Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I have a 2002 Corolla S with a five speed. I too drive to work on an uncluttered freeway and have been driving between 60 & 65mph. Revs are more important than speed. They always tell you to vary your speed when new and not drive at a steady speed. I shift from 5th to 4th at the same speed to vary the revs. I'm at 700 miles now and getting restless!!
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    i just purchased i 2002 corolla le with the following options
    automatic/value pkg 2/cd player/weather guard pkg/5 piece floor mats set/cruise/abs brakes
    $15,242
    the out the door price tax title etc.... was around $16,300
  • mbbstimsmbbstims Member Posts: 16
    I want to purchase an LE without AC.A certain dealer I went to said that the LEs and the CEs are all coming from the factory with AC and it is almost impossible to find one on a lot without AC.He said that the only way would be to order one and wait 6 months for delivery! He also said the same about finding an LE without power windows.Does all this sound correct or is he giving me a snow job so I will go for the options?I trust car dealers about as much as door to door vacuum cleaner salesmen.Will some one out there give me the truth?

Thank you to whomever for your help.
  • zhzzhz Member Posts: 29
    I thought LE has AC and Power Windows as standard.
    According to Edmunds, air is in "value package 1" on both the CE and LE which is an option. Why would you need to wait 6 months for a Corolla made in Fremont Calif? That's just BS from the dealer to sell you something in stock. I would think twice about the no air thing. Any savings now will be dwarfed by the bad resale value later.
    Thanks for the reply desertguy.Yes,AC is an option in the value package as per Edmunds.My Toyota brochure also lists this as an option.The salesman told me that AC and power windows are standard on the LE.This must be BS as you say.[zhz also thought that.] All I want is a Corolla LE without power windows and AC.Why should that be so hard to find? I understand what you say about the AC desertguy but where I live[Maine] AC would be beneficial two months out of twelve so I would rather not pay for it.I have also been looking at the Nissan Sentra.Hard decision.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    IMO, I think that 6 months is BS, but the options info is not... meaning... just cause something is listed as an option doesnt exactly mean that it is optional, as many toyota cars are built with popular equipment packages according to regional demographics/preferences... for example if you go to the Toyota webstie and "Build your own" you will see that for almost all of the models, an OPTIONS package purchase is required, and the option packages available vary by your zip which corresponds to regional inventory.
    dont you find A/C a major benefit in defogging? I would consider it essential just for that.
    ~alpha
    I have little use for a heater here in the desert either. Some of these greedy dealers are loading their more expensive cars here with heated seats! What a ripoff that is. It never gets to freezing here.
  • dolla2000dolla2000 Member Posts: 9
    Dealers get alot of their cars loaded with options to try to guarantee themselves a certain profit margin. You can go to www.carsdirect.com and order yourself a Corolla LE without the extras you don't want.

I bought my LE off the lot and it came with Value Package #2. I didn't want Cruise control or color coded side mirrors (since my car is black) and made the dealer eat the cost if he wanted me to drive the car off the lot.
    That is a good point alpha . AC would be good for defogging but I still consider AC to be a minor convenience that I would rather not spend extra for.I am on a rather tight budget .I never found AC to be essential for defogging.Thank you for your input on the subject.

To desertguy: I hear you mister! Warm seats in your climate is just what you need.some of these salesmen could sell ice cubes to eskimos.

To dolla2000: Thanks for the info on carsdirect.com.Are they reputable?are they cheaper than going to a dealer?Does anyone else have an opinion of carsdirect?

mbbstims
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    We found that Cars Direct offered the best price for the 2001 Corolla S that I wanted. It was ironic that we dickered with the same Toyota Dealer that Cars Direct used to deliver our Corolla. I told the Dealer that I would gladly buy from him if he could meet my price. He was $300 higher than Cars Direct so I told him that I would be buying through the internet.

Anyway, I ordered my Corolla S with the equipment I wanted at the price I wanted. I had to special order to get the factory sunroof along with the side airbags, spoiler and the white color.

So far the car has been great and I have received many compliments on it!
    Thanks ultrarunner for the info on carsdirect.How does it work? Is carsdirect a bargaining agent for the buyer?Does the dealer contact you after they have made a deal with carsdirect?How long did you wait for deliver ?

