Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• bandit22bandit22 Member Posts: 5
    Would be a great idea, and am sure would benefit the Audi crowd.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    It is $399/ month for 39 months on an A6 2.8 2WD. Very tempting, except for the $3500 "cap reduction" payment required at the beginning. I guess if one could get them to reduce the price of the car by $3500, the car could be leased with nothing down - as all leases should be.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    If your dealer has the philosphy of SALES THROUGH SERVICE, you will get good service no matter where you bought your car.

As has been noted in previous postings, every dealer is different. A friend of mine bought his car here in Ohio and has since moved to Texas -- he feels he is getting good service at his "adopted" dealership and will probably buy his next Audi there.

Conversely, one of my co workers bought his Audi at the exact same place I bought mine and is unhappy with the dealer's service dept. The same people give me great service and he claims that his service, while friendly, has been fraught with taking the car back time and again for the same issues. I have had to return once or twice for services that were incorrectly performed -- but I have found the overall experience meets and sometimes exceeds my expectations.

Funny, the guy that has issues with the local dealership (on his 1998 A6 2.8q) had a Buick LeSabre previously -- and he claimed that American Car dealerships are "rip offs." Maybe it is personal.

In any case, you can see that the experiences even within the same dealership can vary. I would not think that dealer B would treat you less professionally because you bought your car from dealer A -- most dealers, in my experience, want to "win you over."
  • idkillarmyidkillarmy Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to purchase my first Audi in the upcoming month but I am having trouble on deciding which to get, A 1998 A8 with 50-60K miles or an 1999 A6 with 30-40k miles. The A8 is bigger more luxiourus, etc, etc but the A6 is newer and has less miles. Would anyone that has had one or both of these give me hand on which to get?
    Anyone had first hand experience with a 1998 lexus LS400? It has the Nav, which the two audi's im looking a dont. Any suggestions on the best buy here? The LS would have about 50-60k miles on it
  • noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    I would like half a dozen reply on oil consumption. I have a 2.7T which begins burning oil at 3000 miles and is a quart low by 4000. The service department tells me this is "normal".

How are other 2.7T's doing oil wise?

Thanks....
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    My 2.7T has about 6,500 miles. It has always burned little or no oil. This seems unusual. Most seem to burn some, or a lot of oil for the first 5K to 10K, based on many posts I've read.
  • nszabonszabo Member Posts: 19
    Its all up to you the A6 and A8 are very nice cars the A8 is aluminium for lower weight. would recommend quattro the A8 has it, depends on a6 model. when your that close it is up to what suits you best.
  • nyjnyj Member Posts: 1
    A NIGHTMARE. IT TOOK THEM 2 YEARS TO FIX THE FUEL GAGE. THEY KEPT DENYING THERE WAS A PROBLEM. BLAMED IT ON AMERICAN GASOLINE-YES THATS HARD TO BELIEVE BUT ITS TRUE. FINALLY HAD RECALL LAST YEAR. THE SERVICE IS AWFUL-LIKE THEY'RE DOING YOU A FAVOR BY FIXING YOUR CAR. OH AND FREE MAINTENANCE FOR 36 MONTHS EXCLUDES TIRE ROTATION. THEY CHARGE YOU $12-VERY CLASSY. ONE MORE OF MANY THINGS I CAN TELL YOU-TOOK THEM 6 MONTHS TO GET ME A NEW GLOVE BOX SINCE IT WOULDN'T OPEN. THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT ON THE THIRD TRY. I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT I WILL SPARE YOU.
    I always wondered why Consumer Reports didnt recommend The 1998 A6. Now I know. Has anyone had problems like this with their 99 A6's or their 1997 or 1998 A8's???
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    My 98' A6 has actually been relatively trouble free. It's been posted all over this board, but service varies GREATLY between dealers. I purchased my cars through a wonderful Audi/Porsche dealership and they really know what service means. They have made all the difference and even though there have been more problems than I would like to see, each one has been addressed and repaired based on my timetable and none were so severe as to distract me from the joy obtained while driving this car.

A friend had a '97 A8 and other than some problems with warping rotors, the car was pretty trouble free. All of the 4.2 A6's are using the same engine, so Audi must have felt that it was worth keeping.

My '00 A8 has been a gem. I am getting ready to get rid of my A6 next week, and while I'll miss it's cleaner, newer look, you can't beat the performance of the A8. I also needed a little more room as I'm usually taking clients out with me. An A6 4.2 had less space in the rear (lack of bench seat), so it made my choices limited, as I was definitely sticking with Audi.

