Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• jonwardjonward Member Posts: 8
    I have a purple, custom-ordered A6 3.2 with 3,000 miles now and I love it. I got most of the bells and whistles. No problems. Except: the steering wheel adjusts by releasing a mechanical lock at the bottom of the steering column. What do you have to order to get an electrically-adjusted steering column?

I guess I'm already planning for my next three year lease...
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    You have to buy the 4.2... :)
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    I have it in my 4.2 :P
  • dan339gdan339g Member Posts: 56
    I also special ordered my 3.2, and was told the power adjustable wheel is only available on the 4.2. Since I seldom adjust the wheel it's not a big deal for me, however not even having the choice is disappointing considering this is standard on some competing models.
  • bpaubpau Member Posts: 20
    I special ordered an A6 3.2 Dakar Beige metallic w/Beige interior. Has anyone seen this combo or at least the exterior color on the streets? I based my color choice based on the color sample in the option book. I'm tired of the silver and wanted something different. I hope the color looks true to the sample. But I'm a little worried :confuse:

Also...not sure why I didn't do this at the time of ordering but has anyone added Satellite after factory to their A6?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I really like the Canyon Red personally. You don't really see it a whole lot. The lighter interiors to me make it look a lot roomier, but the darker interiors are classic Audi.

I believe all the A6's have satellite prep ready to go. You just need to decide between XM or Sirius and it can be set up at the dealer. But you will pay though. MMI can be a pain to work with and I'd only trust the dealer on that one. Plus I think you get some free time if you do it that way.

-Paul
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Take my money, please.

When I was in graduate school back in 1976, I took a marketing course or two and a management course. My wife while also in graduate school took a course or two in finance and other general biz type courses.

I kept my textbooks -- and yes they are old and mouldy to be sure -- for in these books lies what one would assume to be an axiom of business: "when the customer wants to give you money, take it."

Now, of course I have summarized 1/3 of the textbook into that statement. But, the thing is, the power steering column is a current feature, not a one off or custom set up.

Why not offer this as an option and take the customer's money?

This ticked me off, so much, when I custom ordered my 2003 allroad and WANTED the heated steering wheel which had been on prior model years.

I would have paid, oh say, $150 or so, for the option. Assuming this would have been a decent margin for the manufacturer, why not sell it to me?

I do understand in the case of transmissions the degree of difficulty and expense of mixing engines and transmissions for certain markets.

But, c'mon Audi -- "mass customization" was in my 1976 vintage text books (it might not have been called that but that is what it meant.)

I would like to buy front parktronic and NOT have to buy an A8 to get it -- what is the big deal?

Take my money, please!

The option list seems quite long and to make the 3.2 NOT have the power column and the 4.2 have it, well, makes zero sense to me.

For pity's sake, I paid $750 for the overpriced overrated Advanced Key (they saw me comming) -- they could'a got another couple bucks outta me for the power steering column.

My 4.2 A6's and my A8 of yore did have this feature and I liked it. I have no clue how much the option box would have it priced, but within reason, I again say "Audi, take my money, please!" This said, of course, in my best Henny Youngman impersonation.

On that note, I leave you with:

I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.

I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places.

My Grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

-- Henny Youngman

:D
    I am swearing off of any German car in Silver or Black. All the local dealers stock about 80% in Silver or Black (and this goes for Audis and BMW's) -- often with black interiors.

Somebody shoot me please -- the interiors are soooo confining in black, etc. So depressing too.

Beats me why, when there are many cool colors that everything has to be so mono looking.

There is a white A6 on the showroom floor AND a Misano Red SLine A6, there too -- both of those are great looking. The red one, though has the black interior, the white has beige and it looks (to me) expensive and rich, etc.

I went with the Amaretto leather (why do they charge more, again?) after flirting with buying an Infiniti M with the "Bourbon" leather interior.

I have seen several A8's in Amaretto and one other A6 (dark blue pearl) with it. I have, thus far, not seen any dark green pearl with Amaretto interiors, like mine (and that, although NOT my intention, is great with me.)

I don't see myself coming and going that is.

