Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I'm relocating to NW Illinois and have almost finalized my decision to go with '03 A6 2.7T to replace my GS300 mainly for quattro. Need to know if anyone has any very positive or negative experiences with the two dealers up in that neck of the woods, both sales & service experiences. I got a little spoiled with quality of my GS over the last 4 plus years and don't want to fight with poor dealer service. Lujack's in Davenport, IA or Napleton's in Rockford, IL are the two closest to where I'll be living.

Any and all comments welcome either here or direct to my e-mail, RGEvans76@aol.com.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    Kristen, could you offer a little more detail about the nature and extent of the AC noise you're experiencing?

But, from what you said so far, it doesn't sound normal to me. The fan noise in the A6 is a little louder than in my previous Lexus, but certainly not objectionable, and rarely noticeable. Only when the fan is blowing a max is it noticeable at all with the stereo on. But of course, there are a lot of variables in this statement. I.e., how loud I prefer the stereo. I think I rarely crank it up to 25%. The only sound I typically hear when the fans are blowing at more than 75% is the whoosh of air being propelled through the various outlets. The only other normal sound is the A/C gurgling when it's turned off. I also get occasional faint cricket chirps behind the passenger side of the dash, but this is obviously a fan or impeller that's out of whack, and which I eventually will have worked on.

Other than these things, the only different and noticeable noise associated with the A/C is under the hood. When it's at all warm, and the compressor is running, various auxiliary engine-cooling fans kick in. Sometime these sound more than a bit like an air raid siren. This IS normal, but only if it's not too loud. If you see pedestrians diving for cover as you drive by, you know that one or more of the auxiliary fans has a problem. I've read reports of the fans' housings occasionally having shifted, and being struck by the fan's blades, akin to a playing card flipping through the spokes of a bicycle. When this happens, it can make a truly loud and horrendous siren sound.

You might also want to listen to some of the other cars on the dealer's lot, and see if YOU think they're the same.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I just returned from the local Audi dealer and they have a new black on black '02 Allroad 2.7T 6-speed on sale for $42,200. Sticker price on the vehicle was $46,500.

If anyone is interested in the extended warranty-the CNA warranty I purchased w/ the '00 2.7T @$2300 for 3 years or 100,000 miles (the clock starts after the Audi warranty runs out) does cover the turbo units themselves. If any non-covered items such as hoses or clamps that connects to the turbo broke and caused the turbo to fail-that turbo repair would not be covered under the extended warranty.
    CNA's # is 1-800-722-4758 if anyone would like more info about Audi extended warranties.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    When I lived in Iowa about 10 years ago people used to call Lujack "Screwjack". I tried to buy a car from them (a Honda) and they weren't, aaah how do I put this, completely on the up and up. Things may have changed since then and I don't live in the area either so I can't help you any more than that. Call the BBB of Davenport and see what they have to say. Good luck and enjoy the move it is a pretty area.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Member Posts: 91
    I got my first Audi, a 2002 A6 4.2 with sport package, in May. It was the best car I've driven to date. The only problem has been two failed stereo head units, which trace back to a software glitch in the 2002 model that Audi cannot chase to ground.

Last Friday I took delivery on an S6 Avant. My God . . . this iteration of the A6 takes a great car straight into the stratosphere. I had a '98 Corvette (which I dumped after 13 shop visits in 15 months), and this Audi feels as if it has the accelerative punch and handling edge of the 'Vette (on the days it was running). But the build quality and chassis solidity of the Audi are infinitely better.

Of course, the data give the lie to my subjective impressions. The Corvette was reportedly good for 5.2 seconds to 60 mph, and Audi reports only 6.5 seconds for the S6. But, for the life of me, the Audi seems at least as hot. In any case, you certainly won't find a meaner station wagon on the planet. It even looks great.

Now . . . one huge plea from a new Audi addict to the folks in Ingolstadt. PLEASE LOSE THE BOSE AND PUT IN A REAL AUDIO SYSTEM! These cars are just too good to participate in Amar Bose's marketing scam. (The man believes that high frequencies tire the ear, and the treble attenuation he designs into his systems make any attempt to achieve true tonal balance hopeless. His thumpy bass and punchy midrange vocals may be a drunk frat boy's definition of a "killer system," but they are an insult to more critical listeners. If you don't believe me, check out the Lexus Mark Levinson system or even the factory Jaguar S-Type system. It can be done in a car, and done well.)

