Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• terceltom1terceltom1 Posts: 150
    Corollas do not come in Gold color unless it is a new color for 2002 that I do not know about. They can very easily do 75-80 on the highway but I really do not recommend it for obvious reasons.
    Anyone have any experiences with frontend masks for there cars? I took my new Corolla for a two hour trip trip the other day and upon return I noticed many dead bugs on the nice shiny black paint in the front. I thought a genuine Toyota Corolla frontend mask might prevent this if used on a trip. Are they O.K. for the paint and clearcoat?
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    I've recently read here people that had 300,000 miles on their previous Corollas and they traded them in. I'm interested to know the cars' condition when it was traded in; I'm sure the paint was probably dull, and there was rust everywhere, but it would interesting to see how the engine kept up, as well as interior/exterior condition. My cousin has a GM car with 180,000 miles and it's unfortunately falling apart.

It would be interesting to know your stories. Thanks!
    I haven't heard anything about Corolla front masks, but people I know have put those on their cars and removed it because the dust, sand and everything else you can find on the road gets somehow between the paint and the mask, and when the mask naturally moves around a bit, it becomes abrasive on the paint, pretty much like sandpaper. If you would still like to use it, make sure to protect that area of the car, and wash the mask often to clean it of any dust and sand.
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    If I were you I'd put about 3 coats of a good quality paste wax on your front bumper (wait about a week between coats) - I have 2 coats on mine and will soon add a third - then you can just hose off the bumper without having to wash the whole car - don't know anyone who has the front end mask -
  • compcomp Posts: 43
    I am trying to purchase for my mom a 2001 LE with ABS and Side airbags. The dealer just imformed me that there are none in the US. Becasuse, the 2002 are rolling out. Does anyone know what the changes are to the 2002. Is this a total restyle or is it just a holdover from 2001. Thanks in advance for any details.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    My Toyota Echo is Black Sand Pearl and black is one of the hardest colors to keep looking clean. I have to wonder where the poster lives who says his Black Sand Pearl Corolla looks dirty two days later. With my Echo, it is more like two minutes later. Not really complaining because it is one sharp car.
    Just wondering what everyone thought about the looks of the next generation Corolla. It looks like to me to be a cross between an Echo (styling) and an Avalon (trim details).

Really makes me wonder what the next Camry is going to look like.
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    2002 model (coming late summer) will still be a hold over from the 2001. The total redesign is for the 2003 model for next summer. So it makes you difference whether to buy a 2001 or 2002 (except a little difference in price and resale value).

I'm almost hesitant to recommend buying a 2002 model, since the improvements slated for the redesigned 2003 model seems so overwhelmingly good (larger, more modern, more luxurious, more powerful...).
    yes, the 2003 corolla draws it's overall shape from the experience with Echo/Prius.

There have been quite a few spy shots of the 2002 Camry. It appears to draw much of it's inspiration from the Solara, for a sharper and edgy appearance.
  • gloriadgloriad Posts: 18
    We took our 1998 Corolla with 57K miles for a rear brake job and also wanted them to correct the squeak coming from the suspension when going over ruts or bumps. We told them about the TSB #ST00100 that someone had mentioned on this board. They would not perform the work regarding this service bulletin for free. They said it would be $320 to correct. They would need to replace the tie rod caps. It is not considered a safety issue but rather just an annoying squeak. Did anyone else have this work done for free after the 36K mile warranty was up? Thanks
  • vladyvlady Posts: 44
    I was having my 30k service done. I mentioned about squeaking suspension. Believe it or not there are no squeaks coming out so far. I don't know that they did, probably just lube suspension.
    I fell your frustration. I was going to replaced a belt tensioner(according to TSB). They would happy to help me if I pay ~200$ for the tensioner.
    Wow! You did a rear brakes @57k. I had to replaced mine @30k(was a big surprise for me)

terceltom1
    I have a front mask. This is a good protection to the paint against rocks and road debrries. Easy installations and removing. You need to wash a car and wax the area. I had my mask on for 2 years and I was surprise the paint still looks good. Only one thing -buy Toyota's mask, it fits tight and won't be moving around.
    I'm sorry I failed to mention that my car is garage kept and that of course would explain why my car stays a little cleaner then yours does. But, just sitting in the garage the black color does collect dust. I live in PA.
    Well, how about shipping that garage my way? I live in an apartment complex with no covered parking. : (

I am serious about the car seeming to get dirty about two minutes after I wash it.

Where I wash the car is about two minutes from where I worked and it seemed that by the time I pulled into the parking lot of work, I needed to go back and wash the car.