To each his/her own. :shades:
    When I ordered mine, I had gone to a high volume Audi dealer that had a good representative inventory of most of the colors in stock, with the exception of the Cambridge Green and Canyon Red. I found the Dakar Beige and Atlas Gray to be my two favorites and I agonized between the two. I ultimately decided on the Atlas Gray despite the proliferation of silver/gray cars out there as this color scored higher on the "gut first impression" check when walking on the lot. I was also a bit conscious of it being more popular when it comes to re-sale. That being said, I've seen a few Dakar Beige models on the road and they are very handsome and definitely distinctive in the sea of silver cars out there. In regard to interiors, I completely agree the lighter color makes it feel more spacious, as well as "cooler" in warm weather. I'm confident you'll be very satisfied.
    I've got a Finance background as well, and we strongly encourage our sales team to take money when offered. It's really difficult to understand the logic, since it is inconceivable someone would pony up the addition money for the 4.2 just to get a power adjustable wheel, and it is certainly not a unique or exclusive option that provides any "halo" effect. But then, I'm not in marketing.

Thanks for the fun Henny quips, but oye...you forgot:

"The Doctor says "You'll live to be 60!" "I AM 60!" "See, what did I tell you?"

"A bum asked me "Give me $10 till payday." I asked "When's payday?" He said "I don't know, you're the one who is working!"

"There was a girl knocking on my hotel room door all night! Finally, I let her out."

"Those two are a fastidious couple. She's fast and he's hideous."

"My son complains about headaches. I tell him all the time, when you get out of bed, it's feet first!"
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really feel relieved with my color choice. I can't wait to see it. I believe I still have another month and a 1/2 to go for my order :) .
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I think the Atlas Gray/Ebony combination is sharp and looks really rich with the dark walnut trim. Nothing confining about that to me.

If I ever special orderd an A6, I'd pay extra to get the Arctic white w/ Amaretto. I don't know why Audi doesn't offer White/Amaretto as a factor option. I think it would look awesome.
    White with Amaretto would be my first choice, alas. . .

I have always ordered my cars, BTW.

Twice as much fun, if you get my meaning.
    The creme de le creme for me would be an Arctic White/Amaretto car w/ an alcantera suede Amaretto headliner and door inserts like the A8.

I'd almost sell my townhome and live in the back seat...:))))
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I have it with a silver headliner - no longer available .... it's a collectors item:)
    I also would have opted for that. Good thing auto steering wheel doesn't have the side mirror bug. There would be alot of bruised crotches out there:)

Why not have headlight washer option sold independently. In my '05 it was bundled with seat warmer and I never get that. So now I don't have it but miss it. It was a great safety feature while hot buns are not.
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    If we we are bugged out about colors and option choices in the absence of complaints one must conclude the A6 is a hell of a car and not problematic.

Sure there are exceptions, but I can't remember too many forums with so few problems.

I would say this about other sites also.

So A6 owners, you a happy group?
    Delighted.

The car and I have issues, but they are not problems:

1. Wish it had better tires

2. A bit more HP and torque would be nice.

3. I would have liked to have been able to order RS6 wheels from the dealer as an option without the full Sline treatment.

4. Wish the nav system played DVDs while car was parked.

5. Ventilated seats would have been nice

6. In dash CD in addition to in glove box CD changer

7. More voice commands

8. Single stop start "starter button"

9. DSG transmission (I don't even hope for a stick anymore from Audi)

10. Option of 3.0TDI engine with MASSIVE torque

11. Option of power actuated steering column

12. Remote start option

13. Lane departure warning system (a la Infiniti M)

There, that's a baker's dozen -- no issues of any consequence. Nuttin's perfect. This is a very nice car.

These days, most of them are, though.

I am glad someone else is noticing the lack of problems discussed. . .it is a change for the better. :shades:
    Another 25 ponies and the 3.2 would be a slam dunk.

How about a rear view backup camera?

BTW

This and my '01 2.7t have been great cars. My '99 2.8 was lemonized. It's no fun having a lemon and Audi was not very cooperative about it.
    I'm still in the "honeymoon" after 3 months and just about 2K miles, but other than a barely discernible intermittent rattle the car has been flawless. In terms of the "wish list", I would throw my support behind a bit more horse power, and the power steering wheel. However, the biggest "miss" for me is the lack of an integrated Ipod or MP3 player connection into the sound system. These are becoming commonplace in many new models. To make matters worse, there are no retro-fit options for the A6 system. The only option is to use an FM transmitter, which offers inconsistent performance in metropolitan areas. I hope someone from Audi USA follows this forum!
    While I love my MP3 player as much as anyone, I love My XM.