Lots of questions,I know.Can you help ultrarunner? Does anyone else have some info or an opinion?

Thank you, mbbstims
  • noname_17noname_17 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about buying a 99 Corolla CE. It's pretty basic just has Automatic Transmision and tape player, but I know Corollas are supposed to be about as reliable as it gets and they get good gas mileage. My question is how smooth is the ride in them especially on a road that is kinda bumpy and is there a lot of road noise? Thanks for any help.
    I really do not know the fine points of all that goes on between the Dealer and Cars Direct. From what I understand, we actually bought our Corolla from Cars Direct. We had the cashiers check made out to them for the full amount.

The thing I liked about Cars Direct that is different from the other internet outfits that I dealt with is that they really have hundreds or thousands of dealers in the program and they give you a firm price quote up front on-line.

All of the other internet outfits said someone would be contacting me shortly with a price and availability. It turns out that they were mostly Dealership Groups trying to sell me something that they had in stock and with the exception of one Dealer about 50 miles away, all were much more expensive.

Anyway, my case was a little more complicated because no one in the Western United States had a Corolla equipped the way I wanted it.

The Dealer's Fleet Manager did put in extra effort by agreeing to release a white Corolla they had been allocated for build about 4 weeks out and then requesting that the Distributor ask the factory if the options could be changed to my requirements.

All in all quite a few telephone calls were placed in the span of about 4 days. The end result, by luck or persistence was that all parties cooperated and we took delivery 3 days after our car was built at NUMMI Fremont. The entire process took about 24 days.

I shopped for about a month before hand and in my case, Cars Direct really did have the best price.

I was really turned off by some of the Dealers I visited because their sales people really did not know as much as I did about Corolla options. Some flat out lied about the sun roof and side airbags. I was repeatedly told that they were not available as factory equipment!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Both of my parents work for Toyota (which saves me around $2000 on a new car :-) )and very soon I shall be driving and I have several decisions to make on what car I want. I have several 2002 models in mind (that would be ordered from the factory). These are the ECHO, Corolla, Celica, Camry (redesign), Solara, RAV4 and Matrix (2003). The ECHO, Matrix and Corolla would be loaded. Celica, RAV4 would be moderately loaded while the Solara and Camry would have few options on them. I want a vehicle that can get me from point A to point B in an efficient and safe manner although it needs to be stylish, practical and easy to drive. I don't want a vehicle that wouldn't be utilized. (example-I have no use for a Land Cruiser nor an MR Spyder) I also want a vehicle that gives me a good view of the road. Someone I know has a 91 Civic...and I love how I can see the front end of the car from the passenger seat. My vehicle would definitely be automatic, have ABS and side impact airbags (if available) and a CD player. I want to know which vehicle would best suit my needs. I deeply appreciate everyone's advice. BTW--I love the Indigo Ink Pearl S Model Corolla!
  • kbuikbui Member Posts: 15
    FWIW, I just bought a 5-speed 2002 Corolla CE with the following options:
    - VP package (radio, cassette, A/C, digital clock)
    - Beefed-up rear defogger
    - Color-keyed side mirrors
    - Floor mats
    - Wheel covers
    - Toyoguard protection package (at $695 MSRP this is a rip-off in my opinion)
    Out-the-door price was $13.6K (tax, tag & license fee included).
    Hope this helps those of you who are shopping. Toyota does have a $500 custome incentive *for Corolla CEs only*.
  • asd1914asd1914 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought yesterday and here's the details:

California Dealer
    Indigo Ink
    Automatic
    V.Package 1(Air,Power Win/Lock, Digital clock
    Heavy duty defogger
    4Pcs Floor Mat
    CD
    I got the Invoice price!!!!

Grand total $15,XXX including tax,tag,license fee.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Since I own an Echo and not a Corolla, I don't read this board everyday. I stopped in and I noticed the posts about buying a non AC car.

You may find AC useful two months out of twelve, but that opinion may not be shared by others when it comes time to sell the car.

If you are like most Americans, you use the old car as a down payment on a new car. Not having AC will not only result in getting a lower price for your car (as compared to an AC equipped model), but it will also make it harder to sell in the first place.

