Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    $2K over isn't bad this time of year. I paid $1700 over this past January. Some people have said they've ordered cars for $1K, but that will vary by dealer and region. If you don't want to pay the extra $500, all you can do is walk away, and see if they call you. I don't understand how the other factors you mention should bear upon what markup you agree to pay. My understanding is that you'll never do well on a trade-in, and selling it privately will net you more money. (But with more hassle.) $800 sounds steep for shipping, but I've never looked into it.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    To Datadog, can you name the dealer? My local dealer in the NY-LI area is unmoved from a 5K mark-up over invoice. Thanks in advance.
  • datadogdatadog Member Posts: 27
    I ended up at $1,800 over invoice, and I'm in effect using the $800 loyalty incentive for the shipping from NJ. As far as $800 for shipping it is probably in line considering they are transporting a single car. I shipped a '62 Lincoln Convertible from Virginia to LA for $1,700, but they had a truck full. The $13,500 for the A4 doesn't seem to be too far out of whack, and I surely don't want to try to sell it myself.

Has anyone seen at any dealers a 2.7T with the six-speed? I'm still having some reservations about the tip, but I'm justifying it with the following: it really is pretty much fun with the steering wheel mounted shift buttons; my wife can drive it, better resale, and to be happy with the 6 speed I think I would end up having to put in a short shift kit. I couldn't find a six-speed anyway.

mario - based on the numbers I've been working with 5K over invoice is over sticker too. Unless you want to drive (fly) to Virginia I don't know how much the local dealer could help, but with that kind of mark-up you could justify the expense.

I am supposed to pick the car up next Wednesday. I have to drive to Philadelphia on Mon-Tues, thought I would put the miles on the A4.
    I don't know how close you are to North NJ, but there's a dealer in Paramus named Jack Daniels. While I bought a car from a local dealer, they had quoted $1100 compared to the $1700 I paid. They do volume, and I know that for '01 quite a few buyers got good prices from them. It's a lot closer than Virginia. You might want to give them a call, and see what's going on.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    datadog - I think you got a pretty good deal on the car. That sounds about where I settled for my '01 in February. I had a tough time finding 6 speeds then, too. A few dealers had one. One dealer was using an '00 w/6 speed as a demo. My dealer (Park Audi in Lawrence, MA) was excellent. He suggested that he would look around for what I wanted and call when he found it. A week later he called to say he found what I was looking for except for the color (Cashmere Grey) which I hadn't considered, or even looked for when I was shopping. He "shopped" around the northeast (metro NY and north) and was having the car shipped at his own risk directly from the unloading dock (the car was in customs) to his site instead of the dealer it was destined for. About a week or 10 days after that he called to say he had the car and would hold it for me until I could come by. (Still no deposit). The following Saturday I drove over and made an offer. We agreed on the price, I left a deposit, and was gone in less than 20 minutes. A few days later I went back to complete the deal and drive away. On a two tier scale the equipment was more important to me than the color so I went with for it. Very glad I did. Very happy with the color.
  • grogsuzgrogsuz Member Posts: 14
    After negotiating price on '02 4.2 Crystal blue metallic some 3+ weeks ago my dealer found and put a hold on said car.I've got the VIN,the dealer has my deposit and AoA has my car presumably in port.Very frustrating to say the least.
    Can't wait to make the switch from GS400 to an A6.
  • peteri1peteri1 Member Posts: 21
    I understand. Visited Schaumburg Audi near Chicago this AM. My GS400 (99) lease is up in May. I want a 4.2 loaded ($55,535 sticker) in either Crystal Blue/Platinum, Silver/Platinum or Pearlescent White/Ebony. They said if I truly wanted a 4.2A6 "loaded" I'd need to order in December, to make sure it made the January order so I'd have it late May. Interesting, today (11/3) the A6 4.2 residuals are pegged at 56%, with the short wheelbase A8 at 46%!!

