Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I've read many comments here about how hard it is to keep the car on the road because of the Corolla's tall and narrow profile. I immediately wonder, what will this car be like in winter driving? This is obviously a concern for all Canadians, as well as Americans in the upper regions of the US.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I can honestly say that I sat down in a brand new Corolla LE in the dealer's showroom a while ago and I was so surprised to see that there was LESS legroom than in the previous gen. Corolla! I'm 6'5", and although I fit in OK in the previous gen., it might be a problem for me in the current Corolla. On the plus side, the interior is fantastic, but I'm not really fond of the way the instrument cluster is tilted. It seems to point towards the ceiling, which I think looks ridiculous.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    We tested a automatic last night, very nice. The seats/ seating position were the weak spot IMO, but over all we liked the car as much as we liked the Ion (but for some different reason). The Protege is still in the running and we still want to test a Sentra and maybe a Focus.

I think we will buy in the next 3 months, perhaps a deal or Christmas promotion may push it a little sooner. So many good choices these days.
  • 914914 Member Posts: 15
    I have owned a Honda, Mercedes, VW, Porsche, and now my first Toyota - a 2003 Indigo S Corolla. The car does what is supposed to - provide basic, economical, and quality transportation. I love the car - even with the Goodyear tires. Although I have four new Michelin Arctic Alpins ready to be mounted on four new rims to be used this winter.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Is it just a legroom issue, or is it also a problem of a seat cushion that is not long enough to provide support for longer legs?
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    Do your homework on the Focus... It has enough recalls to fill a book and the reliability is quite poor compared to the others that you are testing. No, I'm not down on the car, facts are facts.
  • soure1soure1 Member Posts: 9
    I've had a five-speed '03 LE since January. I'm 6'3". It seems to be an issue of the either steering wheel being to far away or the pedals being too close. Car & Driver thought the pedals are too close. So you can adjust for one but not the other.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I just think that for someone of my boyfriend's height (6'5) the seat track doesn't go back far enough. He drives a 00 Civic right now and has above average room in it and is comfortable but there is no way he could drive the Corolla even if it was just to the end of the driveway. That's a bummer because I like the outside and the inside of the new Corolla.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    I think you missunderstood my statement about fitting in the Corolla. I was not addressing legroom as you were in your answer to me. My posting to fgf001 was about headroom not legroom. If you read my posting closer I did state that the 2003 could be different then the 2001. I would not know that since my car is a 2001. Therefore I could only tell you about how I fit into mine. So tell me how do you fit into a Nissan Sentra anyway ??
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    The headroom is ok if 6 foot 3 and under, front driver legroom is a joke if you are tall.. Damn foot rest needs to be moved .. The tire saga of mine continued..Toyota did not do anything for me,(what a surprise) but Goodyear gave me FULL credit on the notorious crap Integrity tires and replaced them for 80 bucks with a new set of 4 Goodyear Regatta 2 ones which supposedly is a better tire.. At least it is not as skinny as the lousy Integrity tire which is stock..Hopefully, they will have some GRIP to them in the rain.....Great customer service at Goodyear..Take a hint Toyota dealers!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What's this about being 6'2" and not fitting into the '03 Corolla? I'm only 5'10" (ok, 5'9-1/2") with a 32" inseam and the driving position is very uncomfortable to me also. Darn shame too, because except for that I was really impressed with the Corolla LE.

Vuefor2, if you are looking for a small car with a great driver's seat, try out the Elantra. It has what Car and Driver called the best seat adjuster on the planet--pretty high praise. It's the most comfortable driver's seat I've every sat in outside of maybe a BMW or Benz.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    I have a 1995 Corolla (1.6litre, 3 speed auto). Recently I have been experiencing a starter problem. I turn the key and (especially when the engine is cold) get just a clicking noise. I can do this sometimes 3-5 times and then the engine will start. When the engine is warm it usually fires right up. Anybody have any ideas? The battery is original (7+ years) and despite it's age appears to still be in good shape although I wouldn't rule anything out. Anybody have any ideas what the problem may be?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    starter brushes are worn.
    I know about the Focus issues, but they seem to be mostly resolved now. We tested a Sentra a few days ago, but we didn't care for it too much. Top choices now are the Ion, Protege and Corolla. We will still test the Focus as our friend says she loves hers and it has won a lot of awards. The 5 door hatch model is particularly attractive to me.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes it is the brushes, although with a battery that old it may also need replacing soon too. Word of advice - take the car to an an auto electric repair place. A new starter is $3-400 installed at the dealer (less at an independent) but you can have the starter rebuilt for less than $50. I paid $90 to have the starter removed, rebuilt and replaced.
  • kscbruinkscbruin Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys, I went to look at a 03 Corolla LE over the weekend, and after reading your posts about being too tall for a corolla. I sat in there for like 20 min, trying to find a good comfortable position... and couldn't find one.

