Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• vladyvlady Member Posts: 44
    liufei the same question bothers me too. Why Toyota doesn't sell Avensis here in US?
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    wenyue:
    Yeah, i think its look more classy as well. It matching up real nice with the Honda Civic City.
    Don't think they will get the 2002 Corolla though, since this model just released last year in Asia.

vlady:
    What is an Avensis? Is that the Corolla that i posted? or another one of Toyota's model, non-existing here in the USA?
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Avensis is the next step up in the Toyota latter. It's like the Nissan Altima/Mazda 626. I think it falls in somewhere between the Corolla and the Camry.

It's available in Europe, but not in the U.S.
  • emendelemendel Member Posts: 1
    Do any of you know w/ any certainty when the redesigned Corolla will come to the U.S.? I've seen several references here to it as the "2003", although at least one reference to it arriving "next year," too. (Would that be a redesigned 2002 model, arriving late this calendar year, or a 2003 arriving in late 2002?)
    We own a 1998 Corolla (bought new) and have been quite satisfied. We need to replace our dying 1986 Accord, and soon'd be best. If the Toyota Corp. plan was to give the U.S. market the redesigned Corolla in the 2003 model year cycle, can they really wait out the criticism critics have been piling onto the 2001 (vs. its competitors' newer redesigns)? We are less interested in style, car fashion, cornering performance, or roominess than the current Corolla's other virtues--and compared to the interests of most reviewers. But photos here and on other Edmunds Town Hall Corolla sites that picture the already-out (begun when?) Japanese Corolla and the different one in SE Asia, as well as their reported larger size, make 'em seem attractive--'tho' they'd probably cost more, right?
    Answers, please, about the new Corolla design's date of arrival to U.S.! Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just a friendly reminder - if you do not own the picture itself, you cannot post an "img src" tag to display it on this site. You can post a link to any pictures legitimately hosted on other websites as long as that does not violate your agreement with that particular website.

Keep in mind the Terms of Use copyright issues, please.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    At this point, it's 99% sure that it's coming fall of next year as a 2003 model.

Japan and European corolla are 2 years ahead of us in term of design cycle.

The redesigned corolla will indeed be bigger (over 5 inches longer and 3 inches taller), and better. I guess keeping in pace with the redesigned Camry coming this year.

Cost is probably not be much more. U.S corolla will be built in the U.S and Canada, so import fees won't really apply.

The new Japanese Corolla, comes loaded, is selling at about $17,000 MSRP loaded (it even comes with a navigation system). The U.S's higher labor cost, probably means the Corolla will probably sell at $17K fully loaded, but without the navigation system. But I think it's a good deal for a bigger, more powerful, and more upscale car.

If there is no radical changes to the U.S version than the JDM and European version, when it arrives here in 2002, it will probably make most competitors obsolete.

Some of the higher trimed Corolla in Japan right now has double wishbone suspension in the rear. So it should be sportier (but I dont' know if it will make it to U.S). Engine is probably going to be 130-136 hp (sharing engine with Toyota Matrix, which will have 130 hp basline engine). With 5 inches longer and 3 inches taller (probably means a more upright seating position), it will probably rival Mazda Protege in term of room. And with upscale looks (which so far looks much classier any compacts on the market right now), and Toyota quality and reliability, it will probably rock the market.
  • lfanlfan Member Posts: 61
    Gray color is appears the cleanest with road spray. White is best with dried salt spray. Beige/brown with dirt spray. . . . you get the idea.

SE usually stands for Special Edition like the Accord SE's.

The "S" stands for sport in the Corolla's case. I think it should be called "SL" for Sporty Look since the Corolla S has no engine/tire/suspension performance enhancement. It just adds cosmetic sport looks. I can say this since I own a Corolla S ;)
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    Sorry, friend -- we'll have to agree to disagree on this one -- I don't care for that Corolla at all. Looks way too sedate for me.
    pat:
    My apology, I'm totally unaware of that fact.
    It won't happen again.
    here's the link to the picture:
    http://www.geocities.com/torpocso/pics/se-g.jpg .
    http://www.geocities.com/torpocso/pics/xl-i.jpg

denniswade:
    No problem, but what do you think about the current corolla being sold in Japan and Europe?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Appreciate it!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    Those links don't appear to work.

