Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• netjaknetjak Member Posts: 4
    When I purchased my Corolla S, I expeted to buy a Japanese car; for the quality.

Later I found out that the car was made in the US. I'm quite dissapointed, but was wondering what everyone thought about the differences.

In regards to doublesix... I've had the car for about a month and I've never noticed any smell... About the rebates. I don't think so. I paid cash, but I know they have some good financing going on.

Gas milage? Whoever told you that is silly. I average about 35MPG. My commute is 50 miles a day. My highway and city miles are about the same...
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    In COLD weather, the car for MANY 2003 Corolla owners, has not been close to 35 miles per gallon. This only seems to most owners in cold states.
    When I purchased my Corolla S, I expeted to buy a Japanese car; for the quality.

Later I found out that the car was made in the US. I'm quite dissapointed, but was wondering what everyone thought about the differences.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Can't imagine where you got the idea that you would be getting a Japanese-made Corolla. 95% of the Corolla products in North America come from Fremont CA [the NUMMI plant] or Canada [Toyota factory]. Both have quality scores that are as good as, or better than, most of the Japanese factories producing cars for export.

Virtually all Honda Civics, most Accords, all Honda SUVs except the CRV, all Honda minivans, most Toyota Camrys, virtually all Sienna minivans, all Toyota Tundra pickups [and their SUV spinoffs], etc ad nauseum, are made in North America. Some Accords are sourced in Mexico.

Japanese-branded cars that are actually made in Japan are the exception, not the rule. Most Lexus and Infinti products are still built in Japan, but probably not for much longer. With Acura, it depends on the model - all TLs, CLs, and MDXs are local.

The Japanese have been extremely successful at the science of setting up overseas assembly operations that are as good as, or better than, those back home. The Germans, unfortunately, have been unable [at least so far] to accomplish that same feat.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Gotta look at first digit of the VIN:

1=USA
    2=Canada
    J=Japan

In looking at inventory of my local dealers, it appears most are made in the USA, though not 95%. Most made in Japan appeared to be LEs or S, at least at a cursory glance.
  • toyotalgaltoyotalgal Member Posts: 13
    My '01 LE was made in Canada - so far the car's been great - no problems, no recalls.
  • corolla03corolla03 Member Posts: 17
    Our 03 Corolla was made in Japan. The sulphur or rotten egg (or sewer gas) smell is really strong. Sometimes sickening. I'm wondering if this is because it was made for Japanese low-sulphur fuel.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    I also have a "01"Corolla. It has very good to me also. While there might not have been any recalls yet there is at least one service bulletin on the car that I know of. If you get a squeal from the belts in cold weather, Toyota is aware of the problem and will replace at no cost the belt,belt tensioner and possibly the power steering pump if it is needed all at no charge. This is just one bulletin that I am aware of because I have this problem and they brought the bulletin to my attention. Bulletins are frequent problems with a particular car or model or part of that car that the manufacturer is aware of and stands good for the faulty part or component on that particular car or model of car. They usually will not tell you about this hidden warranty until you actually experience the problem in question. There are websites where you can actually find out certain bulletins on cars.
    thanks for the info - I don't have the squeal that you mentioned - and I haven't received any kind of notification from Toyota regarding my car - as I said it's been perfect so far - gas mileage has been great too - but I will check the service bulletin websites to make sure -
    terceltom1 - what did you have done to your car at 15,000 miles? Did you have your automatic transmission fluid changed? That is my next scheduled maintenance and I'm trying to determine what should be done - thanks!
    I didn't realize the stat about 95% of Toyota's being manufactured in the US... But, what you said had eased my mind a bit.

Co-workers have Toyota Prius's; and both of them are made in Japan... weird.

But both of the Matrix's were made in Canada...

Thanks again for the info.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    I got a $1000 rebate on my Corolla LE, but it was some sort of regional rebate, with some of it coming from Gulf States Toyota.

My mileage on the first tank was over 30, so after breakin, I expect to get very close to the EPA figures.

As for being built in California, besides the VIN, you will also find NUMMI stickers inside the door jamb and under the hood.

No smell so far - very please with the car.
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    does everyone have problem with dash rattling in cold weather? the dash plastic seems very hard and in cold weather , rattling is very common.

Yes the a/c does stink when not in use with a/c button on, bad smell of mildew?

the gas milesge is about 30mpg , 80 % city , 20% highway

it needs little more power, feels sluggish unless fully floored/downshifting.

