Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Legend

Comments

• newpcguynewpcguy Member Posts: 4
    I have an 1988 Legend LS with 215,000 miles. For the first time, the engine temperature climbed to nearly the red, the engine ran very rough, and lots of dark gray smoke blew out the back. It started when I had been stuck for 15 minutes in a parking garage on a fairly steep down ramp and had been running the air conditioning, but the outside temperature was only in the seventies. Fortunately, it didn't overheat. After I got out of the garage, I shut off the engine and checked the oil on the level and the coolant, and both were well above the minimum mark. Then I started the engine with no problem, but the temperature was still near the red until I pulled away. I was immediately driving at highway speeds, and in five seconds the temperature gauge dropped to normal. The car hasn't behaved like this since. Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how likely it is to recur?
    I am contemplating adding a towing package to my automatic Legend, which has the older 160 hp engine. I want to occasionally tow a 4 x 6 trailer with a few bales of hay or perhaps even my garden tractor. Has anyone done any towing with their Legend, and what was the result? My engine has 230K miles on it, and I don't want to damage it. On the other hand, I'm thinking of purchasing a 1991 Legend with the 200 h.p. engine which has 130K miles on it--would the trailer be okay to tow with that?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I had just about the same episode with my 1987 Maxima way back when. It acted the same way with the air running and yet after taking off from the light all was ok.......never happened again through out the cars life. Hmmmm....

M
  • eeoreeor Member Posts: 7
    hi! legends seem like really good cars, judging by this forum, so i'm curious- is this car a good deal:

1992 acura legend gs, 80,000 miles, $10,000

Driver's Side Air Bag; Passenger's Side Air Bag; Cruise/Speed Control; Defroster, Rear; Locks, Power Door; Seat, Power Driver; Seatbelts, Front Shoulder; Seatbelts, Rear Shoulder; Steering Wheel, Tilt; Sunroof, Power; Tire, Full Spare; Windows, Power; Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Cruise Control; Rear Window Defroster; Power Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof; Theft Deterrent System; Tinted Glass; Tilt Steering Wheel;

that's the ad. now i'm fairly certain there is no such thing as a legend gs. i'm thinking it's an "l" series, judging by the options. manual, cloth seats and tape deck, too, i'll bet.

if i buy, is it due for any major repairs? anything i should look for? i can't afford to not have a car in perfect working order for at least a few more months.

love,
    eor
  • goralgoral Member Posts: 145
    Yeap, no such a thing as a '92 GS...
    Major maintenance - the only thing you should be aware is the timing belt / water pump replacement, which should be done @ ~90K miles (~$700-$800 when performed by the dealer).
    Major repairs - check the radiator top for cracks, transmission mounts, power window master switch...
    i now have comfirmation that it's an automatic.

goran- thanks for the heads up. i think 10k miles is enough for me to save up for repairs.

a certain site with the words "car" and "point" in the title had this to say about the 92 legend- cany truth to this?

engine-
    significant problems- A common problem on this vehicle is failure of the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and a periodic problem is failure of the Ignition Control Module. Failure of the Ignition Control Module may prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Vehicle Speed Sensor is estimated at $270.00 for parts and $45.50 for labor.The cost to repair the Ignition Control Module is estimated at $231.00 for parts and $26.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

brakes-
    moderate problem- An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the ABS Pressure Switch.The cost to repair the ABS Pressure Switch is estimated at $308.00 for parts and $40.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax

air conditioning-
    moderate problem- This vehicle was originally charged with R-12 refrigerant which is no longer being manufactured. The refrigerant is still available, but it is very expensive ($25.00-$50.00 per pound, 2-5 pounds per vehicle). Conversion to the new R-134A refrigerant is possible, at an average cost of about $200-$350 parts and labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

i kinda think that carpoint don't really know what they are talking about, generally, but it's better i find out now. any help is appreciated. thanks.

love,
    eor
    re: the value-

i've seen the listed value of a 92 legend vary from as low as 7500 to close to 14000. what's the deal? (i checked kbb, edmunds, carpoint and some other used car sites)

thanks
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    I just bought a '94 GS. I read the same comments on carpoint as well. You can check out

http://forums.legend.org/Forum1/HTML/010717.html

to see what kind of problems that the 2nd generation Legends may have.

