Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• turbomanturboman Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 2.7T and have been enjoying it for nine months. I have noted that the car goes through one to one and a half quarts of oil per month. I thought this quite unusual for a new car so I brought it to the attention of the service dept. Everyone there including the chief mechanic tells me that this is normal (and that Porches' do it to.) They offered to do the oil replacement as needed for free, but it is a nusiance to go to the dealer every month just for a quart of oil. Anyone have any experience with this problem and any advice. There are no signs of an oil leak.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    You didn't mention how many miles you have. Assuming that you've broken the engine in properly, you should begin to have less oil consumption after several thousand miles. Some owners have reported less oil consumption after changing to Mobil 1. (But, you'll probably have to pay for it yourself.) Having said all that, many 2.7T owners report more oil consumption than with non-turbo's.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Thanks for the pics a while back. Which A6 model do you have, do you have pics of your car itself?

M
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I have a 2000 A6 2.8 Quattro with Tiptronic, Racing Green Pearl Effect with Tungsten Gray leather. Options on the car are Cold Weather Package, Convenience Package (power moonroof, memory seat & mirrors, multi-function steering wheel, auto-dimming mirrors, HomeLink), and xenon headlights.

I have a lot of pictures of the car. If you're interested in seeing any of them, just let me know.
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    It is unusual, but far from beyond spec. Annoying, huh?

A quart of oil is only between $1 and $5. You are going to spend an extra $18-$90 a year putting oil in. Not a big imposition.

After being warned that 2.7Ts do use oil when I purchased it, mine used almost a quart in the first 5,000 miles and none since. I'm happy.
  • jim3039jim3039 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the great leasing advice. Found a dealer with the exact car I want and am about to make a call to negotiate the deal by phone. A couple of questions...
    1. I can really get out the Acquisition Fee? What rationale can I use avoid paying this with dealer. My goal is to get into this car with as little down as possible.
    2. What are dispostion fees?
    3. What are examples of "other fees" you mention that the dealer may try to include in the Cap Cost?

Thanks for your help.

Jim
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    The dealer is BSing you. Its one thing for an engine to use a LITTLE oil, but for any good engine built since 1953, anything more than a quart every 3,00 to 5,000 miles is very excessive. I love my 2.7T, but I'm not so infatuated with it that I'd find burning oil like an old Studebaker acceptable. It's a serious mechanical fault and the engine should be fixed or replaced. You should document your oil consumption, keep the receipts and demand reimbursement for all your expenses.
  • petrie3petrie3 Member Posts: 47
    I agree with dwpc and Bollinger, that's way too much oil consumption. I've had my 2.7t since June. 5000 miles later, only used 1/2 a quart!
    Good luck getting any action from anyone on an expense of <$100 a year. As I said, it is within spec, especially if you do a lot of high-speed driving and your car is still less than a year old.

But your options for recompense in courts mostly hinge on how much financial damage it does you. As I mentioned, your damages are less than $100 a year (actually far less than $50), so you won't get anywhere.

I'm sorry, but you're stuck. I wish you were more lucky.
  • nszabonszabo Member Posts: 19
    It is normal for the car to take some oil in, especially the turbos.It also depends on driving style, if you drive like Sterling Moss your engine oil will be lower than a normal driver.
    Not to start an argument, but excessive oil consumption IS a serious engine flaw, and burning more than a qt per 1000 mi. IS grossly excessive. AoA should correct it if you're persistant. If you live in state with emissions testing, it will foul the cat converter and render it useless. And a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.