Cockpit seems more snug than the GS400, but I think the back is a little roomier. Wish they had the Ashton Gray on the 4.2 as opposed to the S6 Avant.
  • morphiemorphie Member Posts: 95
    My wife's new A6 is just about to hit the 2,000 mile mark. I am pleased to report that we have experienced no problems, with the exception of a need to re-balance a wheel due to a thrown weight. This is a significant improvement over her previous A6 (1999). Further, even though she enjoyed her prior A6, she feels that the 2002 handles better, is quieter, undeniably faster and more "solid" feeling. There you have it: expert analysis, based upon extensive personal experience.

She also appears to be more enamored of the vehicle than she is of me. C'est la vie.
  • gs4rx3gs4rx3 Member Posts: 25
    I need your help. I just noticed tonight that the open storage space under the armrest in my '00 4.2 has no tray in it. I am fairly confident it had a tray previously. Now it is hard plastic with a couple holes I can see through to some bolts. Does the tray come out easily? Is it just plastic? I'm worried that the car wash employees may have heisted it. Why anyone would want it beats me. Last, any thoughts on what it costs to replace it?

Side note: good to see other GS400 owners are switching to quattro. You'll especially love it during the next 5 months!
    Just wondering...I posted the previous questions almost 4 days ago and haven't seen any responses. Where is everyone?
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    I've been having fun doing perfomance upgrades to my 4.2 (all somewhat invisible). The car gets better every day.
    I took delivery of a '02 2.7T tip with the sport package and all the goodies on Tuesday. What a car. Ming blue with beige interior. It's a great color combination, but I know that I am setting myself up with a lot of work to keep both the inside and outside in shape. With the sport package and the Continental SportContact 2's it is a totally different feel than the non-sport '98 A4 that I had. You can certainly feel the road, but I wouldn't begin to say it is harsh. With only 150 miles I just haven't pushed it in any manner yet.

So far the tiptronic is taking some getting used to. In the regular automatic mode it is as good as any I have ever driven. In the tip mode some of the time I am reaching for the shift lever and others using the steering wheel buttons. I have not even used the sport mode yet. It's just going to take some time to figure out what to use and when. With the tip you can either be in regular or sport automatic mode, or if you are in tip mode you can shift two different ways. I obviously didn't have all those choices with a 5-speed.

The xenons are unbelievable, especially with all the deer running around here this time of year. I never would have noticed with regular headlights, but now I feel the need to upgrade the front fogs.

Minor gripes - EVERYTHING is lit up red at night. Every switch, knob, button in the car. I really don’t like the billboard in the instrument cluster telling you to put your foot on the brake before shifting into gear (anyone know how to disable that?). It already has the "foot" light on the shifter. Also, the interior footwell lights only come on in the car on the side that you open the door. But like I said - minor gripes. Does the steering wheel seem small?? I sure liked the 3-spoke sport wheel in my A4.

I really can't wait to put a few more miles on this so I can push it around. How many would you all suggest before I feel free to run it out?

Also, the summer high performance tires need to come off really soon. What do you all like better – the Yoko avs db’s or the Dunlop SP5000’s? I don’t need a real winter tire – I have a truck if it gets really nasty. At first I didn’t like the BBS wheels, but they have grown on me in the last few days. I still may get a set of Ronal R-28’s to run with the all seasons.

One more question – that beige carpet needs some all season mats – the audi store online or clair?

I've been reading here and audiworld considering some upgrades. Tires first by necessity, but then who knows? The sport supsension takes care of a lot of the upgrades that are considered first.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    Sounds like a great car. What was the pricing if you don't mind? We're looking at a '02 3.0 with all options other than nav for about $2k over invoice. Based on other postings I believe that is reasonable but any input would be appreciated.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    But, since I haven't used them in "weather" I will not vouch for their winter prowess -- they are supposed to be good for places (like southern Ohio) where the winters from a snowfall standpoint are mild.

My tire store guy says check out the Falken's Zeiz All season high performance.

