Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I thought 'saturnboy' would never consider another brand than a Saturn. Will your screen name change soon?

Anyway, a rumor going around is that either all manufacturers will offer longer warranties like the Koreans, or as soon as sales get up to a good level, the Koreans will return to average warranties. Which do you all think?

I would rather get a used Corolla then a new Kia.
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    I would get almost anything else than a KIA.....
    With the exception of Chryslers/Dodge.....

I doubt that other manufacturer will increase their warranty to match Hyundai/KIA. Its mainly a sales pitch, since its only valid to the original owner. Afterward, it goes back to 3/36K & 5/60K for any subsequent owner.
    I doubt Hyundai/KIA will lower their warranties either, unless they have extreme # of warranty works....which I fears what will happen with KIA, unless they cleanup their act quickly. At least they're own by Hyundai now.
  • saturnboysaturnboy Member Posts: 89
    I drove a 91 Civic Hatchback and was blown away by how fun it was to drive. It felt like it had much more power then my 98 Saturn, and it handled like it was on rails. I am looking at Civic's, hoping they remain true to their fun to drive character.
    I don't think most automanufacturer's will extend thier warranties to compete with Korean cars, the korean car companys like hyundai/kia will most likely cut thier good warranties when their reputation improves. Remember , dodge/plymouth/chrysler had the 7/70,000 warranty, and when people thought thier cars weren;t crap anymore, they dropped it. Imo, their still crap :)
    If you could compare a 91 civic with 98 saturn...then either honda is that good, or saturn is really lagging a few years back on their car compared to their japanesse counterpart :)
    It should be no contest though, the 2001 civic shoould be much better than the 91, although they did loose the double wishbone suspension from the previous generation, but they also improve rides and passenger space as well.
    Well, the Civic hatch is fun to drive. I failed to mention that my car is quieter believe it or not, yes , Saturn's can be quiet especially since starting in 98, Saturn received engine improvements to deaden excess noise. Also, my 98 Saturn rides more comfortably, would much rather go on vacation in my car then my friends Civic.
    I heard that since the 2001 Civic's lost thier wishbone suspension that their kind of soft riding too. Maybe that will be a good thing ?
    Well, thats kind of depend on the driver. I bet the typical rice-boy enthusiast won't be happy because of the probable performance drop, but other driver would appreciate the softer ride and more quiet cabin, as well as extra room.
    How soon are you from purchasing the new car? Beginning of new model-year makes it a bit harder to get lower prices.
    I have a ways to go before I will actually buy or lease a new car. Im constantly car shopping/comparing new models,etc. Probably about 6-9 months before I buy. Should give the Honda dealers/salesman time to realize that "their shi* does stink" and their sales games won't fly with me. They or who ever can either sell me the car I want at the price I want, or I will buy something else. I do like the softer ride, but also want something that handles decent
  • juniek1juniek1 Member Posts: 3
    If you want to purchase a Corolla for a good price, consider a 2000 Chevy Prism. I just purchased an LSI with a 4 speed automatic, CD and Chrome wheels for $13,700 plus tax. This includes A $2000 rebate. The car is loaded with air, cruise, PW ,remote entry,larger tires, power mirrors, etc. I was even able to apply points from my GM charge card. Bottom line, I paid 12,900 with tax.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Any newer Corolla owners notice a soft brake pedal on their cars? Got a 2001 LE with front disk and rear drum and no ABS. I think the brakes are soft. I wonder if this is normal? Also, is there supposed to be a seatbelt warning buzzer to go along with the seatbelt warning light?
  • karegkareg Member Posts: 1
    yes. i also found the brake soft. also it seemed to make some noise also. regarding the seatbelt, i think there is a warning ring also.
  • jsleesijsleesi Member Posts: 33
    terceltom1,

I have 1999 Corolla CE, I had mush pedal once in a while, when I checked my break fluid reservoir
    found alot of black particles floating inside the
    reservoir. I took to deal, they told me that some one put wrong fluid, I had to pay about $1600 for replaceing master cylinder, rear and front etc.