• aculexaculex Member Posts: 25
    My '86 Legend's temp gague ran up to red a few years ago and that was because one of the fans (there are 2 - one for radiator and other for A/C condensor) failed. I let it cool anddrove to my mechanic.. He bought a replacement from a local junk yard that 'warranted' it for 30 days and it cost very little to replace. You should check the fan and make sure it's working properly.

My question:

Can anyone tell me how I can disable the ABS system in my car? I also have a 90 Legend Coupe with a failing ABS system (pressure switch?) that makes a LOUD jackhammer-like noise until it fails completely and the Anti-Lock light goes on. I would rather it just stopped working permanently. I would appreciate any advice on that.

Thanks!
    For what it's worth - on my '91 w/ 121K miles, I haven't had ANY of these problems.
    My ABS doesn't work, but it's because of faulty wheel speed sensor - $120 part + couple 1-2 hours labor...
    Thanks for the suggestion regarding my overheating problem.

Regarding your ABS problem, I just had a serious ABS problem last month. When I laughed at the dealership's recommendation to pay $2600 to replace all the ABS components, the technician advised me on the sly to disable the ABS by removing the three ABS fuses in the fuse-box at the front of the engine compartment. When I looked, the fuses were clearly shown on the fuse-box diagram, and in addition my three fuses actually said something like AL or ABS or ALB right on them. I pulled the three fuses, and my problem was cured at a cost of $0! The only time an ABS is active is during an emergency stop, so the only difference is that now I have manually controlled emergency braking instead of computer controlled emergency braking. This doesn't bother me at all. None of my other cars have had ABS, so I'm used to driving with the rule everyone knew before Antilock Braking Systems were invented: "don't lock the brakes." The ABS warning light on my dashboard is lit all the time now, but I don't mind that, either.
  • aculexaculex Member Posts: 25
    Hey newpcguy,

Thanks a ton for the info .. I hadn't checked this board since I last posted and by chance came across it today on a lark. Ironically, I took my car in for an oil change on Monday, and told my mechanic I wanted to disable the ABS. He knew about this problem being common to the Legend (he's a Legend fanatic himself) and simply took out the relay for the ALB. That's just about the same as your taking out the fuses. Of course, he didn't charge me for it, so like you I got a free fix. Great when things work out like that, huh? Anyway, the light is always on (doesn't bother me a bit) and the brakes are soft, but completely manageable.

Thanks for your advice though - I hope your overheating problem has been solved - post your fix when you have some time.

Take care.

