Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jerrymoojerrymoo Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

The door locking mechanism in the driver's door on my '98 Corolla isn't working when using either the push-button in the car or the remote. I can manually push/pull the lock or use my key.

Brought it to the dealer, and they took the door apart to check it out (charging me $80, of course), and determined that there is a short in the motor that controls the locking mechanism. Their solution to fix? Replace the entire door latch assembly, which would cost me $475.

What bothers me is that they don't seem able/willing to fix the part that is broke, instead preferring to replace an entire mechanism that is otherwise just fine.

Anybody else run into anything like this?

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Few shops at the dealer level have the talent or expertise any longer to repair electrical parts. They are taught to replace, not repair. You may find a local electrician who can fix it for you, but no car dealer is going to bother...welcome to the 21st century in the new car business.

Remember, too, that retail labor rates at the dealer level [real life example - the $80 they charged just to pull it out] make most repairs an uneconomic proposition, for them if not for you. They would rather replace the assembly and get on to the next job. I'm not endorsing this practice, merely telling you that there is nothing unusual in their approach.
    On the faulty lock motor - do some shopping around online and on the phone. You may find a source for the part which will be vastly cheaper than they are quoting...
  • morgagemanmorgageman Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone purchased a 2002 corolla le auto in the nj ny market? I shopping and about to. WHICH DEALER AND WHAT KIND OF OPTIONS AND PRICES. LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR FEED BACK. ALSO I'M READING THAT THE 2001/2002 ARE SLOWER THAN THE OLDER ONES. I'M DRIVING A 1998 COROLLA LE AUTO AND HAPPY WITH PICK UP. ANY FEED BACK? HAPPY FATHER'S DAY.
    THANKS.
  • ml2257ml2257 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know what major changes for the 2003 corolla? a friend of mine who only buys japanese cars, says that they redesign them every 5 years, and not to buy the first year of the new model, wait a year until they workout the minor glitches..any info appreciated
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Minor glitches can happen any year in a Corolla. Having a first year model means it can be paid for before the redesign comes out.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Mainly, it's going to be bigger, little more powerful, and just generally better. You can catch a glimps of it from the Japanese Corolla, they already got the new design.

Not buying the first year of a model is a old timer rule of thumb. It does have some merit. There could be some minor teething trouble for the cars on the first year. And it holds true for all car companies to a degree. But the degree which is holds true differs a lot by automakers.

For domestics, it's a very wise thing to pass up
    on the first year of production. Just look at a few examples. The Ford Focus had 4 recalls and who knows how many service bulletins for the first model year. The new Explorer is being recalled as well for quite a few different problems.

But for Toyota and Honda, it's not nearly as big of a deal. The current Corolla haven't had a single recall. Most Toyota vehicles tend to experience only 1 or 2 minor problems, for the first year.

So I wouldn't pass up on a good car just because it's the first year of the production. Especaily if it's a Toyota, and if the 2003 Corolla get's most of what the Japanese Corolla got.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I would wait until the second year of a car's production if it is a new car or a redesign of an existing model.

I have seen pictures of what was said to be the new Corolla and I find it radically different from the existing models. To me it looks like a cross between the Echo and the Avalon. I think people are going to be very polarized by the looks. They are going to either love it or hate it.

As far as the Focus goes, it had six recalls in its first year of production and just two in the 2001 model year (its second year of production). The Echo had one recall (a cold weather one) in 2000 which was its first year of production and has had none for the 2001 model which is the model year I own.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    morgageman- I highly doubt that the post 1999 Corollas are slower than their 98 and 99 examples. Toyota hasn't, as far as I have read, changed gearing for either of the automatics transmissions, but to ANYONE thinking about purchasing a Corolla, I would strongly advise against the 2001/2002 "CE" models with the optional (archaic) 3speed mechanically controlled which kills hwy fuel economy, refuses to downshift between 40-50 mph when passing, and creates excess noise. (My father owns a 99 VE model with the same trans, and its frustrating to drive b/c the 1.8 engine is so willing and able to move the car quickly and efficiently, but is robbed b/c Toyota is cheap.)
  • india97india97 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've got a 93 Corolla with about 125k miles. I love it and plan on keeping it until the doors fall off. I am beginning to look for the best ways to extend its life. Yes, I have loyally followed the maintenance schedule. Has anyone switched to synthetic oil in his or her Corollas? Have you seen any benefit in fuel economy or engine condition? Anyone got any other preventative maintenance tips?
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    believe me, the engine and transmission in your car is so exceptionally durable that they are definitely going to outlast the car's other components. Forget about synthetic oil. What's the point of spending extra money while your engine can sure last 200000 miles with dyno oil ?

