Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually I noticed both points--more room and the twist beam rear axle. I posted something on the back seat room somewhere else, I think the Low-End Cars forum, commenting that the pics made the rear seat look Intrepid-like. The lack of rear seat room was the main reason I stuck the Corolla off my shopping list in the fall of 2000. It should be much more competitive now with the Civic, Protege, Focus, Lancer, and Elantra for rear-seat room. I'm not that concerned about the beam axle until I get a chance to drive the car. I've owned cars with beam rear axles (including my '85 Civic S and '91 and '99 Caravans) and with independent rear suspensions. The cars with beam rear axles have handled just fine. Since Toyota is increasing the size and power of the '03 Corolla, while targeting Lexus levels of quality control, they have to cut something if they want to keep the price competitive. Nissan did the same thing with the current-generation Sentra. Honda cut corners on the suspension of the '01 Civic, removing the double wishbones from up front. It will be interesting to see if Toyota was able to maintain or improve the Corolla's ride quality with this change.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    The ninth generation of Corolla will be unveiled in Detroit. Hehe, we already know what it looks like.
  • vipinguptavipingupta Member Posts: 21
    Hello Guys,

Yesterday I got right rear side tire flat. One garage guy tried fixing it but could not. SO I guess I need to replace the tire. On my 99 Corolla car, these original tires have already done 22K Miles.

I need suggestion from you guys, on which Tire Make/Model should I choose. The size is 185/65R14.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    That thing looks really sharp. All Toyota needs now is a performance model. Put some bigger wheels on there, throw in the 180 hp engine, and this car becomes instantly competitive with all of the other new small sports cars, ie) Focus SVT, Protege MP3, Sentra SE-R, VW Jetta 1.8T, Civic Si. Are you listening Toyota? You better be because younger buyers avoid your cars.
    You beat me to it! It's so much more awesome now. I like how the CE now has color keyed door handles, AC, and CD player standard. This will attract more buyers along with leather on the LE. Wish I could get one. I'm glad they replaced silverstream opalescent with lunar mist metallic!
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    all i can say is WOW!!!!!!!
    not only it's cheaper but bigger too!!!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Sport Compact Car tested the Matrix XRS. It compared favorably to the IRS Celica GTS, a tad less precise. No doubt the Corolla won't handle nearly as well, since the suspension tuning will be much softer (reason why people complain about the suspension on the MKIV Golf/Jetta). The Maxima has a torsion beam rear, and handling wasn't compromised too much. Magazines don't really complain about its handling too much, except for the fact it's a torsion beam design.

Corolla S, cladding came straight from the Corolla Fielder, as well as similar ones from the Corolla RunX & Allen. Not that bad looking.

Leather: Used to be available in the Geo Prizm from 1993 to 1997 in the LSi trim. Having leather is one thing, but quality of the leather is another.

Toyota's "High Profile" Design methodology? More room (head room, shoulder room, and trunk space). May hurt aerodynamics and raise center of gravity a bit. Look at the Prius & Echo, smaller package on the outside, comparable space in the inside compared to the Corolla.

Sadly it needs rear disc brakes
  • dadx4dadx4 Member Posts: 11
    The 2001 specs state that the rear leg room is 33.2" and the 2003 specs are being shown as being 35.4". That is quite the improvement and I hope that is really works out that way. Such an increase would really make it a reasonable choice for a second family car used to haul around the kids. I think it will be a hit and it needs to be as Honda is bringing out 5 new models in the coming year.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Folks,

Because the 2003 Corolla shares many of the same components as the Matrix sport wagon, let's see how long before Toyota decides to build a "GT" model with a true sport suspension and the 180 bhp engine (which should easily drop into the Corolla's engine compartment). Can you say "Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V beater"? :-)
    What five models? I only know of Accord and Civic Si.
  • cp4hcp4h Member Posts: 18
    Anybody remember the glory of AE92 race cars ?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...will introduce the Civic Si, Accord, Civic Hybrid sedan and Pilot SUV within the next 8 months. I'm not sure any of this makes much impression on what Toyota thinks it has to do, but whatever...
  • laithy_74laithy_74 Member Posts: 35
    Toyota will also introduce many new models this year: The Corolla, Matrix, 4Runner, Sienna as well as a restyled Land Cruiser, Avalon, Tundra and Echo.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    That's only 4.
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    At 35.4 inches, the '03 Corolla matches the Mazda Protege, and is 0.6 inches behind the Civic sedan. I'm 6'1" and fit in the back of the Protege with the driver's seat pushed all the way back, my knees not touching anything. It ain't how I'd want to spend a cross-country trip, but a drive to a restaurant or a family function would be no problem. My kids will have plenty of room.