Goral - thanks for the response too - too bad my prob would have cost $2000 plus to fix ...
  • treehugger1treehugger1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 4dr 1992 Legend. It has leather and power everything. It might be the LS model. Not sure. It has 104K miles. There are a few light scratches on it and a rust spot the size of a half dollar. The belts were recently replaced. They are asking $7995. Is this reasonable? I just need something to get me buy a year or two. I do alot of city driving(120 miles a day).
    I am (very passively:) ) trying to sell my '91 L w/ 122K, and would like to get ~$5K - so ~$8K for car slightly "younger" w/ 20K fewer miles seems pretty reasonable (although I would shoot for ~$7K-$7.5K).
  • thedudemanthedudeman Member Posts: 2
    Hello, this is my first post to the Town Hall. I've been checking out the boards here for quite some time however. I am writing to get some advice. After reading up on several cars I have gotten my heart set on an Acura. I am a college student AND full time worker and am ONLY concerned with reliability and not having to sink much money into a car. Basically the most reliable car I can get for as little money as possible. Acuras appeal to me for that reason, although they aren't marvelously cheap. I have found an 87 Legend for $1700 with 117k on it. I am yet to actually see the car yet but I was told over the phone it has a rebuit rack + pinion, rebuilt tranny, pwe all, etc. It's an automatic by the way. What should I be looking for when I check it out? I know the timing belt and water pump are supposed to be replaced at 90k, but the guy who owns the car has only owned it since 115k (buying a new car) so how do I check to see if they have been replaced? Also, how much can I expect to sink into this car annually? I can't afford much. Should I look for a newer car? I can't spend more than $4000 off the bat. I've mainly been looking at Acuras, early 90s Toyotas, and mid-90s Nissans. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking if the guy has only put 2k miles on the car, and is selling it, he found out something is wrong with it. Early 90's Toyotas or Hondas, would be good, as well as mid 90's Nissans if they are in your price range. Good luck.
  • thedudemanthedudeman Member Posts: 2
    Well my question was taking for granted that everything checks out. He said he owned 3 Acuras but just got a new one so is selling this one. It's hard to find a early 90s Toyota/Honda within blue book range (and my price range). I need an automatic since my girlfriend can't drive a stick which adds some cost to it as well. Acuras of any year just sounded like the most reliable car for the money. So my question is what should I look for, how much should I expect to put in, and what do we think about this 87?
    The car may be cheap to buy, but expensive to maintain. So, it's important to check out the car for any protential problems. You can go to http://classifieds.yahoo.com/ to check the average asking price for the car in your area. If the price is cheap as compared to others, then it may have some problems (e.g., paint or body repairs). Always ask the owner for service records and whether the car has been in accidents.
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    I live in Meridian, MS Legends are a real hard to find for sale but i see them on the road every where. I recently found a 97 Black 3.5RL beautiful on the outside but it reminded me of our intrigue when i drove it(sort of grandma-y), also when the Honda salesman showed it to me it was having the radio replaced and took over 2weeks and everything in the center console was ripped out, that turned me off of that car also the leather looked quite cheap but the seats were extremely comfortable. I recently found a 94 acura Legend LS, beautiful green color with tan inerior i love this car more than the RL just by looking at it, i haven't driven it yet because i would have to go pick the guy up that is selling it (he is blind and mainly works on accords and legends, but some civics) If anyone has driven both the 2nd and 3rd generation legends please let me know what you think.
    I own both - a '91 Legend L and '96 RL Premium. Both very nice cars, but (as you noticed) the RL suspension is very soft. It is, however, a great highway cruiser. If you want stiffer suspension, you have to go for '99 and up. Regarding looks - "to each his own"...
    Whichever you choose, you shouldn't be disappointed. The Legends seem to hold their value better (especially in GS or L/LS coupe trims).
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    What I really want is a 95 Black Legend GS 4-door but that's a long shot! I can still see a little 2nd gen. styling in the RL especially around the wheel bays. I think the only reason i like the legend is because they are 6,7,8,9 years old and by the exterior styling they don't look old
    Interested in Black GS 6 SPEED?
    Check out:
    forums.legend.org -> Marketplace... There are several other GS available.
  • gs4amggs4amg Member Posts: 4
    I have been fortunate enough to find a 1995 GS with a six speed and only 39K miles. It is in very nice shape. I am going to have Acura check it out later this week before finalizing the deal, but I am optimistic that the car will emerge with a generally clean bill of health. There is one problem that I do not need their assessment on.

While driving the car I noted that the stereo was a bit disappointing, and that it seemed to have a hard time locking in on radio stations. When I read post #119, it struck a chord. I also asked the owner to play a tape that they were familiar with, and they agreed that the sound quality had degraded. The original owners had a new antenna put in last summer, but this didn't seem to help the problem much. It sounds like the pre-amp problem that has graced many posts on this forum (which I found tremendously helpful in guiding my decision to buy, so thank you).

Two basic repair options were suggested. One was replacing the pre-amp (e.g., with a Phoenix Gold unit). The other was to send the Bose unit for repair. I believe that the two listed services were www.boserepair.com and the other was www.goldtek.com. I have found additional repair outfits on the internet that charge about $350. Has anyone actually sent their unit to one of these outfits, and if so, could you let me know whether you are still happy with the repair?