Just keep up the dyno oil changes and you will be fine.
  • jetscreamer1jetscreamer1 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 1996 Corolla with 48k. A good performer except for the fact that the when the trans is in drive, brake pedal depressed, the idle seems to be rough and the engine shake seems to be transmitting to the steering wheel. I just tuned the car with factory plugs and air filter, but the car continues to shudder at idle. Its more pronounced with the a/c on. Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I have been monitoring the mileage on my new Corolla - the last time I filled up, I put in 89 octane (mid range) unleaaded gas instead of 87 - I got 32.1 MPG - city driving, running A/C, on the 87 I only got 30.1 MPG - for years, most people have told me that paying more for anything higher than 87 octane was just wasting $, well, my last car was a '86 Honda and I ran it on 89 or higher octane unleaded gas about 90% of the time, and did so for almost 15 trouble-free years! Maybe the higher octane gas does make a difference in gas mileage?
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Well, it certaintly wouldn't hurt to drive higher octane gas. And who knows, it might even allow the car to run a little cleaner and last a little longer. But I wonder if it's really nessary. I mean, how many years do you really planning on keeping a car? When will you just get so sick and tirely of looking that that thing?

Well, holding on to a car for 15 years is a little too long for me. The last time I kept a car that old was when I was broke and lived on Ramen noodles in college. ;)

Now, no need to be driving old out dated cars any more. I plan to change cars every 10 years (or 2 generations). My wife and I both have a car, so we space them out 5 years, so we will always have one car that's "up to date". ;) I think driving 87 octane shouldn't give me any problem for at least 10 years. By then, it's time to trade in the oldie.
    one reason I drove my Honda for so long is because my husband is one of those people who believe in driving a car until the wheels fall off! Also, I really thought I would be getting another Honda and I was waiting for the '01's to come out - but after some extensive research and test-driving I went with the Corolla and so far I'm really glad I did - someone suggested that the better mileage was due to the engine being "broken in" a little more than before - I really believe it's due to the higher octane gas - I don't plan to purchase it every time I fill up, but I thought it was interesting and wanted to share the info -
    What you are describing is by no means normal or average. These tend to be butter-smooth at idle. I could rack up a whole list of suspects: oxygen sensor would be one, and a broken motor mount would be another. In a case like this, a good mechanic may be your only recourse.
  • sarajadesarajade Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody! I'm getting ready to buy my second Corolla, and as I don't have a lot of free time to go out to the automalls and look at the cars, I do most of my browsing online and go from there.
    Since a lot of times there's no back end view to the car, I can't be sure if I'm looking at what I want. I think the 96 and 97 DX models are the ones with the red glass between the tailights, not the gray chunk of plastic. Am I right? I've asked tons of people, posted messages on lots of forums, but I get all different answers! If there are any proud owners of a 96 or 97 out there, could you let me know? A black DX (if I'm right) with a spoiler would be too darling. Thanks in advance!
    all the below refers to the back of the car

a 93 has the toyota on the left and the designation on the right

in 94 and up toyota is on the right and the designation is on the left

in 95 DX's got new interiors

LE's were only made in 93-95 which had the red piece in the middle instead of the grey and unique pinstriped interior

in 96, all Corolla's had the white taillamps in place of the yellow, but still gey middles

in 97, the final year of this style, all Corollas got the red middle

I own a 89 and a 95.
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    I have a picture of the interior of the Next Corolla. My source is trying to get me one of the exterior.
    www.thehollywoodextra.com
    Scroll down that page and click on the link to my pictures. (this is my roommate's site)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    My white '96 DX has the red bar between the taillights and it looks sharp. I bought the car used with 18k and now with 50.5k, I still love the car. Besides tires, oil changes every 3k to 4k, and a complete brake job, the car remains bullet proof. The milage ain't to bad either. Good luck with your search sarajade. The prices should be quite reasonable now but buy from a reputable source! BTW, the black with the spoiler would be way cool, saw one the other day and I started to salivate!
  • stickershockstickershock Member Posts: 5
    I've been getting about 28.4 mpg with my 1999 corolla LE, automatic. I used to get over 30 mpg, but i dunno why it's so low now a days.

What mgp do you guys get with your corollas? Please list year, trim, and auto/manual. Thanks.