Beats me.
    After what seems like eons,my Crystal blue 4.2 finally found its way to the dealer and will be flatbedded to my doorstep this coming Monday.
    Hope to share my first impressions after reality sets in.
  • jkendalljkendall Member Posts: 30
    I, too took delivery of a 2.7T sport on 10/15. Now have 1150 miles on it. I think the book says to baby it until you get over 1k miles on it. I was exceptionally careful with the brakes and the throttle, and it seems to have paid off. The thing will fly, if it won't talk, but be patient with the foot for a while. I did replace the Conti Contact 2's with Yoko AVS dB's and am very pleased, altho I had to almost give away the Conti's (got only $40 each for them!). They are definitely quieter and do traction really well in a rainstorm we had in South Central Indiana about three weeks ago.

I picked up the car the evening before our moving van came with a huge amount of furniture to our 'new' home in Indiana, so I didn't get to go to bed with the manual, but have looked up stuff in it. There's a lot to be learned about all the features.

Mine is Amulet Red with Ecru interior. That's my only complaint. The Red is too red compared to the Tornado Red from last year, and the Ecru is lighter than I would like. Otherwise, this is more fun, secure, quiet, and thrilling than any car I've ever had, even 911s. I absolutely love it.

jk
    Beg to differ. Think Amulet is MUCH nicer than Tornado Red. Car looks much richer. Dealers had trouble moving the Tornado. Have only seen pix of ecru, but thought it looked great and would be smashing with Amulet. Got vanilla/royal (very light) in my silver car, and while I had my doubts at first, it keeps looking better and better. Also, not ANOTHER sivler/black.

I think Clair for mats. Faster, cheaper.
    I talked with Ralph at Northland and he told me the story of how you picked up your car. I think it would be a good story to share with the group. I can't do it justice.

When I heard it, I thought it was a unique way to pick up a new car.

And, if Ralph isn't the horizontal salesperson, I don't know who is. I have to remind him that now is the time to ask for the sale -- he is sooo low pressure.

Anyway, if I may press upon you to share your story. . . .
    Jim, just checked AoA site for '02 interior colors. Saw beige and vanilla/ebony as '02 choices for Amulet. I suspect you got beige, is this correct? Think it looks wonderful with the Amulet. Also really like the Amulet over vanilla/ebony. Think both are really sharp, distinctive choices.
  • jkendalljkendall Member Posts: 30
    Yes, picking the car up was a real saga. I had sold my Toyota Land Cruiser a couple weeks earlier, and rented a rent a wreck for the few days before I went to Cincy.

Having been a newcomer to the community, I didn't have the guts to ask someone I hardly knew to take me to Cincy. My spouse was in Texas, loading the van to bring all our furniture, etc. to Indiana, so I was rather alone.

I couldn't get the rent a wreck guy to take me the 100 miles to Cincy, Enterprise was going to charge me an arm and a leg, so I TOOK A GREYHOUND! I went from Columbus, IN to Indy, (very interesting bus station!), and then on to Cincy. I couldn't get the bus driver and Ralph to figure an easy place for him to pick me up to avoid his having to go all the way downtown.

I'm sure I appeared to have been a Beverly Hillbilly to the dealership, but my money was just as good as the next guy's. I was a bit amused myself. My wife used to broker cars in Texas, and suggested I have Ralph pick me up or deliver the car to Indiana, but I didn't want anyone else to drive my car first!

He came down to the station in an A8 with 18k miles on it. I was so impressed with it, I almost asked to lease it instead of the A6! It was so luxurious.
    Meanwhile, I'm on my cell phone trying to get the best deal on a lease from my credit union. The car was so new they didn't have residuals, and kept calling me. Finally, Audi Finance gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. Ralph was great thruout the whole ordeal, even showed me his '92 911 with 30k, giving me the opportunity to buy it instead. I was tempted, but wanted the luxury of the A6.

