Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• 2003corolla2003corolla Member Posts: 25
    Is there any chance that the Canadian built Corollas are for sale in the midwest? (I live in Wisconsin). I have seen some NUMMI cars.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    We have Corollas built in Japan, California, and Cambridge Ontario. Right here in Wisconsin.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Is the Matrix built in Canada? I don't think it is.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The Matrix IS built in Canada. And ONLY Canada. The Vibe is built at NUMMI, as is the Toyota Voltz, which is the Toyota version of the Vibe sold in Japan.

The Corolla is built in both Canada and the US, in addition to, of course, Japan.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    yes the matrix is only from canada and vibe from california. my corolla was assembled at the cambridge ontario plant which i heard have won numerous awards for producing the most and the best toyota vehicles around.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    Canada?? That's crazy!!

Cars are made all over the place. American cars from Mexico, Japanese cars from Canada. It's hard to keep up with it all. With the U.S. dollar as high as it is, it's probably cheaper to make cars anywhere but here.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Why do you think the Ford, GM, and Chrysler are moving out for production, and the imports are building more in the US.

Last summer Hyundai sealed the deal with Alabama for an assembly plant.

Toyota is supposed to open up a new plant in the US also
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    It will be just outside of San Antonio I do believe.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There are a couple of reasons for opening plants here in the US especially for Japanese carmakers. For Japanese carmakers, there really isn't anywhere in Japan to build anymore. Land prices are exhorbanant. Plus the cost of labor here, even after paying wages higher than those in union plants, is lower than those in Japan. Also you don't have to import parts and raw materials into Japan with all of the tarrifs, then import back into the US with the coresponding tarrifs again.

In comparison, taxes are lessened, labor is cheap, land is cheap, building is cheap, and there are less complications to logistics for building in the US which just so happens at the current time (until China ramps up) to be the largest market for new cars and trucks.
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    My 2003 Corrola was built in Canada and does have a little creek in the right rear corner. Not bad enough to make me take it to the dealer yet, but I will when the car is due for an oil change.
    Besides that ..love the car..

Regards,
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I'm thinking about buying a Corolla sometime next year. I have a long daily commute and would like to have a car that gets great gas mileage.

How many of you, if you had to do it all over again, would still buy the Corolla?
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    I have an '03 LE. I would buy the same car. My only moan is the driver's seat when combined with a 5 speed..it offers zero thigh support. With the automatic it isn't a factor.
    I should have explained further: If you are six feet tall (or better) the seat (w/five speed only) is awful tough on the right leg after driving any distance. Cruise is a must on the highway.
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the response. I don't think the thigh support issue will affect me. I'm 5'1"! You said you have the LE model. Does it have the white guages? What color is your dashboard lights at night?

I'm looking to get a 2003 or 2004 Corolla CE. The only options I want are automatic trans, cruise control, and anti-lock brakes. Any idea how much that'll cost?

Have you had any problems with your 03, being that it is a brand new design?
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    My 2001 Corolla S with the overdrive automatic is now getting over 40 mpg. On my last trip from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe and back, I used one tank of 89 octane and got 40.65 mpg. (I noticed the mileage is slightly less if I use 87 octane)

No complaints in 20 months of ownership!
    The LE has the white faced gauges and they are backlit white at night. I'm sorry I don't have any idea of the cost on the one you want. We bought two '03 LE's and have had zero problems....other than that frickin seat on mine; it's just not made for long legged folks. The other is an automatic so the seat isn't a factor. ABS has been in short supply so you may have to order your car the way you want it. Confirm with the dealer that ABS is an option on the CE model. Good hunting!
    I've taken my 2003 Corrola back to the Toyota dealer from which I purchased it for an oil change. To my surprise and contrary to the Toyota owners manual, the dealer filled the car with 10W-30 oil (the owners manual says use 5W-30) saying it's better. Toyota does say 10W-30 can be used if needed so I'm hoping I'm not damaging the engine. Has anyone run into this problem and am I compromising the engine in using this oil?

Regards,
    Your car is fine, no worries. Unless you live in a climate that goes to 0F or lower everything is cool. I use 10W30 synthetic in my '03 LE.
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    Vlan,

Same here (southeast US). The dealer uses only 10W30, like anybody else in the town. With the climat here, 10W30 is a better choice. I would use mineral 5w30 or beter synthetic 5W30 or 10w30 during winter in the north, though. However, you have to be aware that mineral (dino) 5W30 tend to rely heavily on viscosity modifieres. These shear with heavy service quickly leaving you with effectively 5W20 oil. Thus I would avoid it in the summer and adhere to frequent oil changes.

I know, manual recommends 5w30 yeararound. But you have to understand that some things are recommended not because there are good for car or consumer but they help the manufactures to comply with CAFE or EPA regulations.

