Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you can order manuals at the dealer parts department or on-line for all Toyotas. Expect to pay around $40.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

buy from an outside source - my friend has a really good Alpine in his which was only around $300 including the install. The Toyota CD player available at the time was no great shakes and will cost more than that. The dealer will only install the stock Toyota stereo, not an aftermarket system.

The only advantage of buying the Toyota system and having it installed at the dealer is a 1-year warranty on parts and labor.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I just recently bought a 2006 Corolla. Can someone tell me where i can get a comprehensive repair manual for my car, something like the Khilton Manual (i think) ? Thanks.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    You probably mean Chilton. I like Haynes manuals better. Any big parts outlet, like Advanced Auto, should carry one or the other.
    I've bought my first Toyota recetly (06 Corolla) and just noticed yesterday that the front driver and passenger doors never actually lock from the inside. When you lock the doors, you can still open them by pulling on the latch, even while the car is in motion. This is not true for the back two doors, however. I've never owned a car that has this problem, since once you lock a door it stays locked, unless you release or pull on the unlock button. Is this a typical Toyota issue ?
    Hmmm. I've never owned a car that works other than the way you describe your 06 to work - and that includes foriegn and domestic cars and trucks since the mid 1970's. I'd say its not an "issue" at all.
    older Japanese cars did not do this, so it may have taken you by surprise, but in fact, it mimics something the domestics have been doing for a very long time. As such, it is by design, not a flaw in your Toyota. It is so that if you want to exit the vehicle quickly, you don't have to tug on the lock first, but can just reach for the handle.

Hmmm. I've never owned a car that works other than the way you describe your 06 to work - and that includes foriegn and domestic cars and trucks since the mid 1970's.

I don't about that. My previous car was a 2002 Maxima, and i know for a fact you can't open the locked doors by just pulling on the latch in the front two seats. You have to unlock the door first, and then pull the latch ! To me pulling the latch to open makes the lock superfluous, whats the point of it, if it doesn't lock. Also, i was more concerned about kids who play around with the latch and door opens suddenly, while the car is in motion.
    "Also, i was more concerned about kids who play around with the latch and door opens suddenly, while the car is in motion."

You should keep kids in the back seat to avoid this - the back doors also have the child locks.

I assure you that none of the cars/trucks I have owned ever did that. My '05 Corolla, like your '06, does not do it. I have never owned a Nissan, but I think my sister had an early 70's Ford that might have been that way.

As to your question about the point of door locks, I've always assumed they were to a) keep people out and b) keep kids in the back seat, as with child-locks, etc.

Interestingly, six generations of car designers didn't pick up on your observation that this was a superfluous arrangement.
  • safety51safety51 Member Posts: 9
    I have posted a similar message on the VW forum. Here is my dilemma. I am preparing to begin a daily commute of 200 miles round trip. Obviously fuel mileage is a huge concern but also am interested in dependability and longevity. I am looking at the Corolla and the VW jetta tdi. Mileage appears to be in the VW column, dependability in Toyota column. MSRP, Toyota = $17500, VW = $24,000. Now for the longevity issue, how many miles will a Corolla conceivably carry me with proper maintenance and 95% highway miles? Please share your experiences.
    If you are serious about "proper maintenance", either car should go 200k+. I would get the Corolla (better ride and more room, I think) and use Mobil 1 changed at 10,000.

