Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    185/60TR14 82T SL 420 A B
    185/65TR14 85T SL 420 A B
    185/70TR14 87T 420 A B
    195/60TR14 85T SL 420 A B
    195/65TR14 88T SL 420 A B

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=Avid+T4

This info above came from Tirerack. The 185/65 14 has the same # at 85 than the 195/60 14, but if you look at the webpage, the 185/65 14 falls between the 195/60 14 and the 195/65 14.

I experience minor rubbing on dips in the road but I like the tire increase. It has not affected my speedometer. The 195/60 shouldn't affect the speedometer either and it will have no rubbing because of its lower diameter. I purchased the 195/65 because thats what they had in stock that particular day when I needed them.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Did you notice any rubbing or bottoming out with the tire change you made on your Corolla? I'm thinking of going from 185/65/14's to 195/60/14's so your input would be very beneficial to me . Thanks in advance for your help. Tundradude has already been very helpful in this matter but your switch is more inline with what I'd like to do. Thanks again.
  • Options
    dchinndchinn Member Posts: 64
    Correct me if I'm incorrect, As long as the height ratio of the tire remains the same, the speedometer is still accurate; e.g. 175x65x14 vs. 185x65x14 vs. 195x65x14. Speedo will change if one changes the ratio from a 185x65x14 to a 185x60x14.
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    that is correct, but halfsizes do not result into major speed changes, than say from 70 to a 60
  • Options
    nick29nick29 Member Posts: 19
    sandman46:The tires I installed 195 60R14 work great no bottoming out or rubbing. Ride is better swell as the improved appearance. The 60 series tires look more substantial and sportier.No worries,go for it!
  • Options
    glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    I've had 195/50 15's on my 98 Corolla for a couple of years now. No bottoming or rubbing. The speedometer is still accurate because the increase in wheel diameter compensates for the lower profile tires. The switch really made my Corolla fun to drive, look better and become much more stable when driving against the wind.
  • Options
    denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    There are three ways to get going when you're on a hill. Which method you use has a lot to do with how steep the hill is.

1. If it's not too steep, simply slipping your foot from the brake to the accelerator is fine -- just be sure to give it enough gas so as not to stall (this will come to you very quickly, with practice).

2. If the hill is relatively steep, you can keep the brake depressed with your heel while depressing the accelerator with your toe. This is known as "heel and toeing", and is used in double-clutching for high-speed driving in corners.

3. If the hill is REALLY steep (say, San Francisco), using the handbrake is not a bad idea, although technique #2 will work well with a little practice.
  • Options
    Subaru has sold manual transmission cars with hill holder clutches in the past. They make a lot of sense and I'm not sure they haven't caught on with other car manufacturers. I saw an ad several years ago for a hill holder kit you can install after market, not sure if they still sell them.
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I've seen a recent post in this forum about this woman complaining that her Toyota's transmission "sludged". Would anyone care to explain what a "sludgy" transmission would do?

I've also read a post replying to this woman's comment, and said that it was due to improper warm-up of her car. Ok, what's a proper warm-up for the car? To me that means to not start the car and drive it immediately when it's -30 Celsius outside, but some of you might have different meanings of this.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Has anyone recently test driven a Corolla and a Civic? I've heard that the Corolla has a much better ride compared to the new Civic. The Corolla's suspension is smoother, the drive is also less noisy, etc. Any comments?
  • Options
    The sludge thing is a myth being perpetrated by people looking to hook Toyota in a class-action suit, and has no merit. They're also saying this about the engine, and it's total BS.

If you follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual, ANYTHING that goes wrong would be fixed under warranty anyway -- don't worry about it. To warm up your car, start it, let it run for about 10-15 seconds, then drive it gently until the temp gauage indicates the engine is up to normal operating temperature. This procedure should be followed for ANY car (be sure to tell that to your wife -- women are notorious for getting in a car and immediately revving the crap out the engine).

Re the Corolla's ride: silky. I added the TRD suspension bits, so mine is definitely no longer silky -- but it handles a lot better, so I'm happy with the trade-off. Dunno about the Civic, haven't driven one.
  • Options
    Waiting 10-15 seconds before putting the car in gear is only necessary first thing in the morning or when it's really cold outside. All you're trying to do is let oil get up into the engine before hammering the throttle.
  • Options
    liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    I thought those ppl are trying to relatethis sludge issue to the engine, now they linked to transmission too???

