Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• lmgottslmgotts Member Posts: 15
    "I suspect we both wanted S6's"?

No suspicion necessary, I wanted and WANT an S6 (and know that you do too). Flat out. I'll be sorely tempted to fit myself into the S6 Avant if it comes here. I actually really love wagons (and did so before their current popularity!), but the only one available now is the 2.8. Not a big fan of the Allroad either, so I was left with the 2.7/4.2 choice in sedan body. Upon thorough test drives, the 4.2 was an easy choice for me, in spite of my "nitpicks" about it.

I do actually like the 4 seater aspect of the 4.2's rear seating, and don't even have a beef about the lack of a third head restraint, but why no 3-point belt? It's such a huge safety thing, and can't cost much. Just should have left out the lap belt entirely and *made* it a 4-seater.

My only real and actual defect it that shoulder height-adjustment thing, and boy it sure feels close to just popping into position, but I gave it a mighty good push/pull and no dice.

I agree re: the pricey add-ons. Further, I generally do not like after market performance enhancements. I'm a stocker kind of guy, and I WANT that stock S6 Sedan......pleeeeaasee....Audi, bring it to me, take all my money.....

The S4's seem pretty hot, but if I think that the A6 4.2 might as well be officially a 4-seater, then you can imagine that I'd argue making the A4 series into a 2-seater. The back seats are so tiny.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that the 4.2 is awesome, and a fantastic ride. No regrets at all. I want to get up in the middle of the night and sneak in a drive, waiting for each weekend to roll around it tough (though my lease says 15K miles/year, so I hope the excitement cools a little sometime).
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    I beg to differ with Mark, I've got Silver over Vanilla/Royal and so far, after 3 months, it still looks new. Any color, particularly light ones, will eventually develop a patina. Other drivers with Vanilla leather have reported not having too much difficulty keeping the Vanilla leather looking good. Perhaps it's a matter of standards, or maybe the leather is easier to care for now, for some reason. I plan on using Zaino's leather products as required.

I love the Silver over vanilla/royal, though many people don't. I'd definitely take a look at the combination if you can. If you find silver to be a neutral, or a setting for the interior, I think you'll like it. If you think silver is a shade of gray, and you want to match it, you might not. Noticing that you appear to be of the female persuasion, there's a good chance you would like it. Ladies in particular seem to enjoy my car. (Boy, do I like that!) But for some guys, it just doesn't have enough testosterone. Think: Light, elegant and sporty, not dark and macho.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    When I had the vanilla leather, I too loved it and took a lot of ribbing from my friends -- but the driver's seat (even with cleaning) always looked a different shade (patina perhaps?) from the other seat surfaces. The seat (in the 1999 A6) was a very grainy leather, the leather on my 2001 A6 (Melange leather) is much smoother.

I do think the Vanilla is striking and with the contrasting blue is beautiful -- if they have overcome the dirt problem of the 1999 model year -- you may like it. It is certainly different. But remember the ribbing -- all of it good natured -- that asks you why you have a bright yellow interior.

I used to smile and say "grow up."
  • tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    I'm finding this discourse amusing because the first '98 A6 that I ever drove was Santorin Blue with vanilla/royal blue interior. And, since this was at BMW of Seattle they hadn't made a particularly strong effort to clean the car up. As soon as I entered I noticed that the insert on the driver's door was quite smudged and very noticeable. And yes, it did have a very soft yellow cast to it, however have you ever looked at the interior of some late model Bimmers with supposedly "neutral" leather? It's so bright yellow it might as well be a yellow cab!

Because of my exterior color preference when I finally bought my new '99 I got Melange interior which is just fine. Certainly doesn't show the dirt except on the lower door panels, which I'm very careful to avoid scuffing. I only wish the technicians at the dealer were as equally careful.
    The contrasting cabernet trim in melange interiors is really very subtle, but no less effective. Audi has the best interior designers in the business, by far. Caddy should be so tasteful. And Bimmer? Typical German austerity.
  • lmgottslmgotts Member Posts: 15
    I have a new '01 Silver 4.2 with black interior (sport package seating).