For those of you that have the car and is around 6 feet, is it possible to remove that stupid foot rest? Because if it's possible to remove it, we would gain some 2" of leg room for our left leg.

I agree also that the track of the seat is not enough, I wish it can go back another 1 to 2 inches. But oh well. I really want the Corolla, but if I can't fit comfortably, then I'll have to fork over more money to get a Camry.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    kscbruin:

Have you ever thought of aftermatket seats? I had two Recaro seats installed and there just is no comparison. Now I could drive that car for days without any bodyparts being sore! (my car is a 01 Toyota Echo).
    and how much did they cost?
  • sunsokosunsoko Member Posts: 10
    I have '01 Corolla S with 40K on it. I'm happy with this car over all except the seat. My seat is sqeaking when I change position while I'm driving. I bought this car lesss than 2 years ago. I wonder how well it's going to hold up for another six or seven years.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    They came out of a VW GTI of a friend of mine. I only paid labour for installation. They look almost identical to the left most seat you will see if you go to:

http://www.recaro-nao.com/seattechnologies/main.htm

I kind of wish the seats were a little more accommodating also. I'm 5'11 and I had trouble also though not likely as bad as you. Most small cars seem to be made for small people these days. Taller guys are not considered.
    I think the Corolla has plenty of legroom, If I put the seat all the way back I can barely reach the accelerator. Yes that silly dead pedal on the left side is too close, but I don't put my left foot there (need it to use the clutch, so it is not an issue. I am 6' tall with a 32 inch inseam. I do sit upright with my posterior against the back of the seat - I notice that many of my friends tend to sit kind of slouching with their rears in the middle of the seat. This means they are closer to the pedals. I drove the car of a 5'8 friend (with 30" inseam) and Had to move the seat up because of the way he sits.
  • kscbruinkscbruin Member Posts: 10
    Yeah, what can we do? I fit just fine in the 98-02 Corollas, and when I first read the specs. the new one is supposed to be bigger and the leg room (numbers wise) is as good if not better than the old gen. I think there's got to be a way to remove that stupid foot rest. But I am now more likely to look towards a Camry even though I don't need a BIG car. I wanted a corolla for a daily commuter. Small, fuel sipper, and reliable. But didn't think it would be THAT small!

oh well... hope Toyota redesigns that foot rest for 2004. Cause I think I still have some time to wait for a new car.

Any ideas guys on when a 2004 Corolla would be out? Since the 2003's came out in March 2002?
  • corolla0310corolla0310 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I just got my 2003 Corolla LE and it comes with power door lock. Question: Should it automatically lock the door once I drive the car? Mine is not doing so. Can someone tell me if there is something wrong with my power lock or LE doesn't have this feature.