Thanks.
  • theparsontheparson Member Posts: 1
    I am in need of a second car. The family van just won't suffice any more now the children are entering school I found a used Legend with 234,000 kilometers or 140,000 miles. It is in good shape with a little surface rust in a couple of small spots. They can be easily touched up. It is listed for $6,995 Canadian. Should I go for it? Is this a good buy? The car has been maintained. Any thoughts I would appreciate the insight. Cheers!
  • lintorontolintoronto Member Posts: 8
    I have got a '95 Legend L S which has all options including factory installed telephone, spoiler, mud guards etc.; it has about 70k miles, mostly trips to Florida, New York etc. Could someone please give me an idea as to what would be a fair price for this car? Timing Belt and Water Pump were recently done. The car is in spotless condition. Many thanks for comments.
  • tl92126tl92126 Member Posts: 2
    I found a 1994 white GS with the 6 speed, 48,000 miles in mint condition. Seller is asking 17,000. Is this a good price?
  • ntec28ntec28 Member Posts: 1
    The name says it all. Even though the second generation legend debuted in 91 over ten years ago people still want at least $10k for a 91 ,92 legend with kms around 200k.The most wanted is the 93 to 95 legend with the type 2 engine which puts out 30 more horsepower .Which gives you a grand total of 230 hp which will make you be able to make any bmw notice you got the juice!I havent seen a 93 for under $17K and that was with high kms. I have a 95 honda accord i want to sell it and buy a 91 or 92 2 door coupe with a 5 speeda 93 ,94 if the price is REASONABLE but It will be a weekend warrior cause the parts are to high on this old luxury vehicle
  • bullmarket99bullmarket99 Member Posts: 1
    It looks as if I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy new rotors for my '89 Legend. Anyone have an idea as to how much this job is going to cost?
    Well, if you have a jack and couple wrenches, you could probably change both rotors in less than 1 hour. What the mechanic will charge you is anybody's guess.
    To: tl92126

The car that you describe sounds nice. I am very fond of the white and tan leather combination. I don't know if this will be helpful to you in terms of assessing the price, but here goes.

I just bought a '95 GS 6-speed with 39K miles. It was in very good condition and I paid $17.3K. This was in California, and prices here seem to be a bit higher than the rest of the country. The car needs to have the audio fixed, most likely a new amp. The battery needed replacement. Two of the rims have scratches; it might be possible to polish them out. The timing belt needs to be done. I may have the water pump done at the same time, and keep the used part as a spare. The driver's seat leather is ok, but will require some attention over the next year or two. There were virtually no door dings and the bumpers were in good shape. The car had been detailed on a regular basis so the paint was in really good shape. Engine was pristine, and all the regular servicing had been done (except the timing belt).

Your car is older, and has more miles. These things would bring the price down. If you have the original stereo, listen to it carefully. There are many posts on this forum regarding problems (see posts 119, 122, 139, 142, 154, 188, and 192). As others have suggested, there are radiator cracking issues that you should have checked out. You should find out whether the timing belt has been done. This is a several hundred dollar repair, and not one I would defer. There is also an issue of the condition of the seat leather. In every used Legend I looked at the left side of the drivers seat was worn and cracked. Fixing this with new leather is not cheap even if you get into a group buy.

I am happy that I got my car. I love driving it. As someone said in a much earlier post, is has all the good aspects of a Honda and a high level of luxury. The 6 speeds are rare. I had given up on finding one, and then it happened. I expect to own mine for a long time. I bought it with the idea that I would have to spend some additional money to get the car into perfect shape. If the stereo on the '94 is perfect, the timing belt has been done, and there are no other problems, I would go for it. I was able to negotiate a somewhat lower price because of the defects that I indicated.

Hope this is helpful.
  • tl92126tl92126 Member Posts: 2
    I bought the 1994 GS with the 6 speed. White with tan interior. Rims were perfect.. not a scratch. Perfect paint.. no intereior damage.. has the cd changer and stock cell phone. Has new tires... tested everything runs great. I had the dealership check it out. It has all maint records.. only been dealer serviced. Oil changed every 3,000. Master cylinder changed 600 miles ago. It is beautiful and looks brand new. The doctor I bought it from didn't spare any expense taking care of it. It always sat in the garage and you can tell. I am going to take a pic and post it here later. I am extremely happy with it and have a feeling I will never part with it. I surprised at how many looks this car gets. It is beautiful and unique.
    To: tl92126

I am happy to hear that you bought the car, and from your description, you got a real beauty. I bought mine from a business owner, and many of the things that characterize your car (great care, dealer maintenance) parallel the care that my car has seen.

Ironically, I will be in the San Diego area in about a week. If I see a stunning white GS during my driving, I will assume that it is yours (especially if I get a chance to peek in the window and see that it is a rare 6-speed).