It could be viewed as Germanic, austere, etc. but I find it very elegant and pretty.

I appreciate the general perception that lighter interior appointments may be considered "softer" and perhaps more elegant and even feminine if you will, but I think the black interior with all the wood and red lighting is pretty sublime and beautiful.

The ladies seem pretty impressed with the black interior (ahem, especially my wife!). My guess is that you can't go wrong with any color combo - we're talking about A6's remember!
  • tmanlawtmanlaw Member Posts: 17
    My new A6 2.7T is Ming Blue with Melange interior. I had actually completed the paperwork on a silver w/black, when I saw the Ming Blue w/ Melange on the back lot. It is beautiful. With black interior, the darker wood trim kind of fades away. But with the melange, the lighter wood (burled birch) stands out dramatically. The Ming Blue is stunning in sunlight, with a heavy metallic look. In some direct light it almost takes on an eggplant color (kind of a purplish tint). At night it looks almost black, and is very elegant. And the Zaino Bros. polish products really make it stand out. With all due respect to silver w/ black (I almost bought one), they are very common is Seattle. The Ming Blue is much more rare and distinctive. Its a real head turner. No matter what choice you make, you're going to love this car. I have never been as impressed with a car as I am with my A6. Good Luck.
  • tonym7tonym7 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a used A6 2.7T and found a great one today.

I've got a contact at another Audi dealership and he told me that the 2.7T have had problems with their turbochargers and are a pain to work on in general because most maintenance (besides the simplest oil changes, etc) require engine removal. This apparently has to do with the turbo-exhaust.
  • tonym7tonym7 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a used A6 2.7T and found a great one today.

I've got a contact at another Audi dealership and he told me that the 2.7T have had problems with their turbochargers and are a pain to work on in general because most maintenance (besides the simplest oil changes, etc) require engine removal. This apparently has to do with the turbo-exhaust.

Anyway, he said the 2.7T is a great car if you have alot of money for service once the free maintenance runs out.

Has anyone heard of this problem ?
  • duediligenceduediligence Member Posts: 6
    What do you think of buying above A6 for about $38K? Will dealers sell extended warranty similar to the base 50K mile full warranty at a reasonable price? Are the rumors true of high maintenance costs post warranty because of quirky turbos?
  • vsullyvsully Member Posts: 1
    Special Order
    I'm about to special order a pearl-white 2.7T. They tell me it will take about 3-4 months.

Should I wait for the 2002's? Any idea when they will come out, and what new features they will have?
    Re-Post #1060

Last year, new model year cars started showing up on the east coast around the end of July. I'm pretty sure it's getting close to the cut-off for dealers to order model year 2001 cars. If you're leasing, you will not have as a good residual as your car will be just about one model year old when you get it. If you're buying, and expect to sell or trade in less than, say, 3 or 4 years, you have the same problem. I don't know what additional features 2002 will have. Some folks have thought 2002 will have a "facelift." Further into the production cycle typically also means better debugged. But, new model year also means higher prices to balance against the lower residuals. If it were me, I'd tell the salesman to wait for '02's.
  • kv007kv007 Member Posts: 30
    RE: 2.7t reliablity.

i have a 2000 a6 2.7t with about 10K miles (silver/grey) and i LOVE the car -- i've been driving about 300 miles a week in pa/nj/ny and it's the best car i've had - smooth and fast, super comfortable, its a real joy to drive (and tremendous value for the money in my opinion compared to a 5-series or certainly an e-class!)

i've have had only minor problems - a broken seat frame on initial delivery, rotor adjustment problem, and the famous faulty fuel gauge. nothing major, just annoying stuff really and nothing too bothersome...

i'm becoming a little concerned about the reliability reports on the turbo, however. has anyone had any specific problems with their 2.7t they can share? any thoughts on extended warranties?
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    MANTENANCE / TURBOS -

What automaker in its right mind would design a car so that the engine had to be removed for repairs? I have been watching this forum and the forums at audiworld.com, and have never heard anyone say anthing about needing engine removal. You might check over there.