Cheers,
    Jacek
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    I certainly do not think you are harming your car at all by using 10W30. I'm not quite sure how using 10W30 would help car manufacturers comply with EPA regulations but I do know that 5W30 is suggested because of the more minute clearances in todays engines versus the cars of old when 10W30 was recommended.
  • lochlyn_decklochlyn_deck Member Posts: 9
    Was wondering what mpg owners of the 2003's are getting with both automatic and standard transmissions, both city and highway figures?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    in my Matrix (same engine as corolla) I went in and said "you will use 5-30 oil right?" to which they replied "if you want us to", so that is what they did.

It says "use 5W-30" right on the oil filler cap!

I want the oil to flow better first thing in the morning, when this thing revs up to like 2000 rpm initially. So I want the 5-30 instead of the 10-30.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Thanks for all the comments about the use of 5w30 vs. 10w30. I asked for 5w30 as well but I'm not sure I got it (I should have watched). My gut feeling is I"m better off with that than 10w30 in the winter. I've written Toyota, let's see how they answer.

-Vlanman
    After 4500 miles I'm getting about 35 MPG with mostly highway driving and low 30s with suburban driving. I don't do much city stop and go.
    The Corrola is a 2003 CE with standard trans..
    Any one know what kind of financing Toyota is offering on the Corolla right now?

Looking at buying, possibly before Christmas.
    One final note regarding oil this is the reply I received from Toyota:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us.

According to the 2003 Owner's Manual, Section 8, we do recommend using 5W-30 oil, however 10W-30 is acceptable as long as the temperature remains above 0 degrees Fahrenheit. The dealership can use Valvoline as long as it is the same oil grade, ILSAC multigrade engine oil.

It further goes on to say I should contact the dealership with any questions.

-V
    Just curious, now that Toyota was in touch with you about 10-30 vs. 5-30 what do you plan on using?
    I guess I'd be inclined to use 5w30 through the winter months since the temp in New England will get down to 0 or below on occasion and 10w30 in the summer for the better viscosity.

Then there's the whole issue of synthetics and partial synthetics?? Should I switch to that? If I do from what I read, I'm stuck there. Usually the last thing to go on my cars is the engine so I will probably skip the synthetics and go with sooner oil changes and save the money..

Regards,

-Vlanman
    Being in New England your car is a prime candidate for synthetics due to the winter temps. The synths flow better (and quicker) to vital parts on cold start up. With the exceptions of Schaeffers blend (internet order) the others aren't worth having. It's not more expensive because your engine is better protected and you can easily go 7500 miles (more with an oil analysis) between changes. Mobil 1 is the only true synthetic that you can buy off the shelf.
    At first I wished I would have waited for the 2003 Corollas with the new body style to get a new car. But after hearing so many complaints about the seats,engine noise,squeaks,etc. I have not experienced any of these problems and am now very happy I got my 2001 when I did. I can honestly say my 2001 has not been back to the dealer for any single thing since the day I bought it back in 2000 except for yearly state inspections. I do my own oil changes so it doesn't even go in for them. I just wonder if you people that did get 2003's are sorry you did? I guess its true what they say about not buying the first model year or change of a car(even Toyotas). Lets hope Toyota gets their act together for 2004.
    i have the 2003 corolla and i dont regret buying it at all. only thing(s) that i regret:
    - wish i got power locks/windows, a/c
    - sort of wish i have an automatic when i'm stuck in traffic :)

since i wanted to save money so i bought the base model so i can't really complain! :)
    Problems are always a factor with new car models. Waiting to see how things are panning out with the new Ions also,
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    I test drove both a Corolla an ECHO last night. I was under the assumption that the ECHO was comparable, but it's not in the same league as the Corolla. It's lacking in acceleration and ride quality.

Well my decision is getting easier.
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. I'm about to do the same thing...compare the Echo with the Corolla. Please tell me more about your reactions to both cars.

Thanks
    I have been surprised by the comments regarding the 2003 problems. I have a 2003 CE and I couldn't be happier with it. I've had not problems other than a little creek that goes away after a minute or two. I'm reserving judgment for a while only becuase all cars seem nice when they have 4000 miles on them (well, except my Olds, that was junk from the start).

But right now, I'd buy another 2003 Corrola in a second.

-V
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    You wrote:
    "I'm not quite sure how using 10W30 would help car manufacturers comply with EPA regulations but I do know that 5W30 is suggested because of the more minute clearances in todays engines versus the cars of old when 10W30 was recommended."

This was in response to my post stating:
    "But you have to understand that some things are recommended not because there are good for car or consumer but they help the manufactures to comply with CAFE or EPA regulations."

