the customer. They were very highly maintained and we very rarely had problems with them when they hit the shop before they hit the lot. (Just the usual.. Brakes, sometimes tires, the odd ck engine light or other little problem.. but they never apeared to be "Abused".

The ones that had been in accidents went through the auction as "Open Sale" carsand I never bought any!

So, yeah.. I wouldnt beafraid of them at all. I have sold a few of them to people I knew and they were always pleased with them.

Kundert is also a good dealership to deal with.

Bill
    I personally like the Pirelli P6000 Series Traction-wise... But wear-Wise?

Stick with the (Overpriced IMHO) Michelins. 37K is darn good for Z/V rated tires.

Excellent Grip=Soft Rubber=Quick Wear. Consider it a "Casualty of performance"

Bill
    Our T6 is on P6000s.
  • bucky1bucky1 Member Posts: 20
    Check out my previous post #896. I just got back from a 600 mile (mostly Interstate roads) trip. The Bridgestone Potenza tires I wrote up on #896 are fabulous. The cabin was so quiet at 80 mph and the ride was wonderful! Great handling in the rain also!
  • squadronleadersquadronleader Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the information on Boston Coach cars.
    Thanks for the good info. I went to Kundert and they gave me their inventory list of cars. The list had the number of days in inventory listed on it. Almost all of the cars had been there for between four months and a year!. They were asking $28 and $29K for V70's and S80's... a lot higher than what you were talking about.

Based on what you said, Im a bit concerned. Any used car thats is a good value like this should not sit for so long. I wonder if the good ones move each time they get them in, and the dogs sit?

Are these auctions monthly? thanks.
    Yeahup... every month.

They have stuff from FOUR MONTHS OLD TO A YEAR OLD on their lot?

Good GOD! We always sold em quickly.. but then, we always nailed the heck outta them on pricing! Come to think of it, we were turning our ex-BC cars in about 20-25 days. If I were you, I'd go talk to Paul Davis at Montclair... He is a VERY straight shooter.

Bill
    Glad to help! :)
    I checked montclairs website..they dont have any listed.

I pulled out Kunderts stock list, dated 5/20/02, so you dont think Im making this up. THe 2001's range in inventory time from 130 days to 404 days (buts thats extreme). Most seem to be in the range of six months to eight months (this is 21+/- cars). Prices are 28K for the V70's, and $30K for the S80's. I know most of the V70's dont have traction, so I think thats why they sit. They offerred me the V70's at about $27,100, and the S80's at $28,400. Seems pricy given the time on the lot!
    I dont think they keep everything they got online...

We used to get a lot of cars in that sold so quickly.. it wasnt worth spending the $$/time to throw em on the website. 96 XJSs were a great example... So were 240s. Whenever they came in, we just made a few calls and they were gone.

I'd be surprised if they didnt have a couple.

I'll double-check current pricing for ya when I get to the office tomorrow.

Bill
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Since you sell Volvos at a pretty big dealership, what did or do you make of used 740s and 940s? Did those cars sell pretty quickly when you took them in on trade and wholesaled them? I've seen those particular Volvo models go fast at other dealerships as well.

And do you think the market for used 850s will continue to be very strong?
  • jjunkerjjunker Member Posts: 1
    I live in New York City and the last few weeks I
    have experienced "low oil pressure, pull over and stop ASAP" message a few times.

The light actually flickers (sometimes) while waiting at lights, i.e. engine running but foot on the brake.

The service manager described it as a "flicker" too, and said it was
    something that happened to the S80's and that it was not serious. Has anyone here experienced
    this?

thanks
    -r
    850s sell well.

When I did (I no longer work for and dont own a Volvo dealership) work at a Volvo store 740s were rarely traded in in "retailable" condition, 940s sold reasonably well. Our main sellers were 850s, S70s..etc.

Bill
    Well.. its summertime.. :)

What weight oil ya running? Could also be a bad sending unit...

Bill
  • javaseajavasea Member Posts: 11
    A tsb is out on this. It happened to me. The dealer said it is a cloged screen on the end of a sensing tube in the oil, my words, or something like that. You more technical folks will know what I am trying to say. I would not drive the car any further than the dealer to get it fixed. Try to take the TSB to them. This sometimes helps. They fixed it, but it took a few days. I had a loaner so not a problem for me. Check out sites listing recalls and TSBs for your model. I have a 01 built in 10/99. The, my, dealer is always on top of what needs to be done. Hope this helps.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How in the world do you have a 2001 S80 that was built in 10/99?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Thanks. My other car is an '01.
    http://www.applications.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet?step=step4&year=2000&make=Volvo&model=S80&style=4+Dr+2.9+Sedan&popup=current

Bulletin No. 210028, dated March 2000. Try the above website at Edmonds for all the recalls and TSBs on any model car. Great tool.

