Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I believe you are correct about the 1SG -- and the Cadillac dealer said fully loaded the car would be $62,500 before any discount.

A fully loaded A6 4.2, 2004 flavor, is ~ $55K the last time I config'd one, maybe even ~$54K -- but the discounts if you can find one on the lot, plus the financing/lease deals actually would make a 2004 A6 4.2 seem almost reasonably priced, if cars north of $50K can ever be said to be that.

Listen, here is the thing -- thus far, "we" are survivors of terrorism, recession, democrats, republicans and green party candidates -- the economy seems to be close to a tear, or soon will be if it is not. The last 3 years have not been ones that I would like to repeat. A $60K car somehow doesn't seem as necessary as it once was, to me. I see it in my employees -- they want to travel on business less or not at all. They seem to wear their fully paid for cars as a badge of pride and honor (even if they were $50K when new a few years ago).

Weekend cottages on the lake, fine dining, elaborate home theaters and even new houses seem to be taking at least an equal place in the minds of the 35 - 50 years olds that "we" consider to be in our peer group.

I want to be impressed with the car I drive, I am not real interested in impressing you -- that is why I mentioned the Chrysler 300C and the Audi A6 3.2L rather than the 4.2 -- my allroad 2.7T cannot be used anywhere near its capabilities in my medium sized city even.

So, bully for Cadillac in coming up with the STS -- I hope they sell a million of them. I would probably be a customer (or at least much more of a candidate customer) if I felt the STS AWD had sufficient content to impress me beyond the 300C AWD or Acura Rl or my current top contender, the Audi A6 3.2L quattro with navigation and premium package and sport suspension package if one is offered. I'm thinking $50K is plenty to get a competent, fun, safe car that will impress ME.

If the Cadillac has something other than what is on the web and in the fancy brochure that merits another $5 or $10K, OK, maybe I'll consider it. It just seems to be coming to market without that OH WOW something that would justify the extra coin.

Hard as this is for me to say, the Audi 3.2L which my dealer "swears" will be comparably priced with the outgoing 2.7T SLine, well, this new Audi seems like a relative bargain (especially after reading all the "FIRST DRIVE" articles in at least 4 automags.)

The Acura RL SHAWD appeals to the gadget freak lurking just below my epidermis.

It is getting really interesting.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Mark, thanks a lot for your input. Lot of great things for me to think about.

I am thinking on the same wave length as you. I would be able to get the 2004 A6 4.2 fully loaded for the same price as the 2005 A6 3.2 loaded.

300hp vs 255hp. Nice difference. Plus I like the interior and exterior on the 04's better.

In your opinion, how much difference will the car drive etc with the 5spd Tip vs. the 6 spd Tip?

How much difference will the car drive with the sport suspension on the sport package for the 2004 A6 compared to the new suspensions that are standard on the 2005 A6's? ( suposivlely a 34% increase on suspension on the new models, but i think they are not comparing it to the sport pkg that has upgraded suspension on the 2004).

I also agree the deals should be coming with the 05' models coming in.

Mark, I understand you lease your cars mostly. Getting a 2004 A6 4.2 with Sport / Prem / XM sat; ball park for me please; what you would expect to pay cash at your dealer ( relative to invoice etc )and if you leased it what $ amount for 36 month lease would you be around. I wanted to get an idea of what would be realistic for me to shoot for.

Thanks for your Help!
    Config the car you want at the AudiUSA web site. Go to the finance web page. Assume, for the sake of argument that you, out of pocket are putting zero down but that you will get 8% off MSRP -- you might even try 9 or 10% off.

Then click on # of miles 15K per year, for instance and number of months, 36 or 39 for instance (try both, as sometimes there is a hidden kicker in one versus the other).

This calculated number, unless you way over discounted the car will be the starting point for your negotiations.

If the car comes out to be $750/mo for X months with all these gyrations, I would be shocked if your payment was that high. Especially if you already have a car that you like picked out -- the deals, every day seem to be heading in your favor -- the cat is out of the bag. The buying public knows about the new A6 for '05. Every week that passes, means that the deals will get better, unless inventory plummets and then there may be less reason to deal...locally it seems that there are many 04 Audis on the lot, almost too many considering the fact that there will be a brand new one coming in a matter of months and that they are taking orders for 05 Audis NOW.