To top it all off, I drove out of the dealership into the late afternoon setting sun onto unfamiliar hiways with a new car. I was very anxious 'cause I couldn't read the overhead signs on the freeway with the sun right into my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, timcar, I love the car. The darkness of the red will show more dirt, and the Ecru's lightness will, too. I had planned to use a leather treatment to sort of 'seal' the leather from fine dirt, but it still hasn't been done. You can see a patina of dirt in the driver's seat already, but with the move, both Becky and I moving from our respective places into a 'new' house, combined with the responsibilities of my job, I just haven't done it yet.

BTW, I ordered the Audi WeatherTech type mats. They cost 108.95 delivered, but are much better than regular weathertech mats, and the clay color is quite nice in the car. AND, the car is a thrill to drive!

jk
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Saw your Nemo Blue 4.2 at Northland this week. Beatiful car.I was in to get a replacement remote for my A4. My 18 year old son pressed me to take the black on black '00 4.2 for a test drive. I was afraid if I did there would be no going back.
    I need your help. I just noticed this week that the open storage space under the armrest in my '00 4.2 has no tray in it. I am fairly confident it had a tray previously. Now it is hard plastic with a couple holes I can see through to some bolts. Does the tray come out easily? Is it just plastic? I'm worried that the car wash employees may have heisted it. Why anyone would want it beats me. Last, any thoughts on what it costs to replace it?

Can someone please take a look at their A6 and help me out? I don't know anyone else who owns one where I live. Thanks.
  • jg37jg37 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone explain "turbo lag"?

My 2001 2.7T seems to hesitate off the blocks and "revs" to 3500 before shifting. Once underway, its fine and doesn't hesitate whether I'm going 20 or 80.

I didn't notice it when I test drove another 2.7T.

Is this normal or should I be concerned. Also, I've heard it takes the car a while to adapt to my driving style. Is this true and how long does it take. Any thoughts?
    There is a tray under the armrest between the two fron seats in my '01 A6 4.2. It is plastic and matches the rest of the interior and I am fairly certain that it can be ordered from your Audi dealer -- my advice, pick up the phone and ask the parts guy how much it will cost and when it will come in.

And, FYI my A6 has the Navigation package but the only thing that does is get rid of a cupholder as I recall (the cupholder is replaced with the buttons and rotary switch that controls the nav system.

If the car wash people lifted it -- and you did not notice it at the time -- you may be out of luck as far as any claim against the carwash. But you will never know until you ask.

Hope this helps.

And, what a great story about the bus trip -- it was unique for Ralph too. And yes the A8 is great -- but I think you will enjoy your 2.7T so much that you will have no regrets.
    1. The small rectangular storage tray under the hand brake in my 2.7T is lined with felt like material. From what you are describing, it sounds likely this material is a tub that fits in what you are seeing. I suspect the screws may be involved in holding it in place, though I've never inspected it closely. I have never tried to remove the liner, (If that's what it is.) so I don't know if it will come out easily, but I doubt it. I can't imagine why anyone would want to steal this though, as it can't be worth anything, or have any use except that for which it's intended. Unless you're sure that this felt liner was in place, could it possible that this was forgotten when it was built, or removed in error by the dealer? (Perhaps borrowed to replace one that was broken in another car, or broken during prep. in some way and not replaced?) I suspect if you just bring it to their attention, they'd be happy to replace it for you.

2. There was a major discussion on turbo-lag on this board a several weeks ago. The throttle-by-wire that controls boost and the adaptive 5-speed auto that interacts with the ECU (Engine Control Unit) effect any turbo-lag that might exist with the 2.7T engine. Simplistically, all these things interact, and dependent on circumstances, can cause lag from a standing start. My guess is that what you are experiencing is being caused by the Tip, and not turbo-lag. At less than 80% throttle application, the Tip is programmed to shift out of 1st at only 3mph. At moderate throttle applications, there is often a lurch when this happens as it falls of the torque curve. If your car is completely warmed up, and you drive it hard for about 20 minutes, try it again. I think you may notice a different response.