Component Description:
    7.ENGINE NHTSA Number: SB610590
    Bulletin Number: 2198
    Bulletin Date: APR 2000

Vehicle: 2000 Volvo S80
    Summary:
    SERVICE CAMPAIGN ENVOLVING THE ENGINE OIL FILLER GRAKE LOCATED IN THE ENGINE OIL FILLER NECK OF CERTAIN VEHICLES.
  • trey96btrey96b Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a 99 S80 T6 and would like the board's input as to the good & bad aspects of the car. It has 58k miles, the carfax report is clean and it was a lease vehicle. There isn't an authorized volvo dealership w/i 3+ hr drive as well.

Regards,
    Trey
  • crosscwcrosscw Member Posts: 4
    Well, our S80 died completely while going about 10 miles an hour. Had it towed and they replaced the Electronic Throttle . It controls EVERYTHING.
    The dealer (Ct's Own in Milford) replaced it that afternoon, washed the car generally gave us the royal treatment.
  • billiam70billiam70 Member Posts: 54
    Is the car you are considering at a dealership or private owner? The only thing to really watch for is that the 99's aren't best known for dependablity. Check the build date on the car as well. A family member of mine has a 99 S80 2.9 and it has been absolutely trouble free. It was a 3/99 build.

If there isn't a warranty included, check into getting one. Also, how much is the car going for? Check the used values here and on KBB.
  • melmjdmelmjd Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts, I have a 1999 Volvo T6, 40k miles. My lease is up and Volvo finance offered a 22k price to buy my car from them.

I have had a few minor problems but the dealer has called and is trying to sell me the extended warranty for an additional 3 years or up to 100k miles. Have seen on boards the horror stories of other Volvo s80 owners and now am not sure wether to proceed or not. If I do, any suggestions on buying the additional warranty?

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
  • balooobalooo Member Posts: 24
    Hello all,
    Has anyone experienced the transmission jerking into gear gear upon stepping on the accelarator in the 2002 S80?
    I know the tranny has a driver adaptive feature but my wife is the primary driver and it does it to her consistantly.
    Our S80 has 3005 miles on it and I was hoping it was something that would self adjust with time learning my wifes driving style.
    We traded our 99 S70 for this one and it had the same adaptive feature but we never experienced the bucking and jerking.
    Any insights?
    I have a '99 T6. Lease was up last March, and I bought it. Never had any of the "horrors" that all the others seem to have. The only problem I had was the cooling fan, covered by warrantee. Aside from genuinely liking everything about the car, I have had 3 trouble-free years with it, and expect many more years of the same. So, I bought it. Turned down the extended warrantee. I have had so many trouble free miles, I don't expect anything else to happen. Of course, now I have jinxed myself. I now expect the engine to fall out tomorrow.
    Extended warranties are a funnything...

Buy one? You will never need it.

Dont buy one? You'll wish ya had :)

Bill
    00 T6 <--Mom is driving it and it has been bulletproof. Even after $29K in accident repairs. (No we are not buying out the lease! lol)
  • shepherd7shepherd7 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 S80 2.9 with 36K miles on it coming off lease. Volvo Finance has lowered the price to $20,700. Choices: buy it. buy it with an extended warranty. lease a new 2002 S80. Thoughts?
  • doctordick1doctordick1 Member Posts: 4
    Manufacture date is on label on front of pillar at front of left rear door opening.

My '99 T6 was manufactured in 5/99 and has been a wonderful but not completely trouble free vehicle. Had to have front bushings replaced twice, mass meter went out once, and had a recent recall replacing electric fan. Just went over 53K and found upper motor mount cracked and replaced. But, its the best car I've ever owned; drives beautifully (and fast) with amazing pickup. Very comfortable, good radio, CD changer in trunk works well as does tape deck (we use this a lot on longer trips.)

I'd buy another one without a qualm.

It would be interesting to know just how many real lemons were made; surely we heard from many of their owners, but what are the real numbers?? I know what misery a lemon can cause, but how many were there??
  • doctordick1doctordick1 Member Posts: 4
    My unclear instructions re manufacture date. Label is on the back side of the left pillar at the front of the rear door opening.

Hope this is clear!
    Been noticing that the shift points seem to have gone lower on the rpm recently. Also, the tranny seemed to hunt between 2nd and 3rd before finally settling on third with a shudder.