The variety and choices available has really lessoned my CD buying habits. For about the price of one CD per month I have it in both cars and its nice to just get in the car and just go without having to load new tunes, or fiddle with the player. Even with 3200 songs, its still familiar music. IM afraid with Ipod hook up my kids would be shoving theirs in all the time!

I would be happy with a direct input!

IM not downplaying the love for the Ipod, just very happy with XM.
    Our new BMW arrived first in May, 2005. BMW as a factory item offers only Sirius. We took it. We loved it. With BMW it is "free for a year."

With this info and timing as our only reasons, we opted for Sirius #2 in my new 2005 Audi (also ordered once we knew BMW only offered Sirius.)

We double love it.

Audi gives 3 months free, then I bought the "family" plan for my Audi and prepaid 11 months and got the 12th at no charge and we got the discount.

We will have paid for 11 months and, essentially had 16 months free when my wife's car is one year old in a couple of months.

This is NOT an anti XM statement. I would probably love it too. We love Sirius -- we almost never use the CD changer and even though there is a KNOWN hidden plug for your iPod already in your/my car (MMI + Bose Premium are required, however -- maybe nav is, too, I can't recall), I have zero interest in using it since the choices on Sirius exceed my expectations.

I wouldn't bother with an iPod in the car with sat radio, AM, FM and a CD changer.

Now, I did burn a couple of CD's of some of my favorite tunes, but heck, Sirius always pleases and it always brings with it a bit of the unknown and unexpected.

Turned it on this morning and son of a gun there was King Crimson. Then four Beatles songs, then some Vivaldi then Jimmy Buffet, then "New Age" something or other, then Tony Snow, then Mozart, then Ten Years After, then Page & Plant, Springsteen, Beethoven and CNBC, followed by the Jazz Cafe and some "girlie music" followed by Captain Beyond and Spirit. Sean Hannity came on and it was Bye Bye Miss American Pie all the way home. . . .

Who's got TIME for an iPod for pity's sake.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :surprise:
    "we almost never use the CD changer and even though there is a KNOWN hidden plug for your iPod already in your/my car (MMI + Bose Premium are required"

This is not "KNOWN" to my dealer, as I have spoken with my salesman and the service manager (I do have the MMI & Bose). They referred me to an after market place that would install a device that would feed the Ipod output thru the FM antenna connection, which didn't sound right to me. Do you have an actual jack to connect the player to, and if so, where?

I primarily use the Ipod for audio books and have recently gotten into podcasts. While I've no aversion to the Sirius, I've not found it significantly better than regular FM broadcasts available in my area to justify paying for it.

Thanks.
  • sbw1959sbw1959 Member Posts: 2
    My lease on my 2003 A6 Quattro is up in April. I have 58,000 miles. The dealer said I can extend my warranty for 2 more years for $2,500. That seems like a lot of money. Does anyone think I'll have $2,500 worth of repairs in that time to make it worth the expense?
    I don't know where you live but here in Cincinnati which has a relatively small SMSA of 1.5 million, the music stations offer a very narrow range of music.

Since I typed my last entry above, I have had the need to drive from northern Cincinnati to northern Kentucky and back to northern Cincinnati on business -- about 1.5 hours.

The number of songs I was able to hear could not ever have been heard on broadcast radio.

To quote my wife "satellite radio will KILL AM and FM for music variety."

Full disclosure, both my wife and I were in commercial FM radio as "disk jockies" for some six years through undergraduate and graduate school (and for me, beyond that in top 40 radio) and we have extremely broad music tastes.

Contemporary AM and FM radio are economically incapable of playing the mix of available music offered by sat radio.

If you want a music education, ONLY sat radio today is even remotely capable of providing it.

But I do understand that most people want to hear music that is "contemporary" and generally speaking not obscure.

Most of us, caught in some time frame, also want this. But despite its age, hearing Minnie Ripperton as the lead singer of Rotary Connection wail a Bob Dylan or Rolling Stones song is such a rare treat it is as if it were the first time.

This experience just won't happen on commercial over the air radio.

It was a pause that refreshed too when a pristine copy of Van Morrison's "And it stoned me" was played on a station called Shuffle -- which plays anything and everything as if you had loaded the inventory of a Virgin Records CD store into a giant CD player and pushed "random play."

I am not against iPods -- I just can't imagine being entertained knowing the songs and the order of them or even the possible universe of them that might come up when sat radio is available with a universe that is exponentially bigger. If you lend any credence to Sound and Vision magazine, there is a quote in the March issue that sort of says "iPods have moved to the category of no longer cool and desirable" (something like that.)

