Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• squinty25squinty25 Member Posts: 30
    I'll have to second the opinion that aside from this check engine light fiasco, my car has been completely excellent, considering the amount of wear and tear I've put it through.

silversolara - No, I haven't posted this on camryman.org. Actually the last time I went on there, it was a little hard to navigate and find the exact subject I was looking for, so I gave up and went to solaraguy.com. Honestly, I found Edmunds and batauto.com most useful.

I'll keep you posted on today's outcome.
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    You had to go back 1700 posts for 'why I bought my car"!?! Lot's of free time you have! Okay!!! Sorry if I try to be active, giving my input to people that address this thread, such as squinty, or any newer member that may have an issue, by telling of my experiance, and solutions.
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    Your so-called constructive complaints just sicken me. The only reason I pulled up that old post was because you lied about it earlier. Take your bile to Rant.com.

Cliffy - thank you for continuing to add opinions from the other side of the floor, as it were. 99% of us find your comments instructive.

My apologies to the rest of the forum.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    What is a "powertrain" component and what is a "comprehensive" component is a squirrely. To me, an alternator would be something that directly contributes to driving the car and therefore a powertrain component. That part is not covered under the 5/60 though.

As to the wiring harness, it is not considered powertrain, although you may have some recourse. You said it was replaced once right? There should be a 1 year/12K mile warranty on any replacement parts. Ask the service director about that. Also, I want to make sure I understand when all of this happened. You are past the 3/36K warranty right?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I wasn't trying to start a webguyster bashing session. I was honestly asking that you ease up a bit. It really does seem like a hobby to you at this point, but then, I consider my participation here a hobby as well. It just seems that your's is awfully negative.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    and consider a Sebring, 2003 Accord, and Monte Carlo coupe before buying a Solara coupe.
    Personally, I like the room and taillamps of the Solara best.
    I did not lie about anything. And if your sickened by something on a car website, I suggest you seek professional help, ASAP! You may have some other issues brewing. There is help.

libertycat, why do you suggest the other cars?
  • squinty25squinty25 Member Posts: 30
    FYI to those interested: My car was amazingly returned the same night, so I can tell you what happened. The correction listed on the invoice said "Tech rewired and replaced connector for ECU to trans solenoid". The good news is that it didn't cost nearly as much as I expected--only $164. Maybe I shouldn't say this until I wait a while, but the dealership was actually quite courteous to me today, the technician supposedly sympathized and stayed late to fix this, and therefore I wasn't forced into getting a rental, plus I think he knocked a few dollars off the bill. Sure, maybe it's BS, but my soft side almost feels bad for ragging on them here so much. :)

cliffy1 - I understand now how some parts cannot be covered under Powertrain. However, now that you mentioned it, a wiring harness was replaced in an earlier visit and I wasn't charged (it was considered warranty). So I'm confused. But like I said, the charge wasn't too horrendous so I'm going to leave it be.

Thanks for all your help, guys! Hopefully I won't have to come back here with a negative follow-up.
    Kewl beans, and good for you! The guys at the dealerships get more... nice, the more you get to know them! ;^)

Cliffy, I dont blame you for the webguyster backlash! It's all good. I do forget that "Middle America' is a bit more sensitive too....sensitivity! LOL!
  • hud116222hud116222 Member Posts: 46
    WOW! See what happens when a person gets busy and can't check in here for a few days! All I can say is I LOVE my Solara- driving it is almost----whoops- can't say that word. :) Have a wonderful Christmas all and my New Year's resolution is to try to check in here more often. Peace, love, and MANY miles of driving pleasure to you all.
    ... smarminess is next to godliness? i'm from Philly, kid, and insulting Middle America isn't going to cover up your deficincies when it comes to objectively chatting about our cars. i've been civil to you before, and my comments have always addressed your inability to stay level-headed about your mess.

if you want to make it personal, so be it.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    For being from Philly, you seem to be downright courteous!

-ss4 from South Jersey, where many of us have Philly atty-tood, too.
    Thanks for being civil "before"! Why did you stop, and start being insulting? Your name calling is childish, and I am certain, against the rules of the forum. I am from Chicago, since were giving bios, thats about as middle America as one can get, at least on my map!?! Whew!

Should keep the topic on cars, not neighborhoods!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Getting personal? So be it NOT. Cars only. If you must get personal, take it to e-mail so that the rest of us don't have to scroll through the drivel.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks Kristie_h Host. If your not a car dealer, on some of these sites, one may get a little bashed, for trying to bring forth an honest experience with the cars! Thanks again!
  • hoo024lawhoo024law Member Posts: 2
    Could anyone please inform me as to how difficult or easy it is to install the toyota auto-dimming rearview mirror on the Solara? I have the standara rear-view but wanted to upgraded it. I know there is a power supply attached to the auto-dim. (I dont have instructions) Anyone with any experience in the matter? Help is greatly appreciated.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    ..you want to do that? the reason I ask is that we have a auto-dimming mirror on our '99 SLE and it is the one&only feature I wish we did NOT have. Find it does not dim bright lights behind enough, would rather have the manual "flip" mirror - at least you can get rid of the glare. Just my opinion.
    If your used to one, it might be a good feature, especially in certain types of driving. I find them to be larger and more distracting while driving, so I frequently request my rental not to have one (ie... OnStar in GM's). Just an FYI. Seems like more labor, removing the headliner, and hooking it up, then reinstalling the headliner.