C'mon, Audi . . . you're just one measly audio system away from automotive perfection. Not bad.
    Your new S6 sounds wonderful, Mike. Everyone I've heard from who has gotten one has said it has dramatically exceeded their expectations.

I've not been overwhelmed by the Bose in my '01 2.7T either. And while I'm not an audiophile, I have to question whether the A6's Bose's mediocre performance is entirely attributable to Bose. The '91 Legend I had had a Bose labeled system that had, to my ear, rich and complex sound. The succeeding Lexus ES300 wasn't as good, and the A6's Bose, sadly less enjoyable than that. I've made my peace with my Bose system, and enjoy music on it, but I too would welcome a substantial improvement, and can easily understand your frustration finding it your new S6.

I've not done a comprehensive survey, but my impression is that German manufacturers either have different taste in sound, or just don't think it's all that important. I've read many comparisons by both reviewers and owners describing the sound systems in cars of other manufacture, notably the Japanese, as being superior to German autos irrespective of either the price of the car, or the cost of the sound system option.

I've personally attributed my less-than-thrilled perception of the sound in my A6 to the Panasonic manufactured head unit that was used in my '01. I think that beginning in '02, there is a different one. I don't know who makes it, but I've never been pleased by the sound generated by any Panasonic products. The one thing that the Panasonic unit did have was a hidden graphic equalizer. This went away with the new head unit, or at least, no one has found it yet. After I adjusted it, I found I was able to color the sound more to my liking.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Thanks guys for the advice. We've got a car show here in Austin this weekend and I'll be spending several hours there really testing the space aspects.

I will definitely do more research into Lujack before making any decisions.

I can't wait to get up there and get a quattro and have some fun with winter roads.
    You're right, Timcar. The sound of the Bose does vary from car to car. I've had Bose's in an Acura Legend, an Acura 3.5 RL, and the Corvette, and they sounded different in each car. Not surprising, since the car's interior size, shape, and interior hugely affect the sound. In fact, the Bose in the 2002 S6 sounds a bit clearer and more tonally balanced than in the 2002 A6. But even the best of the Bose applications has been noticeably below any other system I've had in other cars.

The best factory systems (such as the Mark Levinson) are optimized for the particular car. There is very little difference in the Levinson sound between the LS430 version and the GS430 version, even though both interiors vary greatly in acoustic characteristics.

For a lot of long-distance commuters, our cars have become our primary listening venue for music. The better a car gets, the more one craves that last iota of perfection and notices its absence. The Audi is so good that the subpar audio system looms large as an annoyance. Audi should at least give us the option of paying extra for an alternative system. (Some A6 drivers on the audiworld.com site have actually opted not to buy the "premium" Bose system, because the base system sounds better. There is even a rhyme people quote on that site -- "Got no highs, got no lows . . . must be a Bose." Unfortunately, the Bose is standard in both the A6 4.2 and the S6.)

But I want to keep this in perspective. This is a phenomenal car. I can barely imagine what the RS6 will be like.
  • drcsfdrcsf Member Posts: 36
    I have been reading this board for a few weeks because I am considering buying a 2001 A6 2.7T, 6 speed with Sport Package. The car has 13,000 miles on it. My neighbor is a Porche/Audi dealer sales manager and bought the car for his wife. She then got pregnant and now they need an SUV. He says he owes $34,000 on the car and I can have it for that. I assume it has been serviced properly given his place of employment. My question is does this sound like a fair price? I looked up the kelly blue book numbers ($35,000) but I know most people can buy used cars below those values. Also it is not a "certified" used Audi because I would buy it from him but he said if I want to pay for it he can have it certified through the dealer, adding some period of time to the warranty. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you, Craig.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    For the pricing you should check what this car (with comparable equipment) is actually selling for - I'm not sure what that would be exactly, but you are right about Kelly Blue Book. In any case I would ask to see the vehicle's service records to see if the oil has been changed (at least on schedule, otherwise I wouldn't buy it) and what if any other problems the car's had. The milage is low and if the car is in "like new" condition, it could be a very good buy (but again, check to see what comparable cars are really selling for). If you can get it certified for a reasonable cost, that would be great if you plan to keep it more than a couple of years. But if only plan on owning it for two years the car does have at least two years or 37,000 miles left on the Audi factory warranty/free maintenance plan, which is the best in the business for the first 50,000 miles/4 years, whichever comes first. You would also have the option of buying an extended warranty should you decide to keep it beyond the factory warranty, but these tend to be expensive ($2,000+). Hope it works out for you 'cause it's a great car.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I mentioned about two weeks ago that a 2001 A6 4.2 with every possible option except CD changer (which could be added) is available from my dealer here in Cincinnati. I know all about the car -- I traded it in. It would have the 100K warranty and it currently has 37K miles on it.