Dennis:
    could u define what you said by gently? My commute to/from work is only 2-3 miles via the highway, so the engine temperature usually only been at the normal temp for a short time when I got there. I know a lot of "cold" start isn't good for the engine, so in this case will 3000miles oil change interval help lessen the impact?
    With this winter weather, I now start my car and let it sit for 1-2 minutes in the morning before driving. Make the car warmer for my frozen body.

Canc:
    The 2000 Civic does has harsher suspension (translation:rougher ride) and lot more engine and wind noise compare to the 2000 Corolla.
    But the 2001 Civic does ride better and less noise. I say the ride and noise is pretty much comparable now, maybe Corolla has a slightly better ride. The difference i noticed the most is in the passenger space & the flat rear floor of the civic.
  • Options
    crieckecriecke Member Posts: 37
    Thanks teo. I like it,were do I sign up for delivery.

Will be ready to trade my 2000 CE when it gets here. Charlie
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The 2003 Pontiac Vibe will be the GM spinoff of the all new 2003 Toyota Corolla. It will be built in the same NUMMI plant assembly line using Toyota componetry....see it for yourself:

http://motortrend.com/autoshows/la01/

By the way, after 2002, the Chevy prizm will be discontinued and the GM will live on as the Pontiac Vibe Hybrid/Sportswagon.
  • Options
    wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    here is a useful EPA page. They actually did a useful study, wow! ;)

http://www.epa.gov/OMSWWW/rfgecon.htm

It shows how how much reformulated gas, cold temperature, and poor road condition, ect will affect your gas milage on average. Good to know.
  • Options
    I like the styling very much, it has a classy look to it. You should see the interior pictures, they really look like a grade up from any compact car on the market.

I don't understand why Toyota is letting GM get their hands on the Corolla design. Prizm ate into Corolla's sales, and Vibe will be competing with Toyota's RAV4. Why not just pay GM the money and buy the GM's share of the NUMMI plant from them?
  • Options
    liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    Who knows? Perhaps Toyota&GM has somekind of profit sharing for all the Prizm being sold, some% goes to Toyota, the rest to GM. I can understand Toyota want to tap on the GM name (and perhaps the dealer network) in the early 90s. But now they should've enough presence to sell whatever model they have.

Also wenyue, I dont think GM will be stupid enough to sell their shares in the NUMMI plant. It gives them ways to learn Toyota's secret like you said.

The Vibe does looks intriguing. Why on earth did GM release the Aztek if they have something such as the Vibe in their pocket??
  • Options
    I have also noticed a sludgy transmission in my '96 Corolla when I first get it to go. From 1st to 2nd is no problem and 2nd to 3rd either. But it takes a bit to go from 3rd to 4th gear and I feel like it wants to kick down but can't. This happens at about 35 to 42 mph. I finally feel a little jolt as the transmission kicks into the right gear. This only happens on the first time out, each time. Had the transmission flushed out and the fluid changed about 3 weeks ago, but this problem is still there. Weird. After it kicks down that first time, the problem is gone till the next cold start. Interesting and my mechanic found nothing wrong. Any other info would be of great help. Thanks to all in advance.
  • Options
    I wouldn't call what you discribed as "sludgy". Sounds like you have a hesitating transmission. Maybe it's a computer code that can't make up it's mind. But it does shift to 4th at the right speed right? The 4th gear should come at about 45 mph (at least on the 1998+ corolla), and that's where my transmission shifts, minus the hesitation feeling you discribe (it's silky smooth).

When you change the transmission oil, did the transmission oil still look red-pink? And do you often carry heavy load or drive on hills? Driving with extra load, or in low gear puts greater stress on the transmission, and heat the fluid up too much so that the oil starts to degrade by the heat.

If you do any of those, keep an eye on your transmission fluid (check it when you are checking the engine oil). If the red-pink color is becoming brown and dark, you know it's time to change it.

Other wise, driving in normal condition, I would change my transmission fluid after 2 year anyway.
  • Options
    vladyvlady Member Posts: 44
    There is nothing wrong with your tranny. Tranny won't shift into 4th gear(OD) before it warms up.
    Just remember that engine reaches the temperature faster than tranny does. Read the manual before driving your car :-)))
  • Options
    vlady just reminded me of that fact.

Yes, the car will stay in 3rd longer if the weather is cold. This is discribed in the owner's manual. If that's what you are referring to, then yes, it's completely normal. :)
  • Options
    First, thanks for replying to my questions. They were all very useful.

Second, I was discussing this with my cousin tonight and I wondered if the Corolla has a full or partial steel frame? I looked on Toyota's website and they say it's a "unitized body", whatever that means. Anyway, if you are familiar with this, please decode it for me.

