Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Anyone remember the Corolla GT-S two doors from the late 80s? Or the FX16 hatchbacks?

I owned a GT-S for 10 and a half years. Fast fun car.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    They should make a GT-S of the current Corolla! I looked at the GT-S when I got my Integra in 1990 - Integra won because of FWD, but GT-S was very nice.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thats exactly what I think.
    Kill the stupid Matrix and Echo, give us a real Corolla HB with an sporty version like the FX16, give us a GT-S coupe, an XLE sedan with available NAV, Head Curtains, bigger engine and tires, and switch the S model to an SE, along the lines of the Camry's SE trim level.

Toyota has its head in the sand, and if it doesnt start producing solid performing, interesting, APPEALING products, instead of just solid performing products, its going to end up like Nissan, circa 1996.

~alpha
  • juliansjulians Member Posts: 42
    I guess this is why they are making Scion.
    the Scions are ugly, trendy, underpowered, use the stupid center mounted instrument panel, the list goes on. Toyota doesnt understand that 'different' doenst necessarily mean 'appealing'. One thing the Scions have going for them- decent pricing- but how is that going to benefit Toyota, especially if the things dont sell. Didnt Toyota already try this with the ECHO, anyway?

~alpha
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Yes..I agree. But, i guess this design (fault!) is getting more and more use. The new Nissan minivan due out this year also has this. YUK!
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    People buy cars for different reasons and have different tastes. Thank God!

I think who bashes other cars just has a different taste when it comes to cars.

An labelling a car stupid is not the brightest idea either. Any more of those intelligent comments you want to share?
  • redzx3redzx3 Member Posts: 16
    I happen to think the new Echo is cute i just hope that they keep makeing them .
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    My intention was not to offend anyone, just stating my personal design thoughts. Also, I think that more than one magazine has commented on the "awkward" positioning of the center speedomoter/guages, causing a longer time for the driver's eyes to look over then back to the road. A possible safety issue. Several car lines now use this feature, the new Mini, a new Saturn model come to mind, so, maybe it's just my personal preference. Again, no offense intended.
    I do agree that the newer ECHO is better looking. However, pulgo, from a business standpoint, let me rephrase my comment. I think it is STUPID of Toyota to try the same thing twice- penetrate the "youth" market with "unique" cars. It didnt work well with the ECHO, and its not going to work with SCION. I think its STUPID to build a car for needs which marketing types create, but dont really exist. I am not an expert, and who knows, maybe the bX will be the next titan. But I doubt it. If however, Toyota could extend the Corolla line to appeal to a broader range of audiences (something that WORKED in the 80s), I think they would have a better chance. No, I dont like the Matrix, but at least it is based off that concept.

~alpha
    PS- just as people are allowed to make any vehicle purchase their hearts desire, so am i allowed to call a vehicle stupid.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the FX-16/GT-S coupe model is already available - it is called the "c-e-l-i-c-a". They were selling tons of celicas when they first came out in 2000, now it is a trickle. I am perfectly serious, this is not a facetious comment - the original GT-S coupes got burned for competing too directly with the celica, and they got nixed because celica had higher sales.

Oh, and by the way, I DO recognize that celica is overpriced in this market, and in its position relative to the "performance" available from regular corollas. They should either option it up for base models or lower the price across the board by 10-15%.

I still like this corolla XLE idea though - a fully loaded model, only option is NAV, and it has to have a little more power than the other corollas. Then it could pull a premium price, like as much as bare-bones camry.

They should make the 'S' into an 'SE' anyway - more than just an appearance package, it should have fatter anti-roll bars and bigger tires, also tighter suspension.

BTW instruments in the center of the dash make things easier for the manufacturer in exporting to countries where the steering wheel is on the other side, because the instruments do not have to be moved.

And I would lay dollars to donuts Scion will ultimately fail, although I think the cars are kind of unique and funky, and I wish they would stick around. If they were serious about differentiating Scion from the rest of the Toyotas, they would have invested in separate dealerships.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I don't care much for the Echo either, but some people do. But I think the main reason Toyota keeps the Echo in its lineup has more to do with meeting the federal government's CAFE standards than anything else. They need to make the Echo with its high gas mileage to offset those thirsty Sequoias and Land Cruisers and Camry V-6s they make more money on in order to meet their CAFE goals. Every major car manufacturer makes one economical car to offset their big money maker SUV or luxury car in order to meet their CAFE goal.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes the ECHO's centre console. The Corolla should learn a few things from the ECHO in terms of roominess and practicality.
    You make an excellent point regarding CAFE! Still, I dont feel that Toyota should sacrifice its brand image of quality for the sake of its (too many) SUVs.
    Car and Driver June 2000 on the ECHO
    Verdict: "Something new from Toyota- a big mistake."