Meanwhile, an engine with a turbo is no more prone to repairs than any other engine, IF YOU USE THEM WITH HALF A BRAIN! A turbo spins at over 100,000 rpm with ultra-hot exhaust gases blasting it!!!! Give it some consideration.

The stories of turbo problems come from the early days of turbos where the yahoos would back out of the garage and floor it, spinning the turbos up before the oil was warm and blowing them.

When you start the engine, drive moderately for a couple of miles to give the bearings a chance to warm up before flooring it! When coming home, drive moderately for the last mile or so, to give the bearings a chance to cool down. Change the oil when you are supposed to!!! And - guess what? you won't have any turbo problems!!! I drove my '85 and '87 turbos each to over 130,000 miles with no turbo problems and few other repairs. In addition, most long-haul diesel trucks have turbos, further attesting to their reliability.
    Re-Post #1060

Wait for the 2002's ESPECIALLY if you are leasing.

2002's new features? -- every year there are some subtle features added. For example for 2002 there is supposed to be a change to the brakes: the pressure applied by the pads will be based not just on "how hard" the driver presses the brake; in addition the brakes will be applied harder (automatically) based on the "speed" that the pedal is depressed. The system will theoretically anticipate that you are in a "panic" stop if you apply the brakes very fast, regardless of how hard you press on the pedal. This will help ABS do its job better. Other trim items and options will surely be available too. Check the various WWW sites for the latest and greatest rumors.

Or check Audi World Wide Web sites -- find one in your language and "build your own A6." You will see a list of the options and features that are available in other countries. It is not unreasonable to assume that some of these features and options NOT currently available in the US may be made available or standard here in the States. Here's an "easy" one. In all other countries, front and rear parktronic is available -- currently only rear is avail on A6's -- it is therefore possible that that "option" will be added to OUR list.
    Turbo Comment

My wife and I have had four Audi Turbos between us -- and while we never backed out of the garage and floored the car, we also treated the car like any other car, nothing special (but we always always change the oil and filter about every 3 - 4K miles and we always use the best Premium fuel we can find).

Other than that, we have nothing to complain about.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    My suggestion is to wait for the 2002, for the reasons given above. If the dealer offers a huge discount for this year's model, you have a dilemma because money is a very strong motivation. If you want a photo of the 2002 model, Automobile magazine published two photos in its March issue, where the A6 is shown in a new color (baby blue metallic). Can't find any more info anywhere. I myself am waiting for the 2002 A6T. My dealer says they will be accepting orders for the 2002 models in June, for October delivery. Counting the days. Enjoy.
    Of course there IS a point at which a discount is worth more than a high residual -- with respect to a lease payment, that is.

If you are paying cash -- the "old" /new 2001 will be very attractive. If the discount is HUGE, that will lower the CAP COST and even with a lower residual will lower the lease payment. If you are buying and plan to drive the car until the wheels turn square (as my friend used to say) both options have merit -- the 2001 will be less money, and the 2002 may have more and/or better and/or safer features, options and performance. If I were to "buy" a brand new car that I planned to keep until it was essentially worthless -- I would give strong consideration to buying the 2002.

If I were retiring and using the car less than 12,000 miles a year, and money was a bit more pressing of a concern, I would probably give stronger consideration to the 2001 and perhaps get the extra Audi warranty (to 75,000 miles) and pay for it.

In my case, I say get 'em young (a 2002, especially since it will not be an "all new vehicle") and keep 'em less than 50K miles -- in other words as we say in the Information Technology business -- you will not have the latest and (theoretically the best) greatest technology if you are not making payments. And, while cars do not follow Moore's law (double the speed, power and capacity every 18 months for the same or less money) exactly -- they are technical devices and hence do provide ever greater levels of features that affect comfort, economy, performance and safety as time passes and as new model year cars come to market.

