Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    It will probably take sales away from other manufacturers. It's stylish enough to lure those who might otherwise not consider a Toyota into buying one.

The Corolla All-Trac wagon (and the 4WD Tercel before it) sold alongside the Tercel and Corolla just fine without much cannibalizing sales of either. This one will probably do the same.
  • stickershockstickershock Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to all who responded to my corolla mpg survey. The talk about driving until the empty light came up, brought a chuckle to my face though. Why would anyone drive their car until they ran out of gas?

Anyways, i have a frustrating problem concerning washing my car. I have a white 1999 corolla and i find it terribly difficult to wash it clean. It seems like no matter how hard i wash my car, tiny black dirt spots remain. These spots are very tiny (have to get up close to see them), but yet they annoy the living heck out of me. These spots are mostly in the front of the car (bumper, hood, etc). Seems like the only way to remove them is to use my fingernails to scratch them off, or to rub the spot vigorously using a towel. Is the problem the soap, the towel, the water, my washing technique? I don't know. Washing my baby has become such a chore, there has to be a better way.

Does anyone else have this problem? Better yet, can anyone suggest a solution for it??
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    my reason for asking about the low fuel indicator light was because I was curious about how much gas was left in the tank when the light did come on - my light has yet to come on in spite of the needle being very close to the "E" - I've been told (by dealership) that you still have about 2 gallons left when the light comes on - so that's why I asked - about washing your car - are you sure they are dirt spots and not tiny spots of tar or something? It just seems like dirt would wash away and not remain on your paint - some car washes are alot stronger than others - what kind are you using? Do you wash your car with a wash mitt or a towel or a sponge? Sorry I'm not more helpful...I'm just not sure what those black spots are...tar is the only thing that comes to mind -
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Like Britton said, it does sound like you have tar spots on your car. Oddly enough, I've found that white cars are the easiest to care for. Anyway, about your tar spots, it's common to find them on the hood or around the wheel wells especially if they've repaved roads on which you've driven. The tar/asphalt sometimes isn't quite packed yet, and small chunks fly right on your car. A definite way to check if these black spots are really tar, smudge one of those spots with your finger; if it does indeed smudge, then this is tar. The best ways to remove these is to wash your car, applying a bit more pressure around those spots, but if you have too many this can become quite tiring. I've heard that a clay bar works wonders with tar spots. You can buy these at your local auto care store. Another solution, though I've never tried this one, is to buy a "Bug & Tar Remover" bottle made by Turtle Wax. On application, it supposedly lifts any kind of tar (and bugs) off your car. I've bought the stuff, but haven't used it yet. I hope this helps.
    Hey fellow Corolla owners,

I'm now up to 3800 kms. with my Corolla LE, and I'm still amazed at how comfortable and quiet the car is, and the superb fuel economy is a big plus.

Because of the record heats and for the "coolness" factor, I'd like to have my windows tinted. I think my color, Indigo Ink, would go really well with a light tinting job. Have any of you tinted your windows, and if so, what's your tint %. I don't want them to be too dark and have my Corolla look like a rice car. Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    In some of the exterior care topics over on the Maintenance and Repair Board, some folks rave about using clay bars to remove tar and other things that won't easily wash off - you might want to check them out.

Apparently, there are two kinds of clay bars one can obtain, abrasive and non-abrasive. NON-abrasive is what everyone over there recommends.

Hope this helps - let us know how it works out.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Both of my Corollas are white. Here is the secret. Wash it first with armor all car wash or something equivalent. Then use bug and tar remover for what is remaining. It is a must for tar and bugs spots all over the front bumper. I have been using it over 10 years. Prepare to do some scrubing on plastic parts such as bumpers, mud flaps, side bumper protection. Another way to make life easier is to wax the whole car and leave the car in the shade or garaged when you are not using it, thereby extending the life of your wax job. By having some wax protection on the car, less scrubing. Do not do any scrubing on the paint (metal) surfaces. It should come right off when applied. I used to literally wash every single bug off the car, but I am not as picky as I used to be. A perfectly clean white car is stunning.

