Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    A few new colors, the package deals are different, and the warranty doesn't cover W&T anymore. Otherwise, no differences...

Personally, I'd go for a cheap 05 rather than a new 06...
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    S line gets a new color (a ruby red pearl-like hue.) Price increase. Package simplification (perhaps.) TPM now standard (probably part of the price increase.)

Lease price (not MSRP) is often lower on new car than old car due to higher residual of new car.

Cap cost often lower on current year car and if they are trying to move them there may also be some other forms of sub venting of the leases.

Although this discussion, thus far, assumes you are NOT paying a lump sum in cash -- regardless of your mode of acquisition, the things that effect the price of a car over time are the same if you pay in cash, finance or lease (unless you can get a 0% finance deal, then THAT would be a consideration since it is an artificial way to use someone else's money over time "for free.")

The differences in the car are slight. The Sline color change may be the biggest one -- unless Tire Pressure Monitoring has been a deal breaker or maker for you.

I'd get the one that had the best deal, personally.

One other thing, there is a NEW DVD map that is supposed to be quite an improvement -- one would think the newest Audi would have the newer map.

I'm going to beg for one later this month and see if I can split the cost or something with my dealer.
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    In regards to the current 05.5 A6 and the upcoming Volkswagen Passat... Or for that matter, the previous versions of each car... How much difference is there between the two companies?

As a newbie, they look very similiar and was wondering if I did get a VW with 4wd, how would that compare to Audi's Quatrro.

Just wondering
    The new navteq's maps still aren't out as far as I've heard, so I presume the 2006's shipped for Sept won't have them either (unless they are loaded at the dealerships)...

I sure hope that nav DVD makes magic with the program.
  • ftlnewaudiftlnewaudi Member Posts: 13
    Although I am a new member of this forum I have been following it for some time. I have been researching all the LPS options and just decided on the Audi A6. I ordered a 2006 based on options and colors I wanted. But Mark is correct, if a dealer has a 2005 available with options you want you could probably get a better deal.

Edmunds actually has the 2006 information up and available if you go in and look at the "price with options" on a 2006 Audi. And it looks quite accurate for the most part. The base price has increased but there are some former options now standard on the 3.2 (such as TPMS, 17" wheels and the wood trim.) Audi has also simplified the option packages along the lines of some other makers. For example similar to the Infiniti M the 2006 A6 now has a technology package with all the electronic goodies in it (nav, adv key, parktronic, surround Bose, etc.) When I compared my fully loaded 2005 sample and compared to the 2006 equivalent it looked like the price had increased about $1000+ on a 3.2.

There are also a few new options such as the adaptive air suspension from the A8, the S Line pkg on the V6 and a wood/leather steering wheel with paddle shifters.

My choice to order was based on my desire for the sport seats. My 6'4" frame appreciated the additional leg support. The dealers at least in Florida did not order many cars with the sport seats and for 2006 they are a "sold order" option only. Anyway hope this helps...check out the Edmunds data. It will help you compare.
    Although I assume we all are aware of the term sold order, it really hit me when I visted the BMW dealer over the weekend with my wife for a nice long test drive of the BMW 530xi. I had wanted to drive one with the manual transmission. None were in stock. Several had been pre ordered, but none were there and anyway, none could be driven if they were sold.

The BMW dealer buyer said, "virtually no manual transmissions or sport packages are ordered for inventory." Basically the man was saying that these are difficult to move and although they should have more dealer profit in them, they often don't because they are the last to be sold.

"Customers want comfort -- the base level of sport and performance are assumed to be more than adequate in these cars." What sells is more lux stuff, apparently.

Even certain color combinations are not "regularly" stocked according to my Audi dealer. Further almost no sport packages are purchased for inventory -- at least for A6's.

My wife and I are so out of the loop -- we can't figure out why you can't buy a sofa without ordering it ($3,000 to $5,000). But people routinely buy $50,000 - $80,000 cars and expect the car to be in stock.