In the long run, you will be better off buying the Corolla with AC.
    Ultra, thanks for passing on what you know about Carsdirect.Did you pick up your car at a local dealer? Do you take your car to that dealer for warranty work?
    Dealing with carsdirect interests me because the savings sounds good and I also do not like talking to car salesmen.Every other word that comes out of them is a lie.I also agree when you say that they do not even know about the product they are selling.

Majorthomecho: I wanted to buy an echo but the rest of the family did'nt like it.What you say about the AC makes sense.I will consider it. Thanks

mbbstims
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Another thing to consider is how secure your job is? Is there a chance during the life of the car of getting transferred to a place where the AC would be a necessity? That is also something to think about. Remember it is better to have something and not need it rather than to need something and not have it.
  • vladyvlady Member Posts: 44
    I just read posts about AC. Well in my experience I don't use AC as much in summer as I use it in fall-winter season. I live in Pacific Northwest-9 month out of 12 we have a rain and its derivateves. AC helps to clear foggy windshield in a seconds(especially rear window).
    I took delivery of my new 2001 Corolla S at the Toyota Dealer about 25 miles from where I live.

My car had 3.1 miles on it and was show-room ready. I actually saw my car the previous day when it was delivered to the Dealer with all of the protective shipping plastic bump-strips on it and my wheel covers and floor mats stowed in the trunk.

The next day it was detailed and all of the fluid levels topped off, gas tank filled and ready for me to pick up. I signed the papers which took about 20 minutes and drove it home. On the way home I stopped at the bank to get a cashiers check and then mailed it certified to Cars Direct for the full purchase amount. I was a little surprised that it was so easy.

The only stessfull part was getting my special order accepted by the factory. I think with or without Cars Direct that Factory Orders are always complicated.

Any warranty work is to be honored at any Toyota Dealer. I inspected the car very closely and have yet to find any problems in 4 months of driving including one vacation trip to Lake Tahoe of 600 miles.

I think Cars Direct is a great tool to negotiate the best price even if you end up buying locally. I could have saved some time by going with Cars Direct in the beginning instead of shopping local Dealers.

By the way, I did send a picture and a Thank You note to Toyota Nummi for building my Factory Order.

Hope this helps. I like to know what you decide and if Cars Direct is still beating the Dealers 4 months after my purchase.
    2001 Corolla S: Auotmatic with overdrive, 2,200 miles.

31.2 mpg, mostly in town, moderate load, ac on and up and down some steep hills!

48.7 mpg, Lake Tahoe Nevada to San Francisco (Down Hill most of the way, AC off, car unloaded. (I thought my gas gauge was broken because the indicator went down so slowly!)
  • damncooldamncool Member Posts: 3
    I have a automatic 1999 Corolla, anywayz....

I shifted my car to Parking position before the car comes to a complete stop, and I heard some grinding sounds from underneath my car. What kinda of damage could that have cause?? My car still runs fine, I think..... You think I should have my car check out?? Appreciated if you could answer my question.
  • imohammedimohammed Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at buying used corolla and I looked at couple of LEs. One guy claimed that it has ABS but I did not see any ABS status light in the dash board. Does corolla LE does not have ABS status light in dash board. I have a Accord EX and it shows ABS status light in dash board.

Thanks
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    The ABS light should come on when the car is started. If it doesn't come on, and the current owner says differently, the light might be out or the ABS sensor might not be working. In any case, open up the hood and look for the ABS module, located in the far right corner when you're looking at the engine (on my 2001 LE anyway).