Build quality is B+ , i see some gaps/rattle but overall good build quality compare to other econo cars
    As far as I know, all Corollas have the same engine, which are designed to use low-sulfur fuel.
    I don't think the build location per se has anything to do with the smell. This whole rotten egg thing worries me, though, as I'm strongly considering buying a Corolla soon. I guess I'd rather not have it smelling like a bathroom in a frat house.
  • bahmedbahmed Member Posts: 66
    I am looking for the front passenger side inside door handle. Any good place to buy Corolla parts. Appreciate your help
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I'd say that it all has to do with the type of gas you're using. Some oil companies won't take out the sulphur as much as others, because this is an expensive process. I read in a recent Greenpeace magazine that Esso (Exxon) is one of the companies that are not in favor of alternative fuels, and that their gas is one of the worst in terms of sulphur content. Have any of you tried a completely different gas company?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    In most areas, gasoline comes from one or at most two refineries, regardless of brand. All that differs is the additive package. Switching from Exxon, say, to Shell will do no good if both come from the same refinery. Sulphur levels are very unlikely to be different.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Actually I have not hit 15,000 miles yet either. I really don't plan on doing anything to the car at that point. I do change my oil every 3,000 miles though. And did rotate my tires once already.
    Well, I thought about that myself too, but it's hard to disagree against an organization such as Greenpeace. They would obviously do quite a bit of research in this area prior to releasing such statements.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I don't just think that gasoline comes from only one or at most two refineries in all but the very largest areas of the United States. I know that to be the case. So does the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Changing brands is VERY unlikely to make the sulphur smell go away. Additive packages, by the way, constitute far less than 1 tenth of 1 percent of the average tank of gasoline, by volume. The rest is the bulk gasoline bought from the nearest or least expensive refinery. The same tanker often fills at the refinery and then goes to Exxon, Mobil, Shell, Kroger, etc.

Greenpeace is not an authority on refineries and gasoline marketing.

All that aside, though, there is no harm in switching brands of gasoline. If it makes the smell go away (which might have not been present on any particular tankful anyway), so much the better!
  • corolla03corolla03 Member Posts: 17
    The smell does seem to be a lot less if we fill up with premium BP/Amoco gas. BP says that their premium gas is low sulphur in our area (Atlanta). But, in the interest of fair advertising, don't you think Toyota should tell Corolla buyers that if they do not use premium gas, their car will smell like a sewer?
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    Like an old advertiser here in my area, "I do not care about the customers, I just LOVE to make money", is Toyota's 2003 new slogan!
    You are wasting your money by putting premium in your Corolla. The engine is designed for peak efficiency when using regular fuel.
  • juliansjulians Member Posts: 42
    I have a 1992 Corolla with 148,000 miles. It has been maintained very well and seems to be going fine. I have been looking to trade it in for a new one but the trade in value is not even enough to pay tax on a new one. Is it time to get a new one anyhow? How far have your old Corolla's gone?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Corollas last a long time. My Father had a Corolla that went 220,000 miles, and was reliable the whole time. It died because the timing belt (it was only changed once at 90k) broke, otherwise it would have lasted longer.

I would think you can get 50k reliable miles out of your Corolla, maybe much more.
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    If your Corolla isn't falling apart or consumes too much oil/gas or costs more to repair/maintain then financing/leasing a new one or you want a new car so badly that that thought gives you trouble doing your daily business, do not replace your car. I mean, new cars are nice but you don't want to throw away your good car. And to me trading in values are almost like throwing it away. You may want to visit other discussions like 'Drive till it dies' here.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the only way you will get any real $$ for that corolla is to sell it privately - do not trade it in, as they do not want that type of car for resale and will just wholesale it out, so they will only give you a few hundred $$ for it.

The last corolla I owned went to 249K, reliable the whole time...keep it a while!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Although our 94 Corolla Wagon has given us no problems, my confidence in Toyota reliability has been lessened recently.
        A friend has an 87 Corolla with 166,000 miles and cannot get it to pass emissions test. Mechanics say it has a rather uncommon, weird carburetor that is very difficult to work on.
        Meanwhile I see old American brand clunkers with many more miles that are still running and passing emissions tests.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Has your friend tried taking it to a Toyota dealership to see if they can fix it?
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    your 94 corolla doesn't have a carburetor, it's fuel injected. Therefore you wouldn't have the problem your friend has on his 87 corolla. If you say your car hasn't had problems then that's a good thing. Modern cars have gotten a lot more reliable and your car should go 200,000 miles with no problem.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421

Join us tonight, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for another
    round of automotive trivia and member-to-member chat.
    Test your skills (or multiple choice guessing ability)
    against other Town Hall members.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

Hope to see you there!
    the older carbureted cars have been chased off the roads in the last few years by the big bad smog check - carburetors just were not very good at regulating emissions, fuel injection is much better. Corollas and Tercels began to be fuel-injected right around 1990, with the hotted-up models (GTS) getting FI a couple of years earlier.

If you look carefully, it is the higher end 80s cars that are still around, for all brands...this is because the more expensive cars got fuel injection first...the same is true for Toyota, which was fuel injecting the celica, cressida, and supra in 1983 and the van and all trucks in 1984 and 1985.

