Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• ranger96ranger96 Member Posts: 16
    I went to look at the car today and they have a summer sale and they have the car on sale for $15,300 without tax, is this a good price?Thanx(selling price 16,500)
  • alecyalecy Member Posts: 1
    Toyota Corolla?
    I bought this car without a manual!Is that right?
  • rc82rc82 Member Posts: 5
    I just got a quote of $14853 (excluding tax and license) from a dealer for a new Corolla LE automatic with:
    cruise control
    AM/FM cass, CD + 6 speakers
    Floor mats.
    I'm using this info to try to get a competing dealer to give me the same exact car for $16000 OTD. Do you think it's possible that the dealer will give me this deal?
  • colpidiumcolpidium Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2003 Corolla LE auto for $15,645 OTD. The car has cruise control,
    AM/FM cass, CD + 6 speakers,floor mats, cargo net, and all weather packages. I think it's good deal so I took it, although I was just looking for a car but not in a hurry. I live in central Jersey.
  • rc82rc82 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my 2004 Corolla LE auto for $16200 OTD, after tax and license and DMV fees. After the lengthy paperword process was done, the dealer wouldn't take my money. He told me to wait for the bill to come in the mail and then pay $320 the first payment then the remaining balance twp weeks later. He told me that he's losing $800 on the deal so he has to let me pay by this method to earn some money. I suspect this is some creative financing by the dealer's accountant. Can anyone give me some details about how this works?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    So they wanted you to finance the car and you wanted to pay cash right?

I work for an auto finance place, and the dealer gets a kickback on the loan when you go through their lending source. He's just trying to make some cash like he told you. I know with mine, the loan has to be in effect for 6 months though. I don't work for Toyota though, their procedures might be different.
  • observationobservation Member Posts: 5
    2 months ago, I bought my LE with cruise control, CD/Cassette with 6 speakers, all weather, cargo, floor mats with manual for $14,300 plus tax and registration. isn't an automatic $600 option?
  • rnayarrnayar Member Posts: 1
    I own a '98 Corolla that was maintained as per Toyota's documented reccomendations. It sludged at 33K miles and blewup at 51K miles. I furnished proofs of maintenance history to Toyota,but they refused to reimburse saying that it was my fault. Moreover Corolla is excluded from their goodwill program. With growing number of sludge complaints from Corolla owners, Toyota should consider including Corolla in the list as well.

see details of my case at:
    http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/live/Toyota/227.html
    handle: rnayar
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    That really sucks, and I'm sorry to hear that. I actually havent heard of Corolla sludge issues, but I do know that the Special Policy (or whatever it was called) was confined to the 2.2L 4 cylinder and 3.0L V6, neither of which share architecture with the Corolla's 1.8L.

Best of luck.

~alpha
  • jsleesijsleesi Member Posts: 33
    Dear Host,

How can I add American flag on my message?

Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Go to the "My Profile" link under Account Center in the upper left of this page. You'll find a place in your profile where you designate the country where you live. This is what associates a flag with your user name when you post.

Note that you have to get out of the Town Hall and then re-login to see the change.

Hope this helps. : )
  • louislmtlouislmt Member Posts: 2
    I wonder if anyone has driven 96 Corolla 1.6L model for long highway trip? I am thinking of getting a auto version, just wanna know would it run as bad as Prizm, since many people said avoid getting the 3 spd version of Prizm. The car I am looking at has 80K mile and asking for 3000.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Yes, avoid the 3 speed if you will be using it a lot on the highway. I owned a 1995 3 speed and while it will keep up on the highway it makes a lot of noise and uses more fuel.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I owned one of these for the past 5 years, and the 1.8 engine could move, if it had to. Would definitely avoid the 1.6 motors. My 1.8 had the overdrive also and the gas mileage was extremely good, even with the a/c on!

The Sandman :-)
    I agree, but only to an extent- with manual shift the 1.6L was in line with other vehicles of that time, and returns decent fuel economy/power mix. I would defintely avoid the 1.6L/3sp auto combo.

