Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• rsonersone Member Posts: 5
    Hi Ken: I have a 2005 corolla s and I am also having problems with the "hot soak" when the car is warm and has a long cranking time before she fires up, I think the best thing we all can do is take the vehicles into the dealers so the problem can be documented in case there is a problem after warranty such as replacing a burnt out starter motor. On a similar note has anyone experienced puffs of smoke upon start up? My corolla only has 39,000kms. and ever since the first oil change I have been running mobil 1 full synthetic oil. Has anyone else had this problem or know the cause?, before I storm into the dealer and demand a new engine.

Cheers, Roger.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Hi Roger,

I also have a 2005 Corolla S that has had nothing but Mobil 1 since its 5000 mile service. It doesn't smoke, consume oil between changes or show unusual things on the dipstick. So far I'm happy, but I am interested in your smoke issue.

I bought the car new with 20,000 miles of "free" service from the dealer. I ran the factory oil until 5,000 then started with M1 at 5K, 10K, 15K and recently at 20K. Now I plan to change the M1 every 10K only in conjunction with a Toyota service visit. I she doesn't poop out or start acting odd, I'll be good.
  • atearzretreatatearzretreat Member Posts: 2
    do you need to weld or cut anything to install coilovers on an 03 corolla?
    Thanks for the response. I guess I will be booking that dealer appointment to see what they have to say.
  • frogger2frogger2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm thinking about buying a new 2006 corolla LE. Since I'll mostly be driving the car in New England, I was wondering how recent model corollas typically handle in the snow. Do I need to buy different tires than the ones that come with the car?

Also, I've heard some complaints about highway driving in the corolla. Do you find it bumpy or noisy or uncomfortable in any way?

Thanks in advance!
    I'm in the DC area. No snow problems with the factory tires - your call if you want to run a winter tire in the winter.

My '05 hauls butt on the highway. No problems or discomfort. The engine revvs a little high at 75+ but if that bothers you, get a BMW 7-Series. I hear they are quieter.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Question about the 2006 Corolla....it's been awhile since I've gone to Toyota.com to configure a Corolla, but did so earlier today. I was surprised to see that on the Corolla's standard and optional equipment page (not the one you see after you insert your zip, but the one that applies to the country as a whole before regional limitations are taken into account), that there was no mention of a sunroof or leather seating, yet these have been regular options since the redesign in 2003 (and in the case of sunroofs, much earlier than 2003). Can you really not get either of these from the factory any more? I'm guessing the price of both will go up if the only way to get them is to have the dealership do them after the purchase (if you don't go with an unrelated aftermarket company)...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Both are available, at least in the Western region. Our dealers in the Portland OR area always have a few so equipped, though the price then approaches that of a new Camry, so what's the point?

I consider both to be useless, but to each his own...and NEVER add a sunroof from an aftermarket supplier - a recipe for lots of future problems. Leather is easily installed by just about any dealer - they all have connections to the shops who can do this, and allow for the side air bags, if the car has them.
    Both are available, at least in the Western region. Our dealers in the Portland OR area always have a few so equipped, though the price then approaches that of a new Camry, so what's the point?

A Corolla with sunroof and leather should only cost around $16-17K at the most; whereas a Camry with those two options will have you looking at $24K+. Sure you could get a stripped Camry CE for about $19K; but you are not getting an equivalently equipped car. Also, if you are looking at the Corolla for fuel economy, the difference in price gets even greater....especially with the 2007 models, which judging by the reviews and posts in the Camry forums, are tougher to get the EPA estimates with (especially in the city).

Not everyone views a Camry as better than a Corolla. For some, it is simply bigger and more expensive.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201

Leather is easily installed by just about any dealer - they all have connections to the shops who can do this, and allow for the side air bags, if the car has them.

Actually, Bartlett Corp provides the leather kits directly to Toyota for the interiors: they are the Toyota-Approved supplier.

One perk I have seen is having the Bartlett interior installed via the dealer (or more likely a dealer subcontractor) which eliminates any issue with airbag & warranty . . . as this is the product that goes into a "factory" car.