Boy, now that's got to be clear as mud!

Good luck.
    If anyone is buying an A6, or thinking about it, the attached URL contains Audi AG's press release on the revamped 2002 A6.

Remember though, the pictures and spec's are European. The U.S. car will look a little different with U.S. bumpers, and you can assume we will not have the range of choice available in Europe.

http://www.quattroclubusa.org/news/2001/newa6/

• cubanaudicubanaudi Member Posts: 17
    I have a '00 2.7T with about 8,000 miles. I have never worried once about the turbo and any problems they may have. Automophile is absolutely correct. I have had three turbocharged cars before this one, and only had turbo problems with one. My first was a hand-me-down Mercedes Turbodiesel. The third was a Saab Turbo. I didn't have a problem with either. They had a fan that would come on to cool down the turbo. The second was a Mazda 626 Turbo. That one didn't, but the owners manual said to let the engine idle for one minute before turning it off to let the turbo cool down. Sometimes I did, most of the time I didn't. The turbo lasted 60,000 miles. I traded it in all messed up. The Audi has a fan which it runs to cool down the turbos, although it doesn't operate unless the car is on, unlike the Saab, which would start at the oddest moments. (Luckily never while the hood was open). If you drive the car moderately at start up for the first few miles, and let it idle for a few seconds before you turn it off, I don't see the turbos being any sort of problem. I have followed this guideline, and never had a problem after that Mazda.

Good Luck.
  • ammecammec Member Posts: 12
    Do the new A6 2.8 Audis' have daytime running lights, or can they be programmed by the dealer? Any comments appreciated. Thanks
  • handsomejoe1handsomejoe1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm going back and forth b/w the above cars. Somebody pls help!!! IS the extra HP worth the $7,000?? Besides the speed, what's another good reason for buying the 2.7 T? Is the 2.8 "just as good"?
    The article about the A6 for 2002 on the above ref URL -- quattro club -- would make me certainly consider a new A6 with the NON turbo 3.0 V6 @ 220 HP and more torque. I was given a "loaner" A6 2.8q last week while my 2001 4.2 A6 was in for an oil change -- the 2.8 car was very sluggish -- my wife wondered if it was "safe" (I assured her it was). I would expect the new V6 while not the screamer that the 2.7T has proven to be, would be more than adequate. And, I assume the 3.0V6 will still be less money than the 2.7T.

I wouldn't be too amazed if the turbo engine (soon) is upped in power and torque (2.9T? perhaps) as the HP of the 3.0V6 is now much closer to the 2.7T. For most of us we "buy" torque but quote horsepower. The 2.7T has bags of torque at very low RPM's -- the 3.0V6, while a vast improvement over the 2.8 still will "come on" milder from a dead stop.

The improvements in the A6, as you can tell by the release are both subtle and significant, but not revolutionary (like the transition from the first gen A6 to the current gen).

If you can wait -- I would order a 2002 A6q no matter what it has under the hood, compared to the "comparable" 2001 A6q.

Here's to a 2002 S6 (stick shift) Sedan in the United States! OK, I guess I can wait till 2003, if I must.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Thanks to TimCar for the link to the article about the new A6. Markcincinnati has a valid argument for the 3.0V6 but what will decide my choice would be whether or not the 3.0 offers a stick. If it does, the 3.0 will be my next car. Goodbye, 2002 A4. Mr. Audi dealer, are you ready for my order?
  • iniaudiiniaudi Member Posts: 6
    I asked my salesman if the A6 2.7T had daytime running lights and he did not know what DRLs were. I was surprised to learn that one has to turn on and off the headlights manually on such a high end luxury car. I don't think that any of the Audis have DRLs.

iniaudi
  • kv007kv007 Member Posts: 30
    thanks for all the posts on turbo reliability-- learning a lot from you all on how to take care of the turbo.