Having said that, I would be a little concerned with mileage, as these cars, while wonderful to drive, can be expensive to maintain, but not out of line with any competition (MB,BMW). These are not Lexus and Acura's, they do require attention and service, but,IMHO, reward their owners with superior handling and performance.

Good luck
    The MESSAGE was very troubling to read -- and more troubling certainly to have "lived through."

Yet and however, I would still contend that this kind of service (#1) and product (#2) "issues" are #1 dealer specific and #2 stastistically rare (although any experience like this should be unique, but sadly probably is not -- and is certainly not limited to Audi or "European" brands).

You have several choices -- no matter what you should contact Audi Owner Loyalty here in the United States:

Ms. Carol Glynn
    Audi Brand Loyalty Manager
    3800 Hamlin Road
    Auburn Hills, MI 48326

My suggestion is to tone down the delivery but not the content of your message -- Ms. Glynn has been with Audi for many years and this is -- however difficult -- part of her responsibility.

She has been very gracious and instrumental in facilitating "resolution" of issues with the Product.

My other suggestion is to "vote with your dollars."

Finally, my editorial opinion:

Audi has had such a remarkable "comeback" from the near dead (i.e., Unitended Acceleration) that -- while hardly a justification -- dealer quality has become spotty. Unlike Lexus -- which established a dealer network from the ground up -- Audi supported many of its dealers through the dark days after the 60 minutes piece on the Audi 5000. Some of these dealers, IMO, would never pass muster if they were "applying for a NEW franchise."

I will not repeat, at this time, my overall outstanding dealer experiences since 1978 -- but I assure you there ARE professional Audi dealers in the US.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Audi A6 Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • gekko1gekko1 Member Posts: 4
    During the course of driving, the temperature hand in my 2001 A6 2.8 fluctuates between the 1/2 and 2/3 marks. I'm wondering if the fluctuation is normal, since most cars I've owned didn't fluctuate, and if it's normal for it to go up to 2/3, since most cars I've owned stayed around 1/2. Any feedback would be helpful.
  • tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    It's a coolant temp sensor. My '99's malfunctioned last year and it was a quick fix.
    The dealer's telling me that Audi made some adjustments for the 2001's, and that this temperature fluctuation is normal. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this also.
  • traderalex1traderalex1 Member Posts: 39
    So what did Audi do with their option packages, from 1999 to 2000? I have a 2000 A6 Avant. No auto dimming mirrors included with the sunroof package, as compared to the '99 model year. Personally, I don't care about memory seats, or an ability to change station channels on the steering wheel. But the lack of the auto dimming mirrors is annoying. It seems absurd to have a car in this price class without automatic mirrors as standard equipment. Anybody share similar thoughts? I assume this was a marketing strategy to decontent the car, and oblige customers so motivated to spend quite a bit more $$. If you desire automatic mirrors from the 2000 model year onwards, the price equation is now quite a bit different compared to '99. By the time you figure for the premium package, the sunroof package, and the leather, you will end up spending close to $3K more compared to a '99 model that would be very similarly equipped, sans the Xenon lights.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    My '01 2.7T pegs at 1/2 and stays there with about 6700 miles. I find the dealer's explanation very suspect. If it runs sometimes at 1/2 and then sometimes edges up to 2/3, that would concern me. If it bounces between the two while you're driving, I'd think that has to be sensor/gauge related.
  • portedported Member Posts: 16
    When taking my '99 A6 in for a malfunctioning window (warranty), the dealer told me there was a second recall on the gas gauge, to check the recall. Something about gold-plated connectors corroding, they switched to silver.

Love the car. (Volcano black/melange.) I hope the window is not a forebearer of things to come. First real problem (15K miles.)

Anyone heard this?