If I knew then what I know now about colors, I would still do it again. Like I said, it is a sharp car.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    Personally, I think the 2003 Corolla looks pretty much similar to the Focus. Hopefully without all the problems that comes with its earlier release though. :)
    Wonder how long before there's some kind of confirmation on what the 2003 Corolla will look like? Maybe early next year?
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    I've the suspension problem, and the dealer fixed it by applying some kind of lube, or something. They tried to stick a $75 charges for it, but recalled that since the mechanic said its no big deal.
    IMO, if they release a TSB, they should absorb the cost themselves, its Toyota fault to begin with to cause the problem.
  • venubabu2venubabu2 Posts: 5
    hi
    i have 1992 toyota corolla,it just reached 120000 miles,can some body tell the regular maintenances-needed to be done at 120k.
    thanks
    venubabu2
  • enetheneth Posts: 285
    Should be basically a repeat of the 60,000 mile service (probably timing belt, fluids, filters and spark plugs).
  • jwoljwol Posts: 1
    My '99 Prizm also developed a front suspension squeak at around 30,000. I ignored it until it became persistent just before the warranty expired. It was something to do with the tie rods, and fortunately there was no charge for the expensive work. Advice: listen for any front end squeaking, and don't delay informing the service manager, even if it is intermittent.
  • taisontaison Posts: 71
    We just bought a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE Automatic with
    Sunroof,
    Extra Value Package #2,
    Allow Wheels,
    Floor mats, and
    Cruise Control for
    $15268.

That is INCLUDING Tax, documentation fees, and licensing.

Do you think we got a good deal?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    How would we know, without knowing the rate for tax and license in your area? Did you get a rebate?

All pricing questions are kind of useless unless you filter out the question of tax and lic, since they are different in each jurisdiction.

Having said that, in Calif, where taxes add about 9% or more to the transaction, an LE for that price would be a very good deal, even allowing for the fact that there is a $1000 rebate on the table now in Northern CA on the LE.
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    no, that's not a good deal - THAT'S A GREAT DEAL!
  • taisontaison Posts: 71
    Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. Tax was 8% here in Los Angeles. We got it on the last day of the $1000 factory cash back. But we later found out they had extended the cash back. It was ok though since we got the car we wanted.

No negotiating at all. The dealer e-mailed me the price, we went in, picked the car, paid the cash and got the car. It was one of the easiest car buying experiences I've ever had.
  • crom1crom1 Posts: 1
    I just bought 2001 toyota corolla on march. Having driven this car for three month, I realized this car have less engine power (especially 0-60 miles) than corolla 1999 model (I tried it before).
    However, Toyota claims that the 2001 model have higher power(125HP) than the 1999&2000 model (120 HP).
    Does any one know about the reason? Thanks!
  • rsparrowrsparrow Posts: 60
    Here in Edmonton, Alberta, the local dealers have had some 2002 Corollas for the past week or two. For any fellow Canadians out there, there is finally an option for a factory moonroof. It's part of a "Package B" that includes ABS on the LE model. My old '86 Corolla had one but otherwise it's been years since Toyota Canada has offered them in the Corolla. But YIKES, the MSRP of said car is now just over Cdn$ 24,000, which I *think* is considerably more than a comparably equipped Civic or Protege.... I didn't see any other changes compared to the 2001s.... Just FYI!
    A moonroof? That's good to know. Thanks for the info. About the price of the Corolla, it is a bit more expensive than the Civic or the Protegé. I can't speak for the Protegé, but the Civic feels (and probably is) cheaper than the Corolla; just compare the two engines.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    FYI. You can price out the Protege at:

www.mazda.ca

A Protege with moonroof, air, automatic (ES with the GT package) is CDN$21,600. I'm surprised the Corolla LE with package B is that expensive. $2400, plus financing charges and taxes on that amount, is a lot of money and the Protege has a quite good reputation for reliability.
    The answer is probably the gearing ratio. The 99 Corolla use to have 120 hp, but could do 0-60 in 8.4 seconds (official number, we won't even go into the kind of number racing magazines could get out of them). But it get's 31/38 mpg with the 5-spd. The 2001 model, dispite the hp increase, the fuel economy has gone up to 32/41 mpg. However, the official 0-60 number has dropped to 8.9 seconds (still quite fast compared to the competitors, but not as much fun as the 99).

That should tell you that the gearing ratio probably has been changed. Toyota must have thought that for the compact car market, where people value the cost of gasoline more than fun, would prefer it this way.

The installation of the VVT-i engine does increase power, but 5 hp isn't that big of a deal when you are talking about 120 to start with, so you probably wouldn't have felt it even if the gearing stayed the same. The best explaination would therefore lay with the gearing ratio.
  • gserep1gserep1 Posts: 92
    Hello,
    I tried the 2001 Corolla with VVT-i and came away wih the same impression...more hp/less useable on-road power. I travel for the government and used to rent the 99 corollas, and they were a blast to drive, with good mileage. The suspension was a bit lacking, but the engine had great power. I was hoping that the new ones were as good, but alas..they weren't. Thanks, but I will pass.

GSEREP1