My truck is also white. However, I did try to keep some pertinent areas non-white like the bumper, the side mirrors, etc. It makes it much easier to clean.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Here in the US, most states have different regs regarding the amount of window tinting. Not sure if Canada is the same way, but I would check with local law enforcement and not the people on the board for what amount of tint is allowable.

Also, if you do the job yourself, do not rely on the tint level given on the product packaging if you have some tint on the windows already. The combination of the existing tint and the new tint could push your car into the illegal area.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    I have a "01" Corolla LE Black Sandpearl I got the windows tinted about two months ago. I got charcoal grey 33% Solargard film all the way around. This is just right for me. I did not want to go too dark because of it being illegal here in PA. plus because of it being black already I didn't want it to look all black. It really helps with the heat build up in the car by keeping the sun out. The installer in my area did an excellent job and charged me only $185.00.
    Check out the window tinting message board here in Town Hall for further info.
  • stickershockstickershock Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I love my corolla and my fellow corolla owners. You guys are the bombs.

I live in Los Angeles, heaven knows what's in the air we breathe *holds breath*. I get all sort of foreign objects on my car; dirt, tar, bugs, rocks *yikes*

--stickershock
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Well I ran through a 1/2 tank in my toyota got 32/mpg. Tires are kinda low and I did stop and go traffic all the time, no highway at all, ac running constantly. . I suspect putting more air in the tires and more realistic driving as well as running it all the way to empty I may be able to get 34-35. Looks like the days of getting 37-38 might be over. Must have been my car overheating that month that gave me super high mileage. Will run a full tank dry this week for more accuracy. hehe who needs electric 3 cylinder cars when you own a corolla.
  • corollaman1corollaman1 Member Posts: 1
    After my 2000 corolla CE had 10-15 K miles on it, I was only getting 31-32 mpg (no air on)pure highway driving @ 65-75mph. I now routinely get 39-43 mpg with full time air after doing the following (Canadian car with Michelin MX4 tires ): 1.Change to KN type air filter (possible 3-4 mpg increase). 2.Addition of PTFE based anti friction additive (probable 2-3 mpg increase).
    3.Use of Chevron Fuel injection cleaner every 1500-3000 miles (see note on 4).4.Use of pennzoil 5w-30 oil(1 qt syn +3 qt reg.) and fram filter every 3000 mi.(Mileage increase I do not know, but a supper clean engine helps keep mpg a max!)

I expect mpg to return to 42-46 in Nov. when I can turn air off. Would love to hear from someone who tries any or all of above. Oh yes, added bonus: dropped 0-60 time from 10.0 to 8.1,at a cost of less than $100 bill!

PS. I now get 28 + or - 0.5 mpg in 50/50 driving(with air on).
  • markgmidmarkgmid Member Posts: 1
    After your normal car wash, mix a tablespoon of kerosene in a quarter bucket of clean water. This should remove the road tar spots. I learned this tip from a roommate who bought a brand new white Porsche. It was a recommendation for his Porsche. He only used the kerosene and water and then an occasional wax job. Last time I saw the car, it still had factory paint from 1975.
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    I saw a post with pics of the new corolla. I think its looks awful (my opinion).i am about 2 days from purchasing my first corolla(2002 LE indigo ink). I dont understand why the drastic change. I think they couldve enhanced their current design (nice front end and rear tail lights there almost lexus like)
    Is there any changes from 2001 LE to the 2002 LE ?
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    I've gotten nothing but good comments on the way my '98 Corolla looks. Well, it is dressed up in Konig rims and 195/50 15 tires.

IMO, the new Civic 4 doors look too boring as well.
    Any one own a new 2002 Corolla yet? How does it compare to the 2001?
    I'd be really interested to see your Corolla--can you post a pic here, or would you have a website where we can see it?