To nszabo; turbo engines should use no more oil than any non-turbo engines, i.e., virtually none.
  • brhydebrhyde Member Posts: 2
    I haven't bought a new car since 1989 when I bought my Mercedes E Class. The economy was in tough shape and at that time the dealer gave me full retail for my trade (1979 S Class Mercedes) and 25% off MSRP on the new Benz. It was a deal that was too good to resist. Shortly after that the dealer went belly up. Not sure it wasn't my deal that broke the camel's back.
    Anyway, the car I think I want now after much looking and agonizing is the Audi A6 2.8 Quattro. List price is $39,100 with the equipment I want. He'll sell to me for $37,100 which seems to be an OK price, I guess. Still negotiating on my trade. May sell it myself if I don't get a good offer from the dealer. It's a mint, one owner, M-B which should sell fairly quickly I would think.
    Several questions come to mind:
    What is the resale going to be on the Audi after 4 years? Anything like the resale on a M-B? There's not much point in saving money by buying a less expensive car only to lose the money when it's time to get rid of it. It's not the dollars I'm concerned about but the % of return I'll get later. I have the cash to buy what I want. It's just that I really like the Audi and it's over $10,000 less than the Benz. But if the Benz will give me back a much greater amount of my money later, why should I buy the less expensive Audi only to lose more money later?
    Is the Audi a car I could possibly keep (and rely on) for 10 or 12 years? I've had 12 mostly trouble free years from my Benz. Can I expect that from an Audi? I'm not a Benz snob. I've got a Jeep Cherokee that's 14 years old and has 137,000 miles on it. It, too, has been basically trouble free. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Jeep. I'm just wondering if Audi quality is near that of BMW and M-B?
    I think I'll go for the Cashmere Gray exterior with the Mélange leather interior. Just need the luxury package (sunroof & leather), Quattro, cold weather package, and rear airbags. If it came with ESP I would take it, I think. What do you think of the ESP? Is it worth it?
    Sorry to be asking so much. Hope you get a few minutes to get back to me and let me know what your opinions are. Really appreciate your time and help.
    Brian Hyde
    Your best meter of Audi resale is to price the '98 A6's that are on the market. The current body style seems likely to make it a good bet for higher than average resale. The high residuals I've read for Audi leases seem to indicate Audi is optimistic about resale too. When comparing resale of Audi to the M/B; compare actual dollars; not % of original MSRP; a $37K car can lose a lot more percent-wise than a $50k car but still be much less in actual expense.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I have it from an inside source...That Fords can burn about 2 times that amount and still be within specs (engineering source).

Not to say our Audi's should behave like Fords, but since Audi's have a long powertrain warranty and are maintenance free, I think it is in AoA best interest to treat the problem(if it is one) early.
  • rickg4rickg4 Member Posts: 5
    ok, how much do I really needs snow tires on my A6 quattro. the dealer said i dont. my (other car)subaru dealer said i didnt for my legacy AWD. my friend puts snow tires on his A4Q. audiworld has lots of folks talking about differnt snow tires. i would love to hear what you folks think.
    thanks.
    rick g.
    Unless you have performance tires on right now (summer tires), then you don't need snow tires. Oh, they will work better on snow than all-seasons, but you don't really need them.

If you have performance tires (as come with the sport package), then you will skate on snow, so you definitely need some winter tires.

Burning a quart every 1,000 miles won't clog your cats fast enough. It will clog them eventually, but you are talking about 1 quart of oil in 200 quarts of gas. Thats 1/2% oil. My Saturn burned oil at about that rate, and it took me over 5 years to wreck a cat. And it only had a single cat. Your A6 has 2 (or 4), so the damage is cut down somewhat.

So yes, burning oil will clog your cats. But Audi knows you won't clog them fast enough, so they'll wait you out, instead of taking action.

I'm not excusing it, just warning you.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    With a mountain of experience with Audi's (my wife and I have had a total of 24) I would first like to assure you that the Audi A6 is a good choice on many fronts:

1.Performance -- not a superstar in any category; but Audis are "synergistic" -- the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. In fact, with the 2.7T -- the car is a superstar in several respects; and a 2.7T with Sport Suspension is great in many areas and; see below --

2.Value -- you get more car for the money than the likely competition -- even the Japanese vehicles; which just don't have that "cut from a block of steel" feel that the German cars have.

3.Safety -- frankly the combination of the passive safety devices; electronic safety devices; body rigidity; and, quattro -- make the Audi A6 quattro one of the safest cars on the market. Advice -- get Xenon Headlights and ESP. They are not expensive options (even at full list) and they will make the car that much safer (and in some respects perform better).

4.Resale value -- will be good, not great. Even now, the Audi brand, here in the US (especially) is NOT the resale champ. But, it is not terrible -- there is increasing evidence that the resale value is starting to go north of average for the class. There is evidence that this will continue -- but nothing is guaranteed.

Your comment/question about keeping the car over 10 years makes me wonder "why?" With no disrespect intended -- and having read the book, "The Millionaire Next Door." I cannot imagine keeping any car (other than a "classic" or exotic) longer than 4 years. Practically speaking, I cannot really justify keeping the car more than 3 years, and here is why.

A car is very much like a computer -- constantly improving in capability, capacity, speed, features, functions -- and benefits. Generally, the Computer Industry has been able to bring out new and "better" models every few months and typically give you "more more more" for the same or sometimes less money.

Generally -- broadly -- cars constantly improve in most, if not all, the same ways that Computers do -- and often for "the same money" (in inflation adjusted terms) provide more car with each new generation or model year.