I hope this helps.
  • imohammedimohammed Member Posts: 6
    Does this ABS module has anything written on it or any indication?
    As far as I know, no it doesn't, but the module is black, about 4-5 cm (3 inches) wide, and has 4 small metal pipes stemming from its left. It should be attached to the braking module (brake fluid and such).
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    Does anyones corolla rattle as bad as mine, or did mine fall off the truck?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Our '98 is very tight; we have certainly had Camrys that were less than wonderful in this respect, dash noises being the chief culprits. Our Corollas have been pretty good when it comes to relative silence in the cabin.
    Do you have a Corolla (implied here) or a Prizm (stated on that board) or both, or do you not know? Personally I think it makes a difference. They may be both made at NUMMI (although our Corolla is from Ontario), but the Corolla scored higher when evaluated by various zines compared to the Prizm, so I dont think its a far stretch to say that quality might be lower for the Prizm as well. (We already know that resale value is....)
    ~alpha
  • ursa_arctosursa_arctos Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Corolla and would like to put a hitch on it mainly for my bike rack. Does anyone out there have a hitch on theirs and if so, what make? Thanks.
  • tbonegrltbonegrl Member Posts: 4
    Well, my new Corolla, which I got for a GREAT price (see previous post) has been home with me for about 4 days now. I am loving every minute of driving him. (We decided to name him Bob) My car is very quiet, and I haven't found anything wrong with it at all. I love the sunroof too! (even though mine wasn't a "factory" installed roof, (my dealer added it) I really like it) It only has about 300 miles on it, and 200 were put on the car when the dealer drove it from Pittsburgh. (he wanted to get it to me asap, which I thought was very nice...I had purchased the car off a list of cars coming in, and was going to have to wait 3 weeks.) The guy who drove Bob from Pittsburgh reported he got 40 MPG highway and was very excited about it.

I've been reading a few previous posts--about the non-air. My previous car had no ac (a 1991 Toytota Tercel named Henry, whom I just sold) and it was a horrible problem when I was trying to sell it. Even with 77K, which was great for a 1991, a lot of people wouldn't even test drive him because he had no ac. I never minded, but a lot of people do...

As far as ordering cars with EXACTLY what you want, I wanted to get ABS on Bob, but the dealer said ABS is not really seen much in my part of the country. (AKA Ohio) I thought that seemed odd. It should take 1-2 months to order one from the factory. The only way they can get one faster is to get it from another dealer in a trade...

As for my car, I love it...anyone in the Cols. OH area looking for a toyota, I'll be more than happy to reference you to where I got my car. My salesman said I bought the nicest loaded Corolla they'd ever sold. And I got a great deal.

I'm so happy!
  • tbonegrltbonegrl Member Posts: 4
    I'd reccomend the Corolla S in Indigo Ink...I may be a little biased, because I have the exact same car, but I love it...you can get a lot of options and not pay an arm and a leg.
    If I go with a Corolla, I would definitely go with an Indigo Ink S model. I am having second thoughts between it and the LE although I like the black interior and fog lamps on the S. However, the Matrix looks very promising with its features, price, and styling. Don't think I'm crazy...I like funky looking cars. I'd also be willing to pay a little more for a 2002 Camry. Thanks for the advice.
    TBoneGrl: Congrats on your new car purchase! I didn't know if you had bought the S model after all... I think it looks pretty good, especially in either black or Indigo Ink.

Speaking of the Corolla S, I saw this nice Black 2001 Corolla S the other day, and the person had not only tinted the windows but also added a few stainless steel plates around the middle console, brake and gas pedals, as well as a matching stainless steel ball shifter. I thought it really added a lot of style to the car, especially when matched with the black interior and the Celica steering wheel. You're lucky to have the option of putting in a sunroof; we Canadians, although your Corolla was probably built right here, don't have access to the sunroof option, unless it's dealer-installed. I wouldn't want it though, because it would've been a bit tight for me (I'm 6'4").

I know I'm repeating myself, but I have a 2001 LE too, but I didn't go with the S model because I didn't want the black interior; my previous car had that and I wanted to make a change. I really liked the Indigo Ink with the beige interior anyway, and I didn't care much for the fog lamps. I added a spoiler and got the windows tinted. I now have 6200 kms. on my car and I'm very, very impressed with the mileage I'm getting with my car. BTW, I like the fact that you've named your car Bob; I think it adds a bit of personality or style. I called it "Suki", which means "ski" in Japanese. Weird I know, but hey it's fun.

Coolguy: I think it's great that your parents are working at the Toyota plant. Do you have any aspirations to work there as well later? How do they like the working conditions at the Ky. plant?
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know how to replace the rear speakers in a 98 Corolla VE? The grills don't seem to be removable which would mean that the rear deck would need to be removed. More of a problem with a VE, since the rear seats don't fold forward.