I talked with Toyota people, they flushed and replaced the master cyl under warranty.

Now I have no problems.

js lee
  • vladyvlady Member Posts: 44
    IMHO, someone who put wrong brake fluid into your car was probably a dealer you bought the car from. Otherwise sounds lame or you have a brake service(any services) done somewhere else. So did you pay $1600?
  • dandodgedandodge Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any deals on new Corollas? I'm in the San Francisco area and am in the market for a new Corolla. Where are prices with respect to invoice?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Pick up a copy of the Friday Chronicle; read the display ads from the bigger dealers. This is a starting point. Most will sell you a loaded LE automatic for less than $15k + taxes. Have a look and make some calls for comparison...these cars tend to trade very close to invoice plus a few hundred $...even better at end of month.
    I don't think you can invoice out a LE loaded for under 15K. Unless your version of loaded is different from mine.Moonroof,Goldpackage,alloy wheels, C.D.player,RS3010 security system,spoiler etc.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Lord, no, of course not! My definition of loaded is a/c, cruise control, power pkg, automatic, mats, and yes, that price included the alloys: $14,888 was the offered price.

Why do you want a sunroof in an air-conditioned car? and the other stuff, especially the gold junk and spoiler are examples of individual taste [or lack thereof...I think they're called spoilers on passenger cars because they spoil the looks of the car].

I agree that adding the CD and basic security system would be things I would need to do...but my point was that no dealer in a competitive urban area needs to see more than a few hundred over invoice on this car. Corollas are commodities: in any large urban market, there will be ads the help benchmark the price. I was suggesting that the original questioner start with the most accessible source...the local paper. In the Chron, these cars are regularly featured and not difficult to deal on.
    Obviously, there are times when fresh air is welcomed through the windows or moonroof. Just because a car is equipped with airconditioning doesn' t mean you would use it 100% of the time.The description moonroof leads me to believe that the roof would be open in the evening hours when the cooler air is present and A.C. is not needed.Where your desription of sunroof leads me to think of it being open in the daytime heat.Besides some of us enjoy dressing up our vehicles to make them more pleasant to look at and enjoy more when driving.But like you stated it is all a matter of personnal preference. Also, if your not going to dress it up or add and appealing extras why would you want a security system in your corolla when it would not be attractive to steal? But at least we know why we did not agree on our invoice prices.
  • kentfeng11kentfeng11 Member Posts: 3
    I spot a next generation corolla on my neighbor's (the owner works at a Toyota dealership) driveway here in Toronto. The car have no liscence plate on and i guess it is probably a emmision test vehicle or something like that. To me, it look very small from outside, kinda like a bigger echo. I think the car is already on sale in Japan, i am just suprised to see it here now.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    WOW! If you get another chance, or maybe you can even go out of the way, can you snap a picture of it and post it? I would really like to see the next generation Corolla in the U.S.

I don't know about the appearance, but the next generation corolla on paper is something like 5.3" longer and 3.7" taller than the current corolla. Hmmmm....
    Are you sure it wasn't Toyota's new hybrid electric/gas model " PRIUS" which is already on sale here I believe.
  • kev2000kev2000 Member Posts: 3
    Did anybody here get the special price on the ad? I saw 4 corollas le on sale at 13477 and called them at 10am - they don't open til 9am - and I was told two are gone!?! Though this is not a good sign that they really have any cars at this price, I still went to take a look in the afternoon and I called them 30 minutes before I left home and I was told two were still there. And when I got there, only one was left and it has 1011 miles on it! I didn't waste more time and walked out when they wanted to make me stay longer.