~alpha
  • climber_rajclimber_raj Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying a 04 corolla CE with option package C with a manual tranny. I have heard that Corolla's have had a problem with burning oil? is this correct for the 03 and 04 model??
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    No problems with burning oil, or anything serious, for that matter.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Corolla S but probably won't do a test drive at night. Can a current owner clue me in to what color the instrument panel lights are and how it looks? Is it like the Matrix panel (which I saw a photo of), with light blue and red colors?
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    They are backlit with light that has a minute amount of blue in it and look really classy. I wondered if it might be some sort of flourescent lighting but there is no perceptible delay whan you switch the lights on and they do not flicker. If you like the look of the instruments in the day when, to me, they look just OK, you'll like them better at night.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    tell me what their experience has been with towing a small trailer or fishing boat with the Corolla? I know the tow capacity is 1500lb. What was it like on hills? Does the car provide enough with a full load on board? Thanks!
  • ranger96ranger96 Member Posts: 16
    I just bought my new 2003 Toyota Corolla S with a/t , Power Package and Sport Package, with 6 Speakers. I paid $17,000 OTD with taxes etc.
    Is this a good price bought in Hawaii?
  • firescoobyfirescooby Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at a new Corolla S 5 speed. I drive mostly highway 60 miles each way to work. I was wondering what kind of gas mileage people are getting. FYI: I am comparing/ looking at VW Jetta TDI 5 speed. The Corolla rated at 32/40, Jetta at 42/49.

Thanks
  • weingartenweingarten Member Posts: 1
    Help! I just moved to Louisiana, and I'm looking for a new Toyota Corolla. I've done all my research on Edmunds.com and a dozen other sites, but all the data I've been able to find so far on Invoice prices indicates that the Gulf states (including Louisiana) invoice prices may actually be different from everywhere else in the nation.

Of course, when I take my Edmunds.com information to the dealerships, they tell me that it's garbage and that I can just throw it away, because it's wrong. I know that that's a typical technique for dealerships, but I'm concerned that it may actually be TRUE here, because of the unique situation of the Gulf States Toyota dealers.

Furthermore, Gulf States Toyota DOES NOT MAKE a Corolla with ABS. I absolutely insisted on ABS, and they finally admitted to me that they could special-order one. Then they started dicking me around about price, pointing to my Edmunds.com pricing report and insisting that the MSRP was their invoice price. I know that that was all lies, but since the Invoice price isn't reliable for Louisiana, I don't know just how low I can go on my demands for a lower price.

Can anyone advise me where I might be able to find actual invoice prices for Louisiana?

Thanks,

-- David
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    In 2000, I purchased a new GMC pickup and was noticing on my records that they charged me $500.19 for regional advertising. I purchased the vehicle for $350 over invoice and never noticed they had added this extra charge into the invoice price. That is all water under the bridge but I am now thinking about purchasing a new Corolla LE for my wife. Can I expect regional advertising costs or is that all built into the basic invoice price the dealer pays the manufacturer?
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    I bought my Corolla here in Arkansas, and it is also a Gulf States Toyota. In my case, Gulf States had incentives that the rest of the nation did not seem to have, and ended up getting me a $1000 rebate on the car.

As far as invoice goes, it was very close to Edmunds - the only variation was the Gulf States options that were installed (leather, cruise, and a couple of other things).

If the dealer says the invoice is bunk, ask him show it to you. When dealing with the dealer, deal at invoice plus, not haggle over discount from MSRP. In my humble opinion, from what you've told me about the dealer, I would move on. Life is too short to do business with people that have no respect for customers.

I ended up paying about $350 over invoice here in Fort Smith, and they made a mistake and actually gave me tinted windows. With the rebate, that made it $650 BELOW invoice. It was around $15k and I think the sticker was around or over $17k. I made a post earlier on the board with the exact numbers if you want to look it up.

I'm not sure about the ABS - I would check with other dealers on that.
    that can respond to my last post #3157 about towing? Thanks again!
  • nitroladynitrolady Member Posts: 14
    A friend of mine recently bought a used 2001 Corolla LE. She has power windows/door locks and cruise control, but did not get a keyless entry remote for the car.

Anyone know if the remote keyless entry was included in a power package on the LE in 2001? Couldn't find original option packages on the Edmunds site for years past.

Nitrolady
    99 % sure it was not.
    ~alpha
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    If you want to tow, go buy a truck. Even a 20 year old Toyota Truck will tow up to 3500 lbs, and 2000 without ever straining.