Incidentally, the latest issue of Auto World Weekly (featuring trucks) has a spy shot of the next Corolla--I'm pretty sure they listed it as a 2003 model. I'm not too sure if it was really a "spy" shot though; the picture looked pretty much the same as the JDM Corolla we've all seen. The license plates certainly aren't local!
    try: http://www.geocities.com/torpocso/crlx.html

If those are true, then probably its a done deal that the next generation Corolla
    here in the US will be the one similar to those currently being released
    in Japan and Europe?
    Just what we need -- another tall-profile grocery getter for down-sized baby boomers. Sheesh!!!
  • crieckecriecke Member Posts: 37
    If my info is correct this car is avail only with the 3 speed auto correct? (Manual also)

If this is so how are sales going? I have CE 2000 with 4 speed auto,don't think I
    would buy one now with with a 3 speed. Charlie Johns Island, SC
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    I recently test drove both LE and CE (2001). You are right, CE has 3-speed auto. The only disavantage I felt with the 3-speed is that it's noisier when cruising at highway speed. Of course, the gas mileage is lower too. Since there's only $1k to set the 2 models apart. I would strongly recommend LE over CE. You get more equipment (PW, PL, center console, 4-speed auto, better seat fabric, wheel cover, etc), about 10% better gas mileage, quiter rise, better performance, and better resale value.
    Does change starting with 2001. Whats being currently offered as 2001 CE (with 3spd auto) is comparable to the VE in 2000 model and before.
    Essentially, Toyota revamp the trimline for Corolla. The VE is gone, the CE becomes the new bottom trimline, the LE remains as the upper trimline (with less standard features) and the S is added somewhere in between the CE and LE, geared more toward the "sporty" side.

I agree you should get the LE. The 4spd auto is a definite advantage over the 3spd, unless you do all the driving inside the city.
  • echoheadechohead Member Posts: 2
    Hi,I have a 1997 Corolla, And I love it!But just the other night I got into my car and turned on the lights and the left part of the instrument panel was dimmed like a light bulb was blown out. Can anybody tell me if I will have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed or if there is a light bulb replacement I can do it myself. Thanks in advance.
  • armagostarmagost Member Posts: 10
    Test drove the Corolla LE on Friday evening. Just around the block, pretty much. It's a nifty econo compact, reminiscent of the beloved original Volkswagen beetle in certain respects. The engine has got pep. The steering wheel is comfortable and responsive. But the driver's seat seems a little stiff. I'm 6' 2" tall. I'm not certain that I could drive the Corolla with good posture while wearing a baseball cap. I'd probably feel cramped and hunched up. Soon after Friday's test drive, my back hurt a little. I'll do the "baseball cap test" on Monday evening, and I'll take the car for a spin on the freeway at that time. Maybe I'll also test drive the S model, because the driver's seat is somewhat differently designed. If I were three inches shorter, I'd be seriously considering buying a Corolla right now.

Guess what. The Chevy Prizm doesn't have an adjustable steering column as standard equipment. Goodbye, $1500 rebate.
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    I wonder if you could help me with this. My father has a 97 corolla with a 3 speed auto transmission. According to the owners manual there is a seperate pool of differential fluid that has to be changed every few years. (On the four speed model the transmission and differential share the same pool of fluid, which is the transmission oil)

We just have the car service by the dealer, and they have changed the transmission fluid as part of the 60000 miles service package.

We forgot to ask whether they have changed the differential fluid. Can we assume they have already done that ? Is changing the differential fluid considered part of the transmission fluid job ?
    or ask the dealer -- Toyota dealers all have computerized maintenance records.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The Chevy Prizm (twin to Toyota Corolla) does have standard adjustable steering column in LSI trim, which is comparable to the LE trim of the Corolla. Don't give up on that $1500 rebate yet!