Best of luck with the car. If any problems do arise, I sure would appreciate your posting them. It is a bit early in my ownership to have anything to report, but this forum would be a good place to compare experiences. I bought my car in part because of the many positive posts that appeared in this forum. I thank all the former posters for taking the time to express their opinions, and share their experiences. It was certainly one of the most positive collections of posts I read about cars, and I was looking at several (Q45, Maxima SE, etc.) before honing in on the Legend. It seems that many of the original posters are enjoying their cars too much, and not posting any more. Perhaps it is time for another group of owners to carry on the tradition, and propagate the Legend.
  • therhinotherhino Member Posts: 21
    Just some food for thought, a few months ago I sold my 91 Legend with 172,000 miles for $1900 (I paid $7500 for it five years earlier). It was white,4-door,L model I think...leather cracked up badly, had to do the 'remove the fuse trick' to 'fix' the ABS, etc. Started to have problems wanting to get hot, etc. Anyway, I loved the car for the five years I had it, but maintaining it got expensive.

Tomorrow morning there is a guy coming over to look at the 87 Legend I am selling. Asking $1200, still runs great, 235,000 miles, 5 speed,4-door. It's in great shape for a 14 year old car, had it for five years too and paid $2800 for it. Point of this story... I just went through all my copies of repairs I had my local and affordable mechanic do, and it added up to almost $5000 over the past 4 years.(including AC comp.,new clutch, top half engine rebuild (timing belt broke while driving- interference design) a lot of brake work, etc. Both Legends were a lot of fun to drive and overall were still cheaper than monthly car payments, but just be prepared for high maintenance costs as you go. If I had a 3 car garage I would just keep the 87, after looking at what I've spent I probably should...

By the way, be careful of estimates from your Acura dealer. Mine here in Ft.Myers, Florida quoted me $2800 for repairs to my 87 Legend to get rid of a persistent gas smell in the cabin (that's more than book value for the car!). They wanted to replace all the injectors, etc, etc. After two tries, my local mechanic was able to reroute some of the emission hoses and the smell has not come back. Also the car was still running great while it had the smell...

Sorry for the long post, but maybe someone will get something out of it.
    Would one of you be so kind as to look in your owner's manual to find out the maximum weight in a trailer that the car can tow? I personally don't have a manual and would like to know the specs. Please reply here.
    You should not tow more than 2,000 lbs (the tailer and everyting loaded in it).
  • VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    Hey guys, I've been reading some of the posts. I'm getting a 90 Legend LS Coupe. Its a private owner but i'm taking it to my mechanic to have it checked out in 2 days. The car is absolutely loaded and i love it. I'm 17 and i really like this car. Anybody have anything that they want me to watch out for. My neighbors have a 88 legend sedan and they love their's. Wish me luck and hopefully i'll have a new car in 2 days. dan
  • apowell1apowell1 Member Posts: 7
    About a year ago, My 1991 Legend overheated slightly. I noticed that the Overflow tank had overflowed, and the radiator was somewhat low. I added coolant to the radiator and all was well until now. Today, the car got hot after about 10 minutes of driving. Assuming the thermostat was stuck, I stopped. After about 10 minutes I started the car and all was well. I have heard of 1991 overheating problems that are similar and impossible to diagnose. A friend sold his car after several months of he and two dealers trying to find the problem. Any thoughts?
  • triumphanttriumphant Member Posts: 1
    The AC compressor on my 1995 Legend coupe (6spd, 74,000 miles) just died. The Acura dealer says: "This is called 'Black Death'. You'll have to replace the whole system, compressor, evap core, EVERYTHING. Total cost should be about $2,500."