I can't get my wife to use hers -- she says why bother when you have sat radio.

Try as I might I can't seem to get to all the channels and god knows I've tried.

But, to each his own -- there is a document "sort of" secret plug that can be used to plug your iPod into.

I have briefly read the reports about it, for it also seems to be able to accept the input of a DVD player, too and I find that activity NUTS. But if you want to find out about it, shoot me an email and I'll give you the URL of where you can vet this and see if it is real or if it is wishful thinking.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    These things tend to average out, over a long term.

The odds that you're going to endure a $2500 repair are fairly small, but the odds that any four (or four hundred) drivers will . . . and so on.

Here's the real deal, in my never humble opinion. They sell these things in order to make money -- it's not a public service. Once the markups and paybacks and kickbacks are figured in, perhaps the average hit (given the disclaimers are regarding what's covered) is 60% of the price (or less).

As Mark is happy to point out, repairs on these vehicles are (you fill it in) expensive. However, on the average, the repairs will cost significantly less than 60% (or 35% -- the markup could be astronomical) of 2500, or they wouldn't sell it to you for that price. Let's say the average payout is $1000 on that $2500 policy. . .

So, are you feeling lucky? How many shots were fired? (pardon the dated cliche)

What I'm learning to come to grips with is that German vehicles have significant issues, some of the time, but mostly not. My very short list of next vehicles includes two from Germany, one from Japan and (gasp, given my miserable experience with Lincoln) one from the U.S.

I'm sure you'll get a different point of view from most of the others.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Uh, that would be "breathtakingly" expensive and "So, are you feeling lucky. . .punk?"

To CPO an Audi that has equal to or less than 49,999 miles on it to 100,000 miles as an Audi factory warranty, is about $1,295 - $1,500.

That amount would seem to be worthwhile -- otherwise put the $2,500 in a mutual fund or CD and "self insure."

Do NOT "run naked" however.

Signed,

Often wrong, NEVER uncertain. :surprise:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    They sell these things in order to make money -- it's not a public service.

True, but life insurance and medical insurance are there to make money as well. I know I pay more per year for my medical premiums than I use; I do so because I don’t want the million dollar bill (or lack of care) if a large problem occurs. So I pay them their profits.

I’d hate to have to replace Audi’s 6 speed transmission…or MB’s 7and now Lexus’s 8 out of warranty.

I supposed it’s not accurate to compare medical insurance to auto insurance…medical is your life…auto is just money.
    FWIW I think the comparison is valid.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Just a reminder that GEICO auto insurance offers a mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI) program -- essentially an extended warranty that is very inexpensive. You pay a very low premium each premium period. If you do incur an expensive repair, there is a $250 deductible, but everything in the car is covered. (On a big ticket repair, I can live with this deductible). If you are lucky, and have few service problems, you could save a bundle when compared to shelling out $2,500 to $3,000 for a third party warranty.

Coverage is available on new cars with less than 15,000 miles and 15 months since purchase.

I don't have the policy yet but do plan to take it just prior to my 15th month of A6 ownership. The fine print: you have to have your auto insurance policy with GEICO in order to avail yourselves of this MBI insurance.

Here are some of the details from their website:

GEICO’s Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) is designed to protect you from these bumps along the road. After a $250 deductible, MBI covers repairs to all mechanical parts of the car - except for maintenance and wear and tear. That means you'll never be saddled with unanticipated and expensive repair bills.

Special Protection For New Cars
    MBI is specially designed to protect your new or leased car that is less than 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles. Once you've purchased MBI, you can renew it for up to seven years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Better Than An Extended Warranty
    GEICO’s MBI provides better coverage and is cheaper than the typical dealer extended warranty. MBI coverage:
    • Includes all parts and systems-not just the specific list of items covered by most dealer warranties.
    • Saves you money. You pay only a small premium each policy period-not a large lump-sum payment up front.
    • Lets you get your car repaired wherever you like.

Swap Your Extended Warranty For GEICO’s MBI
    Already purchased your dealer’s extended warranty? Most contracts give you a full refund if you cancel within 30 to 60 days.
    The right King Crimson song can just melt the miles!

If one has a varied taste, Sat radio is a must!

I often feel like they are playing from my catalog of CDs, but then bring in so much more!
    Interesting.

What's the premium for the car you're planning to use it on (& what's the car)?