With virtually no exceptions we have ordered all 28 Audis and one of the two BMW's we have had in the last 30 years.

I must live in the bizzaro world.

The BMW dealer all but said they order a very narrow range of cars for inventory -- because experience has taught them to not stray far from formula: auto trans, premium package, often the upgraded audio systems and increasingly sat nav and sat radio.

If you really want to configure your car your way, the joy of ordering a new car cannot be overlooked.

Just a thought.
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    in 2001 I bought a E430 in a cash deal.

I had negotiated hard and was adament that I wasnot going over 50k! I told the dealers I don't care if you find me one with 5k on it, im not paying over that mark!

The dealer called me two days before the end of the month and told me I could have a new one, so long as it was limited to about 6 on the lot. They all were sunroof, "Premium" levels but none sport! This was about the majority and he wanted to move some inventory. THe lone e320 "sport" was long on the lot and did not move.

For me I wanted the Sweet V8 rather than the sport add ons found on the 6cyl!

The last Audi ad I saw showed a typica stock car with premium on it!

If you want what you want, you pay, if not, then take what they got. Im ok with that actually. does one want the deal or what they want?

My 6spd allroad was on the lot and I got a hell of a deal. I like to find oddball configurations and see if I can get a deal!
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Does this mean no more included oil changes, wiper blades, brake pads, burned out light bulbs, air/cabin filters, spark plugs, brake flushes (after 2 years), etc?
    I think you are correct on the wiper blades and brake pads -- and the thing also is this includes brake rotors.

But wait -- the period wherein this can happen for free will be ONE year, not two.

Oil changes are still free for 50K miles.

They've dumbed down the deal -- if you want more than one additional free sets of wiper blades, you will pay (you get one with the car and one replacement set for free, then you pay.)

You could get one all wheel alignment for free, but that is it and I think it has to be within one year.

There is chatter all over the Internet about this -- I figure it is better than nothing and no longer as good as BMW's.

Mercedes now allows you to "purchase" this coverage. I dunno, but I suspect Audi will too. That is pay above and beyond the price of the car for the extras that we used to take for granted.

Seriously, it is probably my fault -- I used to get at least two sets of wiper blades per year on the Audi Advantage.

I think they're $80! One has to make up one's own mind how many sets of wiper blades you plan to go through. There are, after all, lifetime wiper blades that are sold -- I can't imagine they really would be good for multiple seasons back to back -- so I may be popping the $80 after year one.

Boo Hissssss! :cry:
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    No. Audi still has the same 4y/50k scheduled maintenance for 2006.

However, wearable items such as break pads and wiper blades are only covered for the first 12 months.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    I just ordered a Sony T608 Bluetooth phone for Sprint PCS for the A6. Has anyone used the T608 and how does it work with the Audi A6 interface? Any help regarding this cellphone would be appreciated. Also, Mark, are you stating one year only on brakes and wipers on the 05' or 06'. This is a huge deal because if it's 3 years on 05' and only one year on 06', that would save a lot on brake jobs. How many people need brakes anyway within the first year? A brake job if similar to BMW would run approx $800 complete. This is a huge savings and a reason more to get the 05' and not the 06'.
    Ask the dealer about the differences -- Audi brake jobs, speaking from experience can be more than $800 if four rotors are needed. I know I had nine brake jobs in total on my two A6's (2000 A6 4.2 and 2001 A6 4.2 sport.)

My 2003 quattro did not need brakes at 46,000 miles -- the brakes on that car were never bad, they were just never up to the level of quality of the rest of the car. The brakes on the allroad were reliable and durable but just felt "weak."

Not so the brakes on the new 2005 A6 3.2 -- wow!

But warped rotors are NOT ALL THAT UNCOMMON -- and if you only get rotors ONCE and within 12 months as part of the Audi Advantage, you are correct, I would not expect this car to need them.

Yet, with the 2003 allroad as an example, if you can go practically 50,000 miles on the original rotors and pads, that does not seem like much of an issue.