Wenyue: The study talks about ethanol gasoline; does this study also include regular grade (87 octane) fuel?
  • Options
    liufei: if you have only very short trips, you're wise to let the engine warm up for a couple of minutes before driving it. With fuel injection you don't have to worry about unburned fuel clogging up your engine the way carbureted engines used to. My wife has a similar situation, and she lets the car run for a couple of minutes too (plus, she tends to hammer the throttle as soon as she leaves the driveway -- so for her, warming up the car properly is an imperative!).

teo: No -- we have yet to see the design of the US-spec Corolla.

charlie: I, too, think the new home-market Corolla is nice looking, and the interior is gorgeous -- I just don't care for the tall profile. I hope the US version looks sleeker and sportier.

wenyue: Toyota forms partnerships with anyone willing to share technology and resources -- it's a wise thing to do economically, technically and politically, and it has served them well for 15 years. I don't think they're likely to stop now. Besides, who knows -- one day they may own GM anyway! Lexus now uses GM's OnStar system, by the way -- so the partnership pays off in a lot of different ways.

canc: most cars nowadays are unibodies -- that means there is no separate frame, the way there is on most trucks. It's lighter and cheaper, and it's a lot less likely to develop squeaks and rattles.
  • Options
    So does that mean that if a steel unibody car gets hit from either behind or the front that there will be a lot more damage? My friend, who has an Echo, rear-ended a Crown Vic two weeks ago. The Echo had $4000 in damages, whereas the Crown Vic left unblemished.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input. Y'all could be right so... Another question then. Friday, I had the battery changed at Sears. Saturday morning, I start to hear a click sound every 10 seconds, sounds like the turn signal. Brought it back to Sears, connections were just fine. They said to go back to Toyota. My question is I never heard this before the swap out of the battery. I do have an amp for the radio but that was there when the original battery was changed in late 1998 so that shouldn't be a factor. Any suggestions? Thanks one and all.
  • Options
    tom2002tom2002 Member Posts: 2
    there is a problem with my corolla 91 DX, auto, 105000 miles. Low oil pressure light is often on, especially when I press brakes. I am a college student and have no any ideal about it. Although mannul says it is normal, a mechanic thought it as one of engine problems. I am worrying about it. any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • Options
    Check the oil. :) See if there is enough left in there. When was the last time you changed it? Do you see dark smoke from your exhaust when you drive? You might have an oil leak somewhere (relatively cheap to fix), or one of the cylinder might be on it's last days (will cost much more).

If there is no dark smoke, then that's a good sign since it means you are not burning oil. But if you see smoke, then you are probably in for a engine job.
  • Options
    the situation you mention was a demonstration in basic physics, not an indictment of unibody construction. The mass of the Vic is more than double that of the Echo, and if the Vic was traveling faster than the Echo (in other words, did the Vic hit the Echo or the other way round?), there's no question it would destroy the Echo in short order.
  • Options
    http://www.theautochannel.com/articles/2001/01/08/012386.html

You can click on the picture to enlarge it. Got the now signature Lexus IS300 clear tail lights. Will be available with front or 4WD. Powered by clean ULEV rated 130 hp engine (probably 2003 Corolla's engine).

MOST EXCITING NEWS! There is a SPORT model, with the 180 hp Celica engine, sports tunes suspension and 17"(that's right) wheels. Those of you who envisioned a 180 hp Corolla, well, I guess someone was listening.

It's designed by CALTY, so Celica's looks will probably rub off on this. My friends and I are going to the Detroit Autoshow this weekend, so I will keep you guys posted of my experience in person.

I think this might be the PT-cruiser killer.
  • Options
    Did anyone catch Motorweek this weekend? (It airs on PBS.) They did a comparison test on the Civic EX, Focus ZTS, Neon R/T, Sentra SE and the Corolla S. All cars were equiped with 5 speeds. The 0-60 test results were:

Neon R/T 7.8 seconds

Civic EX, Focus ZTS & Sentra SE 8.3 - 8.4 seconds

Corolla S 9.2 seconds

The Corolla looked absolutely horrible in the slalom test compared to the other cars in the test. The Civic's handling was described as "capable but not race ready". They regarded the Sentra's handling as "a step up on the Civic's handling".

The Corolla's ride was described as "clunky". The Civic's ride was said to be much improved and the Sentra's ride was said to be at a mid-sized level.

The Corolla was also said to be the noisiest of the bunch.