Ported
  • amarchanamarchan Member Posts: 23
    I am in my second Audi ('98 A4, '01 A6 2.7T) and in both the needle stays dead center. Fluctuation can be due to a faulty (or absent) thermostat or the temperature sensor has gone haywire. When it fluctuates, is there any correlation to speed, traffic, etc.? If there is no correlation (e.g. not going up in bumper-to-bumper traffic but changing at steady highway speeds) it is more likely to be a bad sensor.
    The temperature hand tends to fluctuate more in stop and go traffic. In straight driving it moves some, but doesn't go as high. The service dept at the dealer is telling me the've done a full diagnosis and this is absolutely normal, but I'd like an independent confirmation.
  • radpkradpk Member Posts: 3
    I have a '99 A6 quattro that has had it's share of problems. I'd say it's been in the shop more than 15 times over the last 26 months. I even looked into invoking the lemon law. Along with the usual gas gauge problem, I've had a host of other mechanical troubles with the car, including the transmission, steering, brakes, leaking oil. I will say, however, the service department has improved dramatically over those months after having gone trough two service managers. The first few times I took the car in I swore I would never buy another Audi. The dealership is only 4 miles away which helps but they don't provide a loaner which is a hassel. Overall, if I had to do over again, I probably would not purchase it. My wife, who mostly drives the car, certainly would not. The one saving grace of the car is it's interior. The classiest around. Puts Jaguar interiors to shame. Just my 2cents worth.
    I hope that Audi has been made aware of your problems -- not just at the dealer level or this town hall message board (yet, both are very important). You must make every attempt to vote with your dollars and inform the Company, Audi of America, of your issues.

If you are so disenfranchised that that is not an option, you of course will vote with your dollars the next time you don't buy an Audi product. But, if you like the Audi brand enough, you will communicate with Audi of America's Carol Glynn who's mission is to help retain Audi owners and "make" them loyal. She is your advocate and will help those who communicate clearly and without a mean spirit.

Audi makes mechanical devices and they aren't perfect -- yet they do want to have "delighted" customers.

This has been my experience over the course of some 24 Audis since 1978.
    I "complained" when my 2001 A6 4.2 w/sport package came in with Pirelli P6000 tires, I had hoped for Dunlop SP9000's. This was late December 2000. I passed through the Cincinnati winter which generally is cold but not often "snowed in." Cincinnati was "designed" for Ultra High Performance All Season Tires, in my opinion. I had always assumed that UHP AS tires were a contradiction of terms. I now hope I am wrong. After 8,000 miles, I have "given up" on my P6000's as the noisiest tire I have ever known -- considering that it's performance, while good, is "just good."

I was all set to push the "add to shopping cart" button for four new SP9000's when I began using the "comparison" shopping feature of www.tirerack.com -- I ended up ordering four Yokohama AVS db (Ultra High Performance All Season 255 x 40 x 17"). They will be installed on Thursday along with brand new brake rotors courtesy of Audi.

As you may recall, I also had a 2000 A6 4.2 (17" wheels, no sport) -- which in 23,000 miles went through three sets of rotors -- warpage.

Although I readily admit to fast driving on the freeways, I rarely have to "challenge" the brakes. These brakes, thy name is vibrate.

OK, so it was a bad year for brake rotors --- 2000 -- I get my new 2001 A6 4.2 w/sport and right away the brakes are better. Then, at 5,000 miles, a hint of vibration, especially in the rain. Now, at 8,000 miles, between the tire roar and the brake shudder -- well, here we go again.

I do not fault Audi AG for the Pirelli Tires -- luck of the draw, I say. Although I would like to be able to specify the tires on a car that I have to wait a minimum of four months to get after placing the order -- but that is another story.

I do not fault Audi AG for having a "warp prone" rotor -- for the first year of production. So, I wrote the dealer a letter informing him that I plan to purchase a new set of brakes from APR (www.goapr.com) after reading in the 2001 Autoweek Buying guide that their 2001 A6 4.2 also had "warped rotors." I determine that if my two A6 4.2's and their A6 4.2 all seem to have the same problems with the brakes that it is not entirely "driver induced" -- if at all.

Indeed, when I speak to the service manager of my Audi Dealer, he says if I purchase the brand new non-Audi rotors (cross drilled), that he will credit me the Audi cost against the aftermarket cost. But, he added, my car was actually produced in late September 2000 (even though it did not get to the US until December) and that since then the rotor part number has changed -- "unofficially" in response to driveability (NOT safety) issues caused by the old [warp prone, my words] rotors.

So, this Thursday, I will have four new Yokohama AVS db tires, and new brakes -- the latter courtesy of Audi.

I will report to this board, the difference in performance, handling and noise of the new shoes and the stopping and shuddering quailities of the new stoppers.

Once again, Audi has done two things: created a problem, crummy tires and less than stellar brakes; and, created a solution, new brakes and new tires (although the tires are "on me" as there is not really any problem with the "old tires" other than the fact that the noisiest snow tires I have ever had would be quieter than the Pirelli P6000's).