Let me elaborate for you.
    CAFE standarts require manufacterers to limit global fuel consumption in the cars produced. The manufacterers often find some fuel savings in decreasing oil viscosity. For example, Ford went recently from 5W-30 to 5W-20 recommendation without ANY changes in some engines and mostly for the fleet fuel savings to satisfy CAFE. I wonder if this is in the best interest of the consumers. Some of this can hold true in the 5W-30 Toyota recommendation. Oil recommendations abroad are frequently diffrent from the ones preached in USA.

As for EPA, as everyone knows, EPA regulates car emmission standards. Oil was reformulated in 1996 (SH-->SJ) to effectively decrease the amount of some antiwear additives (Zn). Zink (like any other heavy metal) is toxic for palladium catalizers and low Zn oil was deemed important for the performance of catalizer conventers in the new low emmission cars.
    The trade-off is that new oils (SJ and SL) are nor as good as SH in fighting engine wear.

As you can see in these examples, some things are recommended not because there are good for car or consumer but they help the manufactures to comply with CAFE or EPA regulations.

5W-30 sounds superior to 10W-30 because has better viscosity in cold. It is true. However, the way mineral oils are formulated, 5W-30 is a 5 weigt base oil with viscosity modyfiers making it behave like 30 oil at engine temp. 10W-30 is a 10 weigt base oils with viscosity modyfiers making it behave like 30 oil at engine temp. Obviously, 5 base oil needs more VI modyfiers. They tend to deteriorate with oil life (oil shearing). The net effect is, after 3k miles or so your 5W-30 behaves more like 5W-20 or so. You can measure this by oil analysis. This is the reason I would stay away from mineral 5W-30 in hot summer. Synthetic 5w-30 is a diffrent story though.
  • m3fanm3fan Member Posts: 30
    Well, I just got a 2003 Corolla CE with A/C and automatic tranny. I share the car with my mom, which is why it has an automatic.

We have owned it for a whole 4 hours and 20km now! :)
    ... and I already have a question: the manual says 87 octane would do, but dealer suggested to use premium fuel. Any opinions on this? I have no problem with using only premium fuel as I want the best for my car. I'm just wondering if it's OK or advisable.

Thanks!
  • windup_birdwindup_bird Member Posts: 23
    dealers, especially sales people, do not necessarily know what they are talking about.
    when it comes to mechanical and operational stuff.

Use 87 - you will be wasting money to use premium in the corolla.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

nippononly is right on. Any fuel above 87 octane is a total waste of money in this car. Who at the dealer told you to use premium? Do break it in by the book.
    87 octane is ok for the corolla as it states in the manual. some cars recommend premium. unless the manual states you need premium then 87 is fine.

my sienna van recommends premium in the manual so i use premium. i use 87 for my '03 corolla as stated in the manual.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    if anything, DO NOT ever use premium in your Corolla. If you do, premium will actually increase the carbon deposits in your engine and exhaust, because the Corolla engine (and any other 4-cylinder engine for that matter) don't change their timing ratio when you use a higher octane engine.

The best gas for your Corolla is the cheapest one you can find. Enjoy driving your new car!
    So I guess what your saying is that Toyota is correct in recommending 5-30 weight oil for colder temps. And I think you would have to agree that todays engines are far more refined and more precise then the engines of the past, therefore it would be benificial to use a lighter oil to get the oil to those moving parts quicker. Maybe these car manufacturers do really care about the performance and longevity of the vehicles they sell and are not just trying to dupe us as you are implying.
  • m3fanm3fan Member Posts: 30
    Thanks everyone! I'm definitely enjoying it. I'll save the premium fuel for the 20th Anniversary GTI that's coming this summer. ;)
    yes, that argument flies for the shift from 10W-30 to 5W-30, but what someone mentioned earlier is the Ford shift from 5-30 to 5-20, which is a lower viscosity for when the engine is at operating temp, which would net Ford better fuel efficiency for their CAFE ratings, but would seem to be detrimental to the engine for no good reason.

anyone with a 2003 corolla notice a drop in their gas mileage since the weather started to get colder?

i noticed that my corolla is not as good on gas mileage right now and i'm assuming it's coz of the cold weather. takes longer to warm up the engine and so on.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    What are 03 owners getting with the automatic? Thanks.
    mine is a 5speed. when i fill up gas and i dont stop after the first click, i just keep going until about the 3rd or 4th click... my car will get at least 400kms. for half a tank of gas. unfortunately, i don't know how many litres i filled up with.

rignt now, coz i warm up the car longer - i get roughly around 300kms. for half a tank. still not bad compared to my sienna which gets only 250-300kms. with 91 octane for half a tank.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    How does the 2002 Corolla compare to the 03 in gas mileage?
    gas mileage can drop in the winter when they change formulation of the gas.