3. Jim, I'm not sure if you've got vanilla leather, or beige. I can't find ecru as an option. My '01 2.7T has vanilla (very light) with calfskin hides. I use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner on it when I feel like it and it pretty much looks new after 14K. I don't know what the type of leather is in your car, but I do know hides can differ among different cars. I would not personally choose a leather "treatment," as at best I suspect it would be useless, and at worst might seal the leather and not allow it to breath.
    Took a look at the compartment under the parking brake lever, and only the bottom is felt. The sides are just smooth plastic. No screw holes are visible, and I am just 100% certain that no one could remove anything without tools. Suspect it may have been damaged in transit, and someone never completed the repair.
  • morphiemorphie Member Posts: 95
    I concur with Tim that the "lag" you are experiencing probably emanates from either tiptronic electronics, or some other part of the chip system. Personally, in either a 2.7T or an Allroad, I have never experienced what used to be generically defined as "turbo lag". This nomenclature dates back to the days when one had to wait what was perceived as an eternity (usually no more than a second) for the turbo to spool up and come on boost. Superchargers were virtually immune from this phenomenon, as they did not depend upon exhaust gases, but relied upon mechanical forces. However, with the advent of smaller turbos and variable vanes, the lag has been all but obliterated. No modern vehicle, especially an Audi with a history of turbo technology, should suffer from this annoyance.

Just as an aside: many early, commercially available turbos, in the eighties, were actually pretty exciting to the novice (yours truly); the turbo "rush" was so unique and unexpected, it was viewed as a pleasurable sensation. That is, until we grew up and became sophisticated.
  • anoonananoonan Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know what the 0-60 times are for the new 3.0 A6 Quattro? Looked around at the AoA site and other places and couldn't find this...
    Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes -- my 4.2 is a bit sluggish from a full stop -- almost as if it was starting out in 2nd gear. I usually just think this is the car "clearing its throat." And at 18k miles, it has perhaps happened 6 or 7 times (12 months). It always corrects itself at the next full stop or if I use the tip in an attempt to go to a lower gear, it will (in spite of its desire to stay out of first gear) briefly shift down to first gear, build revs and then "go back to normal" -- which is to say upshift to second gear.

I assume that the tip has a computer program in it -- I read it has 256 different algorithms built in for any possible combination and permutation of driving. It is supposed to be adaptive -- and in reality, it is!

However, the tip shift program is always being refined -- you know like application software version 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 etc. -- I have no clue which version mine has. But, I can tell you it is different than an allroad with tip which my wife and I drove extensively a couple of weeks ago.

So, perhaps the experience I have had with a car that is NOT turbo -- a brief hesitation -- that feels like turbo lag, is the same thing you have noticed with your 2.7T.

I wonder if someone with a 6spd 2.7T would chime in.

I agree with the line of thinking that says it is not turbo lag.

Any new information on the rumoured 6spd transmission (BMW uses a 6spd auto in their new 7 series and it is manufactured by the same company that makes Audi's, I think).?
  • tmanlawtmanlaw Member Posts: 17
    The storage tray on my A6 2.7T is smooth plastic on the sides and felt lined on the bottom. It is ringed with wood trim along the top, same as around the parking brake.
    7.9 according to the audi website. You would think that you should look under "Performance" on the AoA site, but you look under "features and specifications", then "specifications. I'm not sure if this link will work:

http://www.audiusa.com/features_specifications/0,,contentType-26_modelId-7_status-P_countrycode-1_,00.html
    One of the best things about the new A6 is the view from the rear. With the twin pipes it looks really muscular (the 2.7T badge doesn't hurt either). Today was the first cold morning we had since I bought the car, and seeing the steam coming out both sides in the rear view gave me a few grins (I guess I am easily amused).

Is it true dual exhaust? If not, where does it split?