I am looking forward to an improvement in performance.

In all fairness to Audi, I also have read several postings lamenting the variety of experiences with tires (and to a certain extent, brakes) of other venerable German brands, such as BMW and Mercedes and, of course VW.

Wish me luck!
    About the only issue I may question about my 2000 A6 Avant is the possibility of a brake issue.
    13,000 miles, they begin to squeal as the vehicle begins to roll to a stop from its last few mph of momentum. The pedal seems to travel farther down than most other cars I have driven. Other than that, the brakes do work. Anyone have similar experiences?

From the posts I have read, and what I hear in the street, there may be an issue with a lot of 2.7T's out there, oil burning, etc. I have seen a far number of used ones for sale locally, relatively low mileage, at sharp discounts.

I have heard the windows story, too. In particular, the worst case if from a colleague who resides in the Netherlands. He bought one of the first new generation A6's in '98. Told me that he had a constant electrical problem, in which both rear windows would suddenly open when the car reached cruising speeds. The windows could be closed only by a quick trip to the dealer. Quite annoying in rain storms with beige leather. Multiple attempts, but the Dutch dealer could never fix the problem with finality. Finally, my friend gave up and returned the car half way through his lease.
    I would glady accept a squeaking brake, I will not tolerate a shuddering brake, however. I envy you if all you have is a bit of squeak -- I had the same problem on a1997 A8 and the dealer put some "squeak fixer" or shim in the brake system and it all but cured it -- 97% gone, I'd say.

See my post re -- A6 4.2 rotor warpage. New part number to the rescue!
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    Based my experience with my last two vehicles (non-Audi), 13,000 miles is not out of the realm of "normal" brake wear, particularly if you do a lot of city driving. Rotor warpage too is now a common ailment of environmentally friendly brakes. Brake disks are now lighter to save weight, and use pad materials that are less resistant to heat. However, the laws of physics haven't changed with regard to friction and heat transfer. This an industry-wide problem.

[7500 miles on my 2.7T; zero problems, just comfort and fun.]
  • breen2breen2 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a '98 A6 with 50,000 miles. We are hearing about some problems with the car. We want a reliable car that will last at least for 4 years and that won't cost a lot of money to maintain.

Is the A6 reliable? Is there any other car you recommend?????

I would like to get it soon. If you have any advice or warning, Please write!!!
  • cwandersoncwanderson Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the A6 2.7T. The dealer says the there are NO changes for the 2002 model year. This seems unlikely. So what's new for 2002? Any articles out there on this? Also, what is a good source for aftermarket performance/body trim parts. Thanks!
    This morning, in Cincinnati -- which means I do not know if it is a National Sales Incentive -- I heard that a NEW 2001.5 VW Passat with the 1.8t engine and the "monsoon" sound system was available for a 39 month lease program of $279/month. Out of pocket costs were some number like $1600 -- which includes a $300 refundable sec dep. Of course the first month's payment would be required making your initial check amount about $1,900. Not a bad deal.

I love quattro's, but starting out with 50,000 miles on a 1998 A6 -- unless you get an extended warranty (and a really good one) -- would scare me, and I am fearless (and I am a BIG Audi fan).

Unless you need all wheel drive, I would seriously consider the Passat -- at this lease price point. Of course there may be some good deals on A4's too (but the Passat is closer to the A6 in rear seat leg room).

Just a thought.
    If you go to the Audi germany website (www.audi.de), you can some good ideas as to what will be new for 2002 in North America, as most of our "new to market" features are already on the street in Europe. It looks like they gave the A6 a few cosmetic changes, including slightly reworked lights, and a front air dam that supposedly resembles the double grill look found on the A8. I recall reading, too, that the chasis has been stiffened to improve both drivability and durability. I think you can find some English language links from that site, if you can't figure out the German. The range of engine choices for the A6 over there, are quite amazing. A couple different turbo diesels. And the budget minded driver can actually choose a 1.8 liter gas engine, but I can't imagine how well that will work in a car of this weight. There are also a number of pics of the 2002 A4, which has already been on the streets of Germany for quite a while. I just returned from a trip there, the new A4 is a nice looking car. I really had the impression that it looked just like a smaller A6. The same body, but on a shorter wheelbase.
    Go to http://www.quattroclubusa.org/ and click on the article "New Look for the Audi A6" --

in fact this might work to go to the article directly directly:

http://www.quattroclubusa.org/news/2001/newa6/index2.shtml

There are changes for the 2002 -- and you CAN order a 2002 A6 2.7t NOW. But it will take a few months for it to come in.