Hope that helps you out . . . .
  • ed6544ed6544 Member Posts: 6
    hi folks.

was wondering if someone could shed some light to this question - does the 99 corolla ce's engine have timing belt or chain?

also, what have you guys had done during your 60k mile
    service?

thanks.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Timing chain. At 60k, replace serpentine belt, air filter, pcv valve, clean throttle body, drain and fill coolant and ATF (if automatic tranny).

Basically, follow the maintenance guide in the owner's manual - it will tell you what to do.
  • ed6544ed6544 Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the reply.
    you're right, those things were done.
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    here is the latest article on jd powers survey:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/07/Autos/jdpower_iqs/

well, guess what the #1 compact car was?--yours truly.
    granted, these surveys dont measure long term reliability, but my guess is if your car has a lot of problems early on, that doesn't bode well for its long term reliability.

hyundai at #3 overall--definitely a force to be reckoned with.

there is a chart in the june 8 wall street journal of all the name plates.
  • toyotafreektoyotafreek Member Posts: 16
    I bought my daughter a Corolla S in 2002 when she was a sophomore in high school. She will be a senior at Penn State this fall. She used it for over 4 years, put 55,000 miles on it, and traded it this morning. We got $9,500 for it. I think we paid about $16,500. Even more importantly, other than routine maintenance and new brakes, we haven't spent 10 cents on it.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    My experience is similar, but substitute 1995, 8 years, 118,000km, $6000 and $16000 for your numbers. Of course I bought another.
    Yes, Toyota makes the most reliable car on the planet. They almost always get top ratings in the JD Powers Consumer Reports, etc. ratings, and also mechanics that work on all makes say that Toyota is the most reliable. They may not be the most flashy, or "coolest" or quickest, but they always get you there!!
  • lanceqlanceq Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know when the 2007 Corolla will come out or if there are any packaging changes such more options that may be standard.

Also any idea if the current rebate of $500 may be increased to $1000 for the 2006 models?
    Thanks
    lance
  • campanalecampanale Member Posts: 7
    lance,
    I too have been asking this question to several dealers & to Toyota online. I CANNOT get an answer as to the release date of the 07's, nor can I get any information gegarding New Models, 2 Door, etc....
    I think its gonna be sometime in September, as I am anxious to see Whats New....
    mvc
    My wife damaged the front of our 05 S. The lower grill and left front spoiler need to be replaced. The insurance company wrote her a check for the estimate in excess of the deductible. I am thinking I might try to find the parts and, with a couple of hours and a few beers, replace them myself.

What do you folks think about that? Can you offer any leads on where I might find parts like that?
    Hey Beernut: I have purchased a few items from e-bay, tail lights, head lights, grill and cold air intake. I would suggest to stay away from the $20.00 grills they don't fit properly. If you need a right front stock head light or 2 tail lights I have those for sale. Cheers, Roger.
    Thanks, Roger. I'll give ebay a try.

As for the headlights and taillights, not yet, but stay tuned... it IS her car! :sick:
  • barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    I bought a 2006 Corolla CE Special Edition, loaded (all power, moonroof, alloys, cruise), at the end of March. I'd like to share a few impressions....

Overall, of course, the Corolla is an excellent car for the money. Fit and finish is great for an economy car, the interior is really nice for its class. The engine is very refined and fuel economy is outstanding.

But I'm having a really hard time adjusting to this car. I knew when I bought it that it was not a "driver's car", and that was OK, but I didn't realize exactly how much that was true.

The engine is smooth and well designed, but it definitely lacks not only in horsepower, but especially in low end torque. I assume that Toyota will address this in the next generation, to compete with a slew of new models in this class that have raised the bar. Similarly, I'm sure they will add things like ABS, side curtain air bags, and maybe active headrests as standard to meet the direct competition (i.e. the new Civic).

My main issue however is the seating position. I'm average sized - 5'8" and 180 lbs - and I just CANNOT get comfortable in this car. I have tried every possible combination and permutation of seat adjustment. If the seat is set back to where the legs are comfortable, the steering wheel is too far away. It has tilt, but not telescopic...in my opinion it needs telescopic steering BIG time. And the seat height adjustment is awful....if you raise it, it tilts the back of the seat forward (very uncomfortable) rather than raising the entire seat. And the seat cushion is a couple inches too short (even for me) to properly support the thighs.