handsomejoe1: i don't think the 2.7t is $7K more than the 2.8, i think its only about $3K or so and though it's hard to tell the way edmunds reconfigured their site(!) i think there are a few more std. features on the 2.7t. in any case, esp. w/the quattro, the car is very heavy (nearly 4000 lbs.) and i think the 2.8 is pretty underpowered...every day i drive the car, i'm glad i anted up for the turbos. not sure if this has changed, but the car definitely had bigger brakes in 2000 and (maybe??) a slightly firmer suspension. the wheels are also excellent....

daytime running lights -- i just asked my service manager this question and he called the guys in auburn hills to verify but he said it could be done at a cost of $125 or so (some extra wiring and a relay). drl is std. in canada (mandatory i believe) but not in the us on audis. not sure if it's worth it or not. my volvo has drl and i definitely miss it on the audi.

silver 2.7t/tungsten
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone seen the new Audi A4? It is virtually identical to an A6. Seems like Audi rebaged some of the A6 models and are now calling them A4's.
    Does anyone know what tire brand and style that comes on the 2001 A6 2.8? I noticed from reading different posts that the stock tires that Audi provides are from a couple of different tire makers - Goodyear, Continental, etc. Any comments appreciated. Thanks
    I don't know who's on first this year, but my '99 came with Michelin MXV4 Plus'es.
  • brucebaldwinbrucebaldwin Member Posts: 7
    I have 13,000 miles on a 2000 A6, owned 1 year and 2 months. Has anyone purchased extended warranties beyond the 3 year, 50,000 miles. We plan to drive the car 12,000 to 15,000 a year. I am not sure if the extension is worth the money.
    As kv007 points out, the cost difference between a similarly equiped 2.8 and 2.7T is much less than $7K. I believe the ONLY way to tell if the 2.7T is worth the difference, is to test drive both a couple of times. I found the performance of a '98 2.8 to be unacceptable to ME. I fell in love with the 2.7T the first time I drove it. I'm very happy with my choice of engines. However, many others are perfectly happy with 2.8. I made the mistake once of letting reviewers select a car for me, the Lexus ES300. I think reading and other research are essential to point you in the right direction, but after that, your gut and heart need to play an important role in your choice, or you'll never be happy with your car.
  • nszabonszabo Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 A6 2.8,came with michelin Mxv4 plus
    I purchased a 7/100k from Heritage (a GE company) for $1,550. We plan to keep the car into retirement and are already having a hard time putting even 12k on her a year. In essence, at our rate of miles, we will be buying four years of additional coverage.

The warranty includes a "refundable if unused" feature; includes a premium for 4WD; and also includes a $75 premium for 0 deductible. It's an exclusionary warranty in that it very clearly states upfront what is not covered (the normal wear and tear items). My servicing dealers both say that Heritage is good and reliable. My broker through whom I bought the car also says that, based upon Audi's reputation for expensive parts, an extended warranty on one is always a good investment.
  • aholaahola Member Posts: 2
    if you like driving a driver's car with performance... it has alot more than just a much better engine and included quattro.
  • ajs0828ajs0828 Member Posts: 1
    Handsome Joe: Having just completed the decision making process you're going through, I can offer some first hand advice. First, 7K is way too large a spread. 2.5K difference with both vehicles pretty fully loaded was my decision. With that, it was a no brainer. Drive the 2.8 first, then get behind the wheel of the 2.7T and you won't want to drive anything less. You only go around once. Take the turbo and love it. BTW the '02 pics suggest a visible exhaust, which I think detracts from the beauty/character of the '01 rear end.

ajs
    '01 2.7T Silver/Onyx, Tip
    Premium,Pref Lux,Cold weather, Bose,6CD
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    I sell Audis and as far as the tire situation goes, its pretty much the luck of the draw. I've seen Continental, Michelins and Goodyears.......if it makes that much of a difference to you, ask your salesman to have the wheels and tires switched from another A6. I'm sure if its a decent deal he will have it done for you.
  • hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    I believe the "original" question was whether the 2002 models would offer daytime running lights. Someone else later responded that they were surprise that a luxury vehicle would not offer an auto on/off lighting feature. However, this latter feature differs from DRLs.