It would be about the same price as you have been quoted for a 2.7T.

I am not a dealer, I do not sell cars, and I will gladly give info if you wish to e-mail me -- and I will introduce you to the "man" at the dealership. I have purchased over 2 dozen Audis from the same place here in River City since 1978.

The "deal" you are being quoted, although the low milage is impressive, might be sweeter if you were to end up with a warranted 4.2 A6.

Just a thought.
    I think the price is a little high. It sounded good to me, then I checked Edmunds' TMV. Here's the link -

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/audi/a6/4dr27tquattroturboawdsedan/prices.html

I can believe your neighbor may still have $34K to pay, but that includes the finance company's profit. But 13K is low mileage, and if there isn't a problem with car, and it has been maintained, it will probably be a great car. Another question might be is the car worth $34K to you? It's not an investment; it's an asset which will lose money. Do you want to spend $34K for a car? Can you find one you'd rather have at that price? Would you be happier with an '03 that you could probably buy now, or in a couple of months for somewhere around $42k-$43K? You might also want to consider offering a couple thousand less.

In addition to buying an extended warranty through the dealer, you may also want to investigate and compare purchasing one from a third party. It could be both cheaper and a better warranty.

• drcsfdrcsf Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the input on the car I'm looking at. The 4.2 in Cincinnati would not be an option as I specifically want a manual transmission. I assume the car has been maintained perfectly as he is the sales manager for Porsche/Audi at a large dealership here in Baltimore. Furthermore, I believe the car is heavily equipped with almost every option except navigation - even has the CD changer in the trunk as well as the in dash unit. The problem here in Baltimore is there is no 2.7T's for resale with a 6 speed - tons of 2.8 A'6's, few 4.2 A'6's, so, I have no comparison cars here. I feel the price is a bit high but I have no way to prove that with competing cars at other dealers. As far as spending the 34k, I would do it if the car excites me when I drive it, which I plan to do on Thursday. I have spent more and less on previous cars I've owned but I've learned spending alot does not always guarantee quality or a passionate drive. I'll post again after then. Thanks again to all who responded and if anyone has a quote on a 2.7T 6-speed in their area please post it here. Craig
    Another option would be to go to audiusa.com, click on Dealer Locater and then check several other dealers' Preowned Inventory. You may have to make a couple long distance calls to get the asking price - at least in our area the dealers do not give this out on their web sites, but you do get a good description of each car currently for sale, so you should be able to find comparable cars to do a price check on.
  • amarchanamarchan Member Posts: 23
    Yesterday I had the A/C blower fan replaced by the local dealer. I had called Audiusa customer service regarding the chirping noise but they had not heard of this problem. I took a copy of your post in the Audiworld forum to the local Audi service manager and he was going to fax it to Audiusa after the repair. On simple inspection they could not find anything wrong with the blower fan. However, the chirping is gone, and there must have been something else wrong with the fan because the A/C is much quieter now. And there are no new rattles.

There IS a hidden equalizer in the Panasonic head unit in the Bose system, you can find it at:

http://e-audi.tripod.com/eaudinewsarticles/synfhead1.htm

There are many posts in the Audiworld forum regarding recommended settings for both the standard audio system and the Bose system. Some of the posts go into very detailed analyses. I tried some of the settings suggested, but found the bass to be overemphasized. I've settled for 63564556 for now, with the bass control one notch down and the fader one notch towards the rear. I'm still experimenting, but I keep going back to the same setting for the first 4 numbers and the tone and fader controls. Have fun!

• allagarooallagaroo Member Posts: 88
  • allagarooallagaroo Member Posts: 88
    I reset it in my 2000 2.7T and it made a big difference in sound to me. Is it available in the'03's? Have they improved the radio/cd any?
    I too want to know if it is avail in 03's I have the Bose system in my 03 allroad and am wondering if I can get rid of the No highs, No lows, must be Bose syndrome.
    I will now face getting my crickets removed with far more confidence.

