Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• dunworthdunworth Member Posts: 338
    bodble2: I think you are right about the immobiliser - it is a shame. Like I said the Civic LX has both of these features if that is a deal breaker for you.

grandtotal: I sense you are being sarcastic since the Corolla is and has been for year once of our country's most popular cars.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For those of you with the OEM Keyless Entry (standard on LE models in the USA, I believe)... is there or is there not a button for "Trunk Release"?

~alpha
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I guess car manufacturers can always count on a few like you who will hand over your money on bended knees without so much as a whimper. And FYI, an LE with Package B goes to over $24.5K CAD with PDI & Freight. Add a couple of accessories and you'd be over $25K, pal. For that kind of dough, I expect certain amenities/necessities.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Well, pal, I suggest you spend your money on a Civic. Enjoy your heated mirrors and immobiliser.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You bet your sweet [non-permissible content removed] I will put MY money where it will best serve MY priorities on MY own terms, whether it be Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai, or anything else, regardless of how popular, or unpopular, that model is.
  • michaely2michaely2 Member Posts: 5
    Small point: In March of this year I bought the base model CE, 5 speed manual, without A/C, for just under $17K Cdn. I know there are cars such as the Hyndai (sp?) Elantra with more accessories, but what I wanted was a dependable, long lasting, peppy, fuel efficient commuter car and that's what I paid any 'extra' for.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Does anybody know why Kelley Blue Book has 2004 Corolla prices up on their site? Are there minor changes for 2004?
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I thought I read that for 2004, the (U.S.) Corolla LE went up in price around $100, but the CE and S remain the same.

Michaely2, the CE in the U.S. has a/c as standard, and it's rather difficult to find any Corolla with a 5-speed on the lot, though it happens occasionally.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Maybe you misunderstood my post. I was refering to the hanging tailpipe on the Corolla not a Camry? I believe the discussion was about the Corolla tailpipe being too low. The comparison between the hanging tailpipe on the Corolla and the pipe on the Camry would be a mute point since the ground clearance is more and the tire size is larger on the Camry.
    Fair enough. I'll revisit my comments then. Since the hanging tailpipes seem to have appeared on Toyotas, our family drove a leased 99 Corolla for 45,000 miles and currently has about 25,000 miles on an 02. In those 70,000 miles, never once has the tailpipe been an issue. In fact, of all the Toyotas we have leased or owned over the past 15 years, I'd say these two vehicles, the 02 particularly, have been the most trouble free. No major issues, but no minor ones either.

~alpha
    My 2003 Civic's tailpipe is also pointed downwards. But that car is tall - it is not an issue.
  • doublesixdoublesix Member Posts: 29
    I discussed with a few people before regarding engine braking by turning off the overdrive button before a stop or slowing down, but the answers were a mix.

In the Corolla manual, it does give this engine braking method as an option. Is it really a bad idea in doing so?
    Except in certain specific circumstances use your brakes. They are easy to apply, predictable in their action and cheap and easy to replace when worn out.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Why bother? Who is going to impressed by that trick? Brake pads are always cheaper to replace than a transmission.
  • observationobservation Member Posts: 5
    with a manual transmission, you engine brake by habit anyway. there is no overdrive button, but the 5th gear ratio is an overdrive ratio. as long as you blip the gas to match the engine speed as you downshift, what extra wear is involved in engine braking? being in the right gear through a turn will only set you up for a speedier exit out of the turn anyway.
  • jsleesijsleesi Member Posts: 33
    I recently purchased 2003 Corolla LE,
    In the manual and found little ac outlet in the
    center console
    Has anyone ever used the outlet? Do you need any
    adaptor for this? I like to hear from some one
    has experience on this matter.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Are you sure you did not mean DC outlet.

I had a 03 Corolla rental and I used it for a radar detector.

I use the another one next to the transmission for the DC to AC inverter.
  • kali5kali5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm new to these boards. Wondering if anybody would like to give an opinion on a few concerns I have over the Corolla.

I had a Corolla for 9 years with power locks, doors, a moon roof and interior trunk unlock. The car was pre-owned but in excellent cond't. It was only in the shop once for a new muffler. I finally brought a new one in 2000 after I hit 150,000 mls.

My new car (it's a 2000, so it's not brand new) is much lighter in weight, both the body and the engine seem to contribute to this. My other Corolla made me feel secure, this one feels as a strong wind can steer me one way or the other. The 'new' car had no perks. It is absent of P/W, P/L or P/D. I've gotten used to it but would prefer the power options. Not to mention the ability to unlock the trunk from inside the car, I once locked my keys in the trunk and had to wait for help. But I digress...I've also noticed that even though I change my oil to manufactures standards my car starts to get sluggish if the oil isn't changed almost exactly every 3,500 miles.

Has anybody else noticed these things---the sluggish engine, and the light weight body that feels very unsafe? Do the newer models have better perks and heavier bodies? I'm thinking of trading my car in (b/c I am no longer happy with my current car) or going for Saturn Ion 2003 b/c I like what I've read about them.