Thanks!!
    It does not lock automatically. Nothing is wrong.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    that is affirmative - power locks dont lock up when you start to drive away. you can however, install an alarm system (hook up to your power locks) that will automatically lock all doors when you start up the car and it will open all or the driver side door (only) when you turn off your ignition.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    The Toyota security system(RS3001)will auto matically lock your doors when you start the car or you can program it any other way you like.
    I have the factory security system in an '03 Corolla. I guess that it is not the RS3001 mentioned above as it is does not lock the doors when the car is put in gear nor can it be programmed that I'm aware of. The remote does lock/unlock the doors and arm/disarm the security system. When armed it is said to have an ignition interrupt to prevent the car from being started.
  • carfan11carfan11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Corolla CE, it runs well except for a noisy engine, especially when you reach 70 miles/hr, you can feel the engine works extremely hard. Do you guys have the same problem in your car ? Or it's normal simply due to the 3-speed trans without overdrive ?
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    it's the 3 speed auto. Same engine with a 5 speed manual is very quiet.
  • behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    I am 6'2" with 34 inseam and have no trouble driving a Corolla automatic, 2003. Footrest is fine too. I moved the seat all the way back, and up as high as it would go, and have been fine ever since.
    It's the 5 speed seating position that bothers us tall folks. It's not an issue with the auto.
    your alarm should have the capability to lock/unlock your doors when you start the car. basically most alarm systems nowadays can do that. it's just a matter of hooking it up and programming it. some systems have built in relays to do this while others require you to buy extra relays for this feature.
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    the engine is little noiser than I would like but it is not too bad, it is expected from cars in this category. does anybody else have hard time closing trunk?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just read a quote from a Toyota U.S.A. spokesperson that 65% of Corolla buyers are women, so maybe that explains why Toyota seems to have optimized the driving position for shorter drivers. In the same quote, they said the median age of Corolla buyers is now 45.
    My boyfriend is 6'6 with a 38" inseam and he couldn't even sit in the driver's seat comfortable much less drive it regardless of how the seat was positioned.
    Car must appeal to women as my wife prefers it to the Ion and the Protege and I feel the opposite way.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm feeling a bit fiesty today....

Vuefor2, that fact that the car appeals to your wife over the Ion and the Protege means that the car appeals to your wife over the Ion and the Protege.

I sincerely mean no offense, but it doesn't make much sense to extrapolate your wife's preferences into the preferences of over half of humankind.

Ditto for your preferences.

;-)
    civics and corollas are not girl cars. if you are looking for sportiness and power, then buy the civic hatchback Si-R. both 4dr civic and corolla are entry level sedans. they are not 4dr. hotrods.

i will admit that the 03' corolla's front seat is not that comfortable. its narrow and it took me about 2-3 weeks to get used to it.
  • toyotapain2003toyotapain2003 Member Posts: 4
    I have read in these forums where several people are averaging a combined 32-34 mpg with their new 2003 Corolla's. When I bought my car, it went from 27 mpg, to a high of 32 mpg on average. Now, it seems to be going down to 27 mpg with the same driving (mostly interstate). I have had the dealership do a fuel analysis test and they said it was capable of 39.8 mpg. They checked the codes and everything looked ok. Any suggestions or ideas what is causing this? Thanks

I also have ths sulfur rotten smell coming from the vents.. Any ideas on this? It REALLY STINKS!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    A couple of things to look for to maximize your gas milage. First, are you making sure that your overdrive is engaged? Secondly, use the cruise control as much as possible as it is more efficient than keeping the speed manually. Third, every driver is different. Some are more lead footed than others and will get different gas milage as a result. And last, every car is individual as well, so where I know some people are getting in the mid 30's for gas milage, some are getting in the high 20's. These can all affect your gas milage.

As for the sulphur smell, I would suggest trying a different brand of gasoline. Some have a higher sulphur content than others and it may help.
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    corolla is girlshy car, more than last generation, so is volk. bug
    I suppose if you buy a vehicle to compensate for something, then the Corolla might not be your cup of tea - (might want to look into an SUV then). If you buy it for getting from point a to point b, then I don't think it has a gender. ; ^ )
    Maybe the Ford Expeditions and the other "big" SUV "machines" are bought for another reasons.. Captain "Stubby" perhaps?? lol
    All these cars have large female followings. I will be driving our Saturn Vue mostly so it's my wife that has to be happy. She prefers the Corolla, so we may go with that, but who knows.
    Maybe the Ford Expeditions and the other "big" SUV "machines" are bought for another reasons.. Captain "Stubby" perhaps?? lol
    Some cars are designed to be marketed to women specifically. Honda said that the 2001 Civics were targeted for a 24 year old female. I'm sure that other cars are done the same way.
    75% of people driving Saturns, Civics and Corollas are women from what I can see.
  • 2003corolla2003corolla Member Posts: 25
    Is the 2003 Corolla being built in Canada? How are the 2003's built in Canada holding up? (Any rattles, squeaks etc.)
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Cambridge, Ont. plant along with the Matrix. The previous Corolla has built there also