The new A6 has a reported by the manufacturer 34% stiffer frame than the outgoing model. While this translates, or should, to better handling, I don't want you to think that a 2004 will be a poor handling, driving and riding car. I personally would love to have an 04 with the sport suspension and the V8 makes such sweeeeeet sounds.

At this point, most of the A6's I see on the lot are pretty much loaded -- On*star being the exception rather than commonplace. Sat Nav versions may be a tiny bit harder to find, but even then, the A6 4.2's always seem to be almost fully loaded. Even one or two sport package equipped versions always seem to be available at my dealership.

My guess in terms of monthly payment (forget MSRP for a moment) is that the A6 4.2 will be less per month than a 2005 A6 3.2L -- especially initially.

The A6 3.2L "nicely equipped" will probably be about a hair under $50K for psychological reasons and perhaps to compete with the new Acura RL.

I do not personally know the option packages on the US bound A6 cars for 05. My guess is that there will be 3 "big ones" and some a la carte options. Often 2 of the 3 big ones are config'd by the dealer and then they throw in the rear parktronic sensors or rear seat airbags on some of the models. None of them will be strippies.

There will be, IMHO, more impetus to have more of the upcoming Audis equipped with Sat Nav since Audi for 2005 will offer a full screen version here in the US.

Smart key, bluetooth perhaps, wheel options, sound system options, "premium" package and sport package (hopefully) will be offered. Perhaps an INFOTAINMENT package will be offered too.

The 04 A6 with sat nav, sport, premium and XM with Bose upgrade -- will be very hard to resist if MONEY is an object and you are able to be in the market now.

I, based on my lease, have about a one year +/- a month or two time frame -- I, based on my circumstances, am in the cat bird seat, too.
    Thanks Mark, I will do all that. I am visiting several dealerships over the weekend to check things out.

You have been a big help and I appreciate it. One question you forgot to answer was what the feel or difference would be with the 2004 5spd Tip vs. the 2005 6spd Tip.

I think the sport package with the sport upgraded suspension on the 04' will be very comparable to the 05' 34% increased suspension. Would you agree with that?

Thanks
    Yes, No, But!

Perhaps in terms of handling, a sport packaged A6 4.2 will handle within reason close to the 2005 A6. But the sport 04 will probably ride somewhat more stiffly than the 05.

The stiffer the frame, the better the handling can be without resorting to harsh spring rates and heavy shock damping rates.

Having had a sport suspension equipped A6 4.2, however, I can assure you that the only issue you might have with it is the TIRES -- I had Pirelli P6 summer only tires -- they were noisy and rode hard after 5,000 miles and by 8,000 miles they were so noisy I switched to another tire.

Big difference.

=====

The 6spd tip ought to be even smoother, but again at this level of car, we are talking subtleties. The 5spd also had a sport mode, which I think makes the performance crisp and keeps the engine at its torque peak longer in each gear.

We are talking substantial $$$$$$ savings here, so I would not get too hung up on the extra gear. The V8 is the treat -- and there is no way you can get an 05 with a V8 without some extra large additions to the monthly payment.

Test drive an A6 4.2 sport with XM and premium this weekend -- and make it a looooonnnngggg test drive.

Just 'member what I said about the tires.
    Thanks, I went on Friday to a dealer and he was an A-hole.

Didn't listen to what I was looking for and because it was not on his lot, was trying to sell me on a used A6 then an S4. Spent 15 min. there and said forget it.

Mark, are they not producing any more of the 2004 A6 line anymore? Would make sense with the new model coming out soon, just curious.

Also, I had a weird feeling sitting in the S4, my right leg was leaning against the center console and actually being pushed inward. I am only 5' 8" 160 so size was not the issue. Ever hear of this?

I ask because I wonder if it happens on the A6 as well. Since he had no cars there for me I could not tell.