I had visited the web page you kindly posted, and readjusted the settings of the Bose in my '01 2.7T to something closer to my preference. And yes, I do think it makes a significant difference.

However I read that since the head unit was changed in model year '02, this capability was lost. Is there a way to do it on '02 & '02 sound systems as well?
  • netsirk1netsirk1 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for getting back to me and for making me laugh! I haven't noticed anyone duck and cover as I drive by, so I don't believe the a/c noise is being heard outside the car.

I think the 'whoosh' and 'gurgling' you mentioned are the perfect descripters of the noises I hear. When the fan is on the whoosh can be so loud it could be heard outside the car if i had my windows down. When I turn the car off and the a/c system is off the residual whooshing and gurgling also seem to be very loud as the last air circulates through the system.

The noise has dissapated a little bit over the last week (or maybe I'm used to it?) so I'm thinking it might of been a warm-up period for the car? It is still there - but lately much less obvious. Hoping it stays that way.

Thanks again for the help.
    The December 2002 Car and Driver reviewed the new Nissan 350Z. They had this to say about its Bose sound system:

"The Bose stereo was a huge disappointment, sounding as though its seven speakers were packed with dryer lint. No amount of adjusting could 'improve the sound to the level of an AM clock radio,' said the logbook."

C'mon Audi . . . are you listening? Lose the Bose, put in a real audio system, and make a great car almost perfect!
    Totally agree with the Bose comments. But other things that would seem to be "easy" could even further improve a great car nearing it to almost perfection!

Wheel tire options, seat options, sound system options, sat nav options. Check the German website configurator and you can see what is actually produced and available -- we just don't get it.

The Bose thing in $30 to $80K cars is a mystery to me. At least one would thing there could be another choice -- Mark Levinson (too much like Lexus perhaps) comes to mind.
    If anyone is checking gas mileage on the A6 2.7T- I'm getting 19.63 mpg (in town) w/ tip transmission. This is my most recent fillup in ambient temps about 20F. (Minneapolis/St.Paul)
    I agree, markcincinnati, that a broader menu of options would be nice.

You mentioned aftermarket wheels. Have you taken a look at the new SSR Competitions? I tried them on the A6 and got so many inquiries from bystanders about them that I put them on the S6. At 15.5 lbs for 17x8.5 they're about the lightest wheels on the market. I think they're about 10 pounds lighter than the forged wheels that come on the A6 sport package. The weight advantage is even greater when compared to the S6 which, for some bizarre reason, comes with cast instead of forged wheels.

Another question . . . has anyone had trouble with the Audi Telematics package?
    Nuttin' but trouble so far.

Over 50% of my intial ownership experience, my On*star has kept the car in the shop (last time 11 days in a row and the car was basically in pieces while they were in diagnosis mode).

Now, the GPS (On*Star) is working -- but the phone no longer works (the On*star phone, that is).

My car has sat nav, factory phone and telematics. They are integrated -- this technology from Audi's implementation is not quite ready for primetime.

I still love the 03 2.7T 6spd manual allroad, OVERALL, though.

I am annoyed that I have now made two payments on the car and it has been at the dealership more than in my garage. I am confident the bugs will evenutally get worked out. I am disappointed that I actually paid for the car (lease) and things were not entirely functioning. I could have waited 30 days for them to get it right and saved at least one payment.

If you are considering On*star, factory phone and sat nav -- well, they ARE theoretically great and I can tell when everything is working properly that it will be actually great. Again it just kind of galls me to be paying for the car while it (telematics+sat nav+factory phone) was clearly NOT ready for prime time.

My guess is that if you buy this combination (order it) that the bugs will be worked out. They learned so much from my implementation and the problems I have had -- I am certain that I was the beta test version and the subsequent customers will have fewer and fewer problems.
  • max27tmax27t Member Posts: 35
    Interesting that you posted your mileage. Over the weekend I was looking at my mileage for the first time since I bought the car in April, and, coincidentally I live in the Twin Cities.