And, unlike the Protege, the Corolla comes with not one but two rear cupholders (Civic EX has one, lower grades come with none).

I can't wait for the Chicago Auto Show. With the Civic, Pro, and new Corolla, I have a very difficult decision to make this Spring. They are all very nice economy sedans. (Sentra too small for me; VW too expensive; Hyundai dealer too far away and, with Kia and Daewoo...maybe next time when reliability is proven.)

twist
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    because they invariably add useless options and accessories that could be $500 to a few thousand$ over MSRP. I think it's hard to find a Toyota without this surprise fluff. Try configuring a car on Toyota's website, then go down to the dealer and see if you can find a vehicle that matches that configuration. Chances are that vehicle will have a bunch of unnecessary stuff added to it.
    I rather get a AE86 GT-S as a project car
    You are right. If the Accord and versions of Civic can be included let's include Toyota's.

REDESIGN within 2002-2003
    Camry, Corolla, Matrix, 4Runner, Sienna (and Solara, possibly 2004 at latest. I believe and shouldn't it be time for Land Cruiser as well?)

REFRESH
    Celica, ECHO, MR2-Spyder, Avalon and Tundra.

Lexus has its new GX470 SUV coming out also. ES300 was just redesigned with refresh of RX300 and GS series

As you can see, most of Toyota's vehicles are undergoing changes no doubt drawing more interest. The new Tacoma has drawn unexpected interest. Toyota is building up its supplies of Corolla like never before.
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    You're right -- I have one, an 85. I drive it far more than my turbocharged 2000 LE, because it not only looks better, it's a lot more fun to drive.

Funny thing is, I seriously considered buying an AE86 before turbo-ing my 2000 and got talked out of it. As much fun as my 2000 has been (sucking the doors off Mustangs in a lowly Corolla is a hoot!), I'm looking to sell my 2000 and keep my 85. Next project? Maybe a gen1 MR2 or mid-80s Supra.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I received the option prices for the new Corolla and it looks like they are doing what they did with the new Camry. More content for a lower Msrp. Optioned out and LE, with cruise, 3-in-1 stereo, all weather guard package, and floor mats, comes out at $16,480.00 destination charge included. Will post more tomorrow night.

: )

Mackabee
  • dadx4dadx4 Member Posts: 11
    I may be mistaken, but isn't Honda working on what they call the Model X. A sort of square, high ceiling vehicle they are touting as being for the younger set who need to haul around sports equipment. Set to release later this year.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Thanks - that's what I really wanted to know, what a realistically equipped LE would show on the ground at the dealer. For me, the list of equipment [plus automatic] you show is what we would need. Does sound good...and the early driving reviews have all been positive. Even quieter and more refined....? What a deal...
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    magazine has the 2003 Corolla on the cover
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    excuse me - the Corolla is not on the cover - there's a picture of it along with an article on page 36- my mistake -
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I posted this querey in another forum and had little response. Maybe more would be interested. I hope so, as I am quite curious:

Toyota yesterday reported that the new Corolla will base at around $13.4, while the new Matrix will base at around $14.6. As the Matrix is actually a Corolla in a small SUV's clothes, I wonder if many the people looking to buy a Corolla will also be considering the Matrix. If so, why? If not, why not?
    i'm considering a corolla as well as the matrix. even though the difference in price (where i live) is roughly around C$1500, i'll probably go for the corolla mainly coz of budget.

if budget is not a factor, i would definitely get the matrix coz of it's size and wagon type body. i currently drive a sienna and i'm used to the room and with a baby, u need all the room u can get for stroller, diaper bag, food, etc!

i think once the matrix comes out next month, pt cruiser, mazda protege5 and other small suv/wagon vehicles will be in big trouble! in my area, toyota canada annouced that corolla base will start around C$15,300 and matrix will start around C$16,800. a base protege5 starts around C$20,000 and pt cruiser starts around C$24,000+ in my area. who in their right mind would want to buy these cars when a base matrix starts at C$16,800 and a 4wd matrix will start at C$20,000+?!?!?!

i think that the matrix will be a winner for toyota and same thing with the corolla. i can see civic sales suffer and hopefully i will see less civics and more corolla's on the street! :)

i always thought cars are cheaper in usa but by looking at the new corolla/matrix prices, seems like cars are cheaper in canada! i wonder if our neighbours down south would be rushing up north to buy corolla and matrix!
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Matrix and its Vibe cousin will sell well. I just cannot decide whether they will steal sales from the other cute-utes or the small sedans. More than any other cute-ute, the Matrix/Vibe promise to be the closest in price, mpg, and handling to the small sedan.