There are probably many more people than I -- on this board -- who know the subtleties of the new and unimproved Audi Advantage.

If you asked me, they made a bonehead play -- sure the new A6 is a quantum leap from the C5. But, but, but, it has yet to be proven to be as good in the long haul (in the clinch) as it is after a couple of thousand miles.

Audi is apparently now obsessed with quality -- and I agree that it shows on this A6. But, perhaps they should've waited another year before "eroding" the Audi Advantage to Silver from Gold and apparently eventually down to Bronze. Meanwhile BMW is making marketing hay about thinking about "wipers, rotors and oil changes would be so un-BMW-like."

I get lots and lots and lots of surveys from Audi (the ones with the $1 and $5 bills in them) -- never, ever, do they ask questions like: "what would your opinion be of Audi if we 'de-contented' the Audi Advantage" (or words that while not as direct would lead them to understand how the Audi Advantage has been a big deal for the faithful for all these years (since 1988 in fact -- the "three year test drive.")

This is the beginning of the potential for the nickel and dime stuff that often is, in the larger scheme a nit, but it is the little hairs that get down my back when I get a haircut that I remember for a couple of hours while I am scratching my neck and back -- not the great haircut.

Grrrrr. To repeat, what a bonehead play -- they are doing the right thing from their point of view and too early from the customer's point of view. These LPS cars are getting better and better all the time and they get more alike all the time -- the Audi Advantage was, past tense, a differentiator that is apparently being allowed to wither.

Now that AWD is pretty much offered by a lot of Audi A6 competitors, keeping the Audi Advantage and even strengthening it would be my approach were I Audi's top management.

But, I'm not. :confuse:
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I had the T608 before leaving Sprint. The buttons on it are very small and it is slow to change screens and to fire up. That said, it has excellent application for Bluetooth and worked nearly flawlessly with my TL and M35. I assume it will work well with Audi's.
    when you go to the Audi list on Audi's website, it lists it as a phone that isn't supported in the new A6. I just can't bring myself to buying the sliding LG 325..it's cheap looking and feels cheap.
  • newaudiownernewaudiowner Member Posts: 3
    I really wanted the same car - silver with black interior. Turns out there were only two available that had all of the options that I had on the original car (one was some where in Michigan and one was in Chicago) both cars had a couple of extra options. They gave me the choice of which car I wanted. I ended up with satellite radio and premium leather. The car arrived at the dealer yesterday or today and now I am just trying to schedule a time to complete the paper work to make the exchange.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    The beancounters are firmly in charge.

Were you not "you," you'd be driving an Infiniti today. But you are, and you're not. They gave you a one-off deal to (moderately) offset the press they were getting.

Point being, Audi lease deals weren't competitive & now they're into the nickel & dime zone. Might make sense if they'd had five years to prove that they can compete in the reliability discussion, but. . .

It appears to me they've had five minutes, with sales numbers to match.

Gotta love it when the car guys with passion are trumped by the ones who count (both ways). Well, not really, but it sure happens a lot. I'm driving a monument to it.

Glad you're enjoying your Audi. I'm staying tuned. It's been four years since I was introduced to the brand, in Europe, and watching the parade has certainly been interesting.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Got an E-mail from audi that the new A6 avent is now available and was blown away just how pretty that thing is!

Might look better than the excellent Sedan! As most know, in europe, 60% of A6 sales are Avents!

I built mine, and was actually able to keep the lease payments under $900 per month on the payement estimater! I know I could do better, but I thought it was funny as heck!

Please audi, give me a Stick!
  • joshmonjoshmon Member Posts: 1
    Mark,
    I'm looking at a 2000 A6 4.2 with 55k on the odo. Are there any more "problem" areas you can tell me about? I notice that the front end falls apart around 40k on the 2.7T. I am looking to see if the "unique" aluminum suspension used on the 4.2 has had better longevity. I know the price for enjoyment on this car is going to be on the high side, but the car is just awesome to drive. Any info you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Josh
    $80.00 for wiper blades! Heavens! I just bought 22" Bosch complete wiper assemblies through BMA parts in Ca. at $18.00 for the pair on my 2000 A6 and they work just fine. I was initially concerned because the driver's OEM wiper assembly had a "fairing" attached for some sort of wind control, but the new non-Audi blades work as well. ZMy Audi mechanic says don't bother with wiper "inserts", they don't work as well as blade assembly replacement.