I have two Prizms and would not want to drive one if I were 6'2". Too cramped. The driving position is better on the pre 98's.
  • dmendeldmendel Member Posts: 16
    The front breaks on my 99 Corolla LE (23,000 miles) have been squealing for about 6 months now. I took them in to a mechanic about 3 months ago to have them checked and he said there was 80% of the pads left and not to worry, the noise was from the pad material and was normal. Well it's getting louder -- I can hear it over the radio -- and this is annoying me. OK the breaks are functional, but why must they be so damn noisy? Do others have this problem? Is this supposed to happen? Could there be something defective here that is covered under warranty?
    they have yet to come up with a material for brake pads that's as efficient and quiet. The semi-metallic linings are responsible for the squeaking (sometimes it's a little grit too, but the mechanic should've caught that), but you can opt for a softer pad that won't wear as well but will be quieter. Ask your dealer about it, and if he won't take care of it, go to an independant. Just be prepared to replace your pads more often.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    We had that problem with our 2000 Corolla, and the brakes just needed to be cleaned, which is part of the service interval. This usually happens if you car is subjected to a lot of city driving.
  • juaninjuanin Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys,
    I just bought a 1999 Corolla CE with added C/C and value package (A/C,power stuff,defogger) for a mere $10.250, that the trade-in value. The car had 11600 miles and is in showroom cond. I couldn't believe it. The car is for my wife, cause I got a 1998 sentra GXE. Driving both cars and comparing, I like the Corolla better. Feels like a bigger car and has a smoother ride that sentra.
  • storiesstories Member Posts: 3
    I (unfortunately) am a victim of purchasing a Corolla CE 2001 (basically the stripped version) and after adding $1500+ of options on it (final price $14,500) is still $200 more expensive than a LE with no options! That pisses the crap out of me because the LE comes with intermittent wipers, wheel covers, side moldings, A/C, cassette, tilt wheel, tachometer, and other features standard, most of which are optional on the CE and not even available on CE! In my opinion, Toyota should just offer the car in one trim if they insist on doing this weird trim lining. Cause the better loaded stripped LE is cheaper than a similarly equipped CE (with even less)... it ticks me off... anyway, no real way to sweat my heat.

I'm also victim to getting the crappy 3-Speed Automatic... really noisy at cruising speeds (60+) which is kinda annoying. However, I think the suspension is really nice and supple, resulting in a very smooth ride. Although the suspension isn't as supple as the one in my mom's 2000 Buick LeSabre (that suspension is SOOOOO soft! But it has noticable body roll). One thing I have noticed however, is that when accelerating from a complete stop, going up a slight incline, the car seems to rattle, or bump a lot like it's bouncing or something. This seems to happen early in the mornings (6:50am-ish), anyone else experience this weird thing? Oh, and does anyone know how much the addition of a center arm rest will cost from Toyota? I want to get one of those stupid covers (or console) for the middle cause it's getting annoying having nothing there.
    is to combine features into packages, thereby keeping the costs down. This translates into savings for YOU. You must always be sure to compare features and prices before you buy.

The 3-speed auto is an abomination, IMO -- I wish they'd drop it.
  • vipinguptavipingupta Member Posts: 21
    Hi Guys,

I have 1999 Corolla LE and often find headlights brightness insufficient, specially when the road is wet. I would like to know how to improve it either by replacing lamps or installing extra accessory lights.

Can anyone please share his/her experience?
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    other than the insufficient headlights - how do you like the Corolla LE? I am thinking about buying one (soon) and would appreciate your comments (good and bad) thanks
  • riverusriverus Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Corolla LE with 21k mileage on it. It's making squealing noise from the front of the car when I make tight right turns. Left turns are fine. This problem started about a year ago and it's getting worse. I took the car to a Toyota dealership 6 months ago (last October). This is what they found:

Bearing disc brake (break?), 1-side (left-side?) bearing and hub scored

They replaced the following parts:

Bearing, BCA, 38, 72, K
    Hub S/A, FR axle
    Oil seal kit, FR AXL

The squealing noise was gone for about a month, then it's coming back.