As I have practically reached age 50, I believe there is an argument that would state:

The new features and functions of the [XXXX year Audi] justify replacing my "old" Audi on the basis of safety alone.

Moreover, juxtaposed with safety, are (generally) greater efficiency (e.g., mileage), lower pollution, higher relability (longer mean time between unplanned "unavailability" episodes), greater performance and improved comfort and convenience features.

Getting a car more frequently can both save your life (potentially) and increase your enjoyment of driving. The opportunity cost of a new car every 3 years IS WORTH this when contrasted with the savings (the frugality issue) that are possible by keeping the car 10 - 12 years. After all you can't spend it if you're dead -- and why not go first class if that is a by product of keeping a car for 3 versus 12 years?

If you purchased an Audi in 1985 (and then the 1986 Audi 5000 quattro had ABS) and kept it 12 years, you were potentially taking an unnecessary risk. You could have upgraded in 1988 and saved your life (potentially). At this 3 year time frame your "depreciation loss" would not have been overwhelming -- at least in my judgment -- which is predicated on the "safety" features (e.g. ABS).

Finally -

All this reminds me of another "choice" we either voluntarily make or in some cases are forced to make: Insurance. We generally buy it "just in case" something goes wrong -- not because we expect it to.

Keeping your automotive technology current is like keeping your Computer current, your medication current, your insurance current, your use of many products current and so on.

So, yes the Audi will undoubtably "last" 10+ years and after that period of time will be just about financially spent -- you will have "got your money's worth." Yet, at least consider the points above and make certain you can afford to keep a car that long.

Just a thought.

ABS -- don't even consider a car without it.

Passive safety systems -- ditto.

Active safety systems -- again, ditto.

ESP -- now that ALL Audis can be had with this and it has a list price of about $500.00 -- and (to compare) the CD changer is $650 -- hmmmm not even a consideration; ESP will change and possibly save your life. Try driving on ice (once with and once without ESP). The difference is not trivial.

Good luck.
    Audi says turn off ESP on ice in the manual. The problem is that ESP is designed to activate your brakes without you really telling it to. This can cause a wheel to break free and put you in trouble.

Of course, EDL uses the brakes without your input also, and you can't turn that off. So go figure.
  • brhydebrhyde Member Posts: 2
    I am amazed at how much I am learning, not only about cars in general, Audis in particular, but also things I hadn't really thought much about. Some of the posts and emails have really got me to thinking about more than just getting a new car. Does everyone who participates in this forum have a degree in psychology? So many different angles of the whole car buying experience have been approached! I truly think it's a great thing to have divergent opinions about what buying a care is really about. Special thanks to Mark and Tim who started me thinking about a lot of issues. I'm pretty much decided on the A6Q at this point. And I'll definitely go for the ESP and rear air bags after hearing from Mark. Guess I'll drive my M-B down to Florida (where I spend the winter) in a few weeks and sell it privately down there. There's not much market here on Cape Cod in a town of 1200 people for a used M-B. In Sarasota, on the other hand, Mercedes is the car of choice. Right after the Cadillac, that is. Still wondering what to expect for a discount on a $40,000 Audi? Is $2,000 about right? What about the idea that you can't get the Premium package (with the memory seat and xenon headlights) and the Luxury package (sunroof, leather) together? Seems strange to me but that's what the dealer says. It's one or the other. Not both. Hmmm? Well, thanks everybody for helping me out with this car buying experience. Keep those emails and posts coming!
    BH
    I am aware that Audi suggests turning off the ESP when all four wheels are on ice. I should have used a different example. The "spirit" of what I said regarding ESP is, however, accurate.

My first introduction, personally behind the wheel of a car with ESP was January 2000 in Seefeld Austria -- the car was a 2000 Audi A4 2.8 quattro sport. These cars are used by Audi in their course that is given totally on ice -- the course is for safety and performance -- the emphasis is on safety.

The reason the course is on ice is that it is possible to duplicate a wide variety of "emergency" situations at speeds that rarely exceed 50kmph. And, new brakes and tires are NOT needed on a daily basis, so I suspect there is a bit of practicality to having the course on ice, too.

But, back to the ESP for a moment. Broadly speaking, imagine if your car had four separate brake pedals, each with ABS; and, although not in the same literal sense, imagine that your car (quattro) had four accelerator pedals.