I thought it was only a matter of time before the "everything" Audi warranty became a "limited" package w/ optional extras.
    ---Valve cover/cam gasket leaks
    ---driver's window operation
    ---driving "vibrations" due to wheel alignment/balancing/steering rack issues
    ---front tie rod end wear
    ---braking shimmy due to warped rotors
    ---proper turn signal operation
    ---check auto alarm during remote key fob locking/unlocking
    ---airbag light on in dash
    ---heated seat operation
    ---check for synthetic oil use
    ---hydraulic power steering leaks
    ---check for tiptronic tranny smooth shifting
    ---transmission fluid change(should be done at 50,000)
    Reply 5741 is very complete.

What are you talking about, BTW? The A6 2.7T's front ends fall apart at 40K miles? Never heard that one.

My issues with these cars have to do with making sure you get EVERY fluid and filter changed no matter what. And use syn oil.

Further if the engine has a rubber band in it, change it sooner rather than later.

The area that I had some troubles with in the 4.2 was the power articulated steering column which costs $1,400 and seems to go out about every 25,000 miles.
    The 2000 and 2001 had brake rotor issues -- which are annoying as hell -- and potentially expensive.

Make sure the car is "CPO'd" -- piece of mind.
  • ftlnewaudiftlnewaudi Member Posts: 13
    While going though the order process for my 2006 A6 the dealer I have been working with in the Fort Lauderdale area had new 2006 brochures in stock. So if you are still looking for additional 2006 info you might want to check your local dealer.

This may or may not be of interest to you but according to the brochure Audi will be adding not only the Avant for 2006 but also a new "base" level A6. Looks like Audi has decided to bring a FWD 3.2 to the US with the CVT, 16" wheels, etc. Of course the brochure does not have prices and they did not have data yet for this model concerning gas mileage or 0-60 times.

After a thorough comparison of the 2005 and 2006 brochures a minor item I noticed was that if you order the nav system you will now get a color LCD between the gauges instead of the regular "red text" multi-function display. I know that will make you want to spend more on a 2006!!
  • chef_jmrchef_jmr Member Posts: 41
    I'm glad to hear they've updated their brochures... Now what about their website!?!? A6 "Build your Audi" = old (2005); same with the A4 Cabriolet "Build your own..."

I think it would have been easier to roll out the updated site before sending the proofs to the printers for the brochures!

Come on Audi!
    Hey. I live in Weston (near Ft Lauderdale) and I leased my last one (2002) at the dealer in Pompano. This time, I made one phone call to the dealer on Okechobee Blvd in W Palm Beach ( Braman) and they beat everyone elses price by a lot including Champion. If you haven't done your deal yet, give them a call. I get nothing out of this...I'm not a car salesperson... just trying to save you some money. I told them I had shopped Miami and Ft Lauderdale and they did the deal because I wasn't in their market. You can still service the car anywhere. The manager is who I spoke to on the phone. I don't think I can say names here but his name begins with a "W". Hope this helps you!!! Good luck. And, the car is amazing. Get the 18" wheels...they look and drive great!!!
  • chef_jmrchef_jmr Member Posts: 41
    Is anyone else scratching their head on the '06 Passat getting a more powerful (280hp) 3.6L VR6 engine as compared to the A6's 3.2 (255hp)?

I would like to see a like-kind response from Audi with a tweak in hp. Possible?

As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "What's up with that?"
    VW is very interesting these days. The Phaeton makes no sense in that lineup, and now the Passat getting more goods than than the A6? Whats the deal!