I picked up my 2002 A6 2.7t on 4/11/02 and now have a little over 10K miles on it. I don't put a whole lot of stock in mileage calculations for any one tank of gas, but these measurement errors integrate over time to approach zero. For my first month of use, mileage was about 16.5 miles/gallon, and increased about 1 mpg in the next month. It has been slowly improving since then and I now have a cumulative consumption of 18.9 mpg, i.e., total miles driven over total gas purchased in the last 7+ months. On long trips I've been getting 22-24 mpg.

No efforts have been taken to modify driving style to maximize mileage. (It does seem silly to buy a 2.7t if mileage is a high priority). Have any of you noticed seasonal variations in your mileage, and is the 2.8/3.0 engine more efficient?
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    If anyone is interested in an inexpensive boost in HP I suggest the GIAC ECU chip. They also make a chip for the tiptronic. I had this done last week and it truly transforms this car into what it should have been from the factory. I can understand why Audi chose to deliver the vehicle as they do now. You have to be VERY careful with your right foot or you'll take off like a rocket!! Now I DO KNOW THE RISKS!! I do NOT abuse the car but for that few seconds that you need that thrust I don't believe it is harming the car. I drive it gentle most of the time but when getting on the highway I just LOVE the thrill of the acceleration. It truly is intoxicating and addictive. I wouldn't be surprised if this chip has reduced the 1/4 mile times to high 13's with the right driver.
  • max27tmax27t Member Posts: 35
    Max, thanks for telling me about mnaudi.com. I'll have to check it out over the long weekend coming up. I recently joined the Audi Car Club of NA (nee quatro club), but had not heard of mnaudi before. I have noticed quite of few MN posters on here and audiworld.

I live in St. Paul, but was on 494 eastbound from Eden Prairie one afternoon a couple weeks ago during rush hour. I don't think I've ever seen so many Audis on the road as I saw on the westbound lanes. It seemed like I saw 2-3 per minute, but I suspect I'm exaggerating. Nevertheless, there were many zenons heading the other way, mostly A6s it appeared. The mnaudi group could be quite large even if only 10% of the Audi owners joined. I wonder how many A6s Carousel and Maplewood sell in a year.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again for the tip.
    Greg
    Hello, max27t and marleybarr - I also live in Mpls-St. Paul and drive an allroad while my wife drives an A4 - both great cars. I'm also a member of the Minnesota Audi club, but haven't been able to make too many events. I did manage to make the last one at Leighton's, however, and I'm really glad I did. The allroad seems so much faster now - maybe it's just my imagination (?) ;-)
    What is your dealer or AudiUSA telling you about your telematics troubles? I'm having difficulty getting any response.

I bought a 2002 A6 4.2 in May with Telematics. It was the first one with that option that the dealer delivered. When you dial out with the phone installed in the cradle, the system is supposed to default to the phone rather than to the On*Star system to place the call. About a third of the time, I get a message saying "you have insufficient units remaining", which means the system is trying to dial out over On*Star instead of over the phone. The only way I can reset the system is by taking the phone out of the cradle and reinstalling it.

Last month I got a 2002 S6, also with Telematics. This car came from a different dealer (Schaumburg Audi near Chicago), so I asked him about the problem with the first car's Telematics. He said there was a small rubber plug over the antenna contact pin on the phone that should be removed by the installer. Sure enough, when I checked, the original dealer had not removed that plug. Several calls and visits to that original dealer (New Country Audi in Greenwich, CT . . . the country's largest Audi dealer) had not figured out that fix.

However, now I'm having the same problem with the Telematics in the S6, but the rubber plug was properly removed from that phone. The only difference between the problem in the other car is that the voice message in the S6 says "your phone cannot be located." Again, I have to remove the phone from the cradle and reinstall it to fix the problem. (This problem will sometimes occur right after making a successful call without my having taken the phone out of the car. So I'm sure the problem is not caused by my failure to seat the phone properly when I put it back in the car.)

Both dealers are now telling me they are not familiar enough with Telematics to work on the system. So I called AudiUSA customer care twice. Both times, the took down all the details and promised me someone would call me back. No one did either time.

So, I'm driving $110,000 worth of Audis and cannot get a dealer or AudiUSA to attempt a fix, or even return a phone call. Getting disgusted fast.
    I have talked to 2 Audi owners with Telematics and BOTH were/are having problems with the system!
    Audi claims it is the service provider's problem and the service provider says Audi's software to run the system is defective- so who knows?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    to comment on the telematics situation, so I won't.