Maintaining smog compliance on an older car is like night and day when comparing between carbureted and fuel injected cars.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Fuel injection is much better for emissions and also for performence and fuel economy. I think all VW's had FI by 1979-80, and I am sure they all did by 1985 when the golf came out. For some reason Honda and Toyota were slow to follow.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I still want Toyota to introuce an XLE Corolla, and want larger engine and a real suspension option for at least the S models (and larger engine standard in my proposed XLE). With Mitsubishi introducing a 160hp Lancer next year, Nissan offering a 165 hp Sentra as well as a mainstream sporty model (SE-R, SPEC V), I see no reason why Toyota cant consider this. As for the XLE model, its time the Jettas has a rival.

I'm also still wondering why Toyota failed to introduced side airbags with head protection with the redesign (though ALL of the Corollas crash test scores are very good).

When I was in the market for a small car some months ago, I was duly impressed by the Corolla, but the S model I would have wanted felt a lot slower than it looked, had those silly side sill extensions, and was only available with every option except the ones I wanted- ABS and side airbags.

IMO if Toyota wants to penetrate the youth market, they need to do it by creating enhanced images for products well respected in other arenas. Anyone remember the Corolla GT-S two doors from the late 80s? Or the FX16 hatchbacks?

Personally, I'd like to see Toyota kill the overpriced ECHO, forget the inevitable failure that will be Scion, and refocus energy on the Corolla line.

~alpha
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    I have a 2001 Echo that barely cost 11000. 62k miles so far. No repairs of any type. Only gas, oil and filters. 42MPG average with an automatic and AC running very often. Best car I have ever had! As soon as the new hatchback comes out in June I'll get one as a third car(not vailable in the US). By the way, the Corolla is very nice but not so good on gas, less acceleration and about $ 3000 more. Not economical enough for me with my daily 90 mile commute.
    have sold a lot more Echoes if they had brought out a hatchback in the U.S. in the first place.

You got a good deal at $11K CDN for an Echo with auto and A/C! That seems amazing!

dudley - rabbits weren't fuel-injected right? And I know that GTIs were the only fuel-injected golfs when they were introduced in 1983.

OTOH, by 1985, the only non-FI Toyotas were corolla and tercel, which were the two cheapest models, and were cheaper than VW golfs and jettas. The camry had just been introduced at that point, as a little car and hatchback, and it was fuel-injected.

I do agree that Toyota should have brought FI to the remaining two models more quickly than it did.

alpha - I loved that FX16 hatch! If Toyota brought a car like that to market today, I bet it would sell really well.

Of course, if it had to pick between a 2004 FX16 and this corolla XLE that has been proposed, I bet the XLE would sell better. It would have to have more power (the RAV4 engine, maybe?) and a much nicer interior than the LE though. This meaning that they would have to get rid of lots of that hard plastic, and replace it with softer-touch materials like Jetta has. A moonroof should be standard.

• grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    You got a good deal at $11K CDN for an Echo with auto and A/C! That seems amazing!

Too amazing to be true I'm afraid. Either it was not new or pulgo converted his/her price to US$. US$11000 is still pretty amazing for what you get though.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The RAV4 engine (which is related to the Camry 4cly) is exactly what I was thinking, but I'm sure theres production/logistical issues with introducing a new engine option. In a nutshell, I'd like to see Toyota kill the stupid S model, introduce an SE and XLE 4-door, kill the Echo, and bring back Corolla hatches, to include, of course, an equivalent of the FX16 series, and a strippo VE.

Sorry pulgo, but with decent equipment, like a tach, 15 in. wheels, air, etc., the Echo quickly approaches/exceeds the price of a Corolla CE, which has all those things standard. Plus, the Echo is ugly, and feels like it will flip over in a crosswind (or at least did when I drove a 2001 through NY state last year). I dont know where you are obtaining your acceleration info, but the Corolla seems to be the winner from what I've seen (Car and Driver, 5sp manual models). And the Corolla gets up to what...40 mpg with a stick?... hardly anything to scoff at, even if its worse than Echo. At the very least, if Toyota must continue the Echo, it should be priced against the Accent with which it competes.

~alpha
    I have to clarify my previous statement. I did pay a little over US$ 11000 for my Echo.

I drove the Accent for a few days. In fact I rented a brand new one for a week.

For those who have driven both cars (Echo and Accent), there just is no comparison. The automatic Echo gets better mileage than the manual Accent (combined), due to the better engine and fuel injection technology.

For those who want to spend the minimum possible amount for a car, yes, the Accent is a very good option.

For me there was no doubt whatsoever.

Where I live, we have high winds on an almost daily basis. Yes the car is sensitive to side winds but not that much.

My previous car was a Chevrolet Caprice that was completely immune from high winds so I know the difference.