Is Motorweek totally biased against Corolla's or are Corollas not keeping up with the pack? I could definitely see the Corolla not keeping up with the pack when it comes to handling, but I thought ride and acceleration were it's strong points.
  • Options
    I think the guys don't know how to drive the thing.

MotorTrend have test the Corolla, Civic, Sentra sedan. And the Corolla is second only to Sentra in speed, and is undoubtly faster than the Civic.
    MotorTrend's Civic EX sedan was clocked at 0-60 at 9.0 seconds (civic gained weight, with no increase in power, it's 0-60 droped by 0.1 seconds from the 8.9 seconds of the previous Civic). Corolla at 8.7 seconds(?). Sentra was the quickest at 8.5 seconds. Curiously, 99 Corolla (before the VVt-i engine) use to do 0-60 in 8.4 seconds. VVt-i increased the hp by 5, but didn't help the 0-60 number, but the gas milage did go up considerably.

Handling. Yes, I would agree that the Corolla will run the slowest at the slalom, since it's got the softest suspension set up. But the soft suspension will also give the most comfortable ride for everyday driving.

Noisiest. Now I know MotorWeek doesn't know what they are doing. It's another point where they totally went against every review there is so far. The Corolla is the quiest, and long been described as being "baby lexus" like. Toyota in general makes the quiestest cars on the market. And if Honda and Nissan (both has long known as making noisy cars) are now quieter than Toyota, the sun would surely rise from the west first.
  • Options
    Ok, it's common knowledge that Corolla is quiet. And I thought that cars can't get THAT much quieter. Well, that's until you drive a Lexus.

My wife's friend has a brand new Lexus IS300. I didn't get to drive it, but she did give us a ride for a lunch outing this weekend.

That thing was super quiet. I sat in the back seat. There we were, turning on the car. There is no sound! Not even sound of ignition. My wife joked (or not) that the car must be broken. Well, it's not. We pulled out of the parking spot, and got to where the parking lot meets the street. And this was a major street, with cars flying by at 45 mph (speed limit) just 3 feet in front of us. We sat there, stretching our ears to hear any sound but we can't. It's almost a creepy feeling seeing cars driving by in front of you, and you see them clearly, but you can't hear anything, not your car, not their car, not the wind, or any noise! It's almost like a waking dream.

Then she starts to apply the gas. There was no noise at first, and then you can faintly make out that the engine is indeed running. 30-40 mph, there was very littel road noise, and no wind noise what so ever.

When they say Lexus are quiet, they really really DO mean it. It's spooky just how quiet they get, it makes the Corolla sounds like a Honda. ;)
  • Options
    peterjpeterj Member Posts: 8
    The Toyota Matrix/Ponitac Vibe joint venture is a little more exciting than the Corolla/Prizm isn't it?

Wow...I usually stay on top of what's coming down the pike in new models, but these sport wagons have taken me totally by surprise...never heard or read anything about them until the last week or so. They look very, very promising.

My bias at this point would be towards the Pontiac Vibe...the past has shown that Prizm's hold up more or less as well as the bullet-proof Corolla. Since the Vibe/Matrix combo will be rolling out of the same plant, using Toyota mechanicals, I'd expect a high level of reliabilty from the Pontiac product...lower brand equity of Pontiac, GMAC financing and some of those nice, standard GM creature comforts (On Star, Satelite Radio) all should conspire to make the Pontiac a little better value overall.

Either way, the fan of well-packaged, fun-to-drive, compact cars has to be pretty damn happy these days. I know I am.
  • Options
    tom2002tom2002 Member Posts: 2
    Thank wenyue for answering my question. Actually I regularly check engine oil and have it changed. The oil level is normal, no leak and no burning oil smoke. The light on is serious especially after driving a while and pressing the brake. When I give the gas and the light will be off. Does anybody else have the similar situation?
  • Options
    Peterj:

Any idea whether the Pontia will get the 180 hp sports tune model for their vibe? The 180 hp VVTL-i engine technology and data is probably jealously guarded by Toyota, I have doubts whether Toyota will be willing to share it. Either way, yes, the do look very promising.

The Matrix/Vibe's picture really reminds me of smaller version of the Lexus RX300 (which also recently got the sigature clear tail lights from the IS300). I guess the reviewers know what they are talking about when they called the Corolla models "baby Lexus" in nature.

Tom2002:

No smoke. Good, that's a good sign. Oil level is normal and is clean, you say? So the oil is not being burned, hence no major engine problem. So you are most likely just in for a relatively cheap repair.

It sounds like you have a malfunctioning oil level detector. Maybe the dector is just failing to detecting the right level of oil. And when you rev the engine, oil splashes turning off the light.