I got a good deal by the ad price before on a Civic. I can't say the Honda dealer is much better, but this Toyota dealer just reached a new level. I heard there are lots of tricks in loss leaders. Did anyone else have this kind of experience and did you find some way to sort of "get back" to them?
    Hi everyone. Check this out.
    http://motorshow.toyota-europe.com/g/g01_03.html
    Why american design soo poor?
  • everydayeveryday Member Posts: 53
    Checked it out: Because American design tastes are far inferior to European designs. Can you really compare Volvos and MBs to Fords and GMs. No. I'm just glad the Japanese perfer to imitate European.
  • everydayeveryday Member Posts: 53
    Is the Avensis supposed the Camry class car?
    I don't think it's a Camry class car. There is a Toyota Camry in Europe. And there is a Toyota Corolla (the redesigned one, the one we will get 2003). Celica is also there.

From the looks, I would guess that the Avensis looks like something between a compact (Corolla) and a midsize (Camry), maybe kind of like a Nissan Altima class of large compacts.

The spec sheet said it uses the same Corolla engine as the one we use now, except it's updated, and make 129 hp (instead of 125 hp). Weighing in at around 2800 lbs, it would seem to confirm it's a class in between the Corolla (2400 lbs) and the Camry (3200 lbs).

Why don't we have it here? It's called we always get the short end of the stick when dealing with a non-U.S based company, not only that styling in the U.S almost always looks bad when next to a Euopean.
  • crieckecriecke Member Posts: 37
    wenyue If it will be 2003 will the 2001 be the
    car for 2002? Maybe with facelift? Charlie

I just turned 6000 on my 2000 CE great car.
    In the U.S, the 2001 Corolla just recieved a face-lift, gave it a much more agressive look. Besides the new S-trim, there is not much new for the 2001 Corolla in the U.S. Since the current generation of Corollas first went on sale in the U.S in 1998, it's redesign will be 2003 (going on sale fall 2002).

Current Corolla (1998 model) actually went on sale in Japan (and probably Europe as well) as 1995 model. They always get the good stuff first, U.S last. So they got the total redesign for their 2001 model, which we will not recieve until our 2003 model. Sucks doesn't it? :) At least we know what's coming in little less than 2 years from now.
  • wordman93wordman93 Member Posts: 36
    Sorry to just barge in the conversation, but my girlfriend just went and bought a 2000 Corolla CE(Automatic Trans) for $13,188. It was a demo model with 5k miles on it. She had been looking at Honda Civics (EX) and the Nissan Sentras. After everything was said and done the car came out to be $15,300 with no down payment and some negative equity of $1,800. Could she have done better? She didn't plan on buying a car last night, but she really liked the Corolla which reminded her of her 1991 Geo Prism that was totaled.
    is this going to be a car that I will be able to keep for a long time based on reliability and low maintenance cost....Thanks for any responses!
    We need to know what the exact specification of the CE, and the price/fee/tax break down before we can give you an idea.
    generally speaking, yes, it will still be running ok more than 10 years down the road. You will probably get sick and tired of seeing it before it dies on you.
  • jsleesijsleesi Member Posts: 33
    vlady,

I went all the way to regional Toyota rep., they told me that, they never had such a problems.

Local dealer still doesnt want to help me but regional mgr okayed the defect as under warranty,

They replaced master cyn. 2 front cap. rear cap.

No cost to me. Some reason local dealer don't want to help customers for some reason. I am wondering, if they do the warranty service, they may get less money? I don't know.

Now I have a good break and no black particles floating inside reserver.

Thanks for your asking result.
  • 2bfree2bfree Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just used the defrost for the first time on my 2001 Corolla the other day, and I noticed something a bit strange (to me). It uses the AC, even though the AC button is deactivated. (I just wanted it to use outside air.) Non-defrost modes do not have this "feature." I'm curious if it's supposed to be this way....
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Yes, it is supposed to work that way. This is the first generation Corolla that works this way (my 93 doesn't run the A/C with defrost) - but a lot of new cars run the A/C with defrost, including my Legacy.