Some advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the questions. My father makes the engines for Camry, Sienna, and Avalon in Georgetown. He loves his job. He always has these stories about work. It's almost like he's being paid to have fun though. His "team members" as they call colleages there always goof around on break. There's a lot of danger though working there and you have to think fast to catch mistakes in engines and to avoid injury.
    My mom works in Erlanger at the North American headquarters. It's just the office facility. She regrets becoming an accountant....but other than that she likes her job. Toyota is a great company to work for. High pay and lots of vacation! Sometimes she might complain of Japanese head honchos in the office she has to deal with because they don't speak English well and it can become confusing and inefficent with allthe translating and sometimes the men can be demanding. But she likes what she does and its a really friendly environment there. I've been there and everyone is so nice. I dont' have any plans to work there. I think i might want to be an engineer of some kind. Those are needed though at Toyota so I could possibly work there. Automobile and aeronautical companies would be great to work for but I'd prefer Toyota or Lexus over any other auto company. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist I admit...seriously...I am...and I couldn't work for an American company that just builds a car and sells it for as low as it can go. I would have to work for the best...because I always do my best. See what I mean? It's somewhat hard to explain. I want to "stand behind my work" Just look at the Corolla back seat vs. the Cavalier. The Corolla's has headrests and much more work and shape appears wihle teh cavaliers is a one piece folding back seat with no headrests or shape. Hehe "Simply the best!"
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    nick29,

Yes, but I have a VE that doesn't have the split fold rear seats. I took the clips out of the rear deck but I couldn't get it to budge. The rear deck looks as though it needs to be slid forward to remove, which would mean that the rear seat would need to be removed in the case of VE models. (CE & LE models would just need to fold their seats forward).
  • zhzzhz Member Posts: 29
    stainless steel ball shifter? I guess the summer is not very hot in Canada, I assume you saw it there.
    I can't imagine how I'd shift -- I don't want to burn my hand. BTW, I'm from GA.
    Well I guess it's not that bad, considering how dark the windows were tinted. As for how hot it is here, it's currently 95 degrees F, plus with the humidity it's around 115 degrees F. This is really really hot, especially with all the humidity.
    I find it very interesting to know what goes on behind the scenes at Toyota. Do you have any interesting/fun info on the Corolla?
    Nope, no information on the Corolla. I really don't know that much but I've seen pictures of the possible 2003. It's built tall similar to an ECHO, and has some European flavor to it. The back of it looks like the previous generation Honda Accord. I like it!
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I'm thinking of getting my son his first car thought of the prism, since it's essentially a corolla but the prices are lower (people like toyotas more then chevy) what are your suggestions, any problems? do they come with airbags, abs ? and what's a good price. where are some places other than autotrader.com to look for good clean used prism/corolla? does gmac have a site that i can buy an off lease car. at 4-5 years feel it's a good time this late fall to look.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    up to four airbags (side airbags optional on 98)

hard to find ABS though
  • ninermikeninermike Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2001 Corolla S and I have been noticing that the Outside temp gauge will read 9 to 12 degrees hotter then it actually is outside. Has anybody notice this happening with there's? Do you think I should even bother having the dealer look at it? I've had the car now for 3 months now and I am really happy with it.
    If you're talking about such a difference in Celsius, then there's a problem, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I occasionally notice a slight difference in temperature between what the local radio stations say and what my car actually says. Since I believe radio stations don't monitor outside temperatures every minute, I tend to believe what the car says. The difference can also be due to your location compared to the weather station (city with asphalt everywhere compared to an airport).

On a similar note, we just went through a huge heat wave recently, where I saw my outside temperature gauge in my Corolla read 41 degrees Celsius! (I think it's approximately 115 degrees Farenheit) We're not really used to these temperatures in Canada!
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    My temp. gauge on my 2001 LE has always been 100% accurate. It has always been very consistent with the radio and other outside temp. that I have seen. Especially considering we have just had some 100 F. degree plus days here in PA. I certainly would take it back and have the dealer either repair or replace it. That is why you have the warranty. Some cars come with some minor defects.
    I noted the earlier comments on the fixed rear seat in the VE Corolla. I have a 2002 S model and went to lower the seat today to carry a long item and SURPRISE, they are fixed in the S too. Manual just shows where the controls are and does not say "if equiped." Also, still looking for the extra 12 volt outlet shown in the manual by the emergency brake. The S doesn't have it either. However, I am averaging 44mpg on my commute to work(frwy) so no complaints from me.