One caution - as Consumer Reports correctly observed, the Corolla's steering wheel is a little too far away and is noticeable on long drives, like maybe 200 miles.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    No doubt the Toyota will be much more reliable. How many miles per gallon better does the VW get? Because the selling price difference of $6,500 is about 3,000 gallons of gas at $2.15/gallon. There is no way the VW will be able to make up that difference in gasoline savings, unless it got like 20 mpg better. I'm roughly estimating here, but I am sure accurate calculations would prove that the higher selling price would be very difficult to overcome with gasoline savings. Yes, if gas costs really skyrocket, then it would narrow this, but still, very unlikely that the higher selling price would overcome the gas savings. Not to mention the VW's repair costs would be higher. If you like that fun, responsive (whatever) feel of VW, fine, but if your looking for getting from point A to B cheaply and reliably, Toyota all the way.
  • safety51safety51 Member Posts: 9
    If you figure fuel mileage only, the VW will never make up the difference in initial cost. Jetta is estimated at 42 mpg hwy. Many of the Jetta owners have shared with me that considering the type of driving that I will be doing, 45 - 50 mpg would not be too far fetched. My reasoning is, if the Corolla will give me trouble free service for 4 years (200,000 mi)and the diesel will give me the same service for 5 years (250,000 mi.)then it becomes a more even playing field when you figure cost per mile. I do not however want to have my means of transportation sitting in a service dept., hence my interest in the Corolla.
    Also consider increased dental bills. A quarter of a million miles in a Jetta is sure to fracture a couple of molars.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Personally I would buy the Corolla over the VW any day. I do not own either of these cars, but my mother owns an '04 Corolla. I have driven it a couple of times, and was very impressed with the gas mileage, and the overall feel of the car. My sister swears by VW though. All in all in terms of reliabilty and longeveity the Toyota would win out.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Go with the Civic, a much better and nicer car than the Corolla. After owning 2 Corolla's and 2 Camry's with their mushy and non linear brake feel, no more Toyota's for this family ever again. For the price I paid for my Sentra, just the better brakes justified the purchase. I will, however, be buying the Civic next time...no doubt about it. And the new generation is really awesome, just blows the current Corolla out of the water. And with Toyotas bland models these past many years, I expect no competition from the next generation Corolla!

The Sandman ;)
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
  • paulcudlippaulcudlip Member Posts: 33
    It is a no brainer, go with the Corolla. VW products (especially those built in Mexico) have had numerous and troublesome electrical problems. The older a VW gets, the more problems. Corollas will give you 200K easily and they are very reliable over the long haul.
  • richie_richrichie_rich Member Posts: 1
    Hi last night on my way to work i dropped down the windows on my 1997 Corolla when i tried to roll em back up then didnt budge the locks didnt work either, i have no idea if it blew a fuse or i actually have to take it in to a shop or not; any feedback will be much appreciated
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I hope my 95 Corolla gets 300K or more. Its got 189 on it now.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My girlfriend's 2004 Corolla LE does it. I drove it yesterday. The locks caught me off guard, luckily I was fiddling with it in the parking lot, not at 70 MPH. I drive Hondas, and NONE of their locks, from the Accord to the S2000 behave this way, and I'm glad.
  • barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    I just picked up a 2006 Corolla CE this week. Preferences for the power locks are programmable, at least 4 different configurations. The procedures are in the Owner's Manual. I assume this is probably the case on previous year models as well. If you don't have the manual, the local dealer could probably do it for you pretty quickly.
  • run347run347 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a used 2000 Corolla from a private party. It has 130k miles on it. The owners are selling it for $2500 because for the last 10,000 miles they have been putting in a ton of oil all the time. They also think that the engine will need to be replaced fairly soon. Are they crazy? Or is this just a simple oil leak that can be fixed easily? How much would it cost? Also how many more miles can I expect to get from this Corolla?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    I just traded in my 1999 Corolla for a 2006 Corolla. This by far has to be the best desision i ever made. I love this car. Not only is it beautiful to look at, but it is a pleasure to drive. Its a little noisy, But im still breaking it in. I see a LOT of Hondas on the road. I could easily think to my self, I should of bought a Honda, But this is not the case. Honda is everywhere. There is even a Honda Magazine. Toyota has nothing to prove. They are just hanging low, Knowing that they are the King of reliability. Thanks Toyota... I will never turn back
    I agree with you. I have a '99 LE 5 speed manual with 83,000 miles, ultra reliable, and very easy to preform the routine maintenance. How was your '99? Any issues? How many miles?
  • jpgavin1jpgavin1 Member Posts: 3
    The 4 cylinder Toyota's are hard to beat for reliability.
    Does anyone know if I can fit 185/75 14 tires on my 02 Corolla?
    Stock is 175 or 185/65
    I got a deal on these tires.
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    I loved my 99 Corolla. i just thought it was time to update it. I had no issues with it. It had 47000 Miles on it and I got $4000 for it. My new Corolla is just dying to go above 55 MPH, But i was told to drive it like my Grandma would for the first 1000 Miles. My question is, Is Honda as good as all these Auto Magazines praise it to Be?? Just curious.. Thanks
    The Auto Magazines are into performance, sporty cars. Because Honda designs their cars more for performance, etc. than comfort, etc., that is why the auto magazines are into them, and that is why you read here how Honda is the best, etc. The people that post here are more the auto magazine crowd that likes the sportiness, and they tend to be very vocal.