-stickershock
  • stickershockstickershock Member Posts: 5
    oh yeah, my corolla has about 21,000 miles on it, and i do both city and highway driving...
    89 GT-S manual 132,000 33 city 40 hwy
    95 DX manual 107,000 35 city 40 hwy
    last tank I got 32.1 MPG (city driving, using A/C) this was on 89 octane, on the previous tank using 87 octane I got 30.1 MPG....this is a 4-speed automatic
  • warzonectxwarzonectx Member Posts: 26
    can you gus email me a 2003 Toyota Corolla photos.
    my name is matt.my email is warzonectx@juno.com
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    1995 automatic 1.8 liter 38 miles per gallon with a lot of city mileage. checked it 3 different times stayed the same.
    If anyone wants something of an idea of what the next Corolla is going to look like, should pick up a copy of Consumer Review. They have a periodical dealing with cars of the future. In there they have a drawing of the Corolla. It is very close to the photos I have seen.

Shape wise, it looks like an Echo and exterior accents (not present on the rendering) remind me of an Avalon.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    24 mpg. 100% city driving, 2001 LE fourspeed automatic.
    I have a curious trivia question.

What year did the Corollas sell the most? (US domestic sales only)

I would guess in the late 70's.
  • truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    How much should you pay for the 2001 COROLLA LE? and how much with alloy wheels and spoiler? Will the corolla last you for 10 years easily, or up to 100,000 carefree miles if it is taken care off well? Can you please inform me, and is the power faster or slower or what than camry, i rode in a new Camry LE the car is so smoooth and quite, can u tell me what you know about the LE Engine i know its a 1.8 , but is it same as camry , the way it runs and can corolla run up to 85 MPH with out a struggle ? please inform us soon ,bye.
  • hcornerhcorner Member Posts: 24
    DEAR GOD, HELP US ALL IF THIS IS TRUE!!!!!

The Echo, though Motoring 2000(a excellent Canadian show about cars) called the Echo "Car of the Year", has to be one of the worst looking cars ever made. Sure, lots of room on the interior, but just look at it!!!!! It's a tin-can with wheels!!!!
  • vladyvlady Member Posts: 44
    I like your sence of humor. 28mpg would be close to the real city milage.
    I do only only city driving and never got over 30mpg(have to mention I live in the second worse traffic city in US :-))).

hcorner. The look is secondary.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    I get 41 consistently in my 01 with manual transmission.........
    I have to agree with you about some of the outrageous gas mileage quotes I have read here. I truly believe most people do not know how to accurately measure their gas mileage.
    when I first got my car, I did not know how to calculate the mileage - but now I do know, and I got 32.1 MPG on my last tank, 30.1 on the tank before - but I am still "babying" my Corolla LE!
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I'm babying my LE as well, and it's getting around 30-34 MPG overall. I'm now up to 3600 kms. and loving every km.! The car is extremely smooth, especially for the size.

How are things going with your car?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Edmunds has a write up of the 2003 Toyota Matrix and I bet that the '03 Corolla will look alot like it. It will be built on the same platform in Fremont, CA and I hope there will be a 180 HP versin too
    everything's going great with my LE, have about 1475 miles on it - I can't think of one thing that has been a letdown or disappointment - when I first got it, I didn't think I was getting the 30MPG I was supposed to get because I was trying to estimate the mileage based upon the position of the gas gauge needle, but then I starting figuring it everytime I filled up using my trip meter (thanks to a couple of people on this board who explained how to do it) and I was elated to find out I am actually getting a tad over 30 MPG in the city, have you or anyone else driven your car until your low fuel indicator light comes on? If so, how many gallons did you have left in your tank? I filled up the other day when my gauge was about 1/16" from the "E" - heck, I still had 4 gallons left in my tank! I could have gone another 120 miles before running out! I really am glad I chose the Corolla, I just love it!
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Glad you like your Corolla about as much as I like mine. I did manage to light up that empty tank light, but I didn't bother to estimate how much gas I had left. I know that it cost me about $27 CDN dollars to fill up, which is great since it would've cost me $50 to fill up with my last car.

As far as MPG goes, I do a lot of highway driving so my mileage is around 32-34, if not more (7.7 litres/100 km. to be exact, whatever that amounts to in MPG). 30 MPG or so in city driving conditions is great.
    I really don't see much similarity between the pictures I have seen of the next Corolla and the Matrix.