It takes a while to get used to, but it does make the defogging process faster in damp weather.
  • deamonj97deamonj97 Member Posts: 5
    I've been looking at a '95 Corolla with 110000 miles on it. The exterior is perfect; the interior has a few minor problems, mostly confined to stains and cigarette burns on the back seat. In addition, one of the power windows does not work, but it is in the rear and so not much of an issue. During test drives, everything performed perfectly, and we didn't notice any problems. I'm having it checked for any mechanical trouble at an auto shop tomorrow afternoon, and assuming all goes well, what would be a good offer for this car? Edmund's lists it at just under 6000 with the options it has (It is a DX), which include AC, power windows/locks, and AM/FM tape player. Blue book price is higher, just over 7000, I believe, but that does not take the condition into account. The dealer is asking 5500, but I believe I can get it down to 4500, perhaps including tax and title.
    A couple days ago a saw a 2000 Corolla CE for $14610 5k miles(even floor mats included). Probably they gave a reasonable price for a demo. But the price depends on options.
    have you looked into the Edmunds's new used car pricing. Click the appraisal button at the Corolla's page, now you can enter the condition of the car, along with your zip code to get a more accurate price.

If you can get it for $5000, I think you will be doing pretty well (depends on how bad the stain and the other flaws are).
  • zerotolerancezerotolerance Member Posts: 3
    I heard the US 2003 Corolla will skip over the new version that's in Europe right now, and will be a whole new design. personally I would like to see that since I don't want something that is old and just brought over from Europe. Also I checked the Japanese site and their specs had a short car, approx. 171 inches and tall at 58 inches. That doesn't sound too Corollaish for the American market.
    If Toyota does what it has done in the past, then you can expect the Japanese/European corolla being carried over to the U.S. That's what Toyota did for the current Corolla, they introduced it in 1998 when it has been out since 1996 in Japan.

The 2003 Corolla looks truely impressive. I would be very happy if they just carried it over from Japan to U.S. It's longer, taller, roomier, more powerful. It's selling extremely well in Japan right now, Toyota had to extend work weeks to fill in for the unexpected high demands. Too bad, the U.S has to wait until 2003 for it.

If by some strange reason, Toyota decided to spend more money to develope another Corolla just for U.S, I think it would be a further improvement on the Japanese Corolla. It will be very interesting.
    The CE she purchased has power windows and locks, cruise control, and floor mats. I think that it probable has everything with the exception of the moonroof. It really doesn't matter now rather or not the deal was good, because thus far she is completely happy with the car....Thanks all...
    I read the Motortrend review and several others which claim that Corollas have terribly soft suspension and poor cornering ability, and not responsive in emergency situations or steering is bad at high speeds. Some have even gone as far as saying its dangerous to drive this car on the highway? Is this true? I'm planning on buying a car and am considering the Corolla, however can the average car driver safely drive this vehicle without excessive windsheer and flying around and have good control at 90mph on the interstate?
    Also would replacing the default tires to some performance speed rated all season tires improve the poor handling? and by how much?
    Corollas aren't sports cars - but they're not dangerous to drive. I've driven two of them cross-country several times - one up to 195,000 miles, and the other currently has 80,000 miles.

I won't say they're the most comfortable long-distance cruiser you'll find - but they're perfectly acceptable and safe at any reasonable highway speed.
    The reviews from these automotive magazines are for the auto-enthusists. They tend to side with performance at expense of such quality as quiet/softness. These quality is more appreciated by consumer magzines for the ordinary folks such as Consumer Report, ect. Corolla is recommended by most buying guides I have seen.

The car's suspension is tuned to the soft side. Which means, it will have a more noticable body roll during high speed cornering or turning. The suspenion is tuned to give possible the smoothest ride and quietest cabin in the class, at the expense of hard conering capability. Know the car's handling limit, don't try to push beyond the design specs (like take corner at 40+ mph), and the car will handle very predictably. Being one of the most populous car in the world today, it would be hard to believe it being dangerous.