Nippononly- I agree with nearly everything you say, except that "the FX-16/GT-S coupe model is already available" I'll concede that a GTS Corolla would be redundant, but the FX would not be a competitor for the Celica, and it wasnt in the eighties either. I would like it as hatchback in the genre of the Focus ZX3/Civic Si, not a FASTBACK like the Celica, Tiburon, Eclipse, etc.

canc- explain just a little big how the ECHO is more practical (or roomy??) than the Corolla?

~alpha
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    And without alot of upgrade packages, the Base ECHO with necessities such as A/C, PS, Cruise, the ECHO is alot less expensive than the Corolla.
        However, for real comfort one needs to get the Sienna.
    Hansienna, finding an ECHO w/o upgrade packages is alot easier said than done.
    But here is a comparison of a moderately equipped ECHO to a Corolla with the same features:

Toyota ECHO 4door Sedan + Upgrade pkg 2, ABS, Auto, All Weather Guard, Floormats, 15 inch. wheels : $15,032.

Toyota Corolla CE Sedan + Auto, ABS, All Weather Guard, Floormats: $15,412.

Add in the Corolla's newer design, better crash test ratings, better mix of power and economy, better materials, and similar interior room- why does Toyota have the ECHO, especially if the median age of this so-called "youth" car is indeed in the mid 40s (as has been rumored)?

~alpha
    the local dealers have a lot of echoes with nothing but the A/C and power steering. This little combo goes for about $11,7 stick and $12,5 auto, and they all advertise it for $1000 off MSRP, so even before you haggle you could get an echo for $10,700 if you like manual...I would buy it this way if I were getting one...a CD is easy to add aftermarket, and they put pretty good speakers in these cars at the factory.

Obviously if you get the appearance packages plus the CD, cruise, power accoutrements, etc the price balloons out of control, and considering the price of a corolla CE, which has many of these things standard, I don't know why anyone would buy a loaded echo...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

OK, I will concede you that point - they have no hatchback right now, in the proper sense of the term...everyone got scared off of hatchbacks in the early 90s, word was no-one liked them any more or something.

Now that Civic SI has come back as a hatchback, it has been the most ripping sales failure of any Honda model in a long time.

So it might be a long time before Toyota brings back a hatchback...although the Scion xA is going to be kind of like that, with the echo powertrain, right? Maybe they could bring out a more powerful version if it makes it in sales.

• tw8tw8 Member Posts: 4
    Hansienna,
    your point is well taken, and I agree - Toyota doesn't control driving conditions. That said, I feel that this is excessive wear (i.e. poor paint) for routine use on routine roads.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Actually, there's a service bulletin out for premature chipping paint on the 2003 Corolla.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I don't think they necessarily need an XLE or SE model, but they do need to tweak their option list a bit. I know ABS is an option, but it's rarely actually on vehicles sitting on dealers' lots. This should change, especially as it only costs $300. As I said before, LEs and apparently S are already available with leather, sunroof, ABS, so really we only need the NAV and the upgraded Matrix engine available. No need for the bother of yet another trim level.

A hatchback and a coupe would be wonderful. I don't think either necessarily has to be super sporty, I just think they need something to compete head-to-head with the Civic coupe (which seems enormously popular, particularly with young women, here in Chicago). Of course, the option of an upgraded sport model (a la Civic Si) and a fully loaded model (like the EX) would be wise. The hatchback should be a basic, stripped down price leader, with a full array of options (power stuff, engine upgrades) available.
  • thedilbythedilby Member Posts: 3
    Hi - have had, and am still having, big problems with my 03 LE front and rear windshields. I have noticed that some people have indicated they have also noticed irregularities and protrusions of the front windshield seal and/or the fire wall foam on the front windshield. I have a 14 inch front windshield crack which emanates EXACTLY from where this protrusion is noticeable.