However, Toyota is still by far the sales leader, and the most successful company, so that means to me that they are building what most people want, which is less towards the performance side.

Oops, strayed from the topic. Congrats on the new Corolla. I know you will like it even more than the '99.
  • peregrineperegrine Member Posts: 7
    Actually, the 4 configurations mentioned in the manual are related to the interaction of the locks with the position of the automatic transmission or your key in the ignition switch, not this particular issue. I still haven't found a way to prevent the doors from being opened from the inside (even when locked) other than using the child locks which only work for the rear doors.

Anyone have any other ideas?
  • barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    To my knowledge, locked doors are to keep people out of the car, not to keep them in. The child locks do the "keep them in" function, but I've never heard of front locks having that feature.

Of course, I could be wrong. I often am.

Hopefully someone else will have a more definitive answer. Good luck in your quest....

Barnee :confuse:
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    You are correct. Other than child proof locks on the back doors, the feature does not exist. The only feature that is similar is the power window lock. When activated, only the driver can operate the power windows. To my knowledge, no vehicle has it.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Seems like a convenient feature to me. I would not normally pull on a door latch at speed just to see if it would open. I suppose one could argue that you should not be able to pull the hood latch either (or, for that matter, adjust the radio, operate a cell phone, etc. all of which are dangerous to the oocupants as well as others). The kids should be in the back where the doors are designed with both features.

Of course, I'm sure in this nanny society, someone will successfully sue Toyota for this feature someday.
    Just for the heck of it... one can't open the hood from inside anyway. Pull the latch, yes. But not open to hood.

Now, this may seem simplistic, but there is a reason it works the way it does. In the old days, there were no inside hood releases - it was outside only. Everbody had access to everybody else's engine. For security, an inside release was used - if the doors are locked the hood is locked. Now, if one changes from car to car, even a SMART person can easily confuse the hood latch handle with some car's parking brake release handle, Soooo... for safety, one has to stand in front of the vehicle WHILE IT IS STOPPED to actually unlatch and open the hood. The design difference being that a person SMART enough to drive (excluding toddlers of course) would NOT pull a DOOR release handle while the car is moving - or would they?
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    I think the emergency catch would keep the hood from flying open, but it would definitely move an inch or two from wind. I doubt it would be good for it, and could cause damage. The secondary catch is there just so the hood does not fly up in front of the driver while the car is moving.

I concur on the smart people. Maybe we should be the only ones driving these incredibly unsafe and complicated machines :)
  • trgbassguytrgbassguy Member Posts: 21
    So what kind of gas mileage are the 06 carollas getting?
  • j_bm123j_bm123 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking into purchasing a 2000 Corolla automatic. Does anyone now how reliable this car is and if there are any known issues I should be looking out for. Thank You. :shades:
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    I had a 2000 Corolla and ran it til it hit 215,000 miles on it before I sold it. I would've kept the car especially with gas prices nowwa days. The only reason I got rid of it was because I got carjacked in it when it had 164,000 miles on it. The only thing I did to mine was routine maintenance and the timing chain tensioner had to be resealed at 165,000 but other than that it was it. It passed smog when I sold it with flying colors and I live in Ca where the smog laws here are tight.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    It took you another 51,000 miles to decide you didn't like driving it after you got carjacked? Smile
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    I'm stubborn and a tight wod. The car was only 3 years old at the time. Plus I wanted to wait til after I moved closer to my job to get another car. Who wants a 4 year old car with 215,000 miles already on it? I had a friend of mine offer me $3,500 for it and took it. I already had it's replacement at the time (a '04 Camry) anyways. Plus it still looked like it just rolled off the show room floor. Got rid of the Camry and decided to go back to a pick up, now I have a '06 Tacoma which I love. I go through vehicles the same way I go through women...lol
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    #3748 of 3754 Mileage by trgbassguy Apr 25, 2006 (5:41 pm)

So what kind of gas mileage are the 06 carollas getting?

