Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    hello, do you think my 05coroll can do some beach driving? i am going for a vacation in N. Carolina and will probably do some beach driving off the coast of N. Carolina. do you think my corolla will be good for some road trips? even though i am planning to take my 05Chevy Malibu.
    thanks- Tiger10.
  • 18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    Davehudson: I can't answer your questions about the air bag light and how much it will cost to fix.... but being an ex-Pennsylvanian, I can address your questions regarding the state inspection.

Here is a link to PA's inspection requirements:

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/section_f.pdf

The air bag light being on should not cause your car to fail inspection; however, a garage or dealership will be glad to offer their opinions on how to fix it and how much they will charge you ;)

Inspections in Pennsylvania are a ripoff. Yes, arguments can be made for wanting to insure safer vehicles on the road, etc... If you will be living in an area that also requires emissions inspection, you will spend between $70 and $100 per year on State and Emissions Inspections.... AND.... that's if there is NOTHING wrong with your car! If they find "violations", the bill rises quickly!

What part of Pennsylvania are you moving to? I may be able to help you with some recommendations on Toyota dealers for service.... and ones to avoid!
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    The kelly blue book private-sale value on your car is about $6200, so it would be hard to justify putting $4000 into it. The comment made about lack of maintainence is not nice, but I could see how someone who did not know you might say that. Four broken rods usually results from abuse and neglect, but it really stinks in car that was maintained even minimally, no less well maintained. Did the timing belt break?? I 'm not sure about the Corrola engine in particular, but many engines would destroy themselves if the timing belt broke (some engines just stop running, but are ok. ) If the belt broke AND you had it replaced by a Toyota dealership on schedule you might have a case. My advice would be to petition Toyota and see what kind of deal you can strike. (say they cover parts) If you can get some satisfaction great! but otherwise get a new car.
  • sitharamsitharam Member Posts: 1
    My Toyota Corolla 2000 stopped with sound in the engine after 61 months and 60,150 miles :(
    I towed the vhecle to Toyota dealer, he said that Engine has breakdown :cry:

Has anybody come across any issues out of warranty and talked to 800-331-4331 ( Toyota line) and reimbursed from them ? Please advise.
  • mia6mia6 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter is going to buy a new Corolla in Austin, Texas. How does she get the best price possible?
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I got a really great price on my mother's 04 Corolla LE by faxing about 15 Toyota dealers in a 25 mile radius. We had about 5 to 6 dealers call back, and we just had them give us their lowest price. My mom bought a car that stickered at $17,250 and she paid $14,797. The dealer she bought from was really great. Try the fax attack. All you have to do is make up a simple fax page telling what you want, what options you want, be sure to include both the MSRP and the invoice price of the car, and the options. Give the total in both figures, and the color(s) you could live with. Good luck. Let us know how you made out. Oh don't just send the fax to the dealership, you probably have to get the name of the sales manager's name. Send the fax to him/her.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Gas hit $2.65 here today. The Corolla is looking better and better.
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    I have 45,000 miles on my 2003 manual Corrola and inspection of the front disc brakes shows the pads worn down to within about twice the thickness of the backplate. In the GM world that's about time to change the brakes so I'm thinking it's the same here too. Am I correct?
    Secondly, since I've only put pads on GM cars, I'm not sure if there are any gotchas with Toyotas. They look better made (gee what a surprise). Are there any things I should plan on doing or look out for? Can anyone suggest the best kind of pads to buy?
    Any help is appreciated.

Regards and safe driving,

Ken
  • rogdogrogdog Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1991 Toyota Corolla with a bad Fuel Filler Neck tube. Would like to replace it with something other than OEM, but with out any major modifications. Any IDEAS???
  • bhaskar1bhaskar1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    Since last 10 days or so, I hear a ticking sound from the right front side of my 03 corolla. It happens mostly when I first start the engine in the morning and disappears after around 10 minutes or so. It does not always happen but around 90 percent of the time.

Can any one please let me know whether there is anything serious about it. I had it checked by a dealer and he says the sound is because of corroded brake pads but I am skeptical. I have put on 29700 miles on it so far and have always gone for maintenance every 3500 miles. The dealer says I need to pay 189 dollars to get those replaced:-(

Please advise.

thanks
    Bhaskar
  • tiger4866tiger4866 Member Posts: 11
    I just wanted to let you know I did have the same problem. I wasn't sure if it was the steering or breaks. I FINALLY took it in and they discovered it was a break booster. I've had nothing but problems with this car. I had problems starting and they found out it was the fuel pump and it also failed emmisons. They claim it just wasn't ready to be tested yet. This is my 3rd Corolla and never had any problems until this one.

Good luck,
    Lisa
    My Corolla has less then 10,000 miles on it. First it failed emissions, they claimed it wasn't ready to be tested yet. I've had problems starting since about the first month or two. I also had some weird noise when turning. I finally took it in and they discovered it needed a new fuel pump, which was backordered, and a break booster. They had my 1 year old car for 3 weeks and 3 days. This is my third Corolla and I've never had any problems until this one.