Have I mentioned that I like the Corolla? Yes I do but my goal was buying a car that would be as inexpensive as possible, give me a very long service with a minimum in maintenance and monthly repairs. So far repairs are 0. Maintenance has been oil changes every 8k miles (synthetic oil), 2 air filters, 1 set of platinum spark plugs, 1 cabin air filter. That's it, not even a light bulb to replace. What more can I wish for?

Well, I would love an Audi A6 with the turbodiesel engine they sell in Germany, but that's another story.

I wish everybody a great weekend and don't be mad with me if I still like my Echo better than other small cars. It's just a matter of personal taste.
    If you love the A-6, the Passat will be available this fall with a 130 hp turbo diesel engine. About 250 lb/ft of torque. A whole lot cheaper than the A-6, and with the fuel economy of an Echo.
    I can't see what benefit there would be to having one available. I mean, Corollas already offer leather, a moonroof, ABS, side airbags, etc., but few are sold that way. I do agree it would be 'nice' to have the option of a bit more power, and a distinctly sporty suspension for the 'S', which currently is just a CE with body stuff, at least in basic trim. I'd like to see the bigger engine and stiffer suspensions as stand-alone options, but I guess that's a bit much to ask for. Strange the Matrix offers both, and AWD, but they're not selling so well, from what I can tell (my local dealer has 49 Corollas on the lot and usually 3-6 Matrix). I'd think it would be easy to offer both on the Corolla, since they're on the same platform. The problem is that if an XLE or upgraded Sport Corolla were offered, they'd be pushing or even exceeding $20k. At that price, they'd have customers looking elsewhere, or at Camrys. Let's not forget that the Corolla's main function is as an economy car. I will concede that the 'premium' small car market is growing (nobody seems to have a problem with $25k Jettas) and the Camry's current porcine dimensions are not for everyone, regardless of how much they want to spend. Camrys are just too big and Buicky for most urban singles, but the Corollas lack the power and some of the amenities some small car buyers want. Maybe another model altogether should be offered? I dunno.

Some changes I'd like to see: offer power windows and keyless on the CE, I'd like both but don't want Grandma's fake wood trim on the LE, nor do I want Junior's ugly tack-on trim of the 'S', and those are the only way I can get them. I would also love to see a two-door Corolla and maybe a hatchback, stealing some more sales from Civic if they offered both. There are plenty of people, younger especially, who don't want a four-door but don't like the Echo and can't afford a Celica or Solara. There's a big gap ($14-18k) a Corolla coupe would fill nicely.
    Yeah the Passat is nice but the A6 comes with a 2.5 liter commonrail diesel making 177 HP.

Price in Germany: around US$ 40000.

I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a car that will be worth little after 5-6 years with the kind of mileage I put on cars (35k miles per year).
  • tw8tw8 Member Posts: 4
    My 2003 Corolla is 10 months old and has about a dozen or so paint chipped areas over the hood and fender areas. Is anyone else having similar problems and what can I do about this? It seems subpar for Toyota standards.
    If it is the fault of Toyota it should be covered by warranty.

If you drove the Dalton or the Alaska Highway (just kidding), then you will have to pay for it.
  • pofigistpofigist Member Posts: 5
    Hello

I am sorry if this post belongs to a different topic, but I couldn't find a thread about Corolla pricing.

A friend of mine from NY tri-state area is about to buy a 03 Corolla LE. I think that she can get it for about invoice, or a little over. Is it correct? I will actually suggest her to do what I did when I was buying my last car: make a take-it-or-leave-it OTD offer. Amount will be calculated as follows:

<price of a car> + <extra amount> + <advertising> + <doc fee> + TTL

<price of a car> already includes all options and destination charge.

My question is: how much should be <extra amount>? Also, please let me know if Corollas are selling for under invoice or there are cash incentives that I am not aware of. I assume she'll qualify for 0% financing, which certainly helps a lot.

Thank you for your help.
  • rxsorentrxsorent Member Posts: 10
    I have my Corolla for about 10 months too and it is also chipping on hood and fenders. Toyota must have put some cheap paint on the vehicle. I have a feeling if you bring it to the dealer, they are going to say that little rocks caused the problem which would make it not covered under the warrranty. Please keep me informed. Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - while you wait to see if someone can assist you here, you might also want to copy your messsage and post it in this discussion as well: Corolla & Matrix Owners: What did you pay?

Good luck!
  • pofigistpofigist Member Posts: 5
    Thank you
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I do not expect Toyota to cover little chips in the paint that were casued by flying rocks from the road. How can Toyota control or prevent the appearance of little rocks that cause the paint to chip?
  • sonny18sonny18 Member Posts: 5
    does anyone know if there is an adjustment to the tilt steering that will allow it to drop another 2 inches or so?

can the dealer make this adjustment, or is there no way?