There is a cost involved making the Corolla ready to tow, the same could buy an old truck, and you can attach a ball to the bumper.
  • nitroladynitrolady Member Posts: 14
    So you think the remote keyless was an individual option package by itself? Or was it bundled into something else (moonroof, ABS, rocket thrusters, etc.)?
    But I believe keyless was a dealer installed accessory in that year.
    ~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    A small trailer, or small fishing boat (aluminum rowboat type with a small engine) would be no problem for a Corolla to tow. If Toyota did not think towing was appropriate they would not reccomend it for up to 1,500 lbs. You could keep under 1,000 lbs to be on the safe side, though in Europe the towing ratings are often twice what they are here in the states.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Exactly.

In Germany the Toyota Yaris -the Echo in NA- can tow 900 kgs, aprox. 2000 lbs. This even apllies to the 1.3 liter (smaller) 83 HP engine.

So if the Echo can tow 2000 lbs the Corolla should be able to do the same or better.
    to Pat, the HOST, and everyone else who responded to my towing question! Tundradude, I don't want a truck, but thanks anyway.
  • stevenq99stevenq99 Member Posts: 36
    firescooby I have a 2004 corolla s 5 speed with 1400 miles and am getting on average 36 MPG in mixed driving. My guess is straight highway driving 40 mpg should be possible.
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    Autonut,
    I do not tow with Corolla, but have some experience with Subaru. Subaru is 700 lbs heavier and engine has 35 more HP (2.5L H4), thus it can easly handle the rated 2000 Lbs of trailer. In Europe/Australia it is rated at 1400 kg and more.
    Based on this, I can imagine that Corolla should do 1500-2000 lbs. easily.
    However, AT cooler is a must. I measured 220 F in fluid after spirited driving in Corolla (85+ MPH) on a hot day. If you add load, it will cook the tranny.
    If you exceed 1000-1500 lbs, you should probably invest in trailer brakes for your sefety.
  • kidddkiddd Member Posts: 3
    A guy in my school is selling a 02 corolla S, auto, a/c, power w/d, keyless, alarm, cruise control, tilt wheel, cd/casset/4speaker, indigo ink, 15kmile, bought 10/19/01, very good condition. I probably be able to get it for about $10500 (before tax), which is around TMV. A 04 S with same equipment is at around $15000(or even lower) plus ttl. I like the appearance of the new corolla. is there any major improvement of the performance? is 125hp to 130hp a big deal? I heard that some of o3 corollas are noisy and have a wind sound at 55+, is that true? SHOULD GO WITH THE 02 OR 04? THANKS!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    If the difference in price isn't a big deal, I'd lean for the 04. It's a much better car overall.
  • onlyimportsonlyimports Member Posts: 29
    I've owned a 03 Le and driven the 02 model. A big improvement in handling, rear-room, material quality (dashboard) and refinement. The steering even has a tight european feel in the 03/04 model. Go for the new model because the improvement is night and day.
  • laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    I have both the 02 and 03 Corollas in my family and my wife and I rotate on them. Following is a summary of how they compare based on my driving them day in, day out for the past 1.5 years:

Steering: Slight advantage for the 03 Corolla

Ride: Slight advantage for the 02 Corolla (03's version is a bit more bouncy)

Handling: about even (the 03 model is more confidence inspiring at moderate speeds, but more tippy at higher speeds or on windy days)

Fuel consumption: A slight advantage for the 02 vesion in Summer and a BIG advantage for same in Winter. The 03 model Winter fuel consumption is unexlpicably bad (the dealer hasn't a clue!). Thankfully, no foul smell incidents in either model, unlike many here who experience the rotten egg smell in the 03 model.

Refinement: the 02 model is quieter at all engine speeds, and the noise it produces is less thrashy than the decidedly agricultural sound emanating from the 03 model engin during hard accleration.

Build quality: 03 has a better fit and finish (smaller panel gaps and such), BUT the 02 seems to have a tighter build quality (less rattles despite higher milage).

Inerior design and quality: the ONLY THING in the 03 model that is vastly superior to the 02 model.

Crash worthiness: the 03 model is better.

Driving position: a major problem with the 03 model, but only for people taller than 5'9". I'm 6', and I'm much more comfortable in the 02 Corolla. My wife, who's 5'5", is equally comfortable in either.

Looks: highly subjective, for sure, but the 03 looks fresher to my eyes (it's a newer design after all). On the other hand, the 02, which may be a tad too mundane looking, is more proprtionate and doesn't have that annoying narrow tall design many small cars -including the 03 Corolla- seem to have these days, unfortunately.