I am not sure about other areas, but Chicago and Illinois have statutes that allow taxing residents for new car purchases whether the car was purchased in Illinois or another state. I am not sure how that would work if someone from Illinois purchased in Canada, however. If it worked, a tourist could pay for a fun trip to the Great North with the savings.
  • gsbhasingsbhasin Member Posts: 21
    Hi ,
    I have a 2002 Corolla CE and am planning to install a 5 disc changer with a friend. The disc changer is on local sale for 70$ (i dont care the brand for that price). The Toyota changer is roughly $500.

If i install the changer does it affect the warranty on the car's electrical components? Or does it not matter at all.
  • jcobyjcoby Member Posts: 140
    I am extremely impressed with the new Corolla and am praying that I will be able to get one later this year. It is a much better value than the Civic; I have the 2002 Civic brochure to make comparisons. To save you all some trouble, I will sum it up this way: you basically can get the unoptioned Corolla LE equipped better than the Civic EX (except for the EX's standard moonroof and ABS) for a price lower than the Civic LX!!! Just some of the competitive advantages over the higher priced but sparsely equipped Civic LX: standard keyless entry, more powerful engine (130hp vs. 117), larger tires (195/65r15 vs. 185/65r14), standard CD player, standard outside temperature gauge, convincing wood-tone trim, availability of moonroof, ABS, leather, 3-in-1 sound system w/6 speakers, a much more beautiful, upscale Lexus-like interior ambience, certainly a smoother and quieter ride, easier entry-and exit, far more pleasing exterior styling, more storage spaces and just more "little" touches that makes the Corolla seem like a more complete car. The Civic does, however, have a slightly larger interior (around 1 cubic foot), although the Corolla gains the edge over the Civic when comparing moonroof-equipped models. Needless to say, the Corolla will be eating voraciously into the sales of Civic (at least in my opinion). What is so odd is that Honda usually prices their cars so competively that Toyota can't come in and offer a better-equipped competitive model for less as in this case. Although I am not the usual 21-year old (my tastes are more comparable with a 40-year old person - I am a big Camry fan), I do believe that they have initially succeeded in crafting a Corolla that will lower the median age of the Corolla buyer; just as many of you have suggested, I suggested to Toyota (which I am sure they were already aware of) that they will need to offer a wide assortment of TRD accessories and possibly the 180-hp VVTL-i engine to really entice more young adult buyers. Although I will not be the first person at the dealership to buy a fully-optioned Toyota Corolla LE (because of my financial situation), I will hopefully have the title to a new or very slightly used 2003 Corolla LE before Dec 31, 2002!
    One thing I am somewhat concerned about is how many entry-level Camry owners will instead opt for a top-line Corolla; I am one of them! I recently rented a 2002 Camry and found much more interior space than I will ever need.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I want to know optional pkg. prices, accessory prices, destination fees, etc. Anybody know where I can find this?
    PT Cruiser, Protege5, Civic, Sentra, etc. - watch out!!

Feel the goooood VIBE-ration, feel the action!! Matrix and Vibe are coming! :)

TGIF, have a good weekend everyone! :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    is now available at www.toyota.com. go to the "build your own" section.
    Check it out: An LE automatic with the options package that includes ABS, All-Weather Guard, and Cruise Control, plus the accessory 15inch Alloy Wheels, and Carpeted Floormats/Trunkmat... prices out at an MSRP of 17,216, including dest.
    Toyota certainly has a contender!!!!
    ~alpha
    Check cars.com in their "new part" of the new car area on the main page. It has pricing for the 2003 Corolla. Some of the color choices are wrong though and just a few prices are missing but you can equipt one and see the MSRP and invoice prices.
  • readytobuy8readytobuy8 Member Posts: 22
    When are the 03 Corolla's going to reach the dealerships?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    If it did work, and you could save money by buying in Canada, your spedometer as well as your odometer would be reading in Kilometers. I wouldn't like that.
    I heard in February
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    should be in dealerships last week of January. Matrix coming first week of February.

: )

Mackabee
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    When I enter my Chicago-area zip code into the "Build your own" engine at toyota.com, I cannot build any 2003 Corolla with ABS/side airbags except the LE with automatic transmission.

No CE's, No S's, and No LE 5-speed.

That is soooooo disappointing.

Mackabee, do you think would I be able to have the dealer order a 5-speed LE with ABS for me, or am I stuck with whatever the powers that be think is best for my region?

Question #2 is what is in Preferred Equipment Package 1? I find no explanation on the website.

Can't wait to get a look at the Corolla and Matrix at the Chicago Auto Show.

twist
  • jjy1jjy1 Member Posts: 26
    OK, just recently bought a new silver 2002 Corolla LE with Cruise, keyless entry, cd, mudguard, extra val pack #2 for 15100 drive out (hard fought, but thought was a good deal). Bought from a nice guy by the name of Mike Jackson at Mike Calvert Toyota in Houston, highly recommend him. Pretty good experience overall.