Sadly, these things come with a lot of baggage, which means it's necessary to read ALL the fine print to verify that, for example, when an Audi power seat packs up, it'll pick up the $1200 (or whatever) cost, including labor, etc. Or, when one or both turbos on a TT go, it's happy to do the $6K tab.
    The only problem with Geico was on one car (my A6) they were $500/year cheaper than my other insurance co. When I recently added a second car they became $650 more, so I switched back. Go figure.
    I purchased a special order A6 on 1/2/06. At that time the sales associate stated it would take about 2 months to come in. Now I'm getting a date if 3/20 but that's still not a definite. Does any one know the process when special ordered? I understand there's shipping and customs but what is the exact process? Those that have special ordered how long did it take? I can have a house built in this time! I'm out side of the Philadelphia area.

Virtually every Audi and one of the two BMW's we have had have been special ordered. The shortest period of time [for the Audis] has been 10 weeks, the longest approached 10 months (and if you count the TT we ordered L-O-N-G before its announced order date, well that probably took over one year.)

My wife's BMW, ordered apparently at exactly the right time took under 8 weeks.

The Infiniti I had ordered but did not end up buying had a 16 week lead time.

Were I to be forced to throw a dart at a target, I would aim for 10 - 14 weeks as standard, normal and customary.

When we built our house in 1990 (4,000sf) it took about 6 months -- we started in January, however, which I am certain slowed things down a mite.

Ordering a car is THE best for several reasons unless you happen to find EXACTLY what you want in inventory -- hardly ever, if ever, has happened to me.

If you are willing to take options you don't want or forgo options you do want or if you have several color combinations and wheels that would "OK" then you can "buy off the rack."

I have always found the price is a bit better when ordering since the dealer has no inventory holding cost and virtually no finance charges to pay. Plus, I usually give between $250 and $500 down (on the Infiniti I gave them $1,500) which they essentially get as a loan from me interest free. Although the Audi dealer simply holds the check until the car comes in and then applies it to the deal.

Most of all, ordering a car is -- to me -- like getting a new car when you place the order and then three months later getting it again when you actually pick it up.

I guess we Americans are impatient -- and I am representative of that remark, I admit it. But the anticipation of the new car EXACTLY as I want it is worth it.

In fact, almost as soon as I get my new car, I begin planning on my next one, even though it is usually some 30 months down the road before I know I will actually get a new one.

With the A6, I can say, "My how time flies when you're having fun." This has been about the fastest 10 months (10 lease payments) I have ever lived through. And, the A6 just keeps getting better all the time.

Frankly, too, the packages offered in 2005 seemed to be a bit more flexible than in 2006. I miss NOT getting the sport suspension which was $250 in 2005 and I miss the heated steering wheel and powered steering column that could only be had with the thirsty V8.

I have the headlight washers, too, which I understand can now be had only with the SLine package -- and although I love the wheels and the sport suspension of the SLine package, it seems to be to be "more for show" than for "go" beyond the suspension, wheels and tires.

I am not a fan of black leather interiors and here in River City so many of the SLines seem to ONLY be shown in Misano Red with Black Leather. Perhaps with a big enough discount, I'd take the Black Leather -- but then again, I can order exactly what I want.

I ordered the Pearl Green paint and the Premium Amaretto colored leather seats -- a combination I have ever yet to see since. Perhaps this is because it is so hideous no one else wants it; or, perhaps I have such refined tastes (wait 'til I pull my nose out of the clouds, Prescot.)

Whatever. . .I like the combo. Also I considered the Voice Activation and Smart Key and NavSystem as deal breakers -- ordering this color and option combination was, practically speaking, the only way to go.

Today, I really like the Amaretto interior but think it would be as "fine as wine" inside a White Gloss A6 -- this combination is NOT allowed for some reason.

Ordering is worth the wait, is the point. :shades:
  • akassemakassem Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if Audi made any changes (cosmetic, function, improvements, etc.) from the 2005 to the 2006 model year?
    I am trying to decide if there are any differences between the 2 model years that warrant me buying a 2006 model.

Thanks.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I think some of the content of the packages changed. You may want to look at Edmunds car pricing or KBB.com to see how each one would option out and what is included with each package.

-Paul
    Several magazines have sections called "charting the changes."

Google or Dogpile them. Think Car & Driver, Road & Track, Field & Stream (just kidding.)

Several websites, Audi only websites have similar posts and they are often able to be copied to your clipboard for creating your own chart.