Hope those of you who acquired 2.7T's are pleased. I'm living with you vicariously. Much like playing blackjack or craps on the computer -- all the losses are imaginary.

Keep us posted.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I have the Tip, which is best for me here in the Cities, due to traffic conjestion. If I lived outside the Cities or I didn't have to contend with rush hour traffic, it would have been the 6 speed for sure. I've driven mostly manuals over the years, and generally prefer them for driving fun and control, but the traffic here can spoil the fun in a hurry...

You're right about Carousel - their gorgeous new facility can now better acommodate the tremendous demand in this area - more from a service standpoint really, as the wait times at the old place were way too long. As I posted earlier I've had two different people there claim that they are the largest Audi dealer in the country, but I have yet to see any sales numbers that would back up their claim. But with their monopoly position, in a big city in the northern reaches of the country, I wouldn't be surprised that they are the largest.
    If your Audi is still under warranty-go to the factory website (www.audiusa) and sign up for "My Audi."

Under "recommended maintenance" it will show you what Audi should perform on your particular model at the mileage intervals.
  • tomtom4tomtom4 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my A6 with premimum/cold weather packages a week ago. The brochure said the 17-inch, 5-spoke cast alloy wheels with 235/45 all-season tires comes with the premium package. Instead, I got the standard 16-inch, 215/55s. The dealer tells me it must be a mistake in the brochure and the legalese disclaimer (proverbial fine print) basically gives them the out here.
    Anybody else run into this bait-and-switch? Is my dealer covering up something? Can you vouch that the better tires make a noticeable difference in handling? I love the car, but I can't shake this feeling of getting taken by the dealer.
  • morphiemorphie Member Posts: 95
    Which A6 did you order? The standard tires are 215/55-16 on the 3.0. Further, did you sign an order form? Is there a discrepancy between that and the window sticker?
  • tomtom4tomtom4 Member Posts: 2
    It's a 3.0, quattro, one purchased off the lot. I understand the 215-55/16s are standard, but I thought the premium package, at least as listed in the brochure, overrode the standard wheels.
  • dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    I thought that wheel/tire package comes with the sports package? I could be wrong though. Because even though I ordered the premium package also, I have the 16" wheel and the 215-55/16 tires also.
  • morphiemorphie Member Posts: 95
    It appears, Tom, that you were treated honestly by your dealer. The 17" wheels are, indeed, an extra cost option.

There have been numerous posts by Mark, and others, regarding suspension and tire modifications. My views are based upon our two A6's: a 2002 Avant 3.0 with 215/55-16's and a 2001 2.7t, with 235/45-17's. Neither vehicle has any after market suspension work.

My feeling has always been that the single, most significant modification that can be made to a stock car is tires (size and performance). I am not saying that springs and shocks do not contribute. However, if one were to make one alteration, tires would be it. This is the most noticeable difference in our two vehicles.

The 3.0 handles well, and its ride is commendable. It is not, however, lively or light on its feet. This attribute is accentuated after driving the 2.7t. While there is a slight degradation in ride, it is more than made up for with a feeling of responsive handling. The car, literally, feels lighter on its feet.

In case you are concerned about "comfort", may I offer this quintessential Audi moment: my wife, who is devoted to her luxury and comfort, and is on her second A6 Avant, drove the 2.7t, and now wants it whenever she can get it. While I find it nearly impossible to deny her anything, one must draw the line somewhere.

I suggest that you ask your dealer for a long test drive in an A6 equipped with 17" performance tires. If the feel is to your liking, and the cost (I would estimate $1,000, or more through Tire Rack) is acceptable, do not hesitate to do it. Also, do not eliminate a more frugal option: 215/55-16 performance tires (Michelin Pilots, etc.).

One thing is certain: whether you choose to stay stock, or modify, you have a fine vehicle that will give you at least 36 months of pleasure.