Please see MSG 380 in Corolla/Matrix problems/solutions area. Thanks for all your help - hopefully you won't have to have both your front and rear windshields replaced like I've had to!!
    A hatchback would be nice, and so would a station wagon (a wagon would have more room than a Matrix and get better mileage as well as having more pep). I agree with option availability. For me no ABS means no sale, and the Corolla rarely has ABS especially with a manual tranny. What about the leather - have never seen one. Do they exist?
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    However, the ECHO does not have the quality finish of seats or doors of the Corolla. The ECHO seats are higher off the road than the Corolla which makes the ECHO more comfortable for people like myself who have owned pickups, 4-Runner, Chevy Van, and VW Bus.
        Although our Corolla wagon is nice and reliable, it is not as comfortable for long road trips as was the 1999 Tracker and now the 2001 Blazer or 1993 Ford F-150 Extended Cab LWB pickup.
    The Matrix engine is the same as the Corollas in base form, and the Matrix XRS engine would be a very bad choice for a Corolla- no low end torque, very small useful powerband way up top. In fact, the VVTL-i engine in the Matrix is rumored to be soon replaced by a supercharged version of the base engine. I read this in Motor Trend last summer- I dont know how true this is. Also, why do you deem a fully loaded model appropriate for a possible coupe verion of the Corolla, but not a sedan?
    ~alpha
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I have heard bad things about the Matrix XRS (isn't this also in the Celica) engine. Not that it's a bad engine, but the Matrix isn't the best application. A lower reving, higher torque at low-end engine might be better.

Regarding the sedan vs. coupe, I just basically said Toyota doesn't need another sedan trim level, but they should offer an upgraded engine and wider availability of things like ABS, sunroof and leather on the LE and S models. Since they already have three trim levels (base CE, 'luxury' LE and 'sporty' S), I think offering another one just to have a bigger engine is a bit wasteful and redundant. As for the coupe, Toyota is losing a lot of sales to Honda because they don't have anything remotely competitive to the Civic coupe. A two-door basic hatch would be nice, too, but I'm not holding my breath, especially since an Echo hatch is supposedly coming out (though I don't know if it will be offered in the U.S.).
  • tw8tw8 Member Posts: 4
    Where can I find out about the technical service bulletin that you mentioned?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    on some foreign web sites there are pics of a 3 door, 5 door, and wagon corolla. Also another matrix like corolla that is a bit different than the matrix.

The wagon corolla I think would be a nice addition. Not as freaky as the matrix, but appears to have the same amount of useful space.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The Matrix like Corolla that is different from the Matrix is the Toyota Voltz. It is literally a Pontiac Vibe built in California, rebadged Toyota Voltz, and sent to Japan to be sold!
    I would also love a Corolla wagon, and actually it has much more space than the Matrix - it is over a foot longer. It is also lighter so the engine seems peppier.
    http://www.km77.com/marcas/toyota/corolla_02/0primera/galeria.asp

for me, gimme the wagon with a stick, and I'll put on the TRD supercharger. Now i've got a 175hp supercharged Corolla wagon that is a Jetta killer.
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    any website offering cheap genuine toyota corolla parts? such as air filter, oil filter. etc?
  • rxsorentrxsorent Member Posts: 10
    I am like tw8 - where can you find the service bulletin for the chipping paint 2003 Corolla. I couldn't find it on NHTSA site.
  • tominsdtominsd Member Posts: 18
    I just rented a Corolla LE for the weekend and drove about 200 miles. I really liked the car in most respects. The car has a great engine and is quite peppy. It rides incredibly well and is very quiet. Fairly well laid out controls and a decent amount of space.

My number one complaint - the driver's seat. The seat bottom cushion is too short, with woefully inadequate thigh support. When you raise the seat height, you lose what little thigh support there was before. Bad seats - I am surprised that others have not found this to be a problem. Maybe you get used to it.

I also would like for the side mirrors to fold.

If Toyota would fix these things, they would probably have found a buyer here. And no, it does not handle as well as a Protege, but it is good enough for most of the driving I do.
    I have read comments in magazine articles that have the same complaints about the seats.
    really love it if they would take the TRD supercharger they have developed for this engine and offer it straight from the factory with the full warranty - this would blow the peaky GT-S motor right out of the water. I would be so thrilled I might trade mine in on a new one! The base engine is fine for corolla, I think, but for Matrix it lags a little. (200+ pounds heavier)

• fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    It's obvious that you haven't frequented 2003 Corolla forums much......the number one complaint is the seat and driving position. I agree that it's the pits but can be remedied by a wedge shaped seat cushion.
  • doublesixdoublesix Member Posts: 29
    What is the break-in speed for 2003 Corolla? For how many miles?