I will try another dealer next week. And I do remember you talking about putting on some Michelin Pilot tires as well.

Thanks again, let me know what you think!

Chris
    2004 production has or will imminently cease.

The retooling of the plant for the new body parts takes some time. Every year there is a cutoff date for the current year of a few days or perhaps even weeks for the cutover. I heard that the 04's were produced through May.

My dealer, two weeks ago had a huge inventory of A6's, many of them were A6 2.7T Slines (a great car at an even better bargain price than the A6 4.2); however there were at least 3 4.2's -- they, for perhaps obvious reasons, sit until last and then get the big mo discounts.

As, these 4.2's are usually well equipped, color would be your only area, IMO, where you would need to be flexible.

You CANNOT order a new 2004 A6 to be built at this time -- but there are probably 100's of 4.2's that are "for sale" NEW in the US. And, as I noted, the Sline A6 2.7T is a heck of a car -- it is, currently, the quickest Audi A6 made if accelerative times are of concern. Also it has some distinctive things about it that may merit your attention.

Like you, however, knowing what I know about the 4.2 -- it feels as if it is cut from a solid steel block -- there is SOMETHING about it. The front end and the overall look of the 4.2 is more powerful, plus the engine sound is soooooo sweeet.

I have a 2.7T engined 6spd manual allroad presently, the previous two cars were A6 4.2's, preceded by one A6 2.8 predceded by a 4.2 equipped A8 with an S8 suspension and upsized wheels and tires.

I love my 2.7T allroad, don't get me wrong -- but the engine in the 4.2 equipped cars is a big step forward and upward. It is a couple of tenths of a second less quick to 100kph -- but, I dare say, the grin on your face will be broaded when you are behind the wheel of the 4.2 A6.

The fact that right now if you find one to your liking it will almost certainly be a bargain, should make you redouble your quest to find an Audi dealer who does not have his head up his nose.
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 31
    Today put my name on one of 1st 10 A6 cars ordered by local dealer and to arrive in Boston in prob. Oct. Wish I knew what Statos Blue really looked like! Thinking of Acura RL awd - but I love my '01 A6 - (anyone want Silv w/blk with 35K miles?). Anyone have trepidations about a "new" car/model? - Will get a chance to drive before I buy - but...Hey Tom 96 - Edmunds says car=193.5" length - tell us about what you heard. Thanx -Tomm
    FWIW I would have no trepidations about the new car.

Did they quote you a base price? Did you get a quote on the option packages?

What option packages did you order?
  • caslincaslin Member Posts: 16
    update, have just passed the 10K mark with no problems to date. Still a joy to drive, and still glad I got a 6 speed as it appears they are disappearing. Car came with Mich. Pilot all seasons and they are holding up nicely-in vision 30 K+, with 80% highway. Dealer did have to redo window tinting 3 times to get it right (not all windows every time), so I almost abandoned my dealer. Oil changes between dealer service (do not leave any oil in your car for 10K miles-even Mobil 1 which I use) are a pain-have to use ramps and remove 22 fasteners of various styles to remove skid plate. I can only imagine how few of these would get replaced by the kid at the quick-lube (my dealer is 90 miles away). I believe there must be a better way. If anyone has removed the air filter for inspection, bet you wish you hadn't-an extra inch or two would be nice. Aside from the fact that all cars are getting harder to work on (Lexus dealer must of had to drop the motor on my wife's RX 300 to change plugs considering the $500 bill I got for it) I have truly enjoyed "driving & owning" my first Audi. Got the Burgundy, and dark colors are difficult to maintain. Managed to get some water spots on the hood and thought I'd never get rid of them (anyone know a trick!). No regrets here except sorry to see the turbo and manual disappear from the 05.
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 31
    mark-cars all coming thru with all the plusses - wud have ordered anyways - convenience pkg, premiu, pkg, 17" wheels, bose, and nav. (only thing didnt get=keyless entry)- no pricing yet -prob. $45k
  • prodozeprodoze Member Posts: 4
    Great article - thanks. Really interested in this vehicle if I can pony up the bucks.
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    No, this won't be a rave about how the reliability is bad (although I would have to agree after my current "certified" pre-owned A4).
    I'm moving to Charleston, SC and there's no dealer for 100 miles. Annoying... Anyone on the SC coast with an Audi?