VW seems to almost fit the passat between the A4 and the A6, but its base price is only 22-23k! It options sup to 37K. I would never buy a car at the high end that is 50% greater than its base! if you can get a passat for 23k , thats a hell of a deal! And thats the 2.0 turbo engine?

My choice will come down to a 3.2 A4 Avant 6 speed manul which I assume I can fatten up with bigger wheels, maybe a sport version, or a 3.2 A6 and keep it under 50k!

Sport vs. Luxury? I think that is what it would come down to . I still percieve my Allroad to be the perfect compromise, but I doubt I can duplicate another lease for a price of 43k! I'll go higher, but will hold the line at 10% more on my lease payment.

Mark in Cincy you got both of the cars I am considering! Do you miss rowing your own? Happy to use the X3 to get it out of your system?
    I really like both cars very much.

I miss the manual in the A6, but I would probably be fine with the DSG transmission that WILL, eventually, be made an option.

I use the tip more and more all the time and "S mode" on the auto side is almost entirely lag free.

You really have to option the X3 up to get it to have the appropriate luxury and then, funny thing, it is about $47K MSRP.

My A6 was discounted down to $48K and change (from south of $54K) -- so this may not be THAT relevant. The BMW is a great driving car (it REQUIRES the stick shift, to perform, however.)

The A6 is more lux oriented -- but you will not find the X3 in any way seriously lacking.

We have, IMHO, the best of both worlds.
    I'm wondering about that as well. The Passat shouldn't trump the A6 by 25hp @ 280 vs 255. Especially when the A6 is about a 50k car now.

I'm sure a bump in HP will be on the way for the A6, but it might not happen until the 2007model year.

The 2007 Q7 will have the 3.6 280hp V6 engine.
    Do you have the "paddle shifters" on the wheel for the tip operation? They didn't offer that option on my 2000 A6 2.7T, but I believe it was available on the 2001 models.
    Seems im going to be on the short end of HP increase and the dsg!

I have not read the X3 is getting the new engine right away. Nothing confirmed except painted bumpers, maybe some interior upgrade.

Patience!

Allroad needs new shoes! Yeah
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I'm thinking of trading in my 2004 A4 1.8Q for a CPO 2002 A6 4.2L - it would basically be a straight swap - my car has 13,500 miles vs 44,000 on A6 - am I crazy to think about this - should I keep the A4 or make the switch to the A6 - The engine is a nice factor - but I like the room better.

Thanks for all your help.

John
    CPO'd huh?

The 4.2 is a very nice driving and riding and performing car.

I have had three Audis with this engine. Sweetest sounds in the world come from an Audi V8.

Even steven huh?

You can't lose.
    The 4.2 is a nice car, and I really like the agressive body work on the 4.2. But in reality, it's not that much faster than the 2.7T twin turbo. But the sweet sound of the 4.2 can't be beat.

It's a smart idea to get a 4.2 with the 6/100 CPO from Audi. I'd never fly naked with that car and be out of warranty.

Just remember that the gas mileage is going to kill you on that V8 vs your A4, and with premium pushing $3 gallon, it'll cost you at least $100-150 more in gas every month to keep that 4.2 running.
    I actually found my 2.7T thirstier -- but I agree the performance of the 4.2 is only a smidge better -- but the car itself (the A6 4.2) for whatever reason feels soooooo solid.
    The 2.7 is no fuel miser, either, and I agree it's almost the same as the V8 car.

Going from a 1.8T A4 to either a V8 or 2.7T A6 is going to drain your wallet every month @ the pump. But if that's not a concern for you, put your foot down on the gas and have fun.
  • jonwardjonward Member Posts: 8
    We're ordering a new A6 quattro and we want the least jarring ride. The dealer is recommending 16-inch wheels vs. the 17-inchers that seem to be standard on the 2006s. Does this make sense to you experts out there?
    Yes. Traditionally, the larger the wheel, the more the road feel is conducted to the driver. Bigger tires may emote a more sporty ride, while smaller ones, often are smoother in drive but less "feel" for the road. Be sure to get regular and not "sport" suspension.