Did you guys have or hear about this problem before? How did you fix it?

The bumper-to-bumper warranty is going to expire in about a month, but I have 2 more years left on the powertrain warranty. Does the problem fall under the powertrain warranty?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your help!
  • vipinguptavipingupta Member Posts: 21
    Hi Britton, Overall I am very satisfied with my 99 Corolla LE. A friend of mine recently bought 2001 LE and he too has no complaints. I would not buy CE model. If I am low on cash I would rather buy VE otherwise LE. As I am not a tall person, I do not have problem of cramped leg space, which is one thing you should consider.
    I have a 2000 LE that I love, except for the upholstery -- which I think is old-maiden-aunt ugly. Hopefully the new model will have something more inspired and colorful.

You can get the S, by the way, with a sporier interior, very cool steering wheel and it comes with what used to be known as the Touring Package. It has the 4-speed auto, like the LE.
  • snflwrselenasnflwrselena Member Posts: 4
    I have had my Corolla for a year and every once in a while when I turn there is a pinging sound. I don't have to be making a full turn, sometimes it happens when I turn the wheel slightly to change lanes etc.. It sounds like it is coming from around or under the steering wheel. Has anyone else had this issue?
    riverus:
    Does it makes squealing or squeeking sound? If it squeeking sound, its probably the suspension. There's a TSB for it in the NHTSA website (www.nhtsa.gov) and your dealer should fix it regardless of the warranty.
    Here's an excerpt:
    Service Bulletin Number: ST00100
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 100
    Date of Bulletin: 0001
    NHTSA Item Number: SB610070
    Make: TOYOTA
    Model: COROLLA
    Year: 1999
    Component: SUSPENSION
    Summary: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A SQUEAKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT SUSPENSION.

snwflwrselena:
    Its probably something is tapping on the steering rack. There's also a TSB for the problem:
    Service Bulletin Number: ST00598
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 304
    Date of Bulletin: 9811
    NHTSA Item Number: SB603026
    Make: TOYOTA
    Model: COROLLA
    Year: 1999
    Component: STEERING:COLUMN
    Summary: CONCERNS OF STEERING COLUMN NOISE.

My 99 Corolla exhibits both of these problem.
    I did brought the car to the dealer twice while unaware of the TSB at that times. They seemed able to fix it, but the problem return after a few days. I think the pinging sound is gone now, but the squeaking still present. It happen intermittently only when I go over a speed bump a slow speed.
    Thats the only problems I have so far with it. So far it has somewhat meet what I expected from Toyota.
    After reading many posts in this forum and other forums as well, I've went to my Toyota dealership yesterday and bought a 2001 Corolla LE.... yeah!!! I've ordered it with the LE package (ABS and full-size spare), and I should be getting it in about 2 weeks.

I test drove the Solara (which is in a different car size category, I know), the Civic, and the Sentra. I found the Civic to have a very nice exterior design, but poor interior design (the materials used were not up to par with the Corolla's), and extremely harsh ride. From what I read in other forums here, some people even complained that Honda had softened the Civic's ride; I still don't understand that one.

The Sentra provided a lot of value for the money. It was a comfortable ride, and the interior was well laid out. Since I'm 6'4", however, the bolsters in the seats came right up to my upper back and there was no lumbar support, making my back cave into the seat. I had test driven the car for 15 minutes and already had back pain. After having test driven all of these cars, I went for the Corolla. Sure, some people say its styling is outdated, but I would disagree with that statement. I find that everything is very well thought-out. Why mess with a good thing?

I still like the Civic and the Sentra, and consider them great cars, but I prefer the Corolla for my tastes.