On another note, I've tinted the windows on my Corolla (thanks Terceltom for the window tinting info)... I decided on 50% for the front windows, 35% for the back windows and 20% for the rear window. I think it looks great, and I'll post a pic on here soon.
  • truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    Hi we need to buy a NEW car soon within two weeks,what do you know about the 01 or the 02 Corolla LE sedan? wed like to know what the price should be fully loaded for an LE with spoiler and alloy wheels? are the motors fast to speed up and do you think a corolla can handle ONE year of driving ..because we will be driving 40,000 miles for the first year? and only small miles following?..what would you say we should get a CIVIC LX,EX, corolla LE or CAMRY CE???..please tell us your experiences ..miles and prices and all that you know..thanks so much.
    I'm glad you decided to get it done. I really like mine and if my car was not Black Sand Pearl I probably would have gone darker then 33% all the way around. It really helps with the heat and bright sun.
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    Sorry I'm late in getting back to you.

I don't have a digital camera so I will have to ask a friend to take a picture of my Corolla for me, of course after I give it a good wash. Also, I will have to figure out how to post the picture on this message board. Control C and then control V?

Best regards,

glenglen
  • man657man657 Member Posts: 1
    It looks like toyota is leaning over towards the luxury side in the new corolla. If its any thing that better be new is the room in the new corolla because I must admit, as much as i love the current corolla, it desperatley need more leg room or overall room for that matter.
    Does anyone have any info. on the 2002 Corolla? It seems everyone is interested in the 2003 but what about the 2002? There must be some changes in this years model even if they are small.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    most of the Corolla's at dealerships right now are 2002 models. there is virtually no change from the 2001. 2001 was the corolla's 4th model year, and as such, it received the minor front and rear end restyling, equipment grade changes, different wheel covers, and seat fabrics.
    going to pick up my dad's new leased 2002 tonight-black... a good color for the car, I think.
    Thanks, I'd like to know what yours looks like... I have a pic of my own that I'd like you (and you all reading this post) to see, but I don't quite know how to post a picture on here, therefore...

HOST: Can we put personal pictures of our Corolla here, and if so, what is the technical procedure?

Thanks!
    Thanks for the info.I have a Black Sandpearl "01" and the color is nice but you have to wash it all the time to keep it looking good.
  • patzillapatzilla Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so the first Toyota I owned was a preowned 1994 Corolla Wagon DX - poor thing started having computer problems just past the 100,000 mile mark, so we decided to trade it in (it was going to cost $1900 to replace the computer, and that was on top of all the other problems we "fixed" - stuff the computer was saying was wrong when it wasn't) - We gave up on our little "Tigger", as we affectionately called it, in Oct 2000, after 4 years of loyal service, and traded it in on a 1997 Saturn SW2 (Ok, kick me) - MISTAKE!!!!! Oh man if I could take that trade back, I would have sunk the $1900 and fixed ol' "Tigger" - Well, the long and short of it is, I hate the Saturn, 5 times into the shop in the past month, and they couldn't diagnose it properly until they started swapping fuel injectors around - Besides the fact that they want you to join their "Cult" of Saturn and the darn thing rattles more than a baby toy -While the ol' Saturn was in the shop I headed over to the Toyota dealer and got myself a nice shiney almost new 2001 Corolla LE - and if I have any say in the matter - we'll be trading the Saturn in for another. Once you've had a Corolla, you'll never want to drive anything else - the Corolla is zippy, has spunk, has passing power with that nice overdrive, mine is maxed to the gills with options (only thing it doesn't have is the alarm, the moonroof, side airbags, and wood trim on the dash). I love my Corolla - I won't make the same mistake of giving up on it if it develops any problems. ;-)
    I've read a lot of posts here about people that are very happy with their Corollas, and the same goes for the people that I've spoken with. It's amazing what kind of stories you hear from other Corolla owners. In my opinion, the Corolla is one of the best cars on the road these days, even if some people say that the design is old: you're right when you say that it has ample passing power and is very zippy. I still can't believe it when I'm driving around and I want to make a quick turn or pass, and how easy it is do to just that.