Now imagine that your brain, inner ear and other sensory inputs to your body could instantaneously evaluate the speed of each wheel, the direction of the "intent" (i.e., the angle of the steering wheel versus the actual response of the car) of the driver in a turning situation and a host of other inputs having to do with slippage, braking, acceleration, understeer, etc. Then imagine that you could press the correct combination of pedals to "get yourself out of trouble."

Using such simple concepts as "pivot, pitch and yaw" -- it is pretty easy to imagine that if you could apply the brake to perhaps one wheel or two wheels diagonally (for example)independently, cut the power -- even though you "thought" you wanted to accelerate and correct a "bad situation" instantly you would be an incredible driver.

Guess what? -- ESP can "figure out" which brake to apply -- even if you are not pressing the brake pedal -- to get you out of an understeer problem, for example. ESP could prevent your car from oversteering or understeering (under certain circumstances); ESP can reduce the problems associated with such situations even when the situation is "unpreventable."

We were instructed, while on ice, to take eight laps through a series of orange cones that had been laid out as if there was an "S" curve that we had to negotiate. We were instructed to accelerate and get into second gear as quickly as possible and then negotiate the curve without hitting any of the cones.

The first four times ESP was on then the next four times ESP was turned off. What a difference!

Now, it is true that the professional drivers could generally equal or beat their lap times with ESP off -- but not every time. And it is equally true that the rest of us who were not professional race drivers could generally beat [better] our lap times with the ESP turned on.

These were quattros with manual transmissions, 193 HP V6's and four studded sport snow tires on a sheet of ice quadruple the size of a football field. Speeds -- for the non-pros rarely exceeded 50kmph and for the pros they could sometimes get up to 80kmph.

The impact of ESP was so profound (for those of us who drive on open (that is, not closed race tracks) highways) that my wife immediately ordered a 2001 TT to replace her then 3 month old 2000 TT. And, due to the fact that the dealer just "forgave" her lease after six or seven months (it took about 4 months for the 2001 to arrive) -- we did not even face a depreciation issue.

All this was meant to encourage anyone who is looking for a new vehicle -- from any mfg. -- to consider ESP and to strongly consider shifting to a make that offers ESP if your current brand does not offer this feature.

And, this too was meant to acknowledge that my previous example does somewhat contradict the Audi manual. Please do not think that ESP is anything less than a technology that is as impressive or perhaps more impressive than ABS (when it was "new).

Thanks for allowing me to clarify. And, if you ever want to spend three fabulous days learning how to become a better, safer driver, I cannot praise the Audi driving school too highly. It is an exceptional and relatively inexpensive experience (2000DM). There is a minimum of a one year waiting list, last time I checked. Be guided accordingly.

Keep up the dialog.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Jim3039 - Congratulations on your choice of a new Audi!

1. The Acqiusition Fee - This is their fee for "acquiring" or buying the car in the first place. It seemss like this is what the dealer's profit is for, yes? YES - they can drop it if you insist. Some dealers don't even have this gouge added to their contracts. Just be ready to walk out over this.

2. Disposition Fee - This is to pay them to "dispose" of the car when the lease was up. Gee, I thought that's what resale profit was for. You can see how ridiculous these arbitrary fees are. IF they made NO profit on the sale of the cars, this would be acceptable, but otherwise??? Again- be firm - and DO NOT pay it! Total ripoff!

3. Other Fees - Just keep you eyes open - other have mentioned even "Messenger Fees"!! How absured.

Just be aware that every dollar that you do not pay out the door gets rolled into the Cap Cost, and you pay interest on that. So - If they hit you with a $600 fee that you pay up front, that is $600 less that you have to reduce the Cap Cost, or use for something else. Just be careful and take your time. Better to write down all the figures, take them home and study them.

Good Luck!
    Here in Cincinnati we are having a snow storm.

After having been through Audi driving school 3 times -- twice for me and once for my wife, we have learned a few things that may help you.

As they say -- the "general spirit" of the following is accurate -- but, my advice to you is to test these techniques at a place where there's no one else around (an empty parking lot, for example -- that is covered with snow or slush).

Ok folks here is the first Big One (snow storm) of the Winter of 2000 - 2001 (at least in Cincinnati).

Most of you reading this have cars that have ABS (Anti-lock Braking Systems).

Most of you reading this have PROBABLY had the ABS engage at one time or another during your driving history.

Most of you -- and no offense intended to anyone -- according to statistics, do not know how to use ABS properly.