I've owned many, many vehicles in my life...hatchbacks, sedans, sports cars, pickup trucks, SUVs...and I've never had this kind of trouble getting comfortable. I've had the car for several months, and not a day goes by that I don't fiddle with the seat yet again....

Arrrrghhhhhhhh. Otherwise I really like this vehicle. Is this something other people have noticed as well?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks...

Barnee :confuse:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I feel your pain. I have exactly this same problem with the Corolla. A shame, too, because otherwise it's a nice little car.

Actually I have driven other cars that have this same kind of problem, but it seems worse to me in the Corolla than most any other car.

You might try getting a cushion that supports your thighs, so you can move the seat closer to the wheel. If that doesn't help, the good news is that Corollas are very popular and have good resale value. :)
  • acap0710acap0710 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Corolla S. This morning, I started the car and the Fuel gauge when straigt below the E indicator. I dont have a fuel leak and the gas indicator light did not come on to indicate that my tank was empty. I drove to the gas station and filled the tank and the gauge remained below the E level. The car is running perfectly fine. It just seems the gauge isn't working. Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas as to what this problem is?
    Thanks!
    Many people have complained about the seating position. Some like it, some really hate it. But lack of horsepower?? It WAS the leader in this until very recently, so I would not say that it is a problem!

BTW, Corolla is also the leader in lowest Total cost of ownership!
    I bought a 2006 Corolla CE Special Edition, loaded (all power, moonroof, alloys, cruise)

A "CE Special Edition"......Isn't this an oxymoron?

A CE is the base stripped model that doesn't offer the options you list above. And I've never heard of a Special Edition Corolla.
    The CE Special Edition is sold in the Canadian market, you can configure it on toyota.ca. It's essentially the CE with the "C" package (PW, PL, etc.), plus they throw in alloys and the power moonroof on top of that and give it an "SE" badge. I had the dealer add the cruise for $222.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If that artist's conception is anything close to the real thing, it is certainly a, uhm, interesting design. Sort of like Jetta meets Olds 98 meets Chrysler 300. Distinctive, though.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I am sure you can find them on eBay too.
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    I have no problem getting by on the Parkway. This baby can go 70 MPH no problem and still stay below 3000 RPMs. However getting on the parkway seems a little sluggish. All in all, the Corolla is a fine car.
  • workingstiffworkingstiff Member Posts: 13
    I test drove the 06 Corolla and also the Camry. I am still unsure which i will buy but the less-comfortable Corolla seat would be one of two reasons for me to prefer the Camry( the other is the way the rear headrests create a blind spot that completely hides a truck - but i am very short.)

If I go back for another final drive I am going to take my
    Obus Forme seatback and cushion. Maybe that would help you?

BY the way,did Toyota budge at all on the price? I cannot get them to go down a penny.I am also in canada, and a hopeless negotiator,but wonder if it is still Toyota policy.
    BY the way,did Toyota budge at all on the price? I cannot get them to go down a penny.I am also in canada, and a hopeless negotiator,but wonder if it is still Toyota policy.

It's not Toyota policy. If you are a hopeless negotiater try Automobile Protection Association. They won't get you the very best deal possible but they will get you a deal that is better than you will achieve on your own.
    I got mine for $800 over cost. There is only about $1200 of profit in the Corolla CE, so I saved about $400. $400 to $500 is probably a reasonable discount on a Corolla.

What I did: I got a breakdown of the dealer invoice (cost) from Car Cost Canada (www.carcostcanada.com). It's a great service. Included with the invoice was a quick offer from one of the local dealers to sell for $800 over cost. I took it, because it was reasonable, and I didn't want to spend hours haggling to get it down to $500 or $600 over cost. As I said, there was only $1200 of "wiggle room" in the car I bought, and Corollas are popular so they don't give them away with ridiculous incentives like GM products.