Nothing here is meant to disparage the 2001 A6 2.7t. But, if you can wait, I would go for the 2002 based on the write up at the above URL.

Consider where we are in the model year. Since the 2002 models will start appearing in September, that Passat is more like a 2001.75 with an appropriate late-in-the-year discount.
    Agree completely with your comments about the mid year Passat dwpc -- but the response was more of an alternative suggestion for/to a used '98 A6 with 50,000+ miles on it versus a new Passat that was apparently at a good lease price.

The press has been quite kind to the NEW Passat -- at least the 3 articles I have read.

I would, as I said, have some concern$ about a used '98 Audi A6 running bare (without any protection package -- the Audi Advantage is gone as of 50k miles).
    Have you investigated extended warranties? Some are supposed to be quite good. The A6 is a lot more car than the Passat anyway you look at it. The downside is that '98 was the first model year for the new A6 so there's no sample for true long term performance. Audis genrally seem to hold up well though.
  • socal3socal3 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a new car and I really like the A6 2.7t. A dealer has two brand new 2000 2.7t on his lot for sale(obviously this dealer is feeling the effects of a slowing economy). Any of you have an opinion on what would be the fair price? Another dealer has offered to sell me any new 2001 A6 for $250 above invoice. Finally, do any of you have an opinion regarding what will be the demand and pricing of the 2002 A6.
  • sandeckisandecki Member Posts: 29
    I know they are two different animals, but for pretty much same money I am bouncing back and forth.

Audi worries me more(reliability) although I heard also many issues with 3 series Beemers.

I am looking for fun to drive, but something that I might want to keep for longer than warranty period. Space is at some consideration, but not as much.

Also, what is a decent lease payment on a 2.7T(loaded, no sport package) currently with no $s down and 10k/yr?

Thanks For Your Help
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I used to sell BMW's. I'd take the bimmer every time. Sorry Audinuts.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    After owning my A6 for 18 months and after three fuel sending unit failures and all the hasles that occured, I dump it. I had no choice but to assert the lemon law and I won.

To my dismay, I received another recall notice for the same issue for the A6. Its funny, through the lemon law proceeding Audi kept saying that the problem was fixed after their last recall. In fact it wasn't. Audi has finally come to terms and admit that they have a current problem. Its too late for me and the A6 was dumped. I am happy I did.

With the lemon law proceeds bought an MDX and I'm happy with it so far. Japanese make a more reliable cars than the Euro's do. Audi needs to get its act together or customers will be dropping out like flys. Like me. Audi is like Ford. Don't you think so.
    Would you rather have an apple or an orange? The comparison between these two vehicles makes that much sense -- the only similarity is they both have four wheels and an engine.

This is not meant to disparage either vehicle -- if you live where there is very little weather, or your only concern is dry pavement and autobahn perfect roads go BMW. If you live where there is weather or low coefficient of friction from time to time, quattro has merit.

Having myself had both BMW's and Audis, I became convinced of the Audi route one November day here in southern Ohio -- when all the roads became imassable due to a snow/ice storm. The BMW was helpless and hapless -- I switched that very weekend to quattro and haven't looked back since -- even tho I still test drive BMW's every time I buy a new car.

Apple or Orange -- you choose.
    A6 2.7T6M - Temp is straight up, oil is 225. If
    your temperature moves up significantly and oil
    stays put then it's the temp sender.
    As markcincinnati said - apple or orange. I'll
    give my rational:

Do you often have 2 or 3 passengers - A6
    Do you have snow/ice - A6
    Do you enjoy taking corners at high speeds - BMW
    I have not driven the 330i but I suspect it has
    better off-the-line acceleration - ?

1 & 2 makes it the A6-2.7T for me.
    See www.audiworld.com, there is a write-up there.
    Some high lights:
    Front suspension is aluminum (35% lighter)
    Stiffened chassis
    Thicker front door windows (reduced air noise)

If you're interested in handling, then the 2002.
    I now add to the equation the notion of the Bimmer 3 series with All Wheel Drive -- this makes the comparison a little more realistic. Have you looked at this option?

The 2.7T -- especially with the 6spd -- is fractionally quicker, if I read my "mfg data" correctly. But that too is not a reason to choose one vs the other -- they are close.