Anyone have the remote truck release added to the 2000 model. Gets embarrassing at my upscale gym, having to use a key to put away my gym bag, when leaving. Any idea on price, etc?
    comparable room, and more horsepower. I forgot to mention to consider the Stratus coupe which (again in my opinon) has sportier styling than the others.
    "Gets embarrassing at my upscale gym, having to use a key to put away my gym bag, when leaving."
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    How atrocious it is to be bothered by a key to open up the trunk!

Think of it this way--since you go to the gym, you probably want to burn up calories or something similar. Finding your key and putting it in the key slot and turning it burns up more calories than pressing a button.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Regarding complaining about dealers or cars on Town Hall.

This issue comes up on many boards, and after three + years of looking at what transpires, the Host suggests that what works best is to tell your story and then be done with it, especially in a topic dedicated to enthusiasts who want to talk about the car.

We have therefore encouraged people with "problems" to stay out of mainstream "marque" topics and start a "______ Problems" topic in the Repair & Maintenance Board. Works best for everybody.

So as Host I'd like to see all extensive Solara Sad Stories to be elaborated upon over there, not here. One complaint story per car should be plenty here I would think. The reason is that in Repair & Maintenance we have techs who visit and actually press for a resolution of the issue or industry people who suggest resolution. They LIKE reading this stuff, most people here don't seem to.

Thanks for listening. No need to comment, in fact I'd be happy if you just continued with your discussion on the Solara in general.

MrShiftright

Host

• earlgrey_44earlgrey_44 Member Posts: 21
    It would be indeed be good if we just continued the discussion, but this might be tough. If a person hasn't learned the difference between: A) sharing facts (including the negative), answering questions, "car talk" and other positive behaviors, and B) endlessly recycling the same old feelings of frustration and anger in as many guises as possible - then they probably won't learn that on a BB. But who knows? It's possible...

BTW, anybody replace their OEM 205's with 215 tires?
    Maybe your suggestion will clean up this site; I think many of us have tired of hearing the same old complaints from the same party. Let's move on!! Our '99 SLE V6 continues to perform well with zero problems. Four snows on dedicated rims (with the traction control) get us thru the winter easily. Probably buy it out the lease this summer and keep it. Earlgrey 44 - the snows are 215s - no problem at all.
    How does your Solara handle serious snow/salting? We haven't had any real snow (thank goodness) in this part of the US for about five years now...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Anything that seems to be making visits to Town Hall unpleasant for the majority will be handled fairly, no worries!

Shifty the Host

As to the last first, salt is not a big problem in B.C. where most of our winter driving occurs. It is hardly ever used on the roads, the hiways are "sanded" with mix of "sand" (use that term loosly as there seems to be a lot of rocks in the "sand" so windshield stars/paint chips are a bigger winter problem)and chemicals (not salt based). As to snow, the combination of 4 snows, the traction lock and the FWD, makes the SLE pretty good in snow. It is not as good, however, as my Subaru TS wagon with the AWD, 4 snows and standard shift. So if we have trips where we expect big snow problems, we take the Subie. Having said that, we have no trouble climbing icey hills with the Solara. As you are in N.J., your snow is likely a wet snow (right?) and is more difficult for any vehicle to handle.
  • earlgrey_44earlgrey_44 Member Posts: 21
    rbleland, did you have to get different size wheels for your snows, in order to accommodate the 215's? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I haven't looked into the fit issues much. I'm interested in replacing the original tires with a better gripping and shorter stopping tire without losing too much in mileage and quietness. I don't know that I'd bother if I couldn't use my current alloys.
    a good holiday to everybody in the forum. i doubt that santa will leave me a TRD supercharger under the tree, but one can always hope!
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    to all my fellow Solara owners, and everyone else out there on the Forums.

My Pearl White SLE is 4 years old today, and still has not had a single repair or squeak or rattle. I wish you all the same experience!
    It's that good California living!
  • surfbabe1977surfbabe1977 Member Posts: 30
    I've read on other sites that the new 2004 Solara will be out this spring redesigned as a 2004 model. Does anyone have any pics or news on this?
    Thanks!
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    2004 Toyota Camry Solara: New model introduced in spring 2003 with mechanical changes in line with the redesigned 2002 Camry sedan. We hear it is a proper notchback coupe, not a fastback like first-generation car.

thats about all i could find on internet
  • jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I am a happy owner of a 2000 Accord EX V6 coupe. Since Honda has seen fit to make the '03 Accord Coupe look like it was styled by the same guys who ruined the Taurus in '96, I too would be interested in knowing what to expect with the next Solara. Lets hope Toyota doesn't screw up its midsize coupe like Honda did.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There isn't alot of information on the new Solara as of yet, however, the designer for it is the same as the one who designed the SC430 Convertible from Lexus. From what I've heard, it looks very similar to that vehicle. It's going to be based on the new generation Camry platform. As we get info, I'll be sure to post it here.