You'll love the A6, I bet, as I really do.
    You can't get 16's on the 3.2 Quattro anymore. There is a new 17 inch 16 spoke pattern that are the base wheels for quattros this year, and the same 18 inchers are available as an option. The new CVT model for 2006 will have the 16 inch wheel pattern.

The 17's give a hint of a better ride, but it's not that big a difference over the 18's. Your sitting on a 40 series profile tire instead of a 45 on the 17 inch wheel. The biggest difference is the sport suspension, and it will make the car have a lot harsher ride if you go that way.

I think the 18 inchers with the regular suspension give the best compromise between looks and ride quality.
    "Jarring" is an interesting term. Audi suspensions are typically (even the non sport versions) "firm," "controlled," "NOT floaty."

Folks used to the "boulevard ride" of some older cars may decry the lack of virtual isolation from the road. This is NOT a criticism either of you or such cars -- to each his/her own.

Having said that, Audis typically ride firm to very firm. Some say "stiff," although that is more appropriate for a description of the chassis. Oddly, the stiffer the chassis, the easier it is for the manufacturer to make a car simultaneously handle better AND ride better.

The A6 is a fine example of this.

The suspension and chassis of the A6 have conspired to produce a car that handles well (especially for its size and comfort.) The differences in the ride between the 17 and 18 inch wheels are minimal. The 18" wheels and A/S tires (this is a legitmate option from Audi) will give you good: handling/performance, looks and ride/comfort. The 16" wheels, if you can find one in country so equipped will be under-tired and the ride differences are not that much different. These tires/wheels no longer are an option anyway (I wonder why????)

If you are really into a sofa-like ride, perhaps of the cars that we discuss here at Edmunds (over on the LPS board), the Lexus might lean more in that direction.

To each his/her own, but, my ONLY regret at this point is NOT getting the sport suspension -- but I like less body roll/lean perhaps than you.

Bottom line, this A6 is the most comfortable one yet to prance out of Ingolstadt, go for the 18" wheel/tires you will not regret it. :shades:
  • jonnyz1245jonnyz1245 Member Posts: 13
    cincinnati..

a while back I had asked for and gotten a wealth of info on the outgoing allroad.

Mark provided a lot of really good insight on this car.

Last weekend I bought a 2005 Atlas Grey 2.7T Tip( I know not a 6 speed...had my reasons) and I have to say this is one FUN wagon to drive. Yes the tip lag is there in "D" but in "S" I do not notice it at ALL. I also found that if I depress the gas pedal before I start the car all the way that the lag is almost gone in "D" as well. I was able to get the car at a little below invoice and the buying experience was top notch from Sunsetimports here in Portland, Oregon.

I have ordered a set of H-sports which should be here Wed and installed Thursday.

I think I will stop the mods at the sway bars so as not to mess with the warranty!

I got it loaded except for the Nav+ which for $1800 didn't seem worth it to me. I drive about 10-12K/year in a city I have lived in for 16 years. I know where I am going 99.9% of the time. If I used the car for work I would have opted for it,but 2K will buy ALOT of premium gas and lift tickets to the mountain this winter!!!

Thanks again, Mark...I am looking forward to many years of Audi ownership FYI, I did not lease...I paid cash and plan on driving the car 6 years :)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    You're my kinda guy. Pay cash and drive it for 6+ years.

That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing with my current vehicle. If the Audi long-term reliability reputation were better, I might be doing it today in a 2.7 A6, or if they'd bring the diesels to the U.S. . . However, I'm only a bit over five years into my current vehicle and expect/hope to get 2-3 more years out of it.

Point being. . .keep us posted. If you drive less than 15K miles/year, you have the ability to be covered by a warranty the whole time. I generally blow through the mileage limits, so actually require a vehicle that doesn't break.