The cars is a very capable highway commuter. The excellent power plant, possibly the best powerplant in the class, gives it very good ride on the highway. Since handling on the highway is very limited (at more than 60 mph, no car can survive a turning of steering wheels that's more than few degrees). High way commuting is probably the car's forte.

The car has very little windsheer. The body has one of the lowest drag coefficent in the class, at 0.31. That means it experience less wind forces than most others with high drag coefficient.

This car won't impress you with it's ability to take corners, though it might impress you with its good acceleration and a quiet/soft ride, and the gas milage as well.

If you are looking for a sportier car, to push the envelop during the tight turns, you should get the Nissan Sentra SE, or to a less extent, the Mazda Protege ES. They are sportiest car in the class. Especially the Sentra SE combines great power with sharp handling.

But if you are looking for a smooth quiet ride for your everyday commute, corolla is a good choice.

In the end, test drive the car yourself. And know what kind of driving experience you are planning to do, (twist and turn fun, go for Sentra; soft and quiet, get corolla). Good luck.

Oh. If you are planning on switch tires. A low profile performance tire can probably decrese the body roll somewhat, and help you take the turn faster. But like all sports oriented mods, they come at the expense of quietness and softness. Also, I wouldn't expect it to completely change the car's personality. For that, you need to get Toyota Race Development's sports suspension stuff.

These things will most likely make a night and day difference for you car's handling characteristics.

You can find it at www.trdusa.com.

If I remember right, Sports strut and spring set (4), range from $450 to $800.

They also have a performance package, that has even more ellaborate modes, from turbo charger to super fance suspensions. The cost tend to be $2500 or more, some of the cost is because these performance packages include stuff such as racy skirts and other mods that's purely for looks. You should speak to a user called Danniswade. He has gotten quite involved, and modified his corolla to a monster.

But my view is, spring and struts for few hundred bucks might make sense. But if you are really looking to do some hard cornering rather than quiet driving, you should be buying a Sentra in the first place.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Changing the tires to performance tires will enhance and change the Corolla from "I don't thank so" to "lets have some fun". The Corolla will not turn into a Celica, but it will increase the handling of the car at little or no expense of ride and noise. Been there done that. I have 89 and 95 models.
  • rbacsafrarbacsafra Member Posts: 85
    My 90 Corolla LE with 97,700 miles and orignal everything still runs great. I'm a proud Toyota die hard and my Corolla just backs up my enthusiasm. After putting the Michelin X-ones...the ride comfort and quietness improved big time over the Michelin MX4s we put on it and the original...ahem..Firestones that came on it from Fremont (NUMMI). Those tires were terrible.
    tried out the TRD suspension with the sports struts and springs? At $500-$800, it doesnt' sound too expensive. I'm curious as to the effects.
    What do you think about this? Since my price range is less than $16000 I think I might get a Accord DX with no AC no nothing. I think it has a big engine and big car qualities that I like, all the power equipment and luxuries I can do without for now, what do you think? A strip down Accord at $16000 or fully loaded Corolla or Civic at same price?
    I wouldn't go for a Accord DX. I think if you are going for an Accord, find any way you can to at least scrape together enough money to buy the LX.

The DX uses cheap engine (135 hp), and is a stripper, I wouldn't go for it. Without A/C, you will find it almost impossible to sell the car later down the road (if you wanted to).

Just my 2 cents.
  • vinsimvinsim Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,
    I am an ASU student looking to buy a cheap car with low miles to take me from "point A to pont B", atleast for a couple of years. I have been considering this Ford Taurus, 95 model with 49K miles on it. It's priced at $5000. Shall I go for it? Does this model have any bad maintainace history? Please help...
    But if you're looking for the fit-finish-polish-reliability that an Accord (or Civic or Corolla) offer, you'll be disappointed with the Saturn L series.

It is not up to the competition (even the Taurus, and the Daewoo Leganza and Hyundai Sonata have better fit and finish) from other automakers.