Personally, I could do without DLRs, but would love to have auto on/off lights whose brightness adjust to the extent of darkness outside (with a manual override). This seems more practical while still providing an element of safety. If GM can do it in its Blazers, why not Audi with the A6?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I had this feature way back in 1990 with a Ford SHO, then again in 1994 with a Grand Cherokee Ltd. I was a little surprised that my 1998 A4 2.8 didn't have it; I thought, why would Audi leave this off on a vehicle that otherwise had so many thoughtful little touches? Then when I bought the new allroad last month, the same thought crossed my mind - this car didn't have it either. For some reason the Audi engineers don't believe this is a worthwhile feature, I guess. I suppose one possibility for this is that people might tend to become too complacent (oblivious) about the lights function, and forget to turn them on in poor weather conditions, like a snowstorm, when it's still too light out to turn them on automatically (?).
  • duediligenceduediligence Member Posts: 6
    Did any of you see the April issue of Consumer Reports? It does NOT recommend purchasing a 2001 Audi A6. Comments?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    Well I thought the furor over the Consumer Reports article had died down. I'd been watching this site for some time before I bought my A6 2.7T and when the April issue came out I was a little nervous. After a few months of Audi ownership, though, I remain confident I made the right choice. Certainly this car has to be taken care of. As tempting as it is to merge onto the highway at break neck speed I wait until the oil temperature indicator tells me I can step on it. I've had no problems with the car - if fact I couldn't be happier. I would be disappointed if some of the minor problems I've read about were to appear. I wouldn't expect them in a car of this caliber. I don't think they would raise my level of dissatisfaction to a point where my comments would contribute to a poor vehicle rating. For some, though, the level of expectation is such that any problem is totally unsatisfactory.

I've known people with cars in this league from competitors who couldn't wait for the lease to expire. One coworker was so dissatisfied with his Mercedes he traded it on a Volvo - and couldn't be happier.

As for Consumer Reports - I encourage you to read the 2001 Buying Guide. Page 170 lists the Audi A6 at the top of the upscale sedans - over Lexus, Lincoln, BMW, Saab, Volvo, Infiniti, and Acura. Pages 334 through 336 lists recalls for automobiles including various models of Acura, Mercedes, Infiniti, BMW, and Toyota/Lexus.

In my view Consumer Reports is a great guide. I've used it for years and it has definitely made me a better consumer. When I make a big investment - like with the Audi - I consider all aspects - first hand reports, test drives, dealership, written reports from a number of sources, etc. In my opinion, you'll be very happy with the Audi - performance, comfort, and reliability.
    I trust this forum and I have a certain amount of "respect" for Consumer Reports. I also mostly trust and respect Car and Driver and Car and European Car and even the Service Manager at my Audi dealer -- and I genuinely trust the salesperson who has sold me several Audis and who has been at the dealership at least 100 years (well OK maybe 12 to 15).

The passion expressed in this forum, the "generally" favorable Consumer Response words (they are there), the Car and Driver and Car and European Car write ups have done nothing but bolster my opinion (very positive) about Audis and specifically the A6.

Besides, EVERYTHING, mechanical will break eventually -- my Audis are no exception, but they are fantastic automobiles -- especially for the price!
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    Its my understanding that CR sends questionaires only to THEIR subscribers and the returned questionaires are the basis for the CR ratings. If so, it has no basis in industry wide data and is statistical baloney designed to sell magazines. I've driven many makes over 35 years, including M/B, and I've never enjoyed ANY car as much as my A6 Biturbo. 6000 miles and absolutely no problems.
  • gooddesigngooddesign Member Posts: 34
    dwpc, Consumer Reports does send surveys to subscribers to ask if the car(s) owned has had any problems that needed repair. They also ask some other questions relative to owner satisfaction and extended warranties. I just filled out my annual survey last week.