If I was in your shoes, I would take the car to the dealership and get an engine diagonistic, it should pull up any warning code/signal that was triggered. Confirm the code and the mechanic (knowing it's not the oil level) can probably tell you the most likely cause, and go from there.

I'm no car mechanic, but that's just want I would do. Either way, listen to what the mechanic has to say, but get a second opinion if the explaination is too far fetched or cost unreasonable amount of money. Good luck.
  • Options
    No, the Echo hit the Crown Vic. The Crown Vic was going slower.
  • Options
    medardmedard Member Posts: 12
    I would pose the question to "click & clark" on the cartalk section of cars.com. Disclaimer - some people absolutely dislike these two guys though.
  • Options
    I missed it a bit; I only got to see the conclusion when the announcer said that the Corolla's style was "fading", which I think is a bit subjective. I'd say it's conservative, but to say that's it's fading is entirely based on personal opinion. I see no advantage regarding the new Civic's style over the Corolla's.
  • Options
    I think it's a big styling rip off of the Toyota celica.

http://www.vtec.net/pics/02/rsx/rsx-02.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/7/332/936/0001/www.edmunds.com/pictures/42326.jpg

Notice the new Integra is essential a 2001 Civic hood with a Celica grill. The side is 90% identical to the celica.

http://www.vtec.net/pics/02/rsx/rsx-04.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/7/332/936/0001/www.edmunds.com/pictures/42328.jpg

Steering wheel, aluminum peddels, instrument cluster, even the air vents and the little rectangular buttons on the dash left of the steering wheels didn't get away. Geez!
  • Options
    vladyvlady Member Posts: 44
    Well, go and get your car checked and do it ASAP. It could be a simple an electrical problem, could be a serious engine problems. Toyota says that this light may come up after a hard stop or light may flicker then the engine is idling.

wenyue , this is not an "oil level detector" warning lamp. This is a low oil pressure warning lamp. You use a dipstick to check a level.
  • Options
    I think he is talking about the warning light that looks like a oil bottle. (I hope that's what he is talking about)

That light's purpose is to come on when it dectect that the engine hasn't got enough oil left in it for proper lubrication. Correct me if I'm wrong. The engine should have 4-5 quarts of oil in it, but the if there is a leak, or the engine is burning the oil, there might only be 1-2 quarts left in the engine, and that's when the light should come on, telling you that there isn't enough oil to lubricate the engine parts.

Since he stated that he HAS checked the oil level (with the dip stick) and the oil level is normal. So the problem isn't because there is not enough engine oil, but the computer is dectecing or saying there isn't enough.

Like I said earlier, I recommend an engine diagnoistic, and see what's the problem.
  • Options
    ez2bemeez2beme Member Posts: 5
    Just took delivery of a 01 Corolla LE,black, with all the bells and whistles,love the car,it's a dandy!
  • Options
    My mechanic found the source of the ticking problem. Seems that the trip odometer got stuck and that what was making the sound every time it wanted to roll over. Crazy! Much releived now because at 46,700, the car is still a nice daily ride.
  • Options
    wow, that's a wierd one. Never heard of a stuck odometer before. ;) What year is your car? The post 98 Corolla uses a digital one.
  • Options
    My Corolla is a 96 DX with 46,700 and I was quite confused about that ticking sound. Feel like a real idiot now though. My mechanic was pretty cool about the whole thing. Guess with the cool weather we've been having in south florida lately, things happen. Thank g-d that's all it was.
  • Options
    terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Congrats on the delivery of your new LE. I also got a 2001 Black LE in July. I love it. I havn't driven it much since then because we're having crappy weather in PA and I have the option of driving my old Tercel.I only put 2300 miles on it so far. I got moon roof,alloy wheels,spoiler,C.D. player,security system,wheel locks,carpet and cargo mats and gold package. I did not get ABS brakes or side air bags. Paid about $700.00 over invoice and considerably lower then sticker price, but thats not bad considering they were very new back then and hard to find with all the options I wanted. I like the car very much ,the only complaint I would have is that it has softer brakes then I would really like . Tell me about yours.
  • Options
    app1eqfapp1eqf Member Posts: 9
    I am looking to buy 1998 Corolla EL, automatic with 52,000 mile on it. After all fees, taxes and repairs the price is $8,600. The car looks god. What do you think about the price?
  • Options
    Jump on it -- provided you've had it checked out by a qualified mechanic (it may have been wrecked). If it has a "salvage" title, steer clear -- it's been totaled and rebuilt.