I would especially like to know this, given (1) current trends and (2) this morning, on Good Morning America, a financial guru finally said the unthinkable: namely that, in the next two or three years, as a result of global demand, the US consumer will be paying what the European and Asian consumer is paying (i.e. about $6 a gallon).
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    my last 4 tankfulls have been almost all highway miles (80-90%) at 70 mph:

44.3 mpg (this tankful was mostly state highway- so mostly 60 mph)
    41.6 mpg (70 mph--10% of miles stop & go city)
    43.8 mpg (70 mph--10% of miles stop & go city)
    41.2 mpg (70 mph--20% city)

my other tanks have been about 50% hwy-50% city and have ranged from 34 mpg-39 mpg. i drive an 06 ce 5 speed and for the most part drive with the goal of getting the best mileage possible, but i will gladly downshif a couple gears if i need the acceleration.

i dont think any (non hybrid/diesel) car on the market will beat a corolla in gas mileage, especially on the highway. a used echo would do better, though.
    40.5 on an '05 S automatic. All highway.
    Funny, but the Corolla MPG numbers I keep hearing from people real-world beat the new Yaris numbers.

And while the Yaris sheet-metal is nice, the interior is much more "entry level" with a splash of "weird" thrown in for the teeny-boppers and enormous-damn-rims crowd.

I just hope the next generation of Corolla due in 08 keeps the current traits: that's when I'll be due for a new set of wheels.
    Yup, I was pretty revved up about getting a stripped Yaris 2 door for under $11k like they advertised so I could run its doors off. Equip a Yaris and even the Camry starts looking like a better deal.
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    "Funny, but the Corolla MPG numbers I keep hearing from people real-world beat the new Yaris numbers. "

well, the manual corolla is rated 32/41 and the yaris is 34/40, so corolla is rated higher (barely) anyway. me thinks the yaris highway numbers are harder to achieve at real highway speeds as the engine is revving a bit high, where the corolla not as much. i chose a corolla over yaris for that very reason. i corresponded with boatloads of corolla owners who were achieving better than epa numbers, while the few yaris owner i do know are not doing nearly as well, especially at highway speed.
  • kgl_mkgl_m Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks, I'm trying to decide between a 96 Avalon and a 96 Corolla of similar vintage.

I know these are very different cars, but they are both supposed to be fairly reliable and good value for money.

Some background - me and my girlfriend are looking for a car together, we are both 24 and this isn't our first car. I own a Mazda Miata but am going to sell it once we get a replacement sedan. My choice.

Anyway, we found a really nice 96 Avalon with 90k miles. It has leather, sunroof, CD, six seats. Its a very nice car. The buyer was asking $5900, got it down to $5700 but he still has it and is waiting for a higher offer till Tuesday because he said he has to keep it till his replacement car comes in on Tuesday (we saw it on Friday and he said he had 5 people already show interest in it and 2 had come to look at it, he had more people lined up for the weekend).

From what I've seen, a 96 or similar Corolla is going to be $3500-4000 for similar vintage.

Now, I'm going to assume that both cars are relatively well-depreciated and won't lose a lot more of their value if we sell after 2-3 years. Is that assumption correct? If it is, then the cost of ownership comes down to the fact that the avalon has more electronics and will drink more gas - potentially an issue with rising gas prices, which i think will stabilize around $3 this year, but my guess is as good as anyone else's.

So what I'm trying to decide is whether it is worth paying more now for the Avalon because it is a more premium car and rides nicer and quieter on the highway. I actually want to get rid of my convertible because it is kind of noisy on the highway.

Advise me! Advice on how to handle the seller of this Avalon would also be nice.

I'm not looking at Camrys because they cost almost as much as Avalons and the fuel economy is almost the same.
    Somewhere on this thread, there is a financial analyst who made her money doing futures predictions. There is a link to her interview on Good Morning America where she predicts, based on GLOBAL consumption rather than just solely NATIONAL consumption, the future floor of gas prices will be $3.00 and, given global consumption increasing much more rapidly than predicted, the USA hitting the Europe-Asia price per gallon range in the next two years (currently about $6 a gallon).

That said, it all seems to be Magic-Eightball stuff.

That also said, having work done on a 4-banger costs less than a 6.
  • atearzretreatatearzretreat Member Posts: 2
    my friend recently purchased cheapo coilovers from ebay and wants me to replace his stock parts with these... they are a no name... i'm a body man and not a mechanic and know how to dissassmble the suspension but i'm not sure on how to put the coilovers in... i'm not looking for a full step by step diagram to do this job for him (wouldnt hurt) but just lookin for some tips to get it done quicker or just make it sit better... ooo and also if anyone knows how to change the camber to make it handle a lil better you'd be helpin me out more than you know... all help greatly appreciated... thanks all and i will try to return forum favors