Did you buy the 2001 LE yet? If so, what's the color?
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Was looking at Corolla vs the Echo. What kind of MPGs does the Corolla get? Echo owners report 40 mpg or better on the highway, even with the automatic, and low to mid 30s in more stop and go type driving. I know the EPA numbers for both cars are very close for the automatics...30/39 for the Corolla and 32/38 for the Echo, but I suspect that the Echo does a lot better than the Corolla in the real world. True or false assuming you drive both cars the same way? Thanks.
    on my last tank I got 32.1 MPG (city) - I have a '01 Corolla with 4-speed auto - on the previous tank I got 30.1 MPG - I know a lady who has a '01 Echo with auto transmission - she gets 32 MPG city driving -
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    About posting photos - Karen, the host of the Owners Clubs explains it very well. Check out the post at this link: KarenS "Sequoia Owners: Photo Gallery" Apr 9, 2001 12:46pm

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • dolla2000dolla2000 Member Posts: 9
    Three days into owning my brand new, 2001 Toyota Corolla (purchased 6/22/01), I noticed a creaky noise coming from the steering column. I pulled over and checked under the hood only to discover that the Power steering fluid reservoir was completely empty. I only found water under the car, not p/s fluid. Since I had the car washed minutes before, the water finding was not surprising. However, the empty reservoir was a surprise. I replaced the p/s fluid and saw no leak. It stayed this way for the next few weeks until last night when I noticed the creaking noise again. This time, I there was fluid virtually gushing from beneath the car. I checked to make sure it wasn't water and sure enough, it was the p/s/ fluid. AAGGHH! I replaced the fluid this morning and sent my wife to the dealer. She's furious because she talked me into a Corolla (versus the Nissan Altima) based on it's legendary reliability. We've put all but nine miles (1500 total) on the car.

I love the way the car handles and I get pretty decent mileage (not the 39 hwy, 29 city quoted, but decent nonetheless) but you can't imagine how angry I am about this. Hopefully the dealer determines that it's only a minor problem and is easily correctable. We're about to go on vacation and we really don't need this hassle.
    wow, that stinks! I don't blame you for feeling disappointed and somewhat disgruntled - I've had my '01 Corolla LE for about 4 months and the car has been perfect in every way - the only gripe I have is that the 2002's are about $400 lower in price than my '01 - good luck getting everything corrected...
    Thanks britton2. It turned out to be a faulty power steering pump. The dealer replaced it without any hassle. The car now rides and sounds the way it should. I will still be very diligent about checking fluid levels and listening to my instincts about strange sounds in the car. My wife thought I was being anal but she found out I was on to something.

I saw the price differential between my '01 and the new '02 and felt a little burned.
    Pat_Host: Thanks for the technical info. about posting images.

Since the images are bit bigger than I'd like to post here (88k, I didn't want to sacrifice the colors), I'll post the links here instead. That way, if you won't download the pictures if you don't want them... especially for my fellow dial-up users:

The window tint percentages are 50% for the front windows, 35% for the back windows and 20% (not viewable) for the rear glass.

A close-up of the windows.
  • ursa_arctosursa_arctos Member Posts: 3
    How do Corolla Sedans handle in snow? Where I live, it is an important consideration.
    I drove a Toyota Corolla during the wintertime for the past two years and I have nothing wrong to say about it, especially with one equipped with ABS brakes. The car handles great in the snow, is easy to maneuver, and stops adequately on ice. The heater works great when you have a lot of drizzle or cold weather.
  • mrbucksmrbucks Member Posts: 2
    I guess there is nothing you can do when you pay a suckers price. I can't believe, if I am reading the lease agreement and the pricing on Edmunds, that I paid sticker price.
    I guess I fell for the stripped down explanation of the ads versus what I was buying. Collar 3 spd auto, with only the VP package and defogger added.
    I guess I found this too late to save money. What prices are being paid for te 2001 model. I see by my lease agreement that I agreed to $14,987 so I beleive I rally blew it. And I have purchsed 3 vehicles from this same guy. Now I feel pretty foolish. Hopefully I'm wrong but you prices will let me know.
    mrbucks-perhaps you are being too hard on yourself. leasing and buying are very different things and leasing is very loosely related to MSRP/purchase price. since leases are based on resale value, for example, it is quite possible that you'd pay much less for a lease on a Camry as compared to the much cheaper Hyundai Sonata.
    however, we just took my dad's 1999 Corolla back and leased a 2002 model.. I'll tell you how we did:

Corolla CE auto w/VP for $260/month for 36 months through Chase bank with 565 down as Cap Cost reduction and 15,000 miles per year. AND the dealership absorbed $744 of remaining payments on the 1999 (three months worth) and about $55 dollars worth of over milage.
    If we hadn't had to turn the car in 3 months early due to overmileage, we'd in all likelihood be paying about 240/month, and that figure would then be lowered again if we only needed the standard 12,000mi/year instead of 15K.

Although I hate the 3sp auto, its a decent looking, peppy, reliable, no frills workhorse of a commuter car. I wouldn't go by the 7500mile service intervals that are perscribed by the owners manual... I'm still all for 3750 or 5000miles.
    I paid exactly 3% above invoice (according to the Edmunds' 2K1 New Car guide) for my Corolla. The sales manager came grovelig for a deal when I told him I was aware of holdbacks and that I was prepared to walk across the street to the Honda dealer if he didn't accept my very fair offer.

Surprisingly, carsdirect.com came pretty darn close to the price I paid. Any new car buyers can compare their prices to the Edmunds calculations and make a decision from there.
  • shannon14bshannon14b Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 1993-1996 Toyota Corolla. I have only owned one Toyota (1994 Toyota 4wd p-up) which I sold today. I am looking for something very reliable and gets good gas mileage.

Are there any things I should look for or stay away from?
    Are the automatics stout and reliable? I appreciate ANY information. I got an unlimited account with carfax and I am checking all vehicles through that.

I am gonna try to stay down around 110K or less on mileage.

What kind of life/ mileage could I expect to get out of a decently cared for corolla?
  • ninermikeninermike Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 01 Corolla S. I am thinking about getting a dash cover for it and would like to know if anybody out there has one. Can you recommend one that fits and looks good. Thanks
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Shannon, have had my DX since the end of '97 and still love the car at 52k miles. It's extremely reliable and if one does the routine maintenance, these cars are bullet proof. The prices aren't to high either. Try to find a certified car or at least one from a dealer who'll give you a warranty period just in case some gremlins pop up. You might pay a little more but sometimes the piece of mind is worth the extra $'s. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • tbonegrltbonegrl Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2002 stick shift Indigo Ink Corolla with a TON of add ons, (heavy defr, heavy starter, dealer pkg #2, emissions, cd, sunroof, s convenience pkg) for 14,700!!! I think I got a really good deal, especially 'cause corollas are selling so fast here in Ohio, and they are very hard to find in Indigo Ink. The only drawback was that the Corolla didn't have ABS. I wanted ABS, but they said it was rare to get one with it, and it's en route from the factory, so it couldn't be added (we checked). I am so proud!!!

The only sad part is I have to sell my 91 tercel with 77K on it. (his name is Henry)
    Congratulations! What will you name it?

I have an Indigo Ink Corolla too, and it's a joy to drive. I hope you'll have lots of fun with it.
    just curious ive read the owners manual for my 2002 corolla and read to not exceed 55 mph for the 1st 1000 miles/but i have to drive on the freeway every day with the speed limit of 65 mph
    im i doing allot of damage to my car?
    thats a good question... I also am driving a new Corolla with less than 1k on it, and completely forgot about that axiom... I am no expert, but I dont see how doing 65mph could be so bad...
    Just think of it like this:
    if going 55mph causes you to be a traffic hazard, and someone ends up smashing into, you'll probably have done a lot more damage to the car (and yourself)than if you just kept up with traffic.
    ~alpha
    especially with the way morons drive around here.
    seriously i saw a guy get hit on a motorcycle(he was driving like a moron), and almost get in at least one sticky situation every day.
  • zhzzhz Member Posts: 29
    I'd pay more attention to the RPM than the speedometer. 1st gear at 40mph will kill you car anytime. That's why there is a rev limiter on most cars.