Most people when they apply their brakes on a slick surface notice the "chattering" or pulsing sensation they feel through the brake pedal -- this sort of a "joy buzzer" feeling is generally a surprise and sometimes, depending on the thickness of your shoes, may even give a bit of a tickle sensation. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

The next thing most people do when this pulsing starts is either:

1. Reduce pressure on the brake pedal in an attempt to get the pulsing to stop; or,

2. Maintain pressure on the brake thinking that the technology is in control and will help them stop -- in other words they more or less ignore the brake and let the technology "do its thing."

Both of these "typical" responses are wrong, #1 is the most wrong, however.

Generally, the action you should take when the ABS pulsing sensation begins is to significantly INCREASE the pressure you are applying on the brake pedal. This is true for both automatic transmission and manual shift transmission.

Until the car is going very slowly, if the car is a stick shift, you should NOT depress the clutch until "impending wheel lockup" which will happen even with ABS at speeds less than 10 - 15 mph (generally less than 10 mph is when you should depress the clutch to prevent the engine from stalling).

Doing #1 or #2 above will INCREASE the stopping distance -- which is probably not what you had intended.

Increasing the brake pressure -- by imagining (and trying to accomplish) your right leg pressing at 80 - 100 pounds pressure -- will DECREASE your stopping distance and the car will still be able to be steered.

Now, of course if you ARE going too fast for the car to actually be turned, you will have a condition called UNDERSTEER. And this too is the tricky one -- if, for example, you are trying to make a left turn, and the ABS "kicks in" and you keep pressing harder and harder on the brake and simultaneously turn the steering wheel to the left and the car continues to go "straight" -- you are UNDERSTEERING.

Most people will turn the wheel even further to the left hoping to make the car go in the direction they intended. Well, I am here to tell you that if you are in such a situation and you have turned the wheel [all the way, e.g.] to the left and the car is going "mostly straight" heading toward a telephone pole instead of turning left at 90 degrees -- you CAN (probably) make the car complete the left turn by turning the wheel about a half to a full a turn TO THE RIGHT!

It doesn't "feel" natural -- but I swear, it works!

The worst that will happen is that you will hit the pole anyway, and it is more likely that the car will actually turn left -- even though you just turned the wheel to the right.

Give it a try (in that empty parking lot). It could prevent an accident!

Maintain assured clear distance -- and be careful out there.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding posts 588 and 590:

Great posts! Between the two I noticed you overlooked some critical information related to stability control systems (ESP, DSC, DSTC, etc. etc.). You are probably aware of this but I want to point it out as often as I see an opportunity - accident avoidance maneuvers MUST be conducted contrary to our training using these systems. In cars without stability control systems, we have all been taught to steer in the same direction as the sliding rear-end of the car. With stability control systems THIS WILL CAUSE AN ACCIDENT. The proper response with a stability control system active is to keep the steering wheel pointed where you want the car to go. This is counterintuitive and I highly encourage all drivers with these systems to go out and practice this a couple of times in a snow or ice covered EMPTY parking lot to train your body to not automatically try to correct a slide. It can be particularly tricky for some cars where the driver has the choice of whether they want to turn off the stability control system (I don't know if it is driver selectable in the Audis but I know it is in our Volvos). In these cases, the driver must be acutely aware of whether or not their system is active at any point while they are driving otherwise they could get into real trouble real quick by either steering or not steering to correct a slide.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • rjsenrjsen Member Posts: 30
    The only thing I might add is that ideally, you shouldn't trigger the ABS in the first place if stopping as quickly as possible is your goal. even though modern ABS systems are quite good, they still can't stop a car in as short a distance as a driver who's properly threshold braking. Now, ABS certainly has many advantages (such as the ability to safely steer while braking), but stopping distance is not one of them.
  • jim3039jim3039 Member Posts: 28
    automophile - Thanks for the great lease negotiating tips. My goal is keep my total out-of-pocket around $1,500 to $2,000 on a negotiated price of approximately $37,000. Let's see how much luck I have.

bryhyde - Regarding Audi's strange options packaging on the A6, I have been in a similar situation. I've had at least 2 dealers tell me I could not get the Premium Package, Leather and Sunroof/Homelink unless I special ordered. Thanks Mike's advice in this forum, I've made additional calls and think I've found a 2.8 equipped as refrenced above. My advice is to call other dealers. I've been amazed by the inaccurate information various dealers have quoted me during this process. Good Luck.
    The advantages of threshold breaking over ABS are so very minimal, and the edge you need to hold it on to get the advantage is so small that you shouldn't bother trying to hit the threshold unless you are incredibly familar with your car and have had tons of practice doing it.