I'm looking forward to the new A6. I owned a 2001 2.7T and loved it. However, the handling/steering was not up to par with a BMW or indeed my A4. Hopefully this will improved. From the photos, the interior looks great. However, "the knob" scares me.....
  • hjcanterhjcanter Member Posts: 31
    I will be viewing the new a6 in person at the dealership annapolis, md next thursday or friday. I have been looking at the a6 and the rl. Have a deposit on the rl already...but keeping the options open!
    for the new A6 are almost compelling, and if there were chances for there to be raves for the new RL and there were none, well, that would pretty well cinch things up, on paper at least.

There will certainly be some accelerative differences -- I'm thinking at least a 1 second advantage for the Acura.

But, acceleration is not everything, as we all know.

The A6, if it comes to market with a 7.1 0 -60 time will have some splainin' to do in the marketing for the product, tho.

And if the Rl comes in at 5.9 seconds, well that would have to give some of us "pause" to consider at what point acceleration sways us to or from a given choice. . . .

Time will tell.

Of course if the A6 really comes in well equipped at $45k+ and the RL is @ $49,600 -- that difference may, MAY I SAY, sway someone.

Lease deals however may be brought to bear to mitigate the MSRP and 0-60 times.

If this is the new generation of cars, think about the next refresh -- holy cow batman!
  • roadster1roadster1 Member Posts: 1
    I was considering a new A6 untill I saw what they did with that god awful Grill. It looks like the Kia Grill on there "luxury car" It is like a really bad joke. I can not be the only one that see's this. I do like Audi. The new RL is a sculptured master piece.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    I agree with you roadster. It looks like its just got this massive hole in the front. Maybe if it had a different grille, the A6 would look great.
    I don't have the same negatives as you guys, but I'll admit it will take some getting used to, but overall I like the look -- as in it is growing on me.

I run hot and cold, too, on the Acura. I find NOTHING to complain about the new look (well maybe the butt, but no where near the ooogliness of the BMW family currently, which, IMHO is the worst of the worst of the High Buck cars -- Bangle must love Pontiacs, is all I can say.)

The new Acura is more European, IMHO, than previous RL's -- and I must say I think the TL is darn near gorgeous.

Get used to the Audi trout mouth, though, or if you like the current look, quick get a current A4 or an A4 MY 2005 -- the 2005.5's will almost certainly have the big mouth!

I keep saying, and I may prove myself wrong -- that the two cars (and a runner up) that currently have my attention are the Acura and the Audi (RL and A6) for '05. The Chysler 300C AWD is still a contender just because it seems to be a very high value -- indeed that is what has replaced the new Caddy STS AWD since it will most likely be way north of $55K equipped with AWD and the sport stuff I would think it would take to make it comparable to the Audi and Acura in terms of "handling!" The 300C with a sport package could change everything, especially if maxed out it was around $42,500 (with sporty this that and the other do-dads.)

Maybe I have become more pragmatic -- for, those who know me well, would probably say "this is the guy who paid $72K for an Audi A8 and thought it was high value." Well, I'm over 50 now, and, as they say "been there, done that!"

Oh BTW my dealer sorta confirms that a nicely equipped A6 3.2L (premium and navigation and probably "infortainment" will be just north of $45K -- but what makes me wonder a little bit is that it has all been "verbal" between Audi of America and the dealer and likewise between the dealer an me.) On the other hand, the Acura dealer says fully loaded (are there NO options?) the RL will be $49,650 -- as if to say "fur sure fur sure, dude!"
    hey hey, just my first impression thoughts. It will surely grow on me, since even the 5 series has grown on me.
    Mark, have you seen the new flash on the audiusa.com site? It shows the 2005 A6 and the interior looks sweet. I am getting used the the new grill and the rear end is better in my opinion than the 04' A6.