Please let me know if anyone else has had these problems.
    Lisa
    I have the same car and the dealer said it can't be installed. They said the best way to go would be a security system which would cost $500-$600. I also asked at Best Buy and they said it needs some kind of special chip to install it. Hope this helped.
  • pamike1pamike1 Member Posts: 2
    Out of curiosity was price with taxes, tags and title included in the $14,797? If so, sounds like a good/great deal.
    No that price did not include taxes, title etc. All in all my mother ended up getting the car for around $17,000. She also got an extended waranty. She absolutely loves the car, and she has close to 20k miles on it already. I have driven it a few times, and it is a pretty good driving car. I personally drive a Buick Regal GSE with the supercharged V6. In another year or so when I am looking for a new car, the Corolla will be on the short list.
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    anyone else bothered by the low height of the center arm rest on the 05 corolla? the low height, plus being a different height than the door arm rest is really uncomfortable.
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone found a way to turn off the passenger seat air bag alarm? you can't put anything on the seat without the annoying alarm going off.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    About to get the JBL stereo and 8 speakers on the new 06 corolla. Is this a waste of money or should I get an after market stereo instead or will I be pleased with the JBL system ? Still have time to change....Thanks everyone :D
    Just picked it up. I hope this car doesn't have as many issues as the 2005. They should just put that car out of it's misery. :cry:
  • newcar13newcar13 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a brand new 2005 LE; had it for 14 days and it was sideswiped by a young driver while it was parked at the house. $7 - 8,000 CDN damage to the driver's side, including new wheels (car was pushed up over a 4" curb and front wheels no longer parallel to each other). Won't know if the frame was bent until it goes to the body shop in a week or so. I'm thinking if the frame isn't bent, no problem, but if it is bent, does this devalue the car? I'm considering insisting on a brand new car due to its very young age. Comments? :cry: :sick:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Corolla has no frame--it has a unibody design. If the unibody is bent, that's bad news--although there are machines designed to straighten unibodies.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    We had a 2003 LE involved in an accident (3 months old). It didn't look too bad to me but the tow truck guy took one look at it and said that the frame rails were bent and that it would be a write-off. He was right.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Lately insurance companies have been declaring cars that were in collisions as total losses. This is due in part to the expense they incur in replacing airbags and related parts. Is less expensive for them to pay the owner market value for the car and junk the car.

Also a car that was involved in such collision would lose value. You may want to discuss these issues with your insurer.

Let us know.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    In summary, dump it.

Get as much as you can from the talking lizard and run away.
  • newcar13newcar13 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, folks. Thanks for all your input. Mechanical has now been fixed and the car has gone over to the autobody shop. Apparently the rocker panel has to be replaced, but no frame damage. What's your take on that?
  • skanthskanth Member Posts: 5
    Hi folks,
    I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla CE, with 4 Kumho Touring tires of dimensions 185/65/R14 .

Can anyone please tell me what should be the tire pressure, I feel my mileage is going down. Its giving me around 22 miles per gallon.

Thanks in advance.
    SK
  • corolla2002corolla2002 Member Posts: 1
    Someone in a sports car pulled into a parking spot and hit my parked 2002 Corolla just past the bumper...right on that lower panel where the mud guard is located. It put a big dent there although the paint seems to be intact and no hard creases. What I did notice was something scraping on one of those speed bumps as I drove over it shortly after getting hit. I'm guessing the dent forced that panel to be lower and this is not giving the clearance like before. I knocked on this panel and it sounds hollow. Anyone know what is behind this panel (just past the rear bumper and toward the mud guard area)?
  • tombatestombates Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I need a bit of help... I'm trying to install new front and rear speakers in my '98 corolla. I am having trouble getting the old wants out. if anyone knows how to remove them I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Tom
    This past weekend, I logged a lot of seat time in my mother's 04 Corolla LE. I must say I was impressed. I have driven her car many times before, but not 450 miles worth in two days. I found the power pretty good even with three people in the car, very comfortable seats, and it handles well. I only have a couple of negatives: the ride can get a little stiff, but not too bad, and the steering at low speeds needs to be a little looser. And why did Toyota see fit not to put a trunk release on the key fob? These are real minor complaints though, overall a very nice car. We also got great gas mileage only burning about a full tank's worth of gas. This car is now at the top of my list.
  • jonny0jonny0 Member Posts: 3
    Whenever the car sits for 3 or 4 days the battery is weak or dead, I did install a voltage guage and wired it straight up to the battery, but didn't think it would draw enough from the battery to cause a problem,I'm going to rewire it to the "ACC" position, this has been happening for about six months now, today the charging light in the dash came on for the first time, the volt guage reads a little under 12 volts while running, usually reads 14.4 while running, alt belt is fine, alternator has a NAPA sticker on it but doesn't look to be a recent replacement, could the alternator be going ? any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • jonny0jonny0 Member Posts: 3
    You might try calling one your local auto stereo shops, mention what vehicle you own and somebody there should be able to help out.
    good luck.
  • mt700a1mt700a1 Member Posts: 53
    My 94 Corolla makes humming/buzzin noise when I press the clutch. Once the clutch engages the noise stops. Clutch was replaced a couple of years ago and I noticed the noise only a couple of days ago. Also, what kind of fluid does the manual transmission take? Car runs and drives just fine right now, but I am concerned about the noise when I press the clutch. Please advise.
    Thanks!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It sounds like a bad release bearing. Manual trannys use gear oil, check your owner's manual for correct type and weight. Was the release bearing replaced when the clutch job was done? How many miles when the clutch was replaced?
    Did anyone out there have problems with their 2005 Corolla. I traded mine in for a 2006 but I'm just curious if I was the only one that had all the problems. That was Corolla number 3 for me and was the only one that had problems. The 2006 seems good for now.
    I read lots of forums on Corollas, and I'd say yours was VERY unusual. A few slow starting issues that were corrected (of course, under warranty).
  • mt700a1mt700a1 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for your insight. It was indeed release bearing although it was only 30,000 miles old. The origilal part lasted over 140,000 miles, but the replacement that just failed carried a limited warranty which had expired. Thanks again!
    Wow, for the release bearing to fail this quickly, it was either was not installed correctly, or it was not a quality replacement part!
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Is a "release bearing" the same as a throw-out bearing?