Even in track racing where drivers are very familiar with their cars and use full-force braking all the time, most teams now run with ABS in races which allow it. Even when the rules require a weight or HP penalty.

You probably should let the ABS do the work.

markcincinnati, why shouldn't I take the engine power off? I don't do it anyway (in my auto), but how would it hurt? In a stick I almost always brake with the clutch in.

Also note that Audi's ABS system is less loud, disruptive, and makes the pedal bounce less than most other systems.
    In case it's still not clear, here's a clarification of the option availability on the A6 2.8. The "Celebration Luxury Package", priced at $1975, is a very cost effective way to get leather seating, power moonroof, and HomeLink. Most 2001 A6 2.8s in dealer stock include this package. There's only one drawback: On any A6 2.8 ordered with this package, the following items cannot be ordered:

- Premium Package (multi-function steering wheel, memory front seats & outside mirrors, auto-dimming inside & outside mirrors, and xenon headlights)

- Guidance Package (navigation system & ParkTronic)

- CD Changer (no problem; can still be dealer-installed)

- Audi factory phone (same as above)

No one at Audi has been able to give me a reasonable explanation for this. It's really stupid, since there's no overlap of components between the Celebration Luxury Package and the pre-empted items. What makes it even more stupid is that they'll let you order any/all of the disallowed items as long as you don't say, "...and I'd also like to spend an additional $1975 for the Celebration Luxury Package." Spend that $$$, and they won't sell you any of the other items listed. Stupid, very stupid.

There IS, however, a very easy way to get a 2.8 equipped just the way you want it; the only drawback is that you don't reap the high value of the Celebration Luxury Package's low pricing. Here's what to do:

- If you want leather, order it as the $1550 stand-alone option. It's not shown in the brochure as an "option package" because it's not a "package"; it's a stand-alone option available on the 2.8 only.

- If you want the moonroof, order the $1200 "Sunroof Package" (which also includes HomeLink).

- Order any, all, or none of the other available options, including the "Premium Package", "Guidance Package", CD changer, or phone. (Note that the "Cold Weather Package" can be ordered on any A6 2.8, regardless of the absence or presence of other options.)

Although the dealers tend to stock A6 2.8s equipped with the Celebration Luxury Package (and hence without the Premium Package or other ineligible options), I'm seeing more and more in dealer stock (here in northern CA) with stand-alone leather, Sunroof Package, and Premium Package. My hunch is that the latter versions weren't available during initial production, but they definitely are available now.

I'll throw in just one final thought. I think you're wise to hold your ground on getting a car with the Premium Package. While the multi-function wheel and memory seats are nice, the auto-dimming mirrors and xenon headlights are fabulous;in my opinion, they fully justify their price of admission.

Good luck in your quest. Let me know if I can be of further help.

- Mike
    My '01 2.7T has both the "Preferred" (leather, sunroof, Homelink) and "Premium" pkg. as described above.
    The entire process is actually much simpler on the 2.7T. The only way to get leather, moonroof, HomeLink, or memory seats/mirrors is to order the $2925 "Preferred Luxury Package" which includes all 4 items. It can be ordered regardless of whether or not the $800 "Premium Package" (multi-function steering wheel, auto-dimming mirrors, and xenon headlights) is ordered, and vice versa.
  • bthirkbthirk Member Posts: 8
    I was looking at the options list for the 2.7T and noticed there is a sport package available with 17" wheels. Is this true and does anyone out there recommend that size over the standard 16"?

Thanks for your help.
  • manthony1948manthony1948 Member Posts: 3
    We took delivery of our new A6 2.8Q a couple of weeks ago and are noticing a decrease in responsiveness in the powertrain. It seems to be most noticeable when shifting out of reverse and into drive, as there's a definite lag, but the shifts between all the gears are somewhat sloppy. I checked the postings over at Audiworld and noticed so folks had changed out the control module chips for third party products in the pursuit of better performance. I'm suspecting this is my problem but does anybody know if the Audi dealers are doing a chip changeout or a computer reflash to correct this problem?
  • rapid1rapid1 Member Posts: 1
    I know its early, but anyone have info on the 2002 A6?
  • mauritiusmauritius Member Posts: 12
    Goodday. Now that I have finally settled for a A6 4.2, the only question remains is do I need to replace the P6000 tires with snow ones?? The tires' size is 255/40-17. I plan to go to a few ski trips in New England. I am considering Bridgestone Blizzak, but they only comes in 235/40-17.I am not sure whether I should spend another 800 bucks for snow tires on a new all wheel drive car.