Let us know what you do.
  • dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    I have about 3000 miles and have been averaging 17.8 MPG (according to trip computer). Mostly intown driving. I was in the dealer a few days ago (not trouble, just looking) and he was surprised I was so low, he had been telling buyers they might get 18-20. I doubt I will get that high without long highway trips.
  • notane1notane1 Member Posts: 3
    I too have a 2002A6 2.7T w/tip and I have about 3000 miles on it. I've been averaging 17-18MPG combined city-highway driving while my trip computer reads20-21MPG during this time. Has anyone checked their actual MPG versus their trip computer?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I bought my Audi 2.7T w/6-speed new in February '01. Since then I've averaged 20.1 MPG over the first 25,000 miles (actually 24,980). The first 3000 miles was a 20.4 MPG average but since June I have been doing more local miles. There are several east coast road trips in the mix and mileage has been higher on the highway way, naturally. Earlier this year I averaged 21.9 MPG on a trip to Philadelphia. I didn't do as well on a trip to Montreal, though, with a 19.4 MPG average. There four adults and luggage in the car and we made very good time cruising around 80-85 mph.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I should have mentioned that the MPG figures above come from the log book I keep. The gallons purchased are rounded up or down to the tenth and the mileage is from the odometer - no tenth of a mile up or down.
  • edmundsdtedmundsdt Member Posts: 6
    Did you buy an Audi yet Craig? I recently bought a 2001 A6 with the sport, premium and shade packages with 9,500 miles for $33,000. It is Audi assured and in perfect shape. Also, it has what I think are the 2002 BBS 17" wheels. I would have prefered a stick but this car has tiptronic which is fine. I couldn't pass up the deal and A6's with stick shift are hard to find.
  • dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    I found the MPG indicator on the display is roughly 10-15% off. It might show 15-16 mpg, but in fact I am getting 18 mpg.
    My telematics works "perfectly" -- I cannot find any problem whatsoever with it.

But boy was it a Pain in the neck to get it fixed.

When I press the white button or the lower right hand button on the steering wheel and say "Dial" it uses the factory phone (my carrier is Verizon). When I remove the phone from the cradle and do the same thing -- it uses my minutes which were "reset" to 60 as an apology for my troubles (which turned out to be On*stars, not Audis -- for the record).

I'll tell you what the final fix was for mine:

On*star "pretended" the car had never been initialized for On*star (think a PC and alt-control-delete, "REBOOT"). This took OVERNIGHT and I parked the car in my driveway?!? At ON*STAR's request. Next morning, all is right with the world.

Units, verify, you have 59 units remaining.

Dial -- works perfectly with or without factory phone

My number -- ditto

Blue Button -- GPS tracking works perfectly.

Sat Nav (works at the same time)

Memo function works perfectly.

11+days granted -- but the system works according to Hoyle now.

My dealer -- the best of the best is: Northland Audi 513 851 5900 -- my service advisor is Kristen or Gregg and the Manager (who has been there forever) is Bill Fleiman.

The area service support person from Audi is "Manfred" -- has der German accent even -- a great guy.

Hope this helps.

The reboot seemed to do the trick -- reminded me of my PC, god knows why it just locks up from time to time and the only thing that brings it back to normal is a "cold boot!" Or sometimes I just press the reset button.

The On*Star people (well at least one of them) seem to know what to do. The Audi dealer is more or less at their mercy from what I have experienced.
    I have a '00 2.7T w/tip and received 18.93 mpg on my last city driving fillup. The trip computer read 21.6 mpg.(average). From what I have read on the other posts, the mpg on the 2.7T seems to be about these averages- 17-20 (in town)- 19-23 (on the road).
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    I have the opportunity to purchase an audi a-6 brand new with premium/preferred/convenience pkg for 33,5K. Is this a good deal? I'm a little considered about reliability issues with the A6. Plus the 2004 is going to be completed redesigned. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
    Tom, Edmunds shows a TMV of $29.2K to $40.7K for this car depending upon model. Take a look at this link:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/audi/a6/index.html

Also, does brand new mean never titled? I'd check Carfax on this and other ownership issues. If never titled, why is it still on the owner's lot? What's the mileage on the odometer? Is it a loaner? Demo? Salesmanger's car? If it has less than about 100 miles, and the answer to the other questions is no, $33,5K could be a good price if it has not been titled, depending on the model.

If you check out all these things and find them satisfactory, there's no reason to be overly concerned about the car's reliability. Audi had pretty well sorted out most problem by '02. Though of course, ANY individual car can be a lemon from ANY manufacturer.

I think there will probably be a new model A6 next year. No doubt it will offer dramatic improvements compared to the present model. It will look different, and if driving a new model car is very important, you'll no longer have the newest model. Will it look better? No one on my side of the aisle knows what it will look like, and it's subjective anyway. I suspect you may also see price increase compared to the present model as Audi tries to more closely parallel BMW.