Well, I decided to do manual shifting for a 62 mile drive today. Spirited driving, some lights, good curves, high revs, occasional open road. Left it full auto on the way back. No hunting, no stuttering!! Good solid auto shifts!!

Wonder if the adaptive learning tranny needs to go to remedial school once in a while?
  • rms409rms409 Member Posts: 10
    balooo,

I posted a few months ago (Msg #886) about the same problem with my 2002 S80 2.9 (half year model). I noticed there were a number of times as I initially accelerated there would be a jerking kind of feel to the transmission. It reminded me of a manual transmission switching gears. This doesn't happen all the time, but occasionally. It's my first Volvo, so I just figured it was the way the creature functioned. I haven't had it serviced yet since it only has about 2,600 miles on it.

I really love the car, so the one little "glitch" wasn't a big issue with me. But, I am curious to know if this is something that should be repaired by the dealer. Maybe someone else out there has some insight into this. Any salespeople from the dealerships participating on this board have any ideas on this? Thank you in advance. :)
    rms409,
    This is my second Volvo I traded a 99 base S70,I wanted an S80 all along and finally got one.
    I feel the same way you do about the car, this is the only thing about it that troubles me and I know from experience two drivers with different styles can "confuse" the adaptive system my S70 had a very slight problem like the one we are having with our S80's but it went away after about 1,500 miles of driving.
    I'm hoping this hesitation thing will pass or can be adjusted by the dealer I have 4,200 on my S80 and plan on taking it in soon if this does not self adjust.
    Let me know if you hear about what is going on and the recommended correction from a different source.

Thanks,
    Balooo
    when was your car manufactured?
  • jerryq1000jerryq1000 Member Posts: 1
    I have to say, I'm surprised by some of the things I'm reading here. I'm on the road 35,000 mi/year and have driven almost everything, and I have to say my S80 T6 is the best so far. Nothing more than regular maintenance; I do have to admit I thought the 30K check was a bit pricey.
    There have been 2 right head lamps replaced under warranty (I bought the car with 10,800 mi on it). I do notice that until it warms up (which is quickly), it does tend to hesitate when the accelerator is pressed - but that's the only time it hesitates - it's a rocket otherwise.
    Great fuel economy for the performance, the dealer has been terrific, actually spoiling me.
    I make my living out of my vehicles and they get used and taken care of, not just driven back and forth to an office, or the store, or something like that. The last Volvo I had was a 1975 240 DL...this is a very nice change.
  • rms409rms409 Member Posts: 10
    jerryg1000,

It also sounds like your car is doing that transmission hesitation number upon initial hesitation. I usually notice it when the car is just starting out in the morning and I'm just getting going down the street. Just for a moment the transmission is thinking. After that, all is smooth driving. The acceleration on the car is terrific! You all know what I'm talking about. I also noticed that palting in Msg #943 has a similar sounding happening with his transmission, but it sounds as if he has remedied it with full auto on the way back.

Happy & Safe Volvoing everyone!
  • t6tolert6toler Member Posts: 19
    The shifting hesitation everyone is talking about is VERY normal when the car is first warming up in the morning. If this is the only time the car 'hesitates', then everything is fine. The hesitation is a combination of the turbos being cold and the car's emission control system adjusting the shifts to heat up the catalytic converter faster. A catalytic converter is not effective until it is VERY hot, and a car's emissions are incredibly high for the first few miles after startup, so the transmission is told to hold RPMs higher for the first few minutes to help get the systems operating more quickly. Many cars do this, some are just more pronounced in their execution of it than others. Many Mercedes owners have this same complaint. If you are still unsure, by all means discuss it with your service advisor or the shop tech.
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Hi all:

What is the consensus of the knowledgeable folks on this board regarding the "recent" stats on reliability? I know '00 and '01 had serious issues. Have these been corrected in mid-latter '02?
    tia,
    metmdx
    Thanks for the feedback with regard to this concern about the tranny hesitation issue and I say concern rather than use the word "problem" because from my vantage point it really is not a problem just a concern about how my S80 sometimes performs.
    This is my second Volvo and I love my S80.
    I say this to make clear for anyone seeking advice before purchasing a Volvo I highly recommend the brand.
    That having been said...
    My S80 is a 2.9 non turbo,correct me if I'm wrong but the warm-up explaination probably would not apply here in addition I think the Turbo models have a different tranny in them. The Turbo model I test drove had a manual override feature the 2.9 does not, so none of the reasons given apply to my 2.9 model.
    I'm taking it in next week I'll give an update on what the service techs at my Volvo dealership Taylor Volvo Gainesville Fl.
    (great service BTW) have to say.

Thanks to all,
    Balooo