It seems to me that the A6 for 2002 and the 5 series for 2002 are body and dimensions more in the same class than the comparison you suggest. The 3 series BMW and the [new] A4 are perhaps more appropriate for comparison. My co worker just test drove a new 530 and a new 2.7T -- he said the Audi was quicker, quieter and (with the sport package on the Audi) handled "no differently."

The BMW, perhaps closer to the limit, probably does handle better due to the fact that it is rear wheel drive and has more neutral weight bias -- the Audi is a little nose heavy. Many people never drive near the limit and probably most people (espeically in urban areas) can't drive near the limit due to traffic congestion. Even in our relatively small city of Cincinnati, it is difficult to drive, shall we say, aggessively -- the exception being that it is possible to drive 10 - 25 miles an hour above the speed limit on the interstate highways that circle and cut through the city.

The BMW / Audi comparison is further complicated by the cost factor. A BMW 530 compared to an Audi 2.7T -- based solely on lease payments or "money" -- finds the Audi several hundred dollars a month less. Indeed it is more money comparable to compare an Audi 4.2 to a BMW 530.

Perhaps you are comparing an Audi A6 body size to a BMW 3 series due to the fact that a 330 can be had for close to the same money as the A6 2.7T, even tho it would appear that Audi markets the A6 to prospective 5 series customers, and vice versa.

Both of the cars you are looking at are good cars -- probably for most of us in this town hall, though, the Audi A6 2.7T is very hard to beat.
  • bandit22bandit22 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everybody, had the 2.7 in yesterday for change of rotors - warped, and they took care of the latest recall + a tank of gas! Just for the record what tire pressures are we running on for the 2.7t? I have 215x16 and do 36 all around. Is this the consensus?
    My 2001 A6 4.2 @ 8,000 miles is at the dealer as I write this for new rotors (Audi Advantage), the LH (fuel sending unit) campaign (aka no charge of course) and four new 255 x 40 x 17" Yokohama AVS db tires (www.tirerack.com -- my cost of course), and an all wheel alignment (Audi Advantage).

The warped rotors have been replaced by a New Part Number, hopefully indicating a more resiliant rotor compound. If these warp, I will go to www.goapr.com and buy a set of cross drilled rotors etc. -- probably front AND rear.

Will give a full report on the tires and brakes -- or more than one report as performance and drivability changes merit.
    Took a trip from Chapel Hill, NC to Tampa, FL and picked up a 1997 Audi A8 with 54000 miles on it. It is almost impossible for me to describe how much i love this car. I have only had for a day but the 12 hour drive has allowed me to get to know it a little. I need to do some in-depth reading in the manual to figure out how to work everything because it is alot more complex than my Acura TL. One thing Im wondering If I could do to it is get some xenon bulbs put in. Is that possible? I had them on my TL and it is something I would like to have on the A8. The car is in perfect condition and I got it for a great price. Anyone had any bad experiences with the 97 A8?
    Yes you can have Xenon's put in -- open your check book wide, very very wide. It is a lot more than bulbs, believe me.

I too had a 1997 A8 -- didn't have tiptronic. Didn't have too many problems -- power steering column had to be replaced twice (free). Seals on all four wheels replaced, free (smelled awful).

I put an S8 suspension on it, kept it 48,000 miles -- loved the car -- could go all day real fast and make you feel good doing it.

Wish I had an S8 from time to time -- hoping for an S6 (2003 possibly AOA?).

Have a blast.
  • duediligenceduediligence Member Posts: 6
    I opened my newspaper this morning and was shocked to find an ad sponsored by all the Audi dealers in the Chicago area. The ad is for a special lease promotion of $499/month lease (39 months)for 2.7Ts. I just leased a similar Audi less than 3 weeks ago for $620/month (which was a good deal at the time).

I stopped by the dealer today and talked to the GM about what he could do for me on the economics. He said he has already had 3 other similar inquiries today from other recent buyers.
    He said he would have to check with Audi's home office to see if they would make any adjustments to my lease. Does anyone else have the same issue? How do you suggest proceeding? Write to the Audi Brand Loyalty Manager, etc.?
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    Rode great, comfortable seats, impressive acceleration, attractive styling, huge trunk.
    I asked the owner if he liked it. He said it was great to drive and disappointing to own.
    Previously, the ABS warning light went on and it took the dealer 8 days of trial and error part replacements to fix it (with no loaner car and he's only get 10K miles now). And when he got it back the dashboard rattled. And that was the second time in the shop.
    That was enough to stop my interest in it.