Just under 300 miles now, can't wait until I get to 1,000 to let it loose. Kept it at 4,000 rpms so far (okay, I had to do a little more to blow by a mustang on the double yellow).
  • anoonananoonan Member Posts: 29
    yeah I looked in performance...how dumb of me. :-) The multitronic seems interesting but how can one pass up the quattro? Guess I'll drive both...
    anoonan - I too would like to drive a multitronic, but just can't give up the quattro where I live and especially afer having driven a quattro for the last four years (1998 A4). If you are considering an A6, take a look at the 2.7T. After ruling out a new A4 I debated between the 3.0 and the 2.7, and ended up with the 2.7. I know it cost more (about 3,800), but there are several advantages.

Obviously the engine. Although it is rated at only 30 more hp than the 3.0 it has an entirely different feel and is a lot faster (6.6 versus 7.9 for 0-60). You get more for the extra money too since that includes a sport package (which you can't get on the 3.0). After driving a non-sport A4 for four years I can't believe the difference. The brakes are also larger on the 2.7. If you are ever interested, you can also chip the turbo (in my case at least after the warranty expires). If you want a manual tranny it is only available on the 2.7, and if you get the tip the 2.7 is the only one with steering wheel mounted shift buttons. I ended up getting the tip, although I have always driven manuals. You really get more for your money than just the engine.

If they offered the 3.0 with the six-speed that would have deserved serious consideration. It would have been faster and more fun. But with the tip and no sport package on the 3.0, I felt justified in going for the 2.7.

I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice. Maybe I'm still trying to justify the decision to myself! But so far, at 300 miles on the new 2.7, I'm glad I did.
    I still have plastic sides and the wood trim around the top of my storage tray, so my guess is that the bottom of the tray is only made up of the felt liner and it was vacuumed up by the car wash guys. I may just try to buy some felt liner that matches the leather. I know it was there previously, b/c I would have noticed the holes.

Thanks for your help!
    Someone on another board said that for '02, fully optioned, the 2.7T is only about $1,000 more than the 3.0. I haven't run the numbers myself, but FWIW, that makes the 2.7T even more attractive. AoA plays the same game all the other makes play, they advertise a base price, but you aren't going to find a car at that price, unless you order it. For example, my '01 2.7T had a base price of a little over $39K, but optioned out with a MSRP of $45.5. And the options were those found most commonly on cars coming into inventory.
    timcar if the $1,000 is correct, I would agree -- getting a 2.7T is a no brainer.

But you know, what I have seen is a lot of the 3.0's come in pretty "bare bones" -- which for '02 with quattro -- is a very high value car -- and makes an A6 affordable. But if you find yourself optioning up a 3.0, it probably does come pretty close to a 2.7T and then the 3.0 becomes less attractive.

I'll run through the numbers and see what's up.
    I threw away all the numbers after I made the deal, but if both were fully optioned, it is definitely more than a $1,000 difference (they CAN'T be totally comparable fully optioned since the sport pkg is not offered on the 3.0). But I will add this - they did offer a bettter discount from invoice on the 2.7T, and the salesman allowed that they had "more room to work with" on the 2.7. I may have come in at around $3,400 more, but anywhere between there and $1,000 it is still worth the extra money.
    A 3.0 with quattro is $37,725 with "everything" it is $45,930.

Comparably optioned, a 2.7T is $48,505.

I just did this on the Build your Own @ AoA -- the 2.7T in this example did not have the sport suspension or the 17" wheel/tire option, to try to keep the two cars as close as the web site configurator will allow.

Difference at list then is: $2,575 -- I would still take the 2.7T (and heck, I'd get the 6spd).