Kali
    I doubt if the 2000 Corolla is lighter in weight than whatever model year you used to drive. I'm guessing that you have an auto transmission, and if thats the case, given that you have no power options, you probably have a VE with only 3 speeds- which is why your car feels sluggish. The engine is more powerful than your old one. As far as "perks" as you call them, thats simply due to your model choice. If you had a higher trim model, it would have many of the things you used to have. To allay your fears with regards to safety, the 2000 has decent crash test scores, much better than older models (esp. the 88-92s).

I am curious- did you not drive the 2000 before purchasing? Did you purchase it new? How many miles do you now have on it? And what reviews have you read on the ION that have raised your interest-almost all of them are negative. Check out Car and Driver and Consumer Reports, for example.

~alpha
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    I did not know the 'rolla had this - only know that the 'trix and Vibe has this. If it's a two prong outlet, just like at home, then....

Just plug it in like any home two prong outlet.
    PUSH THE BUTTOM that should be around there.

I use it to recharge my cell phone because the crappy car adapter broke.

DO not know if the supply is stable enough for high powered items - small TV, etc.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that was so cool when I bought my Trix, but have not used it at all! :-(

Will have to try it at some point.

Engine braking: hard on the drivetrain if you just clutch in and cause the momentum to spool up the engine. If, OTOH, you rev-match shifting to the lower gear, then no big deal, and a nice way to get a little more longevity from your brakes. I do not do this, but do allow the car's speed to drop in gear to almost stall speed before clutching, in whatever gear I am in.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

corollas were kind of famous for being decontented, which might account for the deficiency in power accessories you mention. Certainly the 88-92s had more stuff standard. In addition, the VE (98-00) and CE (01-02) had skinny tires relative to those corollas of yesteryear, so you may feel a little less stability in crosswinds and stuff.

The '03 really is several steps above the last generation of corollas. But it is also higher and has moderately light steering, so if you dislike the crosswind effect, be sure to drive the new one on the highway first to get a good feel for it.

2 other notes: alpha is right that the curb weight of these models has not changed much (and has increased slightly each time) in more than a decade. So the weight thing is actually an illusion related to the power of the vehicle and the suspension. Also, oil changes should not have any effect on how sluggish the car feels? The new model is certainly plenty zippy, even with the automatic.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• observationobservation Member Posts: 5
    the outlet mentioned is not a 120v outlet. it is 12v DC outlet with maximum 120w power rating.
  • tims63tims63 Member Posts: 14
    I would very much appreciate any thoughts on whether the following is a good price.

1999 Corolla 4dr (white), automatic. A/C, AM/FM, cassette and rear window defroster (air bags-- std?). The price $5,800. It has 85,148 miles. I want to buy my daugher (17) something to get her through high school and a couple of years of college.

I've looked at the TMV pricing in Edmunds, but have found all sales prices much higher than what Edmunds notes as the dealer retail. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
  • jlewelling1jlewelling1 Member Posts: 65
    I am unexpectedly looking for a 2nd car that is reliable, safe and affordable. (Damn Plymouth Voyager!).

Would the 2003 Corrola be big enough for two adults and 3 kids on occasion? We've got a lovely Sienna as our main car, but need a second car. Usually, it would be one adult and one or two kids, but on rare occasions we may need to put the whole family in there.

Any other suggestions. I'm still paying off the Sienna, so my monthly payments are a big consideration.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    It depends.

How large are the kids?

Out of child seats?

How tall?

It all matters.

Better yet, go test drive one and see. Take everybody. You need to see how the car performs loaded and how everyone accepts being in the car!
    personally, I would think if any of those kids are teenagers, corolla might be a little small for the whole family. Also, more than one child seat would be trouble with the third kid!

tims63: in my area that would be a good price, given all the usual checks on a used car, and that it was in a shape not to need any repairs right away. ONE THING THOUGH: the VE of that year is a 3-speed automatic, which has not been the hardiest of trannies for Toyota over the years, and makes the engine rev at like 4000 rpm to go 60 mph, so if that is a VE, I would give it a miss if it were me.

Nippononly-- Thanks for the comments.

This is a VE automatic and it does indeed rev as you suggest. I took it on the highway and 60 to 65 seemed to be the "max" speed. On the one hand, she isn't going to be doing much highway driving (mostly school and work in the suburbs). Further, I don't have to worry about speeding on the highway.

I take it though I may be in for some transmission problems? I also have to find a way to minimize the cigarette smoke "smell".

Thanks again for your comments.
    Not sure I agree about the highway speed issue. The car is easily capable of faster speeds on the highway, it just gets very noisy. Actually it revs at about 3000RPM for 60MPH. Don't forget also that the 4th speed is a fuel saver, even around town. As for the smoke you will never completely eradicate it. For me that's two strikes against this particular car, I'd pass and find a smoke free 4 speed.
    to find a comparable CE from the same year for about the same money, and that will have the 4-speed auto.

It is true that cigarette smoke, once in there, will never come out. This has been my experience, even using professional detailing.

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    There's nothing quite like permanent carcinogens in a car.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I've gotten it out of a couple vehicles, but it takes a long time and isn't easy.

My Corolla was smoked in before I got it by the lot boys for a couple months. Can't tell now, Febreeze works fairly good, but the biggest surprise was a Jasmin air freshener.