Thanks for all your comments, and I'll be sticking along here more now to see what other Corolla owners think about their cars.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Got a 2001 LE back in July. I love it. Its Black sandpearl w/all the bells and whistles except sideairbags and ABS brakes. Just got the windows tinted this past week, it looks great. Keep us informed of how you like yours.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    yesterday - will get it tomorrow - firstly, thanks to everyone who offered their advice/opinion - I decided to go with the Toyota instead of the Civic - liked the interior better, had a better warranty and I preferred the 125 HP engine - yes, the backseat is cramped - but I can live with that - can't wait to get it! And I'll never said anything against the Honda, afterall, I drove mine for 14 1/2 years!
    really does make a major difference in the way the car looks -- it completes the roofline by making the rear window appear heftier. I still love the taillight treatment, and the touring package on the 'S' still looks great.

My only fear is that the new one may end up looking similar to the home market version, which is pretty tall (although with a gorgeous new interior that looks like it belongs in a Lexus). I really don't care much for the trend towards taller and taller vehicles. Great for trucks, but not for sport sedans.
  • deadbeatledeadbeatle Member Posts: 7
    When ordering a Corolla can I specify manufacturing location and day of manufacture? I would like a Corolla manufactured in Ontario on a Wednesday (any Wednesday will due). I would like to avoid a Monday or Friday produced car,if at all possible
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    We just received our special order 2001 Corolla S yesterday. It took about 5 weeks from the time we place the order.

We did a dealer search and could not find a White Corolla S with a Moonroof and Side Airbags. If you know what you want, be persistent. Every Dealer tried to discourage a factory order. Many said that they would have the moonroof installed after market and that it would still have the Toyota Warranty!

I have taken the public tour at the California factory and they really do have a First Class Operation.
    when you're buying a Toyota. Don't worry -- be happy!
    As DeadBeatle suggests, should we really still be reluctant when buying a car made on a Monday or Friday? Toyota has the strictest build standards in the country (or even the world), and therefore shouldn't "slack on the job" on the Monday or a Friday when building a car; should this still be a concern for today's car buyer?
    Sorry about the second post, I clicked on the "Post my message" a bit too quickly...

I haven't ordered side airbags on my Corolla; oddly enough, this option isn't offered in Canada. Other unavailable options in Canada include the moonroof and the integrated map lights in the rearview mirror. Do you guys have the outside temperature gauge on the LE? The 2001 Corollas have the alloy wheels, which I think the American Corollas had last year. I really don't understand why the Corolla has these differences, especially since some of those American Corollas are probably built right here in Ontario.
  • bshubabshuba Member Posts: 6
    The check engine light on my '98 Corolla LE comes on intermitantly. The car runs fine before and after the light comes on. Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know how to diagnose the problem without having to pay the dealer to check it out?
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    Our 2001 Corolla S has the outside temperature indicator. We do not have the the integrated map lights because it is not available with the moonroof.
    My 2001 LE purchased back in July has the map light and also the outside temp.gauge.I also have the moonroof,alloys,spoiler,c.d. player,R.S.security system,and gold package.My car was indeed built in Canada.At the time of purchase,moonroofs were very hard to find because they were not making many Corollas loaded with all the options because of it being a lower priced car.Dealer told me most people wanting a loaded car would most likely step up to the Camry.
    could be that your gas cap isn't securing properly and the atmospheric leak sensor is picking that up (they make them more sensitive after the State of California Air Resources Board tried to take them to court for not being sensitive enough), or that you have a small vacuum leak. Shouldn't cost you anything if you take it to your dealer -- it didn't for me.
    I guess your assuming that bshuba's "98" is still under the warranty. Dealers in my area would not replace a gas cap that was not sealing or replace a bad sensor or repair a fuel leak for no charge unless it was still under the warranty.
    You can always take it to a dealer for analysis, then if they try to whack you on price, take it to an independant or fix it yourself.
  • riverusriverus Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Liufei for your reply.

The noise I have is a squealing noise - it normally lasts 2 or 3 seconds.

You said "there's a TSB for it in the NHTSA website (www.nhtsa.gov) and your dealer should fix it regardless of the warranty." Yes, I did find the record on NHTSA website, but how to tell
    the "dealer should fix it regardless of the warranty?" Thanks a lot!