The packages changed this year.

Some content that was in one is now in another or to get individual items you may have to order a package, etc.

Easier still, call your dealer and tell him/her what you want. Unless you are "jus' considering" and not really a player so to speak, I have no reason to believe they would not help you.
  • jburleigjburleig Member Posts: 16
    Just curious if anyone knows whether getting the CVT is bound to require special ordering the car. I've only seen quattros on the dealer lot nearby, although there are some A4's with the CVT. If I ask the dealer, I am bound to hear the same line - yeah, we can find it or order it, but we can make you a better deal with what we have on the lot.

I wonder if the CVT would be hard to re-sell down the road. The quattros seem to be a staple with Audi, but they do add cost and reduce gas mileage. I think the car already has a lot going for it, compared to others, even without quattro.

Thanks.
    My Audi dealer had a transplanted French customer come into the dealership to buy a new A6 FWD -- I only know that much.

The dealership, not wanting to lose a customer and NOT wanting to sell anything but quattros, made the guy a deal to make certain they are known for ONLY selling quattros.

Seems to me that someone buying an A6 would ultimately be unhappy with the FWD version.

Often wrong, never uncertain. :surprise:
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Starting in 2007, AUDI will no longer provide the "AUDI ADVANTAGE" which provided oil changes, wiper blades, and other wear items that most all other (except BMW) dealers will not provide.

Audi says the dealers are losing money on the advantage program and need to turn around shrinking margins on new AUDI sales.

If Audi has shrinking dealer margins, then why did they just open up (yesterday) a new, $8 million dedicated AUDI dealership right here in St. Paul?
    Audi will still pay for the first 5000k miles service with synthetic oil at no charge for 2007 models.

After that, you're on your own. But you can "buy" the free maintenace pack from the dealer. I think the cost is around $500 for the 15, 25, 35, & 45 services.
    The maintenance costs should be built in to the price just like BMW -- this should not be an issue.

Audi may have made a mistake by doing this two years too early -- BMW copied Audi on this. Audi's reliability may no longer be an issue, but this is not the same as the warranty.

Yet it may be off putting for new customers. Us old timers always knew maint was built into the price.

It should remain thus.

What are they thinking?

Bury it in the price and it will be a non issue.

Make it a line item -- well, it makes BMW more attractive.

It is not like Audi's residual has overnight rocketed to BMW or Lexus or Infiniti levels. This is a perplexing development.

It is too soon.
    Pig-headed is what I would call it. Just hope I'm not offending any pigs:)

BTW
    I looked back on the original post and in Mark's defense he only responded to the poster. I also don't believe the poster's intent was to malign the Japanese. He was merely abbreviating the countries of origin.

Going back to maintenance, I agree. What it did was sweeten the pot for me. It gave me another reason to be loyal to Audi.
    . . .Audi has reason to look its competition in the eyes and proclaim "we are in the Premium Class."

However, Audi is still a relative newcomer to the Premium or LPS class. It only takes a few minutes to read posts here (on several edmunds blog topic sites) and on other Internet based blogs to get a sense that despite statistics to the contrary, Audi still has a bit of a reputation to overcome. Unfortunately, what needs to be overcome is STILL the "residue" of unreliability, the spotty dealer network (US) and even for some the remaining crumbs of "unintended acceleration."

Audi, too, in the US at least is hugely absent from what would seem to be obvious media outlets. Moreover, what is Audi's message these days "it is better to lead than follow?" is probably where we are, but for the life of me, I haven't seen much of anything about Audis in terms of TV or print advertising (of course excluding the car buff magazines where it is still possible to find Audi adverts.)

Who thought up the current "my fast" VW spots for the new GTI -- they are terrible, but they're everywhere.

Audi's tie to skiing, ski lifts, uphill slope runs demonstrating quattro's "superiority" are all but absent here on this side of the Atlantic. A tie-in with the Winter Olympics could only have helped Audi. VW is advertising the boy racer "my fast" GTI -- seems like a missed opportunity on Audi's part.

A good year with the new A6 is a great place to be if you're Audi of America. A Q7 coming soon and even the tantalizing previews of the new B8 A4 are all good things.

Dropping (or charging) for maintenance for the first 50K miles will not go unnoticed by loyal Audi customers and many folks daring to try an Audi will lose that little bit of comfort that a terrific campaign of yore instilled in new buyers -- "the 3 year test drive."