The next Corolla will have the tall greenhouse and the backend is higher than the front end look of the Echo. The emblems and lights remind me of the Avalon.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    I too am suprised at my mileage, I will run it again, for the boards but I'm very serious I got 36-38 miles per gallon when I checked a couple months ago. I even checked it 3 times in 3 weeks. Granted my car has been overheating for awhile that could mess up the readings. Noticed in consumer reports the new corollas had gotten as high as 42 or 46 if i remember right, it was very high.

For all the pain in [non-permissible content removed] greenies in the world they really need to buy a corolla I figure.
    According to Consumer Reports when they tested the 2001 Toyota Corollas they averaged 29 mpg. overall. This means that city driving was probably around 25-26 mpg. which is exactly what I am getting when I do all city driving. I am sorry but I have a hard time believing some of these posted gas mileages. Especially when they say their gas gauges are practically on E and they think they can go another 4 gallons or another 128 miles (according to their estimates). They must have a much bigger tank then I have on my "01" Corolla !!!!!
    I can assure you on my last tank I did get 32.1 MPG using 89 octane gas - the tank before I got 30.1 MPG using 87 octane - when my needle got very close to the "E" I kept waiting and watching for my low fuel indicator light to come on - but it didn't(hopefully it does work) so I went ahead and filled up - the pump automatically cut off after I put in 9.1 gallons, well, since our tanks hold 13.2 gallons, then I had 4.1 gallons in the tank which means at 30 MPG I could have gone another 120 miles - I promise you from one Corolla owner to another this is true!
    Well if you are not getting the proper gas mileage from your newbie Corolla, then something is wrong. Maybe they have more power. Maybe its the gas. Maybe its a automatic gearing problem. Maybe its your lead foot.

Corollas have gotten more powerful over the years. I had a 77 with all of 69 horsepower and it got 25 mpg. I also had a 85 with 70 horsepower and it got as high of 45 mpg. However the two I own now the 89 has 115 hp and you can drive it hard or easy and it gets low 30's in the city and 40 on the highway and it redlines at 7700 rpm. The other Corolla has 105 hp and it gets better city mileage and the same on the highway. I would expect that the automatic equivalent would be worse for the latter car since auto was not as option on the GT-S. However, a brand new 2001 Corolla should get low 30's with a manual and similar with the 4-speed auto. The old archaic 3-speed is another matter.
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    Some of the newer folks around here probably haven't seen these photos yet, so I'll just remind that they can see photos of the next generation Corolla, for the Japanese market, at Toyota Japan's website. Though they won't necessarily be *identical*, I'd be very surprised if they weren't similar!

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/ exterior/images/ex01_vga.jpg

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/ exterior/images/ex02_vga.jpg

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/ exterior/images/ex03_vga.jpg

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/ interior/images/int01_vga.jpg

You'll have to remove the space between /CorollaSedan/ and exterior or interior for the above links to work...Kept getting an error trying to post it as one long link otherwise...

Since I think the Echo is butt-ugly (just my opinion!), I like to think of the next Corolla as taking some design cues from the Prius--but not the Echo!! :-)
  • vladyvlady Member Posts: 44
    I love my Corolla, but I very much hate the fuel gauge. It never shows correct level. 6 month ago the low fuel lamp was seen last time(have checked-sending unit is dead-will cost me 200$+labor). But I can live without it, I just track the fuel using a trip meter or the dollar amount :-)))
    Thank what you like, but the Echo was first to market so both the Prius and this new Corolla take their styling cues from the Echo. Sorry.
  • xyzipp2xyzipp2 Member Posts: 28
    Sorry Echo fans, but if they style the new Corolla anything like the Echo, count me out. The Echo has got to be one of the ugliest cars alive. I must admit that I did enjoy driving it when I was looking for a new car. The interior was suprisingly spacious, and I am sure it carries Toyota quality. However, the design was not my type. Somebody once told me the Echo was so ugly it is cute. I beg to differ. Here is hoping they don't ruin a perfectly good little car.
    At first I thought I may have a screwy gas gauge too - because the needle would slowly move sometimes while I was driving - about 1/8" - then it would move back - my salesman said this was normal - due to the float device inside the gas tank - but I did not know how to determine my mileage when I first got the car - several people from this board explained it to me (I was trying to do it based upon where the needle was and estimate how much gas was in the tank) anyway, I've since been using my trip meter to figure the MPG - I don't know if this has any bearing on MPG or not, but I do have my front tires inflated to 33 and my rear tires inflated to 32 - slightly more than what's recommended - also, I use my A/C daily but keep the recirculate button on...
    Check out the 5-door version of the next Corolla; the Matrix.

Will it take Rav4 sales or Corolla sales or start a new genre of its own?