There is no price diff for the transmission options on the 2.7T.
    Perhaps the $1,000 price difference referenced by another poster WAS a negotiated price difference, as suggested by Amory.
    At 6:45 a flatbed pulled up in front of the house and unloaded my '02 Crystal blue 4.2 from Dayton.(I live in Toledo).What a beautiful sight seeing the street lights reflecting off the metallic finish and the truck making the circle around the cul-de-sac.
    Sweet dreams Teutonic chariot.You're mine!
  • vicsa4vicsa4 Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the market for a used A6 Quattro 2.7T Manual. Prefer a car with less than 20,000 miles on it.
    Any suggestions as to where I can search for one on the internet?
  • dre_jdre_j Member Posts: 15
    It seems like we should all meet at a resturant one afternoon/evening.
    Congrats to Greg on his beautiful auto! Is all dealer prep done? I'm sure this isn't the case, but some dealers have forgotten to remove spacers placed in springs during transit. Enjoy!

For a used 2.7T 6-speed, you may want to try;

http://www.audiworld.com/classifieds/

And -- with the fine restaurants we have here -- this (an Audi owners gathering) would be a labor of love -- how about Italian -- Germano's, Baresis, PrimaVista, Scaleas, Nicholas -- mmmmm.

Or, we could go for German (and some German beer) at the BlackForest.

Or 'Merican at the Mt. Adams Bar & Grill or the Montgomery Inn.

And perhaps we could invite someone from one of the Audi dealers.

This gathering could be dangerous -- it could "force" us to have to spend more money on cars.

Or we could go out into the hinterland (which could be NSEW for all I care) -- for whatever.
  • sleepysteve1sleepysteve1 Member Posts: 7
    try autotrader.com or cars.com
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    for "Map 9" on their navigation system? Map 9 covers Florida and parts of the lower east coast. I made a rash decision a week ago and sold my A8 only to receive the cd in the mail today.

While selling my car was a tough decision, and was made during a period of extreme duress and frustration with my dealer, not buying another A8 broke my heart, I will return to the audi family and will keep monitoring the board to see what's going on.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the new A8 to come out and will probably order an S8 when I see the styling in person (I need to get used to the new look I've seen in pictures of the Avantissimo).

Let me know if anyone can use this. I'll be happy to give it to someone. Take care - Randy
    Why did you sell -- and what did you get to replace it? What did your dealer do or not do?
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    having my dealer quote me $1,500/39mo plus tax for an '01 S8 sitting on the lot or $1,000/39mo + on an '01 A8L and then seeing that i could have gotten the silver S8 from Northland for less! After a lot of heated discussions on how, while I don't mind people making money, and I'm happy to bend over backwards to accommodate people, I won't bend over front wards! What dissapointed me the most was that me and my best friend have bought 6 Audis, 6 Porsche's (including an '01 Turbo!) and two Ferrari's. To be given such a bad deal was an insult and made me so mad, I spent the next six hours looking for something else.

No-one down here had any A8's that I liked with regards to colors or options and, after a very, very bad day, I decided to call in some favors and ended up finding a friend who gave away a BMW X5 4.4 and gave me the cash I wanted for my A8. I decided to do a short term lease as I don't think I want to own this for long (and actually may give it to my wife sooner than later).

With the upcoming changes on the A8 i decided to just wait a year or so until i can (calm down!) and order what I want.

Anger can be a very dangerous emotion. I spent Friday night (it was actually about three weeks ago Friday this happened) tossing and turning asking myself "What have I done?" I really loved my car, and will definitely buy another Audi, but my anger got the better part of me.

My brakes were (again) starting the old humming, and I was sick and tired of dealing with this problem (this started in February). I innocently called the sales manager and said get me out of this car and find me another A8. I guess it was a bad month and as it was the last day of the month, I was going to make up for slow sales. Oh well....
    I have the best brakes I have ever had on my A6 at this point -- yet they are really making a humming noise, but they stop great.

I do not know what to do, the dealer has done everything that is within and even some things that are beyond their power. The big brake conversion kit (which I believe puts Brembos on the car -- same as the S8 has from the factory according to Car&Driver) costs $2999 and I am now almost halfway through my lease -- I might spend a third of that, but no way I'll spend $3K for about 15 months of use.