Love Audis. Hate trips to the dealer, even if they're "under warranty." My time is worth something -- quite a bit more as I age.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    . . .for 6 years or 100,000 miles.

And, glad to have helped.

And, to each his/her own on the auto vs stick.

You must know by now that I also have a tiptronic in my new A6.

My allroad is missed, you will certainly enjoy yours.

Someday, someone will explain why paying cash for something that depreciates as rapidly as a car will make sense.

Congratulations.
    Mark,

If you have a boat load of cash and can't be bothered with those "pesky" payments, then it makes sense!

Too much "opportunity cost" associated with paying cash for me.
  • jonwardjonward Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the information folks. I'll go with the 17-inch probably. Incidentally, I was not looking for a "sofa" type ride. We live in the middle of nowhere VA with lots of windy, 2-lane roads. Currently have an 2002 S430 and have to keep the adjustable air suspension in the middle position. Set for a soft ride it literally made me car sick. Can't wait to leave that 2-ton albatross to get back in an Audi.

Anybody remember the 5000 S? That was a CAR. And thanks to 60 Minutes reports was available used for a song.

Test drove the Audi, BMW 530 and Infiniti M. The Bimmer had the best ride, I think. The Infiniti had the best navigation pkg. So I bought the A6.
  • carroll1carroll1 Member Posts: 2
    Yes definately. I have an 05 A6 with 17 in wheels and it rides horrible on bumpy roads or any road with expansion joints. I would trade my 17in wheels for 16's in a New York minute
  • jjw6414jjw6414 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2 month old A6 3.2 V6 with the sport package and everything else. Really do like the car. However, I recently moved to a new area with some very bumpy roads on my usual route to work.. I love the handling with the sport suspension, but the ride is very bumpy. I am not much of a car guy and could use some advice on how to smooth out the ride a bit in my new surroundings. Other than swapping the summer UHP tires for some all season tires, any advice.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Have you made sure your tires aren't over inflated?
  • jjw1965jjw1965 Member Posts: 1
    Yes. They were a bit overinflated when I brought it home, but fixed that. Do allweather tires make a big difference? If so, UHP tires or grand touring? any ideas.
    All season tires can actually make your car ride harder because of the stiffer sidewalls. Summer tires have a softer compound rubber to make them sticker to the road, but you may have problems in the peak winter months with snow and such. But summer tires can wear out in very qucikly and can get rather noisy as well.

Tires differ greatly from brand to brand, and one all season tire may ride better than the other. I've seen Michelin, Pirelli, and Continental tires on the new 05 A6.

The sport suspension with the 18 inch rims is going to give you the hardest ride setup on the new A6. I think the best combination of ride and looks is going with the 18's and regular suspension. The 17 inch wheels don't look good on the A6, and the 18's make a huge differnce in stying and really set the car off.

But for those of you who live in the land of potholes, you may have to make a different choice.
    Advice: (-) minus zero your tire size and go to a tire noted for its ride characteristics. This data and subjective reviews, too, can be found at tirerack.com.

Minus sizing will have to be determined, by you, to be of merit. Perhaps simply going with grand touring tires of the same size will be sufficient to improve the ride.

Of course, the sport suspension package is a "system" -- and this system does rely on the tires, wheels, springs, sway bars and struts working in cooperation with each other. The springs on the sport package model are less soft than the non sport and the car is slightly lower, the swaybars are probably about 20% thicker which controls body lean at the expense of some ride softness.

I would certainly ask someone who has NO interest in selling you a set of tires, for instance, what their advice on this matter would be.

BTW, minus zero sizing would probably allow you to go from a 40 series tire to a 45 series tire (which may also have some winter benefits due to the fact that it should be more narrow, too.)

I went with the 18" tires and "no season" tires -- thus far, however, I have pretty much enjoyed all aspects of the A6 3.2, but I have not pushed it handling wise to the point where I might appreciate the summer only performance tires.

UHP all seasons are, too, pretty stiff on the sidewalls, since they attempt to perform more like a summer tire than an HP all season tire.