If so, I can offer some input since I am familiar with the latter. It's short life could be due to improper adjustment of the pedal height by the installer - such that there was always pressure on it.

OR... was the car driven by someone with different driving habits since the bearing was replaced? A driver that rests the weight of his left shoe or foot on the clutch pedal can fry a throw-out bearing pretty fast.
    Yes, release and throw-out are the same. I agree with your diagnosis. I was assuming that the same person drove the car that got 140,000 out of the first bearing, so I did not list driver error as a possible cause of the problem, but it can be. I have been a passenger in cars driven by people who claim to know how to drive a stick, but they are actually seriously abusing the clutch. But, this one sounds like installer error.
    Mine also had the slow start issue. Sat at the dealer for 3 weeks. It came back and was ok for about a week then started again. Please keep in mind this car had less then !0,000 miles on it and I had a break booster replaced, fuel pump and it also failed emmisons. Got a good deal on my 2006 but I'm still rather upset because getting that good deal caused me to have to sign into another 5 year lease and I lost a few hundred for various things. I guess I just got a lemon. :cry:
  • tonygrovetonygrove Member Posts: 13
    My Corolla LE of 1998 has about 65k miles on it. Do I have to replace the timing-belt? The bottom line, is it still a must to replace the timing-belt on Corolla's of the past 10 years?

I called Toyota's 1-800 number. The customer service rep read off the maintenance manual and said since the manual only says "inspect" the timing belt, it's not necessary to "replace" it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The '98 is the first year of the new all-aluminum design, and that engine uses a timing chain, not a belt, as I recall. Any one else know for sure?
    Yes, '98 and newer have a chain.
  • tommie2tommie2 Member Posts: 2
    hiya's. i just joined the group and i wanted to say that i and my wife and even b4 i was married, was always buying used toyota's to drive. ever since the first one i bought, i was very impressed with them. finally in my lifetime, i got a bank loan in 2004 to buy a brand new toyota corolla sport, indigo pearl blue. i have to say ... i am extremely happy with it too. it is an awesome car. i try to wash it at least once a week . inside and outside. i have the oil changed every 3000 miles, although the dealer says this car can go up to 5000 miles between oil changes. i am trying to keep this car in the original factory condition for as long as i own this car, which i plan on owning it for my lifetime.i did a test to see what kind of gas mileage i was getting, although i know what it said on the window sticker which was very impressive considering the price of gasoline these days. i got 35 miles to the gallon while driving in the city and i got 41 miles to the gallon on the highway. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!. toyota should be very proud of themselves for this accomplishment. i constantly get compliments on the corolla sport as i keep in shiny inside and out as much as possible. and it's my desire that it look as nice as it does right now , in 5 years or so when it's paid off and actually even longer than that. so, if anyone reads this post and is looking to purchase a new car, you can't go wrong with a toyota corolla sport...

tommie2
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    .....what year model Toyota went back to a timing chain in the Corolla?
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    :)
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    1998 was the first year of the new all-aluminum 1.8 with the timing chain.
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    I have an 2003 (made in 02) Corolla and have had no trouble like you describe, but a friend with a 05 Matrix has been pulling his hair out with Toyota over starting problems when the car is warm almost from the first day he drove it off the lot. He has had new fuel pumps installed and other items that were supposed to fix it but it still (hard starting occurs). From what he tells me Toyota is aware of this issue called "Hot Soak", happening when the engine is warm but not hot. I'm not sure about the emmission failure??? I think if you look you will find lots of information on Matrix problems and I suspect you have the same with you Corrola.

Regards,
    Ken