If you really hate negotiating, you could try going through a service called Dealfinder. It is run by a guy here in Ottawa called Bob Prest. He gets great deals on Toyotas, usually for just a few hundred dollars over cost. He charges a $150 fee though, but it's well worth it if you hate the "dealing" part. He has a website at www.dealfinder.ca I haven't used him myself (I'm used to the dealer experience and I don't get intimidated by the process), but I have heard very good things, and his reputation and service are solid.

So there's 2 options for you. Good luck!

Barnee
  • workingstiffworkingstiff Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, both of you. I am in BC, so not sure how it will work but will definitely check out all three.I understand some dealers here have been offering to pay the GST in order to woo customers waiting for the July 1st 1% drop.

I think I am the kind of customer with sucker written across my forehead.

I am leaning towards the Camry and that slightly awkward seat and blind spot in the Corolla are the reason.

One more question - where do you get the Maple Leaf in your posts?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Re: Maple Leaf - go into your Preferences (on the left side of the page) and you'll find a "Display Flag" setting - you can choose Canada there to get that flag beside your name. You may have to log out and back in again for it to be effective.

:)
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    While we're on the subject of driver seat position, i hope they add lumbar suport to the next cololla.
    Yep. You're right, lumbar support would be a great improvement too.

Anybody know how the seats and driving position in the Matrix compare to the Corolla? Is it better, or pretty much the same?

thx

Barnee
  • pirate8pirate8 Member Posts: 9
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    My 95 hit it today.
    Party Time!! Heck - i'm inviting the neighbors over tonight!
  • mace242mace242 Member Posts: 12
    I just bought an '06 Corolla LE with power everything except seats with 6,000 miles on it for $14,700...is that reasonable or did I get hosed? It seemed like used '05's were selling for at least that with reasonable miles on them, at least up here in the northeast anyway. Any thoughts?
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    If it has leather and auto, That sounds good to me, but you can easily look up the actual value on a bunch of websites - after all, it is simple economics, supply and demand.

However, if you like the build quality, resell value, and you are going to keep the car for a few years, a few hundred dollars does not matter - Enjoy the ride.
  • minders82minders82 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 200 Corolla and I love it. The only money I've had to spend on it is routine maintainance (winshield wiper blades, air filers, oil change, etc). My first car was a '99 Corolla and it was totalled in an accident, but I walked away from if compeltely safe. This was one of my main reasons for buying another Corolla. Go for it! :)
  • minders82minders82 Member Posts: 2
    I've been driving my 2000 Corolla for almost 5 years and have never had problems with the windshield or tires (with the exception of a flat b/c of a nail.) Sorry about all the trouble you've had. It really is a great car!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    They are ultra-reliable, but are you aware that Corolla outsells both Accord and Civic now, due to fleet sales? The Corolla is catching up to the Camry as number 1 seller, mainly due to rock-bottom prices (a good thing!) and great fuel economy, all while offering enough room for the average person. Great cars for sure.

Here is a YTD sales figure chart on Corolla that I lifted from another Edmunds forum (Midsize Sedan Comparo)...they're really climbing!

YTD sales

Camry +0.9%
    Corolla +13.0%
    Accord +1.1%
  • msmithh33msmithh33 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all! Just got my first Corolla, an '06 CE. For those of you who have had your cars a while, should I bother spending an extra $2000 for the extended warranty? Thanks! : )
  • cargirl13cargirl13 Member Posts: 22
    I got side swiped this morning driving to work.The other car did not stop. Some of the paint has been scratched off and there is a dent in the pannel in between the door and the wheel.

Since i cannot prove it was a hit and run..I am trying to get a quote from various sources as to how much it will cost before going to the insurance..

Has anyone had a similar problem and could they advice how much it will cost?
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The first thing that you need to do is report it to the local police. A police report is necessary in this case.
    $2000 is way too much for an extended warranty, if you really must buy one shop around and get it for about half of that (genuine Toyota, not 3rd party). Personally, I think an extended warranty on a Corolla is a waste of money. If you want a bit of security place that $2000 in an interest bearing account and use it only if you have a need for an out of warranty repair (i.e. not regular maintenance or replacement of brakes/tires etc.). My guess is that 5 or 6 years from now you'll still have the money.