Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    bmwccc:

Let me know how the '04 A6 4.2 you test feels to drive, as well as how it sounds. Also, whether it was one with sport suspension or not. (You may recall from some of my earlier posts that I'm considering getting an '05 A6 4.2 with air suspension so that I can use the comfort setting in the city, but then be able switch to the lower, dynamic (more sporty) setting when I'm on less bumpy streets or roads.

While I'm waiting for all the '05's, I may go test an '04 A6 4.2 (w/o
    sport suspension), too, along with an '04 A8L (w/air suspension) just to see if air suspension is worth waiting for.
    Mark:

As usual, you've got another good idea. Before reading your latest message, I had arranged to test an '04 A8L and an '04 A6 4.2 (won't
    know if it has sport suspension or not till I get there) first thing tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Once I've driven those two cars, I'll see if I can persuade the dealer to let me try an '04 Allroad 4.2 as well.

Report on my experiences to follow later tomorrow.
    I can't seem to get the "Explore the new 2005" microsite to open.

When I click on it, I just get the Home page screen with the picture and music to come up again. Maybe you can tell me if there's a trick to opening that new microsite.

FYI, for a really in-depth article plus many, many pix of the '05 A6, go to www.germancarfans.com, click on the Audi tab at the top of the page, scroll just to the bottom of the Audi News Articles section and click on Audi News Archive on the right side of the page, then scroll down to the "New Audi A6 - In Depth" article on 4-8-04 and open it up. There's 10+ pages and well over 100 pix to keep you drooling!!
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    As a diehard netscape user, I may or may not be able to help you.

In either of the two big web clients, Netscape or Explorer, you have the ability to enable or disable POPUPS -- my guess is that you have them disabled.

There is a feature that allows you to enable them for a particular website or temporarily for all sites -- you pick.

I have a tool bar that says "pop ups" allowed or blocked. When this happens to me, I simply reload and say popups allowed and usually this cures the problem.

Luck.

Netscape forever, Explorer never!

Again, screaming voice in the wildnerness, I know, I know.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Mark (or anyone) -
    Does the order guide (or any other official Audi publication) specify final drive and 6th gear (Tiptronic) ratios for the 4.2L and 3.2L?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Glad to see that AWD versions will likely have 21.1 gal fuel tanks . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Mark –

Thanks.

My concerns are: The (now infamous) Passat W8 was introduced in Europe – and to the motoring US press with a 3.0:1 final drive. When actually introduced (that’s really much too strong a term – when available) in the US the final drive had been changed to 3.5:1. This is a rather substantial change. Apparently, this change was based largely on feedback from the US press.

The 3.5:1 certainly improved lower speed acceleration (the classic & hallowed 0-60 times), at some expense in highway fuel economy.

With an 18% greater spread in ratios from the new, improved 6 speed Tiptronic, I am very curious to see what the choice of final drive will be for the US. Personally, I am much more concerned with highway / freeway driving range on a tank (hence, glad to see 80L vs. 70L) than 0-60 times. I expect that with 300+ hp (will our version also be 335?) and 420 Newton-metres of TQ (309.7345132743363 Pound Feet???), the 4.2 V8 will move the new A6 with respectable vigor. The 0-100 KM time of 6.1 sec. quoted by Audi is “sufficient” for my entertainment.

I will be very interested to see the final US configuration, when it does arrive . . .

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Also wondering when the first ’05 A6s will arrive at US dealers . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    . . I have been diligently looking for information pertaining to the final drive ratio and the gear ratios of the 6 forward speeds in the new A6 tiptronic (and also I am looking to differentiate between the V6 and V8.)

The European version will, almost certainly, have a higher final drive ratio. Both 5th and 6th gears are likely to be "overdriven" (6th is certain, 5th could be a 1:1). As you noted, the reasons to lower the final drive for the US market would be to assure that the new 3.2L V6 could "show" a 0 - 60 number of less than 7 seconds.

The cost of doing this, as you correctly pointed out, would be that gas milage will be lower.