However, they do extensive testing (on cars they actually PURCHASE) using criteria that the "performance" magazines ignore such as how hard it is to change the radio station without looking, how high you have to lift a suitcase to push it into the trunk, whether or not you have to lift yourself to adjust your seat height (VWs are notorious for this), how easy it is to find the horn in an emergency, do the climate controls use knobs or sliding switches, etc. I like this kind of data when car shopping.

They touch on performance but let the hot rod mags dwell on that aspect. Basically, they let you know if there is anything inherently wrong or poorly designed in the car. The other mags tell you if it can beat a Corvette in the quarter mile.

Back to reliability; if not enough owners/subscribers respond to get sufficient data for a certain make/year, then they don't list anything about it. They are very good with the scientific statistical analysis they do get. They cannot afford to survey every single owner, and they admit this freely. They're not trying to assassinate any manufacturer with the reliability ratings. They simply report what the owners/subscribers experienced.

Clear as mud?
  • josephf2josephf2 Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 2.8 has a relatively horrible ride for a car of this price. The tires are Good year 205/55R16- standard size. Does anyone have any recommendations to inquiry about when I take it to the dealer? Could there be something wrong with the suspension or setting on the shock absorbers?

My 2000 Honda Accord sides so much better.
    I think they've slipped. They used to rate cars not just for problems, but for what they called "reliability areas." These were things that would stop a car. A6's are not as free of ALL problems as many Japanese cars. But they tend to get you where you want to go and last a long time. Unfortunately, CR now seems to weigh ANY problem as seriously as a blown engine! They no longer differentiate. The A6 can tend to have some comparatively niggling problems. They had a recall for bad fuel sender sensors. This alone would make the A6 statistically unreliable by CR's methodology. Would it keep me from wanting the car? No. My '01 2.7T hasn't had this problem. But it does have the infamous distorted windshield. I guess I could rant and rave that a $45K car shouldn't have this. And it shouldn't. But it's in an area of the windshield that isn't in the driver's line of site. I don't require perfection. The car is beautiful and very enjoyable to drive.
    Has anyone installed the rear sunshade on their Audi? I would like to know how difficult it is to install and also if it's worth the money. Any comments appreciated. Thanks
    Is this aftermarket or "Genuine Audi?"

If it is Genuine Audi, I would take it to my dealer -- Northland Porsche/Audi.

My experience -- totally new suspension I bought and had shipped from Germany, chips, tires, wheels, filters, stereos, etc etc etc is that the Dealer "does it right." Not always the first time, but always right!

So, if this is something of concern and you don't want to live with it being wrong, go to the Genuine Audi Dealer.

No, I don't work for an Audi Dealer, even tho as I write this I seem to be shilling for them.
  • nairb2nairb2 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone else had problems with their A/C? I've now had 2 separate problems. Last April, they had to readjust a leaky hose, and today I had a 0-ring seal problem. Both times I had no refridgerant left and warm air blowing out. Just wondering if this is a widespread thing, or if I'm just the unlucky one. I've also had the fuel sensor problem and the tie rod recall. Seems strange to have had this much trouble on a relatively new car. Getting worried about what happens when the warranty runs out in a year!
    Get an aftermarket warranty before 50,000 miles (or if you can get the Audi 75,000 miler, do that). Or, if the car is a lease, get a 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro.

Do not run naked (that is sans warranty) -- these cars, and I love them dearly, are breathtakingly expensive to maintain and repair out of warranty.

Been there, done that, OUCH!

Still, this is no different than a Bimmer or Mercedes or Saab or Volvo would be under similar circumstances.

Good luck.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Y'all might want to read this review in the online version of AMI AutoWorld Weekly. http://www.autoworldweekly.com/RTarchive/2001/Audi/2001Audi%20A6.htm