Ken
    Unfortunately, I think the SC430 is not very attractive. It looks like an old bar of soap.
  • hambone32hambone32 Member Posts: 68
    I've heard all kinds of desciptions if the 2004 Solara. I don't believe that it will look like an SC430, and I don't believe it will be a notchback. One thing I know is that when it does come out it's going to make our Solaras look old, so I'll probably want to buy it or another car. We don't need descriptions, we need pictures, and good ones too. If anybody finds any, please post a link.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    what's a notchback? thanks
    '03 Accord coupe - i though it was just me. i actually liked the look of the '00 Accord coupe.

then again, a friend of mine into muscle cars keeps showing me pics of Superbirds, 'Cudas, and Chargers, and swears that almost all '90's era cars are boring to look at.

counter to that, i usually bring up the '70's era AMC contingent... :)
    A 'notchback' has a perceptible angle at the rear of the roof, where it meets the supporting pillar, as opposed to a 'fastback' where the roofline just flows rearward.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    hello everyone, new to this forum but somewhat active in the honda portion, owning both an 03 accord and an 00 solara.

the notchback talk might have come from an internet photo with "hollywoodextra" as part of its url.

the website is till there but recently have had no success pulling up the photo, which i succeeded doing sometime april/may 02.

what i remember of the supposed 04's styling is that yes, it's a notchback and that it's not as attractive (a subjective opinion of course) as the current gen.

if the outgoing solara was designed in toyota's california studio, and the incoming car is a japan domestic model (which it seemed like based on the brief article on said website), the 04 car may take some time getting used to.

that's an observation of home-market cars sold in the us such as the current infiniti m45 and some more older japanese cars.

won't be long before motor trend gives us an artist's sketch, if not a spy photo, of this awaited car.
    If it is a Hollywood extra photo, I wouldn't bet the farm that it is accurate. Many of the photos from that site are photo shop creations. An example from the past was the photos of the 2003 Accord. The new model looks nothing like those photos. Its too bad because the coupe looked much better than what Honda ended up giving us. Another example is the 2003 (or maybe '04) Mercury sedan. It shows a Ford Mondeo from Europe with a Mercury grille. The text says it is shown driving around a test track somewhere while the pics are actually of the Mondeo at an auto show with the grille doctored up with a computer. I have seen the actual Mondeo pics and recognized it. So be cautious about believing everything from that site. Some are accurate, but many are not.
  • cooldude1755cooldude1755 Member Posts: 22
    The driver's side seat belt recoil mechanism, or as it may be called - pretensioner, doesn't work well. Many times I have to feed it back in the side panel to get it to retract. I took it to the dealer and their report states "no problem found in parts or workmanship, normal for Solara convertible". I do not route the belt through the seat guide/holder because it really binds it up.

To the forum, anyone with a convertible let me know the status of your seat belt....working or otherwise.
    Sorry to be so tardy in reply but I was away from Dec.20 to today (Jan.3) and just read your query. No, the wheels should be OK w the 215 tires. I did use alternate wheels but that was to avoid the mounting/unmounting problem. Hope this reply is not too late.

Happy 2003 to all of you !!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The mechanism that you're describing is the retractor. The pretensioner on a seatbelt is activiated in the event of an accident and in most cases is a pyrotechnic device. The guide they use of the seatbelts has very small tolerences so that the seatbelt does not twist up within the guide. What I've found works best if your seatbelt is binding is to use a bar of soap. DO NOT WET IT! With the dry bar of soap, rub it on the areas that seem to have trouble binding and it typically solves the problem. Hope this helps.

Ken
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I've seen that photo of the 2004 Solara to which you were referring. I don't believe Toyota would sell anything that could possibly look like that.
    Have yet to see a photo, of the new Solara. What is the website?

Being European, notchback, is a topless. Is this what it is???
    I have seen the photo of the 2004 Solara on the Hollywoodextra website, and I am sure it is no longer there. I agree that Hollywoodextra is an unreliable source of information, and I would not take anything posted on that site seriously. On another topic, I also agree that the current Accord is not as attractive as the former model. I believe that it is very likely that the next generation Solara will be less attractive than the current model. If it is due by the spring, I guess that means we should expect it by May? I know this is totally wacky, but I wish they would put t-tops on it and a bigger motor. That would really set it apart from the Camry, and any other car for that matter. I don't have a moonroof on mine, because I dislike moonroofs, but I love t-tops. I think the last Japanese car to have t-tops was the Z, and I loved them. I remember that the old Monte Carlos had t-tops on them, and I think that the Solara appeals to a similar crowd. Most of us like the smooth, non-sporty, American car ride that the Solara gives, and we all love the fact that it's a coupe. What the heck would we do with two extra doors anyway? Kids are really limber, and they can easily squeeze into the back seat.
    ...and if the 2004 Solara doesn't look great, I'm going to write Toyota hate mail. There is absolutely no excuse to make a car which only sells in North America unappealing to americans. Personally, I'm getting tired of the strange Japanese designs.