Good luck with your purchase. Either way you'll end up with the best-engineered car in the small car segment.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    I have keyless entry with my 2001 Corolla LE and it was of course part of my RS3001 security system as an option.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I was curious if any Corolla owners considered getting a Camry instead when you went car shopping. Besides the obvious fact of the Corolla costing less, are there any other benefits to the 03/04 Corolla vs. the 03 Camry? If you had a few extra thousand, would you have sprung for the Camry?
  • kidddkiddd Member Posts: 3
    Any differences between cars made in these countries?
  • 3955markj3955markj Member Posts: 2
    I also have a '99 Corolla LE (53,000 miles) that is using excessive amounts of oil. Always changed oil on schedule. Dealer said shot rings. Took it to independent mechanic who ran some tests and they concluded that it was not the rings because the compression tests did not show any significant difference between cylinders. Took it back to dealer and they still say it is the rings. I suspect it could be sludging due to poor engine design as with other toyotas. In any event, the dealer is overhauling the engine under warranty and I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off (again).
  • laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    I was startled today driving my 2003 Corolla back from work when, while going about 100 km/hr (62 miles/hr), I shoved the accelerator trying to overtake the car beside me quickly (to catch an exit I almost over-shot!), only to find the rpm shooting to almost 6000 with no extra momentum whatsoever! It happened once before 2 months ago, but I had just hit a bump at high speed and dismissed it as the reason.

Has anybody had this happen to them? Is this normal, or should I be worried? I'll send the car to the dealer to have it checked, but I wanted to check your feedback here first.

Thanks!
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    I have a '98 Corolla with 48,000 and it runs fine. But since some have faced problems at over 50K miles, I'm concerned that I may have to eventually face this sludge problem. I'm wondering if using an engine flush would be a safe preventative maintenance thing to have done to my vehicle. The key word being "safe", as in a Not harmful to my engine's gaskets.

I'll kick myself if the Corolla engine has this sludge problem because I was shopping for a newer used car since my VE didn't have A/C. I decided to keep my 'Rolla and add A/C since I was only offered $4,300 as trade in and couldn't get a used '03 Corolla for $12,000 (which I didn't even test drive at the time). Well, heck if the dealers are going to offer me bottom dollar on a trade in, I'll counter with bottom dollar for their used cars.
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    I had a 2003 Corolla as a loaner while my '98 was getting A/C installed. I'll start out by saying that my '98 has 195/50 15 performance tires to let you know where I'm coming from in comparing my '98 to an '03.

The '03 handled well, but it's "higher stance/higher center of gravity" made it less fun to drive than my '98 with 195/50 15 tires. This may not be a fair comparison, but I think the higher stance of the new Corolla makes it less fun to drive.

Power in the ’03 was impressive, even while running A/C. The A/C I've recently added to my '98 Corolla really saps power. I understand that the 2003's A/C is a self-contained electric unit, no belt to the engine to rob power.

The cup holder in the '03 will probably do better in holding tall metal commuter cups in place and Not have them fall to the floor on sharp turns as in my '98. I also think that the auto trans shifter's more forward position is a better location and will result in a lessening of accidental knockings into neutral

I'm only 5'7" and I like the driving position of my '98 better than the '03. My feet felt cramped at the pedals on the '03.

I like the styling of my mystic teal '98 Corolla with premium wheels and performance tires over the '03 Corolla. IMO, the '03 is a rather frumpy looking car.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    My 1996 Corolla DX has the Toyota RS3000 security system. I'm looking to replace the (broken) remote control I have with one from Ebay. Apparently there are two kinds...black ones and gray ones. My current one is black. There are currently only gray ones for sale on Ebay. One seller said he didn't think the gray one would work in place of my black one. What do you all think? (He says he can sell me a black one for $32 plus S/H--twice the price of the gray one. That seems peculiar, but he is a power seller with a very positive collection of reviews.)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    How's the 'Rolla doin'. I got rid of mine in May, the brakes weren't great even after being replaced. Test drove the '03 'Rolla but the brakes were as mushy as the '96 'Rolla and our 2 previous Camrys so no more Toyotas for this family.
    Ended up going with a '03 Sentra and besides a a/c warranty issue, the car is a great little driver, overall very satisfied.
    Hope all is well with your '96 DX.

The Sandman :-)