BMW will make commercial hay of this announcement. BMW still sells 300% as many 5's as Audi sells A6's. Dropping maintenance will not help this (from Audi's perspective), one would imagine.

Audis, to me -- and perhaps that is a key point, since I must represent the past not the future of Audi customers in the US -- have always been about being better and slightly less money than their competition AND coupled with that, historically, they were AWD (which is clearly becoming a defining characteristic for inclusion in the LPS ranks.)

They frittered away -- in the US -- their clear advantages, mainly via benign neglect and undercommunication. Now, they have become legitimate (but junior) members of the LPS Club. They are being noticed. They are not appointed to this club for life, however.

And, among the Premium German brands, I would argue their position in the club is still probationary. One slip. . .and they will be nudged out, forced to reinvent themselves to get back into the club in good standing.

The dropping of maintenance or the adding of $550 to the MSRP for full-maintenance seems to be a blunder. Imagine, too, if you said "$550? I'll pay as I go," and the cost for maintenance is $1,000 -- sour taste? I wouldn't want to risk it.

Raise the price of the car, post the cost of the free maintenance as a "value proposition" similarly to BMW.

Figure it out.

Audi has now dropped all stick-shifts, BMW still has them.

Audi has apparently dropped the Audi Advantage, BMW still touts it as if it was cast in stone and shall forever be.

Audi squandered a legitimate technical leadership position by downplaying quattro for -- about 20+ years -- while all the other guys decided "there must be something to this AWD concept, after all."

My 2005 A6 is the best Audi, indeed the best car I have ever owned from many perspectives. My sentimental favorite was my 1995 Audi S6, but in terms of refinement and quality, the 2005 blows it away.

Capitalize on this new greatness -- get rid of objections.

Cutting the AA program, at this time, seems two years too early.

One long-term Audi owner's opinion. :surprise:
    It is "black magic" as far as I can tell. I ordered mine on Sep 20th, and was told by my salesperson he would have an estimated delivery date within a week after registering the order with Audi. About 10 days later, he called with an expected delivery date of December 29th, which would have been 15 weeks. This was consistent with the 12-14 week expectation he set if you factor in the holidays. After about 5 weeks, in a moment of extreme self doubt I called the dealer to see if it was too late to change the interior color selection thinking the car was still in queue to be built. To my surprise, I was told it was already on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean (New England bound Audi's land in NJ). Three weeks later I took delivery which was a full 6 weeks earlier than originally advised. Of course I was delighted, but also somewhat concerned that with current planning tools and communications technology that they would be that far off in their estimates. When I mentioned this to the sales manager, I got a "shrug" in response implying he didn't know why it was so far off either.
    I assume they subscribe to the under promise over deliver school of customer satifsfaction.
    If you consider the extensive supply chain associated with car manufacturing and the logistics of shipping and distribution there are many points of risk and potential failure, so it's not surprising they hedge their bets. I guess I'm more annoyed with the lack of communication to the customer on the order status. I've special ordered my last 4 cars (all different makes and dealers) and the experience wasn't much better. Clearly this is not perceived as important enough to develop the business process and systems to facilitate this type of tracking in the industry. The technology certainly exists for a web based tracking system so the customer has some visibility into the order status. Heck...the place I order my coffee from practically tells me when they are picking beans!
    The first car company that figures out how to deliver an a-la-carte vehicle in three weeks or less (this isn't rocket science -- Dell & many others do it today) will carry the day for those who don't need dealers to: 1) SELL the car, 2) deal with a beat-up trade, or 3) facilitate upside-down financing, will carry the day.

Anyone want to bet that it'll be Audi?

Or any other European brand?

I'd like to think so, but. . .

Of course, all the dealers will have to be lined up and shot. The manufacturers would (probably) love to be able to deal with consumers directly today (or five years ago, when the internet matured sufficiently to support the concept). The "dealership" could evolve into an entity that provides test drives, service & trade-in evaluation/purchase.

I'm not holding my breath, but I do hope for better things . . . someday. . .if I live long enough.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I have to agree with most of you guys...AOA is really messing up by dropping it. It makes them look cheap. I had always thought Audi was a luxury brand that treated the customers as good or better than any other competing brand...this will not be the case anymore. If for appearances only, it just looks like they're trying to nickel and dime their customers...

I agree, just add it to the overall vehicle expense if its only $500+ for the maintenance...

I'm a little disappointed.