If I get a new Corolla, I would have to initially drive it for a long distance on highway. Would this be a big concern? Thanks for your information.
  • michaely2michaely2 Member Posts: 5
    The owners manual says:
    for first 1000 miles: do not drive over 55mph; run engine betw. 2000 and 4000 revs. ; avoid full throttle starts; avoid hard stops first 200 miles; do not drive slowly in high gear (manual trans.); do not drive "for a long time in a single speed, either fast or slow"; do not tow trailer first 500 miles.
  • ptwob211ptwob211 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know when the '04 Corolla is slated to start production? Any news on what it will include/improve upon?
    I'm guessing you'll see an 04 Corolla around September. The redesign has been a huge success, both increasing sales of the vehicle line and drawing praise from critics. I doubt you will see any significant changes. Perhaps a few new colors, minor equipment changes, slight price increase.

Personally, I am really curious to see if the Corolla will get side curtains as an option with this model run- I dont see the point of adding side airbags to a car if those airbags dont offer head protection. Hell, though it isnt a curtain setup, even the Hyundai Accent now even offers side airbags with head protection for the front passengers- standard!

~alpha
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Turned over 1500 miles this week, and mixed city/highway driving was over 32 MPG on the last tank.

I don't drive it daily like my wife, but use it for running errands on the weekends. I agree with others with the comments about the seats and driving position, but I'm getting used to it. I would also like to mention that the steering is too light - I wonder if there is anything that can be done about this? Otherwise, what a lot of car for the money.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    I am sorry if I mislead you both. The paint bulletin I saw was apparently for the 2001 model(my year). I did some more research when I found out about my belt and tensioner bulletin on my 2001. A list of some of these bulletins appears on alldata.com
  • jas9297jas9297 Member Posts: 26
    I'm looking at buying a '98-'00 Corolla (and also Saturn or Sentra) with under 50,000 miles and am concerned about the quality of the engines. I've read about a few engine failures on this board (about 65k miles) and seems like the engine quality is suspect.

Can anyone shed some advice about the quality of these cars?

Thanks!
    You will not find a higher quality more durable engine.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The Corolla is the most reliable of all the cars in it's class. Look at Consumer Reports, JD Power, etc. Definitely much better than Saturn or Nissan Sentra. You'll have no problems if the previous owner was good to it.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    We finally did it. We pulled the trigger on a car. We have been looking for about a month and today ordered a 2003 Toyota Corolla S, 5-speed, fully loaded, Lunar Mist Metallic/black. I've never driven one and hope that we are happy with this car. It fit everything we were looking for. We tend to test drive and then overanalyze, so decided we'd go for it. We hadn't found any other small car that fit the bill as well as the '03 Corolla.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    While this is just an incidental event, my fiance's 2000 Corolla with 59,500 miles is currently in the shop getting the engine rebuilt. The engine started sounding very noisy when cold, I thought it sounded like the valves were bad, and she always kept up on her oil changes.

I finally convinced her to take it in and get it checked before the powertrain warranty expired. After checking it once, adjusting the drive belts, and checking it again, the dealer said one or two of the pistons are bad, and the engine needs rebuilt. It will take a week, but Toyota does give a free loaner car for powertrain repairs. The problem there is it is a 2003 Camry LE, and now she wants to buy one of those.

Her 1990 Corolla went 140,000 miles before being totaled, so she paid the extra money to get a Corolla again over other vehicles. However, I'm not convinced Toyotas are built like they used to be 10 years ago. I do not have any complaints about the dealer, and the free loaner car is a nice touch.
    I assume that your finace performed all the recommended maintenance (meaning more than just oil changes at 15,000mi, 30,000mi, and 45,000mi), so that situation is unfortunate. I am curious to know where that particular Corolla was built? Nice job catching it before warranty expiration. Also, are you from the Pittsburgh/western Pa. area (just curious).

akangl- Congratulations!!
    ~alpha
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats akangl -- what happened with your Jetta?

My parents bought an 03 Corolla (Lunar Mist, very nice color) in January and they are very happy with it.