Mike, thank you for your pictures and all your valuable suggestions throughout the post. I have decided to go for Melange/Melange, hoping it will be a bit more "heat resistance" during the summer. The Vanilla/Royal Blue is not as striking as I thought it would be. It seems to be a better fit fot A4. Burgundry/Black Interior would be my next choice.
    Steve you asked: "markcincinnati, why shouldn't I take the engine power off? I don't do it anyway (in my auto), but how would it hurt? In a stick I
    almost always brake with the clutch in." I must be very careful in my explanation and response to you (and others) regarding this issue. First, I
    agree with you -- but I must add a bit of qualification to that agreement. Our Audi driving instructors called the technique the "Bruce Lee." They said
    you should hit the brake pedal with maximum force and a moment later (ranging from a split second to a second or more) depress the clutch
    pedal. The wheel speeds could get too low if you "linger longer" with the clutch engaged and this may stall the engine. The reason for the
    one-two kick on the pedals is to achieve a little extra help in braking from the engine. In practice, we all probably do this motion "instinctively" --
    in that we press the brake pedal first and the clutch second, even if it is only a momentary time lapse between the two actions. I probably
    inadvertently (and perhaps incorrectly) wrote my "suggested method" -- slamming on both the brake and clutch "simultaneously" thereby
    reducing the chances of stalling the engine IS NOT wrong -- we are (I am) splitting hairs to make the point. Anyway, I do agree with all the posts
    that suggest "trying this [behavior/technique]" in an empty parking lot. Thanks for pointing this out.
  • rjsenrjsen Member Posts: 30
    2002 A6: Should be the same as 2001, with possible minor changes.

Snow tires: The P6000s are warm-weather performance tires. They really don't perform their best in cold weather, let alone snow. Definitely get snow tires if you'll drive in snow at all. As for the quattro thing, four times zero is still zero. Oh, and shen you're getting snow tires, you should probably get a narrower, higher-profile tire mounted on a plain steel rim. There's no point in messing up your nice new alloy wheels with salt and chemicals, and narrow tires will give more traction on ice or snow.
  • verlaqueusaverlaqueusa Member Posts: 12
    Picking up a ming blue A6 2.7 T with Tiptronic (wife did not want a stick, and I might use it to commute on those stop-and-go Bay Area freeways) tomorrow. Cold Weather package. Premium package. Preferred luxury package. Bose sound system. $1,800 over invoice. Probably could have pushed it down a little further, but why bother?
  • rjpattonrjpatton Member Posts: 1
    Verlaqueusa -

Sounds like you made a pretty good deal. I am also looking to close a deal real soon in the Bay Area. Could you provide some feedback on dealers? Which one did you buy from? and did you talk with others? I stopped by Carlson and talked briefly with a salesman -- his opening salvo was "we'll talk, but we don't discount these very much"

Thanks

Rp
    Yes, I did pretty much all over the phone. Called 6 dealers in SF, the Peninsula (Burlingame and PA), the East Bay (Walnut Creek and Concord) and Marin County and asked about cars on the lot. The guy in Concord (Internet sales manager) started discounting $2,000 off MSRP before I even said anything and we ended up that first conversation at $2,500 off MSRP. In my second conversation I got him down to $3,000 off MSRP (roughly $2,000 over invoice, although he had a $180 charge for a CD in his invoice I could not quite explain). The dealer in Marin started talking tough, then, seeing that I would do it elsewhere, offered me $2,000 over invoice, then $1,800 over invoice, so I dealt with him (as mentioned earlier, I could probably have played the game further and get down to $1,500 over, but...).
  • stevenb4stevenb4 Member Posts: 3
    2002 models should have the new 3.0 engine, coupled with twin turbot should produce around 300hp stock, who needs an S6 (I do, but no word if they will bring it to the us), also the new sport pkg. I/17inch rims should improve the handling, especially utilizing a stick. I currently have an 98 a4 2.8q w5sp/sport, which I love, except for the size. I,I tempted to upgrade to an a6 one of these days, but part of me says keep it for a winter car and get a bow 330Cic, which is a tremendous car. keep the good info coming... thanks
    What is the source of your information regarding engines for 2002?
  • suvsr4lemmingssuvsr4lemmings Member Posts: 6
    The 3.0 engine is a sure bet, but the twin turbos only go on the 2.7T still.
  • docimmerdocimmer Member Posts: 2
    I've had my A6 4.2 since October of 1999, so I've gone through one winter with it. Although it would benefit from snow tires, they're not absolutely essential. We live in northwest Wisconsin, so we get a fair amount of snow. I've driven on the highway through some unplowed roads during snowstorms and have been very impressed with the car's performance.