Our Chevy truck was the same way, can't tell anymore that it was smoked in.

Normally I won't buy a car that's been smoked in, yuck.
    before reading the responses. The revving and seeming lack of power on the highway does concern me. However, this will be mostly an "around town" car.

As to the smoke-- the dealer is going to try to eliminate what they can with what they call a "car bomb" (not sure what this is). Whatever the bomb leaves behind, I'll try some combination of freshener, de-odorizer, baking soda, charcoal, etc. In addition, to thorough cleaning -- lysol or something stronger.

Thanks, though, for the comments. I should've posted this when I first started looking at this car.
  • ed_scott0013ed_scott0013 Member Posts: 64
    I've seen something called Febreeze Auto in several stores. If it's as good as I've heard, it may help eliminate the smoke smell from the interior. How it differs from regular Febreeze I do not know.

I've also heard that using alcohol works (it evaporates and takes the smells with them) but you might want a second (or third & fourth) opinion on that.
    I imagine instead of leaving the smell of a meadow in spring it leaves a hint of Castrol R or something similar instead.
    The Corolla just had its best sales month ever since 1979 selling 35,930 units in May.
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Another technique is turning the heater on full blast with air set on intake. Spray a can (not all of it) of Lysol into the intake vents in front of the windshield.

Also helps kill whatever microbes are growing in your vent system.
    if it could maintain that sales pace all year, it would be neck and neck with Camry for top-selling Toyota car - and THAT would be an enormous sales increase over the last five years or so!

It was early this year that Toyota sold its 25 millionth (yes, that is MILLION) corolla ever worldwide...I can't remember for sure, but I think that made it the best-selling car of all time or something...but still not the longest continually available, which honor goes to I-forget-which, possibly Mustang?

If you don't mind another question-- since I already bought the '99 VE (automatic)--

Regarding the revving that will occur to hold speed greater than 60 on the highway, is this an annoyance (i.e., noise) or does it cause damage to the engine?

Thanks
    But I would call it more of an annoyance than anything- just be sure to keep up with all the proper preventative maintenance. Logically, revving higher will contribute to excess wear and tear as compared to driving the same speed in a Corolla with a 4 speed auto- but this engine the 1.8L has a very solid reliability record. We have a 2002 CE which is basically the same as a 99 VE and it has been incredibly solid, both mechanically and in terms of interior quality, trim, etc. I just find the 3sp annoying, and it feels very flat at some speeds, due to the fact that it CANT downshift. Fuel economy also suffers, and our 02 Camry matches it at about 28 MPG in a mix of city/hwy.

~alpha
    obviously the designers of the VE knew people would drive it on the highway, so that will not cause damage. But it will wear more on the engine than comparable models with the 4-spd will, and it will cost more than 5 points in fuel economy for highway travel. Mainly, I always found the high revving annoying if I got one as a rental, and I would be mindful of the increased wear if I was an owner. It is probably more important to keep oil changes frequent with the VE than with other corollas.

Hey, corolla is on track to beat civic for annual sales by more than 50K this year!

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsedan.asp

...and civic's numbers include the sedan AND the coupe, which corolla doesn't even have! This may be the first year in a long time this has occurred - civic has been the perennial leader for years. I guess Toyota is getting due credit for erasing some of the decontenting that occurred in 1998, as well as making corolla more sporty and comfortable. And so it should! :-)

I'm pretty sure that Corolla sales DO include those of the Matrix, as the Matrix's offcial name(for sales reporting purposes, I believe)is the Corolla Matrix.

~alpha
    The Civic and its Acura 1.7EL variant still outsell the Corolla here in the Great White North. I am not sure why that is Honda overall outsells Toyota up here, which must be one of the few major car markets in the world that happens.
    I forgot that - thanks for tempering my out-of-control enthusiasm!

I wonder which sells more, civic coupes or Matrix.

:-)

I believe the old Beetle model is the best selling single model. Corolla is the best selling nameplate world wide. The Beetle beat out the Model T some time back, I believe.
    corolla is also a single model...its nameplate is Toyota, right?

The Corolla name is used on cars through out the world. I believea almost every country where Toyotas are sold, a Corolla product is sold. However, that model greatly varies. There is the typical Japan version, the American version, and usually a European one. The Japan one and American are similar, but I believe (at least in the past) the European one was much more different than the other two. That may not be the case now, though. Put it this way: the Corolla name is attached to more cars sold worldwide than any other model name.
  • veetek99veetek99 Member Posts: 4
    I notice that when you start this car that it sounds really loud, then after running for a bit it quiets down. Why is the idle so loud at start up on this car? My other car is an '02 Civic LX and it doesn't sound near as loud on start up. Does this sound normal or not? Thanks for any replies.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    It's normal.

It's an emissions thing.
    is on target to exceed 300K sales this year - I wonder how long it has been since it has done that. The sales seem to indicate that the redesign last year really resounded with car buyers.

It is soundly trouncing civic for the first time in a long while (to the tune of 3000 more sales every month) and has 50% more sales than the next compact competitor: cavalier. Cav will have many more fleet sales as a percentage too.