$2,500?!?!? Has this happened to anyone else? It's August and I live in Austin, Texas, so fixing the AC is not an option, but, fer crying out loud, $2,500? Anybody else have to replace their whole system just because the compressor dies?
    Did you get a second opinion??? I would...
    The AC compressor on my '96 RL went out, but I found a used one (via www.copartfinder.com) for $120 and had it installed by my mechanic ($120 including R-134).
  • apowell1apowell1 Member Posts: 7
    The AC died on my 91 Legend, it was about $1700 as I recall, and the work was done by the Acura dealer in Laurel, MD. My problem started with the compressor leaking oil. I don't recall them saying they replaced the whole system. That sounds kind of severe.
  • rb15rb15 Member Posts: 3
    dear group
    i have a 95 acura legend ls which i dearly love.
    have had ir six years with minimum problems.
    one very bad problem though is that every few months when i turn the key the starter won't turn over. the dash board lights come on and the battery is strong--it just wont start. if i turn the key dozens of times ,it will finally start.the dealer has looked at it several times and doesnt have a clue.any ideas? thanks
  • mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    I just drove my 1993 LS Sedan 180 miles roundtrip today. My advice is to buy this car if you can find one. My car still performs and rides like a new car after all these years.
  • VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    I have had my 90 Legend LS coupe now for about a month and love it. Its the older style so it only have the 24v 2.7 L V-6 with about 160 of both torque and horsepower but it moves pretty good with the 5 speed. my car overheated once when i got stuck on the highway with construction. I turned it off but then remembered the heating thing and turned that on and it was fine. I tried to overheat it again by parking it in the driveway after driving it and it being warmed up and letting it idle with the a/c on but it stayed cool. I think i'm going to replace the thermostat though cause i have a new one and see what that does. Other than that a great car and that is very minor. My 90 had about 130k on it but was loaded and i paid 4 grand.
  • gspiresgspires Member Posts: 1
    I have stumbled across a 1992 Acura Legend Coupe LS. 90,000 miles, 5 speed, loaded, black on black. Seller has stated that the timing belt/water pump has not been done, Throttle Body has been replaced 3 times (CEL on), and ABS light is also on. Am I looking at some serious money for fixing these items? The car is in very good condition and he is asking $8600. I want to use this as a daily driver so I am looking for a reliable vehicle. Is this a good deal or something to stay away from? Thanks!
  • aka5505sicaka5505sic Member Posts: 7
    I had a similar problem with my 92 Legend LS, which was driving my wife, mechanic, and local Acura dealer nuts. Finally discovered that there was a dead spot in the ignition switch caused by the wear of the key being inserted in and out over the years (the switch would think the car was already running and not allow the starter to engage.) Anyway, after a new switch ($450.00 installed by my local mechanic), it appears to have solved the problem. One dead giveaway will be an ignition switch that's really fussy about having the key at at certain angle before the key will release. Good luck....
  • old_spartanold_spartan Member Posts: 6
    A local Saturn dealer has an '89 Legend L 4D for $2300. I don't have any other details yet. Any opinions on a Legend this old?
  • old_spartanold_spartan Member Posts: 6
    I found out this car has 166k miles. This is about 13-14 k/year. It's in very nice shape, but it is 13 years old.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Have your mechanic check it out. You have to expect that any vehicle with that kind of mileage will have many areas of potential breakdown. I bought an '87 coupe in 1997 at 104K for $4500. In addition to brake pads, tires, muffler, and other wear-and-tear items, over time the distributor went out, speedo replaced (127K), motor mounts cracked, and the AT was overhauled (135K). ABS components needed replacement, but the service supervisor recommended disabling the system and relying on the four wheel discs - cost was prohibitive ($2K) and the system was technically obsolete. I also converted the AC to the non-CFC R-134 refrigerant, and had rust repair because of leaks into the trunk and passenger compartment. The leather was dried out, cracked, and some sections replaced with vinyl (!) - covered it with sheepskins. Lots of $$$ expended. All receipts were in the glove compartment and confirmed by the dealership that service and repairs were done on a regular basis (time and mileage).

In general, the car ran well and was in good shape. Too bad it got "totaled" a few months ago. I miss that car!
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    The engine temperature on my 93 Legend L (about 94,000 miles) shot up to almost the red mark. Not sure if it was the thermostat but we replaced it. About a week later it ran hot again. Turns out there was an air pocket since we didn't bleed the system after we added antifreeze.
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    Help, here are the symptoms:

93 Legend 94,000 miles. Car starts to overheat on occassion. Engine also then begins to occasionally surge. It revs from back and forth from 1,000 rpm to 1,500 in park. No heat comes out of the air vents when engine temp begins to climb to an overheated situation. I shut the engine down before it ever hits the red zone.

I replaced the thermostat a week ago and refilled the radiator with coolant. It ran hot again so I then bled the radiator hose from the valve on the top hose and everything was ok for a week. Then samething happens. Park the car and check a few hours later and the radiator is low. I refill and bleed again. The next day engine temp ok, heat working. After about three hours, I take the cap off of the radiator since it was not hot but cool, and there is a lot of pressure and the fluid shoots out. What is going on here? Why is this car overheating and yet no heat is produced when it does? I am at my whit's end. Any help greatly appreciated.