Snow tires would help with lateral sliding when cornering, and probably with stopping faster. I'd recommend trying the car and seeing what you think.

docimmer
  • jdg99jdg99 Member Posts: 6
    I will soon be buying a 1998 A6 Quattro from a relative. I can either buy privately or through a dealer (Relative is getting a new A6 2.7T.)

Question: Should I purchase through the dealer in order to get the Audi Assured Warranty? The dealer will not mark-up the trade-in price, but will charge $1,000 for the warranty.

The car has 34,000 miles on it and went into service in September 1998. Therefore I would have 6-9 months of factory coverage (if that warranty can be transferred.)
    Took delivery of my A6 2.7T before the week-end. Loves it! A couple of questions, though. Xenon headlight range seems kind of short. And trunk gate requires to be lifted pretty much all the way and squeals while doing so. Any thought?
    Compare the xenon pattern to regular lights...they are very bright right to the edge of the pattern and can be deceiving. If the pattern still looks short the dealer should adjust it. Your trunk lid should raise very easily and silently; something is not right.
  • mauritiusmauritius Member Posts: 12
    Thank you Risen and Docimmer for your input on Winter tires.

I have just taken delivery of my 4.2 with sports and premium package. This car is really a luxury automobile, not a sports sedan as its exterior suggest. Maybe it is because I am now driving the A6 in a very timid way. Should I wait till say 3000 miles before I drive it aggressively? I cruise mildly on highway; however, I love to shoot the gear down to second entering a curve and come out flying as high as the car allows me.
    I still have not learned all the bells & whistles yet, like the home link. My family knows where to find me during the long weekend.

BTW, the fuel gauge works well, there is no distortion on the windshield, no swirl mark etc etc...
    I have kept my P6000 tires. I shall see how it fares during these last few days of year 2000.

Last but not least: I am now a proud owner of an A6.
  • joe1445joe1445 Member Posts: 2
    For those of you who had no trouble zeroing in on the A6 but then wrestled with the decision of 4.2 or 2.7 or 2.7T, what were the factors that helped you make up your mind?
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Get the warrenty. It will be the best $1000 you ever spent
    The price difference...not much more than bragging rights for an additional $5 to $10K.
    2.7T has better performance and regardless of what the diehards claim, the two models are virtually identical in looks. 4.2 offers a few more std features....but for a lot more money. And the 2.7T get better mileage.
    Joe:

Take a long test drive of three vehicles -- 2.7T with automatic, then the 6 speed manual 2.7T; then take a test drive of a 4.2 (only comes with 5spd automatic). Hopefully, each of the cars you test has the "sport package" -- and bettter yet hopefully the 2.7T's have the 17" wheel option as part of their sport packages. I have driven (and now own) A6's both with and without the sport package -- the difference is ride quality is fairly subtle, the difference in handling is not subtle.

The A6 4.2 is best described -- to compare and/or contrast it with the 2.7T -- as more refined, better balanced (with sport package) -- it has more "poise." The typical Audi solid-steel feel is even more so on the 4.2 (than the 2.7T). They do perform similarly, but make no mistake -- according to the fine print, the 2.7T is a hair quicker than the 4.2. The 4.2 makes much "sweeter sounds" when pressed, but this in no way is meant to demean the 2.7T.

The 4.2 appears (and is) more agressive -- flared fenders, slightly longer, body effects etc. Again some of these differences are subtle -- but they are far from hidden. Creature comforts, depending on your tastes -- more in the 4.2.

Another difference I noticed is a feeling that can be best described as muscular -- the 4.2 has more strength. This is manifested in several ways: over a bump, a railroad crossing, a washboard road, etc. The 2.7T is somehow less strong, less sturdy feeling when compared back to back with the 2.7T.

In their own way, each one is a bargain. Each one will make you smile. Each one provides many safety features and creature comforts. Apparently there is more "dealing" room on a 4.2 so the monthly lease payment difference between the two are not too great.

I would love to have my 4.2 with a 6 sp manual transmission -- this is my most significant "gripe" with the car. I have been told that there is a 6 speed tiptronic transmission that will "equal" the performance of the 6 spd manual -- but alas not here in the US and not in 2001 (so far).

It is not necessarily an easy choice -- again, try the back to back to back test drives if at all possible.