The 2 cars I am considering are the 05' A6 and the new 3 series from BMW coming out in April/May of 05'. I beleive the interior will kick [non-permissible content removed] on the A6 over the BMW but will loose in the horsepower range.

BMW 3 series is suppose to have a larger car than the current 3 series and not have the messed up look of the new 5 series. It actually is going to look very similar to the 03' 5 series which i think looks great. BMW 3 series will also offer 2 different engines as well and from what i hear, the upgraded engine will have 270-290 hp and be priced a hair above the V6 05' A6.

Interesting huh.

Check out this link to see a video footage of the BMW 3 series and let me know what you think.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/video_gallery/video.php?id=38053

just click on the banner and off you go.
    . . .the car still looks a little smallish, however.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Hey Mark! We share same transmission and color of our all road. You have helped me in the past on the audiworld site. Thanks always.

I have a way to go on my lease, but naturally have to look at the new A6 and the goatee look of the front is growing on me also. The interior is a natural progression of an already great design.

I might miss the manual, but the new tranny sounds promising, and maybe this car is more about smooth cruising than the sport of it. There are other cars that should be considered if that is the way to go. Like the new 3 bimmer. But I am really fond of the "audi thing".

The 0-60 is an issue that only driving will solve. I had a 2001 E-430 and regretted the extra 10G I spent as the car was faster, but I really never used the power as much. I like the rush, but in the daily use and pre occupation of daily life, it became less important. 0-60 times are not as telling as 30-60 times. Quattro eats up time but carves the twisties oh so sweet.

Japanese cars to me are gadget prone and lack soul. They are well executed with nice build quality, but they strive for perfection. The LS lexus is almost perfect, but lacks character. Even my old VW quantum had a sole no honda ever had. They are great values, but just miss a certain aspect I enjoy in a car. The new M45 Infiniti looks nice, has v8 power and to be under 50k. That should be considered also.

I guess the german feel is still appealing to me rather than the sythetic or "virtual" feel the Japenese brands seem to apply. They do a great job in simulating a charactor, but seem to miss the mark on creating one.
    I know the 05' A6 3.2 V6 is claiming to clock in at 6.9 seconds 0-60. Anyone heard any times for the big bad 4.2 05' V8 0-60?

I guess with the quattro we couldn't expect it to keep up with the BMW equivelant.

Mark, do you know in Feb of 05' what major changes they are making to the A4 with body style interior and exterior as well as engine changes?

Thanks
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    >I agree with you roadster. It looks like its just got this massive hole in the front. Maybe if it had a different grille, the A6 would look great.<

I have to concur. From the side and rear, this car is killer. Handsome, elegant -- looks like its going fast while its standing still. But look at the front end, it looks like a truck backed up into it and punched out a square hole in the hood. Bloody awful.

Maybe there were three A6 design committees: one for the back end, one for the side, and one for the front. Apparently the front design team must have been drinking heavily while out at a bar with Chrysler's design people, because that's exactly what the A6 front end mimics. There's nothing original there. What a shame.
  • ocrossocross Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of the first delivery dates for the '05 A6? I've been told by the dealer in Phoenix that I can expect to see delivery in September? Most sites give a later date?.....
  • stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    Hey,

my dad just ordered a 2005 A6 4.2 quattro on Wednesday.
    Exterior colour: nightblue
    Interiour: cremebeige
    0-100 km/h time is 6.1 sec (0-60 mph will be around 5.9)
    He'll take delivery in week 30. I'll post some pics.
    Thanks for the info steher. Where did you get the 0-60 in 5.9 sec data?

I am looking at getting either the 3.2 A6 or the 4.2 A6. The big factor is going tobe the $ difference as well as the horsepower difference. I heard the 3.2 will be around 6.9 sec, does the sound right to you?

Thanks
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    MY all road 2.7 bi-turbo 6speed is quick, but Rarley do I flat out race off the line from first gear as it is clumsy to do so. The real acceleration is in the higher speed range. I wonder just how important that 3.2 0-60 time will be.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    he ordered the car already? where did he get the information on specs and pricing and colors?
    maybe 6.1 is auto, and 5.9 is manual?
  • stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    @ bmwccc

the 60 miles are 96,5 km/h, so the acceleration time may be a bit shorter than the 0-100 kilometers per hour. The German specs are the official times from Audi: http://www.audi.com/de/de/neuwagen/a6/limousine/durchsicht/techni- sche_daten.jsp

Base-price for the 3.2 6-speed is 40700 Euros (there is no 6speed-manual-quattro yet), and 45400 Euros for the 3.2 quattro 6-speed-tiptronic. Base price for the 4.2 quattro 6speed-tiptronic is 60000 Euros. No manual for the 4.2 available.
    The 3.2 FSI has 255 hp and the 4.2 has 335 hp.
    But be careful - these are all European specs.

@nyca

As you can see from my flag behind my profile name, I'm from Germany, and over here the car can be ordered since a few weeks now.

@boomsama

As i stated above, there is no manual 4.2 quattro available, only with 6speed auto.
    0-60 time could also be 6.1 or 6.0, because the difference between 96,5 and 100 km/h is not very big.

Greetings from Germany
    well we learn something every day dont we :)
    Have fun with your new A6 steher, be sure to give us some info about its ride/comfort if you can :D
    US Audi A6 for '05 specifications re: 0-60mph have not been published anywhere that is "officially" Audi of America, as of June 11 -- if such info has been published, I certainly can' find it (and I've tried).

Car magazines (US car magazines) have tested and tested and tested the new 05 A6 (primarily in Italy, as I recall). I assume, that these tests may have been with European spec cars tricked out with options to be "like" the AudiUSA configurations.

Prices in Euros can be translated easily -- but, if history is any guide, German prices are higher than US prices for the same "options."

The quickest 0-60mph times I have read are 3.2L = 6.8 and 4.2L 5.8. The slowest are 3.2L 7.1 and 4.2L 6.0. Add 'em all up, divide by three, carry the two, subtract and half adjust.

The winner? Here in the US, my contention, BTW, is that the 3.2L MUST be 0-60MPH no slower than 6.9 seconds. The outgoing 2.7T Sline claims 0-60MPH in 6.4 seconds with the 5spd tip.

The outgoing 2.7T Sline does have 265HP and 280ft pounds -- bettering the incoming 3.2L in both specs.

The outgoing 2.7T "standard" w/6spd manual was 0-60mph @ 6.0 seconds, making it the quickest Audi in the land next to the S4.

For press purposes and because there will be Comparison Tests and "click here" for a comparison to XYZ on Audi's competitor's web sites, whatever has to be done to allow a sub 7.0 0-60mph time will be done. Lower final drive? Torque tuned to come on at lower RPM's? Something will be done.

Marketing, marketing, marketing!

There will be no stick -- and that is my prediction, not my hope.

The price point will be such that, it would be cheaper to fly to the US (from Germany), buy your new 2005 A6 here, and ship it back -- than buy it in Germany. This, is illegal (although there are procedures to do this if you prove you didn't buy it here for this very purpose. And, as a US citizen, I could buy my new Audi here, and, if I was moving to Germany, I could ship it back to Germany and not be considered on the "reverse Gray Market," so to speak.)

My dealer is currently taking orders, there is a full order guide available that has EVERYTHING you need to know to pre-order one -- it does not, however, have a price list. Dealder claim first ones will arrive on October 31st (or thereabouts). They have NEVER been right in the past, usually there is ONE car on that date and it is NOT the one YOU ordered.
  • loslobos71loslobos71 Member Posts: 28
    Automobile Mag just did a comparison of the 2005 A6 3.2, 2005 E320, and 2005 530i. Guess which won? The Audi.
    It seems like this will be the car to beat, and will take over the mid-size luxury V6 class, especially at such a"bargain" (by comparison to BMW and MB) However, i dont think audi will come close in the V8's....
    What exactly did they compare to determine this?

why not the V8's?
    Hey Mark in Cincinatti, why isn't there much press or talk about the upcoming changes to the A4 for Feb. of 05' next year?

Do you know if these guys are also getting a face lift like the A6?

Are they going to offer some beefed up engines like the A6 is going to get. I would think so if they want to continue to try to compete with the new 3 Series BMW that is coming out in June/July of 05'.

Let me know

Thanks
    Hey, They compared the cars in terms of: comfort, drive, speed, looks, luxuriousness----basically everything. They didn't go into huge detail but they clearly said that the Audi was the biggest and best. I think the reason that they didn't do the V8's was because it would be much closer (at least the E500 vs. 545i) and would require a LOT of pages. I don't think hat the press has driven the 2005 A6 4.2 yet. Also, the whole "point" of the article was to determine which German car the new GS, RL, and STS have to beat.
    Another thing--my Audi dealer (Don Rosen, near Philly) is going to have the 2005 A6 in the showroom Monday for people to go in and stuff. CANT WAIT!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'd wait for a real comparison before writing off Mercedes and BMW's 6 cylinder cars. They both will no doubt get upgrades sometime next year, E350 (260hp+) and 535i(? 260hp+).

M
    Thats true but....:
    1)I'm in the market for a new car THIS fall (leaning towards 2005 A6)
    2) And Audi won because it was the biggest (most comfortable), It had standard all wheel drive, and was the cheapest,
    they also praised its driving though....
    The RL and GS are about to released soon and are in the same category. Maybe you should consider them as well?
    I really like the RL but the closet dealer for Acura's is horrible and the next closet is wayy too far. The GS seems very nice but it will be out 5-6 months too late... I also have a 2002 Audi A6 2.7T and love it, but my lease is up in Sept. My dealer will have a 2005 A6 on the floor to go in and stuff on Monday. I'll post my impressions monday night!
    The order guides, thus far, for the upcoming A4 show little change. The .5 designation includes the trout mouth and a full screen navi system.

This is a half step, so says my dealer. There will be new underpinnings in the 2006, but the phase in of the look of the Audi face commences this coming February here in the US.

On*star is being dropped, the current factory phone is being dropped -- both telematics and the phone will be updated with what? Pure digital, I assume, bluetooth capabilities, perhaps? DVD navigation is almost certain as are some other refinements -- the 06 A4 promises to do for the A4 what the new A6 has done for that line as adapted from the A8 -- if this makes sense, the new for 06 A4 will probably be a mini-A8, just like the A6 is apparently a midi-A8.

Look for the 3.2L in the A4 -- I cannot get any info clarifying if there will be an S4 for .5 or 06 yet. Currently, orders for 05 S4's and A4's can be placed -- the 3.0 and 1.8T at this moment are on the order sheet for 05.

This, may be a temporary departure for Audi as you know they generally offer the A4 with the bottom line 6 cyc from the A6 -- which would be a 255HP sweet sweet engine indeed, especially in A4 guise.

My current choices are A6 and Acura RL, but if the A4 would get the 3.2 engine and perhaps a 20mm wheelbase extension, well, it too could be a contender, especially if the manual transmission was still available.
    My Audi dealership will have the a6 tomorrow night and Friday. The car is making the go-around! I am really looking forward to seeing the car in person. Still, it is going to be a tough decision between the a6 and the rl.
    In the article, the reason they compared the 6's is because they are the volume leaders for those cars. They said only 10% are the 8's. I will probably be looking at the v-8 for the a6, being a 10 percenter!
    can we drive the car or just sit in it? What car do you have now? Please post your impressions of this car!
    We will not be able to take it for a spin. Look and touch, but no drive! I had a Audi a6 2.7 and sold it last year for a Merc clk 430 conv. Needed a toy. Drove my wife's old MDX over the winter and sold it two months ago. Don't know if I am going to trade in the Merc. or keep it. Gotta beg the wife.
    Mark, when you say underpinnings, what do you mean?

It sounds like what you are saying is the exterior look of the 2005.5 will follow suit to the A6 and the A8. As well, bluetooth will be added as it is with the 2005 A6.

Soooooo, what type of changes will the 2005.5 have vs. the 2006 A4? Engines, interior, etc? Any type of exterior and width changes in the A4 like they are doing with the 2005 A6?

Will the 3.2 FSI engine will be an option for the 2005.5 A4 or the 2006 A4? If that is true, that means a nice V6 with 255 hp doing 0-60 in 6.2 - 6.4 sec, right?

Do you think then the engine options for the 2005.5 / 2006 A4 will be a 1.8T, a 3.0 220hp and a 3.2L FSI 255hp? Then a S4 with 400hp?

I am trying to weigh my options between the 3 series 2005 BMW and the A4 or the A6. I don't really need a large sedan so the A4 or 3 series will be fine in size. I just want luxury like the Audi's have, comfort, and power with a great exilerating driving experience.

One thing I noticed when I sat in the S4 was that my right leg was rubbing against the center console. In fact, it seemed my leg was being pushed inward and felt very akward. Anyone know what i am talking about?

If so, is it the same feeling in the A4?
    . . .the 2006 A4 is more than a cosmetic makeover, which is aparently all you get with the 2005.5.

The dealer is not being coy, as far as I can tell, I actually got to look at the order book and the pre-announcement for the February 2005.5 A4. The pre-announcement suggests that there will be bigger changes in the 2006 than in the 5.5 model.

For example: for 05 the 1.8T and the 3.0 soldier on and there is no mention of a 3.2L.

When '06's [A4's] are ordered (and this is the fuzzy part) they can be ordered with 2.0 @ 200HP and 3.2L at 255HP. There is no mention at all of the S4's -- although you can order a new S4 (as an 05 model) and it will be produced.

Will the 06 A4 have, for example, a longer wheelbase? (I hope so) and a wider track and better balance, a la 2005 A6? (again I hope so).

The speculation from my dealer is "yes" for the 06 and that for the 05 the differences will be sublte, but the 05.5 will go to a full screen navi system and have the corp front grill.

There is information and speculation here and on the net -- the dealer actually had a "sales training manual" and an order guide. I spent most of my time looking at the A6 order guide and new for 05 features (bi-xenons that articulate, for example), 10 phones (bluetooth) support, DVD navi and MMI integration with phone and voice mail, bla bla bla -- optional and standard wheels, tires, sizes, etc, too.

Let's see -- packages but no prices. Standard equipment, but only an overview -- not a full brochure, that is.

The question I asked everyway I would imagine was "what about the S4?" I could not get clarity on that one for 2005.5 or 2006 models.

Net: information seems to be plentiful on A4 for 05 and 05.5, but sketchy beyond that.

We (the dealer and I) added two and two and came up with 4.5 -- we may or may not be entirely correct, but the cues, as mentioned above, seem to suggest the direction for the A4, which is, to say and repeat -- another mini version of the A8, as the A6 will be the midi version.

I will work on getting additional clarification -- just be aware that while some of this is beyond being changed, some of it has not yet been finalized for US delivery (such as the 06 data).
    I just got back from the dealership to look at the new a6. It was a European model with 6 cyl., cloth seats, and manual trans. No bells and whistles. Good headroom (no sunroof) and the seats were very nice. I am 6'3" and even with the driver's seat adjusted to my driving position, I could sit behind myself and have plenty on room. Trunk was a good size and a neat feature, there are two hooks on springs that hold grocery bags, etc. You just hang them from the hooks and they stay upright. There is also a storage tray that pulls out from under the driver's seat. Did not check if there is one under the passenger seat. Glovebox is very small but have storage under seat(s), in doors, in the armrest and under the armrest.

One thing I will say, and that is the car looks much better in person then it does in the pics! Playing around with the MMI is neat too. Especially when you try the nav system and you are searching for addresses in the Vatican. (Euro. model you know!)

The Audi salespeople were in training for this new car and they are not only going over the car but the competitiors as well. One thing I do know, you guys on this board know as much if not more about this car and its competitors, than 90+% of the salespeople.
    Mark, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like some very interesting cars will be available as 06' models next year for me. A6 05' / A4 06' and bmw 3 series.

Hate to wait 1 year but if I am spending 45k+, better to wait for the best thing out there.

Any additional info you come by from your dealer in the future, please pass on to us.

Thanks