If you're in Houston do not buy from Sterling McCall Toyota. They tried to rip me off the first time I went to the dealership (quoted me an outrageous price). Then they lied about a phone price quote (baiting me to come in), had the gall to substitute a sales manager with another - saying that the guy I talked to over the phone got 'mysteriously lost'. Even the sales associate was confused and amazed at the run around that I was getting. The worst part is that they tried to get an asian manager to deal with me since I am asian. That pissed me off the most! I walked out so pissed!(never been so mad) Not only have they lost a customer, from now on I will advise people to not ever buy from them (funny thing is that I bought a car from them about 8 years ago, too bad how things go south sometimes).
    all cars sold in canada now have kph/mph on the speedo. only the odometer would show kilometers.

very, very few cars show only kph on the speedo.

i heard corolla/matrix wont be out until end of feb./beginning of march.
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    On paper, the Matrix's 123-130 hp base engines lead me to believe that the non-GT Matrixes will be underpowered vehicles, especially with auto trannies. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but I think Toyota should offer the Rav4's newly tweaked 2.0 liter 148 hp engine as the base Matrix engine.
  • gman40gman40 Member Posts: 15

4200 rpm the optional vvt-li is rated for 130 ft lbs,but at 6800rpm, so the non XRS matrixes I beleive will feel lively operating lower in
    the powerband. And this set up is probably better for the 4wd versions having the extra grunt at a lower rpm. I agree more power is needed, however under normal driving conditions I don't think you will feel the extra power until the rpm's really get up there in the XRS versions.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I really dont think the base engine is going to underpower the Matrix in its non-awd application. Its not like the engine is saddle with a huge amount more weight than in the Corolla, plus, if you've read about that engine in the context of the new Corolla (in the Feb issue of Car and Driver), Toyota has tweaked it from its present version to enhance torque breadth through the powerband... remember.. the 125lb/ft is only a MAX rating... it matters how long the engine holds its torque rating around that figure.
    ~alpha
  • tlindemantlindeman Member Posts: 16
    I got a chance to see the 2003 Corolla at the Detroit auto show yesterday. The model on display was a red "S" model with the ground affects equipped with a 5 spd. The biggest differences between it and my 2001 Civic sedan seemed to be the seats...Corolla seats sit noticeably higher and are a little softer and more padded than my Civic. Interior room is about the same. Styling is handsome (ground effects look better in person than in photos) and paint and build quality appear first-rate. I can't wait to drive one with a 5 spd. as I'm considering "dumping" my Civic this spring. The Civic has been a major disappointment...great drivetrain but has an incredibly bad suspension and has had many "niggling" problems. I also lingered at the Hyndai display (they still have that funky new smell) Mitsubishi (the only Lancer on display was locked!...what's the deal?...couldn't find a rep. to open it...you'd think it was a concept car. Oh well, not many people looking at it anyway. I'm still impressed with the Protoge...well built and comfortable but Mazda/Hyundai/Ford etc. need to come into the 21st century with competitive engine technology like Honda and Toyota (SULEV ratings, high mpg and power) if they want to compete. All produce great small cars (Protoge, Elantra, Focus) but they are a little lacking in mileage ratings especially with automatics. The biggest surprise to me was the Daewoo display relegated to the basement along with Kia (although Kia did have a Sedona minivan on display upstairs...if you actually wanted to sit in one you had to go downstairs). The new Leganza (Magnus?) was a beauty. Incredibly comfortable and stylish with a straight 6 engine. They also had a new vehicle based on the Nubira platform which was a high-roof minivan-type vehicle. It also had some neat feautures (swiveling passenger's seat, under-floor storage, 3-split rear seat) and was very comfortable and innovative. Although I wouldn't consider one of their vehicles until they work out the GM buyout, they could be a strong contender in the small car market given their world wide reputation for value and reliability. All in all had a great time (got the sore feet to prove it...was there for 6 hours). Concept vehicles were also neat especially the retro-designed Chevy Belair and Chrysler Pacifica wagon/minivan.
    Do you think other Civic owners will be disappointed in their Civics if they were to see a new Corolla?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    After you have test driven and/or bought a Corolla, let us know what you think of road noise/quietness versus the Civic.

I, and many others, love Hondas but could never buy one, not even an Accord, because they are so relatively NOISY!!!!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I've heard that factory leather may be an option in the LE 03 Corolla. Can anyone confirm? Small and economical on gas doesn't have to mean you can't get luxury items. Thanks.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Leather is an option on the LE, but not on the Sport. Go figure!