In the US market, this is not as much of an issue since we do have lower gas prices [by far when compared with Europe]and I read that the FSI engine CAN use regular (unconfirmed, only read it from one source) and achieve its advertised power.

Moreover, long high speed stretches are more and more difficult here in the US, so the stop light drag strip numbers are THE key numbers.

I am, at this point, concerned that the final drive ratios I am likely to find will be NOT for the US market.

I'll tell you whatever and wherever I get this info, however. Then you can extrapolate or interpolate or whatever, any way you want.
    Mark, bmwccc, et al:

Tested an '04 Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic (no 4.2 Tip was available) and an '04 A6 4.2 with sport package (sport seats, suspension, and performance tires) this morning.

My goals were to see the effects, if any, of the Allroad's air suspension at Level 3 (comfort setting)and Level 1 (sport setting), and the 4.2's sport suspension, etc., on both bumpy streets and smooth roads.

The Allroad was both quick and very responsive but,
    frankly, I didn't feel much difference between the
    higher (comfort) setting and the lowest (sport) setting. The 4.2 felt noticably faster and a bit more precise in handling; and it sounded great!!
    To my surprise, the sport suspension in the 4.2 was not at all harsh.
    Unfortunately, the roads near the dealer were not
    as rough as those in downtown Phila. so, to some extent, the test was not as complete as I'd hoped.
    Guess I'll just have to try the same tests closer
    to home, preferably when the '05's are available.
    Till then, though I'm still looking to get an '05 4.2 V8, I'm now on the fence about air suspension vs. sport suspension,and leaning toward the latter.
    "sport suspension in the 4.2 was not at all harsh. "

Interesting. What size make and model were the tires?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Agreeing that top tires can make an enormous difference in both handling and ride . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    From the R&T test of the Audi A8L:

Trans ratios:
    1: 4.17 mph at max. rpm: 39
    2: 2.34 mph at max. rpm: 70
    3: 1.52 mph at max. rpm: 107
    4: 1.14 mph at max. rpm: 130 (at 6200)
    5: 0.87 mph at max. rpm: 130 (at 4700)
    6: 0.69 mph at max. rpm: 130 (at 3750)

Final Drive: 3.32

Curb Weight: 4440
    [A6 4.2 2004: 4024 - Source: AudiUSA]

Rpm @ 60 mph: 1700

0 - 60: 6.7 sec. {AudiUSA quotes: 6.3)
    0 – 100: 16.3
    SS Quarter Mile: 15.0 at 95.7mph

EPA: 17 / 24

Now since internal trans. gear ratios are typically much more difficult to change than the final drive ratio, I’d expect that the new A6 with the 6 speed Tip. will keep these ratios.

Assuming that Audi is able to keep the weight for the 2005 4.2 reasonable – in fact, I hope that it will maintain the same 10% or so less than the A8 – I’d “extrapolate or interpolate or whatever” that Audi will likely utilize the same final drive as the A8, the same ratios in the 6 speed Tip., and that the acceleration will be better than the A8L. And the EPA estimates will also be better. Based on the 0 – 100KM time (6.1 sec.) that Audi quotes for the European version, I’d guess (not even enough real data here for a Fearless Prediction, I suppose) something like 14.6 - 14.7 @ 98.5 in the quarter. And EPA 18 / 26.

That level of performance would be acceptable to me – further assuming that the pricing for a well equipped A6 V8 comes in substantially below the $62K+ that Caddy is apparently going to charge for a V8 STS with AWD . . .

- Ray
    Wondering if the old RS6 “Sound Enhancing Exhaust System” (Optional, at $950 – but sounded worth it to me!) could somehow be adapted to the new A6 V8???????
    2022 X3 M40i
    In my previous posts, I suggested that the air suspension did not impart a pillow ride. And, the added spring travel that level 2 has over 1 and 3 has over 2 only caused a slight improvement in ride quality -- to the detriment of "performance" with respect to the suspension.

I am not at all surprised that the sport suspension set up on the A6 4.2 was not harsh. I might go so far as to call it firm or firm-er, but my experience has, frankly, always been the opposite with Audi's sport set ups (the springs, struts and roll-bars are key to the handling -- but the wheel/tires (particularly the tires) can really have a huge impact).

The tires, if they are quiet and supple, lend a quality of ride that, although "firmer", is, in some ways "less jarring" than the non-sport set up.

The new A6 being 34% stiffer will only make the ride and handling improve (and even more so with the sport set up). For the money, I'd go with the sport set up. And, I would want to know if it is possible to have both the air suspension and the sport set up. Of course, I would then want to know one further thing, do you plan to raise and lower the suspension regularly and frequently?

If the answer is "seldom" or "rarely" well you might have answered your own question.

Finally, do you plan on keeping the car beyond the warranty? The air suspensions do have more moving parts and mechanical complexity -- and I can only assume associated cost. And, to repeat, I have had no issues with my air suspension, but I would not "trust" it without the Audi warranty -- the cost of repair, I assume, could be frightening!

Keep up the test drives.

P.S. the only sport suspension I have read about that is claimed to be HARSH is the BMW X5 sport set up. I have no personal experience with it to confirm this journalists comments though (Car and Driver, as I recall).
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Auditor

This is not a pop-up. And the good news is you are hitting the correct link. It did that to me several times, get out of the Audi site completely and jump back in a try it. That is how I was able to view it several different times.

Let me know what you think of the color of the A6,i think it is the Oyster Gray.
    Auditor

Also try to hit the button 4 or 5 times in a row and it finally pops up.

let me know if that worked
  • mkladymklady Member Posts: 2
    Test drove an Audi A6 3.0 Quattro sedan for first time today. Have been looking for a new car for about a month. Liked everything about the car except wish the 3.0 had more horse power.

Dealer has a 2004 3.0 demo car with 5600 miles on it which has an MSRP of $44,000 marked down $5,000 because of the mileage. Demo car has premium package, upgraded stereo with satellite radio, onstar, heated seats, and 17" wheels. I love the inside look and good handling of this car - but concerned if acceleration is enough.
    Anyone out there who has an A6 3.0 who can give me some feedback? Don't think I can afford to bump up to the 2.7T or I would do so. Having trouble finding a car with mix of luxury and sportiness in my price range ($400 to $500 a month for lease) Any other suggestions of other cars to check out? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • mkladymklady Member Posts: 2
    Sorry - forgot to mention that I need feedback on the A6 3.0 Quattro ASAP. There is someone else interested in it (saw person at dealership and spoke with them briefly) but dealer said that since he had been working with me first he would hold it for me until tommorrow to do official paperwork. I think I want the car but am looking for reassurance since I never considered Audi cars before and am a little concerned about acceleration. Thanks again!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    Don't buy any car unless you've driven it yourself. Only you can decide whether it has enough acceleration, find out for yourself.

Don't let them stampede you either, good A6s aren't that hard to come by.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

The inventory levels of A6's -- including the sweet Slines (if you can take an automatic) -- are fairly high right now. I see, in my crystal ball, deep unhealable discounts coming within 60 days -- you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be amazed!

Come one come all -- the discounts are coming, the discounts are coming.

And, yes, there are discounts every year -- but this year is special. Since 1997 (when the 98's came out) there has not been a new, known to be coming and when, A6 in the pipeline. Now that there is one, folks who may have been considering a new Audi are really considering a NEW Audi (an '05). There will be, this year, deeper discounts and better deals. Now, funny thing, you have to be in the timing mode -- for as the new models begin to trickle in, but there is not abundant inventory, the dealers will have to balance their sales efforts and incentives.

They would like to have "just enough" inventory, that is.

What I am seeing at my local dealerships (we have two Audi dealers in Cincy) is an inventory build up (especially of Slines and 3.0's -- and the beginnings of some pretty agressive discounts or lease deals). My guess is, the Fed just did us a favor yesterday. The cap costs will most likely be reduced, which, even with lower residuals, should effect the lease prices on these brand new leftover models.

I noticed, too, that my dealer has put several of these 04 A6's in service as "loaner cars" -- quite possibly because of the way the Audi Advantage may compensate them for customer transportation during service and repair visits.

I would think, however, the next 60 days, if you watch the dealer's lot REGULARLY and FREQUENTLY will be THE time to buy or lease a brand new A6, just so long as you won't feel shortchanged 60 days down the road when the new glitzy A6's come to the same lot. . . .
    Ray:

The 2004 A8 4.2V8 I test drove yesterday had 17 inch 5-spoke forged alloy wheels (with a shiny chrome finish) Continental ContiSport Contact 255/40
    -17 YR speed rated tires. The wheels were those shown in picture D on p. 44 in the 2004 Audi A6 brochure.
    Chris:

I hit the Explore the 2005 A6 button several times in a row as you suggested but still can't egt it to open. Maybe you can post the link to it if you open it again, and I'll type that in to see if I can go to it directly. In the meantime, I looked in my copy the the 2004 A8 brochure
    and saw an oyster grey metallic (a very handsome, dark grey) - if you're
    seeing a really dark metallic grey, that must be it. And, the 3 pages I
    faxed you about the 2005 A6 lists oyster grey metallic as the only grey
    available (at least initially) for 2005.

If you do any test drives (with or without you Dad) this weekend, let us know what you drove and what your reactions were!!
    Mark:

I think your use of "firm" to describe the A6 4.2 sport suspension
    accurately describes what I felt in my test drive yesterday morning. One of our other cars is a '96 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon (the first yr. it came to the U.S.) with inordinately stiff suspension. It's my wife's car and, though she hates the stiff ride in the city, she's is so used to the car she won't let me get rid of it (for an Allroad if I could). Frankly, I detest that Volvo!!

As to whether one can have both air suspension and sport suspension at the same time, you may recall that I asked you that question several posts back. When I asked that question of the (now) 4 Audi dealers I've
    spoken with, they each said they didn't believe Audi would allow a buyer to order the "sport package" and "air suspension" on the same new car but, as I believe you said in one of your previous posts, one could
    always order air suspension and then have a dealer or mechanic install
    the sport "suspension" struts, rollbars, etc., on their own.

In answer to two of your questions, I would plan to use the air suspension at Level 3 in Phila. and at Level 1 outside of it, so I would be using it with some frequency. I also would probably keep the car beyond the warranty period, since I have several cars and no one of them gets very many miles a year. To put it another way, if I like a car I keep it (often too long).

Lastly, I'm intrigued by your comment about tires. To reduce the harshness of my wife's Volvo's ride (in the city), I recently switched
    from Michelin to Bridgestone tires and the ride was much less harsh.
    With that in mind, over the past few years, which brands of tires have you found to provide a relatively smoother (or less harsh) ride on your various Audis? If you have a choice or original equipment tire brand on the 2005 A6 you buy, which brand or brands would you prefer?

I'm enjoying our dialog (it's been very informative), and hope you are as well.
  • jimmersjimmers Member Posts: 4
    Mark:

Audi is running a pretty sweet lease deal on the SLines now. $2,000 dealer cash and a money factor of .00020 -- which works out to 1/2%. In fact, I got an internet offer of $1,900 BELOW invoice.

That sounds pretty good to me. Hard to believe it will get too much better.

Do you think it's worth waiting? This deal apparently ends on July 6th.
    Go for it!
    Yokohama AVS dB2; Falken Azenis ST115; Cooper Zeon 2XS; Dunlop SP9000's (short life, but good); Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Asymetrico (sp?).

I have a propensity to go for Ultra High Perofmance and All Season (like the Yokos) if I can get them.

The other tires have been good to excellent and smooth performers.
    Rgr that!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    My buddy who owns an A4 was at the Audi dealership tonight talking to a salesperson and the guy told him that Audi will terminate any A6 lease as long as you get another Audi (or VW).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Could we have some verification that this is indeed an Audi thing and not just a dealer promo?

Thanks.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    What a waste!

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0407_first_audia6/index- .html

This magazine is little more than advertising. Wouldn't be surprised if the manufactuers wrote some of the copy.

Been invited to a walk-around/sit-down for the 2005 A6 at my dealer's next Thursday. Hope to visit, and if so, will report my impressions.
    imagine, that a road test in Motor Trend that reads like a press release!

Wh'da thunk from the magazone whose COTY selections have included the Chevette, the Pacer and the Alliance.

I knew there was a reason I don't subscribe to MT. But, truth be told, despite the obvious "press-release-like" prose, this tracks with:

Car and Driver, Car, European Car, Automobile and Road & Track -- and I hear too, Autoweek. The car magazines are smitten -- yet, take a stroll back to the early to mid 1990's and then the late 1990's -- the "first takes" on many (not all) Audi-cars [and others to be fair] are often love fests.

Then the real road tests and comparos start and what was once all lovey -dovey and complementary translates into a mid-pack showing in a 7 car test.

I don't dispute that MT has slipped (but they have recruited some talent from C&D -- see the new issue for the "fond farewell" from the Editor in Chief) -- but they might just "not to be counted out, yet."

Currently I find little to compliment MT on -- but remember, in THIS case, the A6 seems to be everyone's favorite new car.
    but the A8 just got voted "America's best luxury sedan" by the readers of Autoweek, it beat the LS430 which finished second and the Maybach (a limousine, not a lux sedan!), third.

Actually it is fair to say the A6 is getting some good, even great reviews.

Mark, I posted a question for you on the 2005 A4 board. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    we're simply not used to or psychologically prepared for getting glowing reviews for Audi's. Come to think of it, the cars had been getting better each time. Now, having said that, I'll pass up on the '05 and wait until they come up with the stick shift. Enjoy the ride. Mario
  • ethinkethink Member Posts: 32
    Audi Dealers in Connecticut are willing to sell cars BELOW their invoice price.

I recently purchased a new 2004 A6 Avant Quattro for $2000 BELOW the Dealer Invoice (including $1000 Audi Loyalty money).

The dealer was willing to get me the exact car I wanted from another Audi dealer in the Boston area.

I used Edmunds to price the car that I wanted and contacted (4) dealers looking for the best price. Two dealers were quite aggressive and that helped me to get a great deal.

There also appears to many Audi allroads, both 2.7T and 4.2, available in dealer's stock,
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I test drove an A8 recently and was very impressed. The car handled like a much smaller car and the steering was more BMW like than in other Audis I've driven (I think this is a good thing). I am currently in the market for a luxury car and am cross shopping the LS430 along with the S430 4Matic. I did not yet put the Audi into the mix because I felt that the L was just too big. To me it looks like it should be chauffeur driven. Maybe I should check it out again, but it's sooooo long.

A few questions for you Audi experts:

When will the standard wheel bases be available?

When are the A6's hitting the showrooms? I understand that these will be like "baby" A8s.

Should I be concerned with reliability of first year models from Audi?

By the way, for me, the S430 is the best riding car I've driven to date and the A8 wasn't far behind. I felt that they both blew the 7 Series away in ride quality.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    for '05 A6 has been rescheduled for early next month. Will advise.
  • coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    Hi,

I'm currently in a 36 month lease that ends in December:

2001 Audi 2.7T Quatro
    Fully Loaded - MSRP was $46,700
    Sport package 12K miles
    No money down.
    Paying $550
    Currently at ~27K miles (i'm way under)

I think I got a great deal on this car.

My question is....
    I love the Audi A6 and would love to get the 2005 model coming out. But I know it will carry a significantly higher lease price due to the new design and it's demand.

Will I be able to get a similar deal for the 2004 A6 2.7T s-line? Will these cars be sold out by December? Should I try to get the dealer to buy my car early?

Or should I just re-lease my current A6? It's pretty much the same as the 2004.

Thanks for your help.
    Copper
    You should do well with a new Sline -- and my guess is you'll like it much better than the current one.

Most of the stuff you will like, IMHO, are invisible things, new suppliers for brake rotors, better bits and pieces over all. More power, a lot longer time until something goes bump, etc.

The 2001 is not a bad car, it has those pesky miles on it though. I'd see if they'll help you by buying you out 3 or 4 months early and go ahead and play "let's make a deal."

On the other hand, the new 05 A6 carries a base price of $43K and with the three option packages that most folks will get, I would assume the price will be about another $5K -- lease differentials? Who knows. . .it would seem to me that there is probably a deal out there if you don't get one on day one. Remember part of the lease payment component is Cap Cost -- perhaps in December the "new" A6 will need at least some discounting (it is winter then, after all).

They always say the best time to buy a car is Winter.

Have you taken the Sline out for a lonnnnng test drive?
  • coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    Thanks for your reply.

I'll have major bargaining power with the 2004. With the 2005...I'll have NONE. I would think 36 months leases will come in at high $600.

Haven't driven the 2004's yet. Will go this weekend. I'm curious to find out what the differences are.

It's funny, I've read some horror stories about how A6's have reliability problems. I've had NONE. The car is perfect even to this day. The only problems that I've had was that my xenon headlights had been ripped out from the car, and I had to replace a few tires due to pothole damage. I have low profile tires...which are a pain in NYC.
    Am I just lucky?
    I just got off the phone with an A of A person in Auburn Hills to whom I posed some questions about
    sport suspension vs. air suspension. She told me that sport suspension is about 30% stiffer than regular suspension, but could not compare the stiffness of sport suspension to air susupension at its lowest (dynamic) setting. I believe the former is stiffer, but wanted to confirm it.

More significantly, I was then told that the now
    available sport suspension package will NOT be an option on any of the 2005 A6 models, but will be
    an option (in lieu of air suspension) on the 2005 short wheelbase A8. While the latter may be good
    news for some, the former, if true, would be bad
    news for many.

Would greatly appreciate what anyone else can learn from the same or another truly authoritatve
    source!!!
    Not that I doubt you, I just am confused.

Does this mean that the order guide I have seen for a 2005 A6 that lists a sport package, that includes wheels, tires and suspension IS NOT going to be offered on the A6, but that a standard or air suspesnion ONLY will be offered?

This does not make sense, Audi almost always offers a sport option -- or are the only two choices a standard suspension (which is the same as a conventional, non air, i.e., sport suspension) and the air suspension?
    Mark:

I'm confused, too, by what I was told this afternoon. That's why I posted a suggestion that others might check with their reliable sources to see what they could find out.

After my post (#261), I called one of the Phila. area dealers I've been talking to and asked him, since I'm out of town, to tell me over the phone whether the '05 A6 3.2V6 "introductory order guide" he gave me (when I saw the blue example in his showroom on June 23rd) whether a sport pakage option was listed on there. He told me a sport package option was NOT listed there. He also said he didn't have a 4.2V8 order guide yet!!

He then looked at the '05 SWB A8 order guide he'd given me, and told me that a sport suspension package was NOT listed on there either.

I'm inclined to think the person at A of A I spoke with, who put me on hold for 10 minutes to track down answers to my questions, may have more up-to-date info. than my dealer. But, since a few weeks ago you really got me thinking that I should get sport suspension on my proposed '05 A6 4.2V8, I'm a bit distressed to learn that it may not be available.

Please let me, and all the rest of us, know if you find out anything definitive.
    . . .lists a sport package. That is all I know, I have no additional information, just, apparently, some confusion, as do you.

Sorry.
    I received your fax, thanks!

Here is what I have -- apparently a PowerPoint presentation from
    AoA Marketing: Product Management. It has no date on it, and it is consistent with the order guide you sent.

The sport package is listed on your document and mine.

Mine, however, has pictures of 5 wheel choices. Moroever, it has a description of the Bluetooth Cell Phone Prep - for all upcoming Audis, not just the A6.

Mine, looks like something an AoA marketing person would show to a "class" of sales people. It is short on specifics.
  • triumphbobktriumphbobk Member Posts: 25
    I'm in the market for a car and looking at the A6. I've been looking for a 2001 with the 2.7T and around 40k miles. I drive around ~20k miles per year. I'm concerned about the long term reliability. Any thoughts? Has anyone on the list put 150k on an A6 without major problems and $$$? Is it feasible to work on it yourself?

Thanks
    Run away from this scenario. The 2.7T is a great performing engine -- the 2001 may have some parts issues that, although probably able to be CPO'd to 100K or 2 years, still makes a newer car less money.

The brake rotors on the 2001's are notorius for warping. The 2.7T engine will need a serpentine belt replacement by 60K miles (this is a four figure job).

Around 60K miles, maintenance items can be breathtakingly expensive.

It may actually be less money to lease a new 2004 A6 than buy a used 2001 (at least for 36 - 42 months). If you can find a "leftover" 2003 or a demo (my dealer had "a dozen or so" A6 3.0's and 2.7T (non Slines) that were in the "loaner" fleet and were discounted over 22% off MSRP and with full warranty and low (under 8,000) miles.)

The running change improvements between 1998 and the current version of the A6 seemed to pick up steam in 2002 - 2004. I would not hesitate to acquire an A6 Sline (2004) at today's deeply discounted lease rates and off MSRP discounts -- if I were in the market for another current generation A6 (I had a 1999 2.8, 2000 4.2 & 2001 4.2).

As it stands now, I am in the market for either a new Acura RL ('05), new A6 3.2 ('05), or possibly A4/S4 ('05.5) within 6 - 9 months. My current '03 allroad is "the best Audi, yet" as far as I am concerned (although my 1997 A8 was pretty nice as was my sentimental fave a 1995 S6.)

My advice is to get a newer, younger CPO'd A6 or "go all the way" and get a new one, hopefully with the deep unhealable discounts that seem already to be darn near pervasive (at least here in Cincinnati).
  • rlolsenrlolsen Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a 2004 2.7T S-line. Right now the dealer is at $100 over invoice with 2.9% financing. Does anyone have any insight into new incentives that will be coming out in the next few weeks? I am hoping for some new incentives to be released on 8/1.
  • hjcanterhjcanter Member Posts: 31
    I just got the Order Guide for the A6 3.2. No sport package but you can get 17" 9-spoke Alloy Wheels with 245/45 all-season tires. Premium package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather, Parktronic (rear), Rear Side airbags, DVD Nav, Advanced key, and XM or Sirius radio. Question is what does a loaded 4.2 go for? I have been told the base for a 4.2 will be "around" $50k. Loaded, it should go for $56-$58k? I think I will compared it now to the SWB A8. They have one coming with front and rear parktronic, XM radio, Multifunction wood steering wheel, cold weather, convenience, and 18" 9-spoke wheels. I do believe I like the looks of the A8 better than the new A6. Tough choice, but I can't wait to take the SWB A8 for a spin.
    I've been told by 3 different dealers that they've been told by A of A that the initial MSRP for the '05 A6 4.2 will be $51,000, so a fully loaded car may well come to $56K to $58K. By comparison, a fully loaded '05 A8 SWB, which will have an initial MSRP of
    $66,590, may come to $72K to $74K. I, too, am looking
    forward to driving both to see if the the likely $15K
    difference is worth it and, perhaps more importantly,
    which one has more of a driver's "feel" to it!!
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    I'm just wondering how this handbrake in the new A6 actually works. Is it like a "power-assisted" handbrake? Or is it more like fly by wire, where it's just a button, connected by a few wires